Report: Pakistan Cricket Board May Boycott Asia Cup Over Likely Venue Shift To Sri Lanka

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
In a huge setback to Pakistan, the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) on Monday decided to move the Asia Cup out of the country after PCB's proposal to host the tournament on a 'hybrid model' was rejected by the member nations. Sri Lanka has emerged as a front runner to host the six-nation tournament as extremely humid conditions in the UAE in the month of September could lead to injuries to players. It will be interesting to see if Pakistan, after this snub, competes in the tournament, scheduled to be held from September 2-17.

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) was forced to propose an alternative after BCCI refused to send the Indian team to the neighbouring nation due to diplomatic tension between the two countries.

The PCB is hopeful that there will be another round of discussions on Tuesday in case there is a change of heart.

PCB had proposed that India play their games in the UAE while Pakistan host their matches on home soil.

"Najam Sethi (PCB chairman) was in Dubai today to procure support but to his horror there were no takers for his proposal of Pakistan playing its games in Karachi or Lahore and India playing in UAE. Sri Lanka was always with BCCI and now even Bangladesh Cricket Board seemed opposed to the idea," an ACC source told PTI.

"ACC has always maintained that in principle the 'hybrid model' is unacceptable and the budgetary sanctions can never be passed." "Also it's not about Pakistan hosting its own matches. It also means that if India and Pakistan are in same group, the third team will be travelling to and fro between Dubai and a city in Pakistan," the source added.

What added fuel to the fire is PCB's recent decision to host Pakistan Super League's matches in UAE due to escalated costs of security arrangements.

"Also logistically, the broadcasters wouldn't want to send separate units in two countries. Sri Lanka, just like UAE doesn't require inter-city flights whether you play at the Khettarama (Premadasa Stadium), SSC or Galle or Kandy," he added.

However, the ACC chairman Jay Shah will need to convene an Executive Body meeting to make the decision official.

In the prevailing situation, whether Pakistan participates in the event or decides against coming to India for the World Cup remains to be seen.

"Even ICC won't agree to Pakistan playing its matches outside India (during World Cup). So let's see what PCB decides," the source added.

NDTV

Look before you leap I hope Sethi aka Chirri Baba gets some thing respectable out of this because this ain't a masala political show its serious business:tuq

The article is inaccurate.

There has been no decision to move the PSL to UAE. I'm not sure why many Indian outlets have jumped on this point.

There has to be give and take. The PCB needs to now negotiate a higher share of revenue, profits and that the excess costs of hosting in the neutral venue has to be borne by all the other ACC members since the PCB wanted to host the tournament in Pakistan whereas everyone else wanted to host outside Pakistan. Why should the PCB be forced to bear the excess costs of the tournament when it was not their decision to shift the tournament outside Pakistan?

Sad for the PCB but this was bound to happen. Sethi should have handled this smartly, proposing a hybrid model and then saying the same can be applied to the WC as well was plain stupid.

If Pak boycott both the Asia Cup and the World Cup, then they are effectively looking at a very lean period for the next 9 months. May be players can spend time with family and friends.

There has to be give and take. The PCB needs to now negotiate a higher share of revenue, profits and that the excess costs of hosting in the neutral venue has to be borne by all the other ACC members since the PCB wanted to host the tournament in Pakistan whereas everyone else wanted to host outside Pakistan. Why should the PCB be forced to bear the excess costs of the tournament when it was not their decision to shift the tournament outside Pakistan?

So when are we playing the “in solidarity with Pakistan cup” during the Asia (without Pakistan) cup?

Sad for the PCB but this was bound to happen. Sethi should have handled this smartly, proposing a hybrid model and then saying the same can be applied to the WC as well was plain stupid.

If Pak boycott both the Asia Cup and the World Cup, then they are effectively looking at a very lean period for the next 9 months. May be players can spend time with family and friends.

For Indians 'handling it smartly' means Pakistan should have just done what India said.

Great.

Now lets go back to "we will boycott the World Cup" before suddenly realizing near to the event, that 100 million cut we would get is too good to pass up.

Then backtrack again and show up in the World Cup with a smug look.

Great.

Now lets go back to "we will boycott the World Cup" before suddenly realizing near to the event, that 100 million cut we would get is too good to pass up.

So what will you do in 2025 - when we WILL lose $100m after our neighbors refuse to visit Pakistan again?

Great.

Pakistan can't afford to miss out on the World cup. Should look to salvage whatever they can from the Asia Cup.

So what will you do in 2025 - when we WILL lose $100m after our neighbors refuse to visit Pakistan again?

There is 2 years to plan for that.

If Pakistan cant think of a plan from 2023 to 2025 to keep the CT In Pakistan sans India, they dont deserve to host it.

The part where we say we wont play WC and do a sudden u turn on the eve of the event?

Yeah.

I totally see that happening and Pakistan panicking.

Pakistan will play the WC in good faith as its an ICC event.

I personally wish they boycott but its likely they will play and seek assurances from ICC about CT2025.

Moving the asia cup from Pakistan to a neutral venue would severely weaken the case for 2025 as India is guaranteed to boycott in 2025. Accepting a move now would 100% mean accepting a move then.

This is the only way ahead now. Despite what Indians say the Asia cup is nothing withiut Pakistan...hence why BCCI are covering the tv shortfall from their own pockets.

Last edited:
Pakistan will play the WC in good faith as its an ICC event.

I personally wish they boycott but its likely they will play and seek assurances from ICC about CT2025.

Moving the asia cup from Pakistan to a neutral venue would severely weaken the case for 2025 as India is guaranteed to boycott in 2025. Accepting a move now would 100% mean accepting a move then.

This is the only way ahead now. Despite what Indians say the Asia cup is nothing withiut Pakistan...hence why BCCI are covering the tv shortfall from their own pockets.

BCCI may cover if there is loss. IF.

There has been so much rubbish posted on the Asia cup, nobody knows what is true.

Pakistan should simply refuse to play in the Asia cup, its a mickey mouse tournament which is a waste of time and energy for the players.

World cup wont be rejected in India. Pakistan have a good chance of winning it in India as they did in 2011. Imagine the Indian faces esp the BJP/RSS extremists having to clap Pakistan lifting the trophy in Bombay or wherever the final is.

According to some reporters, Sri Lanka has officially been giving the hosting rights. So not only have the BCCI taken the tournament out of Pakistan but they have also snatched the hosting rights from Pakistan and awarded it to Sri Lanka.

BCCI have shown PCB it’s level yet again. The problem is that PCB talks too much. The fans also thump their chests but they end up looking stupid because BCCI gets what it wants and PCB cannot do anything.

If PCB and the fans stop talking it won’t be a problem. The lesson learned from this is stop making noise about the World Cup.

We all know what will happen in the end - Pakistan will have to swallow its pride and go to India for the World Cup. The more you talk about it the worse it will get.

Does Pakistan need to be part of the ACC? What have we gained?

Pakistan will go to India for the 2023 World Cup.

Pakistan will be forced to host the 2025 CT in UAE because India will refuse to play in Pakistan.

This is what will happen. The quicker the fans accept the reality, the less painful it will be.

According to Indian news reports, Jay Shah had a one to one meeting with Sethi where he told him that the Asia Cup was not going to be held in Pakistan and will be held in Sri Lanka. Sethi remained firm on his stance that Pakistan will in that case boycott the Asia Cup and Jay Shah responded no problem, we will invite a big team to India for an ODI/T-20 series and cover Star Sports losses.

No icc tournament will ever be held in pakistan. This is the reality pakistan has to accept?

Pakistani s are living in some virtual world. India is playing politics, lobbying from day 1 and smartly managed all affairs, however Pakistan just showing chest thumping and doing nothing.
I am sure SL Ban cricket boards are laughing at PCB. What a joke:ravi

BCCI may cover if there is loss. IF.

There will be a loss for sure.

Asia cup is deliberately structured to have 2 - 3 games between India Pakistan.

Even if they don't acknowledge it this time it will have an impact the next time the rights are negotiated.

Pakistan will be forced to host the 2025 CT in UAE because India will refuse to play in Pakistan.

This is what will happen. The quicker the fans accept the reality, the less painful it will be.

Yeah but why was Sethi chest thumping

BCCI have shown PCB it’s level yet again. The problem is that PCB talks too much. The fans also thump their chests but they end up looking stupid because BCCI gets what it wants and PCB cannot do anything.

If PCB and the fans stop talking it won’t be a problem. The lesson learned from this is stop making noise about the World Cup.

We all know what will happen in the end - Pakistan will have to swallow its pride and go to India for the World Cup. The more you talk about it the worse it will get.

Whats mind boggling is that Sethi and PCB did not learn from the previous episode where he lost the case on the MoU saga. Keeps acting like avg irrational fan whose default reaction to solve any dispute is to indulge in Bravado and braggadocio. I find that absolutely incredulous.

Whats mind boggling is that Sethi and PCB did not learn from the previous episode where he lost the case on the MoU saga. Keeps acting like avg irrational fan whose default reaction to solve any dispute is to indulge in Bravado and braggadocio. I find that absolutely incredulous.

You can't blame Sethi here. He was under tremendous pressure from many stake holders i.e. ex players, sports journalists, fans and not to mention the jingoistic stance taken by his predecessor Ramiz Raja. Besides why shouldn't Pakistan try and stand up for their rights. The PCB was well within their rights to try and host the tournament in Pakistan.

You can't blame Sethi here. He was under tremendous pressure from many stake holders i.e. ex players, sports journalists, fans and not to mention the jingoistic stance taken by his predecessor Ramiz Raja. Besides why shouldn't Pakistan try and stand up for their rights. The PCB was well within their rights to try and host the tournament in Pakistan.

Golden rule : it is always your predecessors fault.

thats according to PCB ... but in the real world you need people around you to buy into your viewpoints. How does Pakistan still not realize that it stands nearly isolated on all fronts despite everything thats happened and Cricket BTW is a small issue in the big scheme of things.

No board supported PCB. What does that tell you?

No board supported PCB. What does that tell you?

Like you always mention India generates the most money, so the other boards were going to follow India that was suspected. Pakistan at least try to take a stand, and we support it, weather other boards agree or not, its not our problem we will try to do what is best for Pakistan, especially when india is in the Wrong.

Sethi is an idiot but I don't blame him for this. The Inds are determined to bury us in all spheres.

Who cares? As long as the team plays well, that's all that I want. The PCB will make its money regardless and boycotting the world cup makes zero sense.

The goal should be to win the world cup in India and dedicate it to the Muslims, Sikhs, Christians and Dalits that are being persecuted in that country.

All this administrative drama is nonsensical.

Yeah but why was Sethi chest thumping

I have not been impressed with Sethi’s second stint. I had better expectations.

- he hasn’t learned anything from his previous experience with BCCI.

- he appointed Mickey as a remote director of cricket when he was clearly not interested in giving up his comfortable job in county to become the Pakistan coach.

- his shameless lobbying for a pathetic player like Shan.

- he appointed Mickey as a remote director of cricket when he was clearly not interested in giving up his comfortable job in county to become the Pakistan coach.

1. He did what Ramiz, Ehsan Mani. Shehryar etc would have done as well. We lost this battle so no shame in that. The bigger / sterner test will be in 2025.

2. Wait until Mickey’s tenure is over and then decide if it was a success or failure..

3. Fully agree

1. He did what Ramiz, Ehsan Mani. Shehryar etc would have done as well. We lost this battle so no shame in that. The bigger / sterner test will be in 2025.

2. Wait until Mickey’s tenure is over and then decide if it was a success or failure..

3. Fully agree

Sethi is better than all of them. He should have had the smarts to realize that it is a battle he cannot win. Besides, he cost PCB million of rupees when he had a legal tussle with BCCI previously. He is simply delusional when it comes to BCCI and it is becoming impossible to defend his thought-process.

It is not about success or failure, although Mickey has already failed as Pakistan coach. The point is that if Mickey was not interested in quitting his job at Derbyshire and taking over as Pakistan coach, PCB should have looked elsewhere.

This phony director/consultancy role means nothing. He is not even going to be with the team. He is basically milking PCB for some easy cash. It is a really dumb arrangement.

Crickets loss. Honestly to hell with India. We should not bend the knees to such tyrants we will lose money but have to take a principle stance. This is discrimination and racism.

No, play in the UAE. Don’t make excuses about humid conditions.

Are these cricketers or ballerinas?

You want a different venue, and Pakistan’s second home is UAE. Play there.

Not enough security in Pakistan, it’s too hot to play in UAE. Enough already.

I don’t know why you backed him before. His only saving grace was being the father of PSL. Which is huge, but that’s it.

He’s very hands off and passive as chairman.

Crickets loss. Honestly to hell with India. We should not bend the knees to such tyrants we will lose money but have to take a principle stance. This is discrimination and racism.

My recommendation is for Pakistan to pull out of ODI WC 2023 and show the BCCI that they are no pushovers. That way PCB will regain their honor and India meanwhile can maintain its world cup streak. A win-win for everyone.

My recommendation is for Pakistan to pull out of ODI WC 2023 and show the BCCI that they are no pushovers. That way PCB will regain their honor and India meanwhile can maintain its world cup streak. A win-win for everyone.

Oh please. We only live once.

Honor doesnt sell on ebay. I just wanna watch the damn ODI WC featuring Pakistan.

I hope PCB boycotts Asia Cup and WC as well.
Pakistanis have enough problems to worry about already , BCCI's bullying is least thing common Pakistanis are willing to tolerate

Oh please. We only live once.

Honor doesnt sell on ebay. I just wanna watch the damn ODI WC featuring Pakistan.

I was being tongue-in-cheek there hehe.

I know there's not a pakistani alive who would miss out on an ODI WC.

I hope PCB boycotts Asia Cup and WC as well.
Pakistanis have enough problems to worry about already , BCCI's bullying is least thing common Pakistanis are willing to tolerate

Amidst all the problems Pakistan has been facing lately, cricket is one thing that gives it's people something to cherish about. True, a game holds no significance in the grand scheme of things. But it still give Pakistanis something to feel good about and forget their problems for sometime.

There is still 3-4 months left for the Asia Cup. The PCB needs to cool down and let the emotions of the situation to calm down. Perhaps negotiate a better revenue, profit sharing deal and for the extra costs of the neutral venue to be borne from the share of the ACC members given that it was everyone else that voted to have the Asia Cup taken out of Pakistan against Pakistan's wishes, surely that is not an unreasonable demand from the PCB, they have to be compensated for the Asia Cup being taken to a neutral venue.

So like PTI Sethi left in cold corner astonishing stupidity at its best

No problem! As i have always maintained, we draw a line somewhere. You try to play politics and harm international cricket in Pakistan, we will simply boycott. Money can be made elsewhere, its not like our cricket board or players are starving. Some of you could do a lot with having a broader vision and having some self respect! No matter if you lose, at least have the courage to fight it till the end.

There is still 3-4 months left for the Asia Cup. The PCB needs to cool down and let the emotions of the situation to calm down. Perhaps negotiate a better revenue, profit sharing deal and for the extra costs of the neutral venue to be borne from the share of the ACC members given that it was everyone else that voted to have the Asia Cup taken out of Pakistan against Pakistan's wishes, surely that is not an unreasonable demand from the PCB, they have to be compensated for the Asia Cup being taken to a neutral venue.

Why? We dont have to play Asia Cup, we should also leave ACC’s membership - an absolute sham of a body. We should not boycott the WC which is an ICC tournament and build a narrative on holding our commitment to ICC as a precursor to 2025 CT. We need to play this smartly. Shocked to see some comments here though. Some pathetic takes.

Bangladesh and Sri Lanka are clever they know bcci have money and can make things happen
They have been a ss licking very well

Pakistan should have done same ?

Asia cup hosted in neutral country
World cup In India
Champions trophy in neutral country

If this is what some of you so called pakistanis are saying then you are pathetic and have no right to call your self pakistani

If india are not traveling to pakistan then pakistan has no business travelling to India

And India will not also travel to pakistan for champions trophy

Best to boycott all events involving to India

Bangladesh and Sri Lanka are clever they know bcci have money and can make things happen
They have been a ss licking very well

Pakistan should have done same ?

Asia cup hosted in neutral country
World cup In India
Champions trophy in neutral country

If this is what some of you so called pakistanis are saying then you are pathetic and have no right to call your self pakistani

If india are not traveling to pakistan then pakistan has no business travelling to India

And India will not also travel to pakistan for champions trophy

Best to boycott all events involving to India

Boycotting India and acting jingoistic will only mean further isolation for Pakistan. The BCCI can make the entire cricketing world including the ICC isolate Pakistan in a heart beat. If that happens Cricket in Pakistan will go the way of hockey.

Boycotting India and acting jingoistic will only mean further isolation for Pakistan. The BCCI can make the entire cricketing world including the ICC isolate Pakistan in a heart beat. If that happens Cricket in Pakistan will go the way of hockey.

BCCI can? BCCI are already doing this

BCCI are not traveling to champions trophy 2025 in pakistan mark my post

How much more will it take for you to come back to reality? lol

Aligned. Well said.

I don’t know why you backed him before. His only saving grace was being the father of PSL. Which is huge, but that’s it.

He’s very hands off and passive as chairman.

Not just PSL but he brought international cricket back to Pakistan. Pakistan is now a full-fledged host again because of his efforts from 2015-2017.

Those who capitalized on his work and benefited from it later on were mocking him for bringing associate teams and railu katta players in 2015-16.

Those incremental steps allowed PCB to rebuild its credibility and eventually host Test cricket and the major countries like Australia, England, New Zealand etc.

So overall, he did a massive job. However, he has been very poor in his second stint.

The Sri Lankan media and cricket board have dismissed reports that the Asia Cup will be moved from Pakistan to Sri Lanka.

According to Sri Lankan media, the Sri Lankan cricket board was unaware of any decision regarding the event’s hosting and stated that the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) meeting would serve as the platform for deciding the venue.

Earlier, Indian media reported that due to the hot weather conditions in the UAE, Sri Lanka was chosen as the host country for the Asia Cup. The media also reported that Afghanistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka had agreed to hold the event in Sri Lanka. However, the Sri Lankan media and cricket board dismissed these claims.

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), on the other hand, had already expressed their displeasure with the decision to relocate the event outside of Pakistan. They proposed a hybrid model in which Pakistan would host all other Asia Cup matches except India’s, which would be played at a neutral venue. However, according to Indian media, broadcasters were dissatisfied with this proposal.

The Sri Lankan media and cricket board have refuted Indian media claims about the Asia Cup venue. The ACC meeting will make the final decision on the event’s location, and the PCB has stated that they will boycott the event if it is held outside of Pakistan.

https://dailytimes.com.pk/1091560/sri-lankan-media-rejects-indias-claims-about-shifting-of-asia-cup/

Amidst all the problems Pakistan has been facing lately, cricket is one thing that gives it's people something to cherish about. True, a game holds no significance in the grand scheme of things. But it still give Pakistanis something to feel good about and forget their problems for sometime.

Its just a game, at the end of the day peoples will life go one if cricket is being played or not. Even in India the millions that live in poverty if India does not play cricket for a while as an example life will still go on. Cricket ir sports is entertainment and great way to enjoy time with friends or family or even yourself, but if it is not being played it wont change anything in peoples life. Fans will be sad for a bit but they will get on with life.

Reality is if BCCI and Indian Governement didnt use their political agenda agaisnt Pakistan, than we wouldnt be in the current situation we are with Pakistan looking to boycott now.

Which country would like to play in Pakistan now?

Good it's been moved out of Pakistan.

Who cares? As long as the team plays well, that's all that I want. The PCB will make its money regardless and boycotting the world cup makes zero sense.

The goal should be to win the world cup in India and dedicate it to the Muslims, Sikhs, Christians and Dalits that are being persecuted in that country.

All this administrative drama is nonsensical.

That's what I say and shove it right up these fascist goons.

wow, nothing changed. all the chest thumping about fighting against bcci etc :))
posters of countries where minority population is diminishing are lecturing india :))
going to be hilarious to watch the frustration & keyboard smashing get extended from 2024 to 2029

wow, nothing changed. all the chest thumping about fighting against bcci etc :))
posters of countries where minority population is diminishing are lecturing india :))
going to be hilarious to watch the frustration & keyboard smashing get extended from 2024 to 2029

Won't be as hilarious when India get smashed on their own turf. :ba_quiet

Sethi Saab can now forget about hosting the Asia Cup in Pakistan today after today's events

If Pak doesn't play WC, I guess it would be a golden opportunity lost to beat India. India is regressing fast in ltd over matches.

[Report] Pakistan likely to pull out of Asia Cup

Hearing via multiple sources that Najam Sethi is pulling out of this year’s Asia Cup after the events of yesterday..

PCB are also re-evaluating their membership in ACC but no final decision has been made yet.

More to follow..

After what is has happened in Pakistan, and the party that Najam Sethi represents, I hope ACC will kick Pakistan out and end this drama.

After what is has happened in Pakistan, and the party that Najam Sethi represents, I hope ACC will kick Pakistan out and end this drama.

Can someone expand on this? What happened? What did "the party that Najam Sethi represents" do?

For those who don't follow Pakistan politics, please enlighten us

Sarfaraz Ahmed speaking to the media:

"It is our right to host international teams in Pakistan, and we have struggled a lot to make this happen"

"Especially members of the Pakistan team of whom I was part of when no international cricket was happening in our country and we, including the PCB, struggled very hard to bring cricket back home"

"The media, security forces have all played an important role in achieving this and because of this international cricket has been restored in Pakistan"

"India should definitely come over to Pakistan and all teams that have played here should also support us because not many countries can match us in our hospitality"

"We shouldn't even talk about the fact that India won't come over - Our stance should be that India should come to Pakistan and play cricket; So that just like the people of Pakistan saw Steve Smith, Joe Root and James Anderson play cricket here, the people of Pakistan want to see India play in Pakistan as well"

Last edited:

Oh here we go, one minute slagging Pakistan cricket off the next bigging up certain Pakistan players and ODI.

Telling fans about chest thumping, when your a prime culprit for doing it yourself.

Playing the Pakistan fan one minute then anti-pakistan fan the next.

I have no problem with Pakistan not playing Asia Cup or World Cup and most Pakistan fans should be okay with it. Keep your self respect and don't bow down to the dictatorship that exist in International Cricket.

Pak can say goodbye to hosting ASIA CUP as Pakistan is burning. Who knows even CT2025 hosting rights may be taken away from PAK or the entire tournament gets shifted to UAE ?

Back