The battle for the captaincy: Mohammad Rizwan vs Shadab Khan

Again, as it takes a few tries to get you to understand, 1 bad season doesnt make ISLU a bad team. You're desperately trying to pin the blame on Misbah but it's simply not the case. The man was national coach and gave up his ISLU gig for PCT. Even after he left, there was no drastic change is ISLU's approach. The formula is still there.

Shadab learnt from the very best, he's successful because he's part of a great setup.

If you believe otherwise then please present arguments as to what Shadab did differently compared to previous seasons of ISLU
Misbah removed the international openers for IU.

He had someone like rizwan Hussain opening, put Hussain talat at no 3, had his buddy asif ali at no 7.

The team for IU that failed wasn't because They had an unlucky season, its because they had a bad team and chose a bad team.

Misbah is the same guy who decided to have our lower order comprised of khusdil Shah, Asif Ali, Iftikhar, Nawaz, Shadab for pur t20 and odi team lol which is beyond hilarious.

All the changes shadab made currently are his own changes.

Please don't support a captain like misbah who makes a debutant like umar Amin his vc, or decides to have someone like umar akmal keep over a specilaist keeper like sarfraz in 2015 or thinks nasir jamshed and younis Khan deserved world cup spots over fawad alam and Sami aslam who had superior 2014 stints then them.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are derailing the thread by finding faults in Misbah's coaching and captaincy for the national team. I can argue with you about all those points but the topic here is Shadab's captaincy in the PSL.

All the changes shadab made currently are his own changes.

What were these changes? What did Shadab the captain do that was different from previous seasons? IMO he was following the same template as ISLU always has

Misbah removed the international openers for IU.

He had someone like rizwan Hussain opening, put Hussain talat at no 3, had his buddy asif ali at no 7.

If you followed PSL back then, you would know that Munro and Ronchi were not available and I believe were called up for national duty.

Hussain Talat was once an answer for a much needed pace all rounder spot for the national team. He showed promise at one point but faded away like many young PSL performers. His buddy Asif Ali is still playing for ISLU

Last edited by a moderator:
Nonsense is when you don't know what you're talking about and coming up with BS answers. If you followed PSL back then, you would know that Munro and Ronchi were not available and I believe were called up for national duty.

Hussain Talat was once an answer for a much needed pace all rounder spot for the national team. He showed promise at one point but faded away like many young PSL performers. His buddy Asif Ali is still playing for ISLU
I remember talat. People thought he was going to be the next big thing. I was hopeful about him too. It’s just the never ending process, we hype these guys when they’re young and when they’re older they were never good enough. People hyped up talat just like they are currently hyping up Haris and Saim. People were even hyping Shehzad like that back in the day. Whatever the captain the same thing happens. That’s why I can’t get excited about talent, until you actually make the step up and show some performance in internationals, you can’t properly hype up these players.

The only thing that seems clear with batsmen is the guys that debut a little later tend to do better overall. Most of the guys debuting at 20 or so never actually have a proper career. They just get lost in the system.

People are forgetting how awful Shadab was in his captaincy vs Afghanistan. Pakistan lost the T20 series under his leadership.
Debut series is hardly a benchmark to judge someone's captaincy. Shadab lost his series 2-1. Shaheen also lost 4-1.

There have been many poor as well as great captains in history who lost their debut series as captains.

I remember talat. People thought he was going to be the next big thing. I was hopeful about him too. It’s just the never ending process, we hype these guys when they’re young and when they’re older they were never good enough. People hyped up talat just like they are currently hyping up Haris and Saim. People were even hyping Shehzad like that back in the day. Whatever the captain the same thing happens. That’s why I can’t get excited about talent, until you actually make the step up and show some performance in internationals, you can’t properly hype up these players.

The only thing that seems clear with batsmen is the guys that debut a little later tend to do better overall. Most of the guys debuting at 20 or so never actually have a proper career. They just get lost in the system.
Talat is a complete dud against pace and his only shot seems to be dab to 3rd man both haris and Saim have far more potential than him.

Debut series is hardly a benchmark to judge someone's captaincy. Shadab lost his series 2-1. Shaheen also lost 4-1.

There have been many poor as well as great captains in history who lost their debut series as captains.
I’ve always felt Shadab was the future long term captain. There’s just something about his aura that screams it, I can’t really describe it. Wasn’t surprised when he was made captain of IU. I think also being a bowler, batsman and excellent fielder helps, he can contribute in every facet.

I think even PCB were pushing it. Reluctant to drop him even when he does bad, because they think he will eventually be future captain. I don’t think Shaheen was really thought about too much, it’s more he’s forced his way into the conversation with back to back PSL wins.

Shadab’s periods of lost form in recent years have hurt him otherwise I think he would have made t20 captain over Shaheen. As I said previously I think he was the original choice.

Luckily Shadab had a better team combination in this PSL so he managed to win the title. Otherwise Rizwan showed better captaincy and his decisions were precise and spot on which makes him a better captain than any other player currently playing for Pakistan.

That is completely false and untrue? What do you even mean?

PZ had beaten IU black and blue, Blame babar for being an idiot.

Babar was a trash captain who bowled put David Willey and let 2 trundles bowl the final overs, it's not like this is the first time he did this, he did it against sa as well.

Pz and MS had waystronger teams on paper, if you actually think a lower order comprised of haider Ali makes you a goat team and shadab batting at 4 makes IU the strongest team of the tournament then you need to drink your morning coffee.
I have no clue what you are saying about the Babar and Wiley part!

A deep batting line up and having Haider coming in at 7 did make a huge difference, especially in the Semi-final when they were close to losing.

No other PSL team had that kind of depth to their batting and could have pulled it off after being 5 wickets down.

So the battle is over now. The best captains of PSL 9 were overlooked by PCB

Back