"The head coach and captain were forced to pick Shan Masood for the ODI vs New Zealand": Ramiz Raja

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
"The head coach and captain were forced to pick Shan Masood for the ODI vs New Zealand": Ramiz Raja

Former Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Ramiz Raja slams the newly constructed management committee led by Najam Sethi for over-controlling players' stance.

During live interaction with cricket fans, Ramiz Raja puts a dot on the matter of putting pressure on players applied by PCB.

"They apply pressure on other players like this as if what we say, he has to do it at any cost," said Ramiz.

Former PCB chairman also confirmed through his sources some insides about the appointment of vice-captain of the Pakistan ODI team.

"The head coach of Pakistan received multiple calls when vice-captain Shan Masood was benched for two matches against New Zealand. The head coach and captain were forced to make Shan Masood play," said Ramiz.

Ramiz Raja also claimed that PCB was trying to justify their decision to appoint Shan Masood as vice-captain by putting pressure on the captain and head coach.

"We have a chairman now who has no background related to cricket; he only comes, attends the meeting, clicks some photos post on Twitter, and lastly hands over ICC trophies to Babar, that's it," said Ramiz.

Reminder for all is that Shan Masood was appointed vice-captain of the ODI team before the New Zealand series, and PCB management committee head Najam Sethi single-handedly took the decision.

CricketPak

Says the guy who forced Mohammad Harris......

Lol they are all the same.

Who was making these calls? Raja needs to come out and say it instead of spreading vitriol

Who was making these calls? Raja needs to come out and say it instead of spreading vitriol

Seems Saqlain etc have told Ramiz.

Can't imagine anyone else saying that.

Obviously it was his baby boy Babar who told him this. Crying about how he no longer gets his way

I think one point is fair.

Pakistan should appoint a director of cricket position who is indeed a cricketer or professional coach going into the future, and the director gets the sign off by the Chairman for his cricket decisions. That way Ramiz can no longer cry about cricketer+chairman nonsense

Cricket has to managed by professional administrators, not talented cricketers

Shocking revelations. Babar, Saqlain and Sethi should come out and deny.

I believe amongst all cricket boards PCB is most unprofessional and have always failed to keep it's internal affairs private because of some moles present in it's organisation. It was during Ramiz' chairmanship when Shan Masood was selected for Eng T20 series and the series played thereafter. I don't understand who leaks these kind of information to media & former players and what pleasure these former players gets by giving such statements in public. Ramiz got his chance to fix issues in PCB but he failed and now he is crying on PCBs decisions almost every day. Same is the case with Misbah who was the chief selector and head coach concurrently and he also failed miserably

With Shan Masood being THE WORST batsman we have produced, who gets appointment as the VC, a minor use of basic common sense tells us that he is a parchi. And a big one.

With Shan Masood being THE WORST batsman we have produced, who gets appointment as the VC, a minor use of basic common sense tells us that he is a parchi. And a big one.

Fawad Alam was far worse. Masood will end up averaging 40ish and brings a lot to the team.

Fawad Alam was far worse. Masood will end up averaging 40ish and brings a lot to the team.

They both have played least than 20 tests and you can see a difference in stats one being rubbish and the other one being okay.

Shan Masood may not be the greatest but its terrible the way he's been named checked and hung out to dry. Disgraceful and very unprofessional behaviour towards an active player.

Shan Masood may not be the greatest but its terrible the way he's been named checked and hung out to dry. Disgraceful and very unprofessional behaviour towards an active player.

Truth must be exposed and it should prevail.

Take Ramiz to court for defamation if he is lying, or kick out the ultra parchi out of the team - but then again, who is gonna do it? The entire PCB setup is 100% based on parchi.

Imam was injured for the final ODI therefore the logical replacement was Shan Masood. Ramiz unprofessional conduct and rants is there for everyone to see. Everyone knows full well as chairman he had strong likes, dislikes and had influenced selectors to block out Sarfaraz Ahmed. He even lobbied with Quetta Gladiators to let him go but Nadeem Omar gave him a shut up call that you are no one to dictate to us on how to run our affairs.

PCB's dirty laundry is perpetually being aired in public. Grown-up men always ready to gossip.

:afridi

Not good if accurate.

However this has been going on for a very long time in Pakistan cricket.

How can you blame any skipper if there are players in the side who have been forced into the starting XI and whom he doesn't want in the side.

Very poor by Ramiz - he tries to exude this professional, educated image, but he is acting like a little kid at best and an angry auntie at worst

But I'm sure similar things probably happened during Ramiz Raja's tenure as Chairman.

But I'm sure similar things probably happened during Ramiz Raja's tenure as Chairman.

Abdullah Shafique was fastracked by Ramiz into Central Punjab as an opener for the first XI whilst Umar Akmal was relegated to 2nd team cricket

Ramiz has done crooked politics himself

Former Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Ramiz Raja slams the newly constructed management committee led by Najam Sethi for over-controlling players' stance.

During live interaction with cricket fans, Ramiz Raja puts a dot on the matter of putting pressure on players applied by PCB.

"They apply pressure on other players like this as if what we say, he has to do it at any cost," said Ramiz.

Former PCB chairman also confirmed through his sources some insides about the appointment of vice-captain of the Pakistan ODI team.

"The head coach of Pakistan received multiple calls when vice-captain Shan Masood was benched for two matches against New Zealand. The head coach and captain were forced to make Shan Masood play," said Ramiz.

Ramiz Raja also claimed that PCB was trying to justify their decision to appoint Shan Masood as vice-captain by putting pressure on the captain and head coach.

"We have a chairman now who has no background related to cricket; he only comes, attends the meeting, clicks some photos post on Twitter, and lastly hands over ICC trophies to Babar, that's it," said Ramiz.

Reminder for all is that Shan Masood was appointed vice-captain of the ODI team before the New Zealand series, and PCB management committee head Najam Sethi single-handedly took the decision.

CricketPak

Shan Masood shouldn't have played 28 test matches (as batsman) with an average of 28. Such poor performance is unprecedented in history of Pakistan Cricket. Performances in county cricket does not make up for it. We have players like Kamran Ghulam with 45+ average in Domestic sitting on bench, players who never get the honor of playing for Pakistan and others who are discarded after one or two bad innings.
It is time to tell the truth about Shan. Why him? or does being a son of a PCB Board governor has anything to do with it.

Last edited:
Many will disagree and I don’t blame you but I think Shan best format is Odi, should keep him away from other formats. I think he has the ability to score at a run a ball and be fluent at it when in form. Problem is can he bring the domestic form to internationals and regards the parchi thing, whether he has backing or not u don’t expect him to say don’t select me because top brass selected me.

Ramiz is just acting out now. Has totally lost it. Should have known the post was temporary and now he just can't accept it. Should have put some good thought before taking such a politicized post.

Not sure whts the big deal... the newly appointed Chair already said that "friendship and giving favors is part of our culture" lol

this is always the case in pak cricket, nothing surprising:ua

Not sure whts the big deal... the newly appointed Chair already said that "friendship and giving favors is part of our culture" lol

this is always the case in pak cricket, nothing surprising:ua

Yep. These are just corrupt people to the core.

Lack of talent is not the issue of the nation, but lack of honesty, sure is.

Abdullah Shafique was fastracked by Ramiz into Central Punjab as an opener for the first XI whilst Umar Akmal was relegated to 2nd team cricket

Ramiz has done crooked politics himself

lol what? That looks & is an amazing decision considering how good Abdullah has been and how garbage Akmal has been. IIRC, Akmal was also coming off a suspension and is still extremely out of shape while being mediocre at the same time.

So many T20 leagues around the world pick up old, retired & out of shape cricketers but not Akmal. Why? Because he sucks.

lol what? That looks & is an amazing decision considering how good Abdullah has been and how garbage Akmal has been. IIRC, Akmal was also coming off a suspension and is still extremely out of shape while being mediocre at the same time.

So many T20 leagues around the world pick up old, retired & out of shape cricketers but not Akmal. Why? Because he sucks.

An amazing decision to keep Umar out and Abdullah Shafique in for T20s

My word our fans are something else

Umar Akmal has some behaviour issues. He is not suitable as a team member in an international team.

I wonder just how many players have been picked over the years through nepotism.

I remember a former player telling me once that a guy was picked for a tour of England after his family gave the selectors and PCB a few 'favours'. The player in question didn't play any matches, but his family just wanted to tell their friends and relatives that their lad had toured England and for him to visit and enjoy the sights and sounds of England.

UA is an idiot who is overweight and has done nothing to justify being anywhere near the team, a team that reached the Final and SF of the T20 WC.

Shan was brought back to test cricket in recent Eng series when Azhar decided to retire. He was included in ODIs but again wasn't included in playing 11 straightaway, he played the 3rd ODI only. I totally agree that Shan hasn't performed well and selectors can discard him but no active player should be ridiculed in this way like Ramiz as ex PCB chairman is doing. Even Imam was called parchi when he came but he got better with time. Many Pakistani cricketers who are ranting nowadays got free ride / extended career in the past in international cricket due to lobbying in media, emotional blackmailing or may be political connections. Some examples:
Ramiz Raja: Played 57 tests and 198 ODIs with an average of 31.83 & 32
Younis Khan: Played 265 ODIs with an average of 31
Shahid Afridi: 398 ODIs
Shoaib Malik: 287 ODIs
Hafeez: 218 ODIs
Asad Shafiq: 60 ODIs & 10T20Is
Imran Farhat

Struggled badly today against LQ.

Just 19 off 20 balls.

Not much aggression and a poor opening stand with Rizwan.

Again,

Why is he playing cricket at this level? A bit too competitive.

Shan in the playing XI for the 1st ODI vs NZ...

he avgs 57 in list A, walks into the odi team

Normally I am a big believer in averages as it represents reliability and consistency (against all type of bowlers/wickets), but Shan averaged 57 when opening not when batting at 4 or 5. It's a totally different role.

So you're telling me Sethi, the celebrated political appointee (which Ramiz was criticised for by certain users) pushed for the inclusion of Masood and pressured the captain and coach?

Well colour me surprised :))

No wonder users like Mamoon wanted Sethi back. He's a puppet of the old regime and that's what they like.

I wonder just how many players have been picked over the years through nepotism.

I remember a former player telling me once that a guy was picked for a tour of England after his family gave the selectors and PCB a few 'favours'. The player in question didn't play any matches, but his family just wanted to tell their friends and relatives that their lad had toured England and for him to visit and enjoy the sights and sounds of England.

Probably an easy task to name a all time nepotism Pakistan 11.

Got out for 1 run from 12 deliveries...

What a great inclusion he's been. Fumbling in the field a couple of times and then scoring 1 run today.

He is not good enough - talent, skill and mentality wise - to succeed in international cricket. You can play him in all formats for 20 years and his numbers will always be mediocre.

I don't know why it is so difficult for people to accept this. It has been more than 10 years. Domestic averages do not matter if you are not good enough to make the transition from domestic cricket to international cricket.

There are many players with impressive domestic numbers who couldn't deliver in internationals. Masood is no different.

Not the best of starts to his ODI career for Shan.

Just 112 runs in 7 innings.

Scores of 40 19 2 0 50 0 1

My man looked like he couldn't even bat when he came out.

It shows you the difference between PSL and his domestic performance.

A good-to-decent player can maneuver the ball around. A poor player makes things look far too difficult.

Last edited:
Shaan is a decent, educated guy but the political machinations( father is a senior bureaucrat) to get him selected above his playing talent have badly hurt his career.

Imam took 1 game to prove his worth. Not like the guy who has avg less than his age in all formats.

There are 16 players who scored a century on ODI debut, does that mean every other ODI player failed and shouldn't ever be selected? Not trying to knock on Imam but Shan has the domestic record behind him to earn a run like Imam did.

Not going to deny that Shan did terrible today (he absolutely did), but if we want to reward selection based on merit then a guy averaging 55+ at a solid strike rate deserves an ODI run more than anyone

Shan didn’t play like someone who averages 57 in list A.How he managed such a high average is a mystery.

The question is can we afford to play a relatively slow batsman at 4? Shan doesn't have the talent Haris Sohail had where he could bat at a decent SR on any surface.

I don't see how Shan can support Babar in a troubling situation like Haris used to.

Confidence issues or is he not cut out for international cricket?

They are building the combination for WC , unfortunately Pak stuck with trying out a place for Shan in the 11.
He is not a middle order batsman.
He avgs 18 after so many games. His 57 avg in list A was as an opener, Pak ODI top3 is well settled.

Not going to deny that Shan did terrible today (he absolutely did), but if we want to reward selection based on merit then a guy averaging 55+ at a solid strike rate deserves an ODI run more than anyone

If he was batting for his domestic team and averages 40+ at the same position he batted today then yes but he doesn't vat in that position for his domestic team

He is not good enough - talent, skill and mentality wise - to succeed in international cricket. You can play him in all formats for 20 years and his numbers will always be mediocre.

I don't know why it is so difficult for people to accept this. It has been more than 10 years. Domestic averages do not matter if you are not good enough to make the transition from domestic cricket to international cricket.

There are many players with impressive domestic numbers who couldn't deliver in internationals. Masood is no different.

domestic avgs dont lie. Unless its international cricket pressure, if the guy avgs 57 in list a, he is in the team on merit. Domestic cricket does matter, its the basis on which you play international

Mickey chacha will make sure Shaan is around. No hate but he doesn't seem cut out for Middle Order role specially when we got two left handers at the top. Honestly, makes our batting line up look so monotonous and boring. Get Iftikhar Ahmed instead of him and at least he will be better than this guy.

Must be so awkward for Shan to share dressing up room with his team mates where majority of them might be holding a common opinion about him.

domestic avgs dont lie. Unless its international cricket pressure, if the guy avgs 57 in list a, he is in the team on merit. Domestic cricket does matter, its the basis on which you play international

When a player is a proven failure at international level like Masood, you have to disregard domestic averages. Domestic averages lose relevance once a player is tested in the international arena.

Masood is a joke of a batsman. He is always nervous, confused and there is nothing special about his game. He lacks power, he doesn’t play pace or spin particularly well. He has zero presence on the crease.

He will never average more than 30 in any format in international cricket. That is his maximum potential.

You have to give players with high domestic averages a chance but you have to accept that not all of these high averaging domestic players will replicate the success in international cricket.

Masood will never come anywhere near replicating his LA form in ODIs. Never. Unfortunately, PCB and a lot of the fans will never make peace with the reality that he is not good enough for this level unless someone better comes up with his family background and English skills.

When a player is a proven failure at international level like Masood, you have to disregard domestic averages. Domestic averages lose relevance once a player is tested in the international arena.

Masood is a joke of a batsman. He is always nervous, confused and there is nothing special about his game. He lacks power, he doesn’t play pace or spin particularly well. He has zero presence on the crease.

He will never average more than 30 in any format in international cricket. That is his maximum potential.

You have to give players with high domestic averages a chance but you have to accept that not all of these high averaging domestic players will replicate the success in international cricket.

Masood will never come anywhere near replicating his LA form in ODIs. Never. Unfortunately, PCB and a lot of the fans will never make peace with the reality that he is not good enough for this level unless someone better comes up with his family background and English skills.

he has barely played any one day games. He has played about 7 games of odis and thus i believe he still deserves an extended run. We bash him based on his test match performance where he was not good.

High avg players deserve an extended run, if he sucks after 15 odis, than surely drop him, but not yet on the basis of 7 games

he has barely played any one day games. He has played about 7 games of odis and thus i believe he still deserves an extended run. We bash him based on his test match performance where he was not good.

High avg players deserve an extended run, if he sucks after 15 odis, than surely drop him, but not yet on the basis of 7 games

He will suck after 70 matches just like he sucks after 7 games. It is inevitable. He has no chance of delivering.

But sure keep him in the team as the opposition’s 12th player. PCB will never accept that he is not international material but one can hope that Masood will have some self-respect and end his misery by retiring from international cricket.

Playing international cricket is beyond his talent.

Maaf karo bhai. He has been around for ages. He makes me miss Imran Farhat

Agreed, Shan the one day player and the test player are like two different players. We've seen it all too often of players who struggle in one format and excel in another. I never want to see Shan the test player ever again, but Shan the one day player with his unmatched domestic record? Yeah I give him 15 ODIs easy.

Back