The Ashes: England v Australia | 2nd Test | Lord's | Jun 28-Jul 02 | Day 3

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
England have an opportunity to put the pressure back on Australia with some good/responsible batting today. Weather looks good so should be no excuse.

Also, Lyon's absence could be a huge factor in the outcome of the game.

The story so far...

lcimg-fdf6d816-a43b-4d9e-a9b5-b45873f57912.jpg

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Highlights of Day 2 to remind us of how it all happened yesterday

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l9AfWptTesY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Steve Smith has revealed how a timely suggestion to his skipper helped shift the complexion of the second Test through one helter-skelter hour late on day two.

On Thursday morning at Lord's, Smith had reached another batting milestone in his extraordinary career, moving on to his 32nd Test century the day after reaching 9000 runs in the five-day game.

But he went on to have just as much influence in the field after a calf injury to off-spinner Nathan Lyon threatened to completely derail Australia's day with England motoring along handsomely in response to the visitors' 416.

"It wasn't ideal," reflected Smith. "We're going to miss Nathan this game and could miss him for a little while. I said to Patty (Cummins), 'Why don't we go for it with the short stuff?'"

The tactic was devised with England's 'Bazball' philosophy, in which they appear to be unwilling to refuse a challenge, firmly in mind. And sure enough, three of England's key batters fell into the trap, with Smith adding to a fine all-round day by taking two catches in the deep.

"That's how they play their cricket, I thought it worked well on this wicket," he added. "We had to revert to a different tactic.

"It was interesting. You ask most of the fast bowlers, they probably wouldn't want to keep charging in and bowling short stuff, but while it looked as likely as it did on a pretty benign surface, I think it was the right way to go.

If you get under a few, then we might stop doing it – maybe, I'm not sure – but they kept taking it on and they kept presenting opportunities for us."

The first of the 34-year-old's catches came on the boundary as Ollie Pope didn't get hold of all of Cameron Green's bouncer, and the second was key, as Smith dived forward to scoop up Joe Root's mishit hoick off Mitchell Starc.

"We felt like we were in the game for a lot of the time there," said Smith, pondering England's self-destructive 45 minutes.

"Until probably (Ben) Stokes, he came out and he started to duck under a few, but we were setting the fields and they were taking it on and creating opportunities."

Earlier, Smith had again put his name on the Lord's honours board serenely to become the fourth Australian batter to have his name inscribed twice, after also making 215 at the venue in 2015.

Unbeaten on 85 overnight after looking in complete control on the opening day, he had one scare when beaten by Stuart Broad on 99 but reached his ton soon after with an imperious cover drive off James Anderson, earning a warm embrace from batting partner, captain Cummins.

England were finally glad to see the back of their old tormentor when he was well caught in the gully by Ben Duckett for 110, attempting to drive Josh Tongue.

The milestone ton, coming a decade since his first at The Oval, brought Smith level with Steve Waugh in the list of Australian centurions, with only another former captain Ricky Ponting ahead of them on 41.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/ste...ustralia-quicks-england-test-lords/2023-06-30

Duckett disagreed. The opener admitted he was disappointed to get out but backed the method which has brought England 11 wins out of 14 Tests under Stokes and coach Brendon McCullum.

"That shot has got me plenty of runs in my career," he told the BBC's Test Match Special.

"That's how I was scoring runs before it got me out. I'm just gutted I didn't get over the line, if I'd have gone away from my natural game, I'd have been more frustrated."

Asked again if there was any doubt in the dressing room about the three similar dismissals, he said: "I'm not sure how to answer that. I'm surprised about the question.

"We've played positive cricket for the past 12 months and we're certainly not going to change.

"We're very happy with the position we're in, if we can eek close to them and even get a lead, I think we're on top in this game."

Big wicket - Stokes gone - Australian bowlers are so good!

Nathan Lyon update: 'Significant' calf strain

An update on the status of Australia off-spinner Nathan Lyon.

He has been diagnosed with a significant calf strain and will require a period of rehabilitation after this match is concluded.

A decision regarding his availability for the remainder of the series will be made at the conclusion of the game.

Brook is some player, embodiment of the modern basher

And Brook throws away an excellent opportunity to get a big score and solidify England’s position because his clown captain and clown coach asked him to slog. What a joke.

:)))

Bazball claims another victim. Australia is doing a huge service to Test cricket.

Australia should be winning this Test by 100+ runs.

I remember Stokes said he wants to declare with deficit. May be he can try that now lol Anyway they are not going to add anymore runs

It is basically 3.5 bowler attack now. One is Starc. lol So This is a pathetic score against such attack

Dude from Smokey and the Bandits bowling, needs to be smoked

Edit: gone

Imagine this line up facing peak Mitchell Johnson. You would have seen so many bruised bodies.

England being rolled over. Ashes might not be alive too for England in couple of weeks.

England should remember the old boxing phrase ‘Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth’
Bazball goes ok until it doesn’t, what a waste this session has been.

The Harry Brooks dismissal is something I expect from Yasir Shah's batting

Dont understand why KP thinks Australia might be happy with a draw considering Lyon is unavailable in this Test match

Travis Head is more than capable of holding one end up even as a part timer. Australia will win this if they get a 400 run lead

England had an opportunity to bat Australia out of the game. Instead they collapsed like a minnow team. Ball is Australia's court. Will they set a target like 500?

Warner keeps run down into the rough after playing each dot ball. England will be weary of this

Well, bazball has clearly failed, it wont work against top sides.

England surrendering the Ashes :facepalm:

Starc is so under rated in Tests because he leaks quiet a bit but has an uncanny knack for these impact spells.

England were going at 5rpo playing proper cricketing shots until they started to slog everything that came their way.
At what rate do they want to score?? 10-12?

England were going at 5rpo playing proper cricketing shots until they started to slog everything that came their way.
At what rate do they want to score?? 10-12?

I think the short ball played a part, it can look messy when you play the pull and hook.

Starc is so under rated in Tests because he leaks quiet a bit but has an uncanny knack for these impact spells.

Boland is an excellent bowler but he is not going to do anything that Cummins or Hazelwood can't do. Having Starc gives another dimension to the bowling. It wont suit all occasions but it gives results.

If there can be a concussion sub, why not have one for the external injuries, sort of what Lyon is down with.

I can't understand this bazball approach all the time. Yes it may work at times when like chasing 300+ runs in the fourth innings with wearing pitch... In such cases it is understandable, instead of trying to be defensive (and failing at that) it is better to go with ultra-positive approach & create a chance to win (like they won against India last time)

But this is just madness in a test match and kills the spirit of the game! Just like when a batsman/team plays slowly in a LOI game is criticized (like Kohli is brutally criticized in T20s for his RCB team) even this has to be criticized severely... I am surprised why the English board and purists of English Cricket have still not taken this English Test Cricket team to the task....

Knives out for England's approach!

Atherton: England on the wrong side of reckless

"A very disappointing morning from England's perspective," says Michael Atherton. "They were 181-1 yesterday, with Nathan Lyon out of the attack and probably the best conditions of the match. To then be bowled out for 325 that's a really disappointing return.

"If you go back to last summer, England's approach is one of calculated aggression. Here, it seems to be all out aggression, no matter what.

"They were just the wrong side of reckless in that innings, and this morning in particular with the dismissal of Harry Brooks."

"Even Eoin [Morgan] who I reckon is kind of the spiritual godfather of 'bazball' might have thought that that was slightly reckless?" asks Athers.

Knives out for England's approach!

Atherton: England on the wrong side of reckless

"A very disappointing morning from England's perspective," says Michael Atherton. "They were 181-1 yesterday, with Nathan Lyon out of the attack and probably the best conditions of the match. To then be bowled out for 325 that's a really disappointing return.

"If you go back to last summer, England's approach is one of calculated aggression. Here, it seems to be all out aggression, no matter what.

"They were just the wrong side of reckless in that innings, and this morning in particular with the dismissal of Harry Brooks."

"Even Eoin [Morgan] who I reckon is kind of the spiritual godfather of 'bazball' might have thought that that was slightly reckless?" asks Athers.

Don’t mind a side being 321 all out in the second innings but they should also take out a bit of time from the game

England bat too fast and leave too much time for the opposition. Tbh let’s wait for the final result and hold judgement

Ollie Pope off again - his shoulder still giving him problems

Come on Australia make it 2-0 . current England team is most overhyped test team with wild slogging.

Lead close to 150 now and England facing an uphill battle to save the match.

Terrible day so far for England.

I think the short ball played a part, it can look messy when you play the pull and hook.
England traditionally is weak against short stuffs. This is like third Ashes I see where England is getting bounced out or bullied with bouncers. May be they are not used to short stuffs in England

Lost count of the number times, the batting conditions become better whenever England bat. 2018 India tour of England, 2019 Ashes, this Ashes.

Australia have batted in tough batting conditions and then bowled in unhelpful bowling conditions . There's a much bigger difference between these sides than the score suggests .

And as per the forecast, the weather is going going be gloomy all day today and sunny tomorrow 2nd session just about when England comes to bat

Lost count of the number times, the batting conditions become better whenever England bat. 2018 India tour of England, 2019 Ashes, this Ashes.

And as per the forecast, the weather is going going be gloomy all day today and sunny tomorrow 2nd session just about when England comes to bat

We have a secret weather machine :)

current England team is most overhyped test team with wild slogging.

England are rated by the ICC as the 3rd best Test side by a wide margin, but they are also rated below both Australia and India. That seems about right.

Remember they’ve got 11 wins from the last 14 Tests, and 2 of the losses were very narrow (by 1 run and by 2 wickets), which is a strong recent record. Although they look like the 2nd best team in this series, England haven’t become a bunch of no-hopers all of a sudden.

That's what happens when you appeal for everything, Broady. Both umpire and captain lose faith in your appeals.

If they get whitewashed it will impact their chances to get to WTC final. NZ or SA can sneak in along with Australia

If they get whitewashed it will impact their chances to get to WTC final. NZ or SA can sneak in along with Australia

Bit early to be talking about a whitewash. Still matches to come at Headingley, Old Trafford and the Oval, where England have picked up many a famous win over the years. Actually winning the series for England looks miles off, but a whitewash is highly unlikely.

Lazy shot that by Labuschagne - giving England a freebie.

221 lead.

Australia target a lead of 450 then put England in?

Bit early to be talking about a whitewash. Still matches to come at Headingley, Old Trafford and the Oval, where England have picked up many a famous win over the years. Actually winning the series for England looks miles off, but a whitewash is highly unlikely.

Two reasons. Their formula is not working against OZ. Will they revert to old failong methods. Australia sets a one day field and use Englands strength against them. Second one is tiring of old bowlers. 78 mph is pedestrian. Australia is known for grinding opposition to dust on relatively easier batting surfaces. England lacks a quality offie which is Australia's weakness. Both departments need to improve. If Stokes is stuck with his risky approach without any improvement, white wash cannot be ruled out. Only man that can save England is Root. If he bats like the old root he can blunt Aussies.

Two reasons. Their formula is not working against OZ. Will they revert to old failong methods. Australia sets a one day field and use Englands strength against them. Second one is tiring of old bowlers. 78 mph is pedestrian. Australia is known for grinding opposition to dust on relatively easier batting surfaces. England lacks a quality offie which is Australia's weakness. Both departments need to improve. If Stokes is stuck with his risky approach without any improvement, white wash cannot be ruled out. Only man that can save England is Root. If he bats like the old root he can blunt Aussies.

I’m not ruling it out. I said highly unlikely.

England have been whitewashed at Home once in their entire 145-year history, and that was by West Indies in 1984, arguably the best team of all time.

I know people who don’t support England are enjoying “BazBall” hitting the buffers for the first time, but let’s not get too excited just yet.

Play must resume by 6pm - If we are not back playing by six o'clock, that will be stumps.

lcimg-4d7d6a0b-3846-4734-83d1-a31e9c12eec5.jpg

A whitewash is highly unlikely. And this pragmatic Australian side won't go for it. It will be difficult to enforce a win when you cant bat fast in these conditions and when you are a bowler down.

I think Australia will assess and just look to bat as long as possible and rule out an England win first before even trying to win.

Just make sure this attack clocks more miles before the 3rd test. Australia anyway start as favourites at Old Trafford. Just need to get another win and they'll have the Ashes

A whitewash is highly unlikely. And this pragmatic Australian side won't go for it. It will be difficult to enforce a win when you cant bat fast in these conditions and when you are a bowler down.

I think Australia will assess and just look to bat as long as possible and rule out an England win first before even trying to win.

Just make sure this attack clocks more miles before the 3rd test. Australia anyway start as favourites at Old Trafford. Just need to get another win and they'll have the Ashes

3rd Test is at Headingley. England have some very famous Ashes wins at Headingley. That could be a close one.

The umpires have decided that is it for Day 3 at Lord’s!

lcimg-4d7d6a0b-3846-4734-83d1-a31e9c12eec5.jpg

Australia wreaked havoc in the morning session with the ball before a steady showing with the bat helped them seize control of the second Ashes Test at Lord's.

Australia took charge of the second Ashes Test at Lord's after a brilliant performance with the ball in the morning session. In what turned out to be a horror morning session for the hosts, they lost 6 wickets for only 47 runs in a 90-minute spell, being bowled out for 325.

It was a brilliant bowling performance, especially after the big blow of Nathan Lyon likely missing out on the rest of the Ashes with a calf injury. Mitchell Starc was the protagonist in chief of England's downfall, ending up with figures of 3/88, but mainly scalping two of his wickets on the morning of day three.

Starc started the procession, first dismissing England skipper Ben Stokes on 17 in the first over of the morning, as the England skipper edged one to the third slip. Starc then dismissed the dangerous-looking Harry Brook on 50, employing a well-planned short-ball tactic.

The fall of wickets continued, with Josh Hazlewood getting in on the act to dismiss Jonny Bairstow for 16. Travis Head, acting as Australia's frontline spinner after Lyon's injury would then scalp the next two wickets, sending back Oliie Robinson and Stuart Broad to the hutch for 9 and 12 respectively.

Skipper Pat Cummins would scalp the final wicket, dismissing Josh Tongue on 1 with a brilliantly executed bouncer as England were left shell-shocked on what exactly had transpired in the morning session. Australia were elated as they took a handy lead of 91 at the end of the first innings.

In reply, Australia got a solid opening partnership of 63, with David Warner and Usman Khawaja batting out for a large chunk of the second session.

Warner was dismissed on 25 by Josh Tongue but the hosts were on the backfoot, with Australia's lead swelling. Khawaja was joined by Marnus Labuschagne who saw out a tricky period before tea to ensure there was no further damage.

Khawaja then continued his brilliant run in the series, bringing up his 23rd half-century in challenging overhead conditions, with dark clouds looming over Lord's.

James Anderson finally gave England something to celebrate, as Labuschagne slashed at a wide delivery from the veteran pacer to only find the fielder at point to walk back for 30.

Bad light and showers would then force the players off the field, with Khawaja batting on 58* and Steve Smith on 6*, with Australia's score on 130/2 and the lead at a healthy 221 runs.

The rain continued to fall at Lord's, leading to stumps being called early on day three.

ICC

I’m not ruling it out. I said highly unlikely.

England have been whitewashed at Home once in their entire 145-year history, and that was by West Indies in 1984, arguably the best team of all time.

I know people who don’t support England are enjoying “BazBall” hitting the buffers for the first time, but let’s not get too excited just yet.

Don't worry it's been exposed. The aura is finished. England once again exposed as a fraud of a Test team who can't play proper Test cricket. 5-0 incoming and Stokes and BM will be fired.

Hours of play for tomorrow
1100-1315
1355-1610
1630-1830 plus 30 mins

Lazy shot that by Labuschagne - giving England a freebie.

221 lead.

Australia target a lead of 450 then put England in?

They are batting too slow

At this point they will give England enough time to not get bowled out and target 5 an over if they want to set something decent up to Tea tomorrow

At the pace they are playing, the max I see Australia adding is 150-200 runs in two sessions

3rd Test is at Headingley. England have some very famous Ashes wins at Headingley. That could be a close one.

Hard to say. It's a short turnaround.. England need their stalwarts - Broad, Anderson and Ollie there. It's a place for accurate seamers.

Not sure how they will pull up. Mark Wood would be less effective there. .

Also, Headingley is a very chase friendly venue . And Australia unfortunately prefers to bat first most of the time

Unless you are facing Phil Defreitas, Neil Foster , Martin McCague, Mark Illot , Martin Bicknell level dibbly dobblers, it's never a good place to bat first.

I'll just say that the team that bowls first has a massive advantage

Don't worry it's been exposed. The aura is finished. England once again exposed as a fraud of a Test team who can't play proper Test cricket. 5-0 incoming and Stokes and BM will be fired.

That’s your wishful thinking and projection.

They are batting too slow

At this point they will give England enough time to not get bowled out and target 5 an over if they want to set something decent up to Tea tomorrow

At the pace they are playing, the max I see Australia adding is 150-200 runs in two sessions

Australia hold the cards in this match, they can choose to make it airtight and bat until lunchtime on day five if they want. But I think we’ll see an England chase which will likely come up short.

Highlights of Day 3

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7eGYB8BQZbY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

England's failure to get the last two wickets in the first test could well be the turning point of the series. England's bowling has been well below par and quality this series

Australia hold the cards in this match, they can choose to make it airtight and bat until lunchtime on day five if they want. But I think we’ll see an England chase which will likely come up short.

Not entirely. They are a bowler short. Remember. Hazlewood has just returned. Starc is erratic. You can target him. Cummins is the sole threat. Green is unfit.

They set out saving test cricket, now are trying to save the series. 😂

Eng dont seem like they want to win with the way they are batting. Wood is almost confirmed to replace Jimmy for the next test. Woakes also needs to replace one of broad or robinson as eng need a no.8 who can bat.

That’s your wishful thinking and projection.

Are you watching the match? The team has no spine or fight. Reports that Key and BMac are angry at the players for being irresponsible. It's falling apart fast.

Back