Tasmania v Pakistan | Tour Match | Hobart | 19-21 Dec 09

shane said:
I would add to this that the reason for this rule of thumb is because, when the ball goes in front of square then the striker has a clear view of ti and is able to make a proper call. When it goes behind square then the striker will normally need to look around, or behind, in order to see where it went and this may eat up a precious second or two.
that's a good point.

^^ yeah but he has 6 threes. also at least he stayed out there and got some batting practice.

Alam did not help himself here. Only good thing is Misbah has done poor too.
Iqbal seems to have cemented his place.
So it will be a toss up between Misbah and Alam and I think Moyo will take experience.

I am impressed with Kami's Captaincy. He played the right people in the 2nd innings with good order plus he asked people to retire once they made 50.
I am getting used to the idea of Kami for Captain, although I think it is premature maybe after 2011 WC.

iafzal said:
So it will be a toss up between Misbah and Alam and I think Moyo will take experience.

I am impressed with Kami's Captaincy. He played the right people in the 2nd innings with good order plus he asked people to retire once they made 50.
I am getting used to the idea of Kami for Captain, although I think it is premature maybe after 2011 WC.

dont forget theirs malik too........and if their not going to select alam, id rather take malik over misbah.....and as far as captaincy is concerned, i think other than on filed stuff (bowling, fielding changes) yousuf and inti were probably controlling who stays and who retires, batting order

iafzal said:

Do you know what's not smart captaincy? Agreeing to call the game off a session short of the third day, when Pakistan could really have used the extra practice!

shane said:
Do you know what's not smart captaincy? Agreeing to call the game off a session short of the third day, when Pakistan could really have used the extra practice!

There's common decency though. These are robots playing out there. They all knew that they could use the extra practice but that doesn't mean they make Tasmanian's bowlers toil out there for no reason when they've asked you to call off the game.

coy0607 said:
dont forget theirs malik too........and if their not going to select alam, id rather take malik over misbah.....and as far as captaincy is concerned, i think other than on filed stuff (bowling, fielding changes) yousuf and inti were probably controlling who stays and who retires, batting order
I cannot predict who controlled what, I am just saying what I saw I liked.
For now I will give credit to Kami, when Moyo shows he can do these kind of changes on the fly I will give him credit. He or Inti did not show any indication on the NZ tour. Bowling only 4 bowlers pretty much in all 3 tests is height of it.

kingusama92 said:
There's common decency though. These are robots playing out there. They all knew that they could use the extra practice but that doesn't mean they make Tasmanian's bowlers toil out there for no reason when they've asked you to call off the game.

It's a practice match, and it's short enough as it is. I somehow doubt Australia would have done the same thing.

shane said:
They got all their batsman 2 innings in. They did not play Kami and Butt as they got enough in the first innings. If Fawad and Misbah were still batting and he has stopped I would blame. What is the use to have Gul, Aamer bat. For al they get injured hit by a ball.

iafzal said:
They got all their batsman 2 innings in. They did not play Kami and Butt as they got enough in the first innings. If Fawad and Misbah were still batting and he has stopped I would blame. What is the use to have Gul, Aamer bat. For al they get injured hit by a ball.

How about a bowl? Some slip catching perhaps? Maybe Imran Farhat might get a few wickets? Ajmal some additional confidence and a chance to challenge Kaneria for a test spot? Maybe Pakistan could have won the match in the final session!

shane said:

Common in practice matches. What do you think Pakistan are going to insist on playing on? Tasmania would just bowl the wicket keeper or something equally ridiculous. Convention is if game is going to be a draw you call it off early.

Random Aussie said:
Common in practice matches. What do you think Pakistan are going to insist on playing on? Tasmania would just bowl the wicket keeper or something equally ridiculous. Convention is if game is going to be a draw you call it off early.

Convention is not necessarily to be followed. If Tazmania did bowl a wicket keeper then that is up to them but it is at least worth waiting around to see if that happens. Also, I can understand calling a game off 40 mins early but this was an entire session wasted. Players and commentators always harp on about how time in the middle is essential and Pakistan have just wasted an opportunity for some precious time in the middle.

And this game was going to be a draw since this morning. Why then bother with playing any cricket at all today?

Im liking the captaincy of Kami here. doin great mashallah even though its a domestic side they are playing. i hope we try to win this which will be hard as its the final day today. it should have been 4 day game. 3 is too short.

Ryankhan bhai the match is over. both teams called it off at tea.

I've just logged on and to my shock and horror, I've just read on here that Pak ended match early. Are they nuts????? Over confidence on the grandest scale!! What you think you're good enough that you don't even need practise? This is EXACTLY the type of pindo unprofessionalism that we've come to expect of Pakistan! If you want to be the best you practise, and you practise hard. So Butt made a century so that makes him Bradman does it? Of course it doesn't - but who cares, we're happy with mediocracy so we practise mediocracy. If this was the Aussies, they would have batted Tasmania into the ground or, more probably would have made Tasmania follow on and won by an innings. Either way, they would have sent a message to the opposition that they should be verh worried.

We in Pak don't have that mentality. As I said, we're happy in mediocracy and its no coincidence that our test rankings reflect this.

After praising you some much, I am very, very dissapointed in you Kamran Akmal.

shane said:
Convention is not necessarily to be followed. If Tazmania did bowl a wicket keeper then that is up to them but it is at least worth waiting around to see if that happens. Also, I can understand calling a game off 40 mins early but this was an entire session wasted. Players and commentators always harp on about how time in the middle is essential and Pakistan have just wasted an opportunity for some precious time in the middle.

And this game was going to be a draw since this morning. Why then bother with playing any cricket at all today?

Shane, I'm with you bro! You're the only one talking sense here and the rest are just talking plain rubbish. After tonight, my confidence in Kami as a future captain is completley gone.

If Umar akmal or fawad alam were not out at tea ,they would surly have bated on,but they got out.Butt and akmal had enough practice in first innings.

When the match is dead anyway,then practice just for sack of practice is not neccessaly a great thing.Because that intensity is not there anymore.Might even give false sense of complacency.

Anyways Technic developed from all their previous years on home tracks would not go away In just few extra overs of batting really.

I remember in 70s and 80s they used to play Plenty of practice matches before test series while touring Australia ,But still got pummeled when the actual series started.

shane said:
How about a bowl? Some slip catching perhaps? Maybe Imran Farhat might get a few wickets? Ajmal some additional confidence and a chance to challenge Kaneria for a test spot? Maybe Pakistan could have won the match in the final session!
I am impressed that you think so highly of Pak bowling attack that the can knock an Aus first class team in one session.

Can anyone tell me what kamran akmal did???? why all of you bashing over him. so match is draw huh well but we played nice.

is saeed ajmal a definite for the boxing day test match??
we need him ahead of kaneria!!

Who was out in Tour Match's 2nd inning: Faisal or Fawad?

The scorecard is saying that Fawad was out.

Faisal Iqbal, not out, 32 runs, 86 balls
Fawad Alam, b: Krejza, 2 runs, 5 balls

But the commentry suggest Faisal was out.

Over 30.6: Drew to Rauf Khan, no run
Over 30.5: Drew to Rauf Khan, no run
Over 30.4: Drew to Alam, one run, punches into the covers, takes off for a single, Cowan swoops on the ball and fires at the bowlers end, ball bouncing over the top with the batsman well short of his ground
Over 30.3: Drew to Alam, no run
Over 30.2: Drew to Alam, no run, bunts into the off side
Over 30.1: Drew to Alam, no run

Over 29.5: Krejza to Iqbal, no run, OUT, attempts to cut, misses, straight into the off stump
Over 29.4: Krejza to Alam, one run, sways back and cuts backward of point
Over 29.3: Krejza to Alam, no run
Over 29.2: Krejza to Iqbal, one run, pushes forward, quick single taken
Over 29.1: Krejza to Iqbal, no run

Over 28.6: Drew to Alam, no run, played back down the wicket, Drew gathers in his follow through and fires back at the stumps striking the batsman in the back, he is quick to apologise
Over 28.5: Drew to Iqbal, no run, OUT, glides straight to gully, inexplicably the batsmen take off for a single, Krejza throws down the stumps with Umar well short of his ground
Over 28.4: Drew to Iqbal, no run
Over 28.3: Drew to Akmal, three runs, full, angles the bat and runs it to deep third man
Over 28.2: Drew to Akmal, wide, bouncer, very short and very high
Over 28.2: Drew to Akmal, two runs, pulls hard, runs quickly along the ground to deep backward square
Over 28.1: Drew to Akmal, no run

Also it make sense with commentary. After Umar Akmal was OUT, Alam came and faced the last ball of the over and did not score.
So for the next over (30th over), Faisal Iqbal faced Ball 1 and Ball 2. He scored 1 run on Ball 2. Then Fawad Alam faced Ball 3 and Ball 4. He scored 1 run on Ball 4. Then Faisal Iqbal faced Ball 5 and he got OUT on that ball.

Also if we believe that the score card is correct then it says that Fawad Alam scored 2 runs. But according to commentary he scored only 1 run. So where this 2nd run come from?

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Its not a little thing yaar. Most likely the score card is correct which means the commentary is all screwed up. And this commentary was from Cricket Australia. :O They should be better than this.

Random Aussie said:
Where did that convention come from?

Convention is that you play a 5 day test match, as this is a 3 day test match it was clearly for practice. You don't play practice matches for result otherwise Pakistan would have played their final XI.

How long would Tasmania have been able to bowl their wicket keeper?

srh said:
The scorecard is saying that Fawad was out.

But the commentry suggest Faisal was out.

Also it make sense with commentary. After Umar Akmal was OUT, Alam came and faced the last ball of the over and did not score.
So for the next over (30th over), Faisal Iqbal faced Ball 1 and Ball 2. He scored 1 run on Ball 2. Then Fawad Alam faced Ball 3 and Ball 4. He scored 1 run on Ball 4. Then Faisal Iqbal faced Ball 5 and he got OUT on that ball.

Also if we believe that the score card is correct then it says that Fawad Alam scored 2 runs. But according to commentary he scored only 1 run. So where this 2nd run come from?

What do you guys think?
i think the commentary team messed up in the 30th over. notice how they only show 5 balls.

cricinfo also shows Faisal and Rauf not out at the end. although even they don't show the over info for when Fawad was out in the fall of wickets.
http://www.cricinfo.com/ausvpak09/engine/match/417774.html

d0gers said:
i think the commentary team messed up in the 30th over. notice how they only show 5 balls.

cricinfo also shows Faisal and Rauf not out at the end. although even they don't show the over info for when Fawad was out in the fall of wickets.
http://www.cricinfo.com/ausvpak09/engine/match/417774.html
Most likely the commentary team messed up. The scorecard showed Fawad Alam faced 5 balls and scored 2 runs. But according to commentary he faced 4 balls and scored 1 runs. And they showed only 5 balls in 30th over.

So this my educated guess of what happened for 30th over:
Ball 1: Faisal Iqbal faced it; scored 0 runs.
Ball 2: Faisal Iqbal faced it; scored 1 run.
Ball 3: Fawad Alam faced it; scored 0 runs.
Ball 4: Fawad Alam faced it; scored 2 runs.
Ball 5: Fawad Alam faced it; scored 0 runs.
Ball 6: Fawad Alam faced it; got OUT.

If we assume this way then Fawad Alam faced 5 balls in total (1 Ball of 29th over and 4 Balls of 30th over) and scored 2 runs which complies with the scorecard.

Shame on Cricket Australia for messing up the commentary. :pissed:

Shehryar said:
If Umar akmal or fawad alam were not out at tea ,they would surly have bated on,but they got out.Butt and akmal had enough practice in first innings.

When the match is dead anyway,then practice just for sack of practice is not neccessaly a great thing.Because that intensity is not there anymore.Might even give false sense of complacency.

Anyways Technic developed from all their previous years on home tracks would not go away In just few extra overs of batting really.

I remember in 70s and 80s they used to play Plenty of practice matches before test series while touring Australia ,But still got pummeled when the actual series started.
Back in the 70s and 80s, there weren't many quality practice matches. No official records were kept either.

I think who really needed batting practice yesterday was our bowlers. Sure, our batting has collapsed at least once per match in the tests, but the tail has been mopped up even faster.

I know it ain't the tail's job, but the difference with the Australian tail (in batting) is just too noticeable.

srh said:
Most likely the commentary team messed up. The scorecard showed Fawad Alam faced 5 balls and scored 2 runs. But according to commentary he faced 4 balls and scored 1 runs. And they showed only 5 balls in 30th over.

So this my educated guess of what happened for 30th over:
Ball 1: Faisal Iqbal faced it; scored 0 runs.
Ball 2: Faisal Iqbal faced it; scored 1 run.
Ball 3: Fawad Alam faced it; scored 0 runs.
Ball 4: Fawad Alam faced it; scored 2 runs.
Ball 5: Fawad Alam faced it; scored 0 runs.
Ball 6: Fawad Alam faced it; got OUT.

If we assume this way then Fawad Alam faced 5 balls in total (1 Ball of 29th over and 4 Balls of 30th over) and scored 2 runs which complies with the scorecard.

Shame on Cricket Australia for messing up the commentary. :pissed:
that makes sense, except if you look at the scoring chart (go here http://livescores.cricket.com.au/scoreboard_2462_1.html and click on Fawad Alam's wagon wheel) it says he scored 2 singles. how he did that i have no idea.

Back