SAF vs Bangladesh | 2nd test | Chittagong | 29/2/08

253/0

..and 33 overs still remain in this torture for Bangladesh

Looks like S.A maybe 400+ at end of day maybe for none!

303 for 0

Still 18 overs left in the day.

Smith could break Lara's record here.

Good to see mckenzie on 130 .....this will see him back into the side for a while .

Poor Bangladesh...this is getting cruel now .

Interesting trivia .

Pat sends in this trivia: "This is only the 12th opening partnership of 300 or more and Graeme Smith has been involved in four of them.....an incredible feat......" Indeed.

Last edited:
saffer said:
break lara's record ? He's not even half way yet !!!

He only has to bat out the last 18 overs today and bat all day tomorrow and he should do it :D

He only has to bat out the last 18 overs today and bat all day tomorrow and he should do it

He could end up scoring his 200 in a day...but that would be stretching it...knowing Smith he will want to preserve his wicket and score HUGE tomorrow rather than throw it away for a mere 200.....the guy is pretty run hungry and greedy when he is on form ...

South Africa 361/0 - Smith 196 & Mckenzie 153

376 for 0

Smith will definitely break Lara's record

Hey Hey Hey.....Pakistan's record will be beaten of conceding over 400 runs for the first wicket....

405 for 0 at close.

Smith not out 223 (174 more runs to get, which he will)

what's the point of playing on a pitch like this ?

There wasn't even a chance go missing today....strange cricket...Smith could be looking at over 300 here....

Pitch reminds me of one in antigua where lara got his 400*

saffer said:
There wasn't even a chance go missing today....strange cricket...Smith could be looking at over 300 here....

Well Jason Gillespie got 200 not out vs the Bangas over there...

this was like watching the middle overs in an ODI...4 men guarding the boundary, easy singles...poor fielding, bowling, and captaincy

I can only commisserate with our BD fans on PP and congratulate saffer, JAF and co. on an amazing days cricket.

Must have been a pretty demoralising day for the BD team. Did they have any chances to take any wickets today?

WOAH! 405-0 and they are only 9 runs shy off breaking world record for opening partnership!

Good Luck to SA!

Both will break Lara's record, and then will try to run each other out.

Saj said:
I can only commisserate with our BD fans on PP and congratulate saffer, JAF and co. on an amazing days cricket.

Must have been a pretty demoralising day for the BD team. Did they have any chances to take any wickets today?

and the (almost as) embarassing thing will be when we are skittled out for 200 and have to follow on chasing 400+ to make them bat again.

i just hope we somehow avoid the follow on...baby steps.

Looks like SA will try and put 800+ and plan to bat only once.

I think bangladesh coyuld escape with a draw....S.a will probably bat today without much damage and half tomorrow ...and then bangladesh need to bat out 2 and a half days...can be done on this wicket given S.a are playing Peterson who has no business posturing as a spin bowler....at least botha actually spins the ball...

You never know.. losing their concentration they might get out very first over. But BD will collapse on this very flat track.

You never know.. losing their concentration they might get out very first over. But BD will collapse on this very flat track.

Yeah , you'd think despite the track steyn will get enouhg swing and pitch it full to bother the batsmen .

saffer said:
I think bangladesh coyuld escape with a draw....S.a will probably bat today without much damage and half tomorrow ...and then bangladesh need to bat out 2 and a half days...can be done on this wicket given S.a are playing Peterson who has no business posturing as a spin bowler....at least botha actually spins the ball...

even namibia could get a draw out of this pitch. doesn't matter who is the bowling attack. thats how flat this track is.

but our batsman won't score 300 even against cayman island's fearsome attack simply because they try to invent new ways to get out. i am starting to think our batsman actually actively try to get themselves out before the bowler does. i'll bet they have an inside thing where the brag on who can spend the least amount of time at the crease in a test. the rules go something like this:

- must hit at least 2 boundaries
- must not play a single sensical shot
- must get out to the loosest delivery possible

Smiffy falls for 232, 168 short of Lara's record. SA 1/483, McKenzie on 201* and Amla 31*.

On another note, Razzak and Rafique have both posted their tons also.

Bangla Tiger said:
even namibia could get a draw out of this pitch. doesn't matter who is the bowling attack. thats how flat this track is.

but our batsman won't score 300 even against cayman island's fearsome attack simply because they try to invent new ways to get out. i am starting to think our batsman actually actively try to get themselves out before the bowler does. i'll bet they have an inside thing where the brag on who can spend the least amount of time at the crease in a test. the rules go something like this:

- must hit at least 2 boundaries
- must not play a single sensical shot
- must get out to the loosest delivery possible

This is unfortunately a common characteristic that BD have showed over the years - they'll put up a fighting effort in one match and nearly pull off a win (eg vs OZ a couple years ago when Gilly had to save us with a ton) and then in the next match they'll roll over and submit meekly (eg when Gillespie score 201* and Hussey 180+ in the 2nd Test). The consistency of performance just isn't there from the players.

South Africa are going nicely they are 509-1 at Lunch in 2nd Day.

Yep, it's an absolute pwning at the moment.

Yep, it's an absolute pwning at the moment.

Amla and Kallis in now....expect scoring to drag to a halt . I don't know why amla doesn't just play like he does domestically and start smacking it around .

A bit soon maybe...but what's the highesr test innings total ever ?

Forget that...Amla out...Bangladesh are crawling back in.....no wait .

Bangla Tiger said:

You still think the pitch is flat?

wait till steyn cleans up b'desh on the 'flat pitch'..lol..t'was a spankin!

BD letting the Saffies off the hook

583/7 declared by SA.

Mohammed Rafique gets a 100 test wickets.
Bangladesh 19/0.

Sporting declaration by south africa . Pitch is clearly flat as anything...Steyn not getting any swing (yet) too .

Steyns bowling some decent quick and aggressive stuff here..now morkel....lets see if he can get up to speed...

The goal for the Bangles is to keep wickets intact till stumps. They might be 2/7ths of a chance for a draw if they can do that.

The goal for the Bangles is to keep wickets intact till stumps. They might be 2/7ths of a chance for a draw if they can do that.

I think it's going to be hard to bowl them out twice....the pitch is doing nothing at all and we don't have a decent spinner playing this game...

Signs morkel is getting back to some sort of form...consistantly in the 140's ....needs to find that extra 10 kmph he had before still though

Steyn bowling quick ...this over...up to 147.4 ...145 , 144 ....

Last edited:
here we go, the collapse is well and truly on for BD.

saffer said:
I think it's going to be hard to bowl them out twice....the pitch is doing nothing at all and we don't have a decent spinner playing this game...

joke of the day...i can get BD out twice in a session by myself.

A good bowling effort from BD today considering the opening stand, but the batting once again flatters to deceive.

to be honest steyn is a beast. still upset tho. tamim played as reckless as ever. even for an 18 year old he should have known that was coming.

to be honest steyn is a beast. still upset tho. tamim played as reckless as ever. even for an 18 year old he should have known that was coming.

Relax...I see a lot of potential in the Bangladesh side...and judging by the crowds even on a day where you are 500 for 1 behind.....I see there is an obvious love for the game....it's only a matter of short time before you guys compete on a regular basis .

steyn is bowling everyone out with little effort at the moment ...seriously great spell yersterday on a docile wicket....3 wickets and 3 cracked helmets...

Last edited:
There's an obvious love for the game, which is probably the main (only) thing going for BD at the moment. More so than a good national coach the country needs good administrator who can set out a direction for the game, improve infrastructure and grassroots and get funding from the ICC/government/partners/private corporations etc. Having a cricket culture is important as you can't create that overnight, but I really think BD needs a bottom-up approach to succeed.

Back to topic, I reckon BD will get rolled for 200 and will have to follow on.

There's an obvious love for the game, which is probably the main (only) thing going for BD at the moment. More so than a good national coach the country needs good administrator who can set out a direction for the game, improve infrastructure and grassroots and get funding from the ICC/government/partners/private corporations etc. Having a cricket culture is important as you can't create that overnight, but I really think BD needs a bottom-up approach to succeed.

don't they have 160 million people or something too ?

Poor South Africa have about 7 -10 million people effectively interested in cricket .

South Africa = 47M people
Australia = 21M people

saffer said:
Relax...I see a lot of potential in the Bangladesh side...and judging by the crowds even on a day where you are 500 for 1 behind.....I see there is an obvious love for the game....it's only a matter of short time before you guys compete on a regular basis .

steyn is bowling everyone out with little effort at the moment ...seriously great spell yersterday on a docile wicket....3 wickets and 3 cracked helmets...

that makes it more frustrating in a way. if we had no skills, no one would bother investing time and interest in following it. i don't doubt that we'll one day be a great side. but in tests it will probably take a while.

ODIs i expect to be fairly competitive soon enough

saffer said:

So that is 101 wickets in 20 Tests for Steyn? Great effort :27:

he has 7 wickets in this match...so 105 in 20 tests...averages 10 runs a wicket this and last year now...

Back