South Africa (145/8) crash out of T20 World Cup 2022 after shock defeat to Netherlands (158/4)

Wow Didnt expect Dutch to beat SA and to help pakistan.

Oh ma gawd in heaven, do you believe in miracles :))

I watched Holland’s first innings and felt that they had a good chance but this is a shock to say the least, Pakistan get through on arguably their worst WT20 performances and with major holes in their batting line up. I can’t believe it, many thanks to Allah swt

Never underestimate psychology in sport.

Any other situation SA would pulverise NL.

Not sure when they'll get over the choking tag.

What on earth.

South Africa's tragicomic relationship with World Cups continue.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">South Africa are OUT of <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/T20WorldCup?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#T20WorldCup</a><br><br>Proteas eliminated after 13-run loss to Netherlands, which included this stunning catch from former South Africa player Roelof van der Merwe 🇿🇦🇳🇱<br><br>India are in the semi-finals and the winner of Pakistan vs Bangladesh will now join them 🏏 <a href="https://t.co/BoFMaP942K">pic.twitter.com/BoFMaP942K</a></p>— Sky Sports Cricket (@SkyCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkyCricket/status/1589131270595960832?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 6, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And Van der Merwe has played for South Africa in his young days :facepalm

<b>Boucher's frank admission after South Africa crumble to the Netherlands</b>

Outgoing South Africa coach Mark Boucher admits the Proteas' defeat to the Netherlands at the ICC Men's T20 World Cup in Adelaide was one of the lowest points of his tenure.

After letting Stephan Myburgh dictate terms in Sunday's late-morning fixture, Max O'Dowd, Tom Cooper and Colin Ackermann ensured the men in orange reached a defendable 158.

The Proteas in response never found a flow, hapless against a professional Dutch bowling effort, falling 13 runs short as they crashed out of the tournament.

Perhaps free of responsibilities given his imminent departure, Boucher was candid in his side's assessment, lambasting the side's lackadaisical start to the match, which set the tone for a disappointing outcome.

"When we woke up," Boucher admitted when asked where things first went wrong, going on to say the defeat was "probably" the worst in his tenure.

"I think if you look at the way that we started the game, our energies were low. Whether that's because it was a 10:30am game (local time), times have been quite difficult, I don't know, I haven't really put my finger on it."

Sunday's result only hammered the point of South Africa's nervousness in ICC global tournaments, and while Boucher felt the current generation weren't burdened by history or lofty expectations, he acknowledged it may have played on his mind.

"I think the more you don't do well in World Cups, I think it does start playing in your head a bit. I think that's just natural," he said.

"We were never really in this game today, to be fair, so it's not like you look at it and go from the start of the game on paper, yes, we should have won the game, but the game is not played on paper."

Boucher extended his congratulations to the Netherlands, with the victory going a long way to automatic qualification for the 2024 tournament.

The Dutch would need to ensure a top four finish in the group for a spot by virtue of finishing in the event's top eight, and showed enough quality in the eyes of Boucher to justify their standing in the current cricket climate.

"I think they batted well. They were brave. They can come out and play brave cricket, the situation that they're in, as well, which makes them dangerous and then we weren't able to get momentum back on our side," Boucher said.

"I think our plans were there, but we didn't quite use them well enough. I thought if you look at the game as a whole, I think Netherlands out-bowled us. They bowled with good plans, bowled to the longer side of the field, and they were just able to create more pressure on us than we were able to put pressure on them."

South Africa are in a strong position on the World Test Championship table in contrast to their white-ball travails, and hope to make a push for the final with a strong series in their Australian return later in the year.

Forfeiting their three Super League ODIs with Australia in 2023 however, the Proteas have jeopardised their plans for automatic qualification for the 50-over Cricket World Cup next year, and may need to enter the tournament via the Qualifier in Zimbabwe.

Boucher admits the side's issues are completely self-inflicted.

"Our white ball stuff, I think we've got ourselves to blame as South African cricket with where we are at the moment. We also understand that we've been through tough times, and there are certain things that have to happen with the guys to even close out," Boucher added.

The defeat to the Netherlands ends a three-year tenure for Boucher having been unveiled by former teammate Graeme Smith.

The highly-acclaimed wicket-keeper/batter says he will hold his head high when looking back at his time, even after a defeat in his final match.

"I can honestly look at my coaching staff, and we ticked every single box that we needed to tick," he said.

"I'm gutted, to be honest (after defeat on Sunday). As I said, I think this squad deserved to give themselves a better chance, and yeah, unfortunately it didn't happen for us, which is very disappointing for me and certainly every single guy who's in our dressing room at the moment.

"The bottom line is we just weren't up to standard today as a team. We just weren't good enough and we didn't come out and perform as a unit. I think there was certainly individuals who really stood out, but as a team we just unfortunately didn't all rock up today."

https://www.t20worldcup.com/news/2894142

SA has had crunch matches in world cups before. This has to be the easiest crunch match they have ever faced. This is why this has to be the worst choke ever.

SA has had crunch matches in world cups before. This has to be the easiest crunch match they have ever faced. This is why this has to be the worst choke ever.

It’s certainly the funniest.

I didn't watch the game live because I would've had to stay up all night for both the matches, so I gave it a miss and only woke up for the second inning of Pakistan's own match. I was a little curious as to what might've happened in the first match, but not even in the wildest dreams I would've imagined this. When Gilchrist talked in the commentary box about the Netherlands having beaten South Africa, I screamed and shouted so loud that I startled both my parents:))! I felt so bad for them afterwards. :))

Upsets are a part of the game, but a match on which half the cricket world had set sights on, I would put it as amongst the greatest and most unbelievable upsets in the history of the game! Upsets are a part of the game, yes, I repeat, but miracles are not supposed to be a part of this game. This was actually a miracle, not an upset. Wow, just wow!

When I was about to go to bed yesterday, I said to my brother that, ever since having been beaten by Zimbabwe, Pakistan have had required two results to go their way on each occasion, but on each occasion one result has gone in their favour and one against them: India were beaten by South Africa, but they themselves beat Bangladesh, so that's two results against them. On the other hand, Zimbabwe were beaten by both the Netherlands and Bangladesh, these being two results which went in their favour. So, I said to him that if tomorrow too at least one of the two results go in Pakistan's favour, that'll be enough to see them through to the Semi-Finals; and exactly so it happened! 😂

What a rollercoaster ride has this tournament been for Pakistan! Into the Semi-Finals, but things went down right to the last day of the group stage of it. Two of the four teams who've advanced through to the next round are those who`ve been on the receiving end of an upset: England lost to Ireland and Pakistan to Zimbabwe. What a wonderful game is T20 cricket! :)

This is one of my favourite threads of all time. Credit to the guys who stayed up and kept the faith against the odds.

It's 2:30am here and i'm watching this match. My wife thinks I'm crazy and next level optimistic

I hope your wife has given you a full wholesome apology :))

This is one of my favourite threads of all time. Credit to the guys who stayed up and kept the faith against the odds.

What a match, what a result!

I was asleep :))

I was one of ‘em and enjoyed every second of it !

What a game What a miracle. Regardless of how we do in the SF - won’t forget this for a very long time :)

Back