Shan Masood Appreciation Thread

BoomBoomCricket

First Class Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
1) He was vice captain of the 2008 Under 19 World Cup team which had Shehzad, Umar Akmal, Junaid Khan, Umar Amin in
2) He was a boarding pupil at Stamford Private School in Lincolnshire
3) He got admission to Loughborough University, one of the top ranked in UK
4) He got admission into Durham MCCU to play first class cricket against counties
5) He has received training from ex England players such as Graeme Fowler at Durham
6) He combined studying at Loughborough and playing first class cricket in Pakistan together
7) He was sitting exams 2 months before his Test debut against the world number 1s
8) He has written impressive articles on Dawn such as ‘In Pursuit of the Star’
9) His overall first class numbers are modest but he has played first class cricket in England along with BUCS university cricket and club cricket with success
10) His favourite players include Alastair Cook and Younis Khan
11) He speaks English very confidently and fluently as you would expect. The best I have seen by a Pakistan cricketer for a long time. Gives articulate responses.
12) He comes from an educated background with a good upbringing.
13) He is a tweeter and is the only Pakistani Cricketer who tweets without slang or internet language or informal tweeting. The quality of his tweets is good.
14) Against the likes of Dale Steyn he put on 100 for the opening stand with Manzoor on his test debut
15) He got off the mark in Tests with a boundary against Dale Steyn on the first ball he faced and got a 3 from the second ball he faced

Given his off field accomplishments, it’s only inevitable Shan will be a credible captaincy option somewhere down the line, especially if he nails down the opening slot.

On the other hand, he could end up becoming an Ed Cowan type, an MCCU graduate like Shan, left handed long format opener, talented columnist in his written work, suitable captaincy option with experience in the role, but struggling to hold a permanent position in the side and win people over. Instead he is known more for his academic background than his pedigree as a player.

For a current university student to be playing at test level at the same time is a remarkable story, irrespective of how he performs

Last edited:
Not many cricketing achievements.

More of an academic than an athlete.

Shehzad is better than him and deserves to open with Khurrum Manzoor.

all the points you mentioned are good and great for him. But secondary, first and most important thing is performance not how good he is in tweeting or went to Durham.

all the points you mentioned are good and great for him. But secondary, first and most important thing is performance not how good he is in tweeting or went to Durham.

I know one does not get extra runs or wickets for being educated as many people would forward in response. However, education produces thinking cricketers with sharper minds, suitable ambassadors who can interact in a professional diplomatic manner, players who can command the respect of the dressing room, boosts a player's self-esteem and generally speaking prevents the occurrence of misguided players. Some of the finest captains the game has seen have been renown as highly educated people, inevitably making them top class role models

I know one does not get extra runs or wickets for being educated as many people would forward in response. However, education produces thinking cricketers with sharper minds, suitable ambassadors who can interact in a professional diplomatic manner, players who can command the respect of the dressing room, boosts a player's self-esteem and generally speaking prevents the occurrence of misguided players. Some of the finest captains the game has seen have been renown as highly educated people, inevitably making them top class role models

They were also great performing players in domestic and international.

Respect is created through performance.

not denying that :) but leadership quality or man management is not earned/learned through education

Batting is about skills, intelligence and organization. His education (like Saeed Anwar) should help him learn faster where players without good education background lack this.

11) He speaks English very confidently and fluently as you would expect. The best I have seen by a Pakistan cricketer for a long time. Gives articulate responses.

13) He is a tweeter and is the only Pakistani Cricketer who tweets without slang or internet language or informal tweeting. The quality of his tweets is good.

Cracking up at some of these, the tweeting one is gold :jf

Oh and Loughborough university in NOT one of the top university's in the UK. It's got good sports sciences programmes, but overall as a whole it is very average/ below average

1) He was vice captain of the 2008 Under 19 World Cup team which had Shehzad, Umar Akmal, Junaid Khan, Umar Amin in
4) He got admission into Durham MCCU to play first class cricket against counties
5) He has received training from ex England players such as Graeme Fowler at Durham
6) He combined studying at Loughborough and playing first class cricket in Pakistan together
7) He was sitting exams 2 months before his Test debut against the world number 1s
9) His overall first class numbers are modest but he has played first class cricket in England along with BUCS university cricket and club cricket with success
14) Against the likes of Dale Steyn he put on 100 for the opening stand with Manzoor on his test debut
15) He got off the mark in Tests with a boundary against Dale Steyn on the first ball he faced and got a 3 from the second ball he faced

Given his off field accomplishments, it’s only inevitable Shan will be a credible captaincy option somewhere down the line, especially if he nails down the opening slot.

On the other hand, he could end up becoming an Ed Cowan type, an MCCU graduate like Shan, left handed long format opener, talented columnist in his written work, suitable captaincy option with experience in the role, but struggling to hold a permanent position in the side and win people over. Instead he is known more for his academic background than his pedigree as a player.

For a current university student to be playing at test level at the same time is a remarkable story, irrespective of how he performs

The most important point of all....

He comes from a very rich family.

By the way, since when loughborough become one of the top universities?

"@phoosi read my tweet b4 judging. I rested bcz its a rest and travel day. I dont see where I wrote im tired? Maybe u need a massage I dont"

That is a recent tweet from masood. Does not tweet with slang or internet language? There goes one argument out the window,

Although tbf I dont understand what his tweeting quality has anything to do with his cricketing acumen.

"@phoosi read my tweet b4 judging. I rested bcz its a rest and travel day. I dont see where I wrote im tired? Maybe u need a massage I dont"

That is a recent tweet from masood. Does not tweet with slang or internet language? There goes one argument out the window,

Although tbf I dont understand what his tweeting quality has anything to do with his cricketing acumen.

Yeah, it doesn't have much relevance, really.
But maybe he was trying to beat the Twitter limit?
I dunno, not trying to defend him, just stating that as a possibility.

I don't rate him that much from what I have seen so far.

whats his twitteR?

he wont last long in the international scene unless he work on his technique v spinners and onside shots.

The basis of the OP's reasons for appreciating Shan Masood is because he has a nice twitter account? LOL! "He got off the mark in tests vs Dale Steyn with a boundary", I hope everyone remembers that was an edge he got a boundary on.

I have seen this OP for years, if he starts a thread titled "Misbah is a patriotic player", his reasoning would be "Misbah is the most patriotic player because on every Friday from 3:00pm-8:00pm he wears a green shirt"

Shan Masood has a mediocre domestic level, he made one 75 and the other three innings he flopped, his technique versus spin needs to be sorted out. Masood averages 34 in FC and 32 in List A. Why is he given preference over some other openers? It's because of his connections.

wow...being a good tweeter and having good education helps you with cricket? Piers Morgan should have played for England then!!

Its great that he went to University etc. But we need a cricketer, not a journalist. Didn't you guys learn from the Professor? :hafeez

By the way, since when loughborough become one of the top universities?

Ranked number 14 out of 100+ institutions

Entry requirements are high

I know Shan got straight As to get in. He mentioned it in some interview.

Instead of appreciating a well rounded individual in the Pakistan side that has managed to combine a first class career in Pakistan with studies abroad and that has come through the system of U19s and A team and is the only current Pakistan batter who has first class domestic experience in England with decent performances against some good bowling attacks in the county circuit, this thread has has turned into a bashing thread thanks to some immature responses.

A lot of ppl on pp went to top unis and speak good English and tweet and have played some form of cricket. Lets make an appreciation thread for them too.

What is this, I dont understand why English has anything to do with cricket, you speak good English doesn't mean you're a good cricketer. I dont know why are Pakistanis especially based in Pakistan so obsessed with the language

Educated background with good upbringing?

Wasn't Salman Butt also well educated from a respected family? What does that prove?

'Supporter of Pak Legends' would have been the greatest ever cricketer if English had anything to do with cricket. :yk

:)))
I'm sorry, what do the bold points have to do with his cricketing abilities?
Frankly, I don't rate him that highly. Was an edgy start to his career but I'd give him more time before putting him down in the Farhat-Hafeez mold.

FC Average of 34 yet opens our Test team don't understand that.

Sure having an educational background is a perk but just because Salaman Butt went bad doesn't mean the rest will. Some of our all time greats are British University schooled but that doesn't mean he should get an easier shot at the Test XI because his english is good.

Ill reserve judgement on the lad played a good knock against S.A. but i am not singing his praises because he was a un19 captain or has had abroad coaching.

Well he did make that 74 so deserves a go in the line up. I am not satisfied with him but i dont like this two test chopping. So lets see how he will do against the srilanka. Hope he makes a big score and him and khurram solve our test opening problem and while doing that keep the professor away from class. :yk :yk

KARACHI, April 24 Pakistan's talented young cricketer Shan Masood has featured in this year's Wisden for his prolific batting while playing for Stamford school in England in 2009.

Shan, who represented Pakistan Under-19 as vice captain for two consecutive years, broke the run-getting record for Stamford by scoring 1237 at an average of 103 in his stint with the school last year.

“An excellent campaign by Stamford school, dominated by outstanding displays by Shan Masood,” writes Wisden.

“His five centuries included a magnificent 202 at Gresham's contributing record team score of 354 for three in 50 overs. He also took 33 wickets at 19.48.”

16. He has an influential politician uncle which helped him getting selected ahead of more deserving but poor cricketers from domestic cricket.

Last edited:

You are kidding, right?

What the hell do the bold points have to do with cricket, a lot of people i know are going to respected university, can speak fluent english and have twitter accounts. should we draft them into the test team as well?

52* for Shan. Hope he can make a ton and replace Hafeez in test squad.

We need a quality opener like Shan in our side.

Probably nobody here rates him but I'm telling you he will be one of our best most consistent batsman in years to come. He will do really well on tough pitches because he has the technique to cope.

I like his technique, but he is very much lacking when it comes to ability. Won't make it.

Need to invest more in Babar Azam and Sami Aslam (who is average but better than Masood).

Regional One Day Cup, 1st Semi-final: Karachi Whites v Islamabad at Karachi, Jan 23, 2017

Shan Masood lbw b Azam Hussain 136 (116)

Back