South Africa [359 & 83/2] beat New Zealand [268 & 171] by 8 wickets in the 2nd Test, take 1-0 lead

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
South Africa [359 & 83/2] beat New Zealand [268 & 171] by 8 wickets in the 2nd Test, take 1-0 lead

New Zealand team
JA Raval, TWM Latham, KS Williamson*, NT Broom, HM Nicholls, JDS Neesham, BJ Watling†, C de Grandhomme, TG Southee, JS Patel, N Wagner

South Africa team
SC Cook, D Elgar, HM Amla, JP Duminy, F du Plessis*, T Bavuma, Q de Kock†, VD Philander, KA Maharaj, M Morkel, K Rabada

South Africa won the toss and elected to field.

NZ struggling here on a green track v.s. SA. Good bowling by them so far.

SA fighting back isn't in the least bit surprising.

NZ always fail to capitalize when in a position of strength against top sides.

Just watch QdK turn this into a 100+ run lead.

SA fighting back isn't in the least bit surprising.

NZ always fail to capitalize when in a position of strength against top sides.

Just watch QdK turn this into a 100+ run lead.

Your favorite- Nicholls played well yesterday didn't he?

New Zealand has turned into nightmare for tourists these days..

NZ again lost it after being in strong position..

Good innings by De kock and Bavuma..

NZ again lost it after being in strong position..

Good innings by De kock and Bavuma..
Doesn't have to do with a lack of killer instinct.

They're just not good enough, that's the truth.

The SA's were lazy early on and threw away their wickets, the first pair that applied themselves and now they're ahead by 50 and have this game set up to win.

Would have won some easy cash if I put some money on the SA's at 90 odd for 6.

Doesn't have to do with a lack of killer instinct.

They're just not good enough, that's the truth.

The SA's were lazy early on and threw away their wickets, the first pair that applied themselves and now they're ahead by 50 and have this game set up to win.

Would have won some easy cash if I put some money on the SA's at 90 odd for 6.

Feel under B'Mac leadership they had that instict and that's why you got some memorable wins under him.

TEMBA BAVUMA and Quinton de Kock both fell just short of centuries as the Standard Bank Proteas recovered to end day two of the second Test on top against New Zealand at the Basin Reserve in Wellington on Friday.

The pair rescued South Africa from a position of strife on the second morning by adding 160 together for the seventh wicket, and along with the tail, ensured their team reach stumps on 349/9 – a lead of 81.

De Kock top-scored with a free-flowing 91 (118 balls, 10 fours, 3 sixes), while Bavuma recorded his highest score since his maiden century against England at Cape Town last year after making an invaluable 89 (160 balls, 9 fours).

There was also more than handy contributions by Vernon Philander (36) and No.11 Morne Morkel, who overcame being struck on the helmet by Tim Southee, to end on 31. Their unbroken final wicket stand was still going on 47 at end.

All this late order fight had come after the top order was shattered by the Black Caps’ bowlers. They had reduced the tourists to a woeful 94/6 before lunch and were well on course to take control of the Test match.

Nightwatchman Kagiso Rabada (9) was out within two overs of the start, before JP Duminy fell for a quick-fire 16.

Hashim Amla (21) continued his struggle to find his best form and Faf du Plessis (22) gave Colin de Grandhomme (3/52) a third wicket as the South Africans fell from 24/2 at the start to go into lunch six down and next to nothing on the scoreboard.

But the rest of the batsmen added 255 for the loss of three wickets as the lower-order and tail batted the Proteas into a position of dominance at stumps.

Not surprised by this at all.

SA are too good for this team of club cricketers.

Williamson lacks consistency.. One good inning and three failures playing in home conditions.

Absolutely brilliant bowling from Philander.

Would love to see Philander vs Kohli in NZ on this pitch and these conditions.:hafeez2

Williamson lacks consistency.. One good inning and three failures playing in home conditions.
Kane's just not that good, he struggles against good bowling sides and never really looks assured at the crease.

He's a great batsmen, but not as good as world class batsmen.

Last edited:
Kane's just not that good, he struggles against good bowling sides and never really looks assured at the crease.

He's a great batsmen, but not as good as world class batsmen.

I still believe there is more of confidence issue with Kane than ability. He seems to have lost it since that India tour.Maybe because captaining the side has put more pressure on him.

His 70 odd in SA last year vs Steyn/ Rabada/Philander was a very high quality inning.So its not that he cant score vs quality bowling attacks.

KESHAV MAHARAJ claimed career-best figures to help bowl the Standard Bank Proteas into a 1-0 series lead after they completed a thumping eight-wicket win over New Zealand deep into the third day of the second Test at the Basin Reserve in Wellington on Saturday.

The slow-left-armer took 6/40 in 20.2 overs to overhaul his previous best of 5/94, which he managed in the previous Test, as the hosts were emphatically dismissed for 171 in their second innings, leaving a target or 81 for South Africa.

And they ensured they got there on the third evening after utilising the extra half hour with Hashim Amla ending unbeaten on 38 – the tourists taking the series lead heading to Hamilton for the final Test starting next Saturday.

A hectic final day had started out with Vernon Philander (37 not out) and Morne Morkel (40) still batting, but after extending their partnership to 59, Jeetan Patel ended the Proteas’ innings on 359 and a lead of 91.

Morkel then claimed the first three wickets to fall, including that of captain Kane Williamson (1) after a rare double failure, leaving New Zealand on 64/3.

Maharaj followed that by accounting for first-innings centurion Henry Nicholls (7) and Jimmy Neesham (4), leaving the hosts five down with only 90 on the board.

Opener Jeet Raval’s highest Test score of 80 momentarily held up the South African charge, alongside 29 by BJ Watling.

The pair put on 65 together for the sixth wicket, but both were then part of a collapse that saw the hosts lose their final five wickets for 16 runs to be all out in 63.2 overs.

Maharaj was undoubtedly the star with his second career five-for stunning the home side. It was also the fifth-best figures by a South African spinner overseas and set up a small chase.

Stephen Cook continued his struggles with 11 and Dean Elgar made 17, but Amla’s calmness took the visitors to a comfortable win.

I've said it before, but Kane Williamson hasn't got the strength of personality to lead a team.

The only leader in this team is Neil Wagner. He should be the skipper.

Standard Bank Proteas left-arm spinner, Keshav Maharaj, has praised the support from the pace bowlers after his career-best haul of 6/40 in the eight-wicket win against New Zealand in the second Test match in Wellington on Saturday. Maharaj defied the traditionally seam-friendly conditions to help dismiss the hosts for 171 in their second innings, but believes he capitalised on the pressure created by Vernon Philander (0/38) and Morne Morkel (3/50) with the new ball, along with Kagiso Rabada (1/38) who was at his fast fiery best.

“The seamers helped me out a lot, they made it difficult to score,” he admitted after his man-of-the-match performance on Saturday. “Vernon and Morne upfront with the new ball were the best that we know them to be. I put the ball in the right area and managed to get a few scalps here and there.

“Being a spinner of minimal variation I have to rely on consistency,” he added. “I had to try and stay as consistent as possible to help the captain. My job in the team is to hold up an end so that the seamers can strike in seam-friendly conditions. That is how I went about my business and luckily it paid off.”

His second Test five-for in as many matches shows the signs of a player who has the potential to make the spin bowling berth his own for many years to come, but he insists on staying in the present and taking it one match at a time. Although the conditions for the third match at Seddon Park in Hamilton are expected to be spin-friendly, Maharaj says it makes no difference because of his simple game plan and mindset.

“To be honest, if it’s a wicket that is turning or not I just want to land the ball in my areas,” he said of the next match. “Whatever happens from there I can’t control. It will be nice to play on a turner, but whatever is prepared I just want to bowl.

“It’s a patience game, it’s a true test of character,” he said of what he has learnt in his six Tests for South Africa. “Hendo (Claude Henderson, spin bowling coach) has chatted to me a lot, he has played a lot of cricket and has a lot of experience. All he said to me was to be prepared to ‘scrap’. That is all I’ve been doing and I intend to do it for a long time to come.”

The Proteas will have two days off before travelling to Hamilton on Tuesday ahead of the third and final Test match starting at Seddon Park on Saturday, March 25. Details of the training and media schedule will be advised in due course.

Tbf, NZ probably would've done better with Boult and Taylor there.

Boult>Neesham and Taylor>Broom

Neesham is useless with De Grandhomme there and Broom is a complete hack.

NZ need their legends: :rosco and :tb back.

Back