"The current Pakistan Test squad doesn't have any marketable face apart from Babar Azam": Ramiz Raja

If marketability is a criteria for inclusion in a Pakistan national team, then maybe PCB should go for a team made up of actors! Ramiz has totally lost it.

Babar doesn’t have fans, people like you only like him because imran khan had asked ramiz raja to appoint him as captain and give him full authority.

Had babar azam been selected by nawaz sharif as captain you would be the first one shouting on top of your lungs to drop babar azam

Therefore babar don't have market value all his support isn't because of babar himself but due to political reason
There you guy. Read and Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
There you guy. Read and Enjoy

@RyanRyan10 the mystery is solved. It was a 19 year old keeper apparently, not a 42 year old as claimed by Chacha jee here

I understand why you are so bitter. After I brought up the Raza suggested selection, I found the thread just like Rana did. And guess which moron was calling for his selection after 42 in a T20 match. Take a close look in the mirror and you may find a guy that wanted to select a player for PK after scoring 42. Yes 42
Stop being silly. It's your ilk that follow criminals blindly- intelligent people like us, like or dislike players on their aesthetics and performance. For me Babar is the most talented player we produced this century in all formats. And by a long way. He is universally agreed on by most ex players as a very good player and then we have you and Rana wanting to select a Player after he scored 42
Your silliness is magnified by your desperation to find something to credit NS with but all we saw is a duffer that can't string a sentence together, never mind show any leadership.

BTW
Do You want me to bring up the thread. I hope you don't blame IK or me for you wanting to select a guy that scored 42🤣🤣🤣🥰
Nothing to be bitter about would take a blind wicket keeper over your beloved rizwan

As @MenInG asked "Based on one T20 game". Ouch
Why you asking MIG to save you from embarrassment now having fallen face flat with your one theory to bring me down?

Apparently I wanted a 19 year old Wicket Keeper batsman to progress and replace Pakistan’s rubbish T20 opener/keeper. So I’m a criminal now?

Come back to me when your guy averages over 40 in tests, over 40 in T20s and ODIs. Otherwise stick to your silly suggestions

How about you wake up when Pakistan isn’t ranked 9th in every format even though it has a top order batsman who averaged 40+ in every format

Come back to me when your guy averages over 40 in tests, over 40 in T20s and ODIs. Otherwise stick to your silly suggestions

The fact that you’re giving so much importance to his white ball average when that’s clearly been inflated after bashing minnows and B/C tier bowling attacks.

Also, it’s not just about performance. It’s also about how you carry yourself on and off the field.

Has it ever occurred to you why the PCB have been super reluctant after all this time to appoint him as captain? They know what kind of person he is. Also, when someone is desperate to portray themselves as a saint, you can tell something is off with them from a mile away.

The fact that you’re giving so much importance to his white ball average when that’s clearly been inflated after bashing minnows and B/C tier bowling attacks.

Also, it’s not just about performance. It’s also about how you carry yourself on and off the field.

Has it ever occurred to you why the PCB have been super reluctant after all this time to appoint him as captain? They know what kind of person he is. Also, when someone is desperate to portray themselves as a saint, you can tell something is off with them from a mile away.

Stop riding Rizwan’s meat.
Which is fine but you guys go quiet on replacements. These guys suggested a guy that scored 42 in one game

Who cares though. If he is a Saint or not. Performances matter. He has had two good Aus tours. Probably not good for white ball.

Test format - Marketable and Babar?

Was he rated very high in Pakistan in the test format?

You got to have 1-2 iconic series or at least 3-4 iconic knocks in test to get the train moving.

I have followed full career of Shahid Afridi from from his fastest century to his last T20I match, how many times he did his infamous tell all press conferences & openly ridiculed PCB, fellow players, coaches in media, how many times he faked his retirement & came back and how he was literally begging to Inzammam for one farewell game just to showoff his fake legacy. According to me he had the most manipulative career in the history of Pakistan cricket, he was neither a proper bowler nor a batsman but still managed to play international cricket for more than 20 years because of lobbying in media & creating his brand value specially after 2003 WC. His contribution to Pakistan cricket considering the matches he had played & the freedom he was given is nothing but no doubt yes as you said he won 2 games in 2009 WC. Yes he took 395 ODI wickets but 75% of those wickets were random wickets without much impact, he was never a frontline spinner in his career except in 2011 WC. Yes he won 32 MOM in ODI with his own performance but in his rest of the matches his performance was almost negligible. It's not possible to explain these things to his fans
Spot on. Afridi only cared about one person and that was Afridi. If you think about it, he was the most selfish player in the team. Because rather than trying to win the match he would always try to go for the glory shot and try to be the hero, regardless of the situation of the match. And don't even get me started on his egostistical off field antics that you refrenced. What's remarkable is that he has created this fake perception among fans that he was an aggressive, hard-hitting batter just because he delivered in 3/100 pressure situations with the bat. In reality his batting numbers were tailenderesque and his game awareness was even worse than that of a tailender. I mean how freaking dumb do you even have to be to take a bite out of a cricket ball infront of dozens of live TV cameras during an international cricket match!?

Only in Pakistan can a player like Afridi become one of the biggest and most marketable stars. In any other country in the world he would have either been booted decades ago, or the board would have accepted any one of the 90 retirements he took and moved on.

Babar is not a marketable face or personality. He's just someone who has scored lots of runs and gained acclaim. That tends to bring respect and popularity along with it.

No one on the team has the IT factor.

Maybe Naseem if he was performing better, which again proves the point of needing to do your job properly first.

If marketability is a criteria for inclusion in a Pakistan national team, then maybe PCB should go for a team made up of actors! Ramiz has totally lost it.
Ramiz himself was the most unmarketable star during his day. A completely boring and mediocre opener with zero personality and a creepy moustache. Which is funny because his brother Wasim was the exact opposite. He was the first true rockstar of Pakistan Cricket and a player who was decades ahead of his time in every regard.

Ramiz himself was the most unmarketable star during his day. A completely boring and mediocre opener with zero personality and a creepy moustache. Which is funny because his brother Wasim was the exact opposite. He was the first true rockstar of Pakistan Cricket and a player who was decades ahead of his time in every regard.
Wasim Raja would have been a player for this age. He could hit a very long ball

Nothing to do with social media marketing and more to do what he does for you. Inds felt more pained at Tendulkar losing his wicket than losing the match in the 90s.
There’s nothing good about that, and nothing to be proud about. India have only started to be world beaters since they got out of that small minded mentality.

And honestly, I’m one of Tendulkar’s biggest critics, but babar please - is not on that level, not even close. He will end his career lower down the pecking order than the likes of Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq in tests.

Wasim Raja would have been a player for this age. He could hit a very long ball
Wasim Raja was just a different breed. Pakistan can't produce players like that anymore. It was one thing to be an attacking player during that time, it was a completely different thing to dominate a bowling attack comprising of Andy Roberts, Joel Garner and Colin Croft...in their own backyard. He would have been a proper rockstar today with his personality, charisma and style of approaching the game.

The closest marketable cricketer Pakistan has at an international level is probably Naseem Shah.

To be marketable you have to get in young, perform, have the looks, be fit, and above all have discipline. Pakistani players just look to shabbi, have zero performances, are unfit beyond belief, and make their own rules as they go along - but perfect for the domestic market!

There’s nothing good about that, and nothing to be proud about. India have only started to be world beaters since they got out of that small minded mentality.

And honestly, I’m one of Tendulkar’s biggest critics, but babar please - is not on that level, not even close. He will end his career lower down the pecking order than the likes of Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq in tests.
I think you miss the point. But never mind

The closest marketable cricketer Pakistan has at an international level is probably Naseem Shah.

To be marketable you have to get in young, perform, have the looks, be fit, and above all have discipline. Pakistani players just look to shabbi, have zero performances, are unfit beyond belief, and make their own rules as they go along - but perfect for the domestic market!
Naseem is going the portly route by the looks of it. I had high hopes for him, but if he’s just interested in self preservation and bowling within himself in the 130s, he will never make it. He should forget about preserving his body for a long career. He’s too short to be a simple “right areas” guy.

It’s better to be shooting star for 5 years than being mediocre for a 15 year span.

Naseem is going the portly route by the looks of it. I had high hopes for him, but if he’s just interested in self preservation and bowling within himself in the 130s, he will never make it. He should forget about preserving his body for a long career. He’s too short to be a simple “right areas” guy.

It’s better to be shooting star for 5 years than being mediocre for a 15 year span.
I don't think we should be saying this considering we haven't produced a single fast-bowler after Wasim or Waqar who has even been able to take 200 test wickets. Pakistan would be lucky to find a fast-bowler that can last 10 years, let alone 15.

I pointed the weight issue a few months back and suddenly everyone is now seeing it. I agree with the gist of your post

I don't think we should be saying this considering we haven't produced a single fast-bowler after Wasim or Waqar who has even been able to take 200 test wickets. Pakistan would be lucky to find a fast-bowler that can last 10 years, let alone 15.
Honestly - really honestly. Pakistan have never been about stats - this is what differentiated us from India. We should stop this obsession with a 200 wicket bowler and look to churn out world class bowler after world class bowler. The result is the same for the team if not for the individual.

And what has all this preservation done for our team? Our so called fast bowlers are always injured anyway.

People talk about Waqar Younis being the last bowler. He’s not known for his last 150 wickets. He is famous for his peak years. Which incidentally also gave him enough experience to do a workmanlike job beyond his peak years too.

Bottom line is most people will take anyone in the ream over that daramaybaaz toxic saya agent rizwan
Tbh bro, most people here won’t. They have a severe difficulty in understanding what is right and wrong for their country. It’s not as bad as it was 4 years ago when Rizwan was being protected at all costs, but it’s still as if there is a belief that he is something extraordinary, and a continuous denial of his flaws and issues, both as a cricketer and as a politician in the game.

Pakistanis are now learning the hard way. This is their destiny.

The problem is the lack of understanding of what is required from the top.

There is a core of batters to work with but identifying their formats and batting positions is key.

We need a bowling attack of pace and swing and spinners that turn the ball.

This stupid mindset of bowlers needing to bowl 20 - 25 overs in a day like a bowling machine needs to stop.

The conditioning of the mind should be wickets in every 3 to 5 over spell for the quicks.

look for swing and movement with the new ball,

Followed by Yorkers , bouncers and slower balls depending on pitch and conditions.

One wonders how Rameez Raja made a career as a so called expert in the com box. He has no clue about cricket and how the game should be played. Babar is nothing special and average at best. Rameez hyping him is another example of how clueless he is.

One wonders how Rameez Raja made a career as a so called expert in the com box. He has no clue about cricket and how the game should be played. Babar is nothing special and average at best. Rameez hyping him is another example of how clueless he is.
He has an MBA and is friends with Imran Khan

I would really love to hear What is the definition of a “marketable force” according to Ramiz
Someone that public loves. In our history we have had only 3- IK, S Afridi and Babar. You could make a case for Shoaib Akhtar but these guys emptied the bar as they say in England

Someone that public loves. In our history we have had only 3- IK, S Afridi and Babar. You could make a case for Shoaib Akhtar but these guys emptied the bar as they say in England
Babar Azam is nothing like Imran Khan in terms of marketable personality based on cricket skills, looks or charisma. I can understand Akthar or Afridi but Babar, really?

Now Virat Kohli is no Greek god himself but along with his on field accomplishments, he has the personality and charisma the way he interacts with media and others.

Not making it a comparison.

In fact Rizwan is more marketable. He appeals to the religious crowd, is a performer and has a sharp wit and charisma and seems like a charismatic personality.

Babar Azam is nothing like Imran Khan in terms of marketable personality based on cricket skills, looks or charisma. I can understand Akthar or Afridi but Babar, really?

Babar is the same guy who said in a presser “I am upset” when asked about an upset caused by USA. He is on the same level as Imran Khan and Afridi apparently

In fact Rizwan is more marketable. He appeals to the religious crowd, is a performer and has a sharp wit and charisma and seems like a charismatic personality
Can you explain his sharp wit? Ya tou win hai ya tou learn hai?

Or the fact that he’s been pulled from doing press conferences by the PCB since last year?

Now Virat Kohli is no Greek god himself but along with his on field accomplishments, he has the personality and charisma the way he interacts with media and others.

Not making it a comparison.

In fact Rizwan is more marketable. He appeals to the religious crowd, is a performer and has a sharp wit and charisma and seems like a charismatic personality.
In the digital media age, people love him. IK was a phenomenon in his own day( cricketing) but obviously the reach was much smaller at that time. I agree about Charisma but if people go for it then sometimes it's difficult to understand that buy it.

Or the fact that he’s been pulled from doing press conferences by the PCB since last year?
Sometimes cramps sometimes acting and other stuff he said, people trolled him and mock him but if some guy had said that in a cool English accent, we all would be praising his sharp wit. From the press conferences I saw he can handle questions pretty well. In fact his chill press conferences reminds me of Rohit Sharma’s press conferences. Very relaxed and fun environment with journalists.

Honestly - really honestly. Pakistan have never been about stats - this is what differentiated us from India. We should stop this obsession with a 200 wicket bowler and look to churn out world class bowler after world class bowler. The result is the same for the team if not for the individual.

And what has all this preservation done for our team? Our so called fast bowlers are always injured anyway.

People talk about Waqar Younis being the last bowler. He’s not known for his last 150 wickets. He is famous for his peak years. Which incidentally also gave him enough experience to do a workmanlike job beyond his peak years too.
If we are being honest, then tell me how many fast-bowlers have we produced since Wasim and Waqar that have actually managed to be match-winners for us for a sustained period of time? Other than Shoaib Akhtar no name comes to mind. I think in the past we have been too obsessed with pace or individual characteristics of bowlers. When the reality is that having guys who can consistently score runs and consistently take wickets is what wins you matches. Ishant Sharma has probably won more matches than any Pakistani fast-bowler in the last decade. Our bowling culture is a reflection of our system and that is why we are here today.

Even on his last legs Waqar was 50x the bowler that any of these guys are. Even when his pace dropped he had the brains and the skills to take wickets. His peak also happens to be one of the greatest peaks that any fast-bowler has ever had. How many bowlers take 190 wickets by the age of 18? It was always going to be impossible to reach those heights again after injury.

Wasim Raja was just a different breed. Pakistan can't produce players like that anymore. It was one thing to be an attacking player during that time, it was a completely different thing to dominate a bowling attack comprising of Andy Roberts, Joel Garner and Colin Croft...in their own backyard. He would have been a proper rockstar today with his personality, charisma and style of approaching the game.
Totally right.
Whilst Ramiz is an incredibly mediocre commentator and average player, Wasim was extremely talented.

I remember seeing him in the World Cup in 75 and he was special — hard hitting left hander.
Scored a run a ball 50 in the game against the West Indies
Though he broke my heart in that game, when Majid messed up the bowling order and Wasim ended up bowling the last over (his first in the match) and West Indies scraped home (I remember this match even today — the WI last wicket put on 70 odd to win).

Sometimes cramps sometimes acting and other stuff he said, people trolled him and mock him but if some guy had said that in a cool English accent, we all would be praising his sharp wit. From the press conferences I saw he can handle questions pretty well. In fact his chill press conferences reminds me of Rohit Sharma’s press conferences. Very relaxed and fun environment with journalists.
I quite enjoyed Rizwan's antics in that match. Whether you think it was right for him to do that or not, you have to credit him for his game awareness to just give himself some time to take a breather because from what I recall, he was cramping. Personally, I think cricket is more fun with these kind of antics.

Totally right.
Whilst Ramiz is an incredibly mediocre commentator and average player, Wasim was extremely talented.

I remember seeing him in the World Cup in 75 and he was special — hard hitting left hander.
Scored a run a ball 50 in the game against the West Indies
Though he broke my heart in that game, when Majid messed up the bowling order and Wasim ended up bowling the last over (his first in the match) and West Indies scraped home (I remember this match even today — the WI last wicket put on 70 odd to win).
Well then you are one of the lucky ones. Some of us can only read about his exploits or how great he was.

The first great Pakistan World Cup heartbreak. Seems you have experienced your fair share of cricketing heartbreaks my friend, if you are still following that is. I used to think I had experienced some but I have a whole new perspective now.

Babar doesn’t have fans, people like you only like him because imran khan had asked ramiz raja to appoint him as captain and give him full authority.

Had babar azam been selected by nawaz sharif as captain you would be the first one shouting on top of your lungs to drop babar azam

Therefore babar don't have market value all his support isn't because of babar himself but due to political reason
Wait what?

I argue alot with bewal in the timepass on politics, but @Bewal Express opinion on cricketers has nothing to do with politicians. Guy coaches his own son and reads the game well.

Babar Azam was a prodigy since 2010, and those of us who have been here on this forum, have heard of Babars name since 2010. Everyone knew this kid was coming and look out for him. He got his debut during Nawaz Sharifs govt

No one is even discussing his captaincy here, even Bewal admits his captaincy was bad.

Like it or not, people in Pakistan love babar azam. Cricketers in club are crazy after him. I remember when the same cricketers use to look up to Kohli, rohit sharma and a few Bangaldeshi batters that were making a name for themselves during the 2014-2015 season.

Babar may not have a marketable personality, but he has become a big thing in Pakistan. They showed up at faisalabad just to watch him bat.

The fact a good batter is now look up to by fans is a good thing, instead of looking up to someone like afridi. You have to be a blind hater to have issues with people looking up to a Batsman that plays orthodox cricket.

You dont like him as a batsman, for whatever reasons, thats one thing. But to hate on him is just ridiculous. Yes he has a bad dip in form, but that doesnt make him a bad batsman.

Babar has certainly not been a non-performing player in the team. He has scored plenty of runs and centuries throughout his career. Yes, he’s currently out of form, and if he's been dropped due to that, it’s understandable. But to label him as a non-performing player is simply not accurate.

By non performing my reference was to these last few years. In tests in 2023 his average was 22.66, and in 2024 18.50.

Well then you are one of the lucky ones. Some of us can only read about his exploits or how great he was.

The first great Pakistan World Cup heartbreak. Seems you have experienced your fair share of cricketing heartbreaks my friend, if you are still following that is. I used to think I had experienced some but I have a whole new perspective now.
Watching over the decades there have been many heartbreaks :)
However, I would say I have never seen the degree of disarray and lack of hope as there is now….

Watching over the decades there have been many heartbreaks :)
However, I would say I have never seen the degree of disarray and lack of hope as there is now….
Coming from you that actually means something. And can't say I disagree with you, based on my own experiences.

If we are being honest, then tell me how many fast-bowlers have we produced since Wasim and Waqar that have actually managed to be match-winners for us for a sustained period of time? Other than Shoaib Akhtar no name comes to mind. I think in the past we have been too obsessed with pace or individual characteristics of bowlers. When the reality is that having guys who can consistently score runs and consistently take wickets is what wins you matches. Ishant Sharma has probably won more matches than any Pakistani fast-bowler in the last decade. Our bowling culture is a reflection of our system and that is why we are here today.

Even on his last legs Waqar was 50x the bowler that any of these guys are. Even when his pace dropped he had the brains and the skills to take wickets. His peak also happens to be one of the greatest peaks that any fast-bowler has ever had. How many bowlers take 190 wickets by the age of 18? It was always going to be impossible to reach those heights again after injury.
I don’t disagree with much of this. However, my point is since day one - since his debut there’s been constant talk about we need to look after Naseem, he needs to take it easy we need to ease him in. He went from being a bright prospect bowling consistently 140-148k on his debut to struggling to hit 135 within 18 months. Yes sporadically he’s had some periods of time exceeding 140-145, but I just get the feeling that he’s always holding back.

His main advantage when he made his debut was pace. He should have been encouraged to go flat out. But there’s always been a constant “look after your body”.

Workload management is one thing, but when you do play you should not be holding back.

I’m not concerned about 200 wickets, I’m saying we should forget that and make sure whoever is playing is firing and not just trying to get by.

I think Rizwan was referring to you

Ramiz Raja also said this on the Skysports pre-match show:

"I think it was a knee-jerk reaction [by the] new selectors. The general opinion was that he needed rest and he was taken out of the squad completely."

"We need to understand that he sells cricket for Pakistan. There's always this debate that is happening right now in Pakistan - whether there's going to be another failure for Babar Azam or whether he's going to make a comeback. And that keeps things interesting."

"Right now, I don't see any sellable commodity in this Pakistan team ... sponsors are a little wary as well because a) Pakistan have been on the losing sequence and b) There are no real superstars playing in this Test match now."
I agree with this one from Ramiz. Babar is a crowd-puller. Since Shahid Afridi, there is no one in the Pakistan cricket team who people follow ad come to watch.

I agree with this one from Ramiz. Babar is a crowd-puller. Since Shahid Afridi, there is no one in the Pakistan cricket team who people follow ad come to watch.
As if your stadiums were already full of people who wanted to watch Babar play in a test match!
What draws people to a match is success - if your team is doing well, people will come to watch it. Babar, the phenomenon was only a product of his amazing past performances. If tomorrow Kamran Ghulam starts performing well & the team starts winning, nobody will care much about Babar Azam.

I think Rizwan was referring to you
What even is your issue with KG?

I'm gonna debunk everything you lot complied

Babar is a goat, we've heard about him since 2010, he's just going through a rough patch.

No he isn't. 2 years is not a rough patch, and he doesnt even play red ball to begin with and it clearly shows as vividly as his pot belly. Analyse babar's technique and you'll realise its far far worse then KG. Babar is only more marketable but sadly marketing will not help you win a sports contest.

All that matters is the scorecard and I saw a debutant score 118, he deserves to replace Babar. If bobby has an issue, he can top the charts in domestic and come back. It's not like he has to worry too much, he can focus on replacing Shan.

I've seen kamran Ghulam have a dodgy technique against pace.

Yes and ive seen babar play spin as if hes trying to solve the black hole theory and rizwan play on the offside as if he's batting left handed.

Isn’t it telling that as soon as Babar gets dropped, PCB decides to get 3 spinners in the team & make a spinning pitch for the visitors. Doesn’t that prove what we always knew - that they were making those highway pitches for Babar because he always had huge issues against spin?

Ramiz comments are not reflected in reality. The PCB is struggling to sell the teams international and domestic broadcast rights, they had to sell them for a loss for the next 2-3 years even though Pakistan is hosting high profile teams at home including the CT. Crowds don't come therefore how is Babar a big brand? Please don't confuse Saya Corporation engineered social media activity with reality.

Ramiz comments are not reflected in reality. The PCB is struggling to sell the teams international and domestic broadcast rights, they had to sell them for a loss for the next 2-3 years even though Pakistan is hosting high profile teams at home including the CT. Crowds don't come therefore how is Babar a big brand? Please don't confuse Saya Corporation engineered social media activity with reality.

Might be a noob question, but who exactly are Saya Corporation? What do they do outside of cricket?

Spot on. Pakistan cricket needs consistency in team's overall performance, frequent victories & competitiveness against big teams to attract big crowd. Ramiz's focus is only on few individuals and making them superheroes and saviors of Pakistan cricket.
Why would the crowd come to support you when your team is losing against ZIM, BAG, AFG, USA in big events and fake starts are literally surrendering against big teams in every other game?

Back