Should Gareth Southgate stay on as Head Coach of the England team after their World Cup exit?

Gareth Southgate: Keep him or sack him?

• Keep

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Sack

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

World Star
Runs
Post of the Week
England manager Gareth Southgate to 'reflect and review' position after loss

England manager Gareth Southgate says he will "review and reflect" on his side's World Cup quarter-final exit with the Football Association before making a decision on his future.

The 52-year-old, who took charge in 2016, has a contract until after the Euro 2024 finals.

After the 2-1 loss to France, Southgate said: "These tournaments take a lot out of you and I need time to reflect.

"We've done that after every tournament and that's the right thing to do."

England were set to fly home from Qatar on Sunday.

Former England internationals Gary Neville and Ian Wright, along with ex-Republic of Ireland captain Roy Keane, unanimously agreed they would like to see Southgate continue.

Having led England to the 2018 World Cup semi-finals and the Euro 2020 final, Southgate was unable to reach the last four of a major tournament again following the agonising defeat by France in Qatar.

"I'm so proud of what the players have done, not just tonight but through the whole tournament," Southgate added.

"I think the team has taken a real step forward in all areas."

England produced a fine performance against the reigning world champions, but could not make their superiority at key stages count and were duly punished in the last-eight tie.

Captain Harry Kane equalised with a penalty for 1-1, but missed the chance to level again from the spot with just six minutes of normal time remaining after Olivier Giroud had netted a second for France.

"Everybody can see the team has progressed through this tournament," added Southgate, who was promoted from his role as England Under-21 boss six years ago.

"I think the performances have been a very good level, [including] against one of the very best teams in the world in France.

"We showed how close we are to that level, that we have some young players who announced themselves on a global stage and a spirit which we hoped would take us further."

Match-winner Giroud also spoke positively about England's performances in Qatar, saying: "We knew the potential of this young English generation. They've got it all."

Southgate began his reign as England manager in October 2016, winning 49 of his 81 games in charge and the loss to France being his 14th.

After a 2-1 defeat by Croatia in the last four of the 2018 World Cup in Russia was followed by another by Italy - on penalties - in the Euro 2020 final, questions were asked about Southgate's ability to get the most out of his talented squad.

Further concerns were raised during a poor Nations League campaign earlier this year, particularly after a humiliating 4-0 home thrashing by Hungary, where England fans chanted, 'You don't know what you're doing' at the manager.

England have since recovered to reach the World Cup quarter-finals in Qatar, with Southgate earning credit for the tactical decisions that led to a 3-0 win against Senegal in the last 16.

But he will come under more scrutiny following another disappointing exit, when many fans felt they had a squad equipped to win the trophy.

"I would love Gareth to stay on for another two years and beyond that, whether as the coach or in a role in the FA designing the future," said former Manchester United captain Neville in his role as an ITV pundit.

"England, in the last 10 years, have won youth tournaments, won the women's Euros last summer and reached the men's Euros final. We're playing well and have good technical players.

"England are in a pretty good place, let's be clear about that. We've gone out of tournaments in disgrace and wondered what the hell the future is.

"We have a great future and he is a big part of that."

Last edited by a moderator:
What should the FA do with Gareth Southgate?

Retain him, or fire him?

Please add context in the comments, and also suggest any potential replacement names that you may have in mind (and why)

Not sure by reaching the QF how can you be proud and satisfied from your job, also the false notion that best team didnot won is a joke, France defence was as solid as a rock they didn't concede from open play unlike who failed to mark players properly and the lethargic centrebacks were always a suspect, So much talk of Bellingham and blah blah yet Antoine Greizmann schooled them, Eng have become so brave that Harry Kane played most of time as a midfielder, not sold on Southgate

Captain Harry Kane said England would use their defeat by France to be "mentally and physically stronger for the next challenge" as they headed home from the World Cup in Qatar.

England were beaten 2-1 in the quarter-finals, with Kane missing an 84th-minute penalty, having earlier equalled England's scoring record of 53 goals.

Gareth Southgate's side left their hotel in Al Wakrah before their flight home.

"Absolutely gutted," said Kane.

Writing on social media, the Tottenham forward added: "We've given it everything and it's come down to a small detail which I take responsibility for. There's no hiding from it, it hurts and it'll take some time to get over it but that's part of sport.

"Now it's about using the experience to be mentally and physically stronger for the next challenge. Thanks for all the support throughout the tournament - it means a lot."

Speaking about Kane's penalty miss, former England striker Alan Shearer told BBC Radio 5 Live: "That's the life of a centre-forward. You put yourself in those positions and it will haunt Harry for the rest of his life."

England departed their hotel in Qatar at about 12:30pm local time and are expected to land in the UK later on Sunday.

BBC

For me Gareth has done a good job but has taken this team as far as he can.

Time for Tuchel

I have no doubt at all that Gareth Southgate should stay on as England manager to take us to the 2024 European Championship.

I know he hasn't delivered the trophy we wanted in Qatar, but we have to look at the bigger picture.

Not only about how we have played at this tournament but also the progress we have made during his six years in charge.

We were a shambles when Southgate took over in 2016 and it had felt like we were going nowhere. We had been a laughing stock under Roy Hodgson at the Euros earlier that year and then had to contend with the embarrassment of Sam Allardyce's exit when it had felt like things could not get any worse.

Compare that to where we are now, after the amazing experiences we have had at three major tournaments with Southgate, and it is probably why losing to France hurts so much.

We thought we could win this World Cup because of what we've done under him in the past, and also what we had shown at this tournament. We were serious contenders for many reasons and Southgate was behind all of them.

After reaching the semi-finals in Russia four years ago and the final of Euro 2020, going out in the quarter-finals might look like a backward step but we are definitely heading in the right direction with him at the helm.

We are a better team now than we were in either of those two tournaments, even though we haven't gone as far this time - and there is far more to come from these players.

It will be down to Southgate alone whether he stays or not. No-one at the Football Association will tell him that he has to go, which I think is only right.

No other England manager has taken a team to more than three major finals since Sir Alf Ramsey [four between 1966 and 1972], and Gareth understandably wants some time to reflect on his future before thinking about another campaign.

But I really hope he decides to carry on to the next tournament as well, and hopefully he feels he has unfinished business with this exciting young England team.

They all appear to like him and respect him, and they seem to enjoy playing for him as well because of the environment he has created in his squads.

He has got the best out of them in Qatar, but they will feel like they could have gone further and I think it helps that their chance to put that right - at the next Euros in Germany - is only 18 months away.

We start the journey to those finals with our first qualifier against Italy in March, in a repeat of last year's final. We should line up with the core of players who have played so well here, and Gareth is still their leader.

He has been criticised before now for some of his tactical decisions in big games, but I don't think he could or should have done anything differently in our defeat to France.

My only disappointment is their winning goal came from a cross, something I mentioned in my last column as being a big part of their game.

I thought France's approach might suit our centre-halves and full-backs, who deal with those sort of deliveries every week, but ultimately that is how the game has been decided, with a wily old fox like Olivier Giroud finding a yard of space in the box.

'When you give everything, you can hold your head up high'
On the plus side, we went toe to toe with the holders and favourites to win this World Cup, played well and created lots of chances. It just wasn't meant to be.

We lost, but we gave everything and when that happens you can hold your head up high.

I got a similar feeling after my England team lost to Germany in Euro 96 and then Argentina at the World Cup in France two years later. We also worked so hard and played in pulsating matches which were intense contests that were decided by the finest of margins.

After both defeats I came away thinking 'we could have won that' and feeling all the hurt that goes with such a narrow defeat - even though, when I thought about our performance, I was proud and there were reasons to be positive.

So I know how much this defeat will be hurting the England players right now, especially Harry Kane after his late penalty miss.

I feel for Harry, but that is the life of a top striker. You always have to put yourself forward for such a huge moment. You can't score with every chance you have, but some chances are bigger and mean more than others, so that one will hurt like hell.

It will probably haunt him for the rest of his life, but there is nothing he can do about that.

The biggest penalty I ever missed was for Newcastle against Sunderland in 2000 - and I still think about it now.

We are left with what-ifs, rather than thinking about England winning this World Cup, but I do believe we had a genuine chance when I look at the teams left in the tournament, because it really was there for the taking.

Croatia have only won one game in open play so far and do not have much happening up front. Argentina are not a great team either, although they do have Lionel Messi which is why they have always have a chance.

Morocco, whom England would have faced in the semi-finals, are well organised and dangerous on the counter-attack but I would have backed us to beat them.

Instead, we are going home, but I am sure the younger members of our team can use this experience to help them the next time we reach this stage.

So many of them had memorable moments to take away from this tournament, but it was Jude Bellingham who stood out for me as our outstanding player.

Bellingham is only 19 but, right from the start, his performances were so mature and he showed he is not afraid of anyone or anything.

He is one of the reasons the future is so exciting for England. This World Cup goes down as a missed opportunity, but we will go into the next Euros as one of the favourites, I am sure of that.

Alan Shearer was speaking to Chris Bevan in Doha, Qatar.

BBC

I guess the question is for England, do they actually want to aim for silverware and greatness, or are they happy with just being a mid level side that always goes down in flames in the quarters or the semi finals with the trademark “heroic defeat”.

Followed English football since early 2000s, they have always had very good players, some of them greats of the game but invariably caught cold feet in tournaments.
The whole atmosphere around the team used to be so chaotic, most of the times with players having a fall out with each other or the coach or the coach having trouble with the FA. British media always pouncing on the coach.
Southgate has brought calmness to the camp, the players have each others back, they play as a group of mates, they respect and like the manager. Southgate's media management has been extremely good.
What really needs to happen is that a thorough review of his defensive tactics with the FA management and senior players and how does he plan to change the way going forward. If he says that that's the best he can offer then I guess he needs to go. If he says he does have concrete plans to make England go one step further I think he has done enough to be given that time.

Lol standards seems to be low for English team that has one of the richest(or richest) football league.

Also isnt this the same guy that said India has underperformed as a white ball team in last decade??Hypocrisy much.

Yeah curious how come England don't win anything in football?

England manager Gareth Southgate 'conflicted' about future after World Cup 2022 exit

England manager Gareth Southgate says he is "conflicted" about his future, having "found large parts of the last 18 months difficult".

Southgate's side were knocked out of the 2022 World Cup on Saturday, losing 2-1 to France in the quarter-finals.

Afterwards, he said he would "review and reflect" before deciding whether to carry on in the role.

"I don't want to be four, five months down the line thinking I've made the wrong call," added the 52-year-old.

"It's too important for everybody to get that wrong."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63939239

For me Gareth has done a good job but has taken this team as far as he can.

Time for Tuchel

It is hard to recruit top managerial talent for international football because they prefer to work every week & work closely with the players. Usually you will see managers not getting good offers from top clubs settle for international jobs.

England manager Gareth Southgate says he is "conflicted" about his future, having "found large parts of the last 18 months difficult".

Southgate's side were knocked out of the 2022 World Cup on Saturday, losing 2-1 to France in the quarter-finals.

Afterwards, he said he would "review and reflect" before deciding whether to carry on in the role.

"I don't want to be four, five months down the line thinking I've made the wrong call," added the 52-year-old.

"It's too important for everybody to get that wrong."

Southgate, who was appointed in October 2016, led England to the 2018 World Cup semi-finals and a first European Championship final in 2021.

He has won six knockout games in major tournaments as Three Lions boss - the same number as England won in the 48 years before he took charge.

XE8sRmS.png

However, England went into the Qatar World Cup on the back of relegation from their Uefa Nations League group after three defeats and three draws.

One of those losses was a 4-0 defeat by Hungary in June at Molineux, during which England fans chanted at the manager: "You don't know what you're doing."

"I've found large parts of the last 18 months difficult," said Southgate, who has a contract until December 2024.

"For everything that I've loved about the last few weeks, I still have how things have been for 18 months - what's been said and what's been written, the night at Wolves.

"There are lots of things in my head that are really conflicted at the moment, so what I want to make sure, if it's the right thing to stay, is that I've definitely got the energy to do that."

Southgate has won 49 of his 81 games in charge of England, with Saturday's loss to France being his 14th. His win rate of 60.49% ranks him fourth among England managers.

His side suffered a 2-1 defeat by Croatia in the last four of the 2018 World Cup in Russia after leading 1-0, and England were beaten on penalties by Italy in the Euro 2020 final, after also leading that match through an early Luke Shaw goal.

"When I've been through the past few tournaments, my emotions have been difficult to really think through properly in those following few weeks," added Southgate.

"It took so much energy out of you and you have so much going through your mind.

"I want to make the right decision either way because it has to be the right one to go again, or the right one not to go again - and I don't think tonight is the time to make a decision like that.

"Neither are the next few days really."

BBC

Southgate has had lots of abuse'
Speaking on The Monday Night Club

Rory Smith

Chief Soccer Correspondent for The New York Times

Gareth Southgate talked in that interview to me a lot about being aware that he alienated certain sections of the fan base because he has stepped into issues where he didn't have to or want to get into.

He's talked a lot about Covid. He encouraged people to get vaccinated. He made public his support for lockdowns and he said the wild stuff he gets [letters] is all about the vaccines.

He's also had a lot of abuse over his stance about taking the knee, on social justice and issues on race and racism.

I guess the question is for England, do they actually want to aim for silverware and greatness, or are they happy with just being a mid level side that always goes down in flames in the quarters or the semi finals with the trademark “heroic defeat”.

It’s a heroic defeat subject to which players are on the receiving end of causing the fatal blow

It’s a tough one really, obviously he has developed relations with the players and has a vision in place, the team have done better then sides from the past with the bigger names. However, England have failed to bring a trophy home for 3 tournaments. Should a manager continue after that?

If England are able to replace him with someone with more high level experience and success, who would also be a good fit for the country; then it makes sense.

Otherwise Southgate should stay on.

Gary Neville says Gareth Southgate should stay as England manager until Euro 2024 | 'FA must keep him in set-up for the long term'

Gareth Southgate should remain as England manager and then be kept on by the Football Association to help shape the future of the game in this country, says Gary Neville.

England bowed out of the World Cup after losing 2-1 to the holders France in the quarter-finals, and Southgate has told his bosses at the FA he needs some time to consider his future.

Southgate has been in the role since 2016, guiding England to the semi-finals of the 2018 World Cup, as well as the final of Euro 2020, and Neville believes the 51-year-old - who is contracted until 2024 - should stay on in his role.

"I actually hope he doesn't go back into club management," he told the Sky Sports World Cup podcast. "I look at him and think there's no English person alive who has got more experience at major tournaments, junior tournaments and playing for his country.

"He has seen it all and I think he should be kept within the system to design the future. He has been there for 10 years, we've had great success with the women's teams, with the younger teams, and I think we've had really good success with the men's team, and I feel like he has seen that improvement in performance and culture over 10 years. I would like him to stay with the FA beyond his coaching role."

However, Neville does think Southgate needs to make a decision quickly and not let things drag on too far into the new year, with England playing Italy in Naples in March in a Euro 2024 qualifier.

"It was a seven or a seven-and-a-half. A good score. Par," said Neville of England's overall World Cup display in Qatar. "I think we always knew there was a collision course coming, more than likely with France in the quarter-final, and it was a game we could lose.

"Everybody who had read the script before the tournament knew England's path, knew France's path, and knew that we were going to be facing [Antoine]Griezmann, [Kylain] Mbappe and [Karim] Benzema or [Olivier] Giroud.

"We knew we were going to be in for one hell of a game and one hell of a fight, and that game wasn't a coin flip, I think it was always a 60-40 to France, they were always favourites.

"We went out but we played really well in the game and there were two or three things that went against us in that match. Penalties not given, fouls not given, Harry missing a penalty even though you would trust him with your life. Things like that happen in football, it's everyday business.

"I don't feel too different today than I did straight after the game. That was one of the best performances I've seen from an England team playing against a top team at a tournament.

"I knew it was a game we could lose and I'm not going to get angry about it when it could have gone our way."

Read more: https://www.skysports.com/football/...-fa-must-keep-him-in-set-up-for-the-long-term

Gareth Southgate: England manager to discuss future with the FA in early January

Gareth Southgate will discuss his England future with the FA in early January.

The England manager was very clear in his post-match comments following defeat to France in the World Cup quarter-final last Saturday that he wanted time to consider whether or not he would stay on in the role.

Both the FA and Southgate will use the Christmas period to take stock of the situation then it will be reviewed together, by both parties, early in the New Year.

There has been no comment from either side about Southgate's future, but Sky Sports News understands the FA will give Southgate the whole of the Christmas period to "decompress". However, after that period, the FA needs some clarity.

Southgate has a contract with England until the end of the Euro 2024 tournament in Germany. If he is not going to honour that deal, the FA will need to move pretty quickly to find a successor

England's next game is a European Championships qualifier against Italy in March 2023.

This is a delicate balancing act for the FA, who want to give Southgate the time and mental space to make up his own mind about his future.

But the FA also need a resolution as soon as possible, so that they can move forward and the England players can have some clarity.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...o-discuss-future-with-the-fa-in-early-january

<b>DT Exclusive: Gareth Southgate to stay as England manager</b>

Gareth Southgate has decided to stay as England manager.

The 52-year-old has not yet informed the Football Association but will now remain in charge having reflected on his future throughout this week following the World Cup quarter-final defeat to France.

Southgate returned home on Sunday after the exit and has spoken to friends and family about his future. He had resolved to leave before the World Cup started – even if England won it – believing there was too much negativity around him.

The news that he is staying will come as a huge relief to the FA who have been desperate for Southgate and his assistant Steve Holland to remain and take England to the European Championships in Germany in 2024. Southgate’s current contract runs until the end of that year and he is now determined to fulfil it with the Euros qualifying campaign kicking off away to Italy in March.

Southgate was dismayed by the criticism he faced following England’s disappointing Nations League campaign last summer and in particular the hostility following the 4-0 home defeat at Molineux to Hungary.

He was concerned that the attacks on him were hampering the team and needed to reflect on whether to stay having taken over England in a parlous state in 2016 following the Iceland debacle at the Euros and then Sam Allardyce’s brief time in charge.

Southgate is already the second most successful England manager in history, after Sir Alf Ramsey, and is determined to finally win a trophy again for the first time since 1966.

He told the FA that he needed time to reflect on his future but is also acutely aware that he did not want to drag it out given they might have to try and hire a replacement.

Sources suggest he now feels far more positively about staying amid widespread calls in support of him. “The landscape is different to June,” a source said. “The concern was the negativity would inhibit the team and Gareth wasn’t sure staying would be an option.”

It is understood Southgate now feels differently.

The FA have been considering various scenarios should Southgate have decided to go. But he was also urged to stay by players, led by captain Harry Kane, and has the backing of the squad.

The FA believe that progress was made at the World Cup even though England did not get as far as they did in Russia where they reached the semi-finals or in the European Championships where they lost the final on a penalty shoot-out to Italy.

Gareth Southgate will remain as England manager until after the European Championships in 2024, the Football Association has confirmed.

He had said he was "conflicted" about his future in the role after England's quarter-final exit at the World Cup.

The 52-year-old, who was appointed in 2016, led the Three Lions to the World Cup semi-finals in 2018 and a first Euros final in 2021.

His current contract is due to expire in December 2024.

"We are delighted to confirm that Gareth Southgate is continuing as England manager and will lead our Euro 2024 campaign," said FA chief executive Mark Bullingham.

"Gareth and Steve Holland [assistant manager] have always had our full support, and our planning for the Euros starts now."

BBC

No hope in the Euros in 24

I was hoping Gareth Uselessgate would resign
so a prominent competent manager would take over.

Back to playing boring Yes Sir footie for England.

So he is officially head coach of England still.

Seems like the FA and the players really wanted Gareth to stay on and this has convinced him.

I still think that he might not be there for Euro 2024. A couple more poor results and the vicious social media knives getting sharpened would probably drive Southgate out of the job for good.

Gareth Southgate considered stepping down as England boss because of criticism he faced before the World Cup, saying: "The last thing you want as a manager is that your presence is divisive and inhibits performance."

England were knocked out of the tournament by France in the quarter-finals, 18 months after losing the Euro 2020 final to Italy on penalties at Wembley.

The team were booed off in June following a 4-0 defeat against Hungary at Molineux in the Nations League - part of a generally poor series of results leading into the winter World Cup.

Explaining for the first time how he reached the decision to stay in his job, he told BBC Sport: "I never want to be in a position where my presence is affecting the team in a negative way.

"I didn't believe that was the case, but I just wanted a period after the World Cup to reflect and make sure that was still how it felt."

Bbc

Manchester United striker Marcus Rashford, Chelsea midfielder Mason Mount and Newcastle keeper Nick Pope have withdrawn from the England squad for this month's Euro 2024 qualifiers.

Rashford picked up a knock during his side's FA Cup quarter-final win against Fulham on Sunday.

Pope, who has 10 caps, suffered an injury in Newcastle's 2-1 win at Nottingham Forest on Friday.

Mount is also recovering from an injury and will stay with Chelsea.

England manager Gareth Southgate had included him in the initial 25-man squad but Chelsea boss Graham Potter said afterwards that the 24-year-old would not be joining up with the international team.

Mount has not featured for Chelsea since February because of a pubic bone injury and missed Saturday's Premier League draw against Everton.

Rashford has been in fine form for Manchester United this season, scoring 27 goals in total including 19 since returning from the Qatar World Cup, where he found the net three times in five games for England.

Tottenham keeper Fraser Forster, 35, has been called up to replace Pope.

Forster won the last of his six England caps in 2016 though he was included in the squad for two friendly games last season.

"No further replacements are planned and 23 players arrived at St. George's Park on Monday," said an England statement.

Southgate's side travel to Italy on 23 March before hosting Ukraine at Wembley on 26 March.

Enough of this guy. What a generation of talent England have. Kane, Rashford, Saka, Foden, Grealish, Bellingham, Rice, James, Alexander-Arnold, Stones etc

Totally wasted on Southgate, imagine what a truly elite coach could achieve with these guys.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gareth Southgate says Harry Kane will have "added motivation" against Italy tonight!<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BBCFootball?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#BBCFootball</a> <a href="https://t.co/8d4tSIIiTo">pic.twitter.com/8d4tSIIiTo</a></p>— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) <a href="https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1638797733354930177?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 23, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gareth Southgate muddled approach is holding Eng back they have a versatile squad but he favors certain players like Maguire Pickford Rashford Mount etc

-------------Ramsgate
----Shaw-----Mings--------Guehi
Trippier------Rice-----Tr.Arnold
Saka------Grealish-------Sterling
------Harry Kane------

Players like Shaw can play centre back and full back, Similarly Trippier full back wing back so is Ta.Arnold, Saka probably the best Eng player atm Grealish is surprisingly a Spanish type midfielder in Eng colors,

What Southgate gets Maguire a stationary defender, Henderson who is a had been and then players like Mount who only know how to run aimlessly

England doing well in friendly vs Macedonia

==
GOAL - England 3-0 North Macedonia
Marcus Rashford

HALF-TIME
England 3-0 North Macedonia

So comfortable for England at the break.

This dud is in charge of the best generation of England talent in a long time. Kane, Bellingham, Rashford, Saka, Rice, Foden, Maddison, Stones, Walker. These are all top class players playing at the highest level for their clubs. And Southgate's a Championship manager who has no idea how to use them.

This dud is in charge of the best generation of England talent in a long time. Kane, Bellingham, Rashford, Saka, Rice, Foden, Maddison, Stones, Walker. These are all top class players playing at the highest level for their clubs. And Southgate's a Championship manager who has no idea how to use them.

England should have won the Euros 2020 final, Southgate completely messed things up tactically in the second half and on the pitch there was a gradual mental collapse that he proved incapable of preventing.

England could also have won at least one trophy during the “golden” Sven era — although it can be argued that (unlike with Southgate) they were occasionally a bit unlucky as well, with key players such as Beckham, Owen and Rooney picking up injuries before tournaments / during matches when they were in red hot form, David Seaman conceding a weird free kick goal against Brazil in 2002, and a potential winning goal in 2004 from Sol Campbell against Portugal being disallowed.

It’s difficult to accept that England hasn’t won any silverware since 1966 with the amount of talent they have produced and the superior standards of the Premier League. For the national side and from the FA’s perspective it has been a huge collective failure to not deliver at least one trophy in this time. Surely at some point soon they will win a tournament. There aren’t many/any other nations which have better players.

England should have won the Euros 2020 final, Southgate completely messed things up tactically in the second half and on the pitch there was a gradual mental collapse that he proved incapable of preventing.

England could also have won at least one trophy during the “golden” Sven era — although it can be argued that (unlike with Southgate) they were occasionally a bit unlucky as well, with key players such as Beckham, Owen and Rooney picking up injuries before tournaments / during matches when they were in red hot form, David Seaman conceding a weird free kick goal against Brazil in 2002, and a potential winning goal in 2004 from Sol Campbell against Portugal being disallowed.

It’s difficult to accept that England hasn’t won any silverware since 1966 with the amount of talent they have produced and the superior standards of the Premier League. For the national side and from the FA’s perspective it has been a huge collective failure to not deliver at least one trophy in this time. Surely at some point soon they will win a tournament. There aren’t many/any other nations which have better players.
The beauty and challenge of international football is that your pool of players is fixed. If you've got no talent in the squad, you can't buy or sell to fill gaps, you're stuck with what you have.

So when a generation of talent rolls around like the players I mentioned, for a football-rich nation that has not won anything for 57 years, I find it absolutely criminal that you would not go all out to extract every drop you can, starting with finding the best manager available.

Southgate has not been a disaster, but you have to be ruthless with international managers because tournaments and games are so few and far between that time is critical. The squad's only getting older and each tournament you let Southgate manage is another tournament wasted.

We're not putting everything on Bellingham - Southgate​

Gareth Southgate is excited to welcome Jude Bellingham into the England camp after the midfielder won the Champions League with Real Madrid but said "we are not putting everything on" him.

England slumped to a dismal 1-0 defeat against Iceland in their final Euro 2024 warm-up match at Wembley on Friday.

Bellingham, 20, is the last player to join up with the 26-man squad having been given extra time off following the Champions League triumph.

Asked if Bellingham will help lift the squad, Southgate said: "I'm sure he will but it is not his responsibility to do that.

"I'm sure he is [capable of handling the pressure] but we are not putting everything on Jude. We've got a lot of good players and it is a collective thing to go and try to win this tournament.

"He is, of course, a player with a fabulous mentality and will have a big impact on the whole group."

In his first season in Spain, Bellingham was named La Liga player of the season after scoring 19 times in the league to help Real win the title by 10 points.

Despite the defeat against Iceland, Southgate praised two other young players in his squad.

Arsenal's Bukayo Saka made a substitute appearance after missing much of England's recent training while Chelsea's Cole Palmer won his fourth cap after a "fabulous" season at Chelsea.

"It was also good to get Bukayo on the pitch. He has missed a lot of the training and we needed to see him out there as well."

On Palmer he added: "He's had a fabulous season and got himself into a couple of fabulous positions. He probably took a touch too many on both occasions, but the fact is he was in there on both occasions and looked dangerous."

England begin their Euro 2024 campaign against Serbia on Sunday, 16 June, in Gelsenkirchen.

Only way England can challenge for the Euros is by playing Bellingham as the false 9 and benching Kane.

Kane is a good finisher, but lacks pace, keeps dropping deep rather than playing the role of a center forward. Therefore he stifles the rest of the attack.

False 9 would make England attacks very unpredictable and would enable getting a extra attacker or midfielder on the pitch.

And all this talk of the best Generation for a long time is hot air. A successful national team requires a core of the players playing in the same club teams which impliment the same system a national team can apply.

It's no wonder, foden never performs for England, city's style of play is drilled in to him, which is chalk and cheese when you compare England's pedestrian football, and citys slick possesional play.

Look at Germany's players. The media constantly calls this the worst German team in generations.

Kroos, Gundogan, sane, musiala, kimmich, wirtz, Rudiger, Havertz.

These are top top players.

England should not take wins for granted - Southgate

Gareth Southgate says England must not take wins at major tournaments for granted, ahead of facing Denmark at Euro 2024.

England opened their competition with a 1-0 win over Serbia, although the manner of the victory has been criticised by some fans.

Despite the negative reaction, it is only the second time England have won their opening game of a Euros - and Southgate says he is used to the impossibly high standards of supporters.

"I’ve been in this environment for eight years so I understand it all," he said. "It used to annoy me and now I’m ambivalent to it.

"Winning matches in tournaments is incredibly hard. In this tournament you’ve now got incredible support for all the teams in the stadiums as well which is a little different to the last two tournaments.

"We’ve had some good results over the years so maybe even we take results for granted, I should let the boys enjoy it more than they do. I hope they have a little bit longer than me!

"There should be more joy in it but it’s not my reality if I’m frank. My focus is to get qualified from the group, two tough opponents and two games to achieve that."

Southgate admitted that criticism despite winning is sometimes difficult to accept, but it comes with the territory.

"The environment around England is one of the hardest things to deal with," he told the BBC.

"It is not necessarily about playing against the opponent, it’s about dealing with everything."

We know there's another level we have to find - Southgate

England manager Gareth Southgate revealed his disappointment in the way his side have played in their two games at Euro 2024 - despite one win and one draw.

The Three Lions drew 1-1 with Denmark on Thursday, a result that leaves them top of Group C and in a strong position to qualify for the last 16.

However, just as in England's 1-0 win over Serbia on Sunday, Southgate's side failed to maintain control of the match and did not perform at their best.

"We understand people will be disappointed with the performances and rightly so - we have to make them a lot better," said Southgate in an interview on BBC One.

"At the moment we're not using the ball well enough and have to accept if you do that you will suffer at times, as we have. We know there's another level we have to find."

In Frankfurt, Harry Kane gave England an 18th-minute lead with his first goal of the tournament, only for Denmark to equalise 16 minutes later through Morten Hjulmand's long-range strike.

But Denmark - 16 spots below fifth-placed England in the Fifa rankings - were the better team for large parts of the second half, although England did hit the post through Phil Foden.

Southgate's side could not find a winning goal that would have taken them through with a game to spare.

"There’s a huge amount of work to do, that's evident from the two performances we have given - clearly it was not what we would’ve hoped for," added Southgate.

"We've played teams that are quite fluid in a back three and it's not easy to get pressure on them but we definitely have to do better than we have done in these two matches, that has been part of the problem, but also not keeping the ball well enough."

Problem with England fans defending Southgate is they use the excuse that "on paper" he's England 2nd most successful manager

Reality at international level England have been 🐶💩 most of the time.

Oh but he got us to a world cup semi and euros final. Reality is England have a very good pool of players right now and a manager who should have won a tournament with them. But falling short is seen as ok, because 95% of England football history has been rubbish.

Every top European nation has a golden period with players Germany, Italy, France, Spain. All of those teams had managers who got best out of their players.

Southgate is nothing more than a yes man, his failures in world cup, Euros and nations league are due to his uninspiring lack of tactics and lack of bravery. Safety 1st football rarely gets you trophies at international level

Problem with England fans defending Southgate is they use the excuse that "on paper" he's England 2nd most successful manager

Reality at international level England have been 🐶💩 most of the time.

Oh but he got us to a world cup semi and euros final. Reality is England have a very good pool of players right now and a manager who should have won a tournament with them. But falling short is seen as ok, because 95% of England football history has been rubbish.

Every top European nation has a golden period with players Germany, Italy, France, Spain. All of those teams had managers who got best out of their players.

Southgate is nothing more than a yes man, his failures in world cup, Euros and nations league are due to his uninspiring lack of tactics and lack of bravery. Safety 1st football rarely gets you trophies at international level

What about Capello who was a brilliant manager.

Erikson who also was quality.

Is it really down to the managers, or are these English players over hyped and overrated, or are mental midgets for their national team

No Manager can handle the pressure of the job. The players also freeze and the whole thing turns into a flop show

Southgate 'oblivious' to England criticism​

England manager Gareth Southgate says he has learned to block out criticism and that he and his players have been "brutally honest" about where they need to improve.

A number of his players were criticised for their performance in their 1-1 draw with Denmark at Euro 2024 on Thursday, with Southgate's team selection and tactics also questioned.

The draw kept the Three Lions top of Group C and means they only need a point against Slovenia on Tuesday (20:00 BST) to guarantee a place in the last 16.

Asked about the criticism, Southgate said: "That's the world we're in. I'm oblivious to it, it's not important to me at all.

"What's important to me is I guide this group of players through the tournament. We're a high profile team with expectations and we understand everything we do will be scrutinised. I'm very comfortable with that life.

"I don't need to listen to externals because I am my own biggest critic and I think the players are as well.

"We know what we have done well, we have been very honest about that. We know where we need to be better, we have been brutally honest about that, and that's how you coach a team and improve performance."

England midfielder Declan Rice said Southgate has had "great internal discussions" with a group of senior players.

"Such a good thing that Gareth has with the group is that we are so open and honest," said the 25-year-old.

"If something is not right on the pitch we will review it, go over it and be better for it."

Ex-England internationals Alan Shearer and Gary Lineker were among those to criticise the performance against Denmark on the Rest is Football podcast, prompting captain Harry Kane to say former players should "remember what it’s like to wear the shirt" before commenting.

In response, Shearer and Lineker defended their comments, saying they are always constructive with their criticism and want the England team to do well.

Southgate, who has been England manager since 2016, said that he may previously have been affected by such comments.

"The great thing abut being in this job for a long time is that I have managed to realise how to manage myself in the best way," said the 53-year-old, who has now managed England at four major tournaments.

"So a few years ago I would have read things, would have listened to things and it would have saddened me and taken energy from me.

"Now I have to cut myself off from it. I can't put myself in that position because you lose focus.

"It gives me great perspective. We are just thinking about how we can improve things. We are composed in what we are trying to do.

"We never duck where we are as a team and we are determined to progress."

Source: BBC

'Unusual environment' - booed Southgate on cups thrown at him

Some England fans' reactions to the team's performances at Euro 2024 are "creating an unusual environment" which is "causing an issue for the group" says manager Gareth Southgate.

His side finished top of Group C on Tuesday after a goalless draw against Slovenia followed a 1-1 stalemate with Denmark in their previous group-stage game.

Southgate's side were booed off, and some empty cups were thrown at the Three Lions boss following another below-par display.

"I'm not going to back away from it," he said. "The most important thing is the supporters stay with the team."

England had an early Bukayo Saka goal disallowed for offside, but did little else to trouble Slovenia goalkeeper Jan Oblak.

Southgate said he "understands" why fans have expressed their displeasure at disappointing performances and results, which included a 1-0 success over Serbia in their opening match of the tournament.

Fans jeered England as they entered half-time having failed to break the deadlock. Southgate was met by another negative response as he went to applaud supporters at full-time, with cups thrown in his direction.

"I understand the narrative towards me and that's better for the team than it being towards them," he added.

"But it is creating an unusual environment to operate in. I've not seen any other team qualify and receive similar. I understand it, I'm not going to back away from it, but I'm very proud of the players for how they're operating within it."

England's performance against Denmark in their second group game was widely criticised by pundits, with captain Harry Kane calling for more positivity from the media in the build-up to Slovenia, and saying ex-players should remember how "tough" tournament football is.

Social media video from inside Cologne Stadium appeared to show some England fans swearing towards Southgate, then arguing with other supporters who felt they should be getting behind the team and the manager.

Southgate gave several post-match interviews to individual broadcasters before holding a news conference.

He told beIN Sports that "the reaction to everything" was creating "an incredible environment" and the "players are feeling that".

"I've lived in this environment for 20 years as a player and coach. We've got to keep ourselves on track and make sure the dressing room is tight."

In his news conference later, Southgate added: "We have made England over the last three or four years fun again. I think it has been enjoyable for the players and we have got to be very, very careful that it stays that way."

Southgate also revealed the responses from some supporters are "causing an issue for the group" and urged them to back the players.

He told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I was not going to back away from going over to thank people for coming and giving the support that they did, but I know that this is causing an issue for the group.

"I can deal with that but I need them to support the players."

Goalkeeper Jordan Pickford conceded England have "not played our best" and coming under fire is understandable.

"No game is easy and we are going to come under criticism - we have to deal with that. We have finished top of the group and we have not played our best," he added.

"We have got to keep a positive mindset and bring the positives. We know we weren't perfect, but we didn't get beat in three games."

Kane added: "It was a difficult night but I think it was our best performance out of the three."

Media caption,

Highlights: England 0-0 Slovenia

'So many things are starting to come together'

England have managed to find a path out of their group, but they have struggled to find their best form at Euro 2024.

Their 2.26 expected goals from the three games ranked 19th among the 24 teams at the competition and they have only mustered the 17th most shots.

The Three Lions misfired again in Cologne against Slovenia, yet a defiant Southgate insisted "things are starting to come together" for his side.

"We have created some good openings and, at the moment, it is hard work for us," he told ITV Sport.

"We are not quite getting that break in front of goal. I think the players who came on did well. I understand the reactions but it is a tough environment."

Defender John Stones echoed those sentiments as he added: "I thought there was a lot of improvement from the other two games. We found people in the pockets and created more chances - another step in the right direction.

"I can get the fans' frustration, not taking chances, but that is football. It is never an easy game."

BBC

Back