RBS Twenty/20 Cup | Day 3 Matches Thread | 02/Mar/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShehryarK

ODI Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
The schedule is as follows for Day 3 (Tuesday):

Group D - Lahore Eagles v Hyderabad Hawks (0800 GMT)

Group B - Karachi Zebras v Rawalpindi Rams (1200 GMT)

Group A - Lahore Lions v Peshawar Panthers (1600 GMT)

Last edited:
Squads for the six teams taking part in the matches on Day 3 are as follows (as posted on the PCB official website; Cricinfo seems to have similar squads too):

Lahore Eagles
1. Imran Farhat
2. Humayun Farhat (Captain)
3. Aamer Sajjad
4. Abid Ali
5. Ali Azmat
6. Arsalan Mir
7. Asif Raza
8. Fahad Masood
9. Jahangir Mirza
10. Jamshed Ahmed
11. Kamran Sajid
12. Khaqan Arsal
13. Mohammad Irshad
14. Mohammad Khalil
15. Mohammad Naved
16. Mohammad Zohaib
17. Saad Nasim
18. Shahnawaz Malik
19. Taufeeq Umar
20. Wasim Khan

Hyderabad Hawks
1. Shahid Qambrani (Captain)
2. Mir Ali (V. Captain)
3. Zeeshan Gul (W-K)
4. Ghulam Shabbir
5. Mohammad Awais
6. Lal Kumar
7. Adnan Brohi
8. Sharjeel Khan
9. Rizwan Ahmed
10. Ghulam Yasin
11. Zahid Mahmood
12. Kashif Bhatti
13. Azeem Ghumman
14. Mohammad Urs
15. Ayaz Ali
16. Mashooq Bhutto
17. Aqeel Anjum
18. Rehan Nizamuddin
19. Ayaz Jamal
20. Nasrullah Memon

Karachi Zebras
1. Danish Kaneria (Captain)
2. Adnan Malik
3. Akbar-ur-Rehman
4. Ali Asad
5. Anwar Ali
6. Asad Shafiq
7. Babar Rehman
8. Daniyal Ahsan
9. Faisal Iqbal
10. Farhan Iqbal
11. Haaris Ayaz
12. Hasan Raza
13. Javed Mansoor
14. Khurram Manzoor
15. Misbah Khan
16. Mohammad Waqas
17. Naumanullah
18. Shan Masood
19. Tabish Khan
20. Uzair-ul-Haq

Rawalpindi Rams
1. Babar Naeem
2. Naved Malik
3. Hammad Azam
4. Usman Saeed
5. Naved Ashraf (Captain)
6. Zahid Mansoor
7. Adnan Mufti
8. Umar Amin
9. Jamal Anwar
10. Yasim Murtaza
11. Asif Mumtaz
12. Mohammad Rameez
13. Sohail Tanvir
14. Mohammad Aamer
15. Yasir Arafat
16. Sadaf Hussain
17. Fawad Hussain
18. Rizwan Akbar
19. Mohammad Ayaz
20. Muzammil Nizam

Lahore Lions
1. Kamran Akmal
2. Salman Butt (Captain)
3. Aamer Hayat
4. Adnan Raza
5. Aizaz Cheema
6. Azhar Ali
7. Emmad Ali
8. Hamza Haroon
9. Hamza Mubeen
10. Imran Ali
11. Kashif Siddiq
12. Nasir Jamshed
13. Shoaib Akram
14. Sohail Ahmed
15. Sulaman Qadir
16. Tanzeel Altaf
17. Umar Akmal
18. Usman Malik
19. Wahab Riaz
20. Waqas Ahmed

Peshawar Panthers
1. Riaz Afridi (Captain)
2. Umar Gul
3. Jannisar Khan
4. Zohaib Khan
5. Aftab Alam
6. Shakeel-ur-Rehman
7. Zulfiqar Jan
8. Fawad Ali
9. Adil Amin
10. Sajjad Ahmed
11. Hamad-ul-Hasan
12. Israrullah
13. Azam Jan
14. M. Idrees Khan
15. Imran Khan
16. Mohammad Asif
17. Azam Khan
18. Kashif Hayat
19. Jamaluddin
20. Mahfooz Sabri

Last edited:
^ Well, I'm really excited at the prospect of seeing Imran Farhat bat again.

That style, that panache, that elegance...!

:)

On a more serious note... the first match should be a fairly close affair, though Lahore Eagles might edge it. Both these teams though will probably not make it through to the next round as Karachi Dolphins is by far the stronger team in Group D.

Similarly, not sure who will win the Zebras v Rams contest - I guess Karachi Zebras are stronger on paper and came very close against Sialkot the other day so they're probably favourites. However, I expect Sialkot to qualify from that group given they've won the crucial clash already (Group B).

The third game should be a win for Lahore Lions - Peshawar have already lost once. This is the hardest group to predict - one of Lahore Lions and Multan Tigers should go through (Group A).

ShehryarK said:
^ Well, I'm really excited at the prospect of seeing Imran Farhat bat again.

That style, that panache, that elegance...!

:)

On a more serious note... the first match should be a fairly close affair, though Lahore Eagles might edge it. Both these teams though will probably not make it through to the next round as Karachi Dolphins is by far the stronger team in Group D.

Similarly, not sure who will win the Zebras v Rams contest - I guess Karachi Zebras are stronger on paper and came very close against Sialkot the other day so they're probably favourites. However, I expect Sialkot to qualify from that group given they've won the crucial clash already (Group B).

The third game should be a win for Lahore Lions - Peshawar have already lost once. This is the hardest group to predict - one of Lahore Lions and Multan Tigers should go through (Group A).
Hope when the dolphins play, we have some extra balls available:))

when is S.akhtar team match....to me i think once again it will be Stallions vs L.Lions?
afridi team also looks weak in their bowling department. No sohail Khan, No anwer ali....only sami n afridi and tanvir ahmed

1) Lahore Loins seems to be >>> than Karachi Dolphis (marginally)

2) Karachi Zebras seems to b >>> than Lahore Eagles

It would be great to see matches between Karachi Zebras Vs Lahore Eagles (if they make to next rounds)

Rawalpindi Rams is gonna be exciting to watch

Hammad Azam
Mohammad Aamer
Raza hassan

'lal kumar jin ki shazaib hasan ne kal bari pitai ki' will continue (lol at commentary)

Well it seemed Khaqan Arsal didnt edge that ball at all

So a very poor decision there

hasanb said:

Yes it was a b bad decision but was an awsome delivery from azeem

Rawalpindi has a very good bowling line up, that's international quality,:
Sohail tanveer, Mohhamed Ameer, Yasir Arafat, Mohammad Rameez, and the spinner, raza Hasan... Plus the hayve an all rounder in hammad azam.

hasanb said:

It looked about 5cm away from the bat...

Okay, Cricinfo's finally woken up and has started covering today's game (they started an hour late it seems!).

Lahore Eagles 159/7 (20ov; RPO: 8.0)

Humayun Farhat† - 20 (8 balls)
Imran Farhat - 27 (22 balls)
Aamer Sajjad - 32 (29b)
Jahangir Mirza - 38* (24b)

Azeem Ghumman the best bowler for Hyderabad: 4 overs, 22 runs, 2 wickets (5.50 RPO)

Nah, not really into that (just my personal preference) :)

I can't believe I missed Humayun Farhat's batting :(

It's such a shame how slow Irshad is nowadays, after he was touted as being the next express bowler to come from Pakistan after Sami.

Surprising to see Ghumman part of the wickets. Didn't bowl in the U19 WC. What does he bowl?

Good attacking field set by Humayun. 2 slips in place

And Irshad gets Ghumman caught at mid on. Ghumman went for a lofted straight drive, a pretty good shot it seemed, but he got the height and not the distance he was after. Big wicket for the Eagles.

Raz said:
It's such a shame how slow Irshad is nowadays, after he was touted as being the next express bowler to come from Pakistan after Sami.
Yes, there were literally years of hype surrounding this guy.

Sadly, that's the case for most Pakistani players - they are hyped by the fans and the media as if they are the second coming of Christ himself. In most cases, those fans haven't even seen the player properly - just read a few lines, as a result they become the player's "number 1, bestest-ever fan"!

Once the said player actually gets to play for Pak, he's found to have feet of clay, or maybe he's just an average performer. Instead of being patient and letting the guy develop, the fans go berserk at being let down, and start abusing him, asking for him to be axed immediately and replaced with the 'next best thing', the 'solution to all our problems' etc.

And so the cycle continues...!

4-1 after the first over chasing 160 to win

genghis81 said:
Surprising to see Ghumman part of the wickets. Didn't bowl in the U19 WC. What does he bowl?
I think offies - is not good enough to be an all-rounder yet, but definitely useful in shorter forms.

genghis81 said:

Spin of some sort, maybe leg spin, although I didn't see him bowl, missed most of the first innings.

Swung away with the left arm over angle over mid wicket for a boundary, good shot.

Follows it up with a late cut, past the lone slip now and wide of 3rd man for another 4.

ShehryarK said:
I think offies - is not good enough to be an all-rounder yet, but definitely useful in shorter forms.
From the bit I have seen of him I think he is still lacking a bit with his batting too, but I guess he has age on his side.

Was impressed with his captaincy and fielding.

Anyways whats the latest score?

And Irshad gets his 2nd wicket. Length ball to the left hander, he goes for a pull towards mid on, but gets an edge and Humayun takes a fine catch low down and in front of him. Batsman wasn't convinced that he'd edged it, but the umpire eventually gave him out.

Nicely worked away off his pads past square leg for a 4

Irshad making a comeback probably deserves some hype if he is bowling quickly again and doing well in First Class cricket.

Unfortunately a lot of these reasonably promising fast bowlers were hyped by the Shoaib-haters as they sought to offer an alternative.

The fact as it has been proven by failures of likes of Irshad, Sohail Khan and Umar Gul is that there is no alternative. Akhtar was simply a world class once in a generation bowler who was misused by Pakistan cricket board.

Last edited:
Ali888 said:
Irshad making a comeback probably deserves some hype if he is bowling quickly again and doing well in First Class cricket.
True, but only if he's addressed the fitness/weight issues he seemed to have the last time around. Has he?

Raz said:
looks like talha is becoming the same

Ali888 said:

He is not bowling fast at all, he's bowling in the low 80s I'd say.

Lofted over the top between mid wicket and mid on for a boundary. Nice timing and safe shot.

WOWWW!! What a catch from Humayun!! Batsman had edged it and looked as if it would go for a certain boundary, but Humayun stretched his right hand out, dived full length and caught it with his right hand.

genghis81 said:
From the bit I have seen of him I think he is still lacking a bit with his batting too, but I guess he has age on his side.

Was impressed with his captaincy and fielding.
Agreed, exactly my sentiments about Azeem. He's just 19, very intelligent, and seems to be committed and hard-working - no reason why he cannot develop and improve his batting.

Raz said:
WOWWW!! What a catch from Humayun!! Batsman had edged it and looked as if it would go for a certain boundary, but Humayun stretched his right hand out, dived full length and caught it with his right hand.
Is he still an outside chance for the T20 World Cup? I wonder.

By the looks of it Kamran may be out of favour at the moment and with Sarfraz not setting the international stage alight with his batting, Hamayun may get that spot.

genghis81 said:
Sarfraz not setting the international stage alight with his batting
Sarfraz's keeping in the two T20s vs England was pretty ordinary too - and that's meant to be his main strength!
genghis81 said:
Is he still an outside chance for the T20 World Cup? I wonder.
Does Mr. Ilyas have another daughter?

ShehryarK said:
Does Mr. Ilyas have another daughter?
Haha. But I am pretty sure Hamayun is already married.

I think Kamran is clearly the best of the lot. Which is a worry!

genghis81 said:
Has Azeem batted? And if so, how did he go?

He got out cheaply but i didnt see the mode of dismissal due to damn load shedding here in lahore

He bowled fairly well though

hasanb said:
Hyderabad falling in a heap now 98-6
Well I guess their lineup looks like a lot of unknown players, so it was somewhat expected.

Another Hyderabadi batsman bites the dust after going for the big shot 98-7

Another attempted big shot results in another cheap wicket for Imran Farhat...99-8

There have been a lot of one sided encounters in this tournament thus far...I think we could all use a real nail biter later on today perhaps

Imran Farhat takes his 5th wicket as Hyderabad crash out of the tournament

113 all out

Hyderabad have been pretty average - two comprehensive defeats for them.

Sets up the Lahore Eagles v Karachi Dolphins match on 5th March as a winner takes all, 'top of the table' clash in Group D.

rawalpindi rams - naved ashraf, sohail tanvir, yasir arafat, hammad azam, umar amin, mohammad aamir,naved malik some interesting players to watch

karachi zebras - anwar ali, danish kaneria, adnan malik, ali asad, asad shafiq, hasan raza, farhan iqbal, khurram manzoor

this is two notable teams clashing. should be interesting how anwar ali does against these future middle order prospects as well as how they respond to a good bowling lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back