[Reports] UAE to be considered as co-host for the ICC Champions Trophy 2025 amidst India's travel concerns and the return of the 'Hybrid Model'

I'm not sure what percentage of the revenues come from advertising for PAK broadcasters.

But even then , total rights you gave included IPL + cricket from England and Australia + ICC events

This bid is only for international bilateral cricket in Pakistan.

They have to pay separately for PSL, ICC/ACC events, cricket from CA, ECB etc.

1000 INR per year is still a bit too high just for that.
I'll stop here since @BouncerGuy guy doesn't want finance discussions in this thread but my calculations for Pakistan also included rights for all cricket (PSL + ICC +PCB) and I considered only 5% (2.5m) of households in Pakistan vs. 30% (100m) in India since India is more developed.

That was the max offer they received in the last bid. The PCB just held a recent rebid and now the maximum offer they have received is $4 million for 3 years.
This is shocking to be honest. Even Sri Lanka got $22.5 million for the last cycle of 3 years. Not sure of current cycle.

Of course, SL do get India tours . But even then, that is still impressive for such a small market.

@BouncerGuy My last post on the topic :apology

This is shocking to be honest. Even Sri Lanka got $22.5 million for the last cycle of 3 years. Not sure of current cycle.

Of course, SL do get India tours . But even then, that is still impressive for such a small market.

@BouncerGuy My last post on the topic :apology

Bear in mind, this is just PCB trying to sell their rights to foreign broadcasters.

I am curious how much they have been offered by their domestic broadcasters ie PTV or A Sports?

Bear in mind, this is just PCB trying to sell their rights to foreign broadcasters.

I am curious how much they have been offered by their domestic broadcasters ie PTV or A Sports?
Oh ok. I thought this was primary market sale.

cricket as a game was based on certain principals hence the often used term "it just isn't cricket"...

Those principals of fairness don't hold true in today's world.
Those terms and principles are only used mostly when it doesn’t benefit the white folks who invented cricket.

All these fairness etc is only subjective. No such thing like spirit of cricket why exists.

Only thing matters are rules of the game and you play hard within the rules. Thats all matters. Rest all is rhetoric.

Something's off. Pakistan and the PCB are definitely not doing this right.

Pakistan has about 250m folks...let's call it 50 million households. Let's also say only 5% of the households are willing to pay to watch cricket. The rest want it free on PTV.

It should be possible to get $1 a month - PKR280 from these 2.5m households for $30m a year. Add to that revenue from advertising and overseas Pakistani who're interested in Pakistan cricket and cricket should be able to pull in $50m annually in broadcast rights between PSL, Pakistan domestic and ICC events. Of these only PSL is anywhere close to it's fair share.

Keep in mind Pakistan is a single sport country and the public has limited other entertainment options - not much of a movie or streaming industry.

For context, I live in India and spend about $25 a month across multiple streaming services - Jio, Prime, Hotstar, Netflix, Sony, Spotify and YouTube premium. Probably $7-8 of that is driven by cricket.
This is for international rights. Not the rights within Pak.

Former Pakistan captain and star all-rounder Shahid Afridi lambasted the Board of Control in India (BCCI) over their indecision to send Team India to Pakistan for the ICC Champions Trophy 2025:

“If India does not have the intention of coming to Pakistan for the Champions Trophy, then India will continue to make excuses,”

“The Pakistan cricket team toured India despite threats. Indian cricket team is welcome if they don’t want to visit Pakistan,”

I wonder when does Shahid Afridi realize his country and his cricket board are too poor to have a choice! Harsh but truth....

There is no indecision. BCCI has already decided that they are not coming. They just need to make it public.

There is no indecision. BCCI has already decided that they are not coming. They just need to make it public.
I still think it's weird how not one official on either side is willing to make a single statement. Jay Shah was blabbering plenty before the Asia Cup about the change in model. This time except for a bunch of ex-cricketers (mostly Pakistani) shooting their mouths off and a couple of off-the-record leaks, total radio silence.

You can't expect me to believe that the entire cricketing official community was in Colombo and the next ICC event was not discussed...even unofficially just because it wasn't on the agenda. Sure no finalisation but discussing alternate venues if not going or security arrangements if going. And yet... nothing. There have to be backroom discussions ongoing that neither side wants to leak for fear of political and public opinion repercussions.

BCCI and ICC are going to have some serious leverage over PCB given the broadcast rights deal PCB has now.

Pak screwed up by agreeing to the hybrid model during the Asia cup.

This was always in the cards later. For once, have the balls to say no to India, Pakistan. Should have done it during the Asia cup - yes, you loose money but in the longer run, it would have helped your cause - coming from an india dude.

Last edited by a moderator:
Things have gone quiet nowadays. Something is cooking behind closed doors????

Quiet where ? BCCI never commented. Only Tanveer et al commented
BCCI never commented means they are quiet...LOL

PCB is also quiet but they are busy renovating stadiums though. ICC is also not saying something about this event.

PCB is also quiet but they are busy renovating stadiums though. ICC is also not saying something about this event.
BCCI being quiet is nothing new. They never comment. Always quiet.

Now, PCB being quiet is news. Usually there are couple of people from the PCB issuing press statements. Add to that ex players chiming in.

Yes, but that is a difference between have gone quiet vs are quiet.
PCB is quiet because they cannot afford to antagonize India or GoI.

This was always in the cards later. For once, have the balls to say no to India, Pakistan. Should have done it during the Asia cup - yes, you loose money but in the longer run, it would have helped your cause - coming from an india dude.
Nah. they would have then had to boycott the WC and ICC was prepared for it by replacing them with WI. If that had happened, it would have be shown that Pak team is not a neccessary ingredient.. It would have been game over for PCB so they chose to kick the can down the road hoping for change in GOI or its stance.

Hearing about this broadcast deals, PCB has been fully aware they had to bluff becos they had nothing up there sleeve. Now the whole world knows.

The hybrid model of CT schedule will be announced by January 2025.

Pakistan will host 7 out of 15 CT matches while UAE will host remaining 8 including India vs Pakistan. Pakistan might get to play home semi-final if they make it to the second round of the tournament.

The hybrid model of CT schedule will be announced by January 2025.

Pakistan will host 7 out of 15 CT matches while UAE will host remaining 8 including India vs Pakistan. Pakistan might get to play home semi-final if they make it to the second round of the tournament.
Where did you get it from?

Pakistan can still say no to money, Asia Cup precedent is irrelevant. It might very well be the case that Pakistan saying yes or no hardly matters here, a tournament without India may not be an option for the ICC.

Jay Shah as ICC President will pull off the final kill shot by taking the CT away from Pakistan at the last moment

Jay Shah as ICC President will pull off the final kill shot by taking the CT away from Pakistan at the last moment

I can see this coming from a mile away.

And Pakistan will still be shocked and surprised.

OTOH Pakistan does not have a diaspora as large and as prosperous as India. Like you mentioned they are making boring pitches, losing against England, Australia and NZ C team at home. I am surprised there was a bid of $7.85 mn.

This also segways me into something this community often reminisces about. ECB/CA stewardship of cricket. I would want people to consider how cricket has been relegated to second class citizen in Australia, England and South Africa. BCCI has been doing a very commendable job in comparison for the spread of the game in other parts of the world.
I was reminded of this thread when I saw this tweet:

Check out the crowd and it's enthusiasm in Australia compared to how it has been relegated to a second tier game with shared stadiums and grounds. How is it that no one ever talks about how bad CA has bungled and people on this forum reminisce about the times when CA/ECB had a veto and refused to tour India.

In the conversation with local Indian media outlet, Former Pakistan spinner Danish Kaneria said that Dubai would be the ideal place for ICC Champions Trophy 2025:

"Look at the situation in Pakistan I have to say that the Indian team should not go to Pakistan, and Pakistan should think about it, and then the ICC will make its decision, and most likely, it will be a hybrid model, it will play in Dubai Champions Trophy because people know that this is a good thing. The media gets hype, everyone's videos get likes, and everyone's videos get liked, because the big manjan is good so it will sell. So I think this is a reality and it will definitely be a hybrid model. And BCCI will do whatever they have to advise."

"The safety of the players is the first priority. Exactly. The safety of the players is the first priority. Respect is the second priority. There are many things. I think the work of BCCI is doing a great job. I think it will accept the decision of other countries and accept their decision. I think it will be a hybrid model."

"The main issue is that money will come. That's why there is so much talk about Indian team coming, there will be sponsorships, media will grow, there will be a channel of Dhoom Dham, this will happen, that will happen, there will be a lot of things, money will come well, this will happen. But that's okay. But you see the other grey area which you are fixing right now. If you think positively, your mind that the situation is not good, security concerns are there, the rest of the team is coming but this is an Indian team. This is an Indian team. Now, we went to India, so the situation in India is far more better, the balance is there, everything is good, the world travels, tourists come from all over the world, so everything is great and the government is doing a fantastic job. So that's the thing, that's the reality."

In the conversation with local Indian media outlet, Former Pakistan spinner Danish Kaneria said that Dubai would be the ideal place for ICC Champions Trophy 2025:

"Look at the situation in Pakistan I have to say that the Indian team should not go to Pakistan, and Pakistan should think about it, and then the ICC will make its decision, and most likely, it will be a hybrid model, it will play in Dubai Champions Trophy because people know that this is a good thing. The media gets hype, everyone's videos get likes, and everyone's videos get liked, because the big manjan is good so it will sell. So I think this is a reality and it will definitely be a hybrid model. And BCCI will do whatever they have to advise."

"The safety of the players is the first priority. Exactly. The safety of the players is the first priority. Respect is the second priority. There are many things. I think the work of BCCI is doing a great job. I think it will accept the decision of other countries and accept their decision. I think it will be a hybrid model."

"The main issue is that money will come. That's why there is so much talk about Indian team coming, there will be sponsorships, media will grow, there will be a channel of Dhoom Dham, this will happen, that will happen, there will be a lot of things, money will come well, this will happen. But that's okay. But you see the other grey area which you are fixing right now. If you think positively, your mind that the situation is not good, security concerns are there, the rest of the team is coming but this is an Indian team. This is an Indian team. Now, we went to India, so the situation in India is far more better, the balance is there, everything is good, the world travels, tourists come from all over the world, so everything is great and the government is doing a fantastic job. So that's the thing, that's the reality."

Why is Danish Kaneria parroting India's position? Very strange.

Kamran Akmal speaking during an Interview:

"India vs Pakistan matches bring fans together. That's why it's known as the mother of all clashes. We toured India several times—in 2004, 2007, and 2011. We received so much love from India and a lot of support. There's no doubt that a home team always gets support from its home crowd, but we also got the same kind of support. Indian fans showered us with love whenever the Pakistan team, including me, stepped out of the hotel room, I mean, off the field. If any team wants to play good cricket or enjoy the game, please visit India. Indian fans are the best in the world."

"Similarly, Pakistan fans love Indian cricketers. Whenever India traveled to Pakistan, our fans greeted them with smiles. Virender Sehwag has spoken about the love he received in Pakistan many times. Dada (Sourav Ganguly) has also talked a lot about his love for Pakistan fans. Our fans support the Indian team just as they support the Pakistan team. We all want the India vs Pakistan bilateral series to happen. We are missing the India vs Pakistan series."

"I consider myself lucky that I traveled to India and played several series, both home and away. I really enjoyed those times. India should travel to Pakistan, and Pakistan should go to India. Let's keep the political matters aside and play and love cricket."

"When a team like Australia can visit Pakistan, why not India? The India-Pakistan bilateral series should happen. Both governments need to sit and talk. This will benefit cricket."

"Pehle aapne Asia Cup le liya, ab Champions Trophy ki baatein kar rahe hain. Kyun kar rahe hain aap aisa? (First you took away the Asia Cup from Pakistan; now talking about the Champions Trophy, why?) ... Pakistan has done a lot of hard work to bring cricket back to the country. If India invites Pakistan, our government will never stop us. They will say, 'Go and play.' The Indian government should do the same. Let's keep politics aside and play cricket"

Back