[PICTURES/VIDEOS] West Indies tour of Australia (2024)

Smith is the key here. Can he do it? Shamar has activated beast mode here though.

Gee Whiz Shamar...u champ!...i remember once Neil Wagnor of NZ bowled with a broken toe or somethig and won the game for NZ....ths will be xciting!!!

25 runs needed for aus and 1 wicket needed for windies. this is a blockbuster of a test

What a short ball by Shamar. Just evaded wide slip.

I know Windies want to win but stop bowling this injured kid and finish his career

200 K watching on Hotstar in India. Unbelievable numbers when this series was having only about 12 K on average earlier.

What a fabulous match it was. Windies have done it. Shamar has been fantastic. Winning the match by 8 runs and saved his team from a whitewash. Superb

1706426830878.png

What a beautiful interview by Shamar. Nicest guy off the pitch, monster on the pitch.

My favourite young cricketer as of today. Look at the emotion and passion .

These guys play hardly any FC cricket. The cricket they do play is generally low quality. Amazing achievement.

One of the most beautiful wins in test cricket history. One of those wins which would been enjoyed by the vast majority of cricket world.

One of the biggest upset in longtime, but that is why test cricket is always best format still.

👀

I think with this new lad, the Windies are gong to break many hearts!

This Test win doesn't mean much for the format especially in the Caribbean.

But their white ball revival is legit. !

They are targeting World Cup 2027 and with the likes of Shamar , Alzarri and Shai Hope etc, they will be a threat in South Africa. Make no mistake about it.

Darren Sammy and Miles Basscombe mean business

Shamar Joseph was bowling upto 150 kph and got 7 wickets in one day with a broken toe. Has to be one of the best bowling performances in Australia in recent times.

Luck for Australia finally ran out, they have looked very vulnerable ever since the WTC final

A star is born, take a bow Shamar Joseph!!! Congrats to the West Indies.

Hope Shamar won't be lost playing for some Cobra or Dragons over international cricket.

I can understand the need to bowl him today but he needs to be managed well.

Definitely in the red zone after today's effort.

No bowling for more than a week I guess.

I can understand the need to bowl him today but he needs to be managed well.

Definitely in the red zone after today's effort.

No bowling for more than a week I guess.
He deserves a good rest and proper recovery for rest of the tour

Steve Smith unbeaten on 91no as Shamar Joseph shook off what had been feared to be a broken toe, taking 7-68 to bowl visitors to eight-run win

Young quick Shamar Joseph has inspired West Indies to one of Test cricket's most remarkable upset victories, taking 7-68 to rout world champions Australia for 207 at their Gabba fortress and square the ledger in the battle for the Frank Worrell Trophy.

Without a win in Australia since 1997, West Indies overcame all the odds to surge to a stunning eight-run win in Brisbane midway through day four of this pink-ball Test.

And Joseph, who began the day off the field after sustaining a nasty blow to his right big toe from Mitchell Starc on Saturday night, was the architect of the chaos, his scintillating spell almost single-handedly levelling the series at one-all and offering an unlikely beacon of hope for the future of the five-day game in the Caribbean.

Only new opener Steve Smith seemed immune to the powers of the Guyanese paceman, the 34-year-old scoring 91 not out to defy the critics and become the first Australian to carry his bat since David Warner (who also happened to do it in his fourth innings as an opener, in a loss to New Zealand back in 2011).

Australia missing David Warner big time. His quick impactful starts and knocks were under rated

Shamar Joseph | Player of the Match and the Series: It is amazing for me, I want to give a shout out to my teammates and the management. I wanted to do it for my country and my team, thanks for the crowd for their support. (On the doctor) He called me this morning, I was in my bed. I said him I am not well, I am in a lot of pain and he told me to come to the ground and he believed I could do it. I did really well for my team. It was all about getting close, it is all about support. It was tears of joy that I won it for my team, those were tears of joy and happiness. It was all about believing, made a lot of sacrifice to get here. I just stick to my basics and take advice from the seniors.

Keep Shamar away from these BS leagues. The board and local Guyana government have got a find a way to compensate him and keep him wrapped in cotton wool.

As I said before the Windies have a good core group of fast bowlers now in both Joseph’s and Seales.

Incredibly brave effort by Shamar. Anyone who has ever broke a big toe knows the thought of bowling top speed on it... i can't fathom it, very brave.

WI arrived with two high speed bowlers. One tall, one short. Big hearted. And they got the job done.

Well played, well deserved. Bowlers maintained good pace and good discipline- not easy on a hard tour. batters just scraped enough runs to make them competitive.

We see an example of pink ball strategy making the Test interesting tactically- that declaration by Pat!

OH MY GOD

Just seen the score ! Congratulations West Indies.

Keep Shamar away from these BS leagues. The board and local Guyana government have got a find a way to compensate him and keep him wrapped in cotton wool.

As I said before the Windies have a good core group of fast bowlers now in both Joseph’s and Seales.

They don't have the money for that man. And he's just guaranteed a BBL contract next season too. If I were him I'd be taking those cheques, he's 24 and will likely never come close to these earning capabilties again.

Congrats to the windies for winning a test match in Australia and that too at the gabba. Incredible achievement and shamar joesph is a star in the making.
Winning in Australia is still a dream for some 😅

They don't have the money for that man. And he's just guaranteed a BBL contract next season too. If I were him I'd be taking those cheques, he's 24 and will likely never come close to these earning capabilties again.
It’s a shame. He’ll be owned by an IPL corporation, never play a test match again, and run into the ground by playing in every one of their leagues. I wouldn’t blame him whatsoever for signing that deal, especially coming from a humble background.

The ICC has to look into fixing this. Perhaps creating a special fund for poorer boards like the WI, Zim etc?

It’s a shame. He’ll be owned by an IPL corporation, never play a test match again, and run into the ground by playing in every one of their leagues. I wouldn’t blame him whatsoever for signing that deal, especially coming from a humble background.

The ICC has to look into fixing this. Perhaps creating a special fund for poorer boards like the WI, Zim etc?
They must find a way of reducing costs of staging cricket.

CWI CEO Johnny Grave said in a recent interview they pay more on flights than any other cricket nation since WI is not a unified country but a collection of distant island nations dotted around the Americas.

To put it into context - the distance between Jamaica and Guyana is about the same as London to Moscow ! Just imagine the expense of shipping TV equipment alone.

What also doesn't come cheap is accomodation for players and officials in an international tourist hub. This would be tolerable with a high value broadcast deal to offset these costs, but the small Caribbean media market cannot stump up the rights fees other countries can.

ICC should make visiting boards pay a contribution of the host's costs (and in return receive a touring fee). The current system of host nations receiving all of the income from home series only makes sense if the costs of staging bilateral cricket were equal across the board !

AaBmoaq.jpeg

What a win for the windies
Hope to see much more quality from shamar and hope he doesn't get sucked in too much by league cricket

With this win, Windies have now become #7 in ICC ranking (Sri Lanka slipped to 8th position).

Windies are now only 8 points behind Pakistan.

Some good news for all of us...

From an interview and article after the Test

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...ricket-despite-t20-money-20240128-p5f0my.html

“I’m not afraid to say this,” Joseph said. “There will be times when T20 cricket might come around. Test cricket will be there. And I will say this live. I will always be available to play for the West Indies, no matter how much money it takes or come towards me. So I will always be here to play Test cricket.”

Some good news for all of us...

From an interview and article after the Test

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...ricket-despite-t20-money-20240128-p5f0my.html

“I’m not afraid to say this,” Joseph said. “There will be times when T20 cricket might come around. Test cricket will be there. And I will say this live. I will always be available to play for the West Indies, no matter how much money it takes or come towards me. So I will always be here to play Test cricket.”
The hero cricket needs.

More new players will realize the soul sucking cesspool the IPL is, a lot of money, but you will be forgotten as nothing more than a Mickey Mouse league mercenary.

Good on him.

The hero cricket needs.

More new players will realize the soul sucking cesspool the IPL is, a lot of money, but you will be forgotten as nothing more than a Mickey Mouse league mercenary.

Good on him.

IPL and all other T20 leagues are absolute junk. It is like French fries.

Test and ODI are the only classy cricket. Last few days have proven this yet again.

I am very glad Windies won the game.

The hero cricket needs.

Good on him.
He already played for Dubai Capitals that team owned by delhi capitals owners

This win bought me so much joy, I don’t support the WI’s like my father did for obvious reasons, but I share the same passion for their success. Australia simply got calypso’d! beautiful exhibition of express fast bowling

The hero cricket needs.

Good on him.
The best players will continue to play in the IPL because it's simply the biggest league with the most money and the best players and coaches. Everyone wants to be a part of it.

But you may see top players skip the psl, because non IPL leagues have 0 value.

The IPL is still a tamasha league but will always be huge and have the most prestige (relatively)

Back