[PICTURES/VIDEOS] Did Suryakumar Yadav touch the boundary rope while taking the catch to dismiss South Africa's David Miller?

Did Suryakumar Yadav touch the boundary rope while taking the catch to dismiss South Africa's David

• Total voters
OK. Sample size is not big enough here (less than 100). I think Twitter/FB/Instagram have far more dissatisfied people.

I was simply curious why umpire didn't use a magnifying angle for such an important game.

Anyway, it's all good. Let's move on. India have won.
because you do not need a magnifying angle for that catch. There are videos on x that show his foot being several inches inside the rope at all times, when he has the ball in his hands. There's very conclusive evidence.

Even I thought he touched the rope but later they later showed a different angle from the back and his foot was comfortably away from the hoarding.

I posted this 3 days ago but i just love how all the usual suspects just decided to ignore this bit and continued to have a moan about this for obvious reasons.

There were a good 5-6 inches between SKY's foot and the boundary cushion when viewed from behind the boundary.

Absolutely distasteful to undermine one of the most iconic catches of all time just because it helped a team you hate , become the world champions.

I believe Ajmal was robbed in 2011 semi. That was out.

India got benefited many times with these close decisions.

Bucknor was a legendary umpire despite occasional mistakes.
Arre just say it , its a conspiracy by BCCI. Any Achievement by India has to be either bought and if Pakistan loses either it was match fixing or deliberate under performance. It is a divine mandate for the chosen people that the Greens are supposed to win everything on this good earth in a fair play.

I don't think that there is anything left to say now. Many well-known people from around the world acknowledged that catch as a fair one. People might get confused because there are many videos out there showing something fishy but I think it was a fair catch.

People are confused because the umpire made that decision too soon without much zooming in and out during that catch. Otherwise it as okay.

Arre just say it , its a conspiracy by BCCI. Any Achievement by India has to be either bought and if Pakistan loses either it was match fixing or deliberate under performance. It is a divine mandate for the chosen people that the Greens are supposed to win everything on this good earth in a fair play.
This guy just called Bucknor a legendary umpire only because of his horrible umpiring vs India. That's the only yardstick.

It's like how Australia and Ricky Ponting became Pakistan's hero after he thrashed India in the 2003 WC final :dhoni

I don't think that there is anything left to say now. Many well-known people from around the world acknowledged that catch as a fair one. People might get confused because there are many videos out there showing something fishy but I think it was a fair catch.

People are confused because the umpire made that decision too soon without much zooming in and out during that catch. Otherwise it as okay.
I was watching a repeat and throughout the game, the 3rd umpire was looking not waste time on every review. And he got everything right.

People are confused because the umpire made that decision too soon without much zooming in

Why would he zoom in?

The third umpire was Richard Kettleborough , who's one of the best umpire of this generation and one who has enough common sense to understand that the boundary cushions would "move" a lot differently when a fielder comes in contact with them no matter how little.

One replay was crystal clear for anyone with functioning eyes that there was zero contact with SKY's shoe and the cushion.

Why would he zoom in?

The third umpire was Richard Kettleborough , who's one of the best umpire of this generation and one who has enough common sense to understand that the boundary cushions would "move" a lot differently when a fielder comes in contact with them no matter how little.

One replay was crystal clear for anyone with functioning eyes that there was zero contact with SKY's shoe and the cushion.
There is a standard procedure that all umpires have to follow no matter if a kettleborough or aleem dar. Protocols have to be followed.

At this point, I almost want the catch to be illegal so I can enjoy complaints about it for the rest of my life.

Same here. I hope there's a camera angle of showing the catch to be illegal somewhere(they won't find it cos it was obviously a clear catch.)

But the reactions and crying here would be incredible.

There is a standard procedure that all umpires have to follow no matter if a kettleborough or aleem dar. Protocols have to be followed.
Should the umpire check for ultraedge even if the batter shoulders arms and gets hit on the pad just because it's the "protocol" to check for ultraedge?

And by the way... there's no protocol that umpires should be using the zoom in for every thing

Last edited by a moderator:
Should the umpire check for ultraedge even if the batter shoulders arms and gets hit on the pad just because it's the "protocol" to check for ultraedge?

And by the way... there's no protocol that umpires should be using the zoom in for every thing
It is umpires primary job to take every step possible to ensure correct decision is made. Sometimes there is a clear cut decision made but umpires still ensures all possible options using the technology. Nothing wrong in that.

Even in 2007 T20 final, BCCI cheated Pakistan… Pakistan needed 6 runs in 4 balls, Misbah hooked the ‘real ball’ which went for six, but we saw on television the ball was caught by Shreeshath which was thrown by Indian player at the same time when Misbah hits the shot….. BCCI paid well for cameraman who edited in live action

It is umpires primary job to take every step possible to ensure correct decision is made. Sometimes there is a clear cut decision made but umpires still ensures all possible options using the technology. Nothing wrong in that.
Brother, I understand your heart breaks with India's win but let's not go into this conspiracy mindset.

Let's not deflect. You have claimed about a "Standard procdure" "protocol" .. then there must be some documentation of the same. Please share the link. I don't mind proven wrong with facts, its always an opportunity to learn.
Yes this is umpire standard job and procedure while he is doing his job. Do you need laws and rule books for a job you are supposed to do??

tell me what is the primary job of umpire???

Yes this is umpire standard job and procedure while he is doing his job. Do you need laws and rule books for a job you are supposed to do??

tell me what is the primary job of umpire???
ok I will answer and then get back to giving proof of the claim that "zooming is part of the standard procedure"
Primary job of umpire is to give honest decisions in the game without bias.
Now i have answered your query. Get to reply back to your supposed claim.
Another question, (this is secondary) Was zooming done in any of the 3rd umpire decision in this tournament? I dont recall zoom being used for years now. But again, I would like to know the source of your claim that zoom is part of standard protocol.

ok I will answer and then get back to giving proof of the claim that "zooming is part of the standard procedure"
Primary job of umpire is to give honest decisions in the game without bias.
Now i have answered your query. Get to reply back to your supposed claim.
Another question, (this is secondary) Was zooming done in any of the 3rd umpire decision in this tournament? I dont recall zoom being used for years now. But again, I would like to know the source of your claim that zoom is part of standard protocol.
Use of technology is a standard part of umpiring now. No laws are needed for ICC to let umpires know about this stuff. It is their job to make sure they check all angles.

2.6 Fair and unfair play

The umpires shall be the sole judges of fair and unfair play.

the umpire has to ensure the fair play and for that he should take whatever step are necessary and technology is one of them.
I don't see it written anywhere that Umpires has to zoom in.

The umpire decided that he already had enough evidence to judge the decision.

I don't see it written anywhere that Umpires has to zoom in.

The umpire decided that he already had enough evidence to judge the decision.

Good for him then. Where did I complaint that the umpire made a wrong decision or the right decision??

I brought forward a view that many people have in mind and are questioning about.

Suryakumar Yadav while speaking to a local sports media:

"When I started running I was not thinking of the catch. I was running with every iota of strength in my legs to make sure I somehow saved the boundary. I wanted to throw the ball back in and save two or three runs at least for the team. And honestly, I was not thinking of the catch. When I reached the ball and it came into my hands I realised there was an opportunity for me to take the catch and toss the ball up. I felt I could go out and come back in to complete that catch. I had 5-7 seconds to make that call and let me say to you I will forever remember these 5-7 seconds in my life. I made the call and it worked out for us."

Use of technology is a standard part of umpiring now. No laws are needed for ICC to let umpires know about this stuff. It is their job to make sure they check all angles.
Please don't deflect, you claimed its "Standard procedure" to use zoom, please share the rules of umpriring procedures by ICC or MCC or just tell me when was the last time zoom was used in a close call in an ICC tournament? (The second part is me giving you a way out) If you cant do either its better to back down from your conspiracy mindset.

Please don't deflect, you claimed its "Standard procedure" to use zoom, please share the rules of umpriring procedures by ICC or MCC or just tell me when was the last time zoom was used in a close call in an ICC tournament? (The second part is me giving you a way out) If you cant do either its better to back down from your conspiracy mindset.

This was the final over of a final of a World Cup. Why was this decision taken in 2 minutes? Why not more angles? That's the question. Why was the umpire in such a hurry?

This was the final over of a final of a World Cup. Why was this decision taken in 2 minutes? Why not more angles? That's the question. Why was the umpire in such a hurry?
Because it was evident to everyone but bitter Pakistanis. It was right below the commentary box and if you see the commentators clip they all got up saw it live from the best angle and no one had an issue with it.
Enough angles were used and decision made, India was playing South Africa. Literally no one from South African cricket fraternity is talking about it but you guys are just roye jaa rahe ho.

For your happiness, bhai paisa diya hai BCCI ne. Khareed liya hai Cup. Agli trophy thoda aur paisa daal denge. :srini

@Dhakar Pola : Bangla fans have matured a little bit but our Pak bros continue to regress :)

Because it was evident to everyone but bitter Pakistanis. It was right below the commentary box and if you see the commentators clip they all got up saw it live from the best angle and no one had an issue with it.
Enough angles were used and decision made, India was playing South Africa. Literally no one from South African cricket fraternity is talking about it but you guys are just roye jaa rahe ho.

For your happiness, bhai paisa diya hai BCCI ne. Khareed liya hai Cup. Agli trophy thoda aur paisa daal denge. :srini

@Dhakar Pola : Bangla fans have matured a little bit but our Pak bros continue to regress :)

Umpire only used two angles. From those two angles, it was not conclusive. I was watching it live.

I am not a Pakistani, BTW.

Anyway, what's done is done. We can move on now.

There has been a conscious effort made to speed up play in cricket. Teams now only have 1 minute to start the next over. Before this rule they used to take much more time. It makes sense that the third umpires are also wasting less time.

Fans came in different shapes and colours. I urge anyone to talk to real people before getting concept of fans from social media and television. See if I based my conception of what India or Indians think about my country I would hate India. But fortunately I have had some very good Indian friends when I was doing my masters from whom my concept of India changed and their hatred for BD fans also changed through me.

Anyway I don't want to derail the thread with this topic. India will always have the stigma of "this was wrong that was wrong this way India got advantage" etc because of being ICC's cash cow. See even people say Qatar world cup was rigged for Messi. So its best to ignore these

India was one of the top teams in this tournament they deserved to win it. I had one question about the boundary rope being moved and one member here cleared my confusion

OK. Sample size is not big enough here (less than 100). I think Twitter/FB/Instagram have far more dissatisfied people.

I was simply curious why umpire didn't use a magnifying angle for such an important game.

Anyway, it's all good. Let's move on. India have won.
We should remove umpire reviews and DRS and replace it with snap polls henceforth. The decision that gets most no of online votes will be regarded as the right one.

We should remove umpire reviews and DRS and replace it with snap polls henceforth. The decision that gets most no of online votes will be regarded as the right one.

Umpires should check thoroughly during a final game. That wasn't a thorough check. That was my point.

He made his verdict with 2 angles and that too in a rush. Why was he in a hurry? Was he getting late for a BCCI paycheque?

Umpires should check thoroughly during a final game. That wasn't a thorough check. That was my point.

He made his verdict with 2 angles and that too in a rush. Why was he in a hurry? Was he getting late for a BCCI paycheque?
That is a serious allegation? Are you stating umpires are in BCCI's pockets? Are you questioning the integrity of ICC umpires?

Not sure what is the point of proving to each and everyone. They are free to beleive whatever they want. Who cares?

That is a serious allegation? Are you stating umpires are in BCCI's pockets? Are you questioning the integrity of ICC umpires?
Ignore those who are bitter. They are clutching at straws. Let us hope and pray they get peace.

Was off line a bit after our win...
But as night follows day - knew this thread would be popping up.
Fair catch - & if not - if given a six - we'd still have won...as it would have been 11 of 5 or something...
We were destined to ...
We are good Enuff to be in finals of WTC ,- twice
Good Enuff to be in finals of ODI
Good Enuff to be in the finals of the last CT
Good Enuff to be in a few semis down the years...
Good Enuff to take on any team or the current world combined XI on any pitch any conditions/ country ...
Let's s stop the habitual downing....
: one upmanship
Hold the masala salt n pepper on the whole saazish bandwagon...
Cheers 🪔🇮🇳💥🔥

Frankly this rule needs to changed. "If any of fielder feet touch the boundary then he should not touch the ball. If he did then its 4 or 6 depending upon whether ball touched the ground or not."

Frankly this rule needs to changed. "If any of fielder feet touch the boundary then he should not touch the ball. If he did then its 4 or 6 depending upon whether ball touched the ground or not."

I think that rule is fine. But the rule that needs to be changed is that the last contact with the ball should be made within the ground.

in BBL there was a catch where the fielder was juggling the ball outside the boundary but he just jumped when he touched the ball so his feet were in the air. He kept juggling till he reached inside the boundary and completed the catch. That is a out as per current rules. It should be changed that for a relay catch then fielder needs to throw the ball back in the field but also have a foot inside the ground before touching the ball. If his last touch was outside the field, then it should be 6 as soon as he touches the ball

Top view shows that there was couple of inches of gap from boudary. It's not even that close to have debate about it after you see the top view.
Top View has score graphics blocking the part... Do we get to see a video without those graphics, can you share it? That will put this thread into peace!

I believe Ajmal was robbed in 2011 semi. That was out.

India got benefited many times with these close decisions.

Bucknor was a legendary umpire despite occasional mistakes.
Yeah and I'm sure bcci also buys Misbah-ul-Haq, Younis Khan and Akmal Brothers (combo offer) to drop Sachin's catches.. Afridi was the captain so he wasn't able to take that offer..

And 2nd allegation is boundary rope being moved... It is the job of officials to restore it back... No way fielding team is responsible for this!

This one is even more of a no-issue than umpires making wrong decisions against a team! There at least you can accuse umpire being biased at a particular team... Boundary rope adjustement is purely a blunder.

Pakistanis should stop worrying so much on Indian Matches!

Check this video bro.
That's fine, but the offical top view from TV Broadcaster's camera is the best angle, but unfortunately score-mark is blocking the crucial spots! Now this will give the haters another chance to accuse that he has touched the boundary rope and that's why they have masked it through graphics!

One guy has gone into deep depression that he has to invent lies to keep his life moving lol Don't try to convince them logically. Just sympathise with them and move on. Don't even engage if you can. Just let it run its course.

An even more effective way is to :excitedtroll

Try it ...

Top View has score graphics blocking the part... Do we get to see a video without those graphics, can you share it? That will put this thread into peace!
See post 292 by @Croma

It's a clear top view.

Here ends this thread.

I don’t see how anyone can believe it was an unfair catch after seeing the video in post #292 by @Croma.

That's fine, but the offical top view from TV Broadcaster's camera is the best angle, but unfortunately score-mark is blocking the crucial spots! Now this will give the haters another chance to accuse that he has touched the boundary rope and that's why they have masked it through graphics!
One sports channel had a clear view from top. If I find then I will share, but there are many replays showing few inches of gap, it's not that close to have a debate.

Here ends this thread.

I don’t see how anyone can believe it was an unfair catch after seeing the video in post #292 by @Croma.

Dont be so sure wait ... they will find incredulous ways... afterall the dude sweep_shot is still claiming that Ajmal was robbed in the 2011 S/F when hawkeye had realized all data they had and posted a Lengthy explanation on why they stand by their technology.

Warning:

Please refrain from making personal remarks to each other.

Please take this warning seriously.

Thanks for this.
I hate to keep bringing this up as its all over now...Finished...History..

But this video is not at the correct time. I for one never saw an issue with the bit shown in this video.
It's several steps before he jumped over the boundary line. The bit where his left foot goes close to the boundary and there is movement either on the ground or the bottom of the boundary line...

As far as I can see so far no one has uploaded that video here

Keshav Maharaj, while speaking to a media outlet, replied when asked about the catch that Suryakumar Yadav took to dismiss David Miller:

"To be honest, we’re just disappointed about the loss and we were literally on a flight out of Barbados due to the weather — so we never really touched base. But that stuff, we can’t undo whatever’s transpired. We just focus on our tasks."

"Whatever decision was made or not made, it’s not going to change the outcome. It’s not good to dwell on the negatives. There’s a time to address certain moments, we will at some stage. We just have to let it sink in, and move forward."

Thanks for this.
I hate to keep bringing this up as its all over now...Finished...History..

But this video is not at the correct time. I for one never saw an issue with the bit shown in this video.
It's several steps before he jumped over the boundary line. The bit where his left foot goes close to the boundary and there is movement either on the ground or the bottom of the boundary line...

As far as I can see so far no one has uploaded that video here
See post #292.

Some grainy bits and pieces you have seen could be doctored to suit the narrative. The above video is clean and captures the best possible angle fully.

See post #292.

Some grainy bits and pieces you have seen could be doctored to suit the narrative. The above video is clean and captures the best possible angle fully.
I watched it on tv during the Sky tv coverage... definitely not some doctored YouTube vid

Here's the icc drs protocol for the tv umpire-

@sweep_shot

Your lifeline has arrived 🤣

Miller was on strike with South Africa needing 16 off the last over, bowled, by Hardik Pandya when Yadav pulled off a wonderfully judged catch inches away from the boundary rope. Hardik sent down a low wide full toss, which Miller heaved across towards long-off where Yadav was stationed.

The ball seemed destined to be flying over the ropes for six when Yadav appeared out of nowhere and plucked it out of thin air. After a juggling effort, he managed to hold on, with his feet inches away from the boundary rope as Miller departed for a 17-ball 21. Third umpire Richard Kettleborough gave it out after a quick check as India firmed their grip on the trophy.

The catch, rated as "one of the greatest" in cricket history by Ian Smith, was not without controversy, however, with some on social media suggesting Yadav’s shoe had flicked the boundary rope as he ran backwards for the catch.

A South African fan wrote: “This certainly deserved more than one look, just saying. Boundary rope looks like it clearly moves.”

It was also pointed out that the cushioning of the boundary rope had seemingly moved back before the catch.

The ICC playing conditions make clear that it is the rope, not the white line, that constitutes the boundary. However, section 19.3 states: "If a solid object used to mark the boundary is disturbed for any reason, then the boundary shall be considered to be in its original position."

The white line suggests, but does not prove, that the rope may have been moved earlier in the contest. If it was moved, then an error was made in not putting it back in position. Section 19.3.2 states: "If a solid object used to mark the boundary is disturbed for any reason, the object shall be returned to its original position as soon as is practicable; if play is taking place, this shall be as soon as the ball is dead."

A closer look at Yadav’s catch confirms that his foot was over the white line but just in front of the cushioning.

A similar incident occurred during the 2023 ODI World Cup when a displaced boundary rope during the Pakistan-Netherlands clash led to questions. In that case, the rope had been moved in an earlier fixture and not replaced, meaning that, for the game in question, the boundary position was correctly taken as the position of the rope, rather than the white line.

‘See cheating acts done by Aussies’: Sunil Gavaskar savages Australian paper for questioning Suryakumar Yadav's catch​

Suryakumar Yadav snatched the T20 World Cup from South Africa's jaw with a sensational catch to dismiss David Miller in the final over. The star batter had a poor outing with the bat, but he made sure to play a massive role in India's T20 World Cup triumph. With 16 runs required off the final over, Hardik Pandya bowled a low-full toss on the first ball, and Miller launched it over long-off in an attempt to hit a maximum, but he gound Surya near the rope. He displayed great presence of mind while holding on to the catch. He juggled the ball up and went over the ropes before holding on to it with his feet millimetres away from the boundary cushion. A couple of videos went viral on social media highlighting how the cushion of the boundary rope was apparently pushed back.

Meanwhile, several new videos of SKY's catch surfaced on social media, which clearly indicated that the Indian fielder hadn't made any contact with the boundary rope and had grabbed a clean catch.

Batting great Sunil Gavaskar has now come in support of Suryakumar and bashed the Australian paper, which questioned the authenticity of the brilliant catch.

"There was also a question raised in an Australian paper about the fairness of the catch that Suryakumar Yadav took to dismiss David Miller in the final. All the replays were quite clear that SKY had done a marvellous balancing act as he took the catch and flicked the ball up in the air before he crossed the boundary rope and then jumped in the air and caught the ball within the boundary to complete a fabulous catch," Gavaskar wrote in his column for Sportstar.

Gavaskar didn't hold back and asked the writer of the article to watch the videos of the 'most blatant cheating acts' done by the Aussies in the past.

"Nobody questioned the catch, but the writer of the article did. He may be interested to see the video floating around of the 10 most blatant cheating acts done by the Aussies before trying to point a finger at SKY. Pot calling the kettle black indeed," he added.

@sweep_shot

Your lifeline has arrived 🤣

Miller was on strike with South Africa needing 16 off the last over, bowled, by Hardik Pandya when Yadav pulled off a wonderfully judged catch inches away from the boundary rope. Hardik sent down a low wide full toss, which Miller heaved across towards long-off where Yadav was stationed.

The ball seemed destined to be flying over the ropes for six when Yadav appeared out of nowhere and plucked it out of thin air. After a juggling effort, he managed to hold on, with his feet inches away from the boundary rope as Miller departed for a 17-ball 21. Third umpire Richard Kettleborough gave it out after a quick check as India firmed their grip on the trophy.

The catch, rated as "one of the greatest" in cricket history by Ian Smith, was not without controversy, however, with some on social media suggesting Yadav’s shoe had flicked the boundary rope as he ran backwards for the catch.

A South African fan wrote: “This certainly deserved more than one look, just saying. Boundary rope looks like it clearly moves.”

It was also pointed out that the cushioning of the boundary rope had seemingly moved back before the catch.

The ICC playing conditions make clear that it is the rope, not the white line, that constitutes the boundary. However, section 19.3 states: "If a solid object used to mark the boundary is disturbed for any reason, then the boundary shall be considered to be in its original position."

The white line suggests, but does not prove, that the rope may have been moved earlier in the contest. If it was moved, then an error was made in not putting it back in position. Section 19.3.2 states: "If a solid object used to mark the boundary is disturbed for any reason, the object shall be returned to its original position as soon as is practicable; if play is taking place, this shall be as soon as the ball is dead."

A closer look at Yadav’s catch confirms that his foot was over the white line but just in front of the cushioning.

A similar incident occurred during the 2023 ODI World Cup when a displaced boundary rope during the Pakistan-Netherlands clash led to questions. In that case, the rope had been moved in an earlier fixture and not replaced, meaning that, for the game in question, the boundary position was correctly taken as the position of the rope, rather than the white line.

If it is true that boundary cushion has been moved and it wasn't placed back to it original position, very shameful. This is why I propose removing boundary cushion and just have white markers.

If it is true that boundary cushion has been moved and it wasn't placed back to it original position, very shameful. This is why I propose removing boundary cushion and just have white markers.
Apparently it happened in the initial overs of the match when Kohli was batting. South African fielder didn't rectify the cushion properly, after a dive.

Apparently it happened in the initial overs of the match when Kohli was batting. South African fielder didn't rectify the cushion properly, after a dive.

I see. I am not blaming the Indian fielders. I am just saying there is no need for cushion because it can move and make the boundary line confusing. Better to go back to rope or just use white marker.

Back