Racism in England and particularly in Bradford

junoon

Tape Ball Regular
Runs
I do know that race riots happened back in 2001 between asian youths and white racists in Bradford, oldham and manchester.

But recently someone told me that there are now some no-go areas in the neighbourhoods of Bradford. If a pakistani goes to the white areas of bradford then they face threat of violence, and vice-versa the whites are not safe in the asian no-go areas.

I was amazed and shocked to hear that. I know that racism was really bad in england in 1970s and early 1980s but thought things have now changed for the better.

Can any members from bradford or elsewhere in England tell us about it from first-hand experiece?

Ghoshtbuster said:
I dont know any specifics, but Bradford itself is a "no go" area.

:)))

and the original post is a joke

There are 'no-go' areas in virtually every city in every country of the world.

Some of the divisions are on race...some class...some 'gang'...some territorial etc etc

The only areas I avoid in my city are the Somali ones and a place called Ely where any outsider is considered an 'outsider'!

I have a simple policy on Bradford.

I no go.

insaftak said:
brooklyn new york
yeah there are neighborhoods in bronx you cant go at night I have heard. By the way, you from coney Island by any chance?

12thMan said:
Haven't heard this name before? This is close to where (major area)? Are you a citizen?

between bayparkway and bay ridge

insaftak said:
brooklyn new york

Brooklyn ain't so bad mate. Harlem's worse. Anything past 100th St.

That said, NYC is pretty safe these days, compared to Boston. Dorchester and Roxbury are pretty bad.

Anything south of Scotland is a definite no-go.

Is there anything south of Scotland?

Bradford was the reason that Shaukhat Ali once sang "Main Walait Kanoo Ageyaa".

Saj said:
Bradford was the reason that Shaukhat Ali once sang "Main Walait Kanoo Ageyaa".

baap baitay nuun uk vich matt daindah

your own bijness my own bijness

which is the song in which he describes white womens blonde hair as "saiviyaan vargay baal" ?

TAK said:
baap baitay nuun uk vich matt daindah

your own bijness my own bijness

which is the song in which he describes white womens blonde hair as "saiviyaan vargay baal" ?
its the same song TAK - Main Walait kanu ageyaa.

I like Bradford, been to the Mela quite a few times at Peel Park, Mumtaz restaurant and I believe that there is now a new shopping centre solely for Asian shops ?

Joseph K. said:
Is Bradford in England?

Mother and son, Bradford, 1978

bradfordimage.jpg

when ah were a lad we only ever used the one crate:

1445826.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Bradford_riots

It is now almost 2 decades since the race riots in Bradford. Have things changed for the better?

Well there hasn't been any more riots in Bradford, although the exemplary stiff sentencing of British Pakistanis probably had a lot to do with that. Strangely that hasn't deterred other races from rioting in England or anywhere else, although perhaps the sentencing has been slightly less exemplary in those cases.

Well there hasn't been any more riots in Bradford, although the exemplary stiff sentencing of British Pakistanis probably had a lot to do with that. Strangely that hasn't deterred other races from rioting in England or anywhere else, although perhaps the sentencing has been slightly less exemplary in those cases.

Civil rights, black lives matter... The greatest injustice in British judicial history.

The number of anti-Sikh hate crimes reported across Britain has increased by 70% in the last two years, according to Home Office figures, prompting calls for "urgent action" to tackle the problem.

I hope things don't get so bad for me that I ever have to go to Bradford in my lifetime.

My old university town. One day I shall return.

I hope things don't get so bad for me that I ever have to go to Bradford in my lifetime.

Bradford is still the best place for Pakistani food in my opinion. Last time I was there was Akbar's Cafe. Food was okay, you can get better, but the atmosphere was buzzing. Lots of trendy young types in there and it was packed. You wouldn't be missed.

Bradford is still the best place for Pakistani food in my opinion. Last time I was there was Akbar's Cafe. Food was okay, you can get better, but the atmosphere was buzzing. Lots of trendy young types in there and it was packed. You wouldn't be missed.

I shall bear this in mind next time I am up there :)

I shall bear this in mind next time I am up there :)

Bradford has suffered from a bad rep due to racial profiling, but it's actually a beautiful area of England if you can look past that. Too far from me personally, but I would think the property value has a lot of potential to rise considering if you were an investor.

The last time I visited Bradford, I wasn’t really impressed.

The streets were filthy, there were kids running around the streets, people were drying their linen outside their homes, and teenagers were loitering around corners. The whole place was in a state of dilapidation.

The best place to live in the UK is High Wycombe. There are fewer Pakistanis hence less crime and other irritants.

The streets were filthy, there were kids running around the streets, people were drying their linen outside their homes, and teenagers were loitering around corners. The whole place was in a state of dilapidation.

The best place to live in the UK is High Wycombe. There are fewer Pakistanis hence less crime and other irritants.

The places you visited will have been Pakistani areas which are in a state of flux because of immigration. You would have found the same in New York back when the Italians moved in in the 20th century. There are nicer areas in Bradford but you wouldn't go there because the locals would probably call the police if they saw you approaching.

If you want to find places with fewer Pakistanis you could try Toxteth in Liverpool or Pennywell in Sunderland. You'd probably get your head caved in if you mentioned that High Wycombe was the best place to live in the UK though. Chances are you'd get your head caved in even if you didn't to be honest.

Bradford has suffered from a bad rep due to racial profiling, but it's actually a beautiful area of England if you can look past that. Too far from me personally, but I would think the property value has a lot of potential to rise considering if you were an investor.

Flippin’ cold in winter though. We were there about a decade ago. It was nicer than I recalled from student days, when the textile mills had all closed leading to mass unemployment.

Akbar's is good.

I recommend MyLahore. Magnificent chicken tikka biryanis.

I love the internet for thr wide variety of views you get. PP has produced some gems over the years but I dont think a post has ever made me laugh so much as 'the best place to live in the UK is high wycomb'

I dont know why I found it so amusing.

I love the internet for thr wide variety of views you get. PP has produced some gems over the years but I dont think a post has ever made me laugh so much as 'the best place to live in the UK is high wycomb'

It sounds like a sitcom punchline.....

It's funny because I'm sure I read the poster moaning about the price of Hong Kong property and having to live in a flat or room with about 600 sq ft of space. He could probably buy a mansion in Yorkshire for that and spend every evening walking the dales breathing the air of God's own country.

Don't know much about Bradford but Zayn is from there and he wrote about the racism and all the race riots he grew up with. Seems like an interesting town, might visit somedoay.

Love dining in the top standard restraunts in bradistan sorry Bradford, My lahore certainly is my pick, wife being a red head not to keen normally on hot spices but adores the quality offered there.

Love dining in the top standard restraunts in bradistan sorry Bradford, My lahore certainly is my pick, wife being a red head not to keen normally on hot spices but adores the quality offered there.

Chicken tikka biryanis mentioned above, and I also had a lamb & potato curry there once which I could have hooked into my veins, yum lol.

Been to MyLahore in Manchester once and ordered the burger which I regretted afterwards when I had a taste of the curry dishes which others had ordered. The burger was just ok, had better in Pakistan to be honest, but MyLahore know how to do authentic Pakistani food.

Things you will always see in Bradford:

Terrible driving standards (usually Asians)
Boy racers (usually Asians)
Great food

Things you will always see in Bradford:

Terrible driving standards (usually Asians)
Boy racers (usually Asians)
Great food

I visited some relatives in Bradford who wanted to show me their car collection. As we went for a drive, I put my seatbelt on and my relative was offended saying 'Dont I like his driving' to which I replied its the law. They do have a strange fasination with cars, every few months there is a terrible accident. The Bradford girl racers are now abou too.

Overall I like the town, has improved a lot since the late 90's.

I remember going to Bradford last year and settling down to have a meal at a restaurant.

Nearby there was a wedding taking place. There were lots of hired Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Maseratis, Porsches from the boy's side. For about 30 minutes all they did was just keep revving their engines and going up and down the road at ridiculous speeds, driving on the wrong side of the road and racing against each other.

They thought it was great fun, until one of them smashed his car into a parked vehicle and the police arrived.

I visited some relatives in Bradford who wanted to show me their car collection. As we went for a drive, I put my seatbelt on and my relative was offended saying 'Dont I like his driving' to which I replied its the law. They do have a strange fasination with cars, every few months there is a terrible accident. The Bradford girl racers are now abou too.

Overall I like the town, has improved a lot since the late 90's.

Has improved but the druggy life style still exists, the younger generation have fallen pray to this shocking drug and gang culture.

Has improved but the druggy life style still exists, the younger generation have fallen pray to this shocking drug and gang culture.

There is a cocaine epidemic raving the UK, in all ethnicities and areas of the country. Bradford has seen a herion issue for years but now drugs are more readily available , cheaper and in many cases stronger. Rich people in richer areas also take cocaine but youths who have little money or lack of opporuntity often drown and ruin lives inc the lives of their families. Its so sad to see even though I feel a grown person should use their own brain.

There is a cocaine epidemic raving the UK, in all ethnicities and areas of the country. Bradford has seen a herion issue for years but now drugs are more readily available , cheaper and in many cases stronger. Rich people in richer areas also take cocaine but youths who have little money or lack of opporuntity often drown and ruin lives inc the lives of their families. Its so sad to see even though I feel a grown person should use their own brain.

Agree, it's rife in society

I had the misfortune of going to Bradford once in 2013 (I think) when my cousin tagged me along.

I only spent about 4 hours there but they were enough for me to decide that I shall never step foot in that place again.

I think it was voted as the worst place to live in Britain few years back, and it probably is unless you are a homesick Pakistani.

Never been to High Wycombe so just out of interest, I searched Google to see if people generally perceive it to be one of the better places to live in England, and it appears that no one shares the same opinion as you.

While I agree that fewer Pakistanis is always a plus, but it is not the only criteria when it comes to determining the quality of life in a particular place, although I must admit it is a huge factor.

I had the misfortune of going to Bradford once in 2013 (I think) when my cousin tagged me along.

I only spent about 4 hours there but they were enough for me to decide that I shall never step foot in that place again.

I think it was voted as the worst place to live in Britain few years back, and it probably is unless you are a homesick Pakistani.

You must have been a homesick Pakistani then, otherwise what were you doing there? There are plenty of horrible white areas you could visit as an alternative where you could eat pie and chips in a dingy pub and maybe get assaulted for entering a no go area.

You dios and saeedhk should really get around if you want to see run down places, no need to stick to Pakistani dominated areas.

You must have been a homesick Pakistani then, otherwise what were you doing there? There are plenty of horrible white areas you could visit as an alternative where you could eat pie and chips in a dingy pub and maybe get assaulted for entering a no go area.

You dios and saeedhk should really get around if you want to see run down places, no need to stick to Pakistani dominated areas.

I accompanied my cousin who went on a work related trip. I was aware of its reputation but I was curious to see what the fuss was about, and I think the reality of the place was worse than its reputation.

I accompanied my cousin who went on a work related trip. I was aware of its reputation but I was curious to see what the fuss was about, and I think the reality of the place was worse than its reputation.

Bradford is what you would expect to be honest, if you were expecting something more classy then more fool you. When I was in Dubai I stayed in the Jumeirah area which is the place to be, but out of curiosity I did visit Bur Dubai where all the Indians and Pakistan quarters are. As you would expect it looked exactly like a replication of India, lots of trashy and cheap quality establishments with lower standards. This is just the reality of the Indian subcontinent. They are a third world country and wherever they go reflects it.

Bradford is what you would expect to be honest, if you were expecting something more classy then more fool you. When I was in Dubai I stayed in the Jumeirah area which is the place to be, but out of curiosity I did visit Bur Dubai where all the Indians and Pakistan quarters are. As you would expect it looked exactly like a replication of India, lots of trashy and cheap quality establishments with lower standards. This is just the reality of the Indian subcontinent. They are a third world country and wherever they go reflects it.

Yes, Bur Dubai/Deira is another go-to area of Dubai for home sick Pakistanis and Indians where they can get a karak chai for 5 dirhams and moan about how expensive downtown Dubai and how proud the Emiratis are.

I suppose if you live in England or Dubai permanently you will find the appeal in places like Bradford and Bur Dubai.

Yes, Bur Dubai/Deira is another go-to area of Dubai for home sick Pakistanis and Indians where they can get a karak chai for 5 dirhams and moan about how expensive downtown Dubai and how proud the Emiratis are.

I suppose if you live in England or Dubai permanently you will find the appeal in places like Bradford and Bur Dubai.

As I said already, the main reason anyone goes to Bradford would be food, we don't go there to look at the scenery. You can see that genuine Brits like King Khan, Robert, James and me won't really be that fussed about the scenery since that's not why we are there. I think these things matter more to those who feel apologetic or shame, maybe they have some attachment to Pakistan so the self hatred kicks in.

If you don't want to be in the city centre, you could try Mumtaz, that's a top class restaurant environment and quite a nice setting as it's an old building with some character. Not sure if it's a listed building but could well be.

Bradford for those who aren't aware was one of the first destinations in the UK for Pakistani immigrants and of course Shaukat Ali once sang about the infamous Lumb Lane in Bradford.

Newcastle:

Newcastle's mayor has said he was left "infuriated to the core" after his mosque was attacked by youths shouting racist abuse and hurling fireworks.

Habib Rahman said worshippers were nearly struck by rockets when the building was targeted by up to eight teenagers on Saturday evening.

Northumbria Police is investigating.

Mr Rahman, whose father was killed in a racist attack in Newcastle in 1977, became the city's first BAME mayor when he was appointed in May.

He said he heard the sizzle of a rocket being lit and saw it aimed directly at people entering the mosque, with one shot narrowly missing an elderly man, the Local Democracy Reporting Service said.

Mr Rahman said the youths then fled and hurled racist abuse at him, telling him to "go back where you came from".

Having called the police, he then heard more fireworks being let off as he was inside praying and confronted the group as he left the mosque.

He was then subjected to more insults and had a rocket aimed straight at him, while several more missiles were also fired towards worshippers and at the mosque itself, he said.

Mr Rahman said: "It was a horrible situation, it was absolutely sickening. I was scared and it has infuriated me to the core.

"Where on earth have these kids picked up these bigoted, racist thoughts? Muslim people have been living in this area since long before these kids were born.

"They have contributed and continue to contribute in so many ways to making the area better for us all.

"When I came home I told my sons that if they ever behaved in that kind of way then I would disown them."

Insp Andrew Stephenson, of Northumbria Police, said: "This type of behaviour, committed by the overwhelming minority, is completely unacceptable and will not be tolerated. Not only have they damaged property but they could have seriously injured someone."

Mr Rahman said the youths then fled and hurled racist abuse at him, telling him to "go back where you came from".

Having called the police, he then heard more fireworks being let off as he was inside praying and confronted the group as he left the mosque.

He was then subjected to more insults and had a rocket aimed straight at him, while several more missiles were also fired towards worshippers and at the mosque itself, he said.

Mr Rahman said: "It was a horrible situation, it was absolutely sickening. I was scared and it has infuriated me to the core.

"Where on earth have these kids picked up these bigoted, racist thoughts?

They never really went away, but have come back to the surface as a result of the Brexit vote and a racist PM who dog whistles to racist voters with comments about letterboxes.

That mosque if it's the old one, is in one of the worst areas in the city. It's not so bad now with the regular influx of immigrants, first Pakistani, then Bangladeshi, now probably Somalians, Afghans or Eastern Europeans. But it always had a hardcore of low income whites who are often drugged up or fuelled by alcohol. Not really a massive surprise there is often trouble there.

This hot on the heels of the latest piece of research on extremism in school, conducted by UCL, which finds that there is an increasing number of young people with Islamophobic, racist and far right-wing ideologies.

How is the racism in UK right now?

Are there still no-go areas? :cry: :)

Back