Shouldn't Pat Cummins early declaration be investigated?

Major

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week
We saw so much discussion go on about Malik bowling 3 no balls and being suspected of fixing.

What about the Australian captain, batting and having 1 wicket in hand and trailing by 20ish runs and still declaring. Ended up losing the test to West Indies by just 9 runs

Shouldn't cummins be investigated? Or are posters just selective?

Last edited by a moderator:
In hindsight it turned out to be a poor decision. But doesn't appear shady.
i think it wasnt any poor decision though, he just wanted to come and bowl under lights on the same day so they can get some early wickets so he declared bit early.

Can't consider it as a blunder or something shady.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with the declaration. It might have gone wrong for the Aussies but I don't think there is anything suspicious about it. They took a risk which did not work for them.

Neither Cummins nor anyone else gave the Windies a chance in hell to beat Australia. There was nothing wrong with the decision. The Aussies simply miscalculated and underestimated their opponents. But really, any other captain would have made the same decision again the Windies.

Neither Cummins nor anyone else gave the Windies a chance in hell to beat Australia. There was nothing wrong with the decision. The Aussies simply miscalculated and underestimated their opponents. But really, any other captain would have made the same decision again the Windies.
Absolutely right. Pat Cummins would have never thought that his decision would bring a defeat. It was just another decision in cricket that went wrong for a team.

It shouldn’t be investigated, but as a factor in the Australian defeat (which it was) it’s getting next to no negative coverage, whereas England’s early declaration in the Ashes has been highly controversial and still sees Ben Stokes metaphorically pelted with rotten tomatoes for supposedly blowing the series on the opening evening. But of course Saint Pat can do no wrong according to some. ;)

It shouldn’t be investigated, but as a factor in the Australian defeat (which it was) it’s getting next to no negative coverage, whereas England’s early declaration in the Ashes has been highly controversial and still sees Ben Stokes metaphorically pelted with rotten tomatoes for supposedly blowing the series on the opening evening. But of course Saint Pat can do no wrong according to some. ;)

I understand the point you are making, Cummins has been saved by the fact its a low key series and suddenly a lot of positive spirit has been created, but do you really think they are the same otherwise?

Cummins was calculated. It turned out to be a miscalculation but one can understand the reasoning.

Stokes' declaration to this day appears suicidical.

he has done it before i think three times against us. Against lower rank teams he has done quite a few times.

I understand the point you are making, Cummins has been saved by the fact its a low key series and suddenly a lot of positive spirit has been created, but do you really think they are the same otherwise?

Cummins was calculated. It turned out to be a miscalculation but one can understand the reasoning.

8 runs in the game. Cummins doesn’t declare early, it’s highly likely that Australia win the Test and win the series. As it is, they lost the Test and drew the series. Sounds fairly suicidal to me…

How do you know walking wicket Hazelwood would have lasted, could have been out first ball!

Don't think anyone including Cummins saw a WI victory coming even they declared with a 100 run deficit.

Don't think anyone including Cummins saw a WI victory coming even they declared with a 100 run deficit.

Then that’s his failure as a captain. I know he is perfect and a poster boy and role model and shop mannequin etc, but he’s dropped a clanger here.

He just underrated the WI.
And after getting USD 3.67 million in the PSL. This guy has 0 reason to fix matches.

Then that’s his failure as a captain. I know he is perfect and a poster boy and role model and shop mannequin etc, but he’s dropped a clanger here.

No he hasn't. Nobody questioned his decision at the time because he wanted to attack and look for wickets when the pink ball was at it's lethal best.

Pat Cummins is not only a great captain but a great leader of men. Cricket is lucky to have a poster boy like Cummins.

He has plenty of credit in the bank having win both the WTC final and the World Cup.

This thread is premature.

A much dumber, fateful decision was England asking NZ to follow on in the 2nd Test in NZ and then losing the match

Now that was absolutely questionable

Remember when Cronje did something out of the box and he was hailed as the next best thing? We all remember the aftermath of that.

I think it was just Aussie overconfindence and underestimation of Windies and nothing else.

lol he declared because he wanted early wickets under the lights. Didn't they actually get a wicket also before end of day's play in like 5-7 overs that were left?

A much dumber, fateful decision was England asking NZ to follow on in the 2nd Test in NZ and then losing the match

It was only by 1 run. With a possible wide not called at the end, potentially making it a tie on another day. It was a good game. Shrug

Pat Cummins never knew that his decision to declare would become the center of attraction. Why? Because he thought out of the box? He was confident enough that Aussie bowling would dismantle the batting line of windies quickly, but that went wrong. He got over-confident and thought that windies would feel pressure about this early declaration and would fall like a house of cards. Went against Australia.

It's Test cricket, not T20.

He is the captain, he did it according to the situation. He had belief in his bowling strength.

It was the right decision. But if it was India or England I think he would not have gone for it.

It was the right decision. But if it was India or England I think he would not have gone for it.
Tactically decision was right. But if the same decision had been taken by any subcontinent team, the captain would have been fired by now.

Well spotted, highly likely, Cummins being an uneducated who's not part of the regular playing eleven, very very vulnerable to fixers. On the other hand had he been a multi millionaire besides a full time contract with one of the richest boards, in that case would have been unlikely!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back