The Misbah-ul-Haq Captaincy Analysis Thread

Worst captaincy era where Pakistan

Defeated England 3-0 in tests
First subcontinent team to defeat South Africa in ODI 2-1
Chased 300 in two sessions to draw a series against Sri Lanka being the first team to chase 300 in two sessions.
Drew 1-1 against South Africa in tests in UAE (one of the top teams of the world in tests).
Helped Pakistan reach highest ever test ranking of 3.
Won the Asia Cup.
Reached the Finals of the Second Asia Cup.

Hmm, perhaps not the best, worst? :13:

Blind hatred can only go so far.

We were ranked Number 1 under Imran and may have been ranked number 2 under Inzi for a brief period but I could be wrong.

You are not wrong. We were ranked 2 in both ODIs and Tests in the Inzi-Woolmer era.

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] [MENTION=43242]Dr_Bassim[/MENTION] Sir misbah done good job as captain but what is this????

lost T20 series against England(2-1)
lost Odi series against England(4-0)
lost Odi series against Sri Lanka(3-1)
lost Odi series against Australia(3-1)
lost Odi series against South Africa(3-2)
lost the all matches of Champions Trophy(3-0)
lost one day match against Zimbabwe
match tied against Ireland
lost Odi series against South Africa(4-1)
lost test series against South Africa(3-0)
lost test match against unranked team Zimbabwe
series result 1-1

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] [MENTION=43242]Dr_Bassim[/MENTION] Sir misbah done good job as captain but what is this????

lost T20 series against England(2-1)
lost Odi series against England(4-0)
lost Odi series against Sri Lanka(3-1)
lost Odi series against Australia(3-1)
lost Odi series against South Africa(3-2)
lost the all matches of Champions Trophy(3-0)
lost one day match against Zimbabwe
match tied against Ireland
lost Odi series against South Africa(4-1)
lost test series against South Africa(3-0)
lost test match against unranked team Zimbabwe
series result 1-1

Did I say it was best ever?

But not worst ever either as some posters are trying to make out.

It was an okay tenure , with some positives and some negatives, but the major positive was the ability of the team to gel together as controversy free and stay united.

I think that counts for a lot in the volatile Pakistani dressing room politics as it usually is.

It was an okay tenure , with some positives and some negatives, but the major positive was the ability of the team to gel together as controversy free and stay united.

I think that counts for a lot in the volatile Pakistani dressing room politics as it usually is.

agreed with this. misbah done decent job for us but time has come he should resign from test captaincy

Imran Khan can take over.

He will produce the next Wasim with the magic wand out of Junaid Khan.

you know that i agree misbah needs to go from captaincy if the team is too move forward, but who will replace him if he is axed tomorrow?

This is what comes under making difficult decisions. You dont not make decisions just because they are difficult.

This is what comes under making difficult decisions. You dont not make decisions just because they are difficult.

Perhaps you can call the PCB and suggest a few names you think that PCB can consider for captaincy.

Since you are able to understand those difficult decisions much better than poor less blessed us.

I don't buy this "no replacement so no change" rubbish. You should look for improvement and not just stick with rubbish. Misbah's time is up and he needs to go.

You should keep on looking. It is not like we are winning under Misbah. The new captain can manage just as well, I am sure.

regardless of what we do it will be a difficult decision.

My best possible suggestion is to make Sarfraz vice captain or if we are really desperate captain if he has a good series against Aus

Otherwise who do we have to be captain if misbah is sacked tommorow ? Sarfraz even then is probably the best choice

dont want YK he will probably reject it anway

sad thing is :hafeez would seem a decent choice , but there a fair few players that deserve a chance before him

I might be tempted to try Azhar Ali. He's not going away any time soon, is experienced and the right age. What will change after the NZ series?

The likes of Fawad and Sarfraz aren't getting captaincy any time soon and there are no other potential candidates apart from Azhar/Asad.

I might be tempted to try Azhar Ali. He's not going away any time soon, is experienced and the right age. What will change after the NZ series?

The likes of Fawad and Sarfraz aren't getting captaincy any time soon and there are no other potential candidates apart from Azhar/Asad.

Sarfraz has a decent chance as long as Moin is around IMO

Azhar's spot always seems to be in peril and he is a poor mans misbah in every way

I forgot about Hafeez. He can slot in the middle order post YK and Misbah, along with Haris.

Azhar and Asad can make way for Fawad and Umar respectively but I doubt that will happen. I am not high on Fawad but I like the idea of him becoming the new consolidator.

Boss likes Sarfraz, but I think it's too early to talk about captaincy.

a crazy idea is too dump Misbah now from the team , tell him to concentrate on the world cup and replace him with professor

Thats harsh and basically an injustice to many, i dont really like it , but it may work

Perhaps you can call the PCB and suggest a few names you think that PCB can consider for captaincy.

Since you are able to understand those difficult decisions much better than poor less blessed us.

With pleasure. I would tell them anyone except for Misbah ul Haq from now on.

If Umar Akmal had been playing from 3 years, he would have been a good choice. He is a dedicated and passionate player; total team man.:yk2

Hafeez would have made a good middle order all-rounder but I am afraid that we have to move on. I don't want to go back to him.

He is a fantastic LOI all-rounder and he should concentrate on LOIs.

With pleasure. I would tell them anyone except for Misbah ul Haq from now on.

Thank you for helping us all out with our difficult decision.

That tells me you know nothing about who should be captain, just as PCB have no idea either.

But you want change for the sake of change.

Thank you for helping us all out with our difficult decision.

That tells me you know nothing about who should be captain, just as PCB have no idea either.

But you want change for the sake of change.

Why not? How much worse can we do than we are currently doing?

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

Push me a name ...

I am all for it.

PCB should take difficult decisions, and they never have in the past so I don't think they will.

But I'd like you to take difficult decisions because you are ready for them.

So, push me a name.

1. They could quit and runaway with their tail between their legs mid-series.

2. Pull out of matches because of genital warts.

Push me a name ...

I am all for it.

PCB should take difficult decisions, and they never have in the past so I don't think they will.

So, push me a name.

You already know the name.

I have come to the conclusion that listening to the Afriestrogen cheerleaders is like watching Fox News. When a Democrat is president they bash him for everything in the name of patriotism. Once a Republican comes in to the White House the rules change.

So once Afridi replaces Misbah suddenly all the issues they have with the team will be gone and even though Afridi will commit the same "mistakes" as Misbah, they will be overlooked, in fact they will be praised on most occasions.

Push me a name ...

I am all for it.

So, push me a name.

Umar Akmal. Asad Shafiq . Ahmed Shehzad we have options but they lack one thing..all of them aren't 30+ and don't tuk tuk enough to fulfill your criteria

Umar Akmal. Asad Shafiq . Ahmed Shehzad we have options but they lack one thing..all of them aren't 30+ and don't tuk tuk enough to fulfill your criteria

Umar Akmal is not even in the test team yet.

Asad Shafiq looks like he has scored his one 75 for the whole series.

Shehzad could be a possible candidate but I think with his technique he will really struggle against swinging ball and spin bowling.

Now make a choice.

Which of these youngster's career you want to risk :D ?

Contrary to popular belief, Shehzad is even more immature than Umar Akmal.

Umar Akmal is not even in the test team yet.

Asad Shafiq looks like he has scored his one 75 for the whole series.

Shehzad could be a possible candidate but I think with his technique he will really struggle against swinging ball and spin bowling.

Now make a choice.

Which of these youngster's career you want to risk :D ?

Umar Akmal should never have been dropped. He averaged in the 40s on a very tough WI tour before being made a scapegoat for Zim tour. The great guy you keep defending on preferred likes of Azhar,Faisal and Hafeez instead of backing a youngster. Umar's biggest mistake was he was a positive player..had he played like Azhar he would never have been dropped.

Asad Shafiq has bailed us twice in this series from a collapse. At least he has scored double numbers of runs than the unreplaceable batsman or captain..yes he has been inconsistent but he has proved when going gets tough he delivers..Salman Butt wasn't consistent enough too when he was given charge of test side. But he played a match winning knock to draw the series chasing against Aus..sometimes captaincy can give you much needed confidence. .and I believe Asad is one of those players that can really excel even better if they are captain..He is decent option for captain.

Ahmed Shehzad's technique isn't too bad..He has been scoring many runs in last 18 months with the same technique..If you can score a hundred against SA in SA in a pressure game your technique must be good. He is good.

I don't think captaincy will risk their careers. There aren't too many seniors around to bother them. Plus if they are made captains then it should be for a good period of time at least two years.

It's not great to keep finding excuses to keep Misbah captain. It's enough..how long do you think can Misbah go?1 year?2 years at max? That is he isn't failing with the bat and not making tactical blunders anhmore..I guess even many of Misbah fans have given up on him..Many are defending him because they hate Afridi and Malik. They are scared if he goes one of them might comeback to lead this team again..other tban that not too many fans are in favor of Misbah.They have moved on..It's about time we thinm outside the box and appoint some younger player as captain. With Misbah we are going nowhere..why not try some ither options?

Umar Akmal should never have been dropped. He averaged in the 40s on a very tough WI tour before being made a scapegoat for Zim tour. The great guy you keep defending on preferred likes of Azhar,Faisal and Hafeez instead of backing a youngster. Umar's biggest mistake was he was a positive player..had he played like Azhar he would never have been dropped.

Asad Shafiq has bailed us twice in this series from a collapse. At least he has scored double numbers of runs than the unreplaceable batsman or captain..yes he has been inconsistent but he has proved when going gets tough he delivers..Salman Butt wasn't consistent enough too when he was given charge of test side. But he played a match winning knock to draw the series chasing against Aus..sometimes captaincy can give you much needed confidence. .and I believe Asad is one of those players that can really excel even better if they are captain..He is decent option for captain.

Ahmed Shehzad's technique isn't too bad..He has been scoring many runs in last 18 months with the same technique..If you can score a hundred against SA in SA in a pressure game your technique must be good. He is good.

I don't think captaincy will risk their careers. There aren't too many seniors around to bother them. Plus if they are made captains then it should be for a good period of time at least two years.

It's not great to keep finding excuses to keep Misbah captain. It's enough..how long do you think can Misbah go?1 year?2 years at max? That is he isn't failing with the bat and not making tactical blunders anhmore..I guess even many of Misbah fans have given up on him..Many are defending him because they hate Afridi and Malik. They are scared if he goes one of them might comeback to lead this team again..other tban that not too many fans are in favor of Misbah.They have moved on..It's about time we thinm outside the box and appoint some younger player as captain. With Misbah we are going nowhere..why not try some ither options?

True.

I am not a major Misbah fan.

But when I see Afridi replacing Misbah, one failure over another, than no thanks I'd rather stick to Misbah.

If PCB promises to blood someone else as captain, I am willing to try out new faces.

But if it's Afridi I'd rather stick to Misbah.

Excellent captaincy.

The use of Wahab particularly has been IMPRESSIVE.

Don't even have Junaid at his disposal but doing a great job.

I hope for Misbah's sake riaz is sore or something because replacing him with Abdur Rehman is really stupid.

Even Shezhad looks more threatening than Abdur Rehman

He knows the ability of his players, he was smart to hold off on taking the new ball.

Should bowl Riaz more and Rehman less.

he did exactly what prasad wanted by removing Riaz :facepalm:

Its hard to justify his continued support of Abdur Rehman this game

He knows the ability of his players, he was smart to hold off on taking the new ball.

Exactly. Old ball and Wahab giving dividends!

That reverse swinging full toss was amazing. Old ball.

he did exactly what prasad wanted by removing Riaz :facepalm:

Its hard to justify his continued support of Abdur Rehman this game

but he can't even remove the tailenders. This is why Misbah hasn't been successful. He prefers his buddies records over Pakistan's wins.

Lol, nice dig :))
A dig? It's called stating fact... :facepalm:

Maybe I should change my flag for my opinion to be held valid and fair here.

[MENTION=136108]Donal Cozzie[/MENTION] this is what you get for being impartial here :))

Last edited:
A dig? It's called stating fact... :facepalm:

Maybe I should change my flag for my opinion to be held valid and fair here.
A dig can be a fact. It was a dig because you indirectly called Pakistans new ball attack crap.

I didn't call them 'crap' I just mean't they don't make use of the new ball, hence it would have been stupid to give Mathews a new ball to play with.

I didn't call them 'crap' I just mean't they don't make use of the new ball, hence it would have been stupid to give Mathews a new ball to play with.
Even if you did, I'm not gonna disagree. A new ball pair of Abdur Rehman and Wahab Riaz is hardly threatening.

Quality Batsman with Positive thinking capacity just succumbed after a hard fought mighty innings of 3. Well done. This Guy can definitely get us Test championshipship 2017 and Offcourse Not to mention about WC 2015 !!

Some brilliant tactics being employed by the captain.

Particularly targeting Warner by the unusual leg slip and bowling in areas to keep him under pressure.

Excellent field setup.

This is what you call aggression + strategy ;)

even umar akmal involved in some controversy for not letting kamran play in a test match i reckon in australia or england...

Team looks united and full of energy today.
They seem to have a plan and set strategy for each Aussie player and it's working.

Use of bowlers and field setup restricting them to a chase-able score, unless someone gets a phainta in last 4 overs..

#PakvAus Test series: Misbah ul Haq captaincy analysis

What is Misbah thinking spreading the field with a lead of over 250, a new batsman on the crease and to top it off half an hour before lunch. Just when our spinners were beginning to settle Misbah for whatever reason started giving away easy runs by pushing out the field. Really poor strategy. Also taking Zulfi out when he was looking the most threatening is really baffling.

I think he has been decent, can't blame him for setting the field back when he has a green attack and warner is in the form of his life.

Apart from that people know misbah is defensive, why do they still get surprised?

I think he could have bowled Yasir more, but then again a defensive captain would he less trusting of a leggy

After all the talk about spin and reverse swing....he takes a new ball on a dead track at the first chance he gets.

Odd captaincy unless Warner bashed the hell out of that ball. Still, older ball would be better for spin...

OP seems to have a Misbah agenda...first the bouncers thread now this.

Captaincy has been good so no wonder this thread doesn't have many posts. The vultures are circling and waiting for the right moment to attack.

I can't see how you could possibly attack him for his captaincy this match

Captaincy has been good so no wonder this thread doesn't have many posts. The vultures are circling and waiting for the right moment to attack.

Or they are probably tired of repeating things that have been said 1000k times before resulting in no change whatsoever. .

I'm quite happy with Misbah's captaincy in this game. Misbah's main problem is he seems to love his spinners, which works against sides that struggle vs spin. That's why Misbah's captaincy was so hopeless vs SL...

Back