Question Regarding Bats

CD, how do you feel about CA Plus extra power .. a friend of mine just got it and I'm considering it as it looks like an absolute beast of a bat!

frz JazakAllah Khair for posting in this thread. I haven't seen much of CA Extra Power but from what I saw when I was in Lahore, it looked beautiful bat. I mean as the name suggest the profile is quite huge whereas I believe it has lowish middle as well. Usually CA bats have higher middle, hence, they have superb pickup but this bat had lower sweetspot and very good pickup if I remember.

Majid_V3 also has this bat so he can write more about that as well.

frz JazakAllah Khair for posting in this thread. I haven't seen much of CA Extra Power but from what I saw when I was in Lahore, it looked beautiful bat. I mean as the name suggest the profile is quite huge whereas I believe it has lowish middle as well. Usually CA bats have higher middle, hence, they have superb pickup but this bat had lower sweetspot and very good pickup if I remember.

Majid_V3 also has this bat so he can write more about that as well.

Thanks for your reply :) Yeah the bat profile is really quite monstrous..

Any idea how much is a fair price to pay for it?

Thanks for your reply :) Yeah the bat profile is really quite monstrous..

Any idea how much is a fair price to pay for it?

No worries mate!

Indeed the profile is good one.

Uhmm you are in Karachi right? If so then whatever UT charges then thats the fair price I would say because there prices are properly marked and are not like people who in Pakistan charge higher than RRP. I believe it is between Rs. 10,000 - Rs.13.000 although these figures aren't precise.

OK so here is a question to all members. Before starting of next season End of April I wanted to by a non-Asian bat. I am asking it really early because I will set my range and brand as I have time to decide and choose.

So any advice regarding English or Australian bat will be most welcome.

Treat yourself, get an M&H.

Beautifully crafted bats, read the reviews and you'll find not too many people are disappointed with M&H.

Dhump Bhai,

Whats your budget (in Pounds if you don't mind)? Because few of English bats are a bit expensive compare to Asian bats.

I would never recommend big brand bats such as Kookaburra and Gray Nicolls which are made in India nor I would recommend Gunn & Moore because there top of the range bats are expensive. The price you pay for GM Original Limited Edition is what in which you can get two very good quality English made bats (could be handmade as well).

Seeing Younis Khan using CA I hope they come with a limited addition Younis Khan bat. After Inzi TRD just does not feel right. I would certainly be up for one if the profile is right.

Dhump Bhai,

Whats your budget (in Pounds if you don't mind)? Because few of English bats are a bit expensive compare to Asian bats.

I would never recommend big brand bats such as Kookaburra and Gray Nicolls which are made in India nor I would recommend Gunn & Moore because there top of the range bats are expensive. The price you pay for GM Original Limited Edition is what in which you can get two very good quality English made bats (could be handmade as well).

Salam CD,
my range is around 250 GBP and I want to buy it before starting of new season so I have bit of time to decide. BTW my love for Gray-Nicolls is never ending and I guess I have to get one before I can move fwd :D but to be honest I am open for ideas for sure if I can get a better bat for same price I would surely choose that one.

Seeing Younis Khan using CA I hope they come with a limited addition Younis Khan bat. After Inzi TRD just does not feel right. I would certainly be up for one if the profile is right.

I believe you got confused between 'Inzi" and 'Dilshan'. TRD is made because of Dilshan being in CA sponsored list.

I fully agree with what you said. Younis Khan is one of the top Pakistani batsman in the current era and CA should be lucky to get him. I would say CA should have a range superior to TRD and should be named after Younis Khan as you said.

Salam CD,
my range is around 250 GBP and I want to buy it before starting of new season so I have bit of time to decide. BTW my love for Gray-Nicolls is never ending and I guess I have to get one before I can move fwd :D but to be honest I am open for ideas for sure if I can get a better bat for same price I would surely choose that one.

Walakiaumasalam,

Bhai, I really like Gray Nicolls as well and wish to get there bats as well. BUt the reason why I say smaller brands is because companies like Gray Nicolls, GM, Kookaburra etc all make bats in mass production. Obviously when you have to make bats based on quantity then quality is overlooked. So just like that when companies ike GN, GM, Kook etc have mass production of bats the quality is overlooked. I have seen few top of the range GN, GM etc and they are not appealing at all especially with the price tag they carry. In 250 Pounds I don't think you can get top of the range Gray Nicolls bat. I believe it is around 300 Pounds or 300 Pounds+. However, in 250 Pounds you can get a cracker bat of a smaller brands such as Newbery. They (Newbery) are one of the finest bat maker and there bats, craftsmanship etc is fantastic.

Here are picture of xkalibur80 bhai's Newbery Pictures;

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showpost.php?p=3087264&postcount=23

AamerM Bhai's son NEwbery;

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showpost.php?p=3083841&postcount=15

My NEwbery Review:

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=110001

Please let me know if you have anymore question.

Newbery are hardly small when you see how many people use them on the club circuit round here. And a GM Original L.E. costs roughly the same as an SPS.

Newbery are hardly small when you see how many people use them on the club circuit round here. And a GM Original L.E. costs roughly the same as an SPS.

Yes, but when comparing Newbery with Gray Nicolls, GM etc they are smaller.

Nahh check it out;

Owzat is selling Icon LE for £309.99 whereas you can get Thruxton SPS for £224.99 at Uzisports.

I believe you got confused between 'Inzi" and 'Dilshan'. TRD is made because of Dilshan being in CA sponsored list.

No CD bhai I know TRD is named after Dilshan. My point was after sponsoring Inzi you would hope they sponsor another Pakistani legend. For Pakistani market having TRD on a limited edition bat does not make much sense.

No CD bhai I know TRD is named after Dilshan. My point was after sponsoring Inzi you would hope they sponsor another Pakistani legend. For Pakistani market having TRD on a limited edition bat does not make much sense.

Yes, I agree with that. Since they have got Younis Khan now they should have a top of the line for Younis Khan.

Salam CD,

why dont u look at San Andreas Fault cricket bats. it was voted best by All out cricket. www.safcricket.co.uk
or you can try redback http://www.redbackcricket.com/

Yes, but when comparing Newbery with Gray Nicolls, GM etc they are smaller.

Nahh check it out;

Owzat is selling Icon LE for £309.99 whereas you can get Thruxton SPS for £224.99 at Uzisports.

There's only ten pounds between a top of the range Flare and the Newbery SPS bats at vks.

Thank you for the advice CD and some nice discussion and ideas fwd by sami. I like newbery to be honest I think they are high quality bats but if the possibilities are there which brands from Newbery,GN,GM and Kookaburra would you guys suggest in my range. Another thing I checked most of the bats that are available are in 2.8 + is it not possible to get a real light weight bat in these brands.

BTW just to get you guys an idea I am personally 5.7" so I was wondering if I can buy a bat in Harrow size will it make any difference of course they are cheaper and lighter but is there any other issue in them ? some advice on this will be most welcome.

Last edited:
There is an Academy size bat that's now available to bridge the gap between Harrow and SH.
GM definitely do this size although at 5.7 you should be fine with a light SH. There are a number of places where you can get a bat to your specs, these include: SAF, Redback, Hawk, Warsop, Salix, Willostix, Nixon, Solitaire, M&H. There are lots more also.

CD I don't think all Gray Nicholls bats are mass produced.
I was at the Lords test in August and they had a Gray Nicholls kiosk there and outside it they had their master bat maker hand making bats. It didn't take him very long to take a cleft and make it into a bat. I suppose the top of the range bats are all handmade.

Those were Pro Performance grade clefts I believe, though at £150 it was a staggering offer.

So I received a reply from Warsop regarding Venom - 234 pounds out the door.

They have one Venom in production right now and this is what they replied back with:

We have just had a 2.9 Venom through to be finished off so if were interested in this one, provided you make payment by card over the phone it could leave us today to be with you tomorrow. As it is not yet finished off you may have the colour transfers of your choice. In stock at the moment we have black/silver,blue/silver,purple/silver, yellow/silver or green/silver. This venom bat has eleven grains

What do they mean by colour transfer?

CD I don't think all Gray Nicholls bats are mass produced.
I was at the Lords test in August and they had a Gray Nicholls kiosk there and outside it they had their master bat maker hand making bats. It didn't take him very long to take a cleft and make it into a bat. I suppose the top of the range bats are all handmade.

Those were Pro Performance grade clefts I believe, though at £150 it was a staggering offer.

I have heard about this somewhere else as well. I am not too sure if thats how they are actually made in their factory (in East Sussex).

If I remember I was reading people experience regarding this and they weren't happy with the work at all!

They have one Venom in production right now and this is what they replied back with:

We have just had a 2.9 Venom through to be finished off so if were interested in this one, provided you make payment by card over the phone it could leave us today to be with you tomorrow. As it is not yet finished off you may have the colour transfers of your choice. In stock at the moment we have black/silver,blue/silver,purple/silver, yellow/silver or green/silver. This venom bat has eleven grains

I believe by colour transfer they mean which colour do you want for stickers. If I am correct there stickers have two shade of colours in them and they were asking you your preference in regards to that.

Also I think they are assuming you are in UK.

Thank you for the advice CD and some nice discussion and ideas fwd by sami. I like newbery to be honest I think they are high quality bats but if the possibilities are there which brands from Newbery,GN,GM and Kookaburra would you guys suggest in my range. Another thing I checked most of the bats that are available are in 2.8 + is it not possible to get a real light weight bat in these brands.

BTW just to get you guys an idea I am personally 5.7" so I was wondering if I can buy a bat in Harrow size will it make any difference of course they are cheaper and lighter but is there any other issue in them ? some advice on this will be most welcome.

There is an Academy size bat that's now available to bridge the gap between Harrow and SH.
GM definitely do this size although at 5.7 you should be fine with a light SH. There are a number of places where you can get a bat to your specs, these include: SAF, Redback, Hawk, Warsop, Salix, Willostix, Nixon, Solitaire, M&H. There are lots more also.

I agree with what AamerM Bhai said. Since you are 5.7" (MashAllah) you can easily use a normal Short Handle size bat. Few of my clubmates are around 5.7'ish mark and they use short handle bat which works fine for them.

My Newbery is in 2.7 one of my club mates GM Icon LE is around 2.7 mark as well so they (Newbery, GN, Kookaburra, GM etc) certainly have bats below 2.8 mark.

Again if you like to opt out for Kookaburra, Gray Nicolls, Gunn & Moore etc then you can surely do that. Pardon me if you find me a bit "pressurizing" lol. Personally I love Gray Nicolls as my favourite player use it and my first purchase was a Gray Nicolls bat. A month ago I went to local store and saw lots of Kahuna there and they were very good. The shape was great whereas the grains weren't that appealing. I am not sure about there performance as I didn't dare to tap them with a mallet.

I believe by colour transfer they mean which colour do you want for stickers. If I am correct there stickers have two shade of colours in them and they were asking you your preference in regards to that.

Also I think they are assuming you are in UK.

Thanks - I have someone coming from UK so they can bring it with them.

The bat has a lowish middle....

Thanks - I have someone coming from UK so they can bring it with them.

The bat has a lowish middle....

Then thats great!

I believe Venom is choice of Warsop Professional players who have been sponsored by them such as Foster. They them self tell the customers to buy lowish middle bats as England pitches have low bounce.

Then thats great!

I believe Venom is choice of Warsop Professional players who have been sponsored by them such as Foster. They them self tell the customers to buy lowish middle bats as England pitches have low bounce.

Well our pitches have a super low bounce so that works.....even the GT has a lower middle.

Has anyone used the AS V10 bats? I used to have a V3 which was excellent and I am considering a V10 as my next bat

What pakistani bat would you recommend for around 6000-7000 pk rupees?

with shipping an all it is a pricy bat. they are great bats - i had one that our opener now uses. he's dropped all the bats he used to have for this one. you can come to our nets one of these days and try that warsop out. i had also gotten that one just slightly used - and i think its in its prime now.

Has anyone used the AS V10 bats? I used to have a V3 which was excellent and I am considering a V10 as my next bat

I haven't used but I have seen it and I must say its a great bat or the stick I saw was very good. It was around 2.7 mark and it had huge profile (close to 50 mm edges). Spine went all the way to the toe whereas balance and pickup was just perfect.

I am not too sure about CA mid end models but you can get a G2 Sher Amin which is around Rs. 6300, Bubber Sher around Rs. 9000, V3 around Rs. 8000 and V10 around Rs. 10,000.

By the way, welcome to PP. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

I haven't used but I have seen it and I must say its a great bat or the stick I saw was very good. It was around 2.7 mark and it had huge profile (close to 50 mm edges). Spine went all the way to the toe whereas balance and pickup was just perfect.

I am not too sure about CA mid end models but you can get a G2 Sher Amin which is around Rs. 6300, Bubber Sher around Rs. 9000, V3 around Rs. 8000 and V10 around Rs. 10,000.

By the way, welcome to PP. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Thanks again CD for sorting the account for me.
Im not a huge fan of CA. Sher amin bats are very good as I have used them in the past and my brother has one.
Has anyone used the mid end Ihsan bats which cost around 6-7k Rs.?

Thanks again CD for sorting the account for me.
Im not a huge fan of CA. Sher amin bats are very good as I have used them in the past and my brother has one.
Has anyone used the mid end Ihsan bats which cost around 6-7k Rs.?

No worries!

I believe when your brother got his Sher Amin they were Grade 1's, however, now Sher Amin are only made in Grade 2.

Your best bet would be Posion. Poison Bhai, can you please tell revboy more about your Ihsan's?

Poison I meant to say :)

lol i meant you told him poison would be his best bet. just read funny the first time i read it.

harlequin is a good bat - but if i got one - id get james laver to make it for me. hes the one who made the original.

lol i meant you told him poison would be his best bet. just read funny the first time i read it.

harlequin is a good bat - but if i got one - id get james laver to make it for me. hes the one who made the original.

:))

Indeed when I was writing it sounded funny but its his username which is funny :)

One guy has it and he is asking £185 whereas on M&H website it is around £270 if I am correct.

with shipping an all it is a pricy bat. they are great bats - i had one that our opener now uses. he's dropped all the bats he used to have for this one. you can come to our nets one of these days and try that warsop out. i had also gotten that one just slightly used - and i think its in its prime now.

Where do you guys practice?

khans sports. so did you take my advice - or are you getting a warsop, sg, and a top of the line Newbery?
:inti

Wow - that is far dude....to answer your second question, if I was to buy all three, I better be scoring 1000 runs next season...LoL.

Just had a look at this video and it looks GM bats profile is machine made.

In the beginning of this video;

[utube]HHYRFRKjw_M[/utube]

Nevertheless, the machine (CNC) seem to be very impressive.

Hi my name is Tareq and im from áfghanistan im buying a new bat my last bat weight was 2 lb 7oz it was to light for me any tipsof good bats?

Hello,

I've used AS V10 cricket bat. I've bought it from Basharat bhai (sialkotshop.com) two months ago. I've had aprox. 12 sessions indoor and I must say the bat is by far my best bat I've ever used. The pickup, the feeling as well as the sweetspot can be described in one word: AMAZING! I will upload some pictures in the right section.

Feel free to ask me questions.:razzaq

Last edited:
Hi my name is Tareq and im from áfghanistan im buying a new bat my last bat weight was 2 lb 7oz it was to light for me any tipsof good bats?

Welcome to PP Tareq. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Sorry for not replying earlier. First of all whats your budget? There are many Pakistani and Non-Pakistani bats which fall near your weight range.

Hello,

I've used AS V10 cricket bat. I've bought it from Basharat bhai (sialkotshop.com) two months ago. I've had aprox. 12 sessions indoor and I must say the bat is by far my best bat I've ever used. The pickup, the feeling as well as the sweetspot can be described in one word: AMAZING! I will upload some pictures in the right section.

Feel free to ask me questions.:razzaq

Welcome to PP! I hope you enjoy your stay.

I am glad your V10 is going well!

Just out of curiosity which soft do you use?

Welcome to PP Tareq. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Sorry for not replying earlier. First of all whats your budget? There are many Pakistani and Non-Pakistani bats which fall near your weight range.

Welcome to PP! I hope you enjoy your stay.

I am glad your V10 is going well!

Just out of curiosity which soft do you use?

Thank you,

Currently I'm using Bubber sher gloves and pads, because before my AS V10 I had Bubber sher cricket bat. A friend of mine bought it from me because he loved it all the way (was also a very good piece of cleft I must mention)

Thank you,

Currently I'm using Bubber sher gloves and pads, because before my AS V10 I had Bubber sher cricket bat. A friend of mine bought it from me because he loved it all the way (was also a very good piece of cleft I must mention)

Do your Buber Sher gloves have black palm?

After use how are Bubber Sher pads and gloves?

Got any pictures of Bubber Sher bat?

Do your Buber Sher gloves have black palm?

After use how are Bubber Sher pads and gloves?

Got any pictures of Bubber Sher bat?

No, unfortunately don't have photo of mine bubber sher bat, But I will look what I can do, will try to contact my friend and ask him to send me some photo's.

The gloves have white palms, In the beginning they were outstanding, great grip, good isolation etc, but I must say I don't feel comfortable anymore with these gloves. I'm searching for some really lightweight gloves with great grip, any tips bhai??

The pads are really good, still good quality and very light.

No, unfortunately don't have photo of mine bubber sher bat, But I will look what I can do, will try to contact my friend and ask him to send me some photo's.

Lol it's okay mate, don't worry :)

I moved the gloves topic in the 'Question Regarding Gloves' thread.

Last edited:
where r u based tareq? describe your playing style so that we can recommend something good.

where r u based tareq? describe your playing style so that we can recommend something good.

thanks for help im not that tall and i am batting something like fawad alam but i dont have my feet too wide across. i like playing big shots and score runs and i like playing test matches. when the bowler is about to realese the ball i prepare to play it so i go forward when i go forward i cover leg and middle stump. hope you understand how i bat. i would be happy if you replied me. AND im right hand batsman

thanks for help im not that tall and i am batting something like fawad alam but i dont have my feet too wide across. i like playing big shots and score runs and i like playing test matches. when the bowler is about to realese the ball i prepare to play it so i go forward when i go forward i cover leg and middle stump. hope you understand how i bat. i would be happy if you replied me. AND im right hand batsman

From your playing style I am assuming you like to slog and like to driving. Personally I would recommend you AS V3 or V10 as I find them best Asian bats for its value. There is not much of a difference between V10 and V3. The only main difference between these two bats is that V10 has a better willow. As far profile and shape is concerned it is more or less the same.

I did a bit of research and found the following bat which fall in your budget range;

CA 10000 Plus

http://www.sialkotshop.com/ca-plus-10000-bat.html

MB Malik Bubber Sher

http://www.sialkotshop.com/mb-malik-bubber-sher.html

Ihsan Inferno 950

http://www.sialkotshop.com/ihsan-sports-inferno-950.html

AS V10

http://www.sialkotshop.com/as-sports-cricket-bat-v-10.html

AS V3

http://www.sialkotshop.com/as-sports-cricket-bat-v-3-72.html

All of these bats are around 120 Pounds whereas I am not exactly sure where you live so I am not sure of postage cost.

I have seen all of these bats and I must say all of them are top drawer bat and are very good. If you are after which have a really light pickup then I would recommend CA along AS whereas Ihsan pickup is not that bad either. Bubber Sher is kinda low sweetspot bat so pick up would be slight heavy compare to CA and AS.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask me.

Thanks! for reply and you¨re right i like to drive thanks for your help i will have look at AS V3 and V10. isnt that the bat that asad shafiq and mohammad shahzad use? And i live in Sweden where can i see how much the shipping cost? :)

Last edited:
No worries.

Yes, V3/V10 is basically used by Shafiq, Wahab, Razzaq and many more. I am not sure who is Mohammad Shahzad.

Click 'Add to Cart' and follow the steps and you will find how much it is.

What is the difference between oval and round bat handle and which one is more commonly used

In my experience the majority of bats tend to be round handle, at least they certainly used to be.

A round handle bat is cylindrical all the way down, whereas an oval handle is less circular towards the bottom.

does anyone know what kind of bat tendulkar uses??
Gambhir is using SS, Sehwag SG, Dravid also SG, dhoni uses SS and so does yuvi!
my bet is it is some English brand!

SS, have you seen or came across any Salix?

If so how are they? Lately I am getting tempted to try one of them...

I've never used one, but the finish on them certainly is nice, as was the pickup on the ones I've seen in shops.

Which ones do you see? How's Daemon and Pod?

I am thinking of giving Daemon a nod. What do you think?

Salix is a popular brand with private school kids in England. I haven't seen a great deal of these bats being used by adults. I also read somewhere that their bats are made in India and finished at their workshop in Kent.

i think people had started that discussion as they have a kashimir willow bat that is being made in india and finished in kent. people , i think wrongly assumed that some english willow bats were also being made there and finished as top models in Kent. However, i dont think Salix would do that - as it would be a pretty big reputational risk. though i could be completely wrong.

how these bats are priced much higher then Newbery SPS or even M&H models i dont know.

Salix's Kashmiri Willow bats are made in India just like other brands. However, there adults and top of the line bats are made in Kent by Andrew.

All the Junior bats as well as Kashmir bats come from india but as far as I know all the top end of Salix bats are made by Andrew Kember. I have many custom made bats made by Andrew Kember in my presence.

Regards

Asad

Sounds about right Asad, kids shouldn't worry about where their bats are made anyway.

Back