[PICTURES/VIDEO] Babar Azam returns to training ahead of the Test series vs South Africa

My team for the first test match

1. Abid Ali
2. Shan Masood
3. Azhar Ali
4. Haris Sohail
5. Fawad Alam
6. Mohammad Rizwan (c) (wk)
7. Faheem Ashraf
8. Yasir Shah
9. Shaheen Shah Afridi
10. Muhammad Abbas
11. Naseem Shah

Anyone know how good Imran Butt is, and how he compares to the other middle-order batsman in this squad, because I don't know anything about him

Imran Butt is originally an opener but for some reason they played him as a middle order batsman in the practise game, i reckon though that this is because Haris is harboring an injury. Imran Butt though to his credit has batted well in the last 2 seasons of QeA so as an opener his selection is justified but if Haris is injured they might as well play him at 4.

Babar not being fit was expected.

However, if the pitch is a green mamba, then the gap between the teams can decrease especially if bowlers can bundle out the opposition for a cheap score in the first innings.
Amir was pretty useless here in 2016, and was neutralized by Jeet Raval. Abbas is definitely an upgrade over Sohail, Rahat and Imran can take quick wickets with the new ball. Shaheen as well can get the ball talking. Naseem remains an unknown quantity. I certainly hope he is not just a hit the deck bowler like Wahab which would turn out to be a negative on these pitches.

Pictures of Pakistan Test and Shaheen Squads

76e4bc63-c5a7-43af-b801-21361bfd3916.jpg4c54e33d-7a67-44d2-8237-941cc1e0f317.jpg95d77b84-402d-444d-aca8-cbec471e65eb.jpgc1919110-959c-4f0c-b2f4-5ec8a09084a3.jpgaf9cdf30-5af0-4bdf-b219-3360c5956539.jpg067026dd-ef20-4b67-b2d8-d4802e9ac9b7.jpg

Both Babar Azam and Imam-ul-Haq have started batting practice after 10 days after injury - both are being monitored by PCB medical panel.

3abc81ab-f8e5-4f06-ae82-3e87e3431759.jpg73ce6c0b-6fbd-4fd8-a9ea-7c22ddc21a69.jpgb6476afc-774a-4d0f-ada5-2ede8bd327c8.jpgee33f6db-83d3-43a5-aa46-43bfbef9a796.jpg

Last edited:
Pakistan all-rounder Shadab Khan has been ruled out of the first Test against New Zealand due to a thigh injury following the conclusion of his side’s four wickets victory in the third T20I in Napier on Tuesday.

Shadab will now undergo MRI scans in Tauranga on Thursday, following which a further update on the exact nature of the injury and time needed to return to competitive cricket will be provided.

As Shadab is not available for, at least, the 26-30 December Test at Mount Maunganui, the team management has included left-arm spinner Zafar Gohar as a reinforcement. Zafar has joined the Test side from Hamilton where he was preparing with the Pakistan Shaheens for Sunday’s T20 match against the Northern Knights.

In the 2019-20 first-class Quaid-e-Azam Trophy, Zafar was the third most successful bowler with 38 wickets, including five four-fers and one five-fer for Central Punjab. In the National T20 Cup 2020-21, he took eight wickets for Central Punjab.

The 25-year-old has so far taken 144 wickets in 39 first-class matches, including six five-wicket hauls in an innings and two ten-wicket match hauls.

Squads

Pakistan squad for Tests: Mohammad Rizwan (captain for 1st Test), Abid Ali, Azhar Ali, Faheem Ashraf, Fawad Alam, Haris Sohail, Imran Butt, Mohammad Abbas, Naseem Shah, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Shaheen Afridi, Shan Masood, Sohail Khan, Yasir Shah and Zafar Gohar. (Babar Azam, Imam-ul-Haq and Shadab Khan not available for the first Test).

Pakistan Shaheens for T20s: Rohail Nazir (captain, wicketkeeper), Abdullah Shafique, Amad Butt, Danish Aziz, Haider Ali, Haris Rauf, Hussain Talat, Iftikhar Ahmed, Khushdil Shah, Mohammad Hasnain, Musa Khan, Usman Qadir, Wahab Riaz and Zeeshan Malik.

Upcoming matches:

26-30 Dec – 1st Test v New Zealand, Mount Manganui
27 Dec – 1st T20 v Northern Knights, Hamilton
29 Dec – 2nd T20 v Wellington Firebirds, Wellington
1 Jan – 3rd T20 v Canterbury, Lincoln
3-7 Jan – 2nd Test v New Zealand, Christchurch
3 Jan – 4th T20 v New Zealand XI, Lincoln
5 Jan – 5th T20 v New Zealand XI, Lincoln

Pakistan all-rounder Shadab Khan has been ruled out of the first Test against New Zealand due to a thigh injury following the conclusion of his side’s four wickets victory in the third T20I in Napier on Tuesday.

Shadab will now undergo MRI scans in Tauranga on Thursday, following which a further update on the exact nature of the injury and time needed to return to competitive cricket will be provided.

Dropping like flies, these guys. So far behind the rest of the world when it comes to fitness. Just sad.

Imran Butt is originally an opener but for some reason they played him as a middle order batsman in the practise game, i reckon though that this is because Haris is harboring an injury. Imran Butt though to his credit has batted well in the last 2 seasons of QeA so as an opener his selection is justified but if Haris is injured they might as well play him at 4.

i think they want to give abid this series before hes dropped and the only Imran could have been played is at 4 and i actually think he should bat at 4 come the first test even thou hes an opener

Bearing in mind injuires i would go with this.4 fast bowler's and 2 part time spinners.big series for abid,fawad,haris,azhar

Shan
Abid
Azhar
Imran butt
Haris Sohail
Fawad
Rizwan
Fahim
Abbas
Shaheen
Musa

Bearing in mind injuires i would go with this.4 fast bowler's and 2 part time spinners.big series for abid,fawad,haris,azhar

Shan
Abid
Azhar
Imran butt
Haris Sohail
Fawad
Rizwan
Fahim
Abbas
Shaheen
Musa

Yasir did ok in that practise game if i remember correctly so i'd give him the nod, I don't think Haris will play to be honest. I'd like to play Fawad at no.5 also as i think this is his natural slot and dude Musa will get smashed to pieces if he plays i'd go with Naseem any day of the week.

Two of them are not automatic selections
And babar loss could be harris gain

We also need shafiq in there considering his record against nz

Nz were Clueless against yasir and hasan ali this time two years ago

Should be low scores considering the batting line up of each team

Yasir did ok in that practise game if i remember correctly so i'd give him the nod, I don't think Haris will play to be honest. I'd like to play Fawad at no.5 also as i think this is his natural slot and dude Musa will get smashed to pieces if he plays i'd go with Naseem any day of the week.

Yes yasir did ok he proberly will get the nod to play but personaly you dont need a spinner in new zealand unless it goes to the 5th day which i doubt it will so i stil wouldnt include him.if haris and fawad play they both can bowl overs and can bat even though am not a fan off haris sohail.as for naseem he needs to perform hes been given enough chances

Yes yasir did ok he proberly will get the nod to play but personaly you dont need a spinner in new zealand unless it goes to the 5th day which i doubt it will so i stil wouldnt include him.if haris and fawad play they both can bowl overs and can bat even though am not a fan off haris sohail.as for naseem he needs to perform hes been given enough chances

I don't think Haris is gonna play besides i think he will be forced to an early retirement or needs serious rehabilitation.

This is good news as a New Zealand fan. Pakistan losing there key players is good for us.

This is good news as a New Zealand fan. Pakistan losing there key players is good for us.

New Zealand was always going to win. I think you’d have enjoyed the series win more though if it was more competitive!

I don't think Haris is gonna play besides i think he will be forced to an early retirement or needs serious rehabilitation.

he shouldnt have been in the squad in the first time hes always had injuires concerns.but if he is fit he should play

he shouldnt have been in the squad in the first time hes always had injuires concerns.but if he is fit he should play

It should've been Saud Shakeel. I reckon Haris should retire from tests and focus on the shorter format. My team going into the SA series:

1. Shan Masood
2. Omair Bin Yousaf/Imran Butt
3. Babar Azam
4. Saud Shakeel
5. Fawad Alam
6. Muhammad Rizwan
7. Sajid Khan/Zafar Gohar/Numan Ali
8. Yasir Shah
9. Shaheen Afridi
10. Naseem Shah
11. Muhammad Abbas

It should've been Saud Shakeel. I reckon Haris should retire from tests and focus on the shorter format. My team going into the SA series:

1. Shan Masood
2. Omair Bin Yousaf/Imran Butt
3. Babar Azam
4. Saud Shakeel
5. Fawad Alam
6. Muhammad Rizwan
7. Sajid Khan/Zafar Gohar/Numan Ali
8. Yasir Shah
9. Shaheen Afridi
10. Naseem Shah
11. Muhammad Abbas

yes i think 90 percent of the fans wanted saud in the squad and he deserves it to.

I really like the players you have picked such as omair,Imran butt,saud but i would say omair proberly needs 1 more season i rate him highly along with imran butt and would play imran.my team would be .if its a swinging pitch then 3 seamers pluss
Shan masood
Imran butt
Babar
Saud
Alam
Rizwan
Gohar/shadab
Yasir
Sajid/hassan ali/naseem
Shaheen
Abbas

Shadab Khan advised six-week rest

Tauranga, 26 December 2020:

Shadab Khan will miss the second Test against New Zealand in Christchurch and the home series against South Africa after being advised a six-week rest following MRI scans confirmed injury to the left thigh.

Shadab was diagnosed with “high grade full thickness tear to the Rectus Femoris muscle”, an injury he had sustained during his side’s four wickets victory over New Zealand in the Napier T20I earlier this week.

Team Doctor Dr Sohail Saleem: “The MRI reports have confirmed it is a fresh injury and not the one that had sidelined him from the Zimbabwe series last month.

“The latest injury will be treated conservatively and Shadab will undergo a six-week rehabilitation programme during which he will have weekly ultrasound scans. After the competition of the six-week period, the medical panel will access and evaluate the injury before making a call on Shadab’s return to competitive cricket.”

The Christchurch Test will be played from 3-7 January, while the two-Test and three T20I series between Pakistan and South Africa will be played from 26 January to 14 February. Shadab will remain with the side in New Zealand, where he has started his rehabilitation programme under the supervision of the medical team.

Imam-ul-Haq to return home after being ruled out of the 2nd Test, and will now head home to Lahore (departing tomorrow from Auckland)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Babar Azam's rehab from injury is continuing well and he is now practicing with a hard ball with a view to him being fit for the 2nd Test <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NZvPAK?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NZvPAK</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1342767126260580352?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 26, 2020</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good news for Babar. Imam going home is a bad one..
Shadab advised 6 weeks rest is a very bad one..

Whats happening in the team, players go down like pack of cards one after another. amir retiring from all formats, Imad showing some anger and walking away in the middle of 2nd t20...

NZL commentators laughing at every player is acting as captain...Didnt see these when :ma:sarf2 are incharge...

Last edited:
Reports indicate that Babar's participation in the 2nd Test looking in doubt also.

Yikes, bad news. I guess the only thing Pakistan can do now is replace Haris with Imran Butt

Reports indicate that Babar's participation in the 2nd Test looking in doubt also.

PCB Video shows him training but not clear exact state of fitness

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/pitm96" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/pitm96" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Even if isn't 100% fit he should play. Him holding the bat with one hand is better than some of our players.

Even if isn't 100% fit he should play. Him holding the bat with one hand is better than some of our players.

I dont think he will be risked to play if he isnt 100 percent as thiers another tour in less than a month

not a 100%

watch him bat that's not the Babar we know he isn't holding it properly

Neil Wagner bowled with two broken toes, but we have 2 players with a bit of bruising on the thumb that can’t hold a bat.

Babar making good progress it seems. But not wearing a helmet seems to indicate a light batting workout?

Eqn1ZX_XcAQchcE.jpgEqn1TJ8XcAMjj99.jpg

Looking good Babar

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/90ccuk" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Team needs Babar's 100% capability to score runs and he should not be burdened by the captaincy, not in tests at least. let Babar bat and let Rizwan lead the team.

Guy needs to build some muscle to add another gear to his otherwise impressive repertoire. He’s a solid old school test player with 4th gear reserved for ODI, T20. He’s capable of doing more.

Back