The All Time Test XI Thread

What would be your all time test Cricket XI?

My Pick:

Barry Richards
Gavaskar
Bradman (c)
Sachin
Viv Richards
Sobers
Gilly (wk)
Warne
Marshall
Steyn
Mcgrath

I will go with this list except Hobbs for Barry Richards.. Barry played just 5 international tests and although I haven't watched both of them I will go with the one with a bigger contribution or achievement towards his team.

Hanif Mohammad
Saeed Anwar
Zaheer Abbas
Javed Miandad
Inzamam
Younis Khan (Yousuf was arguably a better batsman and a better player of pace but Younis is way more clutch)
Imran Khan (c)
Rashid Latif (wk)
Wasim Akram
Abdul Qadir
Waqar Younis

Shoaib Akhtar, Mohammad Yousuf, Saqlain, Moin Khan, Fazal Mahmood

I will go with this list except Hobbs for Barry Richards.. Barry played just 5 international tests and although I haven't watched both of them I will go with the one with a bigger contribution or achievement towards his team.

Majority of Cricket pundits would have Hobbs in their XI.. But whatever footage I have seen of him looks unconvincing. I know I shouldn't place my entire judgement on a 10 second clip but to my mind, it contradicts the image of player I would like to imagine. Moreover, Hobbs didn't face formidable pace attacks in his career that often. So that also leaves some doubts

Regarding Barry, both him and Greenidge used to open for Hampshire.. Greenidge averaged 45.40 in 472 innings while Barry averaged 50.50 in 342 innings. We all know how good Greenidge was and as figures here suggest Barry was better than Greenidge by a fair distance. Thus to me he is good enough to open in my XI.

Well this was Sir Bradman's dream XI which was revealed after his death.

Barry Richards
Arthur Morris
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Garry Sobers
Don Tallon
Ray Lindwall
Dennis Lillee
Alec Bedser
Bill O'Reilly
Clarrie Grimmett

Wally Hammond (12th man).

Almost 15 years have passed since then and I think his team is heavily biased towards his era. I guess you can add and substitute whichever player who you think was great enough to replace a player in this XI in the last 2 to 3 decades.

I don't know how good most of these players were but if I can include one player, I feel Warne should definitely merit a place in this XI purely for him being the best ever leg spinner in history.

Well this was Sir Bradman's dream XI which was revealed after his death.

Barry Richards
Arthur Morris
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Garry Sobers
Don Tallon
Ray Lindwall
Dennis Lillee
Alec Bedser
Bill O'Reilly
Clarrie Grimmett

Wally Hammond (12th man).

Almost 15 years have passed since then and I think his team is heavily biased towards his era. I guess you can add and substitute whichever player who you think was great enough to replace a player in this XI in the last 2 to 3 decades.

I don't know how good most of these players were but if I can include one player, I feel Warne should definitely merit a place in this XI purely for him being the best ever leg spinner in history.

To be honest I have always had doubts about this XI.. It was released by author named Perrey who is notorious for making things up. He also has conveniently released this material after the death of these cricketers so there would be no way of verifying the authenticity

To be honest I have always had doubts about this XI.. It was released by author named Perrey who is notorious for making things up. He also has conveniently released this material after the death of these cricketers so there would be no way of verifying the authenticity

The article from where I took this XI says:

Bradman, who avoided publicity throughout his life, was reluctant to name his dream team but agreed to the offer from Perry on the assurance that his selection would be revealed only after his death.

I don't know about this Perry guy and yeah, what you say have chances of being true as well.

Sanath Jayasuriya
Tillekaratne Dilshan
Kumar Sangakkara
Aravinda de Silva
Mahela Jayawardene*
Angelo Mathews
Dinesh Chandimal+
Chaminda Vaas
Rumesh Ratnayeke
Muttiah Muralitharan
Lasith Malinga

Rest of the squad: Thilan Samaraweera, Rangana Herath, Ravi Ratnayeke

I thought of representing Zimbabwe on this thread. I have watched very few of their games live... mostly against India during last 5-6 years. I have also watched some clips of older players on YouTube. The team selection is based mostly on what I have read about Zimbabwe cricket (only 95 test caps for them so far... so I also did a quick records check online). I may have missed many deserving names but its just an attempt for Zimbabwe.

01. Andy Flower (WK)
02. Brendan Taylor
03. Murray Goodwin
04. Dave Houghton (C)
05. Hamilton Masakadza
06. Elton Chigumbura
07. Guy Whittal
08. Heath Streak
09. Andy Blignaut
10. Paul Strang
11. Pommie Mbangwa
12. Grant Flower

Majority of Cricket pundits would have Hobbs in their XI.. But whatever footage I have seen of him looks unconvincing. I know I shouldn't place my entire judgement on a 10 second clip but to my mind, it contradicts the image of player I would like to imagine. Moreover, Hobbs didn't face formidable pace attacks in his career that often. So that also leaves some doubts

Regarding Barry, both him and Greenidge used to open for Hampshire.. Greenidge averaged 45.40 in 472 innings while Barry averaged 50.50 in 342 innings. We all know how good Greenidge was and as figures here suggest Barry was better than Greenidge by a fair distance. Thus to me he is good enough to open in my XI.

Hobbs played the way he did because of the conditions of the time. You can't just judge himbased on how he looked facing bowling attacks and pitches which were totally different to today. Of course his technique would look different and "unconvincing" to someone from a different era. From all accounts, he mastered all types of bowling and was a master of batting on deadly sticky wickets. True ATG, and along with Hutton, he's a lock for AT XI openers spot

here is my indian xi
sunil gavaskar
sehwag
dravid
sachin
laxman
mankad
dhoni
kapil
zaheer khan
kumble
bedi

Barry Richards
Gavaskar
Bradman
Lara
Viv (c)
Sobers
Gilly (wk)
Wasim
Warne
Marshall
Ambrose

In terms of combinations and balance that line-up has all the bases covered I think.

Barry Richards
Gavaskar
Bradman
Lara
Viv (c)
Sobers
Gilly (wk)
Wasim
Warne
Marshall
Ambrose

In terms of combinations and balance that line-up has all the bases covered I think.

As a Lankan do you not wanna contest for the spinner's spot with Murali having equally or more freakish figures?

Also you don't think Sangakkara has a shout for a middle order place?

Hutton
Hobbs
Brad
Sach (vc)
Viv
Gilly (wk)
Immy (c)
Wasim
Malcolm
Warne
McGrath

Would crush any team in this thread.

I would love to watch this team play,
Sachin
Warner
Ponting
Kohli(C)
Root
ABD(W)
Ashwin
Steyn
Mcgrath
Broad
Amir

I thought of representing Zimbabwe on this thread. I have watched very few of their games live... mostly against India during last 5-6 years. I have also watched some clips of older players on YouTube. The team selection is based mostly on what I have read about Zimbabwe cricket (only 95 test caps for them so far... so I also did a quick records check online). I may have missed many deserving names but its just an attempt for Zimbabwe.

01. Andy Flower (WK)
02. Brendan Taylor
03. Murray Goodwin
04. Dave Houghton (C)
05. Hamilton Masakadza
06. Elton Chigumbura
07. Guy Whittal
08. Heath Streak
09. Andy Blignaut
10. Paul Strang
11. Pommie Mbangwa
12. Grant Flower

1. Brendan Taylor
2. Neil Johnson
3. Murray Goodwin
4. Dave Houghton*
5. Andrew Flower
6. Alistair Campbell
7. Tatenda Taibu
8. Paul Strang / John Traicos
9. Heath Streak
10. Andy Blignaut
11. Eddo Brandes

1. Brendan Taylor
2. Neil Johnson
3. Murray Goodwin
4. Dave Houghton*
5. Andrew Flower
6. Alistair Campbell
7. Tatenda Taibu
8. Paul Strang / John Traicos
9. Heath Streak
10. Andy Blignaut
11. Eddo Brandes

I too considered all those extra names you have in your All Time Zimbabwe Test XI. :)

Found Johnson's and Campbell's test records little too ordinary TBH... I haven't watched them play. I like Taibu. Traicos, I have heard was a master spin bowler. And Eddo's bowling action was awesome given he looked a little overweight... he looked penetrating as a seam bowler... pity so few good quality videos of him are availble.

Sunil Gavaskar
Matthew Hayden
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Greg Chappell
Gary Sobers
Adam Gilchrist +
Imran Khan *
Malcom Marshall
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath

Pakistan in Tests

Hanif Mohammad
Azhar Ali
Zaheer Abbas
Javed Miandad
Inzamam ul Haq
Misbah ul Haq (C)
Imran Khan (VC)
Sarfraz Ahmed (WK)
Wasim Akram
Yasir Shah
Waqar Younis

Last edited:
<U>India's greatest ever test XI</U>

Sunil Gavaskar
Virender Sehwag
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Vijay Hazare (c)
MS Dhoni (wkt)
Kapil Dev
Anil Kumble
Ravi Ashwin (home)/ Bhagwat Chandra (overseas)
Zaheer Khan
Jasprit Bumrah

Reserves

Virat Kohli
Vinoo Mankad
Mohammad Shami
VVS Laxman

A pace bowling attack of Jasprit Bumrah, Kapil Dev and Zaheer Khan will wreck havoc alongside the spin duo of Kumble and Chandra overseas/ Ashwin at home.

Last edited:
Hanif Mohammad
Saeed Anwar
Younis Khan
Javed Miandad
Inzamam ul Haq
Imran Khan
Rashid Latif
Wasim Akram
Abdul Qadir
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akhtar