South Africa end Day 1 of the 3rd Test at 17/1 (trail by 206 runs) after bowling out India for 223

Pant is like Sehwag minus the street-smartness.

Sehwag scored a debut 100 in South Africa batting at #6. No way Rishabh Afridi can do that.

Lol at Sehwag being street smart. Did he ever cared of leaving balls outside off stump in South Africa, England or New Zealand?

:afridi

These 40 runs so far by kohli look better then some of the 100s hes got on road wickets.

South Africa have actually bowled really well today. Didn't do much wrong. I'd say the game is even right now.

When was the last time india won 3 tosses ina row?
That apart, the forecast for tommorwo and day after is bright and sunny. Why bat first?
If we dont get big runs in the first dig, we could be in for a leather hunt. Dont know how Jazz boom and Shami's fitness will hold up after the last test, Ashwin is at best a holding bowler in these conditions, Shardul a hit and miss - having said that he's been a hit more than a miss...Umesh - is a spray gun and hopefully he is not rusty.
Another point is, we now will be playing in SC condtions for large part of 2022 - would Ishant be surplus tthe requirements? if he was not playing in 3 tests and just warming the bench, couldnt we have been better off getting some young quick -tyagi, mavi , nagarkoti or someone else?
Hope VK goes big today and shuts some chatter ...

Kohli fighting it out.

Looks determined to score a ton.

Cape town traditionally has been the best batting pitch in SA. Remember Asad technique scoring a century at this ground also i think only century younis scored in SA was at this venue.
In this game SA have done really well to contain India so far if they get one of kohli or rishabh quickly they'll be at clear advantage

Another disappointing shot by Pant, this time after doing the hard grind and getting a start.

Pathetic performance from India. Heads have to roll after this series, starting with Rahane. Biggest waste of space. No reason for him to play at all

That's why they were picking Jadeja ahead of Ashwin in overseas tests! Nothing much difference in bowling, but more value with bat & field...

250 here would be a very good total on this surface from here.

Virat motoring now, worried about running out of partners.

The only good thing about this match could probably be the glimpse of Kohli getting back to form!

Kohli needs to take us to 250 somehow, minimum.

That was a Sehwagesque SIX from Thakur. We all have the memories of Sehwag slashing outside off deliveries to sixes over third man and he does the same here too.

Thakur should go after mahraj, easy runs on offer.

Rahane and Pujara along with Pant to a certain extent will mostly cost India this series.
What use is experience when it is not useful in crunch situations?
Unless the experience for which Rahane and Pujara were picked is the experience of failing when most needed..then they have fully utilized that experience here ;):))

If India get bowled out for less than 300 it would give good opportunity to SA to seal the series, as long as they bat better than India. Kohli is fighting out alone there, good inning so far.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Virat Kohli’s cover drives today 😍<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WTC23?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#WTC23</a> | <a href="https://t.co/Wbb1FE1P6t">https://t.co/Wbb1FE1P6t</a> <a href="https://t.co/0est8vxNnQ">pic.twitter.com/0est8vxNnQ</a></p>— ICC (@ICC) <a href="https://twitter.com/ICC/status/1480908371880562691?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 11, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rabada was bowling beautifully and eventually snares kohli. Good knock especially by current Indian batting standards

211-9. Kohli gone.

Declare and try to get them 3-down with Elgar as one of the casualties.

Another innings without a hundred for Virat. This has got to be seriously affecting him mentally now.

think Decock is regretting his decision to retire. Maybe he thought South Africa will be white washed after 1st test

Got out on a shot he played due to running out of partners.
Else he was set for a ton today.

think Decock is regretting his decision to retire. Maybe he thought South Africa will be white washed after 1st test

Better dressing room without him, better team without him.

No point in picking someone with no motivation, no interest and no resilience who doesn’t want to be there.

What a third class batting performance by India! After this series I think Indian test team will start seeing their low... With this batting I think teams will start to attack India even at home by packing some spinners...

223 is just below par i think, but indians quicks should enjoy bowling here.

10 over left today .need to get 2 wickets to have some chance otherwise match and series is gone.

Avg 1st inngs score in Cape Town last five Tests: 287

India make 223

The only instance a team scored less than 250 (177 by Pak vs SA 2018/19), the team batting second went on to win the Test.

What a third class batting performance by India! After this series I think Indian test team will start seeing their low... With this batting I think teams will start to attack India even at home by packing some spinners...

When you have a captain who is struggling to score a century and two duds who only perform when they are about to get dropped then this is the kind of performance you get in return. Also as I have said multiple times before as well KL Rahul is a very inconsistent batsman. Plays one good inning in a series and then goes missing in next few innings. This explains why he is averaging around 35 as an opener. The less said about Mr Pant the better. :inti

It's a huge surprise that despite having such a pedestrian batting line-up, we managed 200+. All credit to Kohli.

Rahul is such a pathetic bat. Only in this batting line-up, he could be it's best bat.

In an ideal world, none of this team's batsman deserve to be in Indian team. Such is the paucity of runs from these no hopers.

When you have a captain who is struggling to score a century and two duds who only perform when they are about to get dropped then this is the kind of performance you get in return. Also as I have said multiple times before as well KL Rahul is a very inconsistent batsman. Plays one good inning in a series and then goes missing in next few innings. This explains why he is averaging around 35 as an opener. The less said about Mr Pant the better. :inti

Fully agree. Kohli's stubbornness will probably cost India this series. Persisting with pujara and rahane for so long really is unforgivable. Also u dont always need to play 5 bowlers in bowling friendly conditions. An extra batsman will make a more balanced side because indian fast bowlers are good.

I think India are missing a player of Hardik Pandya calibre. He got an admirable 96 vs a bowling attack of Steyn, Rabada, Philander and Morkel in the same venue. He would have been very useful in this side in this decider. :inti

I think India are missing a player of Hardik Pandya calibre. He got an admirable 96 vs a bowling attack of Steyn, Rabada, Philander and Morkel in the same venue. He would have been very useful in this side in this decider. :inti
Would have, should have, could have...

India is not missing him because of Shardul Thakur. Also he was struggling to perform in the just concluded T20 WC in UAE and you think he would have made the difference on these pitches? :91: :inti

Only Indian bowlers can win this match for India. If we bowl SA out for 150 then we will be favorites to win this match and series. :inti

Two average batting sides making the series good to watch as they get bowled out quickly, ensuring a reault

India is not missing him because of Shardul Thakur. Also he was struggling to perform in the just concluded T20 WC in UAE and you think he would have made the difference on these pitches? :91: :inti

My opinion was based on the admirable 96 he got vs Steyn, Philander, Rabada and Morkel attack on the same pitch in the month of January three years ago. Makes more sense, isn't it :kp? :inti

This attack is a poorer version of that - Rabada, Ngidi, Oliver and the fourth guy who bowls like Nehra Ji.

Honours even on day 1 with that huge wicket of elgar. SA will struggle to get 200 tomorrow.

My opinion was based on the admirable 96 he got vs Steyn, Philander, Rabada and Morkel attack on the same pitch in the month of January three years ago. Makes more sense, isn't it :kp? :inti

This attack is a poorer version of that - Rabada, Ngidi, Oliver and the fourth guy who bowls like Nehra Ji.

3 years is a long time. A lot has changed now. Except few most of the people have realised now that Pandya is an average player. Although you can bring back many players if that is how you and others think about choosing a playing XI. Pujara and Rahane are the latest example of that. :inti

South African team of Smith, AB, Kallis Hashim, Steyn, Morne, Philander would have eaten this indian team alive... It is only because this RSA team is also very average that this is turning out to be a tight contest.

We might still win, but this shows how far off the Comparisons of this team with greatest teams of all time are.

South African team of Smith, AB, Kallis Hashim, Steyn, Morne, Philander would have eaten this indian team alive... It is only because this RSA team is also very average that this is turning out to be a tight contest.

We might still win, but this shows how far off the Comparisons of this team with greatest teams of all time are.

Well when those guys were around we had Tendulkar, Dravid, Sehwag, Dhoni, Zaheer, Harbhajan etc. And we drew a series then 1-1 in 2010/11.

You should only compare eras with eras.

It is absolutely criminal to continue with Pujara, Rahane and Pant for so long, esp when there are good back ups like Iyer, Gill, Padikkal, Ruturaj and the likes.

We saw with Khawaja last few days, there is a difference between someone scrapping their way to a 50 in one odd innings and an inform player who scores back to back hundreds. ChePu and Rahane just scrap their way to one fifty once every 5 innings and hold on to their place.

Pant doesn't even do that but still stays.

Some people are saying poor batting all the way. Steven Smith and his team struggled badly here in 2018 tour. Atleast in Test cricket Proteas do not provide phatta wickets., just not easy. Out of all visiting teams, England historically plays well in South Africa.
Aussies used to be goid here too until
Clarke’s time.

Well when those guys were around we had Tendulkar, Dravid, Sehwag, Dhoni, Zaheer, Harbhajan etc. And we drew a series then 1-1 in 2010/11.

You should only compare eras with eras.

My comparison is valid because this team is often touted as one of the greatest teams in history by some fans, some recently called it as the 3rd greatest team of all time. Which I don't agree with.

IND 223
RSA 17/1 (8) CRR: 2.12
Day 1: Stumps - South Africa trail by 206 runs

FI1V_e_VEAIf46f

Back