The ICC U19 Men's Cricket World Cup 2024 discussion

Why can't this event take place once every 4 years like any normal World Cup?

Australia were champions for a year and now England will only have been champions for 18 months
You want U19 world cups to occur once in 4 years?

A rain-affected day three of the warm-up matches at the ICC U19 Men’s Cricket World Cup 2024 in South Africa saw three out of the four matches washed out.

The first two days of the warm-up games have thrown up some standout performers – South Africa’s Kwena Maphaka and Pakistan’s Ubaid Shah produced impressive performances, spinners Nathan Sealy and Mohammad Ghazanfar also shone, while India’s Uday Saharan and USA centurion Siddharth Kappa excelled with the bat.

More youngsters stood out on the third day of warm-up action. We round it up all up here.

Ireland vs Namibia

Toss: Ireland elect to bat

Result: No result

Ireland and Namibia were affected by another rain-hit game in their build-up to the U19 Men’s CWC.

Namibia had their first game against USA washed out, while Ireland lost to Zimbabwe by the DLS method on Sunday.

Today, Ireland opted to bat first against Namibia and the openers got off to a watchful start, putting up 22 in 5.2 overs, before rain interrupted proceedings. It never relented, and play was abandoned.

Nepal v West Indies

Toss: Nepal opt to bowl

Another rain-marred game at the Dlamini Oval had Nepal opting to bowl after winning the toss, with the impressive Gulshan Jha striking early with the ball early on.

However, with less than 10 overs bowled and the score at 33/1, rain interrupted proceedings and no further play was possible.

USA v Zimbabwe

Toss: USA opt to bowl

Result: Zimbabwe won by 12 runs (DLS Method)

USA were impressive after opting to bowl against Zimbabwe at the Tshwane University of Technology Oval in Pretoria.

Aaryan Batra and Arya Garg took out the openers early. Panashe Taruvinga, who had played a handy knock against Ireland on Sunday, stood firm at No.3 for a while, but USA kept striking at regular intervals.

Batra and Garg were the pick of the bowlers sharing five wickets between them. Skipper Matthew Schonken, who was impressive with the ball in the match against Ireland, contributed a valuable 29 from the lower order.

Zimbabwe made 136/9. In reply, USA put on a 34-run stand for the opening wicket and a further 26 for the next, but wickets fell in quick succession thereafter.

60/1 turned into 61/5 as Anesu Kamuriwo and Ryan Simbi, a late replacement in the squad, ran through the middle-order.
At 112/9, USA were going nowhere and despite a cameo from Siddarth Kappa, Zimbabwe won by 12 runs on the DLS method.

South Africa v Afghanistan

Toss: South Africa opt to bat

Opting to bat first at the Braam Fisherville Sports Complex in Johannesburg, South Africa were jolted by a spirited bowling performance from Afghanistan.

Familiar foes after their tussles in the recent tri-nations series in South Africa, Afghanistan’s bowlers proved too hot for the hosts.

Lhuan-dre Pretorius and Steve Stolk got to double digits, but couldn’t carry on. David Teeger played the anchor role from No.3 but the others fell around him as Afghanistan reduced the Proteas U19 side to 125/7 before rain interrupted play.

Leg-break bowler Khalil Ahmad was the pick of the Afghanistan bowlers, picking up three wickets.

Rain prevented further play at the venue, but Afghanistan, fresh off a significant win over England, once again showcased the threat they pose at the U19 Men’s CWC.

U19 World Cup Warm-ups: Bangladesh sound warning with win over Australia as touted England batter shines in the rain

The final day of the U19 Cricket World Cup warm-up matches saw India, New Zealand and Bangladesh notch victories.

As Bangladesh quick bowler Rohanat Doullah Borson stole the headlines with a hat-trick, there were several other impressive performers.

Here we round up the final day of warm-up action.

India v Sri Lanka

Result:
India win by seven wickets

Captain Uday Saharan once again made an impression with a second fifty in as many warm-up matches to help India chase down 209 against Sri Lanka in Pretoria.

Opting to bat first, Sri Lanka were propelled by Dinura Kalupahana’s half-century. Musheer Khan took three wickets as India restricted their neighbours to 208/9.

In reply, India lost their openers quickly, but Saharan combined with Musheer in a crucial partnership with both batters making fifties.

Further runs from the middle-order batters, who played a few balls each before being retired out, saw India cruise to an easy win.

New Zealand v Scotland

Result:
New Zealand win by 130 runs

An unbeaten century from skipper Oscar Jackson helped New Zealand to a sizeable win over Scotland at St Stithians Jameson Field 1.

Tom Jones and Snehith Reddy also chipped in, but Jackson stole the show with a 97-ball unbeaten 112, laced with eight fours and six sixes.

New Zealand made a huge total of 306/9 in 50 overs, and Scotland struggled to stitch together partnerships and no batter reacing 30. Ryan Tsourgas and Mason Clarke, the new ball bowlers, shared two wickets apiece while left-arm spinner Oliver Tewatiya also took two wickets.

Scotland were bowled out for 176 with New Zealand.

Australia v Bangladesh

Result:
Bangladesh win by five wickets

Bangladesh stunned Australia by five wickets with Rohanat Doullah Borson impressing with a four-wicket haul, including a hat-trick.

Opting to bat first, Australia lost Harry Dixon early, but contributions from the top four meant that they were in a good position at the halfway stage.

Things went downhill from there as fast bowler Borson and skipper and left-arm spinner Mahfuzur Rahman Rabby ran through the middle and lower orders.

From 137/3, Australia slipped to 149/9 as Borson took a hat-trick in the 34th over.

Some late hitting gave Australia a total of 165, but Bangladesh were too good with the bat as they sealed the game with five wickets to spare.

Chowdhury Md Rizwan was the star with the bat, remaining unbeaten on 53 off 59 balls in the run-chase.

England v Pakistan

Result:
England won by nine runs (DLS)

A fifty from England's Hamza Shaikh was the difference as England held onto a nine-run DLS win in another rain-affected match at the Braamfischerville Sports Complex.

Electing to bowl with the rain around, Pakistan made early inroads with the ball through Naveed Ahmed Khan, who claimed openers Jaydn Denly (1) and Ben McKinney (6).

Hamza found help in the form of Noah Thain (22) and Luc Benkenstein (30), as the English finished at 183/6 from their truncated 34-over innings.

Looking to give their batters a final hit out ahead of the tournament start, Pakistan retired several batters in their chase after making solid starts.

Ahmed Hassan (44*), Azan Awais (21*) and Muhammad Riazulluah (22*) all made way without being dismissed, before England's opening bowler Dominic Kelly returned to take 3/28 (7).

Eddie Jack claimed the wicket of Arafat Minhas in the final over to claim the warm-up win.
ICC

Why can't this event take place once every 4 years like any normal World Cup?

Australia were champions for a year and now England will only have been champions for 18 months

Three reasons.

1. It's an opportunity to market new talent coming through
2. Many players would age out in those four years and never get to play in an U19 WC.
3. It's a developmental World Cup at the end of the day allowing prospects to play high-pressure games.

I think it's quite logical to have a shorter cycle at this level.

Should be held every year as it will allow younger players to develop more quickly playing the event potentially up to 2,3 or even 4 times while playing in different countries and in different conditions that too in a high profile world event in pressure situations.

Foulkes approved as replacement for Hekmat in New Zealand U19 Squad

Media Release: The Event Technical Committee of the ICC U19 Men’s Cricket World Cup 2024 has approved Robbie Foulkes as a replacement for Rahman Hekmat in the New Zealand squad.

Batting all-rounder Foulkes was named as a replacement after Hekmat was ruled out due to a lumbar bone stress injury sustained during training.

The replacement of a player requires the approval of the Event Technical Committee before the player can be officially added to the squad.

The Event Technical Committee of the ICC U19 Men’s Cricket World Cup 2024 consists of Wasim Khan (ICC General Manager – Cricket and Chair of the ETC), Wanele Mngomezulu (Host Tournament Director), Sarah Edgar (IBC Representative) and Samuel Badree (Independent Representative).

ICC​

From humble beginnings in Karak to U19 World Cup in South Africa – Khubaib Khalil hopes to rise to the top

Lahore, 18 January 2024:

Bowling all-rounder Khubaib Khalil hails from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Karak district and carved his career after overcoming various hurdles. He now aims to help Pakistan U19 win the ICC Men’s U19 World Cup 2024 in South Africa.

Khubaib made his One-Day debut for Pakistan U19 in the ACC Men’s Asia Cup 2023-24 and bagged two wickets against Afghanistan U19 in a promising spell.

Khubaib’s father was not in favour of enrolling him in a proper cricket facility due to financial constraints. His first coach, Matiullah, earmarked him as a future star and helped him get admission to the Islamia Cricket Academy in Kohat, some 70 kilometers from his hometown.

At the academy, young Khubaib was allowed to use the equipment and train every other day, resulting in his selection for FATA Region U13 in the PCB U13 Inter-Regional T20 Tournament 2017 and the subsequent edition in 2018.

He shed light on his struggles in the early days in a chat with PCB Digital, “I have played cricket in very tough circumstances. I had to work odd jobs to make ends meet, even working as a labourer. My father was struggling with financial issues. I got some money from PCB after playing in the National U19 competitions which helped me sort out a lot of issues. That was the first time I bought my own kit bag whereas before that I was using Matiullah’s equipment.”

Khubaib picked up pace bowling after being inspired by South Africa great Dale Steyn. Possessing a smooth action with a steady approach to the crease, he has showcased his ability to hit probing lengths regularly and frustrate batters with his line and length.

Khubaib has shown promise with the bat too, demonstrating good defence and power-hitting skills. His reliability as a lower-order batter was evident in the net sessions where coaches put their trust in his batting ability.

“I’m glad to have represented Pakistan at the recent U19 Asia Cup which was a great exposure for me,” Khubaib said. “I’ve done well in the domestic U19 competitions with both bat and ball which gives me confidence to do well in the World Cup. We have a very good squad that has been mentored by some of the best coaches including Mohammad Yousuf and I’m sure we’ll put a great show in the World Cup.”​

Cricket South Africa (CSA) is pleased to announce its readiness to host the ICC U19 Men’s Cricket World Cup South Africa 2024.

The five host venues, Mangaung Oval in Bloemfontein, Kimberley Oval in Kimberley, JB Marks Oval in Potchefstroom, Buffalo Park in East London and Willowmoore Park in Benoni – are well prepared to welcome participating teams and spectators.

The 15th edition of the tournament will be hosted over 24 days with 16 teams competing in 41 matches at the 5 host venues in what promises to be an entertaining festival of cricket.

We are delighted to host teams and fans from around the world and look forward to showcasing the spirit of cricket in South Africa. Our priority is to ensure that the tournament is a memorable event for all players and fans.

CSA is fully committed to ensuring the safety of all players and spectators at the various hosting venues. We are taking all the necessary measures to secure these venues and ensure an enjoyable tournament for all involved.

While CSA respects the right to lawful protests, we emphasise that these cannot interfere with the matches or compromise the safety of players and fans. To this end, we are collaborating closely with the South African Police Service (SAPS) to ensure that the tournament proceeds smoothly and without any disruptions.

Our focus remains steadfast on delivering a successful and safe World Cup. We appreciate the support and understanding of the cricket community as we work towards another successful global showpiece event on South African soil.

Upper Dir’s Muhammad Riazullah keen to prove himself at the ICC U19 World Cup

Muhammad Riazullah – a middle-order batter – is expected to be a vital cog in the Pakistan line-up at the ICC U19 World Cup in South Africa. Hailing from Upper Dir, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, the young right-handed batter had to overcome all odds to materialise his dream of playing cricket professionally.

Riazullah made the decision to move to Peshawar at a very early age to pursue cricket. At first, his parents were reluctant with his decision before he won over their support with his passion and commitment.

“Upper Dir had limited facilities, so I had to move to Peshawar,” he told PCB Digital. “My family did not want me to move but I promised that I would focus on my education while pursuing cricket.”

However, moving to Peshawar brought more struggles for Riazullah. “We were struggling financially at the time as my brother had cancer. My father was a schoolteacher and most of his salary would be directed towards my brother’s treatment. When my coaches learnt about my finanacial constraints, they supported me by significantly reducing my fee.”

In 2018, Riazullah began playing club cricket in Peshawar – his first foray into professional cricket. In the subsequent year, he featured in the PCB-organised U13 regional tournament.

Riazullah came into the limelight with his performance in the 2021-22 National U16 Cup, where he represented Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Whites U16 and topped the batting charts with 419 runs in six games, including a century and four half-centuries.

In the 2023-24 National U19 Cup, Riazullah finished as the tournament’s second-highest run-getter. Playing for Abbottabad U19, he registered two centuries in four games and earned a call-up to the national U19 team for the home series against Sri Lanka U19. Riazullah also starred with a match-winning half-century against Afghanistan U19 in the ACC U19 Asia Cup 2023.

Citing Babar Azam as his inspiration, Riazullah hopes to emulate the dynamic batter in his career. He sees the upcoming U19 World Cup as the perfect opportunity to prove himself.

Riazullah said: “I have worked hard with the coaches to prepare for South African conditions. It is a big honour to represent Pakistan at the U19 World Cup. Previously, Upper Dir’s Kamran Ghulam represented Pakistan U19 and it was a great feeling for the entire town. I want to make everyone in my family and in my town proud the same way.”

Can India reach final for 5th time in a row? This team doesn't give me confidence based on their performances in Asia cup

Glimpses of the Pakistan U19 cricket team meeting before the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup 2024. Coaches working hard with the future stars of Pakistan.

20240118_213653.jpg20240118_213655.jpg20240118_213657.jpg

The International Cricket Council (ICC) today revealed details of the broadcast arrangements in place for the ICC U19 Men’s Cricket World Cup 2024, as South Africa prepares to host the action from 19 January.

The event has historically provided fans with the first glimpse of the stars of tomorrow, and for the first time ever, all 41 matches at the event will be broadcast live to audiences around the globe.

Among the destinations for live broadcast coverage, fans can catch the action on Star Sports (India), Amazon (Australia), Sky Sports (UK), Supersport (Sub-Saharan Africa), CricLife (MENA), Willow (USA and Canada), ESPN (Caribbean and South America) and Sky Sport (New Zealand).

Fans in other territories will be able to watch the U19 Men’s Cricket World Cup 2024 for free on the ICC’s OTT platform, ICC.tv, ensuring live coverage of all matches across the world.

A full list of broadcasters and territories can be found here.

Matchday broadcast coverage will include pre-match build-up and post-match reactions with the captains’ interviews.

Renowned broadcaster and former West Indies pacer Ian Bishop will be leading the commentary team and he will be joined by Scott Styris, Samuel Badree and Lydia Greenway, former international stars who have lifted ICC world titles for their respective teams.

Other former international cricketers on the roster include WV Raman, Marina Iqbal, Ed Rainsford, Bazid Khan, Abhinav Mukund, Tino Mawoyo, HD Ackerman and Jon Kent.

The line-up will also include broadcasters Charles Dagnall, Melinda Farrell, Andrew Leonard, Raunak Kapoor, Philasande Sixaba, Firdose Moonda and Zaahier Adams.

Ian Bishop: “I always look forward to the U19 World Cups as some of the world’s best up-and-coming players are on show. To follow all the talent so closely and to then see them develop into great achievers is very satisfying.

“I wish the players the very best and look forward to all the action, just as fans around the world would be doing over the next few weeks.”

Lydia Greenway: “The Under-19 World Cup is an established feeder system for men’s cricket and I am so glad we also have one for women now. These tournaments provide just the right kind of exposure players need at that age, preparing them for bigger challenges ahead.

“I’m sure this edition will unearth some outstanding players, and this will be a fantastic tournament to watch.”

Scott Styris: “The Under-19 World Cup provides players from around the world a pathway for the future and the results have been there for everyone to see. The likes of Kane Williamson, Virat Kohli and Kagiso Rabada have all tread this path, having featured in past editions.

“It’s a great opportunity for me to be close to the action and see all these future stars compete on the big stage.”

Charles Dagnall: “The Under-19 World Cup is where careers are born. Many household names of cricket first showcased their skills, potential and character at this wonderful event and what a thrill it will be to watch the best young players in the world come together on the big stage.

“It will be a pleasure working alongside a fabulous team of commentators and I can’t wait for the action to begin.”

The coverage will be delivered by Sunset+Vine, supported by their local OB equipment partner, Dimensions. The on-air graphics will be provided by Quidich Innovation Labs.

The U19 World Cup is starting today. 2 fixtures are scheduled for today:

1st game: Ireland U19 vs USA U19 (8am GMT)

South Africa U19 vs West Indies U19 (8am GMT)

Last edited:
Pakistan U19 captain Saad Baig eyes glory in the U19 World Cup

Lahore, 19 January 2024:

Pakistan U19 skipper Saad Baig, who hails from Karachi, is hopeful of leading his team to glory in the U19 showpiece event in South Africa. Saad has led Pakistan U19 in 17 One-Day matches where the team ended up winning 10 games. A southpaw by trade and an agile wicketkeeper behind the stumps, Saad is known for being a cool and calm character on the field.

He started his career at Customs Cricket Academy in Karachi and was part of their touring party on the trip to India. He received a lot of support from his parents and straightaway impressed in the PCB’s Under-13 Regional Tournament 2018-19 where he scored 128 runs and bagged four dismissals behind the stumps. He was the leading run-scorer in the National U16 One-Day Tournament 2019-20, accumulating 206 runs in four games.

Saad had a stellar run in the year 2022 where he was the second leading run-scorer in the National U19 One-Day Cup, pouched eight catches and stumped one batter. He was rewarded with a call-up to Pakistan U19 for the home series against Bangladesh U19 and was appointed captain of the team.

He led Hyderabad Hunters in the Pakistan Junior League as well. After the tournament, he joined Sindh in the Cricket Associations Challenge 2022-23, a One-Day Cup for second XI sides, and scored 315 runs in 10 games while also becoming the third-best wicketkeeper with 11 dismissals.

In a chat with PCB Digital, Saad shared how he picked up the sport and progressed leaps and bounds, “My father used to play cricket and he took me to the academy. My first breakthrough was an U15 tour to India where I did very well with the bat and gloves. It gave me a lot of confidence to excel at all age group levels. I believe if you are exposed to quality cricket at the club level and good coaches, then you can kickstart a great career. My alma mater, St Paul’s High School, has also played a great role where my coach Sir Lenny used to train me even in summer breaks.”

Saad brings stability to the middle-order and has shown the ability to bat for longer periods while also churning runs at a healthy rate. He stitched an unbeaten 125-run partnership with Azan Awais in a successful chase against India U19 in the ACC Men’s Asia Cup 2024. Behind the stumps, Saad has a trusted pair of hands which provides confidence to all bowlers. His decision-making is deemed sound as he commands respect from his teammates.

Saad will be hoping to contribute to Pakistan’s success by being on top of his game in all three– batting, leadership and wicket-keeping.

Saad is aware of Pakistan’s 17-year-long U19 World Cup trophy drought and looks excited to bring back the trophy home. “I’m glad the PCB has trusted me with the leadership role of a very talented bunch of players,” he said. “The journey so far has been very good and I want to continue making fine memories. My next goal is to win the U19 World Cup for Pakistan as I know it’s been a long time since we lifted that trophy in 2006.”

Ireland beat USA by seven wickets in Bloemfontein

Toss: Ireland won the toss and elected to bowl first

Ireland skipper Philippus le Roux chose to bowl after winning the toss. He wanted to take advantage of any movement in the wicket early on. Reuben Wilson struck in the very first over of the game, cleaning up USA opener Aryaman Suri with a jaffa. Olly Riley wasn't to be left behind and soon picked the wicket of Pranav Chettipalayam with a beauty. The southpaw was cleaned up by one that jagged in and hit his bails.

Riley picked two more in the first Powerplay as USA batters looked uncomfortable against the movement generated by the Ireland pacers. Another wicket fell to the medium pace of John McNally soon after, and USA had lost half their side at merely 37. When Parth Patel (13) fell to Wilson, Ireland had already entered USA's tail.

It didn't take them long to dislodge the remaining batters, even as the North American side were bowled out in the 41st over. The new-ball pair of Wilson and Riley finished with three apiece.

USA got off to the perfect start at the back of a double blow from Arya Garg. Jordan Neill and Gavin Roulston fell when the team total was merely five. Ryan Hunter and Kian Hilton came together then for the third wicket.

They saw off the challenge of the new ball, and gathered runs off the loose deliveries. Their stand of 59 runs helped Ireland cover more than half of USA's ask. After Hilton's loss in the 14th over, skipper Philippus Le Roux joined the chase. Along with Neill, he helped Ireland cross the line without any further losses.

Surprisingly, all the players selected in the USA U19 squad belong to Indian origin :yk2

IMG-20240119-WA0032.jpg

The 15th edition of the ICC U19 Men’s Cricket World Cup in South Africa has commenced today. Saad Baig led-Pakistan U19 are slotted in Group D along with Afghanistan, Nepal and New Zealand.

Pakistan will kick off their campaign against Afghanistan U19 at East London on 20 January, followed by games against Nepal U19 and New Zealand U19 on 24 and 27 January, respectively at the same venue. After the group stage, top three teams from each group will progress to the Super Six stage.

Pakistan U19 team boasts a well-rounded squad with some talented batters and bowlers. Pakistan’s fast bowling arsenal includes tearaway pacer, Ubaid Shah, brother of Test fast bowler Naseem Shah while the towering Mohammad Zeeshan is expected to be the trump card in South African conditions. Left-arm pacer Amir Hassan is also considered a formidable bowler with the new ball.

In the spin bowling department, Pakistan U19 will have the services of Arafat Minhas, Ali Asfand and Naveed Ahmed Khan.

Pakistan U19 played two warm-up games in the lead-up to their opening game. The game against South Africa U19 was called off after Pakistan set a target of 212 runs in a 41-over game, while Pakistan lost to England U19 by nine runs as per the DLS method. Pakistan’s group matches are set to begin at 1300 PKT and all the games will be streamed live on ICC TV.

Pakistan’s record in the previous U19 World Cups:

Since its commencement in 1988, the tournament has witnessed seven distinct champions across its 14 editions. Pakistan U19 have clinched the title twice in 2004 and 2006.

1988 U19 World Cup:

Pakistan U19 secured the runners-up position after competing in the final against Australia U19, in the inaugural U19 World Cup. Basit Ali, Inzamam-ul-Haq, Mushtaq Ahmed and Aaqib Javed emerged as noteworthy players who subsequently went on to represent Pakistan at the international level. Mushtaq Ahmed was the joint leading wicket-taker with 19 wickets in nine games at an average of 16.21.

1998 U19 World Cup:

Notable players such as Abdul Razzaq and Shoaib Malik played pivotal roles in the team's journey during the 1998 U19 World Cup. Abdul Razzaq scored 151 runs and took 12 wickets, while Shoaib Malik claimed eight wickets.

2000 U19 World Cup:

The tournament served as a stage for promising talents, affirming Pakistan's prowess in the global arena. Pakistan U19 lost in the semi-final to Sri Lanka U19 by a narrow margin of 10 runs. Faisal Iqbal, Imran Farhat, Imran Nazir, Taufeeq Umar, Yasir Arafat and Mohammad Sami were the notable players who afterwards represented Pakistan.

2002 U19 World Cup:

Pakistan U19 showcased exceptional skills, delivering standout performances with a well-rounded display of batting and bowling alike. Azhar Ali and Umar Gul were the notable players from that edition.

2004 U19 World Cup

Pakistan U19 won their maiden ICC U19 World Cup title in 2004 under the leadership of Khalid Latif. Pakistan beat West Indies in the final by 25 runs and overcame India in the semi-final. Riaz Afridi, elder brother of Pakistan’s current T20I captain Shaheen Shah Afridi, bagged 19 wickets, ending up as the second leading wicket-taker in the tournament. Wahab Riaz and Fawad Alam went onto have illustrious careers for Pakistan team later. Zulqarnain Haider and Abid Ali were also part of the squad.

2006 U19 World Cup

Sarfaraz Ahmed-led Pakistan U19 successfully defended their title in 2006 after beating India in the final by 38 runs in a low-scoring affair courtesy of Anwar Ali’s brilliant spell. Anwar, returning with 5-35 in the final, was the second leading wicket-taker with 15 wickets in five games. Imad Wasim played his first U19 World Cup.

2008 U19 World Cup

The 2008 batch of Pakistan U19 players was one of the most talented squads with eight players going onto represent the national men’s side in future. Pakistan U19 were led by Imad with Shan Masood serving as his deputy. Pakistan’s journey came to an end when they lost to South Africa in the semi-final. Umar Akmal, Umar Amin and Ahmed Shehzad were quick to graduate to the senior side from that batch.

2010 U19 World Cup

Pakistan U19 finished runners-up in the 2010 edition of the tournament after losing to Australia by 25 runs in the final game. This was Babar Azam’s first appearance at the event and he finished as the third leading run-scorer of the tournament with 298 runs. Ahmed Shehzad, Usman Qadir and Hammad Azam were the other notable names.

2012 U19 World Cup

Babar led Pakistan in the ICC U19 World Cup 2012. The dynamic batter led from front with the bat accumulating 287 runs. Pakistan’s journey finished after losing the quarter-final to India U19. Mohammad Nawaz, Ehsan Adil and Mir Hamza were other noteworthy names. Seven players from this squad earned Test caps for Pakistan.

2014 U19 World Cup

Pakistan U19 team, led by Sami Aslam, lost to South Africa in the final of the tournament. They had beaten England U19 by three wickets to get to the final. Imam-ul-Haq was the second leading run-scorer in the tournament with 382 runs. This squad also had many talented youngsters including Saud Shakeel, Kamran Ghulam and Hussain Talat.

2016 U19 World Cup

Pakistan U19 journeyed to the quarter-final stage in this tournament, where they faced their only loss of the tournament. Shadab Khan was the find of the tournament for Pakistan with 11 wickets in six games.

2018 U19 World Cup

Pakistan U19 finished joint third in this edition when the third-place play-off between the two semi-finalists, Afghanistan and Pakistan was abandoned. This tournament saw the emergence of Pakistan’s ace

bowler Shaheen Afridi who returned with 12 wickets and ended up as the third leading wicket-taker of the tournament. Arshad Iqbal and Musa Khan were the other key players for Pakistan.

2020 U19 World Cup

Rohail Nazir-led Pakistan U19 reached the semi-finals in this tournament where they lost India U19. Other notable stars from this squad were Mohammad Haris, Haider Ali, Mohammad Wasim Jnr, Qasim Akram and Abbas Afridi. Haris (131) scored the most runs for Pakistan while Abbas took the most wickets (nine).

2022 U19 World Cup

Led by Qasim, Pakistan U19 ended up on the fifth place after beating Sri Lanka by 238 runs. Haseebullah Khan was the second leading run-scorer of the tournament with 380 runs. Ali Asfand, who is part of the current Pakistan U19 squad as well, also played in the tournament.

India vs BD in U19 world cup always have fiery exchanges. BD looks much stronger in their bowling department.

South Africa beat West Indies by 31 runs in Potchefstroom

Toss: West Indies won the toss and elected to bowl first

After winning the toss, West Indies captain Stephan Pascal elected to bowl first. He backed his strong bowling line-up to do well against South Africa. Lhuan-Dre Pretorius took charge in the initial stages with a flurry of boundaries, though Deshawn James managed to grab an early wicket in the form of Steve Stolk (5), who mistimed a swipe towards the off-side where the alert Pascal took an easy catch.

On the other hand, Pretorius kept going for his shots and even hit the first six of the tournament against Nathan Sealy. However, it was Sealy who had the last laugh as he cleaned up the left-hander with a beauty in his next over. David Teeger and Richard Seletswane held the fort over the next few overs and looked to rebuild the innings.

Just as the duo were looking to pick the pace, Seletswane was run out off a direct hit from Tarrique Edward.

Oliver Whitehead came in at number five, and after surviving a close call, helped South Africa rebuild their innings. Along with Teeger, he added 48 runs for the fourth wicket. However, he was caught at mid-on after he tried to charge James down the wicket. Sealy returned to strike twice in his ninth over, removing Romashan Pillay and the set Teeger to put West Indies ahead.

Dewan Marais then let out several attacking strokes to announce his intent. This helped the skipper Juan James to settle in and go for his shots later in the innings. With a positive approach, the duo added crucial runs towards the end of the innings. Marais' impressive fifty came off merely 33 balls. He finished as the innings top-scorer with his 65 from 38.

In response, the Boys in Maroon found the going tough against the young Proteas. Left-arm pacer Kwena Maphaka ran through the top-order, picking Adrian Weir, Pascal and Joshua Dorne in the first 12 balls of his spell. An aggressive Jordan Johson tried to counter-attack but eventually fell to Riley Norton. At the end of 10 overs, West Indies were going at a healthy pace of 7.3, but had lost half their side.

Jewel Andrew and Nathan Sealy made their intentions clear by going for their shots, ensuring that West Indies moved ahead at a brisk pace. In the next 15 overs, the duo added nearly 100 runs to keep their side in the game. Just when it looked like the two had done enough to take the game away from South Africa, Sealy was run out from the deep by a direct hit at the score of 190 to add intrigue to the contest.

Andrew kept going with assistance from Tarrique and Nathan Edward. However, Maphaka and Norton struck in the later overs to run through the West Indies lower-order. Andrew's dismissal at 130 all but sealed the game for the Proteas.

ICC

So South Africa initially made Teeger captain who batted at 2.70 Run Rate when the innings run-rate was 5.70. Lol. Makes complete sense to have him removed as captain then.

Top 3 innings that ended in losing cause in the history of ICC Men Under 19 World Cup.
IMG-20240120-WA0004.jpg

Maphaka from South Africa is a proper fast bowler. What a prospect at the age of 17.

Quick, accurate, and gets serious movement.

Today's fixtures of the U19 World Cup 2024:

Bangladesh U19 vs India U19 (08:00 AM GMT)

Scotland U19 vs England U19 (08:00 AM GMT)

Pakistan U19 vs Afghanistan U19 (08:00 AM GMT)

Maphaka is good, South Africa will be very pleased to see another black cricketer like him come through.

Who are the young lads to watch out for from Pakistan's U19 team?

Maphaka is good, South Africa will be very pleased to see another black cricketer like him come through.

Who are the young lads to watch out for from Pakistan's U19 team?
None of them stands out this time to be honest , hopefully couple of guys really stand up and shown glimpse of bright future

Shamyl hussain, ubaid shah, muhammad zeeshan, saad baig. All of them are worth noticing.
Bro if you have seen WI and Saf pacers in the U19 World Cup then you wouldn’t be quoting our pacers in the list, they are far behind, yes Shamyl is a great talent but way too inconsistent and technically flawed, Saad Baig is strictly mediocre but just a good captain , Ubaid is too slow, Zeeshan with all the talent he has not getting much wickets after the India match.

Bro if you have seen WI and Saf pacers in the U19 World Cup then you wouldn’t be quoting our pacers in the list, they are far behind, yes Shamyl is a great talent but way too inconsistent and technically flawed, Saad Baig is strictly mediocre but just a good captain , Ubaid is too slow, Zeeshan with all the talent he has not getting much wickets after the India match.
These guys will come good here as well. Conditions suit the bowlers here.

Today's fixtures of the U19 World Cup 2024:

Bangladesh U19 vs India U19 (08:00 AM GMT)

Scotland U19 vs England U19 (08:00 AM GMT)

Pakistan U19 vs Afghanistan U19 (08:00 AM GMT)

Toss Update for today's fixtures:

Bangladesh U19 have won the toss and have opted to field

England U19 have won the toss and have opted to field

Pakistan U19 have won the toss and have opted to bat

Toss Update for today's fixtures:

Pakistan U19 have won the toss and have opted to bat

Teams:

Bangladesh U19 (Playing XI): Ashiqur Rahman Shibli(w), Jishan Alam, Chowdhury Md Rizwan, Ariful Islam, Ahrar Amin, Mohammad Shihab James, Mahfuzur Rahman Rabby(c), Sheikh Paevez Jibon, Md Iqbal Hossain Emmon, Maruf Mridha, Rohanat Doullah Borson

India U19 (Playing XI): Adarsh Singh, Arshin Kulkarni, Musheer Khan, Uday Saharan(c), Sachin Dhas, Priyanshu Moliya, Aravelly Avanish(w), Murugan Abhishek, Aaradhya Shukla, Raj Limbani, Naman Tiwari

==

Teams:

England U19 (Playing XI): Ben McKinney(c), Jaydn Denly, Noah Thain, Hamza Shaikh, Luc Benkenstein, Charlie Allison, Dominic Kelly, Jack Carney(w), Sebastian Morgan, Eddie Jack, Farhan Ahmed

Scotland U19 (Playing XI): Adi Hegde, Jamie Dunk, Bahadar Esakhiel, Owen Gould(w/c), Uzair Ahmad, Harry Armstrong, Mackenzie Jones, Ibrahim Faisal, Ruaridh McIntyre, Qasim Khan, Logan Briggs

You can watch the matches live on the following platforms:

1705741259320.png

For those who want to watch these matches live.

Adarsh Singh hits half-century in 67 balls. India 105/2 in 21.1 overs vs Bangladesh in U-19 World Cup match

All Bangladeshi bowlers and fielders giving send offs to Indian batsmen after dismissing them.

What's with all the aggression from BD boys. :mw

Clearly they don't like India.

Clearly. Despite this being just an under 19 cricket. No animosity from our players whatsoever .

Will be embarrassing if they lose this after all the antics.

Got to back that aggression with a winning performance here.

All Bangladeshi bowlers and fielders giving send offs to Indian batsmen after dismissing them.

What's with all the aggression from BD boys. :mw
If India is good enough they should return the favor. I don't think this Indian side is good enough,

Pakistan 89/5 in the last 10 overs against Afghanistan

India 81/3 in the last 10 overs against Bangladesh

I don't want this under 19 side to be overly aggressive in their antics. Just let the performance do the talking.
Young age. Aggression comes naturally. But i agree bD always does this. Even u19 final in 2020 they were doing against Indian batsmen. Tanzim against Tilak varma.

BD aggression borderline contrived lol. Not a natural aggression. They try to be aggressive just for the sake of being aggressive.

Afg bowling is better than BD for sure , raw pace in Khalil and Bashar and Ghazanfar is probably the best spinner in this world cup

Not going to be easy for BD

GESJv1pX0AA9X4V

India 251/7 (50 overs) v Bangladesh in Bloemfontein

Toss: Bangladesh won the toss and opted to field

Bangladesh decided to field first and make most of the early assistance in Bloemfontein. Maruf Mridha was on song with the new ball, and troubled the India batters with his left-arm angle. He accounted for all-rounder Arshin Kulkarni and Musheer Khan early in the innings to give the young Tigers an early advantage.

Adarsh Singh and skipper Uday Saharan then put their foot down, and ensured that India went ahead at a brisk pace. The left-right combination worked to perfection as the duo added 116 runs for the third wicket, overseeing two-thirds of the second Powerplay. Adarsh (76) eventually fell while trying to loft Rizwan Chowdhury over mid-off.

Bangladesh were able to stem the flow of runs, and this resulted in another breakthrough, in the form of the set Saharan (64). Aravelly Avanish (23 from 17) starred with a cameo to add crucial runs in the death overs. Another brisk knock from Sachin Dhas (26 from 20) helped add some crucial runs to the India total. Maruf returned to garner two more wickets, and ensured that India were restricted to 251/7.

Bangaldesh will be carrying the confidence of a successful outing against the Boys in Blue in Dubai. The Tigers defeated India by four wickets in the recently concluded U19 Asia Cup. They went on to lift the trophy.

Scotland 174 all out (49.2 overs) v England in Potchefstroom

Toss: England won the toss and opted to field

England skipper Ben McKinney called it right at the toss and opted to take the field, notably West Indies had taken the same call on this ground in their opening encounter of the tournament against South Africa yesterday.

Jamie Dunk's solid start for Scotland was disrupted by Farhan Ahmed in the 10th over. Farhan picked two wickets in the same over to leave Scotland in need of a rebuild. Skipper Owen Gould, came in at number four, and steadied the innings. Remaining positive in the consolidation of innings, Gould hit six boundaries which included a six, to help Scotland past 100.

However, led by vice-captain Luc Benkenstein, the England bowlers continued making inroads. Benkenstein accounted for Gould, who was cleaned up for 48. Having lost six wickets by the 36th over, Scotland had a big ask ahead of themselves.

Disciplined work from England ensured that Scotland weren't able to take off and finished at a modest 174. Farhan and Benkenstein finished with three wickets apiece.

Afghanistan batting sucks. IN the tri series they lost very badly to India. INdia chased down 88 in 11 overs

BD and India have an easy group. Their two other opponents are USA and Ireland.

So, whoever win this game should top the group.

7 wides from Naman Tiwari in 3 overs :unsure:.Is her related to some hotshot in Indian cricket? How did he get into the XI

BD lost their first wicket.

39/1 (7.3 overs).

They just need to take it deep. Target isn't too big. This Indian side doesn't seem as great as their previous U19 sides.

Scotland U19
(49.2)

ENG U19
101/0
(14.4)

England cruising to victory here in their inaugural game of Under-19 WC 2024.

Back