Sudan in crisis

chaiwala

T20I Debutant
Runs
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/world/africa/10sudan.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print
July 9, 2011
After Years of Struggle, South Sudan Becomes a New Nation
By JEFFREY GETTLEMAN
JUBA, South Sudan — The celebrations erupted at midnight. Thousands of revelers poured into Juba’s steamy streets in the predawn hours on Saturday, hoisting enormous flags, singing, dancing and leaping on the back of cars.

“Freedom!” they screamed.

A new nation was being born in what used to be a forlorn, war-racked patch of Africa, and to many it seemed nothing short of miraculous. After more than five decades of an underdog, guerrilla struggle and two million lives lost, the Republic of South Sudan, Africa’s 54th state, was about to declare its independence in front of a who’s who of Africa, including the president of the country letting it go: Omar Hassan al-Bashir of Sudan, a war-crimes suspect.

Many of those who turned out to celebrate, overcome with emotion, spoke of their fathers, mothers, sons and daughters killed in the long struggle to break free from the Arab-dominated north.

“My whole body feels happy,” said George Garang, an English teacher who lost his father, grandfather and 11 brothers in the war.

By sunrise, the crowds were surging through the streets of Juba, the capital, to the government quarter, where the declaration of independence would be read aloud. Thousands of soldiers lined the freshly painted curbs, tiger patches on their arms, assault rifles in their hands. This new nation is being built on a guerrilla army — the Sudan People’s Liberation Army, whose field commanders are now South Sudan’s political leaders — and the amount of firepower here is unnerving.

By 9 a.m., the sun was dangerous. The faces, necks and arms of the people packed thousands deep around a parade stand built for the occasion were glazed with sweat. A woman abruptly slumped to the dirt and was whisked away.

“She fainted because she’s happy,” said a man in the crowd. “There will be many others today.”

In a column of black polished steel, one brand-new Mercedes after another, came the African leaders: Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe’s president; Jacob Zuma, South Africa’s; Meles Zenawi, prime minister of Ethiopia; Teodoro Obiang, Equatorial Guinea’s president and chairman of the African Union; Mwai Kibaki, Kenya’s president; and Yoweri Museveni, president of Uganda, among others.

But, almost inexplicably, Mr. Bashir, who for years prosecuted a vicious war to keep the south from splitting off and to prevent this very day from happening, drew the loudest burst of applause when his motorcade rolled in.

“It is not happiness,” explained Daniel Atem, dressed in a suit and tie for the occasion, a miniflag flying from his lapel. “If you are talking to your enemy, you cannot say, You are bad.” But, he added, “you know what is in your heart.”

From the mid-1950s, even before Sudan shook off its colonial yoke in 1956, the southern Sudanese were chafing for more rights. Sudan had an unusually clear fault line, reinforced by British colonizers, with the southern third mostly animist and Christian and the northern part majority Muslim and long dominated by Arabs.

The southern struggle blew up into a full-fledged rebellion in the 1960s and then again in the 1980s, and the Sudanese government responded brutally, bombing villages and unleashing Arab militias that massacred civilians and enslaved southern Sudanese children. Many of the same scorched-earth tactics associated with the crisis in Darfur, in Sudan’s west, in the mid-2000s, were tried and tested long before that here in southern Sudan. (The International Criminal Court has indicted Mr. Bashir on genocide charges for the Darfur massacres.)

The central government also sowed divisions among the southerners, turning ethnic groups against one another. Some of the most unspeakable violence, like the Bor massacre in 1991 when toddlers were impaled on fence posts, was internecine.

Christian groups had been championing the southern Sudanese since the 19th century. And their efforts paid off in 2000 when George W. Bush was elected president of the United States. He elevated Sudan to near the top of his foreign policy agenda, and in 2005, the American government pushed the southern rebels and the central government — both war weary and locked in a military stalemate — to sign a comprehensive peace agreement that guaranteed the southerners the right to secede.

On Saturday, one man held up a sign that said “Thank You George Bush.”

The American-backed treaty set the stage for a referendum this January in which southerners voted by 98.8 percent for independence.

At 1:20 p.m. on Saturday, the southerners officially proclaimed their freedom.

“Recalling the long and heroic struggle of our people,” began the legislative speaker, James Wani Igga.

A few minutes later, the flag of Sudan was lowered and the new South Sudan flag (actually quite similar, plus a star) was raised. The masses exploded in one loud roar.

“Mabrook Janoob Sudan!” they yelled. “Congratulations South Sudan!”

South Sudan’s president, Salva Kiir, wearing his signature black cowboy hat given to him by Mr. Bush, signed the interim Constitution. Then the speeches began.

“This is a beautiful day for Africa,” said Joseph Deiss, president of the United Nations General Assembly. “This is a remarkable achievement, a longstanding conflict has been stopped.”

Perhaps. But South Sudan — Texas-size and with about eight million people — is already plagued by ethnic tensions and rebellions. More than a half-dozen renegade groups are battling the government, some with thousands of fighters. And relations with the north are still dicey. Negotiators have yet to agree on a formula to split the revenue from the south’s oilfields, which have kept the economies of both southern and northern Sudan afloat. And Mr. Bashir’s army has been pounding southern-allied rebels who have refusing to disarm just north of the border in the Nuba Mountains, which some analysts worry could drag the whole region back into a full-scale war.

This is why Mr. Bashir’s presence here was such a curiosity. He did sign the peace agreement in 2005, and many southerners, however mixed their feelings are, are grateful to him for that.

He seemed in a magnanimous mood on Saturday.

“This moment came through peace,” Mr. Bashir said. “We must respect it.”

He even thanked the United Nations for its hard work and said he wanted to bring peace to Darfur, though he did slip in, “Sudan’s unity would have been better,” but “I convinced myself that unity shouldn’t be through war.”

Mr. Kiir then shared a few words.

“We have waited for more than 56 years for this,” he said. “It is a dream that has come true.”

“This land has seen untold suffering and death,” he added, somberly. “We have been bombed enslaved and treated worse than a refugee in our own country. We have to forgive, though we will not forget.”

The independence ceremony then wrapped up much in the way the struggle began: with a barrage of very loud cannon shots. The crowd pumped their fists in the air and hollered, “South Sudan, oh yay!”

Josh Kron contributed reporting.

Discuss.

The South Sudanese rely heavily on the oil revenues,some of said oil passes through the North. Clean drinking water is scarce and literacy rates are low - primary school education is not easily accessible.

Some big decisions are to be made for the newcomers.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the people!

btw, is it a theocracy (islamic state) or a secular one? ..just curious

i thought the ones in South were Christian?
Or is it the other way around?

must be christians then, dont know much about sudan myself, all i know is that there are many muslims living there and even osama took refuge there for a while

The South is mostly Christian.

The North consists of mainly Arab Muslims.

The South is mostly Christian.

The North consists of mainly Arab Muslims.

The south consists of oil, gold, diamonda and other resources.

The North consists of: Sand

Very unfortunate :hafeez

When will we Muslims understand ....

This is destined to happen till the army takes of from: Khorasan :afridi

Muslims are yet to see more harder times.

its really frustrating , its like either u do what u r supposed to do when being subjected to suppression .. or u dont even utter a word , turn a blind eye , cover ur ears , eyes . Most of the Muslims have taken the later as a choice .

anyways .... Thats why we have employed Special units of Revolutionary Guards all over the khorasan region ..... so when the time comes ...

^^but if u do the first one..............they call u terrorists/taliban

aur ooper se garmi bari hai to inqilaab kaisay aye ga :zohairtoru

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=132431

Beware Pakistan.

The Caliph Ali (RA) narrated as follows: "I heard the Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallam) as saying that as the Day of Qiyamah approaches there will appear a group of youths with a low mental capacity and understanding, apparently they will talk of good but their Imaan will not go beyond their throat and they will leave the true Deen like an arrow leaves the prey. Wherever you find them, you should make Jihad with them." (Sahih Bukhari pp/1024)

Good for them. North Sudan had it coming for being very oppressive to the Christian south and using their resources without developing the South.

Congrats! Its all good and well creating a new nation but i hope they dont go the way of some of the other african countries, where war, disease, corruption and famine is rife

Source was the demographics section of South Sudan's Wikipedia page.Dont know how reliable it is but one thing that stands out is how many languages they have !

i can understand peoples need for apparent liberty and freedom but ive never been a fan of splitting countries into small economiccaly unviable territories on sectarian lines.

altho bashirs rule is oppressive and quite discrimanatory against the african southerners i dont see how south sudan can be a viable country, most likely it will become another african basket case.

also i dont see bashir not being tempted to creating instability in the south, i see some form of attritional conflict as the most obvious outcome.

i can understand peoples need for apparent liberty and freedom but ive never been a fan of splitting countries into small economiccaly unviable territories on sectarian lines.

altho bashirs rule is oppressive and quite discrimanatory against the african southerners i dont see how south sudan can be a viable country, most likely it will become another african basket case.

also i dont see bashir not being tempted to creating instability in the south, i see some form of attritional conflict as the most obvious outcome.

People said the same about Pakistan didn't they however decades later you're still alive and kicking?

Sometimes different communities just cannot live with each other in peace and splitting up larger nations is the only solution.

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=132431

Beware Pakistan.

The Caliph Ali (RA) narrated as follows: "I heard the Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallam) as saying that as the Day of Qiyamah approaches there will appear a group of youths with a low mental capacity and understanding, apparently they will talk of good but their Imaan will not go beyond their throat and they will leave the true Deen like an arrow leaves the prey. Wherever you find them, you should make Jihad with them." (Sahih Bukhari pp/1024)

These are the Khawarij that arise through history from the time of Hazrat Ali, to the Hashasheen, to the modern day Al Qaida and co, Note this does not include the Taliban who were a legitimate Government who have been unjustly represented by those who had no authority to displace them in the first place so as to hide their own crimes

People said the same about Pakistan didn't they however decades later you're still alive and kicking?

Sometimes different communities just cannot live with each other in peace and splitting up larger nations is the only solution.

yes that is true, however if you jusdge objectivaly it is obvious you cannot compare pakistans geography and resources to those of south sudan.

pakistan had fairly abundant natural resources for its own requirements at independence, apart from oil we had pretty much everything we needed.

from what i see of sudan, and what i have heard of pakistan in 47, the level of poverty in modern south sudan is higher than that of pakistan in 47, south sudan is also susceptible (spelling?) to famine due to droughts and not very fertile land. pakistan historically never had a problem with feeding its people.

majority of south sudans income will rely on oil in the north of the country, oil which is pipelined through northern sudan. i dont think they will make any easy deals with the south.

south sudan is land locked, if its neighbours decide they dont want to play ball, in terms of trading globally south sudan will be trapped, pakistan has always had access to an ocean, and before '71, had geographically varied ports from where it could trade.

lastly i have no doubt the government of the new south will be corrupt and exploititive, you can say im being prejudiced or whatever but that is my own view.

Your reply highlights the point i was trying to make, unless you can see a economically viable way to run a country with trustworthy leadership i dont see the point in splitting up a country. This process should have taken 10 or 15 years imo, first through federalisation, then proper autonomisation (i dont know if thats a word, but you get the idea), and then gradually to independence.

even in 1947 pakistan and india were created in a haphazard and rushed manner costing millions of lives, but that is a topic for another discussion.

i hope i am proved wrong and south sudan does become economically viable and prosper, but i cant see how that would happen. good luck to them anyway.

These are the Khawarij that arise through history from the time of Hazrat Ali, to the Hashasheen, to the modern day Al Qaida and co, Note this does not include the Taliban who were a legitimate Government who have been unjustly represented by those who had no authority to displace them in the first place so as to hide their own crimes

What or who are the Khwarij?
What are their signs?

yes that is true, however if you jusdge objectivaly it is obvious you cannot compare pakistans geography and resources to those of south sudan.

pakistan had fairly abundant natural resources for its own requirements at independence, apart from oil we had pretty much everything we needed.

from what i see of sudan, and what i have heard of pakistan in 47, the level of poverty in modern south sudan is higher than that of pakistan in 47, south sudan is also susceptible (spelling?) to famine due to droughts and not very fertile land. pakistan historically never had a problem with feeding its people.

majority of south sudans income will rely on oil in the north of the country, oil which is pipelined through northern sudan. i dont think they will make any easy deals with the south.

south sudan is land locked, if its neighbours decide they dont want to play ball, in terms of trading globally south sudan will be trapped, pakistan has always had access to an ocean, and before '71, had geographically varied ports from where it could trade.

lastly i have no doubt the government of the new south will be corrupt and exploititive, you can say im being prejudiced or whatever but that is my own view.

Your reply highlights the point i was trying to make, unless you can see a economically viable way to run a country with trustworthy leadership i dont see the point in splitting up a country. This process should have taken 10 or 15 years imo, first through federalisation, then proper autonomisation (i dont know if thats a word, but you get the idea), and then gradually to independence.

even in 1947 pakistan and india were created in a haphazard and rushed manner costing millions of lives, but that is a topic for another discussion.

i hope i am proved wrong and south sudan does become economically viable and prosper, but i cant see how that would happen. good luck to them anyway.

Bangladesh during independence had hardly any natural resources either (barring naural gas), most industries destroyed, no communication structure to talk about. No leaders with experience of running a country. A country only better than ethiopia in per capita GDP. Relied on 85% + aid for its budget implementation. Most intellectuals martyred... And after 40 years we think we are a happier nation than the one we broke from!!!! Sudan shall also survive...

The world's newest country marks the fifth anniversary of its independence today.

S Sudan: More than 100 dead on independence anniversary
Scores of soldiers reported to be dead after fighting erupts in Juba, with fears growing of a return to all-out war.

At least 115 soldiers from different armed factions in South Sudan have died after gun battles broke out across the capital Juba on the eve of the country's fifth independence anniversary, according to reports.

The fighting on Friday began outside the presidential compound as President Salva Kiir was meeting with first vice president and former rebel leader Riek Machar and soon spread through the city.

An Al Jazeera correspondent later saw bodies of soldiers on the lawn in the compound.

William Gatjiath Deng, spokesman for Machar's military faction, said the fighting had occurred near the state house and in army barracks.

"In the morning we collected and counted 35 (dead) from the SPLM-IO (Machar's faction) and 80 people from the government forces," he was quoted as saying by the Reuters news agency on Saturday.

Local broadcaster Radio Tamazuj put the number of total deaths to 146.

South Sudan was founded with celebrations in the capital on July 9, 2011, after it gained independence from Sudan in a referendum that passed with close to 100 percent of the vote.

READ MORE: South Sudan cancels independence celebrations

The majority of the bodies the hospital were soldiers, the doctor said speaking on condition of anonymity because he feared for his safety.

Rivals Kiir and Machar appealed for calm as fears grew in Juba of a return to civil war. Many people, worried for their safety, stayed indoors on Saturday and the streets were almost deserted except for soldiers.

Al Jazeera's John Hendren, reporting from Juba, said: "You don't see a lot of people on the streets here. UN Peacekeepers believe it's too unsafe. The people of Juba are in a very, very unstable situation."

Nobody has claimed responsibility for the attacks, which our correspondent said were "long and sustained".

He said: "I don't think it's possible to overstate the potential impact of the attack on the government compound. This was an effort to topple that government."

'Running for safety'

Gunfire continued into the night on Friday outside a UN base in Juba sheltering more than 25,000 people.

Budbud Chol, who oversees security at a clinic inside the base, said on Saturday they had received about 40 people wounded by gunfire, all but three of them men.

"They are still coming up to now. All of them are gunshot," Chol said.

Chol said many of the wounded were hit in crossfire outside the UN base. One woman was hit by a stray bullet inside the base.

The latest series of violence began on Thursday night with fighting between opposing army factions who are supposed to be carrying out joint patrols under a fragile peace deal reached last year.

That shooting, which killed five soldiers, was similar to the skirmish between soldiers in Juba in December 2013 that led to the civil war in which tens of thousands of people were killed.

"Thousands of people started running for safety," Al Jazeera's Haru Mutasa reported from a refugee camp in Wau. "Many have ended up here at this UN makeshift camp."

WATCH: Al Jazeera talks to Salva Kiir and Riek Machar

Wau is one of South Sudan's biggest cities.

"About 19,000 people were in this camp. We're told that 4,000 more people have arrived here," Mutasa said. "Most of the IDPs here are women, children and the elderly ... they fear the peace deal could unravel and because they were so scared, they left their homes."

Thousands of others were taking shelter in a church and school in Wau, with many others hiding in the bush.

Andrew Gethi of the International Organisation for Migration told Al Jazeera: "We cannot rule out more people coming in because 8 million people are insecure in the country ... We're currently engaged in expanding the camp. Currently, there are just 2.7 square metres per person - this is way below the standard. We want to make it at least 3.5 square metres per person."

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/...independence-anniversary-160709090438275.html

a1eea9c82ea6480da4f01fd3935ad0b4_6.jpg

45159a7463c14c29b49ed021429c486a_6.jpg

Some things are just messed up.

So many hopeless countries in the world.

It will take another 50 years for them to be (hopefully) stable.

Things are dire in South Sudan. While they are asking others to feed their starving population they are wasting money on arms.

The government of South Sudan is spending its oil revenue on weapons, even as the country descends into a famine largely caused by Juba's military operations, according to a confidential United Nations report.

The report by a panel of experts, whose findings were dismissed by South Sudan's government, calls for an arms embargo on the country - a measure rejected by the Security Council during a vote in December.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.al...an-buying-weapons-famine-170317200215330.html

And to buy more weopons and no doubt line their own pockets the leaders of South Sudan are trying to rob aid workers.

Aid agencies say they are urgently seeking clarity from the South Sudanese government after it signalled that it would ramp up the cost of work permits for foreign aid workers, days after a famine was declared in the country.

Aid groups said the move by the labour ministry to increase the cost of permits from $100 to up to $10,000 (£8,230) was “terrible timing” in a country where 100,000 people are starving and a further 1 million are on the brink of starvation.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...amine-south-sudan-move-raise-fees-aid-workers

Things going from bad to worse in South Sudan.

(JUBA, South Sudan) — In war-torn South Sudan 1.25 million people are facing starvation, double the number from the same time last year, according to a report by the United Nations and the government released Monday.

This country could once again plunge into famine in 2018, warn humanitarian groups and the government.

http://time.com/5012793/south-sudan-starvation-famine-conflict/

Read in many places that with Manufacturing starting to move from China to Africa (India will miss that bus), the European / US powers are in a rush to conduct small operations there, so that they get favors from the establishments which will help their corporations setting up bases there.

This is so sad and not surprising. Africa in particular but you can add most of the muslim world and many others around the world are very vulnerable to predatory elites who will steal everything and hide it in Switzerland and other off shore havens. These people dont feel the pain of their own people, lack any morality and claim victimisation when they are caught. Does this characteristic sound familiar for anyone we know and discuss every day on this forum.

That turned out to be a pretty good reading of the situation.

So they got independence then why are they still fighting? They got freedom from majority north Sudan and not smaller factions all want power for themselves? Power struggle at the cost of the lives of your people disgraceful leadership..

My grandad was an engineer who did a lot of overseas work for Royal Dutch Shell, and Sudan was one of his favourite countries. He loved the Sudanese people. He died back in 2002 and I think he would have been distraught to see the country splitting up and all of the consequences since. Come to think of it he had similar positive views of Iraq and the Iraqi people, so he would have been gutted about that situation as well.

South Sudan may be heading towards genocide

Widespread ethnic cleansing, burning villages, looming starvation, and gang rape “so prevalent that it’s become ‘normal.’” This is what UN experts found when they took a 10-day trip to the African country of South Sudan in late November.

Now they’re sounding the alarm, warning that South Sudan, the world’s newest country, is “on the brink of catastrophe” that could rival the horrors of the 1994 Rwandan genocide. In that conflict, some 800,000 people were slaughtered in the span of just 100 days while the international community watched, unable or unwilling to stop the bloodshed. Former President Bill Clinton has called his decision not to intervene one of the biggest regrets of his presidency.

https://www.vox.com/world/2016/12/8/13817072/south-sudan-crisis-explained-ethnic-cleansing-genocide

no outrage of the world over this

There is no reason for the world to cry. The west looks after it's own affairs. Don't blame the west if it does not defend other continents. It is accused of interfering if it attempts to somehow bring peace. With the population there being majority Christian can't accuse the west of only caring about it's own here. I have said so many times that the UN is just an extension of western foreign policy.

D35rVG_WsAEPUkT

Pope kisses feet of South Sudan leaders, urging them to keep the peace

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Francis, in a dramatic gesture after an unprecedented retreat at the Vatican, knelt to kiss the feet of South Sudan’s previously warring leaders on Thursday as he urged them to not return to a civil war.

He appealed to President Salva Kiir, his former deputy turned rebel leader Riek Machar, and three other vice presidents to respect an armistice they signed and commit to forming a unity government next month.

“I am asking you as a brother to stay in peace. I am asking you with my heart, let us go forward. There will be many problems but they will not overcome us. Resolve your problems,” Francis said in improvised remarks.

The leaders appeared to be stunned as the 82-year-old pope, who suffers from chronic leg pain, was helped by aides as he knelt with difficulty to kiss the shoes of the two main opposing leaders and several other people in the room.

His appeal was made even more pressing as anxiety grew in South Sudan that Thursday’s coup in neighbouring Sudan might put at risk the fragile peace deal that ended South Sudan’s brutal five-year civil war.

The Vatican brought together South Sudanese leaders for 24 hours of prayer and preaching inside the pope’s residence in an attempt to heal bitter divisions before the country is due to set up a unity government.

“There will be struggles, disagreements among you but keep them within you, inside the office, so to speak,” Francis said in Italian as an aide translated into English. “But in front of the people, hold hands united. So, as simple citizens, you will become fathers of the nation.”

Sudan, which is predominantly Muslim, and the mainly Christian south fought for decades before South Sudan became independent in 2011. South Sudan plunged into civil war two years later after Kiir, a Dinka, fired Machar, from the Nuer ethnic group, from the vice presidency.

About 400,000 people died and more than a third of the country’s 12 million people were uprooted, sparking Africa’s worst refugee crisis since the 1994 Rwandan genocide.

The two sides signed a power-sharing deal in September calling on the main rival factions to assemble, screen and train their respective forces to create a national army before the formation of a unity government next month.

In his prepared address earlier on Thursday, Francis said South Sudan’s people were exhausted by war and the leaders had a duty to build their young nation in justice. He also repeated his wish to visit the country along with other religious leaders to solidify the peace.

Others who attended the retreat were the Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, who is spiritual leader of the worldwide Anglican community, members of the South Sudan Council of Churches, and other Catholic and Presbyterian Church leaders from Africa. Welby had proposed the idea of the retreat to the pope.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-p...s-urging-them-to-keep-the-peace-idUKKCN1RN27O

A head of state and religious leader literally kissing the feet of others - have never seen or heard of anything like it before.

What a weird thing to do. That gesture is hardly going to stop them if they are truly intent on fighting and a lot of it depends on the military leader of Sudan who has already declared he is going to be in charge for 2 years

South Sudan Violence Has Killed 166 Civilians, Displaced Over 20,000: UN

Violence in South Sudan's Upper Nile state has killed 166 civilians and displaced more than 20,000 since August amid an escalation in clashes between armed groups, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights said on Wednesday.

Violence is rife in parts of South Sudan where clashes triggered by domestic disputes over grazing areas, water, cultivation grounds and other resources often turn deadly.

The UN refugee agency said last week the conflict was a continuation of fighting that started in August in a village in Upper Nile, and has since spread to other parts of the state and areas of Jonglei and Unity states.

"These killings, along with reports of gender-based violence, abductions, destruction of property and looting, are severe human rights violations and abuses and must stop," UN human rights chief Volker Turk said in a statement.

The latest bloodshed risks spreading beyond the region, Mr Turk said, unless local authorities and community leaders act quickly to de-escalate tension between the armed groups.

"It is important that the government of South Sudan conducts a prompt, thorough and impartial investigation into the violence and brings all those responsible to account in accordance with international law," he said.

Religious leaders in the region have warned the clashes between rival groups of youths have spread into a camp housing people displaced by the violence, expressing concerns it was getting out of hand.

The UNHCR has previously said at least 3,000 people have fled to neighbouring Sudan.

NDTV

56 Killed Over 4 Days Of Ethnic Fighting In South Sudan

Clashes have killed 56 people during four days of fighting in South Sudan's eastern Jonglei state, after youth from the Nuer community attacked another ethnic group, a local official said on Tuesday, with the Nuer making up most of the casualties.

The territory of South Sudan, which gained independence from Sudan in 2011, has been plagued by blood feuds and clashes over cattle and land for decades.

Armed Nuer youth began attacking the Murle community on Dec. 24 in Gumuruk County and Likuangole County, said Abraham Kelang, a government official in the Greater Pibor Administrative Area.

"The government is managing to help the communities, but the fighting is still ongoing," Kelang told Reuters by telephone.

He said 51 of those killed were Nuer attackers, with only five Murle defenders killed.

Last week, the United Nations peacekeeping mission (UNMISS) said armed Nuer youth were being mobilised ahead of a potential raid against the Murle.

UNMISS said it was monitoring the escalation of tensions and violence, and had intensified patrols in and around affected areas.

NDTV

30,000 Displaced In South Sudan After Ethnic Violence

Armed raids in a region of South Sudan plagued by ethnic clashes have forced around 30,000 civilians to flee their homes, the UN's emergency response agency said Thursday as international partners demanded an end to the violence.

On December 24, armed men from Jonglei state, an eastern region beset by gun violence, attacked communities in nearby Greater Pibor Administrative Area, the UN's Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in a statement.

The violence followed clashes last month in South Sudan's far north that uprooted thousands in Upper Nile state.

"People have suffered enough. Civilians, especially those most vulnerable -- women, children, the elderly and the disabled -- bear the brunt of this prolonged crisis," said Sara Beysolow Nyanti, the UN humanitarian coordinator in South Sudan.

Some 5,000 people have sought shelter in Pibor town, OCHA said, adding that the humanitarian response was severely stretched.

The clashes in Upper Nile state have also seen villagers seek shelter in swamps to escape the bloodshed, amid reports of civilians being raped, kidnapped or murdered.

International partners including the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) and the regional IGAD bloc, said in a joint statement Thursday that they were "gravely concerned" by the escalating violence.

They called on South Sudan's leaders to step in, stressing "the need to investigate and hold accountable all perpetrators of the conflict, including those who are instigating and inciting violence."

One of the poorest countries on the planet despite large oil reserves, South Sudan's leadership has faced fierce criticism for failing its people and stoking violence.

Western powers including the United States and European Union said this month that South Sudan's leaders bore responsibility for the deadly clashes.

Since achieving independence from Sudan in 2011, the world's newest nation has lurched from one crisis to another, including a brutal five-year civil war between forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and his deputy Riek Machar that left nearly 400,000 people dead.

A peace deal was signed in 2018 but sporadic bursts of violence between government and opposition forces continue to occur, while conflict between rival ethnic groups in lawless parts of the country exacts a terrible toll on civilians.

NDTV

Gunfire and explosions have been heard in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, after days of tension between a notorious paramilitary force and the country's army.

The dispute centres around a proposed transition to civilian rule.

Reuters is reporting that gunfire has been heard close to the headquarters of the army in the centre of the city.

The paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) say one of their camps in the south of Khartoum has been attacked.

The army has said that RSF fighters are trying to seize the military headquarters.

"Fighters from the Rapid Support Forces attacked several army camps in Khartoum and elsewhere around Sudan," the AFP news agency is quoting army spokesman Brig Gen Nabil Abdallah.

"Clashes are ongoing and the army is carrying out its duty to safeguard the country."

The Reuters news agency is also quoting witnesses as saying that there was gunfire in the northern city of Merowe.

Alarabyia TV is broadcasting pictures of smoke rising from a military camp there, Reuters reports.

Generals have been running the country through what is called the Sovereign Council since a coup in October 2021.

The RSF is under the command of the council's vice-president Gen Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo. The army, meanwhile, is led by Gen Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, who is the head of the Sovereign Council.

A proposed move to a civilian-led government has foundered on the timetable to integrate the RSF into the national army.

The RSF wanted to delay it for 10 years, but the army said it should happen in two years.

Sudan paramilitary group says it has seized presidential palace and Khartoum airport amid clashes with army

The Rapid Support Forces (RSF) and Sudan armed forces (SAF) have been exchanging fire since 9am on Saturday. At least three civilians have been killed, according the Sudan Doctors’ Committee.

The clashes came over a dispute on the timing to integrate the RSF into the SAF as part of a power-sharing deal with the civilians who led protests against the former president Omar al-Bashir in 2019.

They had a two-year power-sharing deal with the army before being interrupted by a military coup in October 2021. The Sudanese people resisted and protests took place across the country. More than 100 people have been killed since then.

Saturday’s clashes spread across the country in north, west and south Darfur, where the RSF has a strong presence.

The RSF was founded by a law introduced in 2013 by Bashir and had been used to fight as the “janjaweed” militas in Darfur.

The RSF claims it has captured the Merowe airport and other strategic locations.

Media reports are saying that 45 solders from the army were injured at the battle of Merowe airport on Saturday morning.

The Guardian

Sudan power struggle enters second day as fighting leaves at least 56 dead
Explosions and gunfire heard in Khartoum in early hours of Sunday amid competing claims on who controls presidential place

Fighting in the Sudanese capital continued into the early hours of Sunday after a day of deadly battles between paramilitaries and the army that left at least 56 people dead and nearly 600 wounded.

Explosions and gunfire could be heard on the deserted streets of Khartoum, according to witnesses, after the paramilitaries of the Rapid Support Force (RSF) said they were in control of the presidential place, Khartoum airport and other vital facilities.

The army denied the claims and late on Saturday the Sudanese air force launched airstrikes on an RSF base in the city of Omdurman, which adjoins Khartoum.

The doctors’ union said at least 56 people had been killed in the fighting, including two at Khartoum airport and the rest in others parts of Sudan. The BBC reported that three UN workers were among the dead.

About 595 others were wounded in the clashes, it added in a statement early on Sunday.

The Guardian

The leaders of Sudan's army and paramilitary group the Rapid Support forces observed a temporary ceasefire after two days of fighting

The four-hour "humanitarian" window on Sunday was for the wounded to be evacuated after clashes were reported across the vast African country

Fierce clashes have been reported across Sudan as fighting between rival armed factions continues to spread.

The escalation came on the second day of clashes between the army and Rapid Support Forces (RSF) paramilitaries which have now left at least 59 dead.

The Sudanese army said it had taken hold of RSF bases in Port Sudan, Kasala, Kadaref, Demazin and Kosti.

The RSF claimed to occupy sites in Omdurman and Darfur, as well as Merowe Airport in the north.

But later accounts indicated that the army had regained control of the airport, with the military saying they were dealing with "small pockets of rebels".

Witnesses in Sudan told Reuters news agency that the army appeared to be gaining the upper hand in the country's power struggle after blasting RSF bases with air strikes.

Earlier, the two sides observed a temporary humanitarian ceasefire to allow the wounded to be evacuated.

It followed complaints from doctors' unions that it was difficult for medics and sick people to get to and from hospitals while the fighting was raging.

BBC

Sudan death toll nears 100 as fighting rages and hospitals run short of supplies
WHO warns some hospitals in Khartoum short of blood and other critical supplies to treat wounded and clashes enter third day

At least 97 people have been killed and hundreds wounded as clashes spread across Sudan, and the World Health Organization (WHO) said some hospitals were running out of critical supplies to treat the injured.

Fighting erupted on Saturday between army units loyal to Gen Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, the head of Sudan’s transitional governing Sovereign Council, and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), led by Gen Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, known as Hemedti, who is deputy head of the council.

It was the first such outbreak of fighting since both groups joined forces to oust the veteran Islamist autocrat Omar al-Bashir in 2019. The violence was sparked by a disagreement over the integration of the RSF into the military as part of a transition towards civilian rule to end the political-economic crisis sparked by a military coup in 2021.

Burhan and Hemedti agreed a three-hour pause in fighting from 4pm local time (1400 GMT to 1700 GMT) to allow humanitarian evacuations proposed by the United Nations, the UN mission in Sudan said, but the deal was widely ignored after a brief period of relative calm.

In a statement early on Monday, the doctors’ trade union said at least 97 civilians have been killed and 365 others injured since fighting erupted.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ing-rages-and-hospitals-run-short-of-supplies

KHARTOUM, April 18 (Reuters) - Sudan's rival commanders agreed to a 24-hour ceasefire from Tuesday evening, after pressure from U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken over fighting that has engulfed the capital Khartoum and saw shots fired at a U.S. diplomatic convoy.

The conflict between Sudan's military leader and his deputy broke out four days ago, triggering what the United Nations has described as a humanitarian catastrophe, including the near collapse of the health system. At least 185 people have been killed in the fighting across the country.

The ceasefire was due to start at 6 p.m. (1600 GMT) and will not extend beyond the agreed 24 hours, Army General Shams El Din Kabbashi, a member of Sudan's ruling military council, said on al Arabiya TV.

Early on Tuesday, gunfire echoed across the capital Khartoum accompanied by the sound of warplanes and explosions. Residents in the neighbouring cities of Omdurman and Bahri reported air strikes that shook buildings and anti-aircraft fire. Fighting also raged in the west of the country, the United Nations said.

In video verified by Reuters, fighters from the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) opposing the army could be seen inside a section of the army headquarters in Khartoum. The fighters did not appear to control the sprawling site, a Reuters reporter in the capital said.

Fighting appeared to tail off close to the deadline for the ceasefire, which coincided with the evening breaking of the daily fast during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

Blinken, speaking in Japan, said he had telephoned both army chief General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and paramilitary leader General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, known as Hemedti, of the RSF, appealing for the 24-hour ceasefire "to allow the Sudanese to be safely reunited with families" and to provide them with relief.

Burhan heads a ruling council installed after a 2021 military coup and the 2019 ouster of veteran autocratic president Omar Bashir during mass protests. Hemedti is Burhan's deputy on the ruling council.

Their power struggle has derailed an internationally-backed plan to shift to civilian democratic rule after decades of autocracy and military control in Sudan, which sits at a strategic crossroads between Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia and Africa's volatile Sahel region.

Unless controlled, the violence also risks drawing in actors from Sudan's neighbourhood who have backed different factions, and could play into competition for regional influence between Russia and the United States.

Blinken said the U.S. convoy was attacked despite its vehicles being marked with diplomatic license plates and bearing U.S. flags. Initial reports suggest the attack was undertaken by RSF-associated forces, he said, calling the action "reckless". Blinken said all U.S. personnel were safe after the incident.

After the call, Hemedti said the RSF approved the ceasefire to ensure the safe passage of civilians and the evacuation of the wounded.

In a post on Twitter, he said he and Blinken "discussed pressing issues" and more talks were planned. The RSF issued a statement saying it was waging a battle to restore "the rights of our people" in what it called a new revolution.

Hemedti's whereabouts have not been disclosed since fighting began.

A previous, shorter ceasefire agreed for Sunday was not fully observed. Artillery volleys, strikes by combat aircraft and street fighting have made it almost impossible to travel in Khartoum, trapping residents and foreigners in their homes.

The main international airport has been under attack, halting commercial flights.

Fighters have attacked aid workers, hospitals and diplomats, including a European Union ambassador assaulted in his home. Three workers for the World Food Programme were killed in the fighting on Saturday, and a U.N. plane was hit in crossfire at Khartoum's international airport.

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies said it was nearly impossible to provide humanitarian services around the capital. It warned that Sudan's health system was at risk of breakdown.

"I want to be very clear: All parties must ensure unrestricted and safe access to health facilities for those injured and everyone in need of medical care," World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a media briefing in Geneva.

The outbreak of fighting followed rising tensions over a plan for the RSF's integration into the regular military.

Discord over the timetable for that process delayed the signing of the framework deal to launch a civilian transition that was due to be signed earlier this month.

Underscoring the risk to regional stability, army general Kabbashi said two neighbouring countries were attempting to provide aid to the RSF. He did not identify the countries.

The fighting has affected several parts of the country since Saturday, including the western desert region of Darfur, which borders Chad and suffered warfare from 2003 that killed as many as 300,000 people and displaced 2.7 million.

The RSF emerged from the janjaweed militia that fought alongside Bashir's government forces in Darfur before the conflict ended with a 2020 peace agreement.

The United Nations reported that at least 65 people have been killed in Darfur since Saturday, including in clashes involving heavy artillery.

Eight people had been killed in Nyala, one of Sudan's largest cities, located in South Darfur, the U.N. said. The city also saw extensive looting of NGOs, businesses and hospitals, it said in a statement, adding that shooting was ongoing.

Reuters

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Since you are the External Affairs Minister <a href="https://twitter.com/DrSJaishankar?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@DrSJaishankar</a> I have appealed you for help. <br><br>If you are busy getting appalled please point us to the person who can help us bring our people back. <a href="https://t.co/B21Lndvxit">https://t.co/B21Lndvxit</a></p>— Siddaramaiah (@siddaramaiah) <a href="https://twitter.com/siddaramaiah/status/1648380411628732435?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 18, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fighting is continuing in areas of Sudan's capital, Khartoum, despite a ceasefire due to start at 18:00 local time (16:00 GMT).

In particular the battle has not stopped around the army headquarters by the airport in the city centre, which is surrounded by residential areas.

Two rival generals at the heart of the conflict had agreed to a 24-hour humanitarian pause to allow civilians to get medical help and supplies.

Residents are low on food and water.

BBC

Sudan’s RSF announces 72-hour ceasefire amid Khartoum fighting
World leaders have been calling on Sudan’s warring factions to observe a ceasefire for Eid al-Fitr which starts on Friday.

Sudan’s paramilitary group Rapid Support Forces (RSF) has announced it will shortly begin a ceasefire despite continued heavy fighting with the army in the capital Khartoum.

The RSF said in a statement it would observe a 72-hour ceasefire, which would come into effect at 6am (04:00 GMT) on Friday, which marks the beginning of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr.

“The armistice coincides with the blessed Eid al-Fitr, and to open humanitarian corridors to evacuate citizens and give them the opportunity to greet their families,” the statement said.

Khartoum was rocked by heavy shelling in the early hours of Friday, with the RSF accusing the army of staging a “sweeping attack” on the capital.

An Al Jazeera correspondent in the north of the city reported an exchange of fire between the RSF and the army a few minutes before the paramilitary’s truce was supposed to start.

There was no word from the army on whether it would observe a ceasefire.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023...nces-72-hour-ceasefire-amid-khartoum-fighting

As fighting between the Sudanese army and a paramilitary force rages on, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif said on Friday that the security and protection of Pakistani citizens in the chaos-stricken country was his government’s top priority.

“The government is closely watching the situation in Sudan and consistently monitoring the steps taken for the protection and security of Pakistani citizens,” he said in a statement, adding that the government was in touch with friendly countries and the United Nations for ensuring the security of Pakistanis and their early evacuation.

The premier’s statement comes against the backdrop of warring forces in Sudan remaining engaged in a battle — with heavy gunfire and explosions being reported in the capital Khartoum and elsewhere in the country — and ignoring appeals by world powers for an end-of-Ramazan ceasefire.

More than 300 people have been killed and thousands wounded since the fighting erupted Saturday between forces loyal to Sudan’s army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and his deputy, Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, the commander of the powerful paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) who is commonly known as Hemeti.

Diplomats and nationals from the UK, US, France and China are to be evacuated from Sudan by air as fighting there continues, a statement from the Sudanese army says.

Army chief Fattah al-Burhan agreed to facilitate and secure their evacuation "in the coming hours", it said.

He is locked in a bitter power struggle with the leader of a rival paramilitary faction, the Rapid Support Forces.

The UK government said it was preparing for "a number of contingencies".

Previous plans to evacuate foreign nationals have not been implemented because of safety fears.

A statement from the army said British, US, French and Chinese nationals and diplomats would be evacuated by air on board military transport planes from the capital, Khartoum.

The UK government said it was "doing everything possible to support British nationals and diplomatic staff in Khartoum".

It said its defence ministry was working with the foreign office to prepare for a number of provisions, without specifying whether immediate evacuations were among those plans.

The Prime Minister Rishi Sunak chaired a Cobra meeting - an emergency response committee - on Saturday morning about the situation in Sudan.

Saudi Arabia has also announced it is arranging the evacuation of its citizens and nationals of "brotherly" countries.

The Sudanese army said Saudi Arabia's diplomatic mission had already been evacuated by land to the coastal city of Port Sudan and from there by air to Saudi Arabia. Jordan's diplomatic mission will be next to be secured, it added.

BBC

Sudan fighting: Army says foreign nationals to be evacuated

Diplomats and nationals from the UK, US, France and China are to be evacuated from Sudan by air as fighting there continues, a statement from the Sudanese army says.

Army chief Fattah al-Burhan agreed to facilitate and secure their evacuation "in the coming hours", it said.

He is locked in a bitter power struggle with the leader of a rival paramilitary faction, the Rapid Support Forces.

The UK government said it was preparing for "a number of contingencies".

Previous plans to evacuate foreign nationals have not been implemented because of safety fears.

A statement from the army said British, US, French and Chinese nationals and diplomats would be evacuated by air on board military transport planes from the capital, Khartoum.

The UK government said it was "doing everything possible to support British nationals and diplomatic staff in Khartoum".

It said its defence ministry was working with the foreign office to prepare for a number of provisions, without specifying whether immediate evacuations were among those plans.

UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak chaired a Cobra meeting - an emergency response committee - on Saturday morning about the situation in Sudan.

A British citizen in Khartoum told the BBC she felt "completely abandoned" by the British government, adding that she had not been given "much information at all" about possible plans to be evacuated.

"It remains very depressing, worrying and confusing to be a Brit on the ground here," she said. "We're still very much in the dark".

"We don't have a plan, we don't even have a kind of plan for a plan. We understand that this is a fast-evolving situation but to be honest we've just in many senses been completely abandoned here."

Saudi Arabia also announced it was arranging the evacuation of its citizens and nationals of "brotherly" countries. State TV channel Al-Ekhbariyah reported that some Saudi citizens and other nationals had arrived in the port city of Jeddah on Saturday.

Spain's defence minister said six planes were being sent to Djibouti as part of the country's efforts to evacuate Spanish nationals and others.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65358069

The US military has evacuated American diplomats and their families from Khartoum, President Joe Biden has said.

"Today, on my orders, the United States military conducted an operation to extract US government personnel from Khartoum," he said in a statement.

A US official said fewer than 100 people were evacuated early on Sunday, when three Chinook helicopters landed near the US embassy to collect them.

Fierce violence erupted last week in Khartoum between two opposing armies.

The power struggle between Sudan's regular army and a paramilitary force called the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) has seen heavy bombardment in the capital city, with hundreds killed and thousands more injured.

In a call with reporters after the mission, Lt Gen Douglas Sims said more than 100 US troops from the Navy Seals and Army Special Forces flew from Djibouti to Ethiopia and then into Sudan, and were on the ground for less than an hour.

He described it was a "fast and clean" operation.

Mr Biden thanked Djibouti, Ethiopia and Saudi Arabia, saying they had been "critical to the success of our operation", and he warmly praised the US embassy staff and military.

The US embassy in Khartoum is now closed.

A tweet on its official feed says the US government cannot provide consular services for its citizens in Sudan, nor is it safe enough for the government to evacuate private US citizens.

It was the second evacuation of foreign citizens since violence erupted in Sudan's capital last week.

On Saturday, more than 150 citizens, diplomats and international officials were evacuated by sea to the Saudi Arabian port of Jeddah. They were mostly citizens of Gulf countries, as well as Egypt, Pakistan and Canada.

And on Sunday, the French ministry of foreign affairs announced it was beginning to evacuate its citizens and diplomatic staff from the country. The ministry said it had started a "rapid evacuation operation" and that European citizens and those from "allied partner countries" would also be assisted.

There is as yet no sign of a formal ceasefire.

But it does appear that the paramilitary group, the RSF, agreed not to shoot at the American helicopters during their mission.

BBC

British diplomats and their families have been evacuated from Sudan in a "complex and rapid" operation, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has confirmed.

Mr Sunak said work was continuing to ensure the safety of British nationals who remain in Sudan.

The evacuees were taken to an airfield outside of Khartoum overnight to fly out of the country, Defence Secretary Ben Wallace told the BBC.

Fierce violence erupted last week in Sudan between two opposing forces.

The power struggle between the country's regular army and a paramilitary force called the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) has seen deadly shooting and shelling in the capital city, Khartoum and in other parts of the country.

Foreign Secretary James Cleverly said there were "specific threats and violence directed towards diplomats" which led to the decision to evacuate staff.

He said that by relocating the embassy to a nearby country, diplomats could provide more assistance to those in Sudan.

But he said the government's ability to evacuate other British nationals was "severely limited" until fighting between warring parties stopped.

Some UK nationals in Khartoum have told the BBC they felt abandoned by the UK government, and one woman said she had not been given "much information at all" about possible evacuation plans.

The near-constant shooting and bombing in Khartoum and elsewhere has cut electricity and safe access to food and water for much of the population.

The western region of Darfur has also been badly affected by the fighting.

A number of ceasefires have been ignored, including a supposed three-day pause to mark the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr, which started on Friday.

A hotline has been set up for those who need urgent help, and UK citizens in Sudan are being urged to tell the Foreign Office where they are in case more help becomes available.

Britain's Sudanese community is demanding the government does more to help bring their relatives - including NHS doctors - back from Sudan.

Two planes were sent out from RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus to evacuate UK diplomats from Khartoum - but other British citizens have not yet received support to leave the country.

SKY

427 Pakistanis safely reach Port Sudan for repatriation: FO
FM Bilawal expresses gratitude for KSA's assistance in evacuating Pakistani nationals

Around 427 Pakistanis safely reached Port Sudan and are being lodged before arrangements for their onward journey are coordinated, the Foreign Office (FO) said on Monday.

The spokesperson, in a statement, said that the FO continued to follow the developments in Sudan and was working with Pakistan’s Missions in the region to provide relief to Pakistanis there.

The sudden eruption of violence between the military and the well-armed Rapid Support Forces (RSF) paramilitary group on April 15 has triggered a humanitarian crisis and killed 420 people in Sudan.

Along with millions of Sudanese without access to basic services and trapped in their homes, thousands of foreign diplomats, aid workers, students and their families found themselves stuck in a war zone last week.

A few days ago, Foreign Secretary Asad Majeed Khan had held a follow-up virtual meeting with Pakistan’s Missions in Sudan and neighbouring countries to discuss modalities for the safe evacuation of Pakistanis from the war-torn country.

Representatives from the Pakistan International Airline (PIA) and Ministry of Overseas Pakistanis and other relevant agencies had also joined the meeting.

Earlier, Saudi Arabia’s Embassy in Pakistan announced the evacuation of 91 people, including Pakistanis, from Sudan on Sunday.

According to a statement from the embassy, the operation was carried out by the Royal Saudi Naval Forces with the support of various branches of the armed forces on the directives of the Kingdom’s leadership.

“We are pleased to announce the safe arrival of the citizens of the Kingdom who were evacuated from the Republic of Sudan as well as several nationals of brotherly and friendly countries, including diplomats and international officials,” it said.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2413339/427-pakistanis-safely-reach-port-sudan-for-repatriation-fo

Fears grow for 3,000 Indian citizens trapped in Sudan: ‘I just want my wife and children rescued. Please help’

Indian citizens stranded in conflict-ridden Sudan have desperately appealed for help and expressed their exasperation at the situation on the ground, with evacuations still yet to begin despite their home country dispatching a warship and two airforce planes to the region.

ndia has one of the largest contingents of foreign nationals still inside Sudan, with about 3,000 of its citizens believed to be stranded in the country that was last week thrust into civil conflict.

The families of these Indian nationals have appealed to the Narendra Modi administration on social media for their safe return. Speaking to The Independent, relatives back home expressed their anguish and worries over the wellbeing of their loved ones, and pleaded with the government for their swift and safe return.

Fighting began in Sudan on 15 April when army units loyal to General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, head of Sudan’s transitional governing Sovereign Council, clashed with the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) led by General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, known as Hemedti, the deputy head of the council.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...tp&cvid=440daca5ae38444fb04e597b11927926&ei=6

Sudan is waking up to a 72-hour ceasefire, which took effect at midnight (22:00 GMT) on Monday.

It is at least the third suspension of fighting since violence erupted this month, but the others did not hold.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said an agreement had been reached between the army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) after 48 hours of negotiations.

At least 400 people have been killed since fighting erupted on 15 April.

Both sides in the conflict independently announced their involvement in the ceasefire.

UN Secretary General António Guterres has warned the violence in Sudan risks causing a "catastrophic conflagration" that could engulf the whole region and beyond.

Since the violence began, residents of the battle-scarred capital Khartoum have been told to stay inside, and food and water supplies have been running low.

The bombing has hit key infrastructure, like water pipes, meaning that some people have been forced to drink from the River Nile.

There will be hopes the ceasefire will allow civilians to leave the city. Foreign governments will also hope it will allow for continued evacuations out of the country.

Countries have scrambled to evacuate their diplomats and civilians as fighting raged in central, densely populated parts of the capital.

Earlier on Monday, Mr Blinken said that some convoys trying to move people out had encountered "robbery and looting".

The US, he added, was looking at potentially resuming its diplomatic presence in Sudan but he described the conditions there as "very challenging".

Sudan is suffering an "internet blackout" with connectivity at 2% of ordinary levels, monitoring group NetBlocks said on Monday. In Khartoum, the internet has been down since Sunday night.

It is estimated that tens of thousands of people, including Sudanese citizens and those from neighbouring countries, have fled because of the unrest.

Hassan Ibrahim, 91, was among them. The retired physician lives near the main airport in Khartoum, where some of the worst fighting has taken place, but has since made the perilous journey into neighbouring Egypt with his family.

He told the BBC World Service's Newshour programme they had escaped being caught up in a firefight between RSF fighters and the army but that a van travelling behind them had got hit. The family then boarded a bus to the border, which took 12 hours, only for them to be met by "crowded and chaotic" scenes as people waited to be given entry.

"There were so many families with elderly passengers, children and babies," said Mr Ibrahim. "The Sudanese are fleeing the country - it is a sad reality."

Eiman ab Garga, a British-Sudanese gynaecologist who works in the UK, was visiting the capital with her children when the fighting began and has just been evacuated to Djibouti on a flight organised by France. Her hurried departure meant that she was not able to say goodbye to her ailing father, nor her mother and sister.

"The country is dirty, there's rubbish all over it," she told BBC Radio 4's World Tonight programme. "There's sewage overflowing it smells so now we're next going to have an outbreak of illness and disease and there won't be a hospital to go to there."

"We're just looking at death and destruction and destitution."

Violence broke out primarily in Khartoum, between rival military factions battling for control of Africa's third largest country.

This came after days of tension as members of the RSF were redeployed around the country in a move that the army saw as a threat.

Why has fighting broken out in Sudan?

Since a 2021 coup, Sudan has been run by a council of generals, led by the two military men at the centre of this dispute - Gen Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, the head of the armed forces and in effect the country's president, and his deputy and leader of the RSF, Gen Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, better known as Hemedti.

They have disagreed on the direction the country is going in and the proposed move towards civilian rule.

The main sticking points are plans to include the 100,000-strong RSF into the army, and who would then lead the new force.

Gen Dagalo has accused Gen Burhan's government of being "radical Islamists" and that he and the RSF were "fighting for the people of Sudan to ensure the democratic progress for which they have so long yearned".

Many find this message hard to believe, given the brutal track record of the RSF.

Gen Burhan has said he supports the idea of returning to civilian rule, but that he will only hand over power to an elected government.

BBC

Around 427 Pakistanis safely reached Port Sudan and are being lodged before arrangements for their onward journey are coordinated, the Foreign Office (FO) said on Monday.

The spokesperson, in a statement, said that the FO continued to follow the developments in Sudan and was working with Pakistan’s Missions in the region to provide relief to Pakistanis there.

The sudden eruption of violence between the military and the well-armed Rapid Support Forces (RSF) paramilitary group on April 15 has triggered a humanitarian crisis and killed 420 people in Sudan.

Along with millions of Sudanese without access to basic services and trapped in their homes, thousands of foreign diplomats, aid workers, students and their families found themselves stuck in a war zone last week.

A few days ago, Foreign Secretary Asad Majeed Khan had held a follow-up virtual meeting with Pakistan’s Missions in Sudan and neighbouring countries to discuss modalities for the safe evacuation of Pakistanis from the war-torn country.

Representatives from the Pakistan International Airline (PIA) and Ministry of Overseas Pakistanis and other relevant agencies had also joined the meeting.

Read Saudi FM meets Syria's Assad on first Damascus trip since war

Earlier, Saudi Arabia’s Embassy in Pakistan announced the evacuation of 91 people, including Pakistanis, from Sudan on Sunday.

According to a statement from the embassy, the operation was carried out by the Royal Saudi Naval Forces with the support of various branches of the armed forces on the directives of the Kingdom’s leadership.

“We are pleased to announce the safe arrival of the citizens of the Kingdom who were evacuated from the Republic of Sudan as well as several nationals of brotherly and friendly countries, including diplomats and international officials,” it said.

Sixty-six people from brotherly and friendly countries including Kuwait, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Tunisia, Pakistan, India, Bulgaria, Bangladesh, the Philippines, Canada, and Burkina Faso have been evacuated.

Read All US embassy staff evacuated from war-torn Sudan: White House

It added that the Kingdom worked to provide all the necessary needs of foreign nationals in preparation for their departure to their respective countries

Bilawal thanks KSA

Foreign Minister Bilawal Bhutto Zardari expressed profound gratitude for Saudi Arabia's assistance in evacuating Pakistani nationals from Sudan in a telephonic conversation with his Saudi counterpart Faisal bin Farhan.

Both ministers agreed that the two countries will closely coordinate to further facilitate evacuations from Sudan.

FM Bilawal also conveyed Eid greetings to Prince Faisal bin Farhan and wished him good health and happiness as well progress and prosperity to the brotherly people of Saudi Arabia.

The two sides also exchanged views on regional and global issues of mutual interest.

Bilawal expressed confidence that the resumption of the Kingdom’s diplomatic relations with Iran will lead to regional peace and prosperity.

Ship carrying 37 Pakistanis from Sudan port reaches Jeddah: FO

A ship carrying 37 Pakistani nationals from Sudan — where fighting between the army and paramilitaries has killed and wounded hundreds — arrived in Saudi Arabia’s Jeddah on Wednesday, the Foreign Office (FO) said.

“Evacuation plan for Pakistani nationals in Sudan continues. The ship carrying 37 Pakistani nationals from Port Sudan arrives in Jeddah,” it said in a tweet.

“They were received by CG in Jeddah, Khalid Majid on arrival at Jeddah Port. We are grateful to the Government of KSA for its support & hospitality,” the FO added.

According to the Saudi Arabia Foreign Ministry, the boat with 1,687 civilians from more than 50 countries arrived in the kingdom today, which is the largest rescue effort by the Gulf state to date.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1749393/ship-carrying-37-pakistanis-from-sudan-port-reaches-jeddah-fo

British nationals in Sudan have 24 hours to catch a flight before they are stopped, the deputy prime minister has said.

The flights will end at 6pm UK time on Saturday, Oliver Dowden confirmed.

Speaking to reporters on Friday afternoon, he said more than 1,500 people had now been flown out of the country.

But he said there had been a "significant decline in British nationals coming forward", so the government would cease the flights.

Countries are in a race against the clock to evacuate their citizens from Sudan after the two warring factions extended a ceasefire by 72 hours yesterday.

The initial three day ceasefire was due to expire at 11pm UK time on Thursday. Despite this agreement, there are continued reports of heavy fighting in the capital Khartoum and the western region of Darfur.

Thousands have fled the country in recent days with food becoming scarce, electricity cut off across much of the capital and other cities, and many hospitals shut down.

Sudan rivals trade blame as fighting continues despite ceasefire extension
New UN envoy to the region warns that humanitarian situation is ‘reaching breaking point’

Sudan’s rival military forces have accused each other of violating a fresh ceasefire as the deadly conflict rumbles on for a third week despite warnings of a slide towards civil war.

Both sides said a formal ceasefire agreement that was due to expire at midnight would be extended for a further 72 hours. The army said it hoped what it called the “rebels” would abide by the deal but it believed they had intended to keep up attacks. The parties have kept fighting through a series of ceasefires over the past week.

At least 528 people have been killed and 4,599 wounded since a long-simmering power struggle between the Sudanese army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) erupted into conflict on 15 April. The UN believes the actual number of casualties to be far higher.

The fighting in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, has so far seen RSF forces fan out across the city as the army tries to target them largely by using airstrikes from drones and fighter jets.

The conflict has sent tens of thousands of people fleeing across Sudan’s borders and prompted warnings the country could disintegrate, destabilising a volatile region and prompting foreign governments to scramble to evacuate their nationals.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ighting-continues-despite-ceasefire-extension

Both sides accusing each other of breaking the ceasefire.

What a mess this is.

Why aren't the likes of Saudi Arabia getting involved and trying to resolve the issue.

Another lot of cretins causing havoc in a poor Muslim country for looting purposes. Meanwhile millions of poor get poor while these guys fight. Rot in hell both Parties.

Warring sides set for Saudi Arabia talks

Saudi Arabia is to host the first face-to-face talks on Saturday between the warring armies in Sudan, after several ceasefires broke down.

A joint US-Saudi statement welcomed the start of "pre-negotiation talks" in Jeddah between the Sudanese army and paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF). On Friday reports spoke of continuing clashes in Khartoum.

The Sudanese army says the talks aim to address humanitarian issues.

There has been no official RSF comment.

The army confirmed it had sent envoys to Jeddah to engage in the talks, which the UN and aid agencies have been pressing for, faced with a dire humanitarian crisis in Sudan.

Nearly three weeks of heavy fighting have killed hundreds of people and displaced nearly 450,000 civilians. Of that total, the International Organization for Migration says, more than 115,000 have sought refuge in neighbouring countries.

Sudan's army commander Gen Abdel Fattah al-Burhan - the de facto Sudanese president - is engaged in a bitter power struggle with RSF leader Gen Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, better known as Hemedti.

The statement from the US and Saudi governments said they "urge both parties to take in consideration the interests of the Sudanese nation and its people and actively engage in the talks towards a ceasefire and end to the conflict, which will spare the Sudanese people's suffering and ensure the availability of humanitarian aid to affected areas".

The joint statement also expressed hope for "an expanded negotiation process that should include engagement with all Sudanese parties".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-65506091

Sudan’s army, Rapid Support Forces sign 7-day ceasefire
Truce will come into effect 48 hours after signing of agreement and will be enforced by the US and Saudi Arabia, sponsors of talks say.

Warring factions in Sudan have agreed to a seven-day ceasefire following talks in the Saudi Arabian city of Jeddah, according to a statement from Washington and Riyadh, as fighting that has killed hundreds and displaced more than a million entered its sixth week.

The ceasefire agreement was signed late on Saturday.

It will take effect 48 hours after, at 9:45pm local time (19:45 GMT) on Monday, the sponsors of the talks, the United States and Saudi Arabia, said in their joint statement.

Numerous previous ceasefire agreements were violated. However, this agreement will be enforced by a US-Saudi and international-supported monitoring mechanism, the statement said without providing details.

The agreement also calls for distributing humanitarian assistance, restoring essential services and withdrawing forces from hospitals and essential public facilities.

“It is past time to silence the guns and allow unhindered humanitarian access. I implore both sides to uphold this agreement — the eyes of the world are watching,” US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said.

The fighting between Sudan’s army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) has plunged the country into chaos. Stocks of food, cash and essentials are rapidly dwindling, and mass looting has hit banks, embassies, aid warehouses and even churches.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/5/21/sudans-army-rapid-support-forces-sign-7-day-ceasefire

Back