Recommend me a laptop

z10

ODI Debutant
Runs
I have a budget of around 700-800 pounds and open to all suggestions :D

i have been told that Dell laptops are the most durable/ best performing

any truth in this?

I got an ACER laptop for about £750 from the Comet website about 12 months ago, I couldent be happeir to be honest, it has been running great.

z10:

1 x DEll (Model:N02631) £517 delivered
Intel® Pentium® M 1.70GHz
512MB 60GB 14.1 inch WXGA (1280x800)
DVD+/-RW
Internal 56K v.92 Capable Fax Modem
Intel® ProWireless 2200 802.11b/g Mini PCI Wireless LAN Card

thanks Oxymian

also, AMD Athlon 64 or Intel Pentium M?

i imagine the Pentium to be better, but is there a noticable difference?

z10 said:

any truth in this?
Dell is good... I have a Compaq and a Dell... I like the feel of the Compaq better... but thats just me most people prefer Dell

sneekysneeky said:
Dell is good... I have a Compaq and a Dell... I like the feel of the Compaq better... but thats just me most people prefer Dell

Stay away from Compaq !

im using dell and i recommend that.
waisay, also depends on wt will u run on the laptop.

sneekysneeky said:
yea most people say that... but I havent encountered any problems with it in the 10 months that Ive used Compaq

Lucky you......I had lots of problems with my old compaq laptop, the harddrive fried, half my screen had lines on it......I remember after using it for 4.5 yrs, I threw it down my balcony :p .....Now I have a toshiba and no problems (it's been 10 months)...

Ive been using a Dell laptop for over 5 years now. Did upgrade the previous one about 2 years ago and up untill now Ive had 0 poblems with the Laptop. I would recommend a Dell on the basis that it has worked fine for me, although I havnt used any other make so cannot really compare with any other Laptop.

zushy_786 said:
Lucky you......I had lots of problems with my old compaq laptop, the harddrive fried, half my screen had lines on it......I remember after using it for 4.5 yrs, I threw it down my balcony :p .....Now I have a toshiba and no problems (it's been 10 months)...
i had a refurbished toshiba that worked fine for 3 years then one day it just crashed... never to wake up again

I agree with Dell recommendation - think they have the best aftersales

sneekysneeky said:
i had a refurbished toshiba that worked fine for 3 years then one day it just crashed... never to wake up again

You bought a refurbished laptop though......

dell laptop screens are very bad, low quality! they stop working. my dell laptop's screen did not even last a whole year!

z10 said:

any truth in this?
i bought a dell inspiron 6000........absolutly spot on! i have always had dell or adverts.....but dells are the best.......my brothers always had toshiba he prefers them.......but the audio/sound quality of dell is better then toshibas :D ill recomend the same one ......dell inspiron 6000!

z10 said:
thanks Oxymian

also, AMD Athlon 64 or Intel Pentium M?

i imagine the Pentium to be better, but is there a noticable difference?

depends on what is the main use of your machine

if you are a hard-core pc gamer , then u shud buy AMD 64. Otherwise, just stick to the reliability of Intel.

AMd 64 is a lil faster than intel M but it get heated very easily and when it gets heated it slows down. And becomes slower than intel M. So overall Intel M is better.

as for the brand, if u want durability IBM has no competition. they make the most durable laptops, in my opinion. Sony Vaio is pretty good , specially the newer models. Averatec is also recommended

I've been using Sony Vaio GRZ series for over 2 years now and it's great..no problems whatsoever apart from few heating issues which I think Sony has fixed in it's latest models.

ACER are good, well I have had no probs so far, had my laptop for about 14 months and its been great, ni probs at all and runs like a beaut.

thanks for the suggestions everyone

will look into all of them

Dell for sure. They are the most competitive price wise.

Toshiba have great laptops but they're expensive.

Laptop Purchase Help

Any of you computer experts out there? I am looking for a laptop that can provide with me with good gaming (doesn't have to be 'gaming' laptop). Meaning that it has a good graphics card and play games like Warcraft and Civilization IV at a good lever. I also need it to be something that runs every efficiently, like without lag or anything. Sometimes when you have a lot of programs running then it gets slow, so I don't want it to do that. It should be lightweight and have a good battery life.

I am not willing to spend over $1800, and anything less would be perfect. Just because I say 1800 doesn't mean it can't be a good efficient $700 notebook. It should have an option to finance without interest for x months.

Thanks in advance.

P.S: How are Macs?

Last edited:
get a hp dv9000.

it has 2 gigs of ram, has a dual core centrino processor and has a built in g force 3d card.

HP eh? Is that company reliable? I mean I've heard good things about HP, but also have heard of a lot of bad things. Any how, I'll take a look at it.

Thanks man.

Any other help?

Just took a look at it.

Not bad for 1300 bucks. But again, I don't trust HP.

How about Apple?

I also need this for business purposes so I would need something with absolutely no lag and buffer and one that runs without interruptions.

Last edited:
Just purchased a HP dv2125nr. i havent played warcraft, but i can tell that the graphics are brilliant. fast processor and good memory so i would recommend this one, besides its a little less heavy on the wallet. this one set me back about 1G.

moreover, with most laptops, you can increase the amount of memory dedicated for graphics from the BIOS.

for games like warcraft and civilization, i.e. few of the decent surviving PC Games, i would not recommend dropping a lot of money for a PC with stuff you dont really need, like a bloody tv tuner for the Media Center Edition.

and yeah, since this is my third HP laptop and my sixth HP purchase in as many years, i would say that they are quite reliable. though not as good as Toshiba, their customer care service is one of the very best that is.

PepsiCola said:
Any of you computer experts out there? I am looking for a laptop that can provide with me with good gaming (doesn't have to be 'gaming' laptop). Meaning that it has a good graphics card and play games like Warcraft and Civilization IV at a good lever. I also need it to be something that runs every efficiently, like without lag or anything. Sometimes when you have a lot of programs running then it gets slow, so I don't want it to do that. It should be lightweight and have a good battery life.

I am not willing to spend over $1800, and anything less would be perfect. Just because I say 1800 doesn't mean it can't be a good efficient $700 notebook. It should have an option to finance without interest for x months.

Thanks in advance.

P.S: How are Macs?

The Dell XPS laptops are meant to be excellent for gaming and high performance:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/xpsnb?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

XPS however usually come up quite expensive.

I am looking at an Alienwares and I really want to get one. The Area 51 notebooks are pretty reasonable. Does anyone have experience with Alienware? And what do you guys tink?

As for now, I really like the HP laptop but I really want an alienware!

HP used to be bad not sure about now. They are merged with Compaq and Compaq line is probably better than HP.

see the outlet stores of both HP/Compaq and Dell companies.

Just get a laptop already man and get it done with. At the end of the day let it be clear that its a laptop and not a wife, which u can potentially exchange/replace in 3 years time. Now only if we could upgrade the wife model 1.0 in the same fashion. But if that were the case then whats to look forward to in paradise.

Yes but I am looking for something special, like Alienware, not an everyday laptop that everyone else has.

its a shame your budget is less than $3300 coz I could have got you one which would have been as around $1000 cheaper than you can get from dell.com

Big Daddy said:
Just get a laptop already man and get it done with. At the end of the day let it be clear that its a laptop and not a wife, which u can potentially exchange/replace in 3 years time. Now only if we could upgrade the wife model 1.0 in the same fashion. But if that were the case then whats to look forward to in paradise.
i did... well upgraded gf. and here is the formula.

shower her with praise and adulation so she is hooked on you for a fix of ego. then wean her off and maybe pick a fight or two. then watch her admire you even further. voila! upgrade. and now before the feminists stone me to death, i must retreat to my cave.

im also looking for a laptop which is under £500, does anyone know any good ones

Need help buying a laptop.

Guys I need to buy a laptop for personal use with small budget available. I would prefere to buy now pay later option from argos or currys but don't know what to buy. I am a computer jahil so need PP expert opinion on what brand to go for and what kind of things to look at.
I am will to spend £300/400.
Thank you.

Com,n you computer gurus out there this is urgent and any suggestions would be much appreciated.

when you say personal use? you mean surfing, email and office etc. , may be watching movies?
I am in USA so I can't help with the purchase options you have in UK but I would go for Dell or Lenovo for a cheap and good reliable laptop.
Try to avoid buy now and pay later option as it won't be cheap with added interest payments. Save some money and then but it.
Also are you considering netbook as well? it will be cheap as compare to full fledge laptop.

Brand matters very little. I don't know what a good laptop at that price in the UK would be but for similar price in Canada you'd get an AMD Athlon Dual core, 2-4GB RAM, and 160-320GB hard drive. That'd be a very good laptop for that price.

Dell Inspiron is awesome :D
Has a built in webcam and quite high processor.
Good deal of storage space and it's shiny :D

Laptop Recommendations

Asalamalakium Warakamatulilahi Wabarakatuhu/Hi Guys,

We (me and my brother) we are looking to buy a laptop. We are really not into these computer things whereas we need a laptop for normal use.

We already have a Macbook so now we are looking for a Windows laptop.

Budget is around $1000 CAD

Thanks

I am planning to buy one too. I have heard that Toshiba laptops are best.

srh said:
I am planning to buy one too. I have heard that Toshiba laptops are best.
I had Toshiba and honestly it was garbage! It was really slow!! I am certainly not interested in Toshiba anymore.

I have been using laptops since 98-99 and through out these years I have used only IBM thinkpads. Used sony Vaio for a week but it felt like a toy.

I haven't seen many ppl liking thinkpads due to its weight but they are my fav.

Started with T40, T43, T60p and currently using W500.

Cover Drive said:

We (me and my brother) we are looking to buy a laptop. We are really not

I would go with a DELL, I used compaq/HP before both had screen problems after 1 year of use....

I had a DELL Inspiron which works good after almost 2 years..... u need to watch for Dell sales.... u can get a 15" in about $500 or customize it according to your needs/preferences

Garuda said:
I have been using laptops since 98-99 and through out these years I have used only IBM thinkpads. Used sony Vaio for a week but it felt like a toy.

I haven't seen many ppl liking thinkpads due to its weight but they are my fav.

Started with T40, T43, T60p and currently using W500.
Uhmm I don't like the design of Thinkpad although I know they are the best in the market

Striver said:
I would go with a DELL, I used compaq/HP before both had screen problems after 1 year of use....

I had a DELL Inspiron which works good after almost 2 years..... u need to watch for Dell sales.... u can get a 15" in about $500 or customize it according to your needs/preferences
Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it!

To be honest mate I recently sold Dell Studio XPS and that laptop was quite amazing. Last year I had Dell XPS and those were good too but due to an incident I had to sell it. So not really looking for dell

Dell- if you really want a good deal.

Lenevo/IBM- if you really want it to last long/don't care about design.

Toony™® said:
alienware or asus

Alienware - no, they're seriously overpriced last I checked. And there are better gaming/performance machines out there.

Asus - yes, though make sure you do at least a little research on the model you want (guess that goes for any laptop purchase).

Cover Drive said:

For normal use you should probably look for a cheaper laptop. That laptop is great but really expensive for an average user - unless you use heavy graphic programs or play games or something. I would say its better to get a laptop near half price because you can get another one again in a couple of years if it gets slow. Instead of getting 1 $1400 laptop get 2 $700 over span of 5 years - you will like it much more!

Try these ones:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/cate...spx?path=4cfc3d687f062b478034950ac3aad2daen01

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/cate...spx?path=9928adb7659d5284f6a82c17166f21a4en01

Last edited:
Cover Drive said:

We (me and my brother) we are looking to buy a laptop. We are really not into these computer things whereas we need a laptop for normal use.

We already have a Macbook so now we are looking for a Windows laptop.

Budget is around $1000 CAD

Thanks

If you're looking for a normal use laptop, you can get a high end laptop - actually you can get two of them for the price of the one you've mentioned. No doubt it is very good, but it is far too advanced and expensive. It is heavy on graphics and video memory, which you won't need, not even for movies.

I would still recommend HP. I bought my HP last summer and am very very pleased. Dell on the other hand has disappointed me. It simply doesn't have the variety in aesthetics, and is not as good a quality build as HP. Sony is over priced and a rip off. Toshiba is not bad either, whilst IBM Thinkpad is a very good choice.

My recommendation would be:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=027d945088830c56a90c7424793cdceden02

It is basically a one step lower version of the one you posted. It has one lower processor, doesn't have dedicated graphic memory and has 500GB hard drive as opposed to 600GB. These things will not be noticeable to someone who wants to use a simple laptop for normal use, and it will save your cost.

So it's your decision, how important is money to you? If you want to save you should go for the above option, but if money isn't much of a problem, then go for what makes you most excited :p

The make matters very little when it comes to computers. Any of the top manufacturers - HP, Dell, Toshiba, Acer, Sony, etc - should suffice. Only difference they might have is customer service (which doesn't differ a whole lot from one to the other anyway). What really matters is what's inside and what you're paying for the product. Some manufacturers overprice their products, such as Sony, and others such as Acer are cheaper but still same quality product. That's the only difference between the top manufacturers.

If you want a laptop for normal use, you really don't need the core i7, or 600GB hard drive, or dedicated graphics. That's a waste of money. A core 2 duo or core i3 should suffice. Integrated graphics will do the job. However some of us are computer enthusiasts so I can see why someone would want that machine. And that machine won't be becoming outdated any time soon so that works in favour as well. Though I would still say that a lot of money is wasted on the graphics if you wont utilize them. So decide your priorities and buy accordingly.

Last edited:
I saw a laptop in staples i like, its small stylish, wonderful shiny screen, with a excellent spec of a processor, ram, hard disk, and extras like bluetooth, webcam, sdcard slots etc... what do you all think... i dont like screens larger then 14inch. I want those real shiny ones, led.

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Samsung_Q210_NP-Q210-FSS0UK/version.asp

I been running i IBM thinkpad T23 P3 1.1ghz, 512 ram, 80gb hard drive, for 6 years now, works like a charm, doesnt crash, quite fast, ... dont even really need to upgrade, but i feel like im left behind lol.

rhussain33 said:
I saw a laptop in staples i like, its small stylish, wonderful shiny screen, with a excellent spec of a processor, ram, hard disk, and extras like bluetooth, webcam, sdcard slots etc... what do you all think... i dont like screens larger then 14inch. I want those real shiny ones, led.

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Samsung_Q210_NP-Q210-FSS0UK/version.asp

I been running i IBM thinkpad T23 P3 1.1ghz, 512 ram, 80gb hard drive, for 6 years now, works like a charm, doesnt crash, quite fast, ... dont even really need to upgrade, but i feel like im left behind lol.
Samsungs are real nice.

Laptop Advice

So, looking for a new laptop to buy, my budget is around about $800 (495 Pounds).

Looking for a laptop with:
Longer then average battery life, doesn't decrease much over time.
Should be able to play games on occasionally.
New processor's (i3, i5 etc)
Not HP

:26:

6352.thumb_150w.jpg

I miss the Bob :(

Back