Punjabis, meet your new Governor!

Could be either Chief Minister though I'd be shocked if so or the new High Commissioner to the UK.

His credibility has been busted in the UK, so he is obviously heading home to pluck some over-ripe trees in Punjab. What a scumbag.

This is horrible, they could not find a single person on whole Pakistan ?

His credibility has been busted in the UK, so he is obviously heading home to pluck some over-ripe trees in Punjab. What a scumbag.

What's with all the vitriol?

He's a very successful businessman and a well respected politician. Some people want to paint him as being 'corrupt' but he was cleared of all the bribery charges he faced in the 90s.

He won election after election in a white working class constituency. He defied the party whip by voting against the Iraq war and was not afraid to voice his criticism of Labour's foreign policy. But of course he's most respected for his efforts in bringing back from Pakistan the murderers of Glasgow boy Kris Donald.

So seriously, why is he a 'scumbag'?

It makes a change for someone to be giving up citizenship of a western country in order to serve in Pakistan. Normally it's the other way round with Pakistan politicians begging for American or British passports.

He's a very successful businessman and a well respected politician. Some people want to paint him as being 'corrupt' but he was cleared of all the bribery charges he faced in the 90s.

He won election after election in a white working class constituency. He defied the party whip by voting against the Iraq war and was not afraid to voice his criticism of Labour's foreign policy. But of course he's most respected for his efforts in bringing back from Pakistan the murderers of Glasgow boy Kris Donald.

It makes a change for someone to be giving up citizenship of a western country in order to serve in Pakistan. Normally it's the other way round with Pakistan politicians begging for American or British passports.

cheers for the info, GS.

don't know much about him, and our Pakistani brethren would rather rely on rhetoric than facts.

Very good post. He is quite respected in the local community too ( both white and non-white) indeed the only criticism I've heard of him recently is his decision to sell alcohol in his cash and carry ( which is purely a religious thing).

He hasn't had a very flattering press across the border here with his corruption charges making big headlines and his son's involvement in the money laundering scam which I believe also used his father's business premises as a base.

But you are right, both were eventually cleared of all charges so the scumbag tag was harsh. Unfortunately the tabloids tend to print the bad news in big headlines and the fact that he was cleared in small print. I still assumed those charges had stuck.

So here's my question. Can they not find anyone else to be the governor? Why import someone?

He may be a good honest guy, but I'm ok with someone renouncing citizenship to contest the elections where there are chances of winning or losing. But someone who renounces citizenship to get a cushy job does not have my respect

does not look good on Pakistan that there is no Pakistani eligible enough to be appointed as a governor of Punjab

MP Sarwar has played a major part in helping PMLN win the elections. He has been a key figure behind the scenes.

And let their be no doubt that he is taking this post with the blessings of Labour Partys leadership. He will be looking after British interests in the UK.

Back