Rahul Sharma - Performance Watch

sazz

Tape Ball Captain
Runs
This guy again proves that determination and hard work will always lead to success. :14:

Determination:
Rahul had signed up with Deccan Chargers for IPL 2010 and was looking forward to making his debut under a man he credits for playing a major role in his rise - Adam Gilchrist. Six days before the tournament began though, Rahul developed severe pain on the right side of his face, his vision became hazy and his doctor declared that he could not play as he had Bell's Palsy.

"I was devastated as I desperately wanted to play," Rahul told ESPNcricinfo. "But I was weak after taking medication for my condition." Rahul's desperation was understandable. After having remained on the fringes of the Punjab team since making his first-class debut in 2006, he had enjoyed a breakthrough 2009-10 domestic season.

His illness was causing practical problems before the IPL though. With dodgy vision in one eye, batting was one of them. Even allowing for the fact that he would not be required to perform much with the bat, there was no way he could be sharp while fielding, which is one area where passengers are rudely exposed in the shortest format.

That is where Gilchrist came in, and the former Deccan captain's unwavering support left a lasting mark of gratitude on Rahul. "Gilchrist said I had to push myself to play, no matter what." A compromise was worked out. Rahul fielded in the 30-yard circle, armed with eye-drops and a towel. "I could not even close my right eye; it was so bad that it used to remain open throughout. So I used to put eye-drops after every ball. I also carried a towel, and used to wipe my eye whenever it started to water too much."

Success:
In IPL
Rahul has picked up 16 wickets in 12 games, at an economy rate of 5.33, making him the third highest wicket-taker in the tournament as on May 18. That figure seems even more remarkable when compared to other Indian legspinners, particularly the two most prominent: Amit Mishra has gone at 7.07 an over, Piyush Chawla has leaked 7.71.

article source: Click here

thanks for posting this brother, very inspirational, hope he makes it

He is a hard working cricketer who utilizes whatever talent he has. He is tall about 6'4 or 6'5 and that is honestly another fast bowler who turned into a leg spinner because of the quality of wickets in India. Still taking nothing away from the lad . If someone heard yesterday Brad Hogg was completely in love and full of praises for Sharma(maybe more so because he was also emotional about the hard phase which sharma went through).

Last edited:
Always good to hear/read about such people. Way to go Rahul !

but with dhoni's favouratie bhajji and chawla in the team do u see him gettin a call up 2 the national squad???????

And not to forget the support and motivation given by Adam Gilchrist, a true legend of the game.

but with dhoni's favouratie bhajji and chawla in the team do u see him gettin a call up 2 the national squad???????

after a gap of 3 years chawla returned to squad owing to good domestic performances and played 3 games and was dropped.how come he is dhoni's favorite?when jadeja batting it was said he was dhoni's favorite,r.p singh was said to be dhoni's favorite,all these guys not in the team.how come everyone who stays in the team become dhoni's favorites

Why not, if he is consistent in his performances he should definitely get a chance to play for India.

mental toughness is the key to success at international irena.
I am sure, this would be asset for this brave man!

Dhoni is waiting for the opportunity to throw Bhajji out of the team :misbah

Really impressed with the guy. Infact he is the only Indian spinner that has been fantastic in the IPL.

Bhajji and Dhoni are business partners. They have invested millions of dollars together in Mumbai real estate.

http://newsofap.com/newsofap-1236-23-harbhajan-dhoni-are-now-business-partners.html

There are too close imo.

I have to agree with GS here.

I do suspect this is the reason that we don't get to see MSD leaving a flat form player like Bhajji for newer talented n more committed ones (likes of Ojha, Ashwin etc) in team selection (even a crap like Piysuh will get chance ahead of more effective bowler such as Amit mishra)

This is truly inspirational. Hard work does pay off, and it pays off big in the right way, it just takes more time to get your breakthrough.

Great job by the youngster. He has not achieved much but its still truly inspiring. I wish him luck for future!

he has dismissed sachin twice. once maybe fluke, but twice? he has talent. just needs to do well in the domestic league as well. age is on his side. all the best to him!!!

he has dismissed sachin twice. once maybe fluke, but twice? he has talent. just needs to do well in the domestic league as well. age is on his side. all the best to him!!!

dude, Sachin has this thing of getting dismissed by newbies. Went to Wankhade to see Sachin Vs Warne and you know what happened. Didn't even know that any Amit Singh was playing leave knowing who he is.

dude, Sachin has this thing of getting dismissed by newbies. Went to Wankhade to see Sachin Vs Warne and you know what happened. Didn't even know that any Amit Singh was playing leave knowing who he is.

yeah ashok menaria, part timer dismissed him last time. sachin gets dismissed by 18 yr olds(george dockrell!!!) these days.

interesting that sachin played in warney's 1st test match and also his last ever professional game.

yeah ashok menaria, part timer dismissed him last time. sachin gets dismissed by 18 yr olds(george dockrell!!!) these days.

interesting that sachin played in warney's 1st test match and also his last ever professional game.

Until we don't see a Five-5 tournament 10 years from today where they return to play again :p

Sharma doesn't spin the ball enough, I fear International batsmen will work him out pretty quickly. I personally don't feel he's that good. But since he is working hard, the hardwork might pay off and he might get better. More power to him.

BUMP! Was watching a video on youtube about some off field incidents and I saw about when him and Wayne Parnell were partying in an IPL a few years ago. Does anyone know what happened to this guy? Hasn't played since 2014

Back