Predict the winner of the third Test between India and England

Runs
Post of the Week
England 283 all out.

India 271/6.

The scorecards may indicate that this pitch by now has turned into a big turner.

Reality is that this is GHANTA batting by both England and India with majority of wickets thrown away instead of earned.

Pitch is behaving all right (for most part). There is something in for the bowlers but if you dig in, you really can score.

Will India survive the new ball tomorrow and get a 100 run lead and put England under severe pressure?

Or England will keep India's lead to 25-50, score some 250-275 and give us 250+ odd to chase on a Day 4/5 track that could be hard to bat on?

Or will England simply collapse tomorrow and India will get an easy win?

Pitch behavior is unknown.

So what's your prediction guys?

Don't know if the pitch has started taking turn (barring the odd delivery). Let me know reg that.

Watched some highlights and read the opinions of other posters.

If India get a 50 plus lead they will win, I think if England can dismiss India cheaply than cook can bat long England may win.

Need to get England under 250 in 3rd inning.

I think India will still win.They need to get the lead over 50 or else England will have an edge coming into the second part of the game.

India must really dig in and get 400. Long way to go but not impossible to reach. Shouldn't give wickets once you are set and make England earn each wicket.

That lead would deflate England and make it easier for us to get wickets.

Last edited:
England 55-India 45 atm.

Pujara mucked it up when he and Kohli could've had a steady post tea session and put the game out of England's reach like at Vizag. India's dismal collapse means England have the upper hand despite the 4 Indian wickets remaining. That is mainly due to the fact that England will probably start batting around the 2nd session tomorrow when I don't see the pitch misbehaving too much. But India will have to bat probably from the third session day after tomorrow when the pitch will start breaking up real soon and the run scoring will get real difficult on the 4th and the final day.

I won't fancy India chasing a 250 run target because the line up is so dependent on Kohli, Pujara and Ashwin. If Kohli gets out cheaply in the last innings, then it's time to concentrate on Mumbai for India.

It's 50-50 right now. 50 runs lead from India gets cancelled by batting last. If India gets 100 runs lead then you have advantage. Poor batting from both sides here.

India must really dig in and get 400. Long way to go but not impossible to reach. Shouldn't give wickets once you are set and make England earn each wicket.

That lead would deflate England and make it easier for us to get wickets.

Bhai I will be happy with 330 odd as well.... I am just glad we did not concede lead after Kohli 's wicket

Bhai I will be happy with 330 odd as well.... I am just glad we did not concede lead after Kohli 's wicket

Yeah....major crisis averted but still we have a quite a way to go cos we bat last.

Now that we got that thing out of the way, we should aim more....that's what good sides would do.

Great sides would say I would keep batting and batting and if I could get 500 tomorrow, I would do that. They may or may not get but atleast they won't mentally resign to accepting XYZ score is good and job is done.

Yeah....major crisis averted but still we have a quite a way to go cos we bat last.

Now that we got that thing out of the way, we should aim more....that's what good sides would do.

Great sides would say I would keep batting and batting and if I could get 500 tomorrow, I would do that. They may or may not get but atleast they won't mentally resign to accepting XYZ score is good and job is done.

Yeah let's rock tomorrow.....

You have pumped me up, you should travel with Indian team

India will make 330 odd in the first innings. Need to make England fight hard for runs as we are batting last. Anything below 300 we will go for it (knowing Kohli and his ncaptaincy).

India will make 330 odd in the first innings. Need to make England fight hard for runs as we are batting last. Anything below 300 we will go for it (knowing Kohli and his ncaptaincy).

Even without knowing Kohli, I think this game will either be lost or won.... there are no draws here, my friend

Even without knowing Kohli, I think this game will either be lost or won.... there are no draws here, my friend

Well If India bat till lunch tomorrow, we will be around 350 mark. England will like to bat 4-4.5 sessions (as they would be trailing by 75 odd) to score something in excess of 350-370 (RPO of 3.5). India will have something like 3 sessions to either chase it or go for a draw (depending upon our state at tea on day 5).

Well If India bat till lunch tomorrow, we will be around 350 mark. England will like to bat 4-4.5 sessions (as they would be trailing by 75 odd) to score something in excess of 350-370 (RPO of 3.5). India will have something like 3 sessions to either chase it or go for a draw (depending upon our state at tea on day 5).

By your own admission both teams would be all out in max 7 sessions.... wicket will worsen from there and you expect a draw in another 8 sessions....

Match is likely to have result one way or another.

England will score 350 in 3rd innings? Are you kidding me?

India from a logical standpoint may get to just 330 as many posters have mentioned here but if we show real fight, I think we will get to 400. Not easy but have to dig deep and just fight tooth and nail for it.

All the batsmen have to contribute. Just 130 runs to be knocked off.

By your own admission both teams would be all out in max 7 sessions.... wicket will worsen from there and you expect a draw in another 8 sessions....

No, I expect India to win.... and easily too provided we have a 70+ lead. But this is test cricket. Weirder things have happened in Tests.

India from a logical standpoint may get to just 330 as many posters have mentioned here but if we show real fight, I think we will get to 400. Not easy but have to dig deep and just fight tooth and nail for it.

There is no demons in the pitch yet. If not for scoreboard pressure, England could easily dig in and score 350 in the 3rd innings.

Infact, I watched the whole last session today. Pitch is slower as compared to traditional Mohali wicket and thats about it. No rank turner this. Even uneven bounce is not like in Vizag.

Last 4 adding 200+ runs is bit too much.

Last 4 adding 200+ runs is bit too much.

I get you are starting the counter from 200.

But I look at it from a fresh day point of view where everything resets.

130 runs needed. 30 each from 3 bats (Ash, Jaddu and Jayant) and a small cameo will get us close to 110-120 tomorrow.

Its not easy but it is doable. That's why its called fight.

If we look at it from 200 point of view, then India should be bundled out for 300 cos last 4 adding 100 runs is a good deal. But India would be terribly disappointed if they got all out for 300.

There is no demons in the pitch yet. If not for scoreboard pressure, England could easily dig in and score 350 in the 3rd innings.

Infact, I watched the whole last session today. Pitch is slower as compared to traditional Mohali wicket and thats about it. No rank turner this. Even uneven bounce is not like in Vizag.

Maybe but feel 350 is way too high imho against 3 spinners who will be at you 24/7.

And there is scoreboard pressure. When you have to score knowing the other team just has to overtake you comes with its own pressures.

You could be right about 350 but its unlikely imho. I wouldn't trust India to chase down 250 in last innings just like I wouldn't trust England to pile on 350.

Either the pitch must flatten out or we must bowl and field terribly for that to happen.

I get you are starting the counter from 200.

But I look at it from a fresh day point of view where everything resets.

130 runs needed. 30 each from 3 bats (Ash, Jaddu and Jayant) and a small cameo will get us close to 110-120 tomorrow.

I was starting the count because Ashwin and specially Jadeja hardly makes a big knock. After 30-40 runs, I normally expect Jadejs to get out even if he is set.

Anyway, hopefully Eng gets the last 4 wickets quickly to make this match interesting. If last 4 add another 130 runs, then Eng will have very little chance to come back in this game.

I was starting the count because Ashwin and specially Jadeja hardly makes a big knock. After 30-40 runs, I normally expect Jadejs to get out even if he is set.

Anyway, hopefully Eng gets the last 4 wickets quickly to make this match interesting. If last 4 add another 130 runs, then Eng will have very little chance to come back in this game.

Interestingly, anything can happen tomorrow. A couple of quick wickets with new ball and India would be gone for 290-300.

Or India could stick around and score 330.

Or India could survive the new ball and do well till 325-350 after which Jayant and tail can get us 375-400.

Anything can happen thursday really. #bigbangtheory :bm

A fifty-run lead by India would be a big advantage. But India have to bat last on day four or five conditions, and Adil is currently the leading wicket-taker in the series.

A fifty-run lead by India would be a big advantage. But India have to bat last on day four or five conditions, and Adil is currently the leading wicket-taker in the series.

I recon, 50 runs lead and batting last kind of cancel each other.

As this is a prediction thread, an Indian victory is the most likely outcome. England's best chance was to score big in the first inning which they missed badly. They would be lucky to get any positive result from this point. Watch Ashwin destroy them in the second inning. India is the best test side in home conditions.

Back