The Misbah-ul-Haq Captaincy Analysis Thread

I support Dean Jones's suggestion.
Make Afridi captain in the Test.

This will help us in two ways,
1. An experienced captain taking over from another experienced captain.

2. Excitement factor in every game. It will become a roller coaster ride and a memorable return that will be enjoyed for years. :)

Genius!

Experience of running away like a coward.

an extremely bad day for Pakistan yesterday, did nothing right.

should have batted NZ out of the game with a score of 500/550 but their minds were clearly adrift.

then some absolutely atrocious bowling followed up by unimaginative captaincy.

cannot understand for the life of me why Misbah kept persisting with Talha even though he was all over the place and getting hammered.

let's hope they snap out of their funk today, get some early wickets and wrest some control over the match from the Kiwis.

Keeping part timers on after the wicket, allowing the new batsman time to get settled. I guess he is going for the option of bowling out the 5th bowler rather than attacking for a few more wickets.

Great captaincy by the legend. Well on the way to giving up 400 runs and losing I think 10 of the last 12 matches. Better than Imran Khan for sure :misbah

dont think even if steve waugh was given bhatti adil harris younis shehzad as 5 of his 7 bowlers things would have been much different.

Two catches went from the slips in Harris Sohail's bowling but Misbah still didn't place a slip.

An average day as a skipper bringing Afridi n Yas in the death overs was a mistake

and opening with Yuni was one of the dumbest decision in WC history :viv

Placed Jamshed at third man knowing he would drop Smith, just to set up Gayle being caught at long leg the next ball by the man who replaced Jamshed 30 seconds previously. Brilliant captaincy

His options are limited with only 4 bowlers. He can't do much when 3 catches are dropped.

Placed Jamshed at third man knowing he would drop Smith, just to set up Gayle being caught at long leg the next ball by the man who replaced Jamshed 30 seconds previously. Brilliant captaincy

TBF Jamshed usually don't drop catches he is a very good catcher although a reallhy poor runner

Easily the worse strategic captain in this WC. Our players are mediocre to begin with but with Misbah at the helm we might aswel pack our bags and return home. The man is clueless when it comes to team selection and ODI captaincy.

Misbah the batsman will be missed, Misbah the captain will not be missed

Horrible captaincy by Misbah so far :facepalm: Instead of attacking the new batsman Ramdin, Misbah go soft on him :facepalm:

Frankly speaking , I wont miss his batting either.

He is a gentleman and an honest cricketer though

another horrible decision by Misbah using Sohail Khan in middle overs instead of using him in death overs where he is good at. :facepalm:

another horrible decision by Misbah using Sohail Khan in middle overs instead of using him in death overs where he is good at. :facepalm:

Yeah, horrible decision to bowl someone who's bowling pretty well for 1 over during the batting powerplay

It was superb captaincy, not only did the part timer take two wickets so far, but he's left only one oversto be bowled by the fifth bowler in the last ten, conceded only 15 in the five overs of power lay because he kept the best bowlers for it.

Had it not been for his superb thinking, we should be chasing another thirty runs.

in that countdown graphic Umar Akmal is the most bharambaaz with his bicep flex

Yeah Khan was great at the death no?
not great but before his last over, he was doing pretty good. He lost the plot in his last over.

* He bowled 43rd over and gave 2 runs. Great over. His match figures at that time 7-1-28-1 were extremely good.

* He bowled 45th over and gave 10 runs. Good over. His match figures at that time 8-1-38-1 were pretty good.

* He bowled 47th over and gave 13 runs. Average over. His match figures at that time 9-1-51-1 were average.

* He bowled 49th over and gave 22 runs. Very Bad over. His final match figures 10-1-73-1 were bad.

Have to agree with OP. Misbah brought on Afridi in 11th over when ball was still swinging and then persisted with Haris to Ramdin. However the issue is that you have to bowl ur 5th bowler at some point and thats the reason Haris escaped with reasonable figures

I'm a huge fan of this guy but honestly, his captaincy in the World Cup has been really bad.

He never attacks when a new batsman comes in. What's the point of bowling spin with defensive field settings for a new batsman? It only gives them time to settle in. Why can't he be more offensive? Put in some slips. Put on a pacer. Try to take the advantage.

In both the World Cup games so far he has persisted with spinners and defensive fielding setting after the bowlers have given him a wicket. At least attack for an over or two.

Brings Irfan back into the attack -> wicket (Thread stays back on page 10)

Brings Wahab back into the attack -> Wicket (Thread stays dead)

Brings Afridi back into the attack -> Creates an edge which is dropped (Thread still dead)

Gives the ball back to Rahat - > Wicket (Nope, nobody remembers this thread exists)

Edge goes past the keeper -> "BLUNDER AFTER BLUNDER"

#WelcomeToPakPassion

Brings Irfan back into the attack -> wicket (Thread stays back on page 10)

Brings Wahab back into the attack -> Wicket (Thread stays dead)

Brings Afridi back into the attack -> Creates an edge which is dropped (Thread still dead)

Gives the ball back to Rahat - > Wicket (Nope, nobody remembers this thread exists)

Edge goes past the keeper -> "BLUNDER AFTER BLUNDER"

#WelcomeToPakPassion

Lets start from the begining of the match. Plays Nasir Jamshed despite failing for eternity doesn't selects Sarfraz, continues with a make-shift keeper. sucks the life out of team by his negative approach takes slip after the chance was created #open-your-eyes

it was not a master stroke they took the PP you bowl your best bowler #common.sense

it was not a master stroke they took the PP you bowl your best bowler #common.sense

But when the teams were announced you said:

Wahab Rahat Sohail Irfan

The most,mediocre pace quartet to play on Australian shore since Indian quartet at Perth in 2012

But now these guys are guaranteed to take wickets?

No matter, now that we won I fully expect this thread to sink like a stone.

But when the teams were announced you said:

But now these guys are guaranteed to take wickets?

No matter, now that we won I fully expect this thread to sink like a stone.

So what it is still a mediocre pace attack and if they can't take wickets on that track they where will they take wickets. the conditions were conducive to fast bowling

Misbah's usage of Mohammad Irfan and Sohail Khan is disgrace :facepalm: Both of these bowlers may be out of the team injured thanks to Misbah.

Misbah's usage of Mohammad Irfan and Sohail Khan is disgrace :facepalm: Both of these bowlers may be out of the team injured thanks to Misbah.

Irfan bowled what, 3 overs? It is in no way Misbah's fault if the guy is made of porcelain

Why is Misbah bowling part timers?

UAE definitely cant win

We need to win by as many runs and as convinvigly as possible to better the NRR

Why the hell is he bowling part timers?

Bowl your strike bowlers who can get you freakin wickets!

Match is beyond their reach anyway so if the strike bowlers dont get wickets and run out of overs you can bowl the part timers to fulfill the quota then

Pathetic captaincy in this period!

I know Sohaib just got the wicket but my comment is more on the tactics employed. and the intent shown

Are you watching the match? Sohail and Irfan are off the field, how can we bowl them while they're in the dugout injured?

Sohail got injured too?

I tought just Irfan.

Anyways bring Afridi and Wahab then

Atleast give Wahab the ball and tell him to ball as fast as he can

Rahat, Afridi and Wahab all have bowled more than half of their overs. If he bowls them now and they don't take wickets then whose he gonna bowl at the death? Maqsood and Haris?

Rahat, Afridi and Wahab all have bowled more than half of their overs. If he bowls them now and they don't take wickets then whose he gonna bowl at the death? Maqsood and Haris?

UAE cant win the mathc even if Misbah and Akmal bowl 10 overs.

its beyond them

so look for wickets as soon as you can. no need to save for death overs when RRR would be 20+

Are you watching the match? Sohail and Irfan are off the field, how can we bowl them while they're in the dugout injured?

SOhail is not off, We can bowl Rahat, Wahab, and Sohail instead of part timers to get wickets :facepalm:

Pathetic tactics really

Worried about death against UAE :facepalm:

LOL , misbah did it the last match as well.

We should have won more than 50 against zimbabwe as well.

I won't be surprised if UAE score 230 plus today. Really a laid back approach.

These tactic really show why he's seen success in test cricket but not the same in ODIs

It's not a frickin' tactic. He has no other option.

Do you people even watch the game?

I can understand he has to go through 7 overs of Irfan, but should really be looking to seal the game to improve NRR

It's not a frickin' tactic. He has no other option.

Do you people even watch the game?

7-6 overs of PArt time from both ends, you can mix them by attacking from other end, he just wanted to get through Irfan's overs :facepalm:

Ppl are saying that he needs to cover for Irfan's lost overs

But why cover from them now?

Bowl your best bowlers right now and try to bowl them out

If you dont bowl them out and the overs of the front line bowlers are finished then go to the part timers. Doesnt matter who is bowlling because run rate required would be 20+ easily and a defeat would be impossible

He is a defensive captain , always worried about the death overs.

This game shouldnt have come to 36th over let alone the death overs.

You can have attacking field even for part timers. Very defensive field for UAE when they are pretty much out of this game.

Misbah probably wants to play full 50 overs but finishing the game early will increase the RR for Pakistan.

I wonder what will he do against south africa , probably have them 50 for 3 and then have sohaib and haris bowl.

Why would mods merge the thread?

This was a very specific thread on a specific tactic being employed.

doesnt make a lot of sense

You can have attacking field even for part timers. Very defensive field for UAE when they are pretty much out of this game.

Misbah probably wants to play full 50 overs but finishing the game early will increase the RR for Pakistan.

Hi Buffet, do you realize why I said that just 1 change (MSD as Captain) 'll make this PAK team a totally different unit.

This obsolete Captain & Coach is just killing PAK Cricket.

why arent wahab, afridi or sohail bowling? or even rahat

Afridi has bowled 8 overs Rahat his bowling his 7th.

You do know that a bowler can ball a maximam of 10 overs in an ODI game, right?

In the last match his captaincy reduced the win margin from 50 odd to mere 20 and todays its going to cost around 50 more.

Love Misbah. But this is getting ridiculous. He needs to trust his bowling line up and go for the jugular every game.

Hi Buffet, do you realize why I said that just 1 change (MSD as Captain) 'll make this PAK team a totally different unit.

You have a point.

MSD loves his part timers too though

I remember he bowled Rohit ahead of Ashwin when we needed to win with big margin in WT20 2012 match v SA

He got 5 overs out of Sohaib, He had to as Irfan is not going to bowl. Rest of the bowlers will get their quota. What;s with you kids complaining all the time?

He got 5 overs out of Sohaib, He had to as Irfan is not going to bowl. Rest of the bowlers will get their quota. What;s with you kids complaining all the time?

If you are watching the match you will understand. I have seen your posts and i am not suprised that you feel the need to defend your hero but others like to speak about cricket without defending/attacking certain players, just for the sake of hating them, but instead to talk about the actual cricket being played.

If you are watching the match you will understand. I have seen your posts and i am not suprised that you feel the need to defend your hero but others like to speak about cricket without defending/attacking certain players, just for the sake of hating them, but instead to talk about the actual cricket being played.

Seriously even I don't understand your post. Two bowler injured so your advise is to bowl out all the others remaining? Any captain in the world would bowl part timers

Seriously even I don't understand your post. Two bowler injured so your advise is to bowl out all the others remaining? Any captain in the world would bowl part timers

Exactly what I said to this guy above... Thank you for clarifying it to him :)

No one is saying anything about not bowling part timers, but the field settings in this match have been pathetic, as has been picked up by every commentator that has been on air. But of course, the Misbah defenders on PP always know better.

Back