"The best quality about Misbah-ul-Haq was he had a great ability to read the game" : Sarfaraz Ahmed

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
"The best quality about Misbah-ul-Haq was he had a great ability to read the game" : Sarfaraz Ahmed

Pakistan players on Misbah's appointment as Head Coach:

Sarfaraz Ahmed

"I played cricket under Misbah for 3 years including Tests and ODIs; He was obviously a good captain and the best thing about him was that he could read the game well"

"Especially in Test cricket as during that time we won quite a few Test matches in 2014-2017 and in that period we also became number one in Tests also"

"During that time we won Tests that we could have lost"

Yasir Shah

"During the last Test against West Indies, I gave Misbah Bhai tea, he said I dont need that, I want you to get some players out"

Usman Khan Shinwari

"[When training] when we started to fall over [due to tiredness] Misbah Bhai would start running faster so we would feel ashamed; He used to give us that push which came from the fact that our 40+ commander is running so we should also run as we are youngsters"

Fakhar Zaman

"Misbah bhai is a very calm person and he does give a lot of advice; the biggest positive is that he has just retired and he has a good idea of what modern-day cricket is all about"

Wahab Riaz

"Misbah Bhai would be standing next to me at mid-on and he would be reading the batsman way better than what I was doing" : Wahab Riaz

"I would ask him what to do and he would tell me things like bowl him a bouncer or a slow bouncer or yorker"

"His cricketing mind is superb and he had a huge hand to play in my success in the 2015 World Cup"

Shan Masood

"Sharing the dressing room with him was a big thing in itself"

"When you have Misbah and Younis Khan in the dressing room, then that is like a childhood dream come true for a person as you are playing alongside your idols"

Mohammad Amir

"I have always believed that a calm personality can always manage matters in a better way, and this is a quality which is at its best in Misbah Bhai"

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol at the buttering and bhai bhai culture. This was expected when your head coach is also the chief selector?

In the event if your captain or fellow player disagrees with the coach, will his career be terminated because the Head Coach also happens to be the chief selector?

And if they are not picked for odis would you apologise for your words .

I don't care if they are picked or not calling Rahat to the camp is criminal. Azhar should have been kicked out along with Asad both have been rubbish for some time. While Azhar just about averaged 20 for somerset lol.

I don't care if they are picked or not calling Rahat to the camp is criminal. Azhar should have been kicked out along with Asad both have been rubbish for some time. While Azhar just about averaged 20 for somerset lol.

Talk about running away from orginal post
Good try .
Did i say i support azhar ,rahat ali inclusion in pakistan limited over cricket?What make you think they will be picked for odis .When one of them have retired gracefully .Atleast wait till the opportunity arise for you to jump the bandwagon .

I will wait for misbahs changes and selection of teams before making any call.. I expect him to bring one Azhar or Asad into the ODIs for experience in place of Malik and Hafeez...

He might even name Hafeez as LOI captain....lets see..

So far he has called in Rahat, Asif ali , Bilal asif and Ifthikar ahmed who were all failed in the international arena as it doesnt suit their domestic style of play...

Quotes posted from players in Post#1

Lol at the buttering and bhai bhai culture. This was expected when your head coach is also the chief selector?

In the event if your captain or fellow player disagrees with the coach, will his career be terminated because the Head Coach also happens to be the chief selector?

That;s typical Pakistani culture, but its pays off. Now Srafraz who should be sacked from the team for any format, will be back with his buttering of "Misbah Bhai". Even Riaz , who generally is a very straight forward man, calling him "Misbah Bhai".

Mohammad Amir

"I have always believed that a calm personality can always manage matters in a better way, and this is a quality which is at its best in Misbah Bhai"

Definitely an upgrade over an overemotional personality like Mickey Arther as Amir has hinted.

Yeah and you clearly haven't learned anything. When will you be taken to task ?

Definitely an upgrade over an overemotional personality like Mickey Arther as Amir has hinted.

Unfortunately Mickey Arthur being a colossal screw up has now resulted in Misbah becoming our coach

Unfortunately Mickey Arthur being a colossal screw up has now resulted in Misbah becoming our coach

So if you had to choose between Mickey and Misbah, who would you go for?

True, Mickey's deeds have definitely effected PCB to make some blunt and bold calls which we can only hope turn out to be atleast better than the last two years of team struggles.

a dig at Sarfaraz I think .

Yes definitely can be. It was not very heartening even for the fans watching Sarfaraz getting emotional outburst's on the field while Mickey throwing his hats, grinding his teeth and openly displaying his disappointments in all sorts of form from the dressing room, so I cant believe what kind of experience that must be for the players playing international cricket which already has enough pressure of its own.

Yes, it's not a dig at Mickey but om Sarfaraz on field leadership skills. My my., think sarfaraz maybe ditched off the test and odi captaincy.. hafeez is in line folks ..

So if you had to choose between Mickey and Misbah, who would you go for?

One thing I am definitive about Mickey Arthur had his shot, he failed to even convince the PCB Cricket Committee. Under his watch we lost 15 ODI's in a row. Wahab Riaz had to be recalled for the WC outside the squad of 30 and it turned out to be a great selection. Mickey Arthur's backing of Faheem Ashraf failed. We all saw his screw up's in refusing to play 2 plus spinners in UAE. Under Arthur we were blown away by NZ, Australia, South Africa at home and had also lost in our home conditions. Take out the CT he has nothing to speak off.

Wasim Khan apparently grilled him in the PCB Cricket Committee about him talking a lot about modern fitness standards but why did the WC team have so many out of shape players? Why were injured players selected? Mickey had no answers.

Also according to a journalist Mickey had some very serious fights with the team in the dressing room in which he used very unparliamentary language against the players. In fact they were aware of the fact he got divorced from his wife and the divorce actually contributed massively to one of his big fights with the team.

The PCB Cricket Committee did not decide to not renew his contract without any reason. I still support the PCB's decision to let him go, even if it has resulted in Misbah becoming the new czar.

That being said, if the PCB decided to do away with Mickey Arthur, Inzamam then it was only fair that they sack Sarfaraz as well

Misbah was one of the best things that happened to PAK cricket from 2007 - 2015.

Now,

He'll take us out of the dark era of Mickey Arthur, where we got humiliated everywhere, full of losses, even at home we kept losing Tests.

Wonderful days ahead for PAK cricket. Players have a massive respect for the man, his integrity, fitness, cricketing and leadership skills. People who actually play cricket realize he's got the best cricketing brain in the country.

When you have this good chemistry with the players, plus command respect and authority, the team will eventually yield good results.

Misbah was one of the best things that happened to PAK cricket from 2007 - 2015.

Now,

He'll take us out of the dark era of Mickey Arthur, where we got humiliated everywhere, full of losses, even at home we kept losing Tests.

Wonderful days ahead for PAK cricket. Players have a massive respect for the man, his integrity, fitness, cricketing and leadership skills. People who actually play cricket realize he's got the best cricketing brain in the country.

When you have this good chemistry with the players, plus command respect and authority, the team will eventually yield good results.

Why are your posts always so hyperbolic, one way or the other :inti

"Dark era"

"Wonderful days"

Hold your horses....

Sarfraz is looking so fit. Misbah has already more than Mickey

Why are your posts always so hyperbolic, one way or the other :inti

"Dark era"

"Wonderful days"

Hold your horses....

Well said.

If there was a competition for who could lead the darkest era for Pakistan cricket, Misbah would win with distinction. [MENTION=134608]Hawkeye[/MENTION] shooting himself in the foot as usual.

"Dark" Mickey Arthur era

Won Pakistan the 2017 CT held in England.

In the WC, Pakistan beat 4 of the top 8 ranked sides (out of 6), including two semi-finalists, who both went on to reach the final. Overall, Pakistan marginally missed out on the Semis on NRR.

Misbah's era

In the 2013 CT (also held in England), Misbah's side crashed out of the group stage losing every game.

In the 2015 WC, under Misbah Pakistan could only muster one win against a top eight ranked ODI side. The other three wins in the tournament came against Ireland, Zimbabwe and UAE, who are all minnows!

To top this off, Misbah's ODI team ended up sliding down to 9th, shortly after the WC. This is important to highlight because Pakistan barely qualified for the CT.

Incredible how Sarfraz has survived the axe (so far). A complete mockery of accountability.

Incredible how Sarfraz has survived the axe (so far). A complete mockery of accountability.

I'm sure he will be sacked soon. Probably once domestic season starts, we can see who the best captains are out of Babar/Haris/Rizwan etc. And that person will be the new captain. (Babar probably)

"Ability to read the game?" Haha. That's exactly the thing Misbah doesn't have.

Sarfraz is looking so fit. Misbah has already more than Mickey

Sarfaraz has been in this shape before and lost it after a month. Now that his spot and captaincy is on the line, he's got no choice. Don't act like Mickey didn't whip majority of the team into shape.

Read the game beautifully in Mohali.

Reads the game beautifully by scoring pointless half centuries at a strike rate of 60-70 and remains not out, team jaye bhaar main

Now,

If I remember correctly Misbah achieved heights as a test captain for which his game and thinking suits but failed as an LOI captain where u need to think and act fast. Similar type of leader Azhar failed, but I’m sure he would have succeeded as test captain which was never tried and instead given to big mouth Sarfraz who has zero patience and calmness.

At an early stage Dave wanted hafeez to be the ODI captain when Misbah was the captain himself which is a good thought that Hafeez is a better ODI captain but Misbah with his selfishness wanted to be the CWC captain and achieved it. There was a race between Misbah and Afridi to captain the CWC which made things ugly, I hope that race is put to bed in the future because Misbah and Waqar are the men cultivated that.

If Misbah appoints Hafeez as Odi captain now he would not leave the team until he captains the team in 2023 CWC.

If Misbah can be different now as supposed how he was during captain days, then it will be benefit I guess. If not then the man who failed to take the team upwards as captain will now fail as a coach cum selector with the same bunch.

Read the game beautifully in Mohali.

Reads the game beautifully by scoring pointless half centuries at a strike rate of 60-70 and remains not out, team jaye bhaar main

He was a disaster to have when u chase. Malik showed how it is done in number of matches just after Misbah is gone during 2016-17. U need players who can chase the score like Kohli, dhoni, and to the least as Malik level not as Misbah.

Which is why most sensible fans don't take this circus seriously. Very pathetic way to appoint Misbah coach and chief selector and sacking everyone except the mediocre captain makes you very less passionate about Pakistan cricket even for a die hard fan as me.

Misbah and Sarfraz have to be the two most fake personalities in cricket I had to witness. A pair of these two leading us has to be the worst moment in our history.

funny in the OP we have qoutes by people who have played under Misbah. And above me there are post by people who dont even know Misbah the captain and just critisize something called leadership and coaching based on ones batting.

Misbah dragged our possibly worst world cup squad to quarter finals in WC15 with a team that had literally no spine.
His reading of pitch and conditions esp in Tests has always been extremely good and under rated.
The fact he never lost a series in UAE speaks of how much he knew about how to play on UAE tracks where we are going to be playing majority of our Tests.

Misbah dragged our possibly worst world cup squad to quarter finals in WC15 with a team that had literally no spine.
His reading of pitch and conditions esp in Tests has always been extremely good and under rated.
The fact he never lost a series in UAE speaks of how much he knew about how to play on UAE tracks where we are going to be playing majority of our Tests.

Pakistan’s format in the 2015 World Cup was a joke. They had to finish 4th among 7 teams in a group that had Ireland, Zimbabwe and UAE. Among the three other teams that qualified (India, SA and WI), Pakistan only beat SA and were thoroughly embarrassed by India and WI.

Among the 7 matches that we played, we only produced 1 impressive performance. Yes it was a mediocre team, but not poor enough to lose to Zimbabwe, UAE and Ireland.

Misbah was by and large a horrendous ODI captain and the team made no progress under his captaincy after 4 years.

Future probables come out of the woodwork!

@iamAhmadshahzad
Congratulations @captainmisbahpk on being appointed as the head coach, chief selector& @waqyounis99 bhai as bowling coach by @TheRealPCB .

With these strong cricketing minds,having experience up their sleeves&a vast knowledge of the sport I foresee great times ahead 4 ����cricket.

Pakistan’s format in the 2015 World Cup was a joke. They had to finish 4th among 7 teams in a group that had Ireland, Zimbabwe and UAE. Among the three other teams that qualified (India, SA and WI), Pakistan only beat SA and were thoroughly embarrassed by India and WI.

Among the 7 matches that we played, we only produced 1 impressive performance. Yes it was a mediocre team, but not poor enough to lose to Zimbabwe, UAE and Ireland.

Misbah was by and large a horrendous ODI captain and the team made no progress under his captaincy after 4 years.

Basically, he was more interested in picking his friends. Didn't matter about developing the strongest team possible. I mean how could you have played Shafiq and YK then expect to win?! To rub salt in the already glistening wounds, he then appointed Azhar Ali as captain after he departed?! A bloke he did not pick to play for the ODI side, I mean what was that all about?

Basically, he was more interested in picking his friends. Didn't matter about developing the strongest team possible. I mean how could you have played Shafiq and YK then expect to win?! To rub salt in the already glistening wounds, he then appointed Azhar Ali as captain after he departed?! A bloke he did not pick to play for the ODI side, I mean what was that all about?

Asad Shafiq wasn't in the WC15 squad. And last time i checked, PCB chairman appointed captains for the team.

Back