Ravichandran Ashwin a potential genuine Test all-rounder?

waqas.farooq

Debutant
Runs
R Ashwin a modern day right arm off break bowler who can’t bowl ‘dossra’ but can bat and bat better than more of the current test batsmen around. He has scored 740 runs @ avg of 41 and taken 97 wickets @ avg of 28 in Just 17 outings. In his recently completed 2nd test 100, technically, he looked quite decent. He was especially at home against spinners. His beginning suggests that we are going to witness a genuine all-rounder in test arena for a next decade after a long time. However, significant fact is that 14 out of 17 matches he has played at home. His performance outside India especially in S.A, Aus & Eng will determine his league. Only time will tell that he continues with his performance and join the league of genuine test all-rounders or fade away.

Am fairly sure he can maintain his batting avg or even better it . His technique is as good as more that half the top order batsmen in the world .
The big question is though his bowling . Luckily the current era has some of thr worst players of spin

His batting is under rated but in tours abroad like England he won't be able to do much

I'm going to get a lot of flak for this but he has what it takes to become India's greatest all rounder ever, over KD in tests.

His batting technique is solid and i can see him scoring runs all over the world. His bowling wont be nearly as effective abroad as it is at home but he'll manage a few wickets here and there.

His batting stats -

Aus - 20.33
Eng - 60.75
WI - 61.25
NZ - 69.

Hmm if he becomes then good! But i think Jadeja is the real contender for a genuine test all rounder!

Re: Ravichandran Ashwin a potential genuine test all-rounder?

His bowling is needed more than his batting though his batting is a welcome string in the bow. If he skips the moronic pausing and trying to bowl 6 different variations in an over, he will do fine. He got owned vs England because he was bowling as if he was bowling in IPL. Dunno how effective he will be in SAF but considering Harby averaged under 30 last time around with a 7-fer to boot, Ashwin has some expectations to match.

Don't want him to be one.

Just spin it, mate.

Just spin it, mate.
This.

If he skips the moronic pausing and trying to bowl 6 different variations in an over, he will do fine. He got owned vs England because he was bowling as if he was bowling in IPL.
And this.

He should first be able to string together some decent overs of spin. Thats his foremost role. Agreed, he has saved India from blushes many a times in his short career, still his primary job is to pick wickets and they won't be coming anytime soon unless he stops all those excuses of 'variations' in his bowling.

His batting looks very solid, i have some doubt that he can be an effective test spinner outside of home conditions.

On his only away tour he took 9 wickets but at a cost over 60 per wicket, this was bowling to an Australian team that is incredibly weak against spin.

The much maligned nathan lyon took his wickets 20 runs cheaper in that series and he was bowling to great players of spin, but in fairness it's early days for ashwin lets see how he bowls in the 4 upcoming away tours india have in the next year or so.

I don't have the same doubts about his batting away from home, he looked very solid in australia with the bat.

The much maligned nathan lyon took his wickets 20 runs cheaper in that series and he was bowling to great players of spin, but in fairness it's early days for ashwin lets see how he bowls in the 4 upcoming away tours india have in the next year or so.
To be fair to Ashwin though, Indian team were always playing catch up cricket all throughout that tour which was not the case with Lyon and hence his poor average for that series. Plus, Aus is always a daunting place to bowl for opposition spinners, moreso if its their first ever away series.

But yes, I've huge doubts over his effectiveness in unfavourable environs.

As for Lyon, don't know about others, but I rate him quite highly. The way he held his own on Aus last tour to India, was very heartening. Troubled almost every Indian bat in that series. Aus should not have dropped him for the 2nd test though. Would've blossomed even more.

My raw gut is that he is a better test batsman than a test bowler. Those Laxmansque shots are pure orgasmic. Hopefully he can turn the tide and be a better bowler. We already have a truck load of batsmen.

Nathan Lyon averaged 40 in that home series. Those tracks were utter roads, except that our batting kept folding up regardless hence resulting in a 0-4 result.

He was okay when he came to India on turning tracks but was inexplicably dropped mid-way for Doherty and Maxwell.

World's best number 8. He is the type of player that a lot of top sides have, that hang around and can add runs.

If you look at the Aussies of previous years, they had guys like gilly, warne and lee who can all add runs and never left the opposition feeling easy until you had all 11 dismissed. England have Prior, Broad and use to have Bresnan extended the batting line up (Swann too). To me, Ashwin has been a big reason why India have been on such a charge in tests. Just when you have them, he hangs around long enough to support Dhoni or whoever and that changes the momentum.

Just spin it, mate.
actually he is trying too much variation now a days he needs to stick to basic and use variations in between.I think he should be encouraged as all-rounder. Batting comes natural to him. His batting will b a mega bonus for india and will also give him confidence in bowling.

My raw gut is that he is a better test batsman than a test bowler. Those Laxmansque shots are pure orgasmic. Hopefully he can turn the tide and be a better bowler. We already have a truck load of batsmen.
97 wickets in 17 matches. Actually he is trying too much variation now a days he needs to stick to basic and use variations in between. he look better batsman coz he is so natural when batting. he got vv good timing and foot work against spinners >>>> than Aussies test batsmen a part from Clarke

Here's my personal assessment:

1. Ashwin is one of India's better test batsman. That's for sure. But he has technical issues early in his innings. And his sweep (as well as reverse sweep) is very unconvincing. Good batsman who can make it count if he survives the first 15-30 balls.

2. Ashwin the test bowler is COMPLETELY different from Ashwin the ODI bowler. He messed up during the Eng series and tried variations but otherwise he is fine.

3. Ashwin will do fine in SA (my assessment) assuming he sticks to the basics.

4. I would love to see Ashwin Vs Steyn special. Obviously Steyn is bound to win it but I want to see what sort of fight Ashwin puts up before he is dismissed.

Agree, he is a good bat - although suspect against the short ball.

Rubbish bowler though, sorry. Harby>>>This guy and Kapil Dev? Don't make me rofl. :najam

On away tracks, worth considering as a number 6 IMO.

No harm in having someone like him in the Team at number 8 , adds real depth to the team.

I dont rate his bowling TBH. Only team of worth he has played is England, was not impressive either.
Bullied Australia a team full of rookies in spinning tracks, could not do that in unhelpful conditions.

The tour to SA will tell us more.

I am not surprised with his batting considering that he played as a batsman and occasional spinner till he got into serious divisional cricket in Tamil Nadu. He was an opener for his high school side and played as batsman on his engineering college team.
His test bowling has been seriously affected by ODI/T20 bowling. To me one aspect of test cricket that has not changed a lot over the years is spin bowling. You have to buy your wickets through patience. Classic bowlers bowl their stock delivery 95% of the time and bowl their variation (flipper, googly, arm ball, doosra etc) rarely. In Ashwin the split is almost 50-50 which does not bode well for a test spin bowler.

I am not surprised with his batting considering that he played as a batsman and occasional spinner till he got into serious divisional cricket in Tamil Nadu. He was an opener for his high school side and played as batsman on his engineering college team.
His test bowling has been seriously affected by ODI/T20 bowling. To me one aspect of test cricket that has not changed a lot over the years is spin bowling. You have to buy your wickets through patience. Classic bowlers bowl their stock delivery 95% of the time and bowl their variation (flipper, googly, arm ball, doosra etc) rarely. In Ashwin the split is almost 50-50 which does not bode well for a test spin bowler.

Did you even watch the test series against Aussies?

95% was the stock delivery.

Don't get confused with the nonsense he did against the English and what he does in ODI's.

Yes I saw the series and he has improved significantly since the awful England series. My thoughts on his bowling is concerned with this discussion of him being a all rounder going forward. I hope he continues bowling classic off spin like he did in against the Aussies and the first test against WI.

to be a genuine all rounder you have to do your first trade(bowling) very well and be competent in the second (batting) and hope he keeps dong that.

Just another harbajhan singh. A mediocre spinner who can bat.

A better batsman than most Pakistani bats, and a very good spinner as well. This guy will be a legend.

What a player! India would have almost certainly lost if not for his 70..

when he fails with the ball, he almost certainly makes up with bat

Even after this innings if people do not consider him as an all rounder I do not know what will make them do so.

I have been telling this for last two years , that he is a genuine all rounder.

That's why for me he bring more to the table as a cricketer than Yasir Shah.

Yasir Shah is playing only test , he has enough time to work on his batting , even Players like Rahat Ali . But unfortunately they do not care .

He is a surely a genuine all rounder. Indians didn't lose this test due to his batting.

He seems to be a nerd of the game

I was going through his Twitter account last month or so and the guy literally watches ANY cricket match that is on

Very useful player and can be a genuine #6 batsman and frontline spinner for India.

TBH, he looks the most comfortable of all Indian batsmen on the pitch. Has developed a very good footwork and will surpass Kapil as India's greatest test all-rounder.

He is a very wise cricketer and he uses his brain while batting as well as bowling. He is definitely the most improved cricketer in the world today. The way he played moeen ali yesterday was indicative of his shrewdness. I would definitely have him as the vice captain in Test matches in place of Rahane who isn't the wisest.

Whatever the pitch,he makes it look easy.Then gets out playing a stupid shot

However when we need him,he focuses more and contributes.VVS Laxman like

I think he is already better than the 6th batsman (read Rohit Sharma) we have been playing

He has been overperforming but I still believe that he has the potential to have a career average of high 20s.

I don't have faith in his batting no matter how many runs he scores. For me, he will always be a bowler who can bat a bit. Any runs he scores counts as bonus for me, and he should absolutely not be batting any higher than #8 in the long run.

I don't have faith in his batting no matter how many runs he scores. For me, he will always be a bowler who can bat a bit. Any runs he scores counts as bonus for me, and he should absolutely not be batting any higher than #8 in the long run.

Any reason for that opinion?

Well, tomorrow is his test.

Needs to get us upto 450 and beyond.

Back