Spoiler alert! India will lose the Test series 2024-2025 against Australia despite their current formidable form

Will India lose the Test series 2024-2025 against Australia despite their current formidable form?

• Yes, they will

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • No, they won't

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • It would be a draw

Votes: 8 15.4%

• Total voters
A lot of guys here haven't gone through the itenary, India are playing 1st test at Perth, 2nd at Brisbane & 3rd at Adelaide(d/n).

Australia have prepared this itenary to put India under pressure straightaway with the bounce at Perth & Brisbane. Adelaide is again a very difficult venue for India with Australia winning all d/n test matches held there & 36 allout will linger in India's minds.

By the boxing day test which is the 4th test at MCG, we will get the true picture of where India would stand in terms of regaining BGT.

Most probably it will be a draw 2-2 with Warner less Australia having the edge.

Most posters here have forgotten about R Ashwin's contribution & his record against Australia. He should play in all test matches, did well with both bat & ball in last series in Australia.

Ravi Shastri predicts outcome of Border-Gavaskar series

The former India coach thinks the Asian side can complete a hat-trick of series triumphs in Australia.

India great Ravi Shastri is tipping his former side to continue their recent dominance in the Border-Gavaskar Trophy and defeat Australia in the eagerly-awaited upcoming series between the two Test nations.

India have won the last two Test series Down Under and have held onto the coveted Border-Gavaskar Trophy since Australia claimed a 2-0 series triumph on home soil at the start of 2015.

While Australia gained some revenge over their rivals when they defeated India in the ICC World Test Championship final at The Oval last year, Shastri knows Pat Cummins' side will be keen to re-claim the Border-Gavaskar Trophy when the two teams meet Down Under for a five-match series that commences in November.

Australia legend Ricky Ponting predicted a 3-1 series scoreline to his former side when speaking recently on The ICC Review and Shastri has taken his turn to have his say ahead of the crucial World Test Championship series.

Batting the key for India

While India won the most recent Test series in Australia 2-1 under the watchful coaching eye of Shastri, their batting struggled at various stages of the tour and none more so than when they were skittled for just 36 in the second innings of the pink-ball Test in Adelaide.

India will be reliant on their experienced top-order that includes skipper Rohit Sharma and former captain Virat Kohli and Shastri believes their batters must fire if they want to retain the Border-Gavaskar Trophy.

"The Border-Gavaskar Trophy in Australia over five Test matches is going to be a humdinger," Shastri said.

"Remember, India have beaten Australia twice on the last two tours and Australia have not had a hand on the Border-Gavaskar Trophy in almost a decade and that's the reason why everyone will be waiting for these two heavyweights of Test match cricket over the last five to eight years to go head-to-head.

"It is going to be one heck of a series and India have every chance of making it a hat-trick because they've got their bowlers fit and if they can bat well, they can tickle (beat) Australia once again."

Aussies out for revenge on home soil

Shastri knows Australia will be hurting after successive series defeats at home against India and expects them to come out breathing fire.

The first Test will be held in Perth and Shastri thinks Australia's strong fast bowling line-up will be relishing the opportunity to take on India's batters across the five-match series.

"We know what Australia will be wanting (revenge)," Shastri noted.

"They will be thirsty, they'd be looking to go at the throats of the Indians because they’ve been beaten there (in Australia) twice.

"The attack is pretty much the same. One of the greatest fast bowling attacks – [one of the greatest] all-round attacks when you add Nathan Lyon there – in a long, long time. And one of the best in the history of the game. They'll be looking for those 20 wickets, game after game to help Australia win the series."

Mouth-watering match-ups on the field

Shastri is expecting a host of one-on-one battles between the world's best to play out throughout the series and believes the team that will come out trumps will be the one that wins more of these head-to-head encounters.

"It's going to be India's batting against the Australian fast bowlers," Shastri suggested.

"And of course, the Indian bowling attack is going to be something everyone will be waiting to see.

"With (Jasprit) Bumrah fit, (Mohammed) Shami fit, you've got Mohammed Siraj there. You've got the likes of (Ravinchandran) Ashwin and (Ravindra) Jadeja and some very good bench strength as well.

"One can't wait for that series to start and (I think) India can do the hat-trick (of series victories in Australia)."

Jaiswal will be tested in Australian conditions.
Indians have done well in Australia with batting compared to other teams.

In Australia

In the last 10 years 12 tests 13 centuries by Indians
39 tests 20 centuries by rest of the world.

Even Mayank made his debut on boxing day test made 74 or something.

Indians have done well in Australia with batting compared to other teams.

In Australia

In the last 10 years 12 tests 13 centuries by Indians
39 tests 20 centuries by rest of the world.

Even Mayank made his debut on boxing day test made 74 or something.

Yes but I am not talking in general. I feel Jaiswal might be tested vs Australia because of being an opener and it is also his first tour.

Yes but I am not talking in general. I feel Jaiswal might be tested vs Australia because of being an opener and it is also his first tour.

One of the biggest plus of Jaiswal is his temperament. My only worry is he has played both T20 and Tests. I just want him to carry that T20 habits into the Test. That is the danger. Otherwise if he shows the same temperament he showed in first class and Tests he will do just fine. Especially short balls on those big grounds. Taking them on ls a low percentage task.

Who is going to Play Pujara role this time? I don't Think anyone can Play .

Pujara was one of the main reason why we won back to back test series .

India don’t have a real anchor anymore and that’s a big negative. Tests are 5 days and we don’t have anyone who can really dig in and tire out the opposition bowlers like Pujara did. Unfortunately, this is a new crop of dashing batsmen who will score 320 runs at best in an innings and lose the game in 4 days against the Aussies in Australia.
With the current batters, they will bring in the slips in play always. They don’t have the defensive game to withstand pressure or the best technique to play spin on Day 4/5 pitches.
Frankly, it was a good run in Australia while it lasted, but it’s time to temper down the expectations.

Indians and Aussies are both equally excited for it, for Indians it is a matter to make history but for Aussies it would be a matter of pride.

On Aus pitches you need around 650 runs per test to win or atleast try to draw game.

This is very difficult without 2 inform accumulators. Kohli is not Kohli anymore and there isnt a Pujara or Vijay.

You can expect the odd high class inns from Rohit/Gill/KLR/Pant but they are not 400-500 run series banks.

Jaiswal is too young, Kohli too far gone to be a bank.

The weakness of Indian tail (Bumrah, Shami, Siraj) will also be exposed. From a 270/6 score Aus will back themselves to reach 350 regularly and on a good day close to 400. Meanwhile from similar situation India will easily be rolled for 300 and lucky to reach 325

Only player i trust in current form is weirdly Ravindra Jadeja. He is the low risk accumulator in this line up. Pant is going to be a high risk player. So far he has dominated in both the series that India won. This is after injury. His out put has been indifferent so far. no.3 is pivotal spot in Australia. Gill has to have a box office series for India to get anywhere. Also scoring too quickly is also not ideal. You still need to keep the AUssies on the field for long periods to hurt them.

Yep, I too think this series is beyond us.

3-1 Australia with a draw.

Good on Australia if they manage to win. But they are in no way favorites to win this series.

Couldn’t care less who wins, just want a good series.

With Pakistan increasingly getting worse and worse every year that even the most delusional fan has given up on them, when I watch other teams play I just want to see a good fight.

Gill will have to take over Pujara's role. He needs to drop anchor, bat big & make big runs as he has the technique to counter the Australian bowlers. The pitches also don't offer swing & seam except maybe at Brisbane & Adelaide.

Contribution of Rahul/Iyer/Sarfaraz/Ruturaj at #5 will be the key to success for India.

India need to fit both Ashwin & Jadeja at Adelaide, Sydney & Melbourne.

Never have seen any non ashes series being hyped that much. Hopefully it lives up to that hype.

I generally keep my expectations low when India tours Australia. Been the case since late 90s. Apart from 2 tours India competed very well there in Australia. Even before 1990s barring one series in 1992 India absolutely dominated 1985/86 series. Had a chance to white wash them.Miraculously they survived from that. 1981 Famous MCG test. This time also i keep my expectations low.

Bumrah
Shami if back
Siraj
Akashdeep
Harshit rana
Nitish reddy
Avesh khan

Solid depth and great attack if fully fit.

Standby
Mayank yadav pending
Kuldeep Sen if fit

Biggest concern is shami post injury. I would have nitish and harshit both playing. Harshit has high potential.

I wouldn't give up on himanshu either. If he gets fit he can be a real threat. Avesh surprisingly has done well in duleep trophy.

100 Days to go for Boarder-Gavaskar Trophy

Predict the scoreline of the series
I predict 2-1 Australia. India ravaged by a few injuries. Too many newbies. You never know. I said 2-1 loss last time too and India reversed it and won 2-1.

Should never be a 5 tests series though. No away team likes to stay that long in a series.

I think this is Australia's series to win. 3-2 IMO
India has a great team to challenge them but it is going be one hell of a series for sure.

Last edited:
Whatever happens I hope all our young brigade to come good .If sarfaraz can survive at 5 and oust rahul,it will be icing on the cake

I predict 2-1 Australia. India ravaged by a few injuries. Too many newbies. You never know. I said 2-1 loss last time too and India reversed it and won 2-1.

Should never be a 5 tests series though. No away team likes to stay that long in a series.

How can there be 2 draws in this day and age?

I am gonna go against the groupthink here and say India will win easily. India always turn up for the Aussies series. Indian players have (not all but most) have experiences of playing in Australia now and plus the most importantly, Aussie bowlers are getting a bit older in tooth now. There is only so much there body can take given that it is 5 tests in the series.

It will be 3-2 to India. Kohli post T20 retirement will once again be in runs. He has the mental clarity now and I think he wants to improve his test avaerage. I also expect Jaiswal and Pant to do well there. Bowling is equal but India has advantage in batting if they manage Travis Head well

India haven't lost a test series to Australia since 2014. This is the biggest achievement in Indian cricket history

Indian batting looks a bit unsettled to me. Rohit and Kohli are no longer their prime and few youngsters will be on their first Aussie tour
Smith is not in prime and is also opening , Mitchell Marsh is not a good test batsman, Labuschagne seems off color and hasn’t done well against strong bowling lineups.

If Indian batting is unsettled then so is the Australian lineup.

We will thrash them again and make it 3 test series wins in a row in Australia.

Blockbuster series. Absolutely mouth watering prospect as a neutral. India I think will win it.

Blockbuster series. Absolutely mouth watering prospect as a neutral. India I think will win it.
Not sure if India will win. But blockbuster series for sure. Not just on the field, but off the field too.

Aus v India
Smith v Bumrah
Cummins v Sharma
Hazlewood v Kholi
Lyon v Pant
Asics v Adidas
Kookaburra/Grey Nichols v Ceat/MRF/SG

Add to these all the tickets sold, with the largest Indian fans presence expected. Food & Beverage sales, etc., etc. One could say it is almost a Taylor Swift concert type mini economy.

I don't think there is any chance of Australia winning this one.
2-2 or 3-2 to India.
Beyond stupid to suggest Australia have no chance. Kohli averages 33 since the turn of the decade, KL career average is 34, bowling attack is ageing and replacements may not be of the same quality as seen in Duleep Trophy .

In a 5 Test series at home, OZ start clear favourites.

Whatever happens, I don't think the achievement of a visiting country winning two series in Australia consecutively will ever happen again. Some find it tough to even draw a match.

Speaking to Alyssa Healy on the Willow Talk podcast, Lyon said that he had been thinking about BGT since the time he saw England tour India early this year

The spinner also said that he has had an eye on the series for a long time now and went on to reveal his prediction.

"It’s been 10 years since we have won the Border-Gavaskar Trophy. I started thinking about this series when England were over in India, watching them to go about it. I love the game and I will watch a decent Test match but I have eyes on this series for a long time now. My prediction is 5-0 to Australia,” Lyon told Alyssa Healy on the 'Willow Talk' podcast.

Lyon also sent a message to the Australian batters to score big runs against a formidable Indian bowling lineup. The spinner wanted the likes of Steve Smith, Marnus Labuschagne, and Travis Head to get big scores like 180 and 200 instead of 101 or 107.

"We need big runs. We need the guys, who are talented enough to get the hundred. The likes of Steve Smith, Marnus Labuschagne, and Travis Head, all the top order. I don’t want 101 or 107, I want 180 and 200," Lyon said in the same interaction.

Lyon is the leading wicket-taker in Border Gavaskar trophy with 121 wickets from 27 matches at an average of 31.56. This will be the first time India and Australia will take part in a 5-match Test series. The first Test will start on November 22 in Perth.

Jason Gillespie in a recent interview has favored Australia as favorites to win the Border& Gavaskar Trophy:

"They are the best bowlers in the country. Their records speak for themselves. This quartet, including Nathon Lyon, is the best possible bowling attack that Australia can put out in the park. I will be backing them in and I am sure they can do the job,"

"India, they are red-hot, they have been playing some wonderful Test cricket for a while now. Even though they have beaten Australia in recent times. I think Australia have a chance to beat India this time around,"

"David Warner has been the wonder player for Australia in the format for a long time. Players like Warner are pretty tough to replace. I didn't mind the idea of Steve Smith going up in the order. I have a feeling that he might have a slot back in the middle order to bat at 4."

"I think, whether they go back to domestic cricket and reward performance at the top of the order from the number of players who've done well, or if they feel that there's six batters they have then Travis Head is possibly the option that they go to."

"If Travis did get that opportunity, I think he will grab it with both hands. But he has done really well in the middle order for Australia and that counterattacking role... So, I suppose Australia would lose that in a sense, but what they would get someone probably similar to David Warner,"

Ishant sharma bounced out Travis head in the first tour and Bumrah was all over him as well. But somehow India lost their tactics wrong after that againts Head. Hope think tank does a better job against Head. If you block certain areas he takes extra risk and in the process gets out.

Ishant sharma bounced out Travis head in the first tour and Bumrah was all over him as well.
Unavailability of Bumrah made his life easier on India pitches in bgt. Lack of plan until reverting back to bumpers made his life easy in wtc finals.First 3 matches are in bowling pitches with bounce and swing ,so it's very interesting to see.

About time , they haven’t won it in the last decade if im not wrong? Did they last win 2014-15?

I just hope it is not a white wash and we don't see 500-600 declared innings from AUS, bad old days of Dhoni and his predecessors where our bowling is cannon fodder.

Back