Super 8 schedule based upon tournament pre-seeding? Is ICC doing the right thing?

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
This just doesn't seem right but seems financial considerations are more important.

==

The T20 World Cup 2024 is headed towards its knockout stage and all eight teams have been confirmed for the Super 8 stage. Australia topped Group B with four wins out of four matches but they were still seeded 'B2" when it comes to the Super 8 due to the tournament's pre-seeding.

The Super 8 opponents are somewhat pre-decided in the T20 World Cup 2024 due to the seedings and as a result, the standings after the league stage has no bearing on the fixtures.

That is why Australia were 'B2' despite finishing top in their group. Australia fast bowler Mitchell Starc was not pleased with the pre-seeding in the competition and he expressed his frustration at the structure while saying that he is "not a fan".

“I think there's a question to be asked about pre-seeding. I'm not sure I'm a fan of that,” Starc said in a press conference following Australia's win against Scotland in their final group match.

Due to the fact that the seeding system will determine Super 8 fixtures, it is possible that as many as three group winners can end up in the same Super 8 pool.

Similar questions were asked when India were seeded 'A1' irrespective of how they performed and the way that could have qualified.

NDTV

It's wrong. It makes the group stage meaningless. Group toppers should carry over 2 points and the groups should be

Group 1

India(+2)
England
West Indies(+2)
Bangladesh

Group 2

USA
Australia(+2)
Afghanistan
South Africa(+2)

What an idiocracy and hypocrisy, what's the point of topping the group if you still are predetermined to land in a particular group. The ICC and it's revenue appetite is ruining the cricket.

Even before the last night encounter between WI and Afghanistan. Both were already seeded in their pre determined group. This thing is anti competition and would always result in less intensity encounters due to mismatches.

This just doesn't seem right but seems financial considerations are more important.

==

The T20 World Cup 2024 is headed towards its knockout stage and all eight teams have been confirmed for the Super 8 stage. Australia topped Group B with four wins out of four matches but they were still seeded 'B2" when it comes to the Super 8 due to the tournament's pre-seeding.

The Super 8 opponents are somewhat pre-decided in the T20 World Cup 2024 due to the seedings and as a result, the standings after the league stage has no bearing on the fixtures.

That is why Australia were 'B2' despite finishing top in their group. Australia fast bowler Mitchell Starc was not pleased with the pre-seeding in the competition and he expressed his frustration at the structure while saying that he is "not a fan".

“I think there's a question to be asked about pre-seeding. I'm not sure I'm a fan of that,” Starc said in a press conference following Australia's win against Scotland in their final group match.

Due to the fact that the seeding system will determine Super 8 fixtures, it is possible that as many as three group winners can end up in the same Super 8 pool.

Similar questions were asked when India were seeded 'A1' irrespective of how they performed and the way that could have qualified.

NDTV
The problem is holding the tournament in WI and America, India Pakistan matches had to scheduled as day games so maximum Indian audience can view at prime time. Hence, the seeding system.
We dont see this crappy seeding system anywhere else when the tournaments are held.

Yes its wrong,when i read first time I was really shocked. I mean pre sedding for group stages then i can understand but for Super 8 ,No way .

I think, it’s entirely a financial & logistical call - IICRC, first time used in 2007 WC (SAF). The idea behind that was to fix venues (and time slot) for second round to maximise the prime viewerships and also ticket sale (& on-field advertising revenue).

Right/wrong won’t judge but I understand the logic, no complaints either. T20 WC is a compact, tight scheduled tournament - this is actually helping the organisers & teams as well, reducing cost also. Now, teams have enough time to complete their hotel bookings, check practice facilities & good for their travelling fans as well.

Not to this extent, but even in club soccer, from QF onwards, UEFA champions league route to final is fixed, to facilitate travelling fans & broadcasters. In future, I believe WC/Euro soccer will also adopt this - imagine this Euro - depending on which spot England, France or Italy finishing in respective group, 30-40K travelling fans will get 2-3 day’s maximum to book hotels & but/exchange tickets within venues at Berlin, Munich, Hannover Dortmund, Düsseldorf or Frankfurt.

In 2026 …. The range can be from Vancouver to Miami or Montreal to Mexico City.

I will support this system. In last t20 wc in Australia, there was a stupid rule.if aus qualifies for the semis,they will play in Sydney and other team will play in Adelaide.so all ind,pak fans were waiting till the end and black market have completely cashed that .In this way i can be sure where to go and whether I can take risk upfront.

These things can’t be random. Need a proper method to the madness. Ridiculous that India and Aus are in the same group just because Ind-Aus match will draw a lot of ratings. Even more ridiculous than Ind-Pak in the same group every time.

Yea it makes no sense. But i see what they are doing. This is very much like 2022 where they had a qualifier round before the main round of super 12. In the qualifier they had Ireland, Netherlands, Srilanka, West Indies, zimbabwe, UAE, Namebia, sotland. Group A 4 teams. Group B 4 teams. Top 2 of each group would move to super 12. All the other seeded teams already were par tof the schedule waiting for these 4 teams. This time they have included all the teams in the first round in order to promote cricket in USA given that big names are needed to do. But downside of this is you do not know which team will play where in the actual main round. So they needed a plan where all top teams should take part in first round and also they need a predictable schedule in the 2nd round for commercial reasons. This is what they have come up with. It makes the first round immaterial as long as you are in top 2.

Yea it makes no sense. But i see what they are doing. This is very much like 2022 where they had a qualifier round before the main round of super 12. In the qualifier they had Ireland, Netherlands, Srilanka, West Indies, zimbabwe, UAE, Namebia, sotland. Group A 4 teams. Group B 4 teams. Top 2 of each group would move to super 12. All the other seeded teams already were par tof the schedule waiting for these 4 teams. This time they have included all the teams in the first round in order to promote cricket in USA given that big names are needed to do. But downside of this is you do not know which team will play where in the actual main round. So they needed a plan where all top teams should take part in first round and also they need a predictable schedule in the 2nd round for commercial reasons. This is what they have come up with. It makes the first round immaterial as long as you are in top 2.
Chup chaap quarterfinal Semifinal Final karwaa dete. Aiven hi lambi tournament banaa di!

It is maybe the one thing that the ICC is doing to help visiting fans.

It's not ideal but it helps people plan trips, helps broadcasters and sponsors.

A poll would be nice! @MenInG

The ICC’s decision to base the Super 8 schedule on tournament pre-seeding is problematic and unfair. This approach undermines the spirit of competition by not fully rewarding teams for their performance in the group stages. Instead of a merit-based progression, it locks teams into pre-determined paths, potentially disadvantaging those who perform well but find themselves in tougher groups. The essence of a tournament should be about rewarding current form and performance, not relying on pre-tournament rankings. This method diminishes the excitement and unpredictability that make the World Cup special, ultimately impacting the integrity of the competition.

It is maybe the one thing that the ICC is doing to help visiting fans.

It's not ideal but it helps people plan trips, helps broadcasters and sponsors.
and they do this only in West Indies and USA.
Seeding was done in 2007 World Cup then 2010 and now 2024 T20 World Cup only.
Its only for the sub continent viewership nothing else. (95% of cricket viewership comes from subcontinent only )

A poll would be nice! @MenInG

The ICC’s decision to base the Super 8 schedule on tournament pre-seeding is problematic and unfair. This approach undermines the spirit of competition by not fully rewarding teams for their performance in the group stages. Instead of a merit-based progression, it locks teams into pre-determined paths, potentially disadvantaging those who perform well but find themselves in tougher groups. The essence of a tournament should be about rewarding current form and performance, not relying on pre-tournament rankings. This method diminishes the excitement and unpredictability that make the World Cup special, ultimately impacting the integrity of the competition.
Expectations are less in the first round. Just be in the top 2 spot. Plan went accordingly for ICC except Pakistan's exit. Now both groups have two table toppers two second place finishers.

If it were no preseeded group would have looked like this

Group A

India
England
West Indies
Bangladesh

Group B

South Africa
Australia
Afghanistan
USA

I am sure India will somehow find a way to avoid facing Australia in mega events.

Paisa phenk tamasha dekh!

I am sure India will somehow find a way to avoid facing Australia in mega events.

Paisa phenk tamasha dekh!
They are facing Aussies. If INdia gets upset by BD or Afghanistan they will not even reach semi finals which i am prepared for. India is perfectly capable of bottling it. Main guys who choked are still with the team. Only KL Rahul has left.

It's wrong. It makes the group stage meaningless. Group toppers should carry over 2 points and the groups should be

Group 1

India(+2)
England
West Indies(+2)
Bangladesh

Group 2

USA
Australia(+2)
Afghanistan
South Africa(+2)
Super six always made more sense than super 8.

We have never done well in tournaments in caribbean

It would be better if they make groups on the performance in this World Cup. There should be two first placed and two second placed teams in each Super 8 group.

Back