[PICTURES/VIDEOS] PCB restores Haris Rauf's central contract [Post Updated #127]

Do you agree with PCB’s decision to terminate Haris Rauf's Central Contract?

• Total voters

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Fast bowler Haris Rauf has been penalised by Pakistan Cricket Board, following a probe into his refusal to join Pakistan’s Test squad for the tour of Australia 2023-24.

After a thorough hearing process conducted by a PCB committee and taking into consideration the views of all stakeholders involved in the matter, Haris’ central contract has been terminated from December 1, 2023 and no NOC (No objection certificate) to play any foreign league will be granted up to June 30, 2024.

The PCB management provided a chance for a personal hearing to Haris in compliance with the principles of natural justice on 30 January 2024 and his response was found unsatisfactory.

The PCB states that playing for Pakistan is the ultimate honour and privilege for any sportsperson. Refusal to be part of Pakistan's Test squad in the absence of any medical report or justifiable reason is a material violation of the central contract.

A right decision from PCB?

In my opinion, a right decision has been taken. Those who are not available to play test cricket. They should not be awarded Central Contract. Happy with swift decisions from Mohsin Naqvi.

Good decision in my opinion. Also lovely to see he will not be allowed to play foreign leagues until after the T20 WC.

Last thing we need are last minute injuries playing useless leagues.

Doesn’t make much difference, he was getting belted all over and did not merit a place.

But shouldn’t the same rule apply to all meaning players like Shadab also being terminated?

Good decision in my opinion. Also lovely to see he will not be allowed to play foreign leagues until after the T20 WC.

Last thing we need are last minute injuries playing useless leagues.
This makes no sense.

If they have terminated his contract, he is free to do what he wants now.

It was only a matter of time, he was on shaky ground. Another example of a player who got too big for his boots but in reality did nothing to improve his game and had a stinking attitude.

PCB is mismanaging players as usual:
1) He should have never been selected in the Test squad in the first place because he is not a Test player
2) He was on the verge of injury anyway.
3) By removing him from the central contract, he can just retire from the National Team after the WC and play all the league cricket he wants. Which is beneficial to him anyway.

By doing this, the PCB incentivizes good players to retire early

1) He should have never been selected in the Test squad in the first place because he is not a Test player
3) By removing him from the central contract, he can just retire from the National Team after the WC and play all the league cricket he wants. Which is beneficial to him anyway.

He won’t play T20 World Cup now

Can't really blame cricketers in Pakistan for looking after their own careers, they don't have the same earning potential as other stars because of BCCI boycott. Pakistan is under no obligation to provide them with central contracts either, there is no villain here, each party is looking out for themselves.

Can't really blame cricketers in Pakistan for looking after their own careers, they don't have the same earning potential as other stars because of BCCI boycott. Pakistan is under no obligation to provide them with central contracts either, there is no villain here, each party is looking out for themselves.
National players like Haris, Babar amd Shadab earn lots and I mean lots of rupees in pakistan. Really no need to play each and every single T20 leauge.

From what angle is haris rauf good?

The ban should have been applied till June 2025. The ban should have been applied immediately after he refused to be part of the test team.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's posturing - look at the suspension !

He won't be granted an NOC for foreign leagues so he'll still play PSL.

He won't play IPL anyway. And in June, Pakistan are playing the T20 WC.

So what exactly is Haris Rauf missing out on ?

Him not playing test cricket in Australia was a blessing….

He would have struggled to put 4 overs together, Mir hamza, khurram shazad and Jamal did a remarkable job on those wickets….

He would have struggled to put 4 overs together, Mir hamza, khurram shazad and Jamal did a remarkable job on those wickets….
Agreed, admirable performance, the batters bottled it when Pak was in good positions.

Unfortunately for Haris rauf he brought this on himself by stating previously he wanted to play test cricket and when the call came he refused in favour of earning quick money.

Hafeez and Wahab clearly stated how they intended to use him wanting him to bowl quick short spells of 4 overs and a max of 12 overs a day. i.e 3 spells.

As a fast bowler I would be delighted to bowl short spells on fast bouncy Aus tracks and make a test career for himself but he messed up and was ill advised and will regret missing that opportunity when he retires.

Representing Pakistan is where a players name is made. No one cares about franchise cricket.

On the positive side we are blessed with fast bowlers.

Moving forward the PCB need to make 2 separate White ball T20 and ODI contracts with some players more suited to 50 overs and others T20.

Test contracts should only be given to the players who are committed and available to the 5 day format throughout the season and are willing to terminate franchise contracts and be available for test selection as long as the PCB pays them what they would of got playing franchise.

He breached his contract by refusing a call up for his country.

Unless his contract clearly stated he is exempt from red ball cricket he has nt got a leg to stand on.
They can't terminate his contract and not allow NOC. I don't think there are any leagues anyway but don't think its enforceable.

Furthermore he could say he wasnt fit enough to play 5 day cricket and hence sought an exemption.

The PCB have a habit of jumping the gun and playing to the galleries.

They should have refused the NOC for BBL or revoked it and dropped from the NZ tour.

Symptoms of the banana republic has infected cricket as well.

Atleast under imran , who had the more than competent wasim khan running the show, the cricket was at a respectable level.

Since Sethi, then zaka Ashraf, the cricketing side is now a laughing stock

That's the reality of it. Those guys all showed remarkable control and picked up wickets through being able to apply pressure to the batsmen. Haris can bowl some beauties, but in between he bowls a lot of rubbish and that's what the best batsmen are waiting for. Free runs.

Furthermore he could say he wasnt fit enough to play 5 day cricket and hence sought an exemption.
Yeah no the PCB sought medical clearance first before asking him to play the Test series. The medical panel gave them the go ahead that he is fit to play.

Rauf has messed up here and you should accept that CM Naqvi has made the right call here. No more player power nonsense!

Good riddance. A waste of a spot in the XI in any format and he should be kept as far away from the test team as possible. Says a lot about the "professionals" running Pakistan cricket if they in their right mind thought Haris Rauf was a test bowler

Beautiful move. Rauf deserves this humiliation.

A pathetic bowler with a pathetic attitude. Hopefully he will never play for Pakistan again.

They can't terminate his contract and not allow NOC. I don't think there are any leagues anyway but don't think its enforceable.

The PCB have a habit of jumping the gun and playing to the galleries.

They should have refused the NOC for BBL or revoked it and dropped from the NZ tour.
Personally I reckon Rauf will retire from internationals after the T20WC and pursue franchise cricket globally which wont require him to get an NOC.

He cant say he was nt fit bro because he told Hafeez and Wahab that he was fit and available and then backed out last minute.

The PCB changes every 5 minutes so its hard to keep up with the latest.

@Rana @Shoaib Akhtar 100 MPH

I never knew he declared himself fit for the tests. That changes things.

I still think the punishment is too much especially when he played against the kiwis...but theres not much he can do about it.

Retirment doesn't just seem likely....its almost certain.

Poor and unfair decision, Kohli doing the same in India did not create any such mess. If he was wrong then why did you allowed SSA to skip 3rd Test against Australia?

I still think the punishment is too much especially when he played against the kiwis...but theres not much he can do about it.

I remember seeing something where Hafeez and Wahab mentioned in separate press conferences that Ruaf said he had concerns over bowling long spells in the Aus series and they reassured him he would bowl 3 spells of 4 overs a day and that Shan wanted to use him as an enforcer and he agreed.

Then at the last minute he backed out and left them scrambling looking for a replacement as they wanted that 150k pace in Aus conditions and the like of Hasnain and Ihsanullah were already injured.

I reckon we might see Shaheen, Amir and Naseem leading the attack at the T20WC.

Rauf will be benched.

I know Shaheen has had a chat with him and Amir seems keen.

That increases our chances bro of lifting the trophy again.

Maybe maddy might join him aswell.

Poor and unfair decision, Kohli doing the same in India did not create any such mess. If he was wrong then why did you allowed SSA to skip 3rd Test against Australia?
Difference is Kohli cited personal reasons for opting out whereas Rauf was playing BBL after he backed out from Test squad. Rauf himself declared earlier his desire to play Test cricket.

I don't think PCB is at fault here.

Shaheen rested after months of playing series after series a lot needless ones like the afg series and asia cup and getting injured so its fair enough he sat out a test after coming back from injury.

Its not the same as Rauf agreeing to be part of the test team and then backing out last minute.

Shaheen rested after months of playing series after series a lot needless ones like the afg series and asia cup and getting injured so its fair enough he sat out a test after coming back from injury.

Its not the same as Rauf agreeing to be part of the test team and then backing out last minute.
If he would have known the consequences he would have never skipped it.

The fact that Wahab and PCB expected Rauf to go to Australia and play test cricket just goes to show their supreme level of delusion. Rauf has played 9 FC matches in his life. The one test he did play, he got injured mid-match. His body would have broken down in Australia in the very first test and he would have ended up on the injury shelf. Expecting a fast-bowler with barely any FC experience to play test cricket in Australia is exactly the kind of dangerous and brainless thinking that wastes so many of our fast-bowlers through unnecessary injuries. And from Wahab of all people to instigate this is especially ironic because he did the exact same thing before Pakistan's 2019 tour of Australia.

As for the PCB, why did they put the clause in centrally contracted players contracts that they are allowed to play any 2 leagues if they are not interested in honoring it? The simple fact is this, PCB is a completely incompetent organization that doesn't understand a single thing about how to run cricket or manage players. Their thinking is stuck in the stone age. Thing is, there's only so long they can emotionally blackmail players like this by using the national duty card. Because of leagues players have more power than ever now. And it won't be long before this kind of brazen misuse of power results in more players like Amir and Imad choosing to take their ball home and plying their trade across the world.

Rauf is not a long format player. At his age, he never will be. If you're expecting him to play test cricket then you likely need to get your brain checked because all you are doing is laying the groundwork for another one of your front-line limited-overs bowlers to get injured.

apparently Rauf said he had not played 4 day cricket for 18 months before being asked to play Tests & bowl 12-15 overs per day . What do you make of that & how hard it is to bowl 14 overs a day for say 2 days out of 4 which a normal Test of Pak would last in Australia ....

Yeah, just like you had the last laugh with your prediction about Naseem right?
What laugh? What has Naseem achieved in his career? Have you seen his numbers in Australia, England and New Zealand?

I will have the last laugh there too - Naseem is not the bowler his delusional fans think and he will not have the career his fans think.

Naseem, like Shadab before him, is one of those blue eyed boys whose reputation and perception are superior to their performance but eventually, the reality unfolds before everyone’s eyes.

Naseem will not escape accountability forever and when he does, it will be the beginning of the end for him. Let’s hope that it doesn’t take as long as it did for Shadab.

agree with this.

A fair decision was made.

PCB had to terminate his contract cause he violated it. Fair enough. Rauf knew he would not be able to give same performance in test cricket and sucks, so fair enough by him to pull out.

A ban would had been harsh, a termination of contract is fair

Central contracts are overrated in these times. No player cares about these central contracts. Only the Big 3 boards have the money to keep up with the leagues and offer million dollar contracts.

Haris would be the most relieved and delighted person right now. It frees him to secure millions from playing in T20 leagues without PCB NOC sword hanging over his head.

Only a matter of time when other Pakistani players refuse central contracts.

Pakistan cricket was already going downhill. Wouldn't be surprised if Pakistan cricket struggles to beat Sri Lanka and Afghanistan in the coming 3 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's the right decision. He didn't follow the terms of his contract.

As for the threat of retirement, I found an interesting bit on the PCB's rules regarding NOCs for retired players.

"Players who are retired from domestic and International cricket will, in line with ICC regulations, require a PCB NOC to participate in foreign leagues, tournaments and clubs up to and including 24 months after they officially announce their retirement."

If this is true, I don't think it's in the player's best interest to get into the PCB's bad books.

apparently Rauf said he had not played 4 day cricket for 18 months before being asked to play Tests & bowl 12-15 overs per day . What do you make of that & how hard it is to bowl 14 overs a day for say 2 days out of 4 which a normal Test of Pak would last in Australia ....

I guess this is the point.

The player can have his opinion, but if the call comes to represent Pakistan the PCB expect you to accept it and give it your all.

If you choose not to then it puts your contract at risk.

It’s a real line in the sand moment and no doubt Rauf is being made an example of here.

If someone has broken a contract stipulation, contraction termination is justified.

Contracted players should be always available except for exceptional cases.

Good decision by PCB which will set the example for others who refuse to play any specific format.

I guess this is the point.

The player can have his opinion, but if the call comes to represent Pakistan the PCB expect you to accept it and give it your all.

If you choose not to then it puts your contract at risk.

It’s a real line in the sand moment and no doubt Rauf is being made an example of here.
actually all about do YOU put your heart & body behind it ...

Slowly we will see more and more players around the world going the freelance route and preferring to play leagues rather than serve the nation in bilateral series under contract.

This could get messy, very messy!

Other players will be watching this stand-off with interest.

I get what PCB has done, but to cancel his central contract seems very harsh.

I suppose he’s still on a domestic players retainer, that’s why the PCB can refuse his NOC’s going forward. It’s the same as Ahmed Shahzad who isn’t on the PCB central contract but needed an NOC to play BPL

It’s a shame that the main thing people will remember about him is getting tonked by Kohli when we had the simple task of defending 28 from 8. Legacies are made in international cricket- test cricket being an excellent platform. His lack of belief in himself to become a front line bowler in all formats highlights the mental fragilities he’s shown at genuine pressure moments of his career thus far.

As for the wider implications of this decision, I fear that we may see more players in Pakistani cricket choosing franchises over country. Not that I blame them, of course. Make your money whilst you can.

Truly confusing the people who are applauding this nonsense decision.

Firstly, Rauf wasn't given a central contract based on Tests or FC at all, it was for his white ball cricket. Forcing a player to play Test cricket when he's never done it growing up and was literally picked out of the streets in his mid to late 20's is absurd. Have some common sense, why would this player be able to handle the rigors of Test cricket when he has spent most of his career playing a couple of overs in tape ball cricket. He hasn't been able to play much FC either because busy part of Pakistan's schedule is generally October to December which is when FC happens.

Secondly, Rauf has zero reason to trust PCB and their medical staff at all. Look at the shambolic Ihsanullah situation, the horrific Shaheen situation and the destruction of Junaid Khan. He literally looked tired during the WC because Pakistan even force him to play useless matches vs opponents like Afghanistan/Nepal etc. His body already broke down one innings in vs England test match too so to think, an already tired Rauf should be playing in a grueling Test series under hot weather in Australia is crazy. Rauf is totally right to think what's best for himself.

Thirdly, this will hurt Pakistan more than it helps. Now, Rauf is simply free to play any leagues you like and can simply reject the central contract next time it is even offered. It is far more lucrative to play in leagues and he will have demand all over the world. I think they have also opened up a can of worms because dealing with Pakistan, the endless critcism from fans & media, less money and nonsense from PCB up top is such a burden & headache. Who wouldn't just chose the easier league option where there is little to no criticism, no headaches and way more pay? More players might decline central contracts going forward and I wouldn't blame them. PCB has brought this upon itself.

And if people think PCB is going to hold the player hostage and deny their player's NOC, well we might just a player's revolt and a union eventually form. PCB has no friends anyways and making your own players enemies would seem entirely fitting on one of the dumbest organizations in the world.

This guy has played 9 FC matches in all and his last one was in Dec 22. Do you really expect him to play a test in Aus with such limited experience? Not to mention he is 30 and possibly unable to take the load of tests. He is a late starter,, body may not be able to handle the rigors of FC and Tests

Mods kindly change my vote. I have made a terrible mistake.

Haris is an innocent man.

Yes he should be wanting to play tests. But he doesn’t even have 10 proper FC games under his belt. So why the expectation.

I can’t let an innocent person go punished with my vote. Not on my watch.

He should move to Australia and play bbl get the Australian citizenship then get a ipl contract

I think it's the right decision. He didn't follow the terms of his contract.

As for the threat of retirement, I found an interesting bit on the PCB's rules regarding NOCs for retired players.

"Players who are retired from domestic and International cricket will, in line with ICC regulations, require a PCB NOC to participate in foreign leagues, tournaments and clubs up to and including 24 months after they officially announce their retirement."

If this is true, I don't think it's in the player's best interest to get into the PCB's bad books.
He can leave the country

Firstly, Rauf wasn't given a central contract based on Tests or FC at all, it was for his white ball cricket. Forcing a player to play Test cricket when he's never done it growing up and was literally picked out of the streets in his mid to late 20's is absurd. Have some common sense, why would this player be able to handle the rigors of Test cricket when he has spent most of his career playing a couple of overs in tape ball cricket. He hasn't been able to play much FC either because busy part of Pakistan's schedule is generally October to December which is when FC happens.

Secondly, Rauf has zero reason to trust PCB and their medical staff at all. Look at the shambolic Ihsanullah situation, the horrific Shaheen situation and the destruction of Junaid Khan. He literally looked tired during the WC because Pakistan even force him to play useless matches vs opponents like Afghanistan/Nepal etc. His body already broke down one innings in vs England test match too so to think, an already tired Rauf should be playing in a grueling Test series under hot weather in Australia is crazy. Rauf is totally right to think what's best for himself.

Thirdly, this will hurt Pakistan more than it helps. Now, Rauf is simply free to play any leagues you like and can simply reject the central contract next time it is even offered. It is far more lucrative to play in leagues and he will have demand all over the world. I think they have also opened up a can of worms because dealing with Pakistan, the endless critcism from fans & media, less money and nonsense from PCB up top is such a burden & headache. Who wouldn't just chose the easier league option where there is little to no criticism, no headaches and way more pay? More players might decline central contracts going forward and I wouldn't blame them. PCB has brought this upon itself.

And if people think PCB is going to hold the player hostage and deny their player's NOC, well we might just a player's revolt and a union eventually form. PCB has no friends anyways and making your own players enemies would seem entirely fitting on one of the dumbest organizations in the world.

Just to add one further point, if Pakistan did want to punish Haris, a demotion of the central contract to a lower grade would make sense if the initial contract was given on the basis he would play both red & white ball. Imad for example, was given a category C contract as just a white ball player and would it ever make sense if played Tests? No, of course not. Same with Zaman Khan who is category D, there is no expectation he will be playing Tests either. Same for Mohammad Haris.

PCB could have done this without completing alienating the player and potentially (likely) turning other contracted and domestic players against them.

Only the Big 3 boards have the money to keep up with the leagues and offer million dollar contracts.

PCB makes same money as ECB and CA. If you factor in cost of living index in Pakistan with that in Aus and Eng, PCB would be richer than both boards.

I disagree.

There is an obligation to fulfill your end of the contract. Was he not fine with accepting the $128,000+ a year he was making on this contract?

The moment it was his turn to do his job, he said no.

Don't sign a contract you won't fulfill (barring legitimate reasons like an injury/illness). If he felt he couldn't play Test cricket, this should have been mentioned to the PCB before signing the contract. You can't pretend to do one thing and then pull out later without consequences.

Whether the PCB staff is awful or not, he was being paid to do a job. I would side with him if he said all of this before including the examples you have given. It would be a courageous and meaningful stand.

Imagine the PCB kept him on the same contract but suddenly started paying him less because he wasn't playing Test cricket. Would he have been fine with this? I have a feeling he would have been crying all over the place and rightly so. It should work the other way around too.

The PCB is a messed up organization with lots of issues, but this is simply bad business from Rauf.

He can leave the country

Yes, but the process takes time.

Amir and Imad were already foreign citizens when they left. It was an easy transition. Rauf isn't getting citizenship right away and he would be iced out completely with no income if the PCB wanted.

I don't agree with doing that but it would be a nuclear option to set an example.

He could have been demoted in the central contract rather than just terminating his contract. He is a permanent member of white ball team so this decision makes no sense.

Last edited:
This could get messy, very messy!

Other players will be watching this stand-off with interest.

I get what PCB has done, but to cancel his central contract seems very harsh.
Definitely. There also like always seems to be lack of communication. If Haris doesn't want to play red ball Cricket then PCB should know that and make adjustments with him in the contract.

Terminating the contract just means Haris is not under any obligation to play for Pakistan.

Why not restructure the contracts to reflect which formats the players are
1. Willing to play and
2. Eligible to play (domestic/international form)

Rauf is never going to be a Test bowler.

He's barely an ODI bowler as we saw in the World Cup.

Also, players without central contracts should be allowed to play leagues without NOC's

Back