[VIDEOS] Shan Masood as Pakistan Test captain performance watch

Unless you are Mike Brierley, these conditions hold
Mike Brearley was just lucky that he had a peak Ian Botham playing like a supernatural being that helped him finish on a high as a captain (he retired immediately after that epic 1981 series). But people forget how the same Brearley led his team to a catastrophic whitewash down under just a year and half earlier.

He is the most hyper overrated captain of all time.

The only away series he captained Eng to a win was the 78-79 Ashes when Eng played an Aus C or D team during the peak of Packer cricket.

Mike Brearley was just lucky that he had a peak Ian Botham playing like a supernatural being that helped him finish on a high as a captain (he retired immediately after that epic 1981 series). But people forget how the same Brearley led his team to a catastrophic whitewash down under just a year and half earlier.

He is the most hyper overrated captain of all time.

The only away series he captained Eng to a win was the 78-79 Ashes when Eng played an Aus C or D team during the peak of Packer cricket.
He was brought back to bring the best out of Botham and he did that and you also forget that Brierley had a reputation in county cricket way before that series. He was credited by Botham and Willis for the series win.

He was brought back to bring the best out of Botham and he did that and you also forget that Brierley had a reputation in county cricket way before that series. He was credited by Botham and Willis for the series win.
I know the story. But clearly Ian is being too generous to Brearley. It's not like everyone started playing like gods the moment Brearley was brought in that series. But more like Ian Botham becoming a God and singlehandedly saving England with both bat and ball. In all the 3 tests that Eng won under Brearley in that series, aside from Botham only a single proper Eng batter managed even a fifty (Tavare). And apart from the Leeds 2nd innings where Willis took an 8 for, there were hardly any match turning performances by other bowlers than Botham too.

I know the story. But clearly Ian is being too generous to Brearley. It's not like everyone started playing like gods the moment Brearley was brought in that series. But more like Ian Botham becoming a God and singlehandedly saving England with both bat and ball. In all the 3 tests that Eng won under Brearley in that series, aside from Botham only a single proper Eng batter managed even a fifty (Tavare). And apart from the Leeds 2nd innings where Willis took an 8 for, there were hardly any match turning performances by other bowlers than Botham too.
But he was brought in to take the pressure off Botham, who had started off as Captain and by Lords was a busted flush. Had Brearley not come in, England would have lost the Ashes

But he was brought in to take the pressure off Botham, who had started off as Captain and by Lords was a busted flush. Had Brearley not come in, England would have lost the Ashes
I understand. Removing Botham was the masterstroke , not bringing in Brearley. He wasted a spot in the batting order.

All those 3 tests were played on some result pitches and were literal dog fights. Man to man Aus did well vs Eng except for Botham factor abd Botham played like 3 or 4 players put together. Crazy one off series.

There is far more merit in calling Rahane a brilliant captain following the win in Australia with a team that was depleted than calling Brearley who benefited from a superhuman show by 1 player.

I understand. Removing Botham was the masterstroke , not bringing in Brearley. He wasted a spot in the batting order.

All those 3 tests were played on some result pitches and were literal dog fights. Man to man Aus did well vs Eng except for Botham factor abd Botham played like 3 or 4 players put together. Crazy one off series.

There is far more merit in calling Rahane a brilliant captain following the win in Australia with a team that was depleted than calling Brearley who benefited from a superhuman show by 1 player.
I disagree. I think no one in that England team( besides Brierley) had the personality at the point in time to get Botham back in track.

I disagree. I think no one in that England team( besides Brierley) had the personality at the point in time to get Botham back in track.
I wish power of personality would help a player have a 180 degree turn in their fortunes but it doesn't happen like that in a sport like cricket.

Anyway we digress from the core topic. So let's stop here

I wish power of personality would help a player have a 180 degree turn in their fortunes but it doesn't happen like that in a sport like cricket.

Anyway we digress from the core topic. So let's stop here
I disagree. IK turned PK into a solid and effective unit compared to the talented but mentally weak teams of the 70s. Ben Stokes is doing it front of our eyes.

cant really complain when your best batsmen Babar has averaged 21 in the last 2 years and abdullah shafiq averaging lower than shan masood

Even though he scored a brisk useless 50, yet he might fail to remove the stain on him being the 1st Pakistan captain to lose a series against Bangladesh

Even though he scored a brisk useless 50, yet he might fail to remove the stain on him being the 1st Pakistan captain to lose a series against Bangladesh
Assuming it doesn't rain on day 4 and 5, he'll get whitewashed by Bangladesh as well

As useless as Shan is, at least he is putting in better performances than “superstar” Babar Azam.

Shan played well but it was certainly not enough. 1 50 does not mean that he will keep on playing for next 20 matches without any performance.

I have just one question for our esteemed Shan Masood, known for his aggressive captaincy style.

In the opening Test match against Bangladesh, during the first innings, Pakistan opted for two new balls, meaning that our bowlers utilized three new balls in total. Despite this, not a single spell with any of these new balls was given to Khurram Shehzad.

Brainless captaincy or Shaheen and Naseem effect??

I have just one question for our esteemed Shan Masood, known for his aggressive captaincy style.

In the opening Test match against Bangladesh, during the first innings, Pakistan opted for two new balls, meaning that our bowlers utilized three new balls in total. Despite this, not a single spell with any of these new balls was given to Khurram Shehzad.

Brainless captaincy or Shaheen and Naseem effect??
Both, Shan and Shaheen are from the same group

The captaincy has been up and down on this tour.

I think the pitch plays a huge role. If Shan is not getting the pitch he wants then there is very little he can do to exploit any sort of advantage he makes.

Even if Pakistan loses this series. I still believe Shan should be persisted with. He is one of the better brains we have in Pakistan team.

So it is nexus nexus everywhere
When did I say that? You already know who the members are.

1) Rizwan (Leader)

2) Babar (defacto leader)

3) Shan (English Shakespeare leader)

4) Shadab

5) Shaheen (The backstabbed member)

6) Chacha (The misbah, then Babar and now Shan bootlicker)

7) Abdullah shafiq( The one who got fast tracked by bobby due to technique love affair)

8) Naqvi, Waqar, Misbah and whoever else comes and goes like wahab riaz and what not

Former members include

1) Imam ul haq (He got booted out ever since he made the chacha and haris claim in Twitter)

2) Hasan Ali

3) Muhammad Nawaz

4) Usama Mir

When did I say that? You already know who the members are.

1) Rizwan (Leader)

2) Babar (defacto leader)

3) Shan (English Shakespeare leader)

4) Shadab

5) Shaheen (The backstabbed member)

6) Chacha (The misbah, then Babar and now Shan bootlicker)

7) Abdullah shafiq( The one who got fast tracked by bobby due to technique love affair)

8) Naqvi, Waqar, Misbah and whoever else comes and goes like wahab riaz and what not

Former members include

1) Imam ul haq (He got booted out ever since he made the chacha and haris claim in Twitter)

2) Hasan Ali

3) Muhammad Nawaz

4) Usama Mir

And Shan and Shaheen is another group called nexus 2.0?

Shan and Shaheen are members that I've listed bhai?

Theirs no such thing as nexus 2.0, it's nexus vs Pakistan.
So far, it is all about Shan's Captaincy. He is no Dhoni or pointing. He is probably the worst guy out there who does not even deserve a chance in team and he is made captain.

So far, it is all about Shan's Captaincy. He is no Dhoni or pointing. He is probably the worst guy out there who does not even deserve a chance in team and he is made captain.
I'm am a very happy man that you are finally seeing the light elder brother.

You have finally come to see why Shan the member of the nexus is useless and why shaheen another member of the nexus is useless.

All that's left is to convince you of the rest, especially the leader rizwan.

I'm am a very happy man that you are finally seeing the light elder brother.

You have finally come to see why Shan the member of the nexus is useless and why shaheen another member of the nexus is useless.

All that's left is to convince you of the rest, especially the leader rizwan.
I judge players based on performance brother...no personal grudge.
Shan needs to go.

I judge players based on performance brother...no personal grudge.
Shan needs to go.
People who were claiming Shan can be mike breadley had no clue what they were talking about.

Mike restored the confidence of Ian Botham after the dude was low on form. If Shan was similar then you'd see Babar and shaheen back to their 2019 selves. The dude was gun when it came to discipline.

He literally created a management structure that is still being used by England today in test. He was more of a coach, manager and ecb selector then a player.

Shan seems to have further crumbled the team and put it at an even worse position lol.

Drop him and move on.

Huraira comes in for him.

Either give captaincy to Rizwan or Saud.

The management is thinking what next with Shan. Can't let him go due to English mastery.

Drop him from test team and make skipper for ODI and T20Is. This is coming next.

Pretty poor captaincy today by Shan.

Continuously bowled Shahzad despite knowing the new ball is round the corner.

Hasn't bowled Agha or Saim either. Agha just bowled 3 overs and that's it.

With 1 bowler down, he should've been more proactive especially when you're 1 bowler down and then the other 2 are fresh for when the new ball is due.

This will bring instability, let him finish this 9 test matches assignment
Dropping a 34 yr old with no future will not bring instability.

Let the new captain take over and learn rather than wasting time on him.

It also solidifies the batting because he is definitely not better than Huraira or Ghulam.

Poor captain. Doesn't deserve his place let alone captaincy. That is sure to demotivate senior players

I think his captaincy is done. His captaincy isn’t amazing, though still probably better than babar. But you can see there’s no respect. We needed him to do what Misbah did as test captain come in and instantly perform. Instead it just reminds me of someone trying to look positive and batting till the clock runs out for him rather than going for the high score.

Don’t think Saud is going to command respect either, he’s still too new to the team and only cemented his place in tests.

Has to be a performing captain with experience. I think Rizwan is the only real choice now.

I think his captaincy is done. His captaincy isn’t amazing, though still probably better than babar. But you can see there’s no respect. We needed him to do what Misbah did as test captain come in and instantly perform. Instead it just reminds me of someone trying to look positive and batting till the clock runs out for him rather than going for the high score.

Don’t think Saud is going to command respect either, he’s still too new to the team and only cemented his place in tests.

Has to be a performing captain with experience. I think Rizwan is the only real choice now.

Plus Rizwan himself is a very selfish player as we have seen many times with his slow T20 knocks, playing pathetic shots under pressure when the match is in the balance, when he bat's with the tail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rizwan belonging from kpk is a non starter. The Pakistani establishment has apparently given instructions to the PCB to reduce the influence of pashtuns in the team.

Plus Rizwan himself is a very selfish player as we have seen many times with his slow T20 knocks, playing pathetic shots under pressure when the match is in the balance, when he bat's with the tail.
You need three things as a captain. Lead from the front, captaincy experience/skill and have solidified your place (which usually means you’ve stuck your place for a few years). There’s only one name that you can even choose for these things. Whether people are fans of this guy or not. We’ve tried other options like Masood, Shaheen briefly, giving back to Babar both options not even filling these three criteria. And it hasn’t worked. We’ve overlooked the guy who ticks the main boxes due to fan divides and other reasons. Was worth a try honestly, I’d rather have a captain who unites fans but at some point I think we have to realise it’s not working. Our main batsman in Babar is out of form too and still clinging to captaincy, it’s a terrible situation he needs to leave it to rediscover form.

A lot of people will want Saud, but it’s just too few matches. One cemented format and only from 12 tests now? That is practically nothing. His ODI career isn’t exactly a lot of games and doesn’t speak in his favour. Look how Abdullah is after 18 tests, started off strong and now gone off. You don’t want the same situation with Saud.

It’s a better option in my opinion to give the captaincy to Rizwan. If it doesn’t work out, hopefully Saud will keep performing and start performing in ODIs too, and then be in a position to take over. I don’t think it’s a great idea to hand Saud this mess just when his career is developing.

His captaincy this series has been very ordinary.

In the first test he allowed Bangladesh to recover from 200/5 to 565 all out, the last 5 wickets added 365 runs.

This test match you have Bangladesh 26/6 and with a deficit of 248 runs and you allow them to recover to 262 all out.

He over bowled Abrar, under bowled Agha and did not bother trying Saud Shakeel and Saim Ayub with the ball.

Even worse he spread the field for Litton Das and allowed him to face 4-5 deliveries every over and only 1-2 deliveries were reserved for the tail ender.

Aamir Sohail and Bazid Khan were screaming in the commentary box ie you have to change the tactics, bring the field in for Litton Das from ball one, encourage him to hit out, he might make a mistake. The Commentators also highlighted Bangladesh opted for aggressive field placings for Rizwan, Agha and the Pakistani tail enders in comparison to the Pakistani captain.

This series loss is definitely an unrecoverable blemish for Shan Masood, his captaincy, approach and decision making has been well and truly exposed this series.

@topspin

Still a fan of his captaincy?

I gave up on Pakistan cricket after the defeats to USA and India during this year’s WT20.

Like you said during your peak years here, “Pakistan cricket is finished”.

You should now move on from representing Babar and instead carry out this function for a credible Pakistani such as Arshad Nadeem.

He is the only player who is showing an intent to win, give him the team that respects him and see how far he takes Pakistan. You can see Babar looks down on him and Shaheen also showed disrespect, you need to respect your capain and don't treat him like a ballboy. Bold decision by PCB by dropping Shaheen and Naseem, dropping Babar and teaching him a lesson will be good.

Shan Masood looked set but gave it away, scoring only 28 off 34 in 2nd Innings against Bangladesh in 2nd Test. Maybe he needs to calm down. He is always trying to play fast in Test cricket, due to which he loses his wicket early. I noticed it too during his Yorkshire stint.

He is the only player who is showing an intent to win, give him the team that respects him and see how far he takes Pakistan. You can see Babar looks down on him and Shaheen also showed disrespect, you need to respect your capain and don't treat him like a ballboy. Bold decision by PCB by dropping Shaheen and Naseem, dropping Babar and teaching him a lesson will be good.
That’s great but he isn’t international material

I gave up on Pakistan cricket after the defeats to USA and India during this year’s WT20.

Like you said during your peak years here, “Pakistan cricket is finished”.

You should now move on from representing Babar and instead carry out this function for a credible Pakistani such as Arshad Nadeem.
Watching Amir and Imad cost Pakistan vs USA and India after you talked about their mental resilience and composure must be painful, but that is no reason to give up on Pakistan cricket completely.

Pakistan do the basics wrong. For example, appointing a captain who averages 28 in Test cricket. If Pakistan can do the basics right, it will do OK, at least in Test cricket in home conditions.

Masood nightmare will be over soon and hopefully a respectable cricketer will replace him as captain.

Also, I appreciate your comments on Arshad Nadeem but I am not interested in an opportunist like him. Babar is great ambassador for Pakistan cricket and he will recover from this tough period. Every successful player has gone through such periods in his career. He isn’t the first and won’t be the last one.

Intent means nothing when you are not good enough. Shan Masood averages 28 in Test cricket after nearly 70 innings. It is clear as daylight that he is rubbish and has no business being in the team let alone wear the armband.

At the age of 34-35, he is in his prime. He is not going to get any better and if this is his output in his prime period, nothing more needs to be said about his credentials.

Watching Amir and Imad cost Pakistan vs USA and India after you talked about their mental resilience and composure must be painful, but that is no reason to give up on Pakistan cricket completely.

Pakistan do the basics wrong. For example, appointing a captain who averages 28 in Test cricket. If Pakistan can do the basics right, it will do OK, at least in Test cricket in home conditions.

Masood nightmare will be over soon and hopefully a respectable cricketer will replace him as captain.

Also, I appreciate your comments on Arshad Nadeem but I am not interested in an opportunist like him. Babar is great ambassador for Pakistan cricket and he will recover from this tough period. Every successful player has gone through such periods in his career. He isn’t the first and won’t be the last one.
Atleast Masood is playing according to his average. Babar has been an absolute embarrassment in this series and arguably Pakistan's worst batter when he should be the best. He hasn't put up a single score of note and had his technique sliced open by a guy who averages over 60 with the ball.

I also don't think anyone wants to see Babar's clueless and ultra defensive captaincy in one more format. We have had enough of that in the last four years. Where Pakistan are today has a great deal to do with how Babar has led this team in the past four years.

Shan Masood looked set but gave it away, scoring only 28 off 34 in 2nd Innings against Bangladesh in 2nd Test. Maybe he needs to calm down. He is always trying to play fast in Test cricket, due to which he loses his wicket early. I noticed it too during his Yorkshire stint.
He looked like the most set batsman but threw it away.

I said it before but Masood isn't an international level player, let alone a Test captain.

Certain users, we know who they and if you mention them thrice they'll appear, only wanted Masood as captain because he could speak English. And I'm not joking. :))

He seemed good in Australia and with Karachi on captaincy basis . But this series has been horror as captain and as batter

Masood will have to face the music. A series loss as captain especially in the test format against Bangladesh is unpardonable

The dude became captain in Pakistan’s worst era lol. His record is going to be ridiculously embarrassing

I wonder how all those shameless PCB officials and well connected individuals now feel after pushing for this fraud of a player to be captain.

This humiliation is deserved as nepotism deserves such results.

Don't worry guys Masood can explain in perfect "english" how he's the worst Pakistan captain in history of the game

Need to treat this like a project.

Nobody from the current team or outside the team is knocking down the doors to be captain.

This bunch and maybe another 8-9 players are all Gillespie has to work with.

He needs to be in a position to understand whether he as a coach can get these players to a point where he has imparted any coaching or strategy into them and milk them for all they are capable of.

Pakistan will need a long term rebuild. Gillespie has inherited a mentally shot side that doesn't trust it's own skills.

For Shan Gillespie needs to get him to the point where he thinks - is the guy capable of averaging 34-36 over the next two year period and playing as a captain while I tinker with the team elsewhere?

I think the answer to that question is yes.

He should stay as skipper for the remaining matches against England etc. At the very least just to take the heat off the next in line.

Forget about winning. Just focus on player development for the next cycle.

I will wait to hear Shan's interview after the match.

He speaks very good English and I am sure he will have a good explanation for our defeat.

Kamran Akmal Speaking during a TV show:

“They are making captains based on who can speak well. They don't consider whether he is captaincy material or not. I was rating Shan Masood because he has played everything: domestic, PSL, county cricket, and he was doing captaincy there. But when he came to the Test matches, internationally, the way he captained in those two Test matches; he doesn't seem like captain material to me.”

“Like we talked about Babar Azam, any captain should adapt according to the conditions, how to utilize the playing XI, field placements, and bowlers. We have been looking at those things, and there is no improvement in that. So, you should ask the coach or call the curators and ask them about the pitches. What's the fault of the ground staff? The fault is that we lack ability. We should be able to play well and dominate in our conditions.”

This thread is about Shan Masood and his captaincy. NOT ABOUT BABAR VS IMAD/ AMIR.

No irrelevant talk now

Basit Ali speaking during a TV show:

“The captain says in the press conference, "There was a nine-month gap in red ball." No one asked Shan Masood this question: 'Sir, you were playing county cricket, how can you say you haven't had practice with the red ball?' If Abdullah Shafique says it, it makes sense, but they (Mohammad Rizwan and Saud Shakeel) scored runs. Actually, we are playing a blame game, putting blame on bowling or batting. You are a team, you don't play as a unit, you are divided. Yesterday, at tea time, three players were going on one side, and two were going on one side. This is the Pakistan team, I feel sorry for them.”

“Now, I’ll also give you an inside story. When the captain was announced against Bangladesh, two or three players felt bad about why he was announced. The captain has to lead from the front. I’ll give you a small example: Today, a review was taken; the umpire said it was bat first, even though the umpire cannot say it, he waits, but Shan Masood took the review. What was that? Those who don’t know how to take a review are the captain of Pakistan.”​

Basit Ali speaking during a TV show:

“The captain says in the press conference, "There was a nine-month gap in red ball." No one asked Shan Masood this question: 'Sir, you were playing county cricket, how can you say you haven't had practice with the red ball?' If Abdullah Shafique says it, it makes sense, but they (Mohammad Rizwan and Saud Shakeel) scored runs. Actually, we are playing a blame game, putting blame on bowling or batting. You are a team, you don't play as a unit, you are divided. Yesterday, at tea time, three players were going on one side, and two were going on one side. This is the Pakistan team, I feel sorry for them.”

Now, I’ll also give you an inside story. When the captain was announced against Bangladesh, two or three players felt bad about why he was announced. The captain has to lead from the front. I’ll give you a small example: Today, a review was taken; the umpire said it was bat first, even though the umpire cannot say it, he waits, but Shan Masood took the review. What was that? Those who don’t know how to take a review are the captain of Pakistan.”​
I would like to know the names of those 2-3 greedy players who felt bad.

For that, you have to reach out to Basit Ali and he will let you know.
Seriously this captaincy mania & obsession has damaged Pakistan cricket a lot and no lesson learnt so far. Every random, ordinary cricketer in Pakistan dreams for captaincy more than performance and when they are made captain, they don't leave captaincy easily unless forced to leave

Back