[PICTURES] Pick the ideal opening duo for Pakistan in the T20 World Cup 2024

What would be the best opening pair for Pakistan in ICC T20 World Cup 2024?

• Fakhar Zaman and Mohammad Rizwan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sahibzada Farhan and Saud Shakeel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
first 6 overs are power play overs and almost every team will play their pacers with only 2 fielders outside the 30 yard circle
so really you need to open with players who can make use of the pace and hit boundaries with ease

I would opt for saim ayub and iftikhar chacha they both need to last for 6 overs minimum

after the sixth over teams normally bring in spinners to slow down the run rate and it would be ideal for babar and rizwan to come and play tik tok

really there is no place for fakhar zaman unless he goes all out for at least the first 6 overs if he's to open

babar and rizwan has no business stat padding in the first 6 overs they can do that between overs 7 and 12 and let the middle order come in after that to hit out

first 6 overs are power play overs and almost every team will play their pacers with only 2 fielders outside the 30 yard circle
so really you need to open with players who can make use of the pace and hit boundaries with ease

I would opt for saim ayub and iftikhar chacha they both need to last for 6 overs minimum

after the sixth over teams normally bring in spinners to slow down the run rate and it would be ideal for babar and rizwan to come and play tik tok

really there is no place for fakhar zaman unless he goes all out for at least the first 6 overs if he's to open

babar and rizwan has no business stat padding in the first 6 overs they can do that between overs 7 and 12 and let the middle order come in after that to hit out
Chacha will fail at opening. It'll be hilarious lol.

I think putting iftikhar to open will be a bigger blunder than opting for riz-babar duo. He is nowhere near a top order guy and his failure is written on every ball he is going to face while opening. No better than Saim/babar combo atm based on the current form.

I’d open with Saim-fakhar, Babar and Rizwan as middle order. We already destabilised the old opening partnership whether a good or bad thing. Saim-Rizwan didn’t work last series. We have moved Babar to 3 now, I don’t know who else is going to perform there now. And I don’t think it’s easy to suddenly stick Saim down the order again. Let fakhar saim open, then Babar and Rizwan can come in if they fail middle order. This way at least 3 out of 4 players are playing in their best positions. And even while Rizwan might prefer opening, he’s had plenty of practice playing at 4 in ODIs to make it work. I think we should have tried out fakhar-Rizwan but this just isn’t as easy anymore, given we’ve now added Saim to the mix and fakhar has lost form. So I’d simply just try this.

Babar is an ideal candidate for no.4, Fakhar should be at 3. Saim and Rizwan should open.

Sahibzada Farhan and Saim Ayub because Saim Ayub can attack bowlers, while Sahibzada Farhan is skilled at maintaining a high strike rate by rotating the strike.

Former Pakistani opener Imran Nazir and Ahmed Shehzad shared their thoughts on the ongoing debate about who should be Pakistan's openers for the T20 World Cup 2024 during an appearance on a show on a local channel:

Imran Nazir stated:

“We can only talk about the players from the 15-man squad, not those who are already out. If I talk about Fakhar [Zaman], I think he is one of those batters [for opening]. If you cannot set a tune [of the match] in the first six overs, neither you can chase the target nor you can score a big total. For a long time, we have the same players opening the innings, Saim [Ayub] got the chance but he could not do much.”

“I would go with Fakhar opening the innings alongside [Mohammad] Rizwan and Babar would come at number three.”

Ahmed Shehzad replied:

“I will agree with some of Imran Bhai’s points because it is very important to have a good start in the first six overs. Gone are the days when you used to play in the UAE where you would score 140 or 145 and defend the target because of your elite spin attack."

“It is one thing to play a poor ball and time it perfectly, everyone can do that. But when you score boundaries on great balls then it affects the bowlers and the team. So, keeping everything in mind, Rizwan should open alongside Usman Khan."

“Usman Khan because if you have put him in the team, then play him at his position. He showed his potential in the last match [against England]. If Babar comes as an opener, then our middle order is already vulnerable, who will stand there? So, he should come in at number three and try to take the game deep with a good strike rate.”

Back