Should a European Super League Be Formed?

Should a European Superleague be Created ?

• No, Champions League is Fine

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • Yes, it would add a new dimension to European Football

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Should the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, AC Milan, Inter Milan and Juventus be playing against each other over the course of a season in one Super League ?

"EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE" it does sound good so i dont see why not.

Nope - dont like the idea! also it would be a pain for fans having to travel abroad for matches

also it means there will be no more man-u V citeh and other derby matches which are matches that i look forward to!

I personally think the champions league should go back to being for Champions ONLY but that wont happen for money reasons

I dont think it is a good idea. It may be exciting at the start but the hype would die down and I dont think most fans would like it as domestic football is still important.

It would be good, the champions league is more of a knockout then a league so only the best can really win a league you dont win the league by fluke unlike the champions league where anyone can win it now like liverpool and porto have proved in recent seasons.

But it should be played in one country not all over the place like one season its played in england then the next in spain and so on or even better if they can just find a good neutral venue where its easy for everyone to go to and the stadiums will be packed. If they can do it for internationals i cant see why they cant do it for this but it would have to be short. Instead of 1 team playing each team twice they would only play once, that would also make each match feel like a final. Im sure man u fans would go 2 spain anyday to see their team play barce and vice versa.

Master-P said:
It would be good, the champions league is more of a knockout then a league so only the best can really win a league you dont win the league by fluke unlike the champions league where anyone can win it now like liverpool and porto have proved in recent seasons.

But it should be played in one country not all over the place like one season its played in england then the next in spain and so on or even better if they can just find a good neutral venue where its easy for everyone to go to and the stadiums will be packed. If they can do it for internationals i cant see why they cant do it for this but it would have to be short. Instead of 1 team playing each team twice they would only play once, that would also make each match feel like a final. Im sure man u fans would go 2 spain anyday to see their team play barce and vice versa.

so its a fluke cos one of the bigger teams did win?
Just cos a smaller team won doesnt mean it was a fluke - Porto played very well and deserved to win the CL

granted Liverpool were fortunate in the final BUT they still had to beat Juventus which was no mean feat - lets give credit where credits due

Yeah but winning the champions league does not mean you're the best in Europe anymore. Beacuse everyone plays diffrent teams on the way, playing some teams are easier then others and also look how much luck liverpool had on the way.

GA - masterp raised a fair point IMO - there is a certain degree of systematic bias involved in now winning the CL, i wouldnt go as far as saying it was a fluke as u still have to beat some tough sides but im sure there could be fairer systems i.e. seeding. I'm a big advocate for a seeding system to be implemented - i think that way u truly will get the best side in europe. Im also against the European super league - specifically for the pt GA made about local derby matches - would be no more barca vs espanyol etc

Waqar's inswinging yorker said:
GA - masterp raised a fair point IMO - there is a certain degree of systematic bias involved in now winning the CL, i wouldnt go as far as saying it was a fluke as u still have to beat some tough sides but im sure there could be fairer systems i.e. seeding. I'm a big advocate for a seeding system to be implemented - i think that way u truly will get the best side in europe. Im also against the European super league - specifically for the pt GA made about local derby matches - would be no more barca vs espanyol etc

i agree which is why i would like it to be the CHAMPIONS league - NOT runners up league or finishing 4th yet winning it league BUT i know it wont happen cos the current format brings in the $$$$$$

I mean look at the 2 recent winners of the CL from england - they were NOT champions of england BUT they were in the CHAMPIONS league! i know my club has benefited in the past from 4 teams being allowed in BUT i reckon the tournament would be better if it was for CHAMPIONS only

Geordie Ahmed said:
Nope - dont like the idea! also it would be a pain for fans having to travel abroad for matches
yeh but then again it gives the teams fans in europe to get to see their stars.

Daoud said:
What adi is saying makes sense. Your more likely to find ManU fans in mainland Europe than Manchester itself

:))):)))

actually to really accommodate man-u fans they should have a far eastern league (man-u can then relocate to singapore)

Personally i think they should scrap the eufa cup now its not as interesting anymore as the best teams aint playing in it anymore as the champions league takes like 4 of the best clubs from most leagues, i would put all them kind of teams in the champions league and take the best teams from the champions league and put them into the superleague that way the champions league will have teams like newcastle totenham and middlesboro in it. The champions league is not the champions league anymore becuase it has many teams in there that aint champions.

Six English teams are expected to be part of plans for a breakaway European Super League, with an announcement due on Sunday night, Sky News understands.

Among the English clubs involved are Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea.

The project has been launched to rival UEFA's Champions League format which currently dominates European football.

Sky News' City editor Mark Kleinman said: "My understanding is that 12 clubs from across Europe including the six biggest English clubs have now signed up to this new format.

"The others include Barcelona, Juventus and Real Madrid."
Kleinman added: "The new league includes staggering sums of money that will be handed to the participating clubs. About $6billion has been committed to this new project by the American bank JP Morgan.

"And this will come after European clubs' finances have been hard-hit by the coronavirus pandemic which is one of the reasons why so many of Europe's biggest clubs have decided that now is the right time to form a European Super League after years of on/off discussions about such a project."

The Premier League's chief executive Richard Masters has written to all 20 of the league's clubs in England to state its opposition to the new project.

Mr Masters told the 20 that "this venture cannot be launched without English clubs and we call upon any club contemplating associating themselves or joining this venture to walk away immediately before irreparable damage is done".

Mr Masters goes on to say in the memo: "We do not and cannot support such a concept.

"Premier League rules contain a commitment amongst clubs to remain within the football pyramid and forbid any clubs from entering competitions beyond those listed in Rule L9, without Premier League board permission.

"I cannot envisage any scenario where such permission would be granted."

The move to create a rival league is being seen by some in football as a surprise after the European Club Association (ECA), which represents 246 of the continent's leading clubs, gave their backing to UEFA's reforms.

UEFA has proposed an increase to 36 from 32 teams in the Champions League, and an overhaul of the group stage into a single table rather than the current groups of four clubs.

Teams would play 10 matches each in the group stage rather than the six they currently play and a playoff round would also be introduced before the last 16.

There have been reports of a plan for a breakaway league for a number of years and the speculation returned in January with several media reports that a document had been produced outlining the plans for a 20-team league.

Those reports led FIFA and UEFA to warn they would ban any players involved in a breakaway from playing in the World Cup or European Championship.

Premier League: Euro Super League undermines the appeal of the game

The Premier League has hit out at the plans for a breakaway European league, releasing the following statement: "The Premier League condemns any proposal that attacks the principles of open competition and sporting merit which are at the heart of the domestic and European football pyramid.

"Fans of any club in England and across Europe can currently dream that their team may climb to the top and play against the best. We believe that the concept of a European Super League would destroy this dream.

"The Premier League is proud to run a competitive and compelling football competition that has made it the most widely watched league in the world. Our success has enabled us to make an unrivalled financial contribution to the domestic football pyramid.

"A European Super League will undermine the appeal of the whole game, and have a deeply damaging impact on the immediate and future prospects of the Premier League and its member clubs, and all those in football who rely on our funding and solidarity to prosper.

"We will work with fans, The FA, EFL, PFA and LMA, as well as other stakeholders, at home and abroad, to defend the integrity and future prospects of English football in the best interests of the game."

UEFA: We will prevent Euro league from happening

UEFA has robustly condemned the plans being discussed by some of the continent's elite clubs, stressing that Europe's top national football governing bodies and leagues will remain united in opposing the "cynical" initiative, and will use all methods available to them, including legal action, to prevent the scheme from being put into practice.

European football's governing body also stipulates that teams involved in such a league would not be allowed to participate in other "domestic, European or world level" competitions and that players may be stopped from representing their countries.

A full statement read: "UEFA, the English Football Association and the Premier League, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) and LaLiga, and the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) and Lega Serie A have learned that a few English, Spanish and Italian clubs may be planning to announce their creation of a closed, so-called Super League.

"If this were to happen, we wish to reiterate that we - UEFA, the English FA, RFEF, FIGC, the Premier League, LaLiga, Lega Serie A, but also FIFA and all our member associations - will remain united in our efforts to stop this cynical project, a project that is founded on the self-interest of a few clubs at a time when society needs solidarity more than ever.

"We will consider all measures available to us, at all levels, both judicial and sporting in order to prevent this happening. Football is based on open competitions and sporting merit; it cannot be any other way.

"As previously announced by FIFA and the six Federations, the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in and other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams.

"We thank those clubs in other countries, especially the French and German clubs, who have refused to sign up to this. We call on all lovers of football, supporters and politicians, to join us in fighting against such a project if it were to be announced. This persistent self-interest of a few has been going on for too long. Enough is enough."

A new 36-team Champions League format from 2024 is set for final approval by UEFA's executive committee on Monday.

A decision had initially been expected on March 31 but was delayed due to some clubs within the European Club Association seeking a greater say on commercial matters for the new competition.

However, meetings of the ECA board and of UEFA's club competitions committee on Friday have cleared the way for the new format to be rubber-stamped. It is understood the differences which led to the first delay have been set aside rather than resolved.

The expanded format is a cause of concern for the Premier League and many other European domestic competitions, while fans' groups wrote an open letter to ECA chairman Andrea Agnelli criticising it on Friday morning.

European football's governing body will also make a final decision on host venues for Euro 2020, with Bilbao, Dublin and Munich the three yet to be confirmed of the original 12.

The Champions League executive committee will vote on whether to do away with the current group system - where 32 teams are split into eight pools of four - and replace it with one 36-team league.

Each team plays 10 matches on a seeded basis - four more than in the current group phase - in a so-called 'Swiss model', previously described as "ideal" by Agnelli in part because it allows the flexibility to add even more matches in the future.

The new format takes the Champions League from 125 to 225 matches, which would create a huge headache for domestic schedulers. EFL chairman Rick Parry says it would be a "major threat" to the Carabao Cup and the Football Association also wrote to UEFA to express its concerns.

The encroachment of the competition into January - usually kept free for domestic club football - is understood to be another concern for the Premier League.

The league's top eight would qualify automatically for the last-16 knockout stage, with the teams finishing ninth and 24th playing off for the remaining eight places.

The allocation of two of the extra four places to sides based on previous European performance has also proved controversial.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...x-english-teams-involved-sky-news-understands

As a Liverpool fan, Im against this proposal.

The greatest sporting league is the Premier League, this nonsense would pretty much ruin this great brand.

FIFA have said any players playing in such a league cannot play in the FIFA tournaments.

No way. The beauty of European ties is the rarity and big-game feel of them, they don't feel like just any other game against Crystal Palace or something like that.

On top of that, scrapping national league football would be a farce, the Premier League and smaller teams getting to play against big teams is what keeps them afloat and the potential upsets are the beauty of league football. This is a purely money making scheme, and will cause financial ruin for the rest of the clubs, on top of ruining the football itself anyway.

This was only going to be a matter of time.

Whispers have been there for years and it's a case of the rich wanting to get richer.

Gary Neville:

"I'm not against the modernisation of football competitions, we have the Premier League, we have the Champions League. But to bring forward proposals in the midst of COVID, in the midst of the economic crisis that exists for all clubs is an absolute scandal.

"United and the rest of the big six clubs that have signed up to it against the rest of the Premier League should be ashamed of themselves.

"European Super League? Are Arsenal in that? They have just drawn with Fulham, Manchester United are drawing with Burnley. I cannot concentrate on the game. To sign up to the Super League during a season is a joke, they should deduct points off all six of them."

This would be ridiculous, hopefully it doesn't happen. This would just concentrate the revenues and power to a few elite clubs. It would would remove the uniqueness and beauty of European football. Teams like Ajax, Porto and Lyon have progressed to the latter stages of the UCL in recent years, so they are competitive enough. Even if you disregard the morals/finances of the league, the quality would get stale after a while. Thankfully, all the federations have opposed it and threaten sanctions if it does go through.

Uefa and the Premier League have strongly condemned 12 major European clubs, including the 'big six' from England, signing up to a breakaway European Super League.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham are part of the group.

La Liga's Atletico Madrid, Barcelona and Real Madrid and Serie A's AC Milan, Inter Milan and Juventus are involved.

Uefa said it will use "all measures" possible to stop the "cynical project".

Senior figures at European football's governing body are furious about the proposals.

None of the clubs involved have commented yet but it is thought a statement is likely to be released later on Sunday.

BBC Sport was told last week of plans for some sort of confirmation about a European Super League.

Uefa had hoped to head off plans with a new-look 36-team Champions League set to be confirmed on Monday.

The European governing body released a joint statement together with the English Football Association, Premier League, Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), La Liga, and the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) as well as Serie A, on Sunday.

They said they will "remain united" in trying to stop the breakaway, using both judicial and sporting measures if required.

They also reiterated Fifa's stance that players taking part in the Super League would be banned from all other competitions at domestic, European or world level and could be prevented from representing their national teams.

In a separate statement, the Premier League said it condemned the proposal as it "attacks the principles of open competition and sporting merit which are at the heart" of domestic and European football.

The UK government also criticised the plans, with Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden saying in a statement "we are concerned this plan could create a closed shop at the very top of our national game".

He added: "We have a football pyramid where funds from the globally successful Premier League flow down the leagues and into local communities.

"I would be bitterly disappointed to see any action that destroys that."

Juventus owner Andrea Agnelli, Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward and AC Milan chief executive Ivan Gazidis would all have had a significant input into the Champions League discussions on Friday.

However, those clubs are among those to have broken ranks, to the fury of Uefa, whose president Aleksander Ceferin wanted to stave off a Super League threat.

The Premier League said a European Super League would "destroy" the dream of fans that "their team may climb to the top and play against the best".

It added such a league would "undermine the appeal of the whole game" and that they would work with the FA, the English Football League, Professional Footballers' Association (PFA), League Managers Association (LMA) and fans to "defend the integrity and future prospects of English football".

The FA said it will "not provide permission to any competition that would be damaging to English football" and will "take any legal and/or regulatory action necessary" to stop it.

Bundesliga sides are opposed to the plans because the German model means commercial investors cannot have more than a 49% stake in clubs, so fans hold a majority of their own voting rights.

It is understood French Ligue 1 side Paris St-Germain are not part of the group.

Uefa said it thanked "those clubs in other countries, especially the French and German clubs, who have refused to sign up" to the breakaway league.

"We call on all lovers of football, supporters and politicians, to join us in fighting against such a project if it were to be announced," they added.

"This persistent self-interest of a few has been going on for too long. Enough is enough."

Quite when the European Super League would start is unclear.

However, world governing body Fifa has already said it would not recognise such a competition and any players involved in it would be denied the chance to play at a World Cup.

Serie A has called an emergency board meeting to discuss the matter.

The Football Supporters' Association said it is "totally opposed" to the plans, which it said were "motivated by nothing but cynical greed".

They added: "This competition is being created behind our backs by billionaire club owners who have zero regard for the game's traditions and continue to treat football as their personal fiefdom."

The PFA said it had "substantial concerns" about the proposal, adding it would "detract from the strength and joy of domestic football and diminish the game for the vast majority of fans across the continent".

France's President Emmanuel Macron said he "welcomes the position of French clubs to refuse to participate" in a European Super League "that threatens the principle of solidarity and sporting merit."

A statement from the French presidency added: "The French state will support all the steps taken by the LFP [France's professional leagues governing body], FFF [France's football association], Uefa and Fifa to protect the integrity of federal competitions, whether national or European."

It has been agreed the new-look Champions League will involve an initial phase where every club plays 10 matches each rather than the current group phase.

In addition there would be play-offs, followed by a knockout phase.

The most controversial aspect of the proposals surround the allocation of the four additional places, with two being reserved for the clubs ranked highest in Uefa's co-efficient table who fail to qualify for the Champions League through their domestic competition, but do secure some kind of European football.

At the moment, Liverpool and Chelsea would be the clubs who benefited from that system if it was in place this season.

'An absolute disgrace'
Former Manchester United captain Gary Neville said he is "absolutely disgusted" by the plans.

"I'm a Manchester United fan and have been for 40 years," Neville, who also co-owns League Two club Salford City, told Sky Sports. "It's an absolute disgrace.

"Honestly, we have to wrestle back the power in this country from the clubs at the top of this league and that includes my club."

The former England defender said the six English clubs involved should be docked points and fined.

"It's pure greed," Neville said. "They're [the club's owners] imposters.

"They're nothing to do with football in this country. There's 100-odd years of history in this country of fans who have lived and loved these clubs.

"We're in the middle of a pandemic and an economic crisis. Football clubs in the (semi-professional) National League are going bust, furloughing players and these lot are having Zoom calls about breaking away.

"Dock them all points tomorrow. Put them at the bottom of the league and take the money off them. Seriously. You have to stamp on this."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56794673

Its a silly plan because, big clubs playing twice a year is just going to kill the hype around it.

Plans for a European super league would be very damaging for football and "we support football authorities in taking action", says Boris Johnson.

The prime minister tweeted that the proposals "would strike at the heart of the domestic game, and will concern fans across the country".

He added: "The clubs involved must answer to their fans and the wider footballing community before taking any further steps."

Six English teams are expected to be part of plans for the breakaway European super league, with an announcement due soon, Sky News understands.

Among the English clubs involved are Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Sky News' City editor Mark Kleinman said: "My understanding is that 12 clubs from across Europe including the six biggest English clubs have now signed up to this new format.

"The others include Barcelona, Juventus and Real Madrid."

The project is being launched to rival UEFA's Champions League format which currently dominates European football.

The developments come as UEFA itself was due to sign off on its own plans for an expanded and restructured Champions League on Monday.

UEFA, the FA, and the Premier League as well as football authorities in Spain and Italy have expressed their opposition to a breakaway European super league.

In a joint statement they said they "remain united in our efforts to stop this cynical project", adding: "We thank those clubs in other countries, especially the French and German clubs, who have refused to sign up to this.

"This persistent self-interest of a few has been going on for too long. Enough is enough."

The Premier League's chief executive Richard Masters has written to all 20 clubs in England's top division to state that "this venture cannot be launched without English clubs and we call upon any club contemplating associating themselves or joining this venture to walk away immediately before irreparable damage is done".

Speaking about the developments, former Manchester United defender Gary Neville told Sky Sports: "I'm not against the modernisation of football competitions, we have the Premier League, the Champions League, but I think to bring forward proposals in the midst of COVID and the economic crisis for all clubs is an absolute scandal.

"United and the rest of the 'Big Six' that have signed up to it against the rest of the Premier League should be ashamed of themselves."

Neville added: "They should deduct six points off all six teams that have signed up to it. Deduct points off them all. To do it during a season? It's a joke."

The move to create a rival league is being seen by some in football as a surprise after the European Club Association (ECA), which represents 246 of the continent's leading clubs, gave their backing to UEFA's reforms.

UEFA has proposed an increase to 36 from 32 teams in the Champions League, and an overhaul of the group stage into a single table rather than the current groups of four clubs.

Teams would play 10 matches each in the group stage rather than the six they currently play and a playoff round would also be introduced before the last 16.

There have been reports of a plan for a breakaway league for a number of years and the speculation returned in January with several media reports that a document had been produced outlining the plans for a 20-team league.

Those reports led FIFA and UEFA to warn they would ban any players involved in a breakaway from playing in the World Cup or European Championship.

https://news.sky.com/story/european...ging-for-football-says-boris-johnson-12279818

Ridiculous.

This idea will just kill the beautiful game of football where the richest clubs in the world will keep playing against each other several times, thus killing the excitement we witness usually before a big game.

Moreover, this will be the end of the greatest sport competition in the world (the UCL), where teams like Everton and Marseille will be playing the finals whereas the likes of Barca and Madrid will be playing each other every other week-end in that circus that is called the European Super League.

OFFICIAL RELEASE: THE MAIN EUROPEAN FOOTBALL CLUBS ANNOUNCE THE NEW SUPERLEAGUE

Twelve of the most important football clubs in Europe today announce that they have reached an agreement to form a new competition, the Super League, governed by their Founding Clubs.

AC Milan, Arsenal FC, Atlético de Madrid, Chelsea FC, FC Barcelona, ​​FC Internazionale Milano, Juventus FC, Liverpool FC, Manchester City, Manchester United, Real Madrid CF and Tottenham Hotspur they have joined as Founding Clubs. Three more clubs will be invited to join before the inaugural season which will start as soon as possible.

Looking ahead, the Founding Clubs look forward to holding discussions with UEFA and FIFA seeking the best solutions for the Super League and for world football as a whole.

The creation of the new League occurs when the global pandemic has accelerated the instability of the current economic model of European football. For years, the Founding Clubs have aimed to improve the quality and intensity of existing European competitions and, in particular, to create a tournament in which the best clubs and players can compete against each other more frequently.

The pandemic has revealed that a strategic vision and a commercial approach are necessary to increase the value and aid for the benefit of the football pyramid as a whole. In recent months there has been an intense dialogue with the governing bodies on the future format of European competitions. The Founding Clubs believe that the solutions proposed by the regulators do not solve the fundamental questions, which are both the need to offer higher quality matches, and to obtain additional financial resources for the entire world of football.

Competition format
-20 clubs will participate, the 15 Founding Clubs and an additional five teams that will be classified annually based on the performance of the previous season;

-All matches will be played during the week, all clubs will continue to compete in their respective national leagues, thus preserving the traditional calendar that is at the center of club life;

-The season will begin in August with the participation of the clubs in two groups of ten, which will play round-trip matches; The top three from each group will automatically qualify for the quarterfinals. Teams finishing fourth and fifth will play an additional two-legged playoff. Subsequently, two-party playoffs will be played from the quarters to reach the final, which will be played as a single game, at the end of May, in a neutral venue.

As soon as possible after the start of the men's competition, the corresponding women's league will be launched, which will contribute to the advancement and development of women's football.

This new annual tournament will provide significantly higher economic growth, which will allow to support European football through a long-term commitment, that contributions to solidarity grow in line with the income of the new European league. Solidarity payments will be higher than those currently generated by the European competition system and are expected to exceed € 10 billion over the Clubs' commitment period. On the other hand, the new competition will be built with financial criteria of sustainability, since all the Founding Clubs commit to adopt a spending framework. In exchange for their commitment, the Founding Clubs will collectively receive a one-time payment of 3.

Florentino Pérez, President of Real Madrid CF and President of the Superliga, said:

"We are going to help football at all levels to take its rightful place in the world. Football is the only global sport in the world with more than 4,000 million fans and our responsibility as big clubs is to respond to the wishes of the fans. "

Supporting the new European league, Andrea Agnelli, President of Juventus and Vice President of the Super League said:

"Our 12 Founding Clubs represent billions of fans around the world. We have come together at this critical moment, so that European competition is transformed, giving the sport we love a foundation that is sustainable for the future, substantially increasing solidarity. and giving fans and amateur players a dream and top-quality matches that will fuel their passion for football. "

Joel Glazer, Manchester United Co-President and Super League Vice President, said:

"By bringing together the best clubs and players in the world to play against each other throughout the season, the Super League will open a new chapter for European football, ensuring first-rate competition and facilities, and greater financial support for the pyramid of football. football in general ".

Not sure why everyone is surprised or complaining. A game introduced by the middle working class, taking over by the elites - this has been the case in the society in other areas.

It was only a matter of time for the elites to take total control. Not sure why UEFA, FIFA and PL are complaining; they have commercialized football to their own benefit (ie ticket prices, tv channel rights dictating clubs’ schedule dates, FIFA’s corruption in awarding Qatar World cup, “sugar daddies” injecting tons of funds ie Chelsea, PSG and Manchester City etc)

The only issue is, it could been these “Super clubs” will be banned from UCL/PL. But with each club being awarded £350m+ for simply participating and with 15 clubs already signed up to this; I think it’s a bigger loss for FIFA/PL/UEFA.

I’m okay with this, and all those organizations complaining are nothing but hypocrites.

Not sure why everyone is surprised or complaining. A game introduced by the middle working class, taking over by the elites - this has been the case in the society in other areas.

It was only a matter of time for the elites to take total control. Not sure why UEFA, FIFA and PL are complaining; they have commercialized football to their own benefit (ie ticket prices, tv channel rights dictating clubs’ schedule dates, FIFA’s corruption in awarding Qatar World cup, “sugar daddies” injecting tons of funds ie Chelsea, PSG and Manchester City etc)

The only issue is, it could been these “Super clubs” will be banned from UCL/PL. But with each club being awarded £350m+ for simply participating and with 15 clubs already signed up to this; I think it’s a bigger loss for FIFA/PL/UEFA.

I’m okay with this, and all those organizations complaining are nothing but hypocrites.

All sports or society in general will mostly be controlled by the rich.

You're missing the point as to why people are upset, it's not due to elites taking over , which they already have.

The issue is this proposal will ruin the domestic leagues. You can still make a lot of money without while still respecting the foundations of the sport which are the domestic leagues.

Majority of fans are against this from all the clubs who have signed up, in the end people power will win.

It's going to be a high class competition. People will hate on it, raise hue and cry but will be glued to their TV sets watching every single minute of it.

I can't wait for it to start. Quality football will be on display.

And all this talk of banning is nothing but **. Can EPL survive without the big 6 or the big 3 in Spain and Italy? Ofcourse it can't. Can the world cup survive without Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez, Cavani, etc in it?
Ridiculous.

It's going to be a high class competition. People will hate on it, raise hue and cry but will be glued to their TV sets watching every single minute of it.

I can't wait for it to start. Quality football will be on display.

And all this talk of banning is nothing but **. Can EPL survive without the big 6 or the big 3 in Spain and Italy? Ofcourse it can't. Can the world cup survive without Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez, Cavani, etc in it?
Ridiculous.

I assure you i wouldn't watch a minute. The beauty that brought me to love football and made it what is would be finished and replaced by a model which is all about money.

I will be done with my club (Arsenal) if this happens. This isn't what football is about and i am embarrased that we are a part of this breakaway group.

All sports or society in general will mostly be controlled by the rich.

You're missing the point as to why people are upset, it's not due to elites taking over , which they already have.

The issue is this proposal will ruin the domestic leagues. You can still make a lot of money without while still respecting the foundations of the sport which are the domestic leagues.

Majority of fans are against this from all the clubs who have signed up, in the end people power will win.

Domestic leagues especially the Premier league has already been ruined enough though, it has been heavily commercialized since 2003. Fans would have no problem in their club being overtaken by a rich Arab or clubs finding loopholes around FFP in previous years but suddenly fans and organisations are talking about ethics, fairness? etc. Come on, where was this energy when likes of Chelsea/Man city were overtaken; where was this energy when PSG found their way around FFP to sign Neymar?

It will damage the traditional principles of the league but long gone are the days where loyalty and fundamentals mattered; football is all about making money, bitter but facts.

Many are saying now they won’t watch it, but they will.

UEFA/FIFA/PL can do one. The amount of statements, PR we have seen from them today - where was this energy for racial incidents? These lot are just as bad as American investors.

I’m looking forward to the Super-league. Can’t wait.

Last edited:
Is the main concern for fifa, pl and uefa that they are not going to make money if this happens ?

JP Morgan to finance breakaway Super League

A spokesman for JP Morgan said in an email that its involvement with the new league which has been set up as a rival to UEFA's Champions League and includes clubs such as Real Madrid and Manchester United.

JP Morgan on Monday said that it was financing the new breakaway Super League, announced by 12 of Europe's biggest soccer clubs on Sunday.

A spokesman for JP Morgan said in an email that its involvement with the new league which has been set up as a rival to UEFA's Champions League and includes clubs such as Real Madrid and Manchester United.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/sports/football/jp-morgan-to-finance-breakaway-super-league-101618818691307.html

All a bit like Packer cricket.

The one advantage I can see to this super league is that six teams will be thrown out of the Premiership leaving six spaces and Brentford will defo be promoted this time :))

The regulatory body Uefa and FIFA needs to show some spine here. These rich clubs only got rich through the model of Uefa and FIFA and now that they are rich they want to exercise their power on these regulatory bodies. It would be detrimental for numerous clubs across Europe. Imagine a club like Sevilla, Marseille, Leicester, etc suffering countless loss due to this league's formation and in effect might be the end of some small clubs.

This is like Big 3 in cricket where they continue to play each other and the development of sport has come to a halt. The Big 3 are rich enough and are exercising their power, its a similar model here. Speaking of cricket, IPL has now become powerful enough to host a year wide league in next 10 years which would effectively kill international cricket and funnily enough no one would be able to do anything about it.

Only purists care for sports rich only care to get richer. Ultimately its the fans that can make or break such decisions, if fans decide to diss on this super league then their riches are worthless but if fans flock to see this league then sport would die and rich would get richer.

Super League: Why are football's biggest clubs starting a new tournament?

Some of the world's biggest football clubs have agreed to join a new European Super League (ESL) that will rival the current Champions League competition, one of the biggest club tournaments in world football.

While the new ESL won't replace domestic leagues like England's Premier League and Spain's La Liga, the clubs that compete in it face the threat of being kicked out of their domestic leagues by Europe's football governing body.

Why are these big clubs doing this?
Money seems to be the driving force. The ESL says it will result in a greater distribution of revenue throughout the game.

Football club revenues have been hit hard by the Covid pandemic with disrupted fixtures and lack of spectators. Big clubs have superstar players with multi-million pound salaries that need to be paid.

"The formation of the Super League comes at a time when the global pandemic has accelerated the instability in the existing European football economic model," said a joint statement released by the 12 founding clubs on Sunday.

The new annual European tournament "will provide significantly greater economic growth and support for European football via a long-term commitment," the statement added.

It is offering "uncapped solidarity payments" to European football which will grow in line with league revenues. ESL says these will be "substantially higher than those generated by the current European competition and are expected to be in excess of €10bn (£8.6bn)" during the early stages.

What about domestic leagues?
Leagues like England's Premier League and Italy's Serie A have huge TV audiences across the globe. The fear is these may be weakened by the new ESL.

Uefa, Europe's governing football body, warned on Sunday that clubs involved in the ESL would be banned from all other competitions at domestic, European or world level and players could be also prevented from representing their national teams.

But the breakaway clubs are being enticed with big financial carrots that they have not been able to ignore as the pandemic continues to dent their revenues. Details of talks emerged last October involving Wall Street bank JP Morgan over the new £4.6bn competition.

The founding clubs will receive a share of €3.5bn "to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the Covid pandemic," ESL organisers said.

Juventus chairman and vice-chairman of the ESL Andrea Agnelli said the 12 clubs had "come together at this critical moment, enabling European competition to be transformed, putting the game we love on a sustainable footing for the long-term future".

While the big clubs from England's Premier League, Spain's La Liga and Italy's Serie A have signed up, France and Germany's top clubs have so far decided not to.

How will it work?
The European Super League will have 20 participating clubs - 15 founding ones with five other clubs qualifying each season.

The clubs will play in a new midweek competition with teams continuing to compete in their respective national leagues, the ESL was keen to stress.

Under the proposals, the ESL 20-team league would be split into two groups of 10, playing each other home and away.

The top three in each group would qualify for the quarter-finals, with the teams in fourth and fifth playing a two-legged play-off for the two remaining spots.

From then on, it would have the same two-leg knockout format used in the Champions League, with a final in May at a neutral venue.

The league plans to launch "as soon as practicable".

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56768728

People who back this as so called football fans are football fans in name only.

Joke of a league. No relegation and there'll be a playoff system in place. It's American style rubbish dictated by the greedy owners of the biggest clubs.

It will have a detrimental effect on domestic leagues and competitions. I won't be renewing my season ticket if this does go ahead as it looks like it will at this point.

I didnt think it would go through but it seems the clubs have made up their minds and now its pretty much inevitable. Thats what had to happen with so many overseas owners who see this as guaranteed income rather than the tribulations of a CL run to earn the big bucks

And all these threats from FA and UEFA, dont see them holding up. The Premier league and Spanish leagues can ill afford to be without the big clubs. It is what it is.

I fell out of love with football a few years ago and this is another reason why it'll stay that way.

The playing field has become grossly uneven between an array of Arab oil sheikhs, American hedge fund owners and Russian oligarchs - and everybody else. The Domestic and Champions League winners are always from a select few clubs with extremely rare exceptions. Now they want to tilt the balance further in their favour with this cash grab.

They're not even attempting to sell it to the fans either ! Apparently some of those involved in ESL refer to traditional supporters as "legacy fans" in contrast to the "fans of the future" who'll presumably watch this spectacle.

Those fans are like the ones in cricket who don't care about the Big 3 playing each other non-stop because of the "quality".

I fell out of love with football a few years ago and this is another reason why it'll stay that way.

The playing field has become grossly uneven between an array of Arab oil sheikhs, American hedge fund owners and Russian oligarchs - and everybody else. The Domestic and Champions League winners are always from a select few clubs with extremely rare exceptions. Now they want to tilt the balance further in their favour with this cash grab.

They're not even attempting to sell it to the fans either ! Apparently some of those involved in ESL refer to traditional supporters as "legacy fans" in contrast to the "fans of the future" who'll presumably watch this spectacle.

Those fans are like the ones in cricket who don't care about the Big 3 playing each other non-stop because of the "quality".

they are quite right. These major clubs don't rely on people flocking to the stadiums. Merchandise sales and streams etc from casual fans is what makes them money.

I'm like you, I stopped watching club football a while ago as you really are just cheering on a company rather than a club. This is just the final nail in the coffin. Man utd and arsenal have been shocking for a while and the fact that they get direct entry into this league is scandalous.

People who back this as so called football fans are football fans in name only.

Joke of a league. No relegation and there'll be a playoff system in place. It's American style rubbish dictated by the greedy owners of the biggest clubs.

It will have a detrimental effect on domestic leagues and competitions. I won't be renewing my season ticket if this does go ahead as it looks like it will at this point.

Sounds a bit like the IPL

Ridiculous timing aswell. I imagine they wanted to get in before the champions league revamp but what incentive do these teams now have to aim for a top 4 finish?

Again, I'm not a massive football fan but to those who watch it avidly, in your eyes is the league not essentially null and void ?

This will be the new normal

Just like cricket has a new normal with the big 3

Ridiculous timing aswell. I imagine they wanted to get in before the champions league revamp but what incentive do these teams now have to aim for a top 4 finish?

Again, I'm not a massive football fan but to those who watch it avidly, in your eyes is the league not essentially null and void ?

Well it is all null and void to me now.

The Premier League and the Champions League are very successful products. I can see why Real and Barca would want to be a part of it as their debts are mounting. Barca are in big trouble financially.

I have to say kudos to PSG and the German clubs at this point (their position could change). The key thing with the German clubs is that the fans own 51% of the club so it would be a lot more difficult for them to join unless the fans wanted them to.

It’s an absolute disgrace. These Americans are ruining football. In their sports, they have no concept of relegation and promotion. Just look at Major League Soccer. It’s a crap league. I can’t stand these American owners, especially the Glazers.

And who are the top 6 clubs and who decides which clubs should be in the top 6? Tottenham haven’t won a league title since the early 1960s. They have won a total of 2 trophies in the last 30 years and none since 2008. They aren’t in the Champions League this season and won’t be next season. Yet they wanna be in this European super league. Arsenal haven’t been won the league since 2004. They haven’t qualified for the champions league in the last 5 years. Last season, they finished 8th and this season they aren’t going to finish any higher. They are a mid table club now, but they wanna be part of this farcical league amongst the big boys. My club Man United haven’t won the league since 2013. They aren’t in the champions league at the moment, but they feel they belong in this super league. This is an absolute disgraceful day for football.

This is an absolute slap in the face of teams like Everton, who are a bigger club than both Tottenham and Man City with a far richer history. Teams like Leicester who won the league more recently than Man United, Arsenal and Tottenham. Why aren’t they considered part of the ‘big 6’? How about teams like Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa that have won the European Cup? Something that Man City, Arsenal and Tottenham have never done.

UEFA needs to punish these teams. Man City and Chelsea are in the semi finals of Champions League. Arsenal and Man United are in the SFs of the Europa League. These teams need to be kicked out of these competitions. If they wanna join their own European super league, they shouldn’t be allowed to compete in CL and EL and potentially win them.

These rich greedy owners have destroyed football. Football used to be a game for working class. Now it’s become a game for the rich elitist. There is no connection between fans and football club anymore. Fans have been taken advantage of for so long. Now it’s time for fans of all clubs to unite and not let these greedy owners get away with this.

A super league with no promotion or relegation, based completely on invitation and not merit. Some elite competition.

Leicester have won more league titles than Arsenal in the last 17 years, and more than in Spurs' history. Teams like Leicester, Everton, West Ham, Aston Villa attempting to rise to the top and into elite European places on merit, as they have this season, will be kicked back down to the ground, so 9th place Arsenal can get whipped 5-0 every week.

These clubs, who's success is centred on domestic success, will abandon/disregard these leagues and leave all those other domestic clubs in the dust and in financial ruin, because their owner billionaires who have never watched a football game in their life can line their pockets a bit more.

Ordinary fans have already been priced out in recent times of watching their teams, and now on top of that you need a plane ticket and a hotel room all across Europe every other week to follow your club? The away end of each match will be half tourist.

The novelty will wear off after one or two seasons. There's a reason the World Cup happens once every 4 years, and why heavyweight knock-out European ties feel so momentous and special. A PSG-Bayern match loses a lot of shine if it happens 4 times a year. That's what frustrates me. So much of the soul, excitement and build up of elite football will be sucked out, and eventually watching Arsenal vs Inter Milan every year in a league will be like watching Malaga vs Athletic Bilbao.

This was inevitable and been mooted around for a long time.

I don't think they will be able to stop it.

And at the end of the day money talks and this will be an elite league , so players will definetky play money talks

AC Milan:
No league title since 2011.

Inter:
No league title since 2010.

Juventus:
4th in Serie A.

Atletico:
No league title since 2014.

Arsenal:
No league title since 2004.

Chelsea:
5th in the PL.

Man Utd:
No league title since 2013.

Spurs:
:inti

The European Super League. As long as your owners are rich and you've been successful in the past, you may participate.

Breakaway European Super League a 'spit in the face of football lovers', UEFA chief says

Plans for a breakaway European Super League are a "spit in the face of all football lovers", the president of UEFA has said.

Aleksandr Ceferin said players at the 12 clubs setting up their own midweek league, including Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham, will be banned from international competitions, such as the World Cup.

The other 'founding clubs' who have signed up are Italy's AC Milan, Inter Milan and Juventus, and Atletico Madrid, Barcelona and Real Madrid of Spain, with three others anticipated to join ahead of the inaugural season.

There has been widespread criticism of the new plans from fans, former players, managers and governing bodies, who have warned it will "devalue" existing club leagues and competitions and have a devastating impact on grassroots football.

Speaking after an emergency meeting of European football's governing body, Ceferin launched a scathing attack on the proposals.

The new competition is a rival to UEFA's established Champions League format which currently dominates European football.

Ceferin said: "UEFA and the footballing world stand united against the disgraceful self-serving proposal we have seen in the last 24 hours from a select few clubs in Europe that are fuelled purely by greed.

"The players who will play in the teams that might be playing in the closed league will be banned from playing the World Cup, and so they will not be able to represent the national teams at any matches.

"In my opinion, this idea is a spit in the face of all football lovers, and our society as well. So we will not allow them to take it away from us."

He added: "It is not just football, societies and governments across Europe are united, we are all united against this nonsense of a project.

"We have English FA, Spanish and Italian federations, FIFA, all 55 member associations unanimous in opposition against these cynical plans.

"Our sport has become greatest based on sporting merit and we cannot allow that to change, we will not ever."

https://news.sky.com/story/breakawa...e-of-football-lovers-uefa-chief-says-12280398

Manchester United do not believe the Premier League will have the nerve to ban them and fellow rebel European Super League clubs.

United view the Premier League's threat to expel those teams who have formed the breakaway ESL as a hollow one that is ultimately not legally enforceable.

The belief at United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham – six of the 12 founding members of the ESL - is that the Premier League could not survive without its biggest clubs.

“What would the Premier League look like without those six clubs next season?” said once ESL source when asked about the Premier League's threat to ban clubs who take part in the breakaway league.

That is why the six English clubs are confident they can push ahead with the ESL – which could be launched as early as next season – and still retain their domestic interest in the Premier League.

The 12 clubs who have founded the ESL have taken legal advice and are confident there is no basis in EU law for banning a new competition such as the ESL.

The rebel group were warned in a joint statement from groups including the Premier League, FA and UEFA that sanctions, including being banned from all domestic and European competitions, would be imposed on the ESL clubs.

But such is the belief in their own power and standing within European football, in particular their commercial pull in terms of TV rights, that any attempt to ban them from domestic competition, such as the Premier League, would ultimately fail.

United's stance is that the ESL will be a significant upgrade on the current Champions League format, pitting the biggest teams with the best players against each other on a regular basis.

The view of those clubs who have formed the ESL is that the Champions League does not get interesting until the big sides meet in the latter stages, particularly with regard to TV audience numbers, which is something they aim to address with the formation of the elite league.

The ESL will also, it is claimed by those clubs behind it, create a more sustainable financial model for the European football pyramid, which will see larger solidarity payments for the rest of the game.

The founding members of the ESL are promising £10billion in solidarity payments, which is understood to be around three times more than the amount generated by the current Champions League format.

While United and other clubs involved in the ESL acknowledge the depth of feeling towards the seismic change in European football, there is a confidence it will be accepted after the initial reaction, just as it was with the launch of the Premier League in 1992 and the restructuring of the Champions League.

Those clubs involved in the ESL insist it is not a breakaway league, as its midweek format allows for domestic league and cup competitions to continue at weekends.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-utd-confident-wont-kicked-23941690

Absolute joke. Turning football into soulless american franxhises

I'm absolutely horrified with this.

We've gone down the franchise/IPL route with no promotion/demotion.
I can't believe my club Arsenal have signed up to this.

Will this really happen or is this just the big teams trying to put themselves in a stronger position when re-negotiating their share of revenues from UEFA?

Will this really happen or is this just the big teams trying to put themselves in a stronger position when re-negotiating their share of revenues from UEFA?

I think they already did that.
From next year their share was going up quiet a lot.

Also, seems a very strange ploy. You don't go all in from the get go.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp remains opposed to the idea of a European Super League despite his club agreeing to join it.

The Reds are one of 12 clubs to agree to join a new ESL in a seismic move for European football.

In 2019 Klopp told Kicker he hoped there would never be a Super League.

Asked about the plan by Sky Sports before the Premier League game with Leeds, he said: "My feelings didn't change. My opinion didn't change."

Fans of several clubs protested outside Elland Road - including burning a Liverpool shirt - while Reds fans displayed banners opposing the move at Anfield.

A plane flew over Leeds' ground saying 'No to Super League' and United players wore T-shirts saying 'Earn it' next to the Champions League logo and 'Football is for the fans'.

Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin has said clubs and players involved with the ESL could be banned "as soon as possible" from all Uefa competitions - and the World Cup.

Klopp continued: "People are not happy with it, I can understand it. I can't say a lot more because we were not involved in the process - not the players, not me - we didn't know about it. We will have to wait how it develops.

"I like the competitive aspect of football. I like that West Ham might play in the Champions League. I don't want them to, because we want to, but I like they have the chance."

Klopp said he did not want his players to be blamed for a boardroom decision.

"I've heard a few things but what I really don't like, Liverpool Football Club is much more than some decisions," he said.

"The most important part of football are the supporters and the team. We have to make sure nothing gets between that. I've heard there are banners but the players didn't do anything wrong. We have to all stick together."

Leeds boss Marcelo Bielsa was also critical in his pre-match interview with Sky Sports.

"The fundamental problem is the rich always aspire to be more rich without considering the consequences for the rest. As they gain more power they start demanding more privilege over the rest," he said.

"What makes competition great is the possibility for one of those weak teams to develop, not the big teams playing each other."

PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor said the Super League idea had been mooted for some time but was "the last thing the game needs".

"It is a little bit of a ticking time bomb that we have," Taylor told BBC Sport. "You have renegade members who run riot. That causes a massive problem for the vast majority of clubs or you look to try and control it.

"It is a real test for Uefa, Fifa and our Football Association and also it is something that you need to be able to win over, because we are an entertainment industry, the players are important as are the fans and you can't just have a cavalier attitude and ignore it, or it will come back and bite you."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56809771

This is a complete disaster if it happens. Football will never be the same, it'll be the same boring league with no soul, likely eventually put in places like the US and China for maximum $$$. Clubs left in their own domestic leagues (assuming the PL doesn't fold to their billionaire overlords) will rot and the football pyramid in England will be on fire.

There's no sympathy from me for the PL/FIFA/UEFA, they aren't losing their minds because they care about the sport, they're upset that they're losing their profits. Choosing between supporting the European plastic league and these organisations is like choosing between two different types of poison, there's no good guys here, just hypocrisy and greed. Gotta love Neville ranting about this on Sky or Ferdinand on BT, almost like Sky and BT aren't hurting the sport just as much throughout the years.

It'll be pretty dystopian if everyone puts their foot down, essentially nuclear fallout in the footballing world. The PL will be a shell of what it once was as a product without the big 6, the WC + Euros will have none of the top players within it, and the Super League will be left to rake in the cash, leaving "legacy" fans and lower league clubs behind.

Whether this will happen or not is yet to be seen, but as a Chelsea fan I find it disgusting. What's the point in the players + staff working hard to get to a cup final, UCL semis or fight for top 4 when it's all meaningless? We could essentially be disqualified from these competitions at any second after burning these bridges, and whether we make the top 4 or not isn't important when we're tucked in safely in this super league with no relegation. The club statement has no club face attached to it, and has one of the United shareholders quotes on it, nothing from our end.

It's a big middle finger to the fans, the players and the staff. They don't care about me or anyone who regularly goes to games, they've called us legacy fans and want to look towards the plastics who will fuel their greed in the future. If this happens, I don't think I'll care to watch Football no longer. Chelsea should be sent back to the bottom of the football league, alongside the other 5, and the clubs should be striped of their titles. If the owners don't care about the fans, the tradition or history of the club, they should be treated in a way that is appropriate for that.

If this goes through then RIP to football to the common man, with the prawn sandwich brigade at these Greed driven clubs the winners. Alot of my fellow united fans will boycott these pathetic glazers.

This is a complete disaster if it happens. Football will never be the same, it'll be the same boring league with no soul, likely eventually put in places like the US and China for maximum $$$. Clubs left in their own domestic leagues (assuming the PL doesn't fold to their billionaire overlords) will rot and the football pyramid in England will be on fire.

There's no sympathy from me for the PL/FIFA/UEFA, they aren't losing their minds because they care about the sport, they're upset that they're losing their profits. Choosing between supporting the European plastic league and these organisations is like choosing between two different types of poison, there's no good guys here, just hypocrisy and greed. Gotta love Neville ranting about this on Sky or Ferdinand on BT, almost like Sky and BT aren't hurting the sport just as much throughout the years.

It'll be pretty dystopian if everyone puts their foot down, essentially nuclear fallout in the footballing world. The PL will be a shell of what it once was as a product without the big 6, the WC + Euros will have none of the top players within it, and the Super League will be left to rake in the cash, leaving "legacy" fans and lower league clubs behind.

Whether this will happen or not is yet to be seen, but as a Chelsea fan I find it disgusting. What's the point in the players + staff working hard to get to a cup final, UCL semis or fight for top 4 when it's all meaningless? We could essentially be disqualified from these competitions at any second after burning these bridges, and whether we make the top 4 or not isn't important when we're tucked in safely in this super league with no relegation. The club statement has no club face attached to it, and has one of the United shareholders quotes on it, nothing from our end.

It's a big middle finger to the fans, the players and the staff. They don't care about me or anyone who regularly goes to games, they've called us legacy fans and want to look towards the plastics who will fuel their greed in the future. If this happens, I don't think I'll care to watch Football no longer. Chelsea should be sent back to the bottom of the football league, alongside the other 5, and the clubs should be striped of their titles. If the owners don't care about the fans, the tradition or history of the club, they should be treated in a way that is appropriate for that.

No way will Fifa ban the players. Its just a bluff.

I can understand why the more serious fans of Football will be upset about this. However the casual fan does not care about Burnley vs Brighton. They would rather see Real Madrid vs Manchester United a couple of times a year.

The casual fan is the majority. The die hards, the most passionate, the most loyal fans are a minority. So the Super League will have a big following.

Tbf. The premier league suffers the most because it truly is a tough, competitive league.

I think Real Madrid and Barcelona are the ones that are the biggest benefactors from this league. They were yearning for more Category A fixtures considering how poor their league is.

Bayern and PSG may also follow

Tbf. The premier league suffers the most because it truly is a tough, competitive league.

I think Real Madrid and Barcelona are the ones that are the biggest benefactors from this league. They were yearning for more Category A fixtures considering how poor their league is.

Bayern and PSG may also follow

Its good for the Big 6 in the Premier League. Unlike PSG, RM, Barcelona, Bayern, they have a tough competition to qualify for the champions league. Those other teams qualify every year.

Its good for the Big 6 in the Premier League. Unlike PSG, RM, Barcelona, Bayern, they have a tough competition to qualify for the champions league. Those other teams qualify every year.

Exactly.

I think league football in general still has its importance because all the big teams will still need a market to sign players from, and the weaker teams will want a piece of the cake whilst trying to sell Players to EsL clubs

Someone like Jack Grealish might now be worth £300M to Manchester United :)))

No way is this a good idea. If the EPL loses all it's top teams then it is the end off it as well. No point in the Champions League either when all top European clubs regularly play each other.

This was only going to be a matter of time.

Whispers have been there for years and it's a case of the rich wanting to get richer.

lol you predicted this 15 years ago.

Well UEFA has brought upon it's own demise with this continuing watering down of the Champions League.

Watch out because FIFA and World Cup will be the next casualty.

The PM will host a meeting of officials from football governing bodies the FA and the Premier League, as well as fans' representatives, later to discuss the proposed European Super League.

Boris Johnson described the new league, which includes six leading English clubs, as "ludicrous".

The 12 founding members of the league face a fierce backlash after unveiling proposals for a breakaway tournament.

One insisted they were doing it to "save football".

Real Madrid President Florentino Perez said the decision to create the new league, which his club would be a part of, was in part taken because "young people are no longer interested" in the game.

He told a Spanish TV show: "Audiences are decreasing and rights are decreasing and something had to be done. We are all ruined. Television has to change so we can adapt."

The 14 Premier League clubs not participating in the new venture are also due to discuss their response later.

Fans and pundits have expressed fury at what they say would be an unfair competition that would lock many teams out of top European football.

The proposed league - which has been described as a football "closed shop" by a government minister - has united MPs from every party against it.

Under the plans - revealed on Sunday - the 12 founding football clubs would be permanent members and never face relegation.

Critics say the new league could supplant the existing Champions League and disrupt the current football "pyramid" that sees teams rise or fall on merit.

'It's your game'
Writing in the Sun, the prime minister said he was "horrified" at the implications for clubs across the country.

In a direct message to fans, he said: "It is your game - and you can rest assured that I'm going to do everything I can to give this ludicrous plan a straight red."

Labour's shadow sports minister Alison McGovern urged the UK's competitions watchdog to investigate, describing the plans as "nothing short of an attempt to stitch up competition for a few elite clubs at the top".

And on Monday, the Duke of Cambridge, who is president of the Football Association, said he shared fans' concerns about "the damage it risks causing to the game we love".

Meanwhile, the president of European football's governing body Uefa, Aleksander Ceferin, warned players who play for teams in the ESL that they would be "banned from the World Cup and the Euros".

Sky Sports confirmed it had not "not been involved in any discussions" about the breakaway league.

"We are completely focused on supporting our long term football partners in the UK and in Europe," the broadcaster said.

BBC

Last edited:
Gotta love Neville ranting about this on Sky or Ferdinand on BT, almost like Sky and BT aren't hurting the sport just as much throughout the years.
Indeed and it's worth recalling the Premier League itself was a breakaway league - much like now the Big Clubs split from the English Football League in 1992.

Now it didn't abandon promotion and relegation, but it created the boom that's responsible for the hyperinflated salaries and TV rights we see today.

I echo your words as a felloe Blue. Pretty frustrated with the decision. However I don't agree that all world class players will miss out if Fifa uphold it's ban. Bayern and PSG are still not budging so are several other clubs . Even in domestics Leicester, Everton, Porto, Lyon, Ajax have tons of world class players and talents, so it's a wrong statement that these twelve clubs have all the class players. Nothing against Arsenal but other than Auba who is WC in that team? Other than Kane and Son who is world claas in current form in Tottenham? Same goes for Milan. So it's not that straightforward how these 12 clubs will like all to believe.

FIFA President on super league: “There is no doubt of FIFA’s disapproval. FIFA is here and I am here today as FIFA President to bring full support to European football, to UEFA, the 55 member associations of UEFA and of FIFA, to the leagues, clubs, players and to the fans."

FIFA President at UEFA Congress: “At FIFA we can only and strongly disapprove the creation of the super league, which is a closed shop, which is a breakaway from the current institutions, from the leagues, from the associations, from UEFA and from FIFA.”

One monopoly is being replaced by another. The gap between the elite and other smaller clubs will widen more.

Football was not dying. It's the elitism and greed that is driving Perez and co. forward.

But it was inevitable.

Last edited:
The European Super League was created "to save football", says Real Madrid president Florentino Perez.

Real are one of the 12 European clubs who have signed up to the breakaway league and intend to establish a new midweek competition.

Perez said the move had been made because young people are "no longer interested in football" because of "a lot of poor quality games".

"Whenever there is change, there are always people who oppose it," he said.

Fifa boss 'strongly disapproves' of ESL plans as Everton criticise clubs for 'preposterous arrogance'

Alan Shearer says the proposed European Super League is "plain and simply wrong"
The English 'big six' of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham have agreed to join the new league.

The move has been criticised by football authorities and government ministers in the UK and widely condemned across Europe by Uefa and leagues associations.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson will hold a meeting with football's governing bodies on Tuesday to discuss the move, while the 14 Premier League clubs not included in the plans are also scheduled to meet.

Perez said that the top teams were losing money and that big-name matches would help increase their revenue.

"We are doing this to save football at this critical moment," Perez told Spanish TV show El Chiringuito de Jugones.

"If we continue with the Champions League there is less and less interest and then it's over.

"The new format which starts in 2024 is absurd. In 2024, we are all dead."

Plans for a revamped 36-team Champions League, starting in 2024, were confirmed by Uefa on Monday.

He added: "In the '50s, it was a similar situation. Uefa and Fifa went against the new European Cup, but that competition changed football."

Perez said the move had been accelerated by the coronavirus pandemic, which has led to matches being played behind closed doors.

He claimed 40% of young people are not interested in football and Real have lost 400m euros (£344m) because of the impact of the pandemic.

"When you don't have any income other than from television, you have to find a solution to make more attractive matches that fans all over the world can watch with all of the big clubs," said Perez.

"Young people are no longer interested in football. They have other platforms on which to distract themselves.

"We could get back some of the money we lost because of the pandemic. We have to raise more money organising more competitive games."

How revenue has fallen for the ESL clubs during the pandemic
However, critics say the move is being driven purely by money, would destroy domestic leagues and is against the integrity of the sport.

Former England captain Alan Shearer said he hoped the English clubs would consider the reaction of their fans, which has been overwhelmingly negative.

"Clubs talk about being a family and how fans are the soul of the club," Shearer told BBC Breakfast.

"Well, let's see what they really think about the fans, because the fans have now spoken.

"It is clearly obvious that they don't want this, so let's see what their fans mean to the football clubs."

When could it start?
Another three teams will be added to the league as guaranteed members, with five more qualifying each year.

Perez said the group want to start the new league by August, should they reach an agreement with Uefa, otherwise it could be delayed by a year.

Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin called the league a "disgraceful, self-serving" plan and a "spit in the face of football lovers".

Ceferin also said that players involved with the ESL could be banned from all Uefa competitions, which Perez denied.

"It will not happen, the law protects us," Perez added.

"We will not get into legal issues. It is impossible. The players should remain calm because the threats won't happen. "This is not a league for the rich, it's a league to save football."

The key developments so far

A dozen clubs - including Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham - agree to form a new midweek competition
European Super League will feature 20 clubs in all and run alongside domestic leagues such as the Premier League
Founding clubs are being enticed with a share of a €3.5bn (£3bn) grant provided by the investment bank JP Morgan
UK government says it is prepared "to put everything on the table to prevent this from happening".
France's president, Uefa, the Premier League, Europe's major leagues, players' unions and former players all strongly criticise the move
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says he does not agree with the move and that the club's players were not consulted
A YouGov poll of 1,730 football fans found 79% opposed the idea of a Super League
The 14 Premier League clubs not involved in the ESL move will meet on Tuesday
Fans air frustrations on social media and some visit grounds to unfurl banners in protest

He's right about young people not being interested in football or sports or even playing on streets or amateur level for that matter.

Young kids have definetly moved towards gaming, consoles, mobile apps , online gaming, watching streams movies , social media tik tok , YouTube Facebook , etc

If FIFA and UEFA stick to their guns, this league won't take place. Banning players from WC and Euro is a big deal, and most players will think twice before risking it.

I think a lot of people are underestimating the strength of football. Remove the top 12 teams and football will still remain the most popular sport globally. No club is greater than the game and these clubs will realize it sooner or later.

Back