[PICTURES/VIDEOS] West Indies tour of Australia (2024)

Numerous runs are scored, leading to a victory for the Australian team.

dBVVKks.jpg

Numerous runs are scored, leading to a victory for the Australian team.

dBVVKks.jpg

The West Indies were set a 214-run target for victory and got off to a flyer before losing multiple wickets to sit at 6-151 after 16 overs.

Openers Brandon King (53) and Johnson Charles (42) belted the Australians around Bellerive Oval, with one Glenn Maxwell over conceding 17 runs.

But since no batsmen has managed to score more than 20 runs, with seamer Sean Abbott taking four catches in the deep.

Earlier, Australian openers David Warner and Josh Inglis got things off to a red hot start in Hobart on Friday evening, cracking a 93-run partnership.

The duo, who have never opened together in T20Is before, blasted 77 runs during the Powerplay in a blistering assault, with Warner bringing up his fifty in just 22 deliveries.

Windies all-rounder Jason Holder snared the first breakthrough in the eighth over, with Inglis slapping a slower ball directly towards mid-off for 39 (25).

Australian captain Mitchell Marsh pumped a six over deep square before falling victim to quick Alzarri Joseph, caught behind for 16. Warner departed later in the same over, gloving a short ball through to wicketkeeper Nicholas Pooran for 70.

Marcus Stoinis clobbered a six out of the ground but was dismissed the very next delivery, holing out towards long-on for 9. Glenn Maxwell didn’t last much longer, miscuing a slog against seamer Romario Shepherd towards deep mid-wicket for 10.

David (37 not out from 17 balls), and wicketkeeper Matthew Wade (21 from 14 balls) steered the Australians towards 7-213 from their 20 overs.

Earlier, West Indies captain Rovman Powell won the toss and decided to have a bowl, while David Warner revealed he would have made the same call.

The Australians have not lost a men’s T20I against the West Indies at home since 2013.

Fox Cricket

West Indies Captain Rovman Powell said after the post-match ceremony:

"We struggled to form partnerships in the middle overs. The majority of our power batters didn't get going, but it was a good game of cricket. We just have to back ourselves a little bit more. Every time we raised the bat tonight, we found the fielder. On another day, those could have found the gap and gone for four. I think the guys did well, but it just slipped a little bit in the middle overs. When you have set batters on a good wicket, it is difficult to bowl back-to-back overs. I wanted to come back for a second over, but we got a wicket, so I brought on a strike bowler. It's a little bit too cold here for us, but having said that, it feels really good, and the crowd was really good. It's a good atmosphere to play good cricket."

Australia vs West Indies, 2nd T20I:

West Indies have won the toss and have opted to field

Teams:

West Indies
(Playing XI): Brandon King, Johnson Charles, Nicholas Pooran(w), Shai Hope, Rovman Powell(c), Sherfane Rutherford, Andre Russell, Jason Holder, Romario Shepherd, Akeal Hosein, Alzarri Joseph

Australia (Playing XI): David Warner, Josh Inglis, Mitchell Marsh(c), Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Tim David, Matthew Wade(w), Adam Zampa, Spencer Johnson, Jason Behrendorff, Josh Hazlewood

Want to learn how to turn 50s into 100s, earn it from the very best, MAXWELL. What a fabulous display of batting from him in the 2nd T20. Hundred of just 50 balls.

Australia has set a huge target of 242 for the West Indies to chase down.

Glenn Maxwell with an incredible 120 not out. 5th one for him in T20Is, what a superb inning it was from him.

Almost 450 runs scored, late drama as the Aussies miss a wicket for not appealing... what a game it is was.

mp2KMNM.jpg

Maxi blasts absurd hundred, Aussies clinch Windies T20 series despite wild ‘didn’t appeal’ call

Australian dynamo Glenn Maxwell went on a rampage at Adelaide Oval on Sunday evening, smacking a hundred in the second T20I against the West Indies.

The Victorian slapped an unbeaten 120 (55), which included 12 boundaries and eight sixes, as the hosts posted a massive team total of 4-241 in the South Australian capital. It was Australia’s highest T20I score on home soil and fourth-highest overall.

In response, the West Indies batted bravely but never really looked like catching the Aussie total, eventually reaching 9-207.

The Aussies were in the bizarre situation of failing to appeal a run out for the final wicket of the match, and thus not being given the dismissal.

Maxwell became just the second cricketer to score five centuries in men’s T20I, alongside Indian superstar Rohit Sharma.

“It was good fun, that’s for sure, I just gave myself a chance,” Maxwell told Fox Cricket.

“It’s a really nice wicket, as we’ve seen during the Big Bash, and it was nice to cash in and spend some time out there.

“I was trying to give myself the best chance to use my hands to guide it through a gap or over the infield and that really seemed to work for me.

“I’ve had a few cursed Adelaide trips … so it’s nice to make this a positive one.”

Maxwell made headlines for all the wrong reasons during his last visit to Adelaide after a night of drinking ended with him being taken to hospital in an ambulance.

But the powerful right-hander, who made 10 in the series opener, bounced back into form with a jaw-dropping display.

Australian opener Josh Inglis fell early after the West Indies chose to bowl first, departing in the second over for 4. The West Australian attempted a pull shot against all-rounder Jason Holder, spooning the ball towards Johnson Charles at deep square leg.

Captain Mitchell Marsh clobbered a quick 29 before miscuing a wild slog against West Indies paceman Alzarri Joseph towards mid-on, where Holder held onto a high catch. Veteran opener David Warner joined him in the sheds shortly after, deceived by a slower ball from Romario Shepherd and chipping the Kookaburra towards mid-off for 22.

The Big Show walked to the middle and immediately started blasting sixes, one of which landed in the venue’s second tier. A security guard, believing she didn’t have the arm to throw it back onto the field, briefly disappeared with the ball before walking near the boundary rope to return the Kookaburra,

“I don’t think she’s given the ball back,” former Australian cricketer Michael Hussey said.

Fox Cricket commentator Mark Howard responded: “As my kids would say, caught in 4K though. Can’t get away with it.

“She might not think she’s got the arm to get it over all the people in front of her in the deck below. She might land it on someone’s head!”

Maxwell continued on his rampage, nailing reverse sweeps and paddles while racing towards a half-century in just 25 deliveries. The 35-year-old and fellow all-rounder Marcus Stoinis combined for an 82-run partnership for the fourth wicket before the West Australian was caught at deep mid-wicket for 16.

In the penultimate over of Australia’s innings, Maxwell reached triple figures with a slice through the covers, passing the milestone in 50 deliveries. He combined with Tim David for an unbeaten 95-run partnership at the death, helping set the West Indies an unlikely target of 242 for victory.

David finished unbeaten on 31 (14), while Holder was the pick of the bowlers with figures of 2-42.

Earlier, West Indies captain Rovman Powell won the toss and elected to bowl first in the South Australian capital. Spencer Johnson was added to the starting XI, with the left-armed quick set to play his first international match on home soil.

Johnson created a breakthrough with his third delivery of the match, with Nicholas Pooran awkwardly fending the ball towards substitute fielder Aaron Hardie at mid-wicket for 18. In his following over, Sherfane Rutherford feathered a catch through to wicketkeeer Matthew Wade for a duck.

Stoinis then removed Shai Hope and opener Johnson Charles in the same over, with the West Indies’ chances of chasing the target all but over.

The right-armer returned after the drinks break to snag his third wicket, with superstar all-rounder Andre Russell toeing a pull shot towards deep mid-wicket.

Fox Cricket

Two South Australians, who have each played two ODIs, are in line to make their international T20 debuts

Perth patrons could be in line to see the Jake Fraser-McGurk show after the batting sensation was added to Australia's T20I squad for the final match of their Dettol series against West Indies

The 21-year-old has been added to the squad alongside South Australian teammate Wes Agar with star paceman Josh Hazlewood returning home to Sydney to prepare for the upcoming tour of New Zealand.

Australia are chasing their second series sweep over the Windies in a week after Fraser-McGurk blasted an incredible 18-ball 41 in Canberra last Tuesday to help the host to a 3-0 win in the preceding ODI series.

His addition to the T20 sets up the exciting prospect of Fraser-McGurk and superstar Glenn Maxwell playing alongside each other after the latter smashed a record fifth T20 international century to help Australia head to Perth with an unassailable 2-0 in the three-match series.

“Although we’ve won the series, we want to win 3-0. That represents an exciting opportunity for us,” captain Mitch Marsh said after arriving in Perth on Monday.

Like Fraser-McGurk, Agar has also played two one-day internationals for Australia, both against the West Indies in his debut tour of the Caribbean in 2021.

The 27-year-old right-armer was the Adelaide Strikers' leading wicket-taker in KFC BBL|12 with 18, but only managed four games in BBL|13 (for two wickets at 67.50 and an economy of 10.38) as the club went all in on leg-spinners Cameron Boyce and Lloyd Pope.

Fraser-McGurk on the other hand enjoyed a career-best Big Bash summer.

He led the Melbourne Renegades' run scoring with 257 striking at 158.64, earning selection in the Team of the Tournament, with only Matt Short (25) and Josh Brown (23) hitting more sixes for the season than Fraser-McGurk's 18.

The young right-hander then went straight from his breakthrough BBL campaign into a maiden overseas T20 gig, upstaging Australian veteran David Warner after signing as a replacement player for his Dubai Capitals in the UAE's ILT20 tournament.

There he smashed a 21-ball half-century on debut, which he followed a score of 41, finishing a whirlwind three-game stint with 109 runs striking at 213.72 before heading back home to make his international debut as part of Australia's ODI squad.

Should he make his T20 international debut tomorrow night, Fraser-McGurk will have ticked off two of the three formats in a little over a week.

"I said to (South Australia coach) Jason Gillespie: 'I want to be a three-format player for Australia later in my career', that's my goal, I'm working towards that," the ex-Victorian batter told cricket.com.au after spearheading Australia's shortest 50-over chase of 41 balls in last Tuesday's third ODI in Canberra.

"That's the reason why I moved to South Australia … I wanted to get a fresh start.

"I didn't expect it to happen this quick, but 12 months is a long time in cricket and to be rewarded with some selection, it's really pleasing to me and my family."

Gillespie and Ricky Ponting are among the revered figures in Australia cricket who believe it won't be long before he debuts in the longer-format either.

"When you've got that sort of talent you need to be exposed to cricket at the highest level to work it out and I think Jake can do that yet," Ponting said last week after being appointed the Washington Freedom head coach.

"The natural talent that he's got reminds me a bit of David Warner's introduction into Australian cricket.

"I'm definitely backing (him) one day to play Test cricket."

Teams:

West Indies (Playing XI): Kyle Mayers, Johnson Charles, Nicholas Pooran(w), Roston Chase, Rovman Powell(c), Sherfane Rutherford, Andre Russell, Jason Holder, Romario Shepherd, Akeal Hosein, Alzarri Joseph

Australia (Playing XI): David Warner, Josh Inglis, Mitchell Marsh(c), Glenn Maxwell, Aaron Hardie, Tim David, Matthew Wade(w), Adam Zampa, Xavier Bartlett, Spencer Johnson, Jason Behrendorff

West Indies have won the toss and have opted to bat

Sherfane Rutherford and Andre Russell's fifties led West Indies to an excellent score of 220/6 against Australia in the 3rd T20I of the series.

Can they defend it as well, that is the bigger question here.

WI won by 37 runs in the third T20I against Australia. But still Australia emerged as the Victor in the series by a margin of 2-1.
=======
Australia vs West Indies Highlights, 3rd T20I: Andre Russell, Sherfane Rutherford Shine As West Indies Earn Consolation Win vs Australia

Powerful knocks by Andre Russell and Sherfane Rutherford propelled West Indies to 220/6 in 20 overs against Australia in the third T20I.

AUS vs WI 3rd T20I, Highlights: Andre Russell and Sherfane Rutherford starred with the bat as West Indies pumped Australia by 37 runs in the third and final T20I at the Optus Stadium in Perth. Russell's 29-ball 71 and Rutherford's 40-ball 67 propelled West Indies to 220/6 in 20 overs. In reply, David Warner led the charge with 81 off just 49 balls while Tim David hit an unbeaten 41 off 19 balls to take Australia closer to the target. In the end, West Indies held on for a consolation win as Australia claimed the series 2-1.

Source: NDTV

Decent consolation win for WI.

Both teams have immense powerhitting reserves which PAK sorely lack. We'd have huffed and puffed to 160 on that Perth track.

I would say that it was a good tour for the windies overall. Drawn a test series earlier and now a t20 win.

Back