Players who are better than their stats suggest

Unbiased-Fan

Local Club Star
Runs
Many players have mediocre or not so great stats, but that doesn't indicate their promising talent, true potential and impact.

One such player that comes to mind is legendary Srilankan batsman Aravinda de Silva.
Despite averaging only 41 and 34 in tests and ODIs respectively, he is considered by many as the best ever produced by the island nation even ahead of Sangakkara and Mahela.

Sanath Jayasuriya averaged only 32 in ODIs but no one can deny his place among the ATGs of the game.

Matt Henry despite much improvement in tests, still averaging over 31.

WG Grace is considered as the pioneer of the game despite having mediocre stats.

Zaheer Khan is certified Indian great, despite average well over 30 in tests. Same goes with Ishant Sharma.

Please contribute if you know such players.

Mohammad Amir's Test and ODI bowling record is good. But he has been a much better bowler than those stats. Often he is chipped in for Pakistan in crucial situation to won big games. There also has been a number of patches where he was just unlucky to get wickets and other times where he kept pressure from one end.

Shane Warne despite having inferior stats to Muralitharan, often considered as the greatest ever spinner.

Shaheen has better number than Siraj, but is he really impactful as Siraj in tests

Shahid Afridi.

Muhammad Ashraful.

Umar Akmal.

Bhuvi Kumar.
Ashraful has 3-4 ATG ODI innings considering the context of when they were played and the state of Bangladesh cricket

@Major gets triggered when I say his hundred at Cardiff 2005 v Australia was one of the best ODI hundreds I have witnessed. Maybe he is hurt because Misbah never scored one.

Rahim is another underrated test batsman. He's definitely better than 35 average

Ashraful has 3-4 ATG ODI innings considering the context of when they were played and the state of Bangladesh cricket

@Major gets triggered when I say his hundred at Cardiff 2005 v Australia was one of the best ODI hundreds I have witnessed. Maybe he is hurt because Misbah never scored one.

Ashraful scored a match-winning century against Ricky Ponting's ATG Australia. He also scored a match-winning century against Graeme Smith's strong South Africa in 2007 WC.

He once scored 94 from 52 balls against England in England. He played some great knocks against big sides.

One thing I noticed about G McGrath was that against inferior batting sides he was generally quite chilled out and went about his business. This was part of his great, champion nature.

Against Ashraful that day, even McGrath was ticking by the end of the game…that was a revolutionary innings by the man!

Ashraful scored a match-winning century against Ricky Ponting's ATG Australia. He also scored a match-winning century against Graeme Smith's strong South Africa in 2007 WC.

He once scored 94 from 52 balls against England in England. He played some great knocks against big sides.

Phenomenal talent no doubt

One correction: Ashraful scored 87 against SA (not a century).

Many players have mediocre or not so great stats, but that doesn't indicate their promising talent, true potential and impact.

One such player that comes to mind is legendary Srilankan batsman Aravinda de Silva.
Despite averaging only 41 and 34 in tests and ODIs respectively, he is considered by many as the best ever produced by the island nation even ahead of Sangakkara and Mahela.

Sanath Jayasuriya averaged only 32 in ODIs but no one can deny his place among the ATGs of the game.

Matt Henry despite much improvement in tests, still averaging over 31.

WG Grace is considered as the pioneer of the game despite having mediocre stats.

Zaheer Khan is certified Indian great, despite average well over 30 in tests. Same goes with Ishant Sharma.

Please contribute if you know such players.
Yuvraj stats don't do him justice!

Inzamam Ul Haq. I feel he has under achieved with his talent. Averages less than 40 in ODIs, doesn’t have 10000 test runs despite a long 15-16 yr career which is surprising. I felt he was in the same special league as Sachin, Lara but hard to convince people with his numbers.

Inzamam Ul Haq. I feel he has under achieved with his talent. Averages less than 40 in ODIs, doesn’t have 10000 test runs despite a long 15-16 yr career which is surprising. I felt he was in the same special league as Sachin, Lara but hard to convince people with his numbers.
I mentioned elsewhere that your views are quite far off and you provide the proof immediately.

Inzimam averaged 39.5 in ODIs during an era where;

Ponting averaged 42.1
Lara averaged 40.5
Dravid averaged 39.2

If you are using an average of 40ish in that era to compare it with today’s batting inflated stats…you clearly are far far off from the realms of cricket reality.

“I find it hard to convince people that he is in the league of Sachin and Lara with those numbers”…

*Lara averaged 1 run more than Inzimam did in ODI cricket during the same era

Currently for Pakistan:

Abdullah Shafiq
Saim Ayub
Mohammad Waseem Jnr.
Mohammad Haris
Azam Khan

I mentioned elsewhere that your views are quite far off and you provide the proof immediately.

Ponting averaged 42.1
Lara averaged 40.5
Dravid averaged 39.2

If you are using an average of 40ish in that era to compare it with today’s batting inflated stats…you clearly are far far off from the realms of cricket reality.
Overall as a odi + test player.

Ponting, Dravid. Lara all have 10000+ test runs. Lara has 400 and 375 in tests. Ponting used to smash bowlers in all conditons, Dravid is rated leagues above Inzi as a test player when that shouldn’t have been the case.

Not sure what you didn’t understand. I was only complimenting Inzimam.

Overall as a odi + test player.

Ponting, Dravid. Lara all have 10000+ test runs. Lara has 400 and 375 in tests. Ponting used to smash bowlers in all conditons, Dravid is rated leagues above Inzi as a test player when that shouldn’t have been the case.

Not sure what you didn’t understand. I was only complimenting Inzimam.
No I don’t think you were complementing Inzimam when mentioning his average below 40 in ODI cricket. Be honest, when did you start watching cricket?

@Rana

Let me re-explain, I think Inzi had the talent to be spoken in the same breath as Sachin and Lara.

He doesn’t have 10000 test runs, except for 92 World Cup semis doesn’t have too many marquee knocks (maybe for Pakistanis but generally speaking).

Lara has a 400, Sachin became the first guy to breach 200 in ODIs;

From Pak even his deputy Yusuf has a record of scoring most runs in a calendar year, Saeed Anwar had the highest individual score, Younis Khan breached 10000 runs, Misbah had the fastest test 100, in that context Inzi massively underachieved as I think he is better than all those including Saeed Anwar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mentioned in another similar thread that Suresh Raina for some reason stood out to me as a very very dangerous player.

From a Pakistani perspective Saleem Malik was way better than his stats and many people mention Aqib Javed as sometimes being the bowler that broke through the tricky partnership after which Wasim and Waqar would run riot.

I mentioned in another similar thread that Suresh Raina for some reason stood out to me as a very very dangerous player.

From a Pakistani perspective Saleem Malik was way better than his stats and many people mention Aqib Javed as sometimes being the bowler that broke through the tricky partnership after which Wasim and Waqar would run riot.
I guess middle order batsmen who played for the team rather than stat pad will fill up the list.
Raina, Yuvraj fall in this category i feel, and so would be others.

Shan Masood. Looks a good player and makes starts in difficult conditions. Yet he averages less than 30 in tests.

Ponting averaged 42.1
Lara averaged 40.5
Dravid averaged 39.2

True. In the 90s averaging 40 was a dream. A good ODI average was around 31-32. Michael Bevan was the only player who averaged 50+ and that to because of his 'not outs'.

I'll add Gautam Gambhir's name to the list 👍🏻

He was averaging well over 55 at one point, 5 centuries in consecutive matches, test player of the year, number 1 test batsman for some time. Still he ended with mediocre average of 41 🤦🏻‍♀️
His ODI stats are great. 39 average, 85 strike rate, 5000+ runs.
I guess, GG is very underrated ODI batsman

I'll add Gautam Gambhir's name to the list 👍🏻

He was averaging well over 55 at one point, 5 centuries in consecutive matches, test player of the year, number 1 test batsman for some time. Still he ended with mediocre average of 41 🤦🏻‍♀️
His ODI stats are great. 39 average, 85 strike rate, 5000+ runs.
I guess, GG is very underrated ODI batsman

Gautam is not underrated. He played 2 clutch knocks in World Cup finals so every other stat looks lame in comparison. Also played a knock to save a game which gave India a rare overseas series win in Newzealand. These kind of feats overshadow everything else he did and in fact covered up for some arguments about his technical deficiencies as a pure bat as well. I think he is aptly rated.

In fact Kapi Dev is put down a lot by Indian fans too. Some of the feats he pulled off are still part of cricket folklore. Still people look at his numbers and play down what a legendary cricketer he was.

Two underrated players are KL Rahul and Matt Henry.

Both are incredible team men. They have well noted deficiencies but they are opposite of some well known big name players who insist on particular batting position or bowling role.

Henry improved his death bowling and last 4 years he was arguably the better bowler than Southee across formats yet kept riding bench without complaint. His 2019 WC performance is one of the best and it was his spell that took NZ to final.

KLR in just 75 match ODI career has played roles of opening batter, middle order batter and even keeper depending on what team mgmt asked of him and delivered in all roles to improve team balance. Even in Tests he has taken gloves for team and played gun inns in South Africa and England that led to memorable victories.

They will not be remembered as greats because of their just decent numbers but their teams will remember what such players have contributed.

Sanath Jaysuriya

This needs to be clarified for Pakistan cricket fans who found a love and passion for this sport during Covid 19.

Sanath Jaysuriya, regardless of time, era and stats eats Babar and Rizwan alive together as a white ball opener.

Stats do say that Sanath was a terrific white ball cricketer.

From March 1996 till end of 2007 World Cup

Genuine allrounder.

Shahid Afridi
His batting stats look average and his bowling stats look good when in fact he was the most intimidating cricketer ever. There were times he changed the course of a game in just a couple of deliveries. With SA in the team, Pakistan could play mind games with their opponents. He also had a massive impact on his team mates who became twice the cricketers co nd Odense just with Afridi’s mere presence because he was also one of the most zinda dil.

Monte Panesar
The man who won England a rare test series in Bharat. Controversial take but he was a bigger Turbanator than Harbhajan Singh The Bhajji.

Sachin Tendulkar
Stats suggest that he was the 2nd greatest cricketer ever and the greatest in modern era. But stats don’t tell you that he was a God.

Umar Akmal
On his given day he was a match winner and an impact player which Pakistan misses today.

1) Sanath Jaysuria

2) Adam Gilchrist

3) Hershell gibbs

I can think of more, so I'll name them later.

Javagal srinath.

Put him in any other team In that era with a competent strike bowling partner and he averages 25 instead of 29 /30 in tests.

Sadly he had venky prasad. Trundler.

Pollock always talks about him very highly. If he played alongside wasim or a donald, his figures would be close to atg level.

Gillespie is another underrated player. Yes having mcg next to you helps but there were times when mcg dint do much damage. Infact it was Gillespie that set the tone and broke key partnerships which allowed the rest of the pack to take advantage.

Simon katich is underrated as well

Mohammed shami. He averages 26 27 right now. I believe he is an even better bowler than that in tests. He should be sub 25. Hugh quality pacer.

Sanath Jaysuriya

This needs to be clarified for Pakistan cricket fans who found a love and passion for this sport during Covid 19.

Sanath Jaysuriya, regardless of time, era and stats eats Babar and Rizwan alive together as a white ball opener.
Comparing Jayasuriya with Babar / Rizwan is like comparing Romario with Richarlison. Its that ridiculous

Jayasuriya revolutionized white ball cricket

You making Ahsraful a great player only shows your level of understanding of cricket

Sir Stuart Binny, often laughed off a nepotism kid or a "parchi" player, but single handedly slaughtered BD team at their fortress Mirpur. A record that might never be broken.

And this was not some joke BD team that we are accustomed to, but one that was filled with their big guns and names from Mithun at the top to Mushfiq, Shakib, Mamudullah in the MO, Mashrafe the pinch hitter and Hossain the AR.

Criminally under rated by Indian and other fans and dreaded by BD fans.

Sir Stuart Binny, often laughed off a nepotism kid or a "parchi" player, but single handedly slaughtered BD team at their fortress Mirpur. A record that might never be broken.

And this was not some joke BD team that we are accustomed to, but one that was filled with their big guns and names from Mithun at the top to Mushfiq, Shakib, Mamudullah in the MO, Mashrafe the pinch hitter and Hossain the AR.

Criminally under rated by Indian and other fans and dreaded by BD fans.
Stuart Binny has Stuart Binny stats, the only stigma in Indian cricketing records was he had the indian record in ODI bowling.
Thank God for Shami in the world cup! 9 years of shame !! :p

@Rana

Let me re-explain, I think Inzi had the talent to be spoken in the same breath as Sachin and Lara.

He doesn’t have 10000 test runs, except for 92 World Cup semis doesn’t have too many marquee knocks (maybe for Pakistanis but generally speaking).

Lara has a 400, Sachin became the first guy to breach 200 in ODIs;

From Pak even his deputy Yusuf has a record of scoring most runs in a calendar year, Saeed Anwar had the highest individual score, Younis Khan breached 10000 runs, Misbah had the fastest test 100, in that context Inzi massively underachieved as I think he is better than all those including Saeed Anwar.
Inzi > Saeed Anwar? I think even inzi would laugh in embrassment, Saeed Anwar is the greatest cricketer from Pakistan, all time.

You making Ahsraful a great player only shows your level of understanding of cricket
Weren't you the guy who said Muhammad Rizwan in the future will end on the list of the top 20 most destructive Asian batsmen of all time?

Meaning rizzu shares the list with Jaysuria, Tendulkar etc etc?

Inzi > Saeed Anwar? I think even inzi would laugh in embrassment, Saeed Anwar is the greatest cricketer from Pakistan, all time.
Saeed Anwar was the greatest Indian basher ever. On top of that excellent to watch in full flow especially against trundlers on flat pitches. That’s what gives the illusion to Pakistanis that he was greater than he actually was. Similar to Asif would have broken Anderson record or was better than Steyn. He was good but that’s all you were going to get from him give or take.

Saeed Anwar used to get a lot of runners, always skipped fielding. In this day and age his career would be even shorter. Inzi was out of shape but never backed off from fielding and always seemed match fit.

I feel Inzi underacheived. To give you context I feel even Sachin underachieved for his talent. Hope that makes sense. Inzi vs Anwar is subjective. I rate Inzi better and no hate for Anwar for bashing our trundlers. Some knocks were breathtaking to watch as a cricket fan but it is what it is.

Saeed Anwar was the greatest Indian basher ever. On top of that excellent to watch in full flow especially against trundlers on flat pitches. That’s what gives the illusion to Pakistanis that he was greater than he actually was. Similar to Asif would have broken Anderson record or was better than Steyn. He was good but that’s all you were going to get from him give or take.

Saeed Anwar used to get a lot of runners, always skipped fielding. In this day and age his career would be even shorter. Inzi was out of shape but never backed off from fielding and always seemed match fit.

I feel Inzi underacheived. To give you context I feel even Sachin underachieved for his talent. Hope that makes sense. Inzi vs Anwar is subjective. I rate Inzi better and no hate for Anwar for bashing our trundlers. Some knocks were breathtaking to watch as a cricket fan but it is what it is.
Saeed Anwar is the greatest pakistani players all time. I don't really care about narratives. No offence.

Ashraful had a few knocks better than Misbah, sure.

But how can you laugh at that when you say Misbah >>> Inzimam.

That is where true understanding of cricket happens.

The death of his daughter made him lose passion for cricket.

Far better than Babar Azam, for sure.
I'm talking about before his daughters death.

Saeed Anwar before that is easily in the class of Rohit, Gilchrist, Warner, Travis, QDK, Jaysuria and many explosive atg openers that have come up and about.

He doesn't get credit because he's Pakistani, his daughters death caused his decline and he played in a very difficult era whereas the current era has made batting very friendly in comparison.

Also idk why you're mentioning defo better then Babar? Babar isn't a hallmark of excellence. He's a mediocre batsmen but ramiz raja media hype has fooled some diehard fans.

Babar is in the class of labu, aka a tad bit below kl Rahul but comfortably above Bavuma like players. In other words nothing special

There are various ways in which players can make important contributions which are not reflected in personal stats such as averages at all. For instance, being a great fielder (eg Paul Collingwood) or a great captain (eg Mike Brearley, whose batting alone wouldn’t have justified his selection).

Graham Thorpe

Never had great numbers like Lara / Kallis / Sachin but was a very reliable middle order bat for England for many years. Averaged 46 against Australia facing peak McGrath & Warne

With stats, let's assume avg and runs both because if you play the game longer, your average will hurt more.

Graham Thorpe

Never had great numbers like Lara / Kallis / Sachin but was a very reliable middle order bat for England for many years. Averaged 46 against Australia facing peak McGrath & Warne

Gower is regarded better by most.

From India, it's undoubtedly Mohinder Amarnath.

ATG test tours to West Indies and Pakistan and a World Cup semi final and final player of match performance but neither he scored a lot of runs or great average

Gower is regarded better by most.
Gower had more finesse and elegance but his contemporary Alan Lamb had much better record against the mighty West Indies in the 80s

Same with Thorpe. Less style & elegance but more substance against Australia - the best team of his era

From India, it's undoubtedly Mohinder Amarnath.

ATG test tours to West Indies and Pakistan and a World Cup semi final and final player of match performance but neither he scored a lot of runs or great average
Mohinder Amarnath is highly rated by most of his contemporaries. Younger fans never saw him play - so don't know him much

Shan Masood, I always believe he is a better player but his average suggests he is more like a lower order batter.

Pakistan had Majid Khan who averaged 38 with bat. @Harsh Thakor is a big fan too.
I think Majid Khan was a very elegant player to watch kind of like VVS Laxman etc. Even some of the older cricket fans in my family like my dad and uncles also rate him and Zaheer Abbas very highly. I used to think they didn’t like Miandad for his antics or for his India bashing and then I did watch Miandad in the end towards his career, while he may have been effective and not taking away from his greatness it was like watching Fawad Alam, Labuschagne type grinding knocks with no elegance. Not for me but doesn’t take away his greatness.

Andrew Flintoff in test cricket.

Averaging low 30s with bat and ball, with not many 100s or 5-fers to speak of, but high-impact player in both facets.

you know people have lost it when they start making claims of Ashraful being a good cricketer.....

The worst cricketer to have ever played.

Ashraful had a few knocks better than Misbah, sure.

But how can you laugh at that when you say Misbah >>> Inzimam.

That is where true understanding of cricket happens.
Misbah and Inzi comaprison was always made in the context of ICC tournament. I think it has become a habit of posters here to ignore context and try to spread false narratives.

Aravinda de Silva is a good shout.

Would add Marcus Trescothick. He was different to the usual grinding English Test openers. His health issues prevented him from fully realising his potential. Good slip catcher too.

you know people have lost it when they start making claims of Ashraful being a good cricketer.....

I understand your emotion but Ashraful was one of the best Bangladesh had. In that context he was very good. He won games singlehandedly vs early 2000 SA and Aus. That should mean something at least.

Misbah and Inzi comaprison was always made in the context of ICC tournament. I think it has become a habit of posters here to ignore context and try to spread false narratives.
To be honest at the expense of being called a Hindutva supporter which I will be anyways, I feel if Misbah would have been captain all this fixing and even over the top display of religion for no reason might have been put in check. While I don’t rate him in T20s, Pak odi and especially tests would have a lot more success had he been made or identified as captain earlier.

I understand your emotion but Ashraful was one of the best Bangladesh had. In that context he was very good. He won games singlehandedly vs early 2000 SA and Aus. That should mean something at least.

Agree.

Ashraful wasn't special by world standard but he was a Bangladeshi legend. He played some impactful innings (chipped in with his part-time spin bowling at times too).

Some of his impactful innings:

- Scored a debut Test century (at the age of 17) against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka. It was a full-strength SL side that had Murali and Vaas. It was a part of Asian Test Championship.

- He scored a match-winning century against Ricky Ponting's ATG Australia which BD won.

- He scored 87 against a strong Graeme Smith's team which BD won.

- He played a decisive knock during BD's first ever win against New Zealand.

- He was involved in a 267-run partnership with Mushfiqur Rahim against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka (2013 Galle Test).

- Scored a fast 50 against West Indies in 2007 World T20 which knocked West Indies out.

Sanath Jaysuriya

The Sanath Jayasuriya of 2009 WT20, almost hit as many chukkaz as Babar & Riz combined in the 2024 edition of the WT20 (only one less that the two love birds together)

I agree he isn't a world class cricketer but how on earth is he the Worst to have ever played?

He's a gem for Bangladeshi standards. The team is bangaldesh not Australia or England where you expect Mcgraths and Pointings to pop up.

For me, Marcus Trescothick. What a lovely player to watch and gun for England during his peak, he played a big role at the top in that 05 series to. He was a dream talent and that GM Bat with the Yellow Grip, had to have one as a kid! he bought so many new fans to the sport, needs to be considered a bit more when viewing an overall legacy.

The Sanath Jayasuriya of 2009 WT20, almost hit as many chukkaz as Babar & Riz combined in the 2024 edition of the WT20 (only one less that the two love birds together)
Bro please don't bring up Jaysuria's name infornt of Rizwan and Babar. I'm sure jaysuria would faint if he saw this.

He'd want his name to slander a cricketer like Sheryas Iyer or Shikhar Dhawan, since Jaysuria is so good he makes already good cricketers look medicore.

Babar and rizwan aren't even in Milky way level distance between him.

Naa man. Ashraful was garbage and over hyped. He got a free run in the team because his team sucked. The bengali team was soo bad that him avg 20ish made him look good.

Agree.

Ashraful wasn't special by world standard but he was a Bangladeshi legend. He played some impactful innings (chipped in with his part-time spin bowling at times too).

Some of his impactful innings:

- Scored a debut Test century (at the age of 17) against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka. It was a full-strength SL side that had Murali and Vaas. It was a part of Asian Test Championship.

- He scored a match-winning century against Ricky Ponting's ATG Australia which BD won.

- He scored 87 against a strong Graeme Smith's team which BD won.

- He played a decisive knock during BD's first ever win against New Zealand.

- He was involved in a 267-run partnership with Mushfiqur Rahim against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka (2013 Galle Test).

- Scored a fast 50 against West Indies in 2007 World T20 which knocked West Indies out.
A legend for bangladesh?

Tamim iqbal is more of a bangladeshi legend.

Ashraful was poor. Thats like me saying nowroz mangal was an afghan legend

Do you even know how many times Akhtar take wickets of VVS in test cricket??

Grand total - 1

VVS average vs Akhtar - 80 .:kp
Haha as I mentioned it's about his defense not the number of wickets Shoaib Akhtar has taken.

by the way correct ur fact here because Laxman got out to Akhtar twice in Test cricket

Back