[PICTURES & VIDEOS] Lahore Qalandars' Syed Faridoun, left-arm wrist spinner, joins Melbourne Stars

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
[PICTURES & VIDEOS] Lahore Qalandars' Syed Faridoun, left-arm wrist spinner, joins Melbourne Stars

Lahore Qalandars High-Performance Center is pleased to announce that they have unleashed Syed Faridoun, an emerging left-arm wrist spinner to play Big Bash League in Australia. He will be the third product of Qalandars’ player development program to have been signed by Melbourne Stars as Haris Rauf and Dilbar Hussein had one stint each.

19-year-old, Faridoun hailed from Lahore is presently in Australia and set to make his debut in competitive T20 cricket for the first time in his minor career so far. He until now had played in the under16 and under19 circuits in the age group at the city level. He was part of the bench in the second leg of the PSL 5 in Karachi and later part of the PSL 6 as a part of his development with the elite crickets in the team.

He was originally selected through a virtual scouting program last year at a time when the government had imposed a lockdown during the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic. During the first covid-19 wave, Lahore Qalandars couldn’t able to launch nationwide hunting as a part of their annual player development program and asked the kids to record their talent and send in the videos.

Sameen Rana (COO Lahore Qalandars): “Left-arm wrist spinners are rare and it is arguably the toughest skill in cricket. He was raw but at least he was bowling and ambitious about the skill and it wasn’t a really tough choice. We had identified his talent in a video and invested in his development and got him ready for the big stage. We are always open to all the young boys out there who are talented, ambitious and have a prospect to serve the country.

“We have done our part and now it’s up to Faridoun to showcase his talent. I am excited about his prospect of playing in Australia and in our relationship with Stars we can give them another player. I‘d like to thank Nicholas Cummins (CEO Cricket Victoria) for his support and trusting our development program process and in selecting the players. I wish both Faridoun and Stars a very best of luck ahead of the news season.”

Nicholas Cummins (Cricket Victoria): “We are delighted to continue our relationship with the Qalandars with Syed joining for BBL11. He has already impressed in his two practice matches against Melbourne Renegades and we hope he follows in the footsteps of Haris Rauf and Dilbar Hussein in coming another success story,”

Syed Faridoun: “I am seriously happy about this opportunity and this was something I didn’t even dream of. This is a massive elevation in my career and I am very thankful to Lahore Qalandars for playing a big part in my development and making me able enough to compete at this level. I have worked hard at the High-Performance center with Aqib Javed and it's time to show my skills to the world. I am looking forward to further extending my skills by paying some of the finest cricketers in Australia and contributing to the success of Stars.”

ae79b210-6b8c-450a-83d8-866065f5d404.jpg

Last edited:
Unknown quantity - MS taking a risk but I guess he comes well recommended.

What's with Melbourne Stars signing these Qalandars development players?

They are getting too carried / expecting too much I think

Really nice that Qalandars have this relationship with Melbourne Stars. Playing in the BBL is something any young Pakistani player would love to do. We saw how much it helped Haris.

Would like to see what this kid is all about. Hopefully he will get a chance in BBL and PSL. Any left arm legspinner makes you stand-up and take notice. Whether he is actually any good, only time will tell.

What's with Melbourne Stars signing these Qalandars development players?

They are getting too carried / expecting too much I think

There must be a development programme agreement somewhere, take the player give them the experience, and who knows if they impress enough people like rauf and dilbar before they may get a game or 2

A great opportunity for the youngster to get some exposure and gain experience.
Credit must be given to LQ's management and development program, other franchises should also follow the same model.

Good work by Qalandars.

Good initiative and a money-spinner for them also.

Aaqib Javed speaking about Faridoun

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/4vtyn9" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Aaqib Javed speaking about Faridoun

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/4vtyn9" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

So Aqib Javed is known for changing actions unnecessarily but here he has totally changed the bowling style and type entirely? What’s even going on?

And he selected him in talent hunt and then decided he’s not quality so asked him to try other bowling types? There’s so much inconsistencies here

Whats with Big Bash and selecting unknown players?

They picked Qais Ahmad, Zahir Khan, Harris Rauf, Sandeep Lamichane, Dilbar Hussain and now this kid.

Harris Rauf could had been a fluke, but if this kid also turns out to be a success, than it will be a big slap on the face of PCB that their talent hunts have never produce such players and a franchise was able to unearth 2 raw players that were capable of domestic cricket and international cricket.

I am seriously interested to see how far this kid will go. Aqib Javed is the biggest joke of a coach in the cricket circle and has made lahore qalanders a big joke but lets see.

A tall left arm leggie.. rare breed , hopefully he keeps developing & then who knows..I have my reservations about Aqib but there’s no doubting LQ’s contributions In unearthing these guys & then this connection with MS is just brilliant in terms of young Pakistani guys with hardly any professional cricket behind them getting to play in the BBL , what a script this could turn out to be if he does will over in Australia & makes it back with the national side for the WC hmm wishful thinking lol

One good thing about this kid is, his being educated and he should be able to communicate well with players and coaches in Australia. Looks like a confident young man , has good action and athletics physique . Longer version is the best format to learn for a wrist spinner and hopefully he will get selected in 2nd eleven , if not first eleven of some domestic team to iron out his skill.

Aaqib Javed reveals what Rashid Khan said about Syed Faridoun's future

Aaqib, while speaking in a video released by Qalandars on social platforms, said that he was amazed by Rashid's remarks on a young left-arm wrist spinnerDirector Cricket Operations and head coach of Lahore Qalandars Aaqib Javed has revealed what Afghanistan's Rashid Khan said about Syed Faridoun, a new emerging star of Lahore Qalandars High-Performance Center.

Faridoun, 19, is the third product of Qalandars’ player development program, who will represent Melbourne Stars in the Big Bash League (BBL) after Haris Rauf and Dilbar Hussain.

Aaqib, while speaking in a video released by Qalandars on social platforms, said that he was amazed by Rashid's remarks on a young left-arm wrist spinner.

"During the second phase of PSL 2021, Rashid Khan surprised me by saying that 'Aaqib Bhai mark my words, this boy will be the number one bowler for Pakistan in three years time' which was very shocking for me as well. Today in a year and a half journey, he has reached Melbourne Stars," said Aaqib Javed.

Meanwhile, Faridoun also recalled his memories with Rashid during Pakistan Super League (PSL) season six in Karachi and Abu Dhabi.

"I met Rashid Khan there for the first time which was very useful. I along with other leg spinners like Maaz Khan learnt a lot from him by asking a lot of questions regarding bowling and he was very responsive and kind to answer those questions," said Faridoun.

It must be noted that Faridoun is presently in Australia and set to make his debut in competitive T20 cricket for the first time in his minor career so far. He has been part of Lahore's Under-19 team and was also part of the Central Punjab Under-19.

He was originally selected through a virtual scouting program last year at a time when the government had imposed a lockdown during the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic.

During the first covid-19 wave, Lahore Qalandars couldn’t able to launch nationwide hunting as a part of their annual player development program and asked the kids to record their talent and send in the videos.

Via : https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/n...-rashid-khan-said-about-syed-faridouns-future

Question of the day. Can he bat? Will find it easier to find a spot if he was a good number 8.

Stars coach David Hussey wants leg-spinners Adam Zampa, Qais Ahmed (Afghanistan) and Syed Faridoun (Pakistan) to bowl together because Aussie batters struggle against spin.

“(Faridoun) actually bowled left-arm off-spin 18 months ago and then Pakistan Cricket Board basically said, ‘No, you don’t spin the ball enough, try leg-spin’,” Hussey said.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/d70516748acbdf6727f9b608938e26e7

Making his debut at the moment for MBS

Receiving his debut cap

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 100.000%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/08pol4" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Bowling gun barrel straight, and the length is too short. Very raw and it's a bit bizarre why the Melbourne Stars have shown so much faith.

Bit of a pasting in his first match, but his team-mates have also been smashed around

4-37-0

Bit of a pasting in his first match, but his team-mates have also been smashed around

4-37-0

peculiar action?

6fb5396b-9b21-4344-8b8b-41f18a99b3e3.jpg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here's something different! <br><br>Pakistani Syed Faridoun comes on to bowl, with a very unique action <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BBL11?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#BBL11</a> <a href="https://t.co/SRwPLhPXs6">pic.twitter.com/SRwPLhPXs6</a></p>— KFC Big Bash League (@BBL) <a href="https://twitter.com/BBL/status/1467417141209042944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 5, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Will get better with more exposure, I don’t think Pakistan has many left arm chinaman options

Will get better with more exposure, I don’t think Pakistan has many left arm chinaman options

Needs to work very hard. There is a very good reason why left arm chinamen are very rare in the history of the game. It is almost an impossible art to succeed with.

Needs to work very hard. There is a very good reason why left arm chinamen are very rare in the history of the game. It is almost an impossible art to succeed with.

I have tried to explain this when we discussed Faisal Akram but most posters have little or no understanding of the issues faced by Chinaman bowlers. From the little I have seen of him and his release, he will find it incredibly difficult to spin the ball into right handed batsman

I have tried to explain this when we discussed Faisal Akram but most posters have little or no understanding of the issues faced by Chinaman bowlers. From the little I have seen of him and his release, he will find it incredibly difficult to spin the ball into right handed batsman
I agree. I am also concerned at the point of stress his bowling action is putting on his body.

Will be an amazing story if he is successful.

Reminds me a bit of the former South African spinner Paul Adams.

I agree. I am also concerned at the point of stress his bowling action is putting on his body.

Will be an amazing story if he is successful.

I hope I am wrong as it makes a great story and a young man gets to earn a living but it doesn't look great over the medium term.

Reminds me a bit of the former South African spinner Paul Adams.

The problem is that he can only spin the ball one way and that isn't a great recipe for a leg spinner unless you are freakishly good at spinning it one way.

Anyone wants to explain the history behind the term "Chinaman"? I remember the term from the Brian Lara 99 game, and know what it has been there for a long time, but never really looked up the reason.

Also a bit surprised that it's still used today in the woke culture of 2021 :)

Anyone wants to explain the history behind the term "Chinaman"? I remember the term from the Brian Lara 99 game, and know what it has been there for a long time, but never really looked up the reason.

Also a bit surprised that it's still used today in the woke culture of 2021 :)

The first bowler who successfully bowled this style was of Chinese origin

had the best figures of all the bowlers last game.

4 over 2 wickets 17 runs, 3 rpo

where as Zampa went for 10 rpo

Just one game for him so far - seems MLS not impressed by his first performance.

Back