[PICTURES] Pick the ideal opening duo for Pakistan in the T20 World Cup 2024

What would be the best opening pair for Pakistan in ICC T20 World Cup 2024?

• Fakhar Zaman and Mohammad Rizwan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sahibzada Farhan and Saud Shakeel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
If you have to pick Pakistan's openers for T20 World Cup based on performance in PSL 9 which two players would you go with?

I will prefer Saim Ayub and Sahibzada Farhan as both can make use of PP quite effectiveley also will offer u the left right combo.

Um6Qfm9.png

1. Saim Ayub
2. Mohammad Rizwan
3. Babar Azam

That's the combination I'd like to see at the world cup. Maybe switch babar and rizwan, but I want Saim opening

Ideally I want to see Mohammad Haris and Saim Ayub open in the NZ series to see what two explosive openers could do but I doubt that happens

It seems like Pakistan may go with Saim and Rizwan which I think is not a bad combination.

1. Saim Ayub
2. Mohammad Rizwan
3. Babar Azam

That's the combination I'd like to see at the world cup. Maybe switch babar and rizwan, but I want Saim opening

Ideally I want to see Mohammad Haris and Saim Ayub open in the NZ series to see what two explosive openers could do but I doubt that happens
With such a pathetic strike rate by Rizwan which he carried throughout the PSL, I wouldnt prefer him to open and destroy the essence of the powerplay.

Babar is even a better option with Saim instead of Rizwan.

No thanks to Saud and Farhan.

Saim and Babar.

Rizwan can bat at 3 for now.

1. Saim Ayub
2. Mohammad Rizwan (WK)
3. Babar Azam

This will probably the best combination Pakistan will go with. I personally would want to try Saim Ayub & Fakhar Zaman against a weakened New Zealand side.

It seems like Pakistan may go with Saim and Rizwan which I think is not a bad combination.

Yeah but for that Rizwan has to play with a better strike rate which looks quite unlikely on the sluggish slow wickets of the Caribbean.

Saim Ayub
Babar Azam
Sahibzada Farhan
Fakhar Zaman
Mohammad Haris (wk)
Ifthikar Ahmed
Azam Khan
Shadab Khan (c)
Naseem Shah
Shaheen Afridi
Ihsanullah

With such a pathetic strike rate by Rizwan which he carried throughout the PSL, I wouldnt prefer him to open and destroy the essence of the powerplay.

Babar is even a better option with Saim instead of Rizwan.
Yeah ideally Rizwan learns to utilize the power play and not tuk tuk for a run a ball 25 before going off, but realistically he's guaranteed the opening spot come World Cup time

Yeah ideally Rizwan learns to utilize the power play and not tuk tuk for a run a ball 25 before going off, but realistically he's guaranteed the opening spot come World Cup time
yeah very much true because considering his batting style he cant play at any other number.

maybe after this PSL they go with Saim and Babar and send rizwan to number 3 position.
Pick your best Pakistani number 3

Rizwan should have batted at 3 for MS if that’s where he might fit in. He opened because he wants to open, but there are clearly much better options to open the innings than him.

Rizwan should have batted at 3 for MS if that’s where he might fit in. He opened because he wants to open, but there are clearly much better options to open the innings than him.
Actually number 3 also doesn't belong to him but the problem is that he can't play at any other number.

if u make him play at which number u will adjust him?

Actually number 3 also doesn't belong to him but the problem is that he can't play at any other number.

if u make him play at which number u will adjust him?
I have no issues not picking him

But pencil him down for 5 or 6. If it means Pakistan has to send a more aggressive player before him with fewer balls remaining, so be it.

I have no issues not picking him

But pencil him down for 5 or 6. If it means Pakistan has to send a more aggressive player before him with fewer balls remaining, so be it.
making him play at 5 or 6 means ... main na hi samjhun :ROFLMAO:

I would go for Saim and Fakhar. Fakhar has been off the boil as of late but he's our best impact player
bro whats the use of such impact player who only performs once in a year?

Its better to give a chance to any youngster who keeps performing but isn't getting a chance to play like Sahibzada Farhan.

The last two players I’d open with is Babar and Rizwan. Nobody seems to have learnt their lesson about them not being built for the big stage.

The best two of Saim, Fakhar, Farhan and Saud Shakeel.

Why must he play at all costs?

He isn't that bad to get dropped. Yeah I agree that his strike rate is a point of concern but not at a level where he can't find his place in the playing 11.

For me he's the best number 3 batter.

The last two players I’d open with is Babar and Rizwan. Nobody seems to have learnt their lesson about them not being built for the big stage.
According to some people, Rizwan is 100x the batter usman Khan is, so he should be our frontline opener and wicket keeper because usman Khan is only a psl basher and would fail in international whereas rizwan dominates quality bowlers.

It's not like both played in the same psl for the same team and faced the same bowlers.

Rizwan and babar scoring the most runs in the psl reminds of when people use to defend Ahmed shehzad and claimed he was our leading run scorer in 2014 😂😂.

The best two of Saim, Fakhar, Farhan and Saud Shakeel.
I personally wouldn't pick saud as an opener because he'd have the same sr issues as babar and rizwan.

The only difference is that saud is slightly superior as he can hit sixes, play across the park, and play according to the situation.

Edit: Nvm saud is alot superior then our past opening duo, I keep forgetting hoe awful they were and still are.

He isn't that bad to get dropped. Yeah I agree that his strike rate is a point of concern but not at a level where he can't find his place in the playing 11.

For me he's the best number 3 batter.
Rizwan would come down the order and fail consistently.

Hr can't function anywhere besides opening which he's genuinely horrible at.

The only thing I see happening is Riz and Saim opening with Babar at 3. No sure if there is any chance even 1 percent chance of Rizwan batting down the order.

I would probably just copy PZ’s top 3:

Saim
Babar
Harris

If it was up to me, I would open up with Saim and Harris and give them the license to go guns blazing from the very start. The goal would not be to play a long innings but rather to get an explosive start for the team.

Then I would follow up with Babar at 3 and Fakhar at 4. In the last T20 series, Fakhar looked much better at #4 than he ever has as an opener in T20. I believe he had a SR of around 165 while his career SR is just 130. Rizwan can come at 5 and Iftikhar at 6.

I did not mind Rizwan/Babar’s opening partnership because Pakistan has always struggled to find consistently good opening batsmen in any format, but with the rise of Saim I think we have better and more creative options.

Ideal pair: Saim and Sharjeel

Unideal pair but can be effective: Saim and Saud

Realistic pair: Saim and Babar/ Saim and Rizwan
Considering Sharjeel, at this point in his career, can’t even make it into a PSL team, how would he possibly be successful in international cricket?

Because he is the best ball striker in the country. Not my fault that the selectors in the PSL are too blind to see it
Hmmm, all PSL guys are so blind that they cannot see the form and talent he has. What about Umar Akmal? He is the best ball striker as well, he was also not picked. Sharjeel is a washed up individual. No need for him and he is not coming back until he blasts a record breaking domestic season.

Hmmm, all PSL guys are so blind that they cannot see the form and talent he has. What about Umar Akmal? He is the best ball striker as well, he was also not picked. Sharjeel is a washed up individual. No need for him and he is not coming back until he blasts a record breaking domestic season.
Asides from the 2016 PSL, Umar Akmal had been a flop in all seasons

Sharjeel on the other hand had been brilliant in every season he played with the exception of the 2023 cup. One poor season does not justify dropping a player for good as if that was the case than Babar, Rizwan or Shadab would not be playing this year.

I'd ironically try saud as an opener with saim, saud is 100x the batter that rizwan is. If their going for the one accumulator + one striker option saud is your best bet

Asides from the 2016 PSL, Umar Akmal had been a flop in all seasons

Sharjeel on the other hand had been brilliant in every season he played with the exception of the 2023 cup. One poor season does not justify dropping a player for good as if that was the case than Babar, Rizwan or Shadab would not be playing this year.
What about ahmed Shehzad? he was also in some form but got neglected,

Last edited:
I'd ironically try saud as an opener with saim, saud is 100x the batter that rizwan is. If their going for the one accumulator + one striker option saud is your best bet
I like Saud, but if we have the chance to have a completely new opening pair wouldn’t it be better to go with 2 guys who strike at a really high rate?

Don’t get me wrong, Saud hits some beautiful 6’s but his overall T20 SR is still only 131 and even Babar in international T20 the last year has struck it at 146 in 2023 and 143 so far in 2024 as well as having a higher SR than Saud in PSL this year. I don’t think Saud would be much of an upgrade from the present situation.

I like Saud, but if we have the chance to have a completely new opening pair wouldn’t it be better to go with 2 guys who strike at a really high rate?

Don’t get me wrong, Saud hits some beautiful 6’s but his overall T20 SR is still only 131 and even Babar in international T20 the last year has struck it at 146 in 2023 and 143 so far in 2024 as well as having a higher SR than Saud in PSL this year. I don’t think Saud would be much of an upgrade from the present situation.
The only problem I have with 2 strikers at opening is that they can hit big or go home.

Saim and haris are cool, but even in psl how many games do they reliably kick off?

Meanwhile having babar and rizwan open is disaster.

So one if babar can open along with saim then it's AlrightE ig. Regardless saud is a huge upgrade compared to rizwan.

I've maintained my stance on rizwan, he isn't the worst thing but he's overhyped beyond belief, it's just Pakistan doesn't really produce good wicket keepers and with usman Khan being a uae superstar we don't have any option.

Haris is risky, because unlike saim who can play cricket strokes and if groomed can become a superstar, haris is a hack who basically just blindly slogs and hopes for the best, sometimes it'll work, most of the time he'll fail.

Try Saim with Saud in the NZ series, and see how they go. What I like about Saud is his determination to take his chances and prove a point that's not just a soft test player. These types of cricketers must be given confidence by the board and the captain.

Saim
Fakhar
Babar
Rizwan
Iftikhar
Salman
Shadab
Shaheen
Usama
Pacer # 2
Pacer # 3

Don’t care about the two pacers alongside Shaheen because they are all poor. It doesn’t matter who is selected.

This will be my team for the T20 World Cup.

The only problem I have with 2 strikers at opening is that they can hit big or go home.

Saim and haris are cool, but even in psl how many games do they reliably kick off?

Meanwhile having babar and rizwan open is disaster.

So one if babar can open along with saim then it's AlrightE ig. Regardless saud is a huge upgrade compared to rizwan.

I've maintained my stance on rizwan, he isn't the worst thing but he's overhyped beyond belief, it's just Pakistan doesn't really produce good wicket keepers and with usman Khan being a uae superstar we don't have any option.

Haris is risky, because unlike saim who can play cricket strokes and if groomed can become a superstar, haris is a hack who basically just blindly slogs and hopes for the best, sometimes it'll work, most of the time he'll fail.
Agreed that Harris could be hit or miss. I think that there’s been players in T20 who do not have the best form but can be very explosive early on when the players are in the circle due to PP.

We just don’t seem to have too many big strikers of the ball that can be as explosive as Saim. Usman Khan looked really good as a top order batsmen in the PSL, but like you said he seems to want to play for UAE and not Pakistan.

Rizwan’s record to me is impressive because of his Test performances in SENA, not as much because of his T20 performances and his actual wicket keeping skills. After PSL 9, I think it’s clear that his SR as opener is too low for T20 and we may have better options.

Agreed that Harris could be hit or miss. I think that there’s been players in T20 who do not have the best form but can be very explosive early on when the players are in the circle due to PP.

We just don’t seem to have too many big strikers of the ball that can be as explosive as Saim. Usman Khan looked really good as a top order batsmen in the PSL, but like you said he seems to want to play for UAE and not Pakistan.

Rizwan’s record to me is impressive because of his Test performances in SENA, not as much because of his T20 performances and his actual wicket keeping skills. After PSL 9, I think it’s clear that his SR as opener is too low for T20 and we may have better options.
If I'm being 100% fair to rizwan, he's a gun keeper, and batting wise he's our 3rd best accumulator. He should be our front line in test atm since we don't have any other keeper.

My issue is t20 and odi, we have way too many accumulators and in odi having

Abdullah, Babar, rizwan and saud come one after the other is crippling.

In t20 rizwan is useless in any other position besides opening but I'd rather take him then someone like azam Khan. Only other option is haris who isn't as good as a keeper as rizzu and batting wise is hit and miss.

Pakistan's biggest problem is not being able to find talent for the future and always looking at short term fixes, anyone can see haris isn't the answer due to how he plays.

Logically our best options to open are saim and Babar as fakhar had made it clear he's useless as a t20 opener, unless fakhar comes back to his odi triple century form or he's not needed.

Thing with babar is that he's slow, but because babar is a proper batsmen with decent technique he can improve his sr at opening. Rizwan isn't that way, rizzu is mostly a keeper who punches > his weight, I can't see rizzu ever solving his leg side hack problems.

Ideally I would want haris at no 7, because he can slog for 2-3 overs which is good enough at the back end.

Babar and saim as openers

Ideal pair: Saim and Sharjeel

Unideal pair but can be effective: Saim and Saud

Realistic pair: Saim and Babar/ Saim and Rizwan
If Sharjeel is in, then the ideal pair is Fakhar and Sharjeel

Goldberg and Stone Cold

If I'm being 100% fair to rizwan, he's a gun keeper, and batting wise he's our 3rd best accumulator. He should be our front line in test atm since we don't have any other keeper.

My issue is t20 and odi, we have way too many accumulators and in odi having

Abdullah, Babar, rizwan and saud come one after the other is crippling.

In t20 rizwan is useless in any other position besides opening but I'd rather take him then someone like azam Khan. Only other option is haris who isn't as good as a keeper as rizzu and batting wise is hit and miss.

Pakistan's biggest problem is not being able to find talent for the future and always looking at short term fixes, anyone can see haris isn't the answer due to how he plays.

Logically our best options to open are saim and Babar as fakhar had made it clear he's useless as a t20 opener, unless fakhar comes back to his odi triple century form or he's not needed.

Thing with babar is that he's slow, but because babar is a proper batsmen with decent technique he can improve his sr at opening. Rizwan isn't that way, rizzu is mostly a keeper who punches > his weight, I can't see rizzu ever solving his leg side hack problems.

Ideally I would want haris at no 7, because he can slog for 2-3 overs which is good enough at the back end.

Babar and saim as openers
Yeah, don’t get me wrong, Rizwan definitely has a limited shot selection which is partially why his T20 SR is low. The thing is though even in T20 it’s not like we have too many people knocking on the door to take the WK spot. Usman Khan wants to play for UAE and Azam Khan has not made it past 10 runs in any of the chances he’s been given in international cricket. Harris is a decent part time keeper and it may be worth the change if we can the batting even if the WK gets a little worse. I don’t think this change will happen until the next WC cycle though.

I think Iftikhar at 6 and Harris at 7 works as well in T20. Could give us explosive finishes to matches. If Fakhar can keep his strike rate high at 4 it gives us a pretty fast scoring middle order and Saim is great at the top.

In general, we just do not produce too many super explosive batsmen. We find some who perform for a little bit, like Asif Ali, Haider Ali, etc but none seem to be consistently good. In terms of ODI, since we do not play matches for a long time I think our openers will probably be Saim + Abdullah since I’m not sure how much longer Fakhar intends to play.

Yeah, don’t get me wrong, Rizwan definitely has a limited shot selection which is partially why his T20 SR is low. The thing is though even in T20 it’s not like we have too many people knocking on the door to take the WK spot. Usman Khan wants to play for UAE and Azam Khan has not made it past 10 runs in any of the chances he’s been given in international cricket. Harris is a decent part time keeper and it may be worth the change if we can the batting even if the WK gets a little worse. I don’t think this change will happen until the next WC cycle though.

I think Iftikhar at 6 and Harris at 7 works as well in T20. Could give us explosive finishes to matches. If Fakhar can keep his strike rate high at 4 it gives us a pretty fast scoring middle order and Saim is great at the top.

In general, we just do not produce too many super explosive batsmen. We find some who perform for a little bit, like Asif Ali, Haider Ali, etc but none seem to be consistently good. In terms of ODI, since we do not play matches for a long time I think our openers will probably be Saim + Abdullah since I’m not sure how much longer Fakhar intends to play.
Saim ayub, Abdullah and saud need to be properly invested in for the future as all 3 have potential to become all format batsmen.

If these guys were given to bcci management, bcci would make an effort to give them the best foreign coaches + keep them away from the media + Prepare difficult pitches for them and not only give them confidence but expose them to tough bowlers and bowling conditions.

Problem with Pakistan is that we don't manage players properly. Players like umar akmal, sami aslam in the past were extremely talented but constant media exposure, order shuffling, dropping, and weird nonsense caused them to turn into jokes and develop attitude problems.

I hope pcb for God sakes learns, since saim, saud and Abdullah all have the ability to play classy and proper cricketing strokes with great timing and they have extremely good footwork which is extremely impressive given their age, especially for saim and Abdullah.

These 3 deserve to be given proper ropes.

Rizwan would come down the order and fail consistently.

Hr can't function anywhere besides opening which he's genuinely horrible at.
Usually the number 3 batter can take things a bit easier to build his innings but not the opening slot.

Management can try him at number 3 against NZ and then better decide where he can play better but for the opening slot, it's a big no for him.

Saim and RIz will be seen opening in the upcoming series and they will be opening in the world cup as well. This is a Reality.

1. Saim
2. Babar (because Babar can only play pace)
3. Rizwan
4. Fakhar/Irfan Khan Niazi/Mohammad Haris
5. Imad (if available)
6. Shadab
7. Ifthikar
8. Shaheen (I don't want him in the team tbh, but no option)
9. Amir (If he agrees to join)/Mhd. Wasim Jr
10. Naseem Shah
11. Abrar/Usama Mir/Mohammad Ali

1. Saim
3. Rizwan
5. Imad (if available)
6. Shadab
7. Ifthikar
10. Naseem Shah
This will be a pretty strong squad, with loads of bowling options and batting down to Shaheen. Mohammad Ali looks like a reliable death over bowler.

Whatever people say, you guys will have a big chance of winning if Amir and Imad join Pak. Amir especially.

1. Saim
3. Rizwan
5. Imad (if available)
6. Shadab
7. Ifthikar
10. Naseem Shah
at number 4 position i will rather prefer Azam Khan in place of Fakhar.

i am afraid that managemnet will make saim to play at number 3 and will bring Babar and Rizwan back at opening.

Poll has been added. Please vote and comment.

For me, in the current scenario, Babar and Saim look ideal because they were in good form in PSL as well. If not this one then Riz and Saim will be the one to use considering Rizwan has no other place to be adjusted so better to play him as opener or just rest him.

I picked Babar and Rizwan

I have come to terms that the only way this torture can end is if both have one more go and fail once again. Only then will this bhooth on their fans and once and for all!

We can try Babar and Rizwan again.

They will be especially lots of fans believing in them once they thrash NZ D in the upcoming series.

I personally wouldn't pick saud as an opener because he'd have the same sr issues as babar and rizwan.

The only difference is that saud is slightly superior as he can hit sixes, play across the park, and play according to the situation.

Edit: Nvm saud is alot superior then our past opening duo, I keep forgetting hoe awful they were and still are.

How many sixes has saud hit in his career ?

Saim
Rizwan
Babar
Fakhar
Azam Khan
Iftikhar
Shadab
Imad
Shaheen
Naseem
Ali

bro whats the use of such impact player who only performs once in a year?

Its better to give a chance to any youngster who keeps performing but isn't getting a chance to play like Sahibzada Farhan.
Would not be against Farhan either, always been for giving prospects chances. But at the same time for every 15-20% of games Fakhar fires in he will 100% win that game in emphatic fashion

Would not be against Farhan either, always been for giving prospects chances. But at the same time for every 15-20% of games Fakhar fires in he will 100% win that game in emphatic fashion
but we cant risk for the remiaing 80% games on risk in which fakhar wont click, he is the most inconsistent batsman which pakistan ever had.

In my opinion the only utility of fakhar is to use him as an opener otherwise make him play at number 4 is a just waste of resource.

but we cant risk for the remiaing 80% games on risk in which fakhar wont click, he is the most inconsistent batsman which pakistan ever had.

In my opinion the only utility of fakhar is to use him as an opener otherwise make him play at number 4 is a just waste of resource.
I agree with him opening being a must. Got to give a player like that a full run of the powerplay, and if he doesn't get through that period there is at least a chance to rebuild.

I agree with him opening being a must. Got to give a player like that a full run of the powerplay, and if he doesn't get through that period there is at least a chance to rebuild.
For that Babar and Rizwan both need to sacrifice their opening slots and give a chance to Fakhar to open with Saim Ayub in the series against NZ to test the combination.

For that Babar and Rizwan both need to sacrifice their opening slots and give a chance to Fakhar to open with Saim Ayub in the series against NZ to test the combination.
We already saw Babar step aside for Saim in the reverse series, but Riz might not do the same for Fakhar since the thinktank seem to be obsessed with trying to shoehorn him in at 4. IMO Saim Fakhar Babar Riz is the ideal top 4 to give a test run

I will still say that Babar and Saim should open. They both compliment each other very well as we have seen in PSL. Rizwan has been below par and might not be a good choice now to open.

I will still say that Babar and Saim should open. They both compliment each other very well as we have seen in PSL. Rizwan has been below par and might not be a good choice now to open.
Yeah they both can also offer left right combination which could be tricky to handle for the bowlers.

Back