The Misbah-ul-Haq Captaincy Analysis Thread

Senior bowlers like Afridi always choose their own field.

Pakistan will not win by defending. Misbah has to have slips in place al all times. Clueless captaincy by Misbah.

His captaincy is neither here, nor there. Too many times bowlers have bailed him out so his fans can call him the next Imran.

He does not have enough good bowlers at his disposal. Look at the percentage of short deliveries by our quick bowlers. Must be more than 60 percent.

He may as well bowl himself, couldn't be worse than these pacers.

Why to play Sharjeel today ? he has been poor specially against Malinga
Dont know on what basis they select the team complete brainless selection
Misbahs's love with Gul is :facepalm:

His captaincy + his batting will be the major factor if Pakistan lose this match. He batted at 66 strike rate :facepalm:. And he did not take slip which results in Pakistan not getting 2 wickets :facepalm:

IF some of you guys have knowledge of cricket a captain doesnt only set the field but senior bowlers like Gul Afridi Hafeez etc set their own...

IF some of you guys have knowledge of cricket a captain doesnt only set the field but senior bowlers like Gul Afridi Hafeez etc set their own...

So hes a passive captain then which is not what pakistan needs. we need an active aggressive captain
All he had to do was say..

afridi.. you can have whatever field you want.. but im giving you a slip because we have a new batsman.

thats it.

He doesn't select his own playing 11
He doesn't select field

What is he there for?

But misbians are very fast to give him credits for wins

Shouldn't the credits go to inviduals rather then the captain?

Double standard at its best

should have chased very bad decision , this pitch is very easy to chase

Makes no difference when your bowlers bowl like this

No it does. When you know you have to get 300 you have no choice. Batting first you think whatever total you can get is fine. This track is pathetic really.

Misbah aimed for 220-230, he really lacks any intention.

I'd rather lose going all out, then put up a decent total and blame it on the top order, saying you had to consolidate.

No it does. When you know you have to get 300 you have no choice. Batting first you think whatever total you can get is fine. This track is pathetic really.

Misbah aimed for 220-230, he really lacks any intention.

I'd rather lose going all out, then put up a decent total and blame it on the top order, saying you had to consolidate.

No, he told Fawad at 18/3 that there's no need to worry, if we bat through we can make 230+ and defend it.

That's not aiming for 230, that's the captain trying to settle the nerves of a young player that has just been recalled to the team.

it has to be said misbahs been poor in setting fields today His bowlers and fielders havent helped him one little bit as well

Had a shocker today imo. Had been doing quite well with his tactics and change of bowlers recently but today everything was so reactive. Really disappointing.

The Misbah-ul-Haq Captaincy Analysis Thread [Merged]

says the guy who bashes Misbah 24/7 and praises only Afridi, and then says mohali will never be forgotten

Agree. Hypocrisy is ripe.

No, he told Fawad at 18/3 that there's no need to worry, if we bat through we can make 230+ and defend it.

That's not aiming for 230, that's the captain trying to settle the nerves of a young player that has just been recalled to the team.

Fawad himself said they aimed for 220-230 from Misbah.

Spin it whatever way you want, I don't think if Misbah stayed we would have made 250.

Again I'm not hating on Misbah, he's simply very limited. He looks a lot better when we collapse because he knows how to stay at the crease. He doesn't take risks, which is fine, but eventually you have to say if we need to win this match I need to play differently.

When we win it has in the past year almost always been despite Misbah. It is because he plays too slow whereas others keep the RR at least decent.

3 wickets gone after 25 overs and your RR is less than 3? You better make up for it. Fawad is to blame for that as well, but he made up for it.

Like I've said we didn't lose because of Misbah, but he was a key reason why we will not win.

I don't know why there can't be a middle ground with him. Yes the top failed, I'm not hiding that fact but one knows at one stage that this pitch is xyz this is how many runs I should make. I don't care if you don't trust UA, it's about winning the match and if he was aiming for 220-230 he should know on this pitch that will never be enough. Again after 25 overs if he got out I wouldn't be mad, you have to do something at some time. At least take some risk.

It's poor captaincy.

Fawad himself said they aimed for 220-230 from Misbah.

"We were in trouble but me and Misbah built a partnership"

"Misbah told me to stay at the wicket and that if we can score 230+ it would a be a good total"

"We were in trouble but me and Misbah built a partnership"

"Misbah told me to stay at the wicket and that if we can score 230+ it would a be a good total"

And what exactly are you insinuating? That to me shows Misbah thought even a score below 250 might have been good enough when it clearly wasn't close.

You can say he was just keeping Fawad relaxed but again knowing how Misbah plays, he probably meant that.

Take it as you will.

Tactical Mistakes by Misbah

I felt that a few tactical mistakes by Misbah today cost us the game.

1. Misbah assessed the pitch incorrectly and was aiming for a score of 220-230 as we heard in the Fawad Alam interview. Once 3 early wickets had gone down, the two batsmen went completely into their shell for around 30 overs. They should have shown a little more urgency. Two fifties by Misbah in this series, both in a losing cause. He bats too slow. Another stat that Misbah contributes to only 12% of the score when Pakistan wins. Thats only around 30 runs in a 250 score - not what you expect from a top batsmen who should be leading from the front.

2. Not having a slip. Twice batsmen nicked the ball straight through the first slip region and misbah reacted after the incident by placing a slip. He has to be more proactive.

3. Wasting the new ball by using 2 spinners within the first 10 overs when you have 3 pacers in the side.

Last edited:
Turning point was Misbah not getting run out early. Must be tactics of Sri Lanka

We all know now what are his strengths and weakness not sure what more can we analyze

Shows how out of touch Misbah is with the one day game.

Senior bowlers like Afridi always choose their own field.

regular fields, not slips and other attacking positions. You'd think Misbah will allow Afridi to have slips at the start of his spell everytime? I doubt it !

He doesn't understand ODI cricket, never has. He has spread the field so many times over the years, giving the opposition free runs and relying on lbws and bowleds.

His bowlers let him down badly today though. Hard to set fields when they're bowling both sides of the wicket.

What he said to Fawad was utter Rubbish! very reason why we don't crawl back to our hole if we lose early wickets.

For a limited cricketer who can't score an ODI hundred in 133 innings, Misbah has the most loyal fanbase. People think Fawad is overrated by his fans, but those people are nowhere to be seen now.

I have nothing against Misbah, and i think his innings yesterday was half decent but his loyal fans used to talk about how he would come in tough situations and have to consolidate, bats at 5 etc etc. thats why he cant score a 100. Fawad Alam came and hit a 100 at number 5 comfortably. Misbah gets a slow start and that is fine if you can make up for it, the problem is he gets out. 50 is a good score but not if it comes at 65s/r. Fawad was at a similar pace but he went on to increase his rate to 85 and anchored the innings.

Pick your game up Misbah, for the sake of the team.

I have nothing against Misbah, and i think his innings yesterday was half decent but his loyal fans used to talk about how he would come in tough situations and have to consolidate, bats at 5 etc etc. thats why he cant score a 100. Fawad Alam came and hit a 100 at number 5 comfortably. Misbah gets a slow start and that is fine if you can make up for it, the problem is he gets out. 50 is a good score but not if it comes at 65s/r. Fawad was at a similar pace but he went on to increase his rate to 85 and anchored the innings.

Pick your game up Misbah, for the sake of the team.

At 18-3, I was thinking it's the best opportunity for both Misbah and Fawwad to score their maiden century. I also knew which one actually would.

What I have said before still stands today.

1.Misbah gives away too many easy singles.
2.No slips.
3.Does not attack the new batsman,but gives him an easy single to get off the mark.

What I have said before still stands today.

1.Misbah gives away too many easy singles.
2.No slips.
3.Does not attack the new batsman,but gives him an easy single to get off the mark.
Misbah should play some International cricket captain to grasp the basic concepts of captaincy. He will be able to see the visual bar of how vulnerable a new batsman is compared to once he's settled.

It's amazing how he religiously believes in "get your eye in first" approach when he bats, but for opposition he sets a field like they would come in and slog. Doesn't score singles himself, but allows opposition batsmen to do from ball one.

Ball is soft, pitch is dead. I wouldn't mind seeing a field packed to one side and just bowl wide of the stumps for 10 overs, try and bore the batsmen into playing a silly shot against the spinners.

Thankfully he has only a year left max than we will get a new captain, Very boring 4 years it has been with him as captain.

Woefully defensive field placing. Both Tharanga and Mahela are uncomfortable against Ajmal but he's letting them of the hook.

Biggest loser of this game along with Rehman but defenders gonna defend of course.

Axe him! Axe him! Axe him!

It it wasn't for this idiot, our batsmen wouldn't have played that slowly. Pathetic, defensive phattu!!!!!!!!!

Pathetic field placements and tactics. Very disappointed with Waqar aswell. If he was commentating right now he'd be saying all the right stuff but put him there in the hot seat and it's the same stuff over and over again.

Misbah is still thinking he can draw this match by putting fielders on the boundary.

Misbah has been mediocre with the bat and his captaincy has been poor in this Test. First the team goal to bat out for a draw was never gonna work with our batsmen. Plus after seeing how positive cricket worked in Sharjah dont see why Misbah has reverted back to these tactics

Very bad mentality on day 5. I have not watched the game fully so i cannot comment on his captaincy. But for the love of God why our batsmen chasing a lead of 70 odd need to block as if we are 300 runs behind is bemusing to anyone.

As soon as 1 guy started playing aggressive counter attacking batsmen Sri Lanka looked confused. Some changes must be made for next tests. Will get an immediate result i am sure of that. But for long term benefit of pakistan we really need to get the kick back into our game. Its been gone for far to long.

Today Misbah and Management got the day completely wrong !

Very bad mentality on day 5. I have not watched the game fully so i cannot comment on his captaincy. But for the love of God why our batsmen chasing a lead of 70 odd need to block as if we are 300 runs behind is bemusing to anyone.

As soon as 1 guy started playing aggressive counter attacking batsmen Sri Lanka looked confused. Some changes must be made for next tests. Will get an immediate result i am sure of that. But for long term benefit of pakistan we really need to get the kick back into our game. Its been gone for far to long.

Today Misbah and Management got the day completely wrong !

Misbah is a stubborn captqin..he will never admit he is wrong.

Last edited:
Honestly, we should go try and go all out defensive for a couple of overs. Set a leg side field with Rehman bowling outside leg stump and force them to reverse sweep and hit inside out.

Honestly, we should go try and go all out defensive for a couple of overs. Set a leg side field with Rehman bowling outside leg stump and force them to reverse sweep and hit inside out.

Wickets are must to slow down the pace and you have to have 1st slip when your best pacer is bowling.

Wickets are must to slow down the pace and you have to have 1st slip when your best pacer is bowling.

Wicket is too flat to trouble the batsmen. Only way we will get wickets is if the batsmen make mistakes trying to force the ball through gaps or over the top. It's extremely unlikely that we'll see an unplayable delivery from any bowler.

Junaid is mixing it up trying to bowl a wicket taking delivery and he's getting hammered all over the ground.

See, Sanga gone trying to slog a ball he should have just cut normally. Stem the runs and make the batsmen attack on a slow wicket.

Time to review an appeal even if it isn't out just so DRS can waste a little bit more time and hope rain turns up.

Misbah is a stubborn captqin..he will never admit he is wrong.

Hmm i think you are right, You see this a lot with Dhoni as well both are very stubborn in their beliefs but i think you need that to be a captain you can't be an armchair. Dhoni obviously has won everything to win in cricket and can basically be a mahraj if he wants.

But Misbah will always be persecuted by Pak fans for those 2 innings he played, i believe a lot of bad bite comes from that. On top of his captaincy which at times is very dull. So i understand why he a bit stubborn. BUT he really needs to accept at times critics are right, he and management got it wrong today. I am always an optimistic i believe that eventually we will turn it around and that this loss will slowly force us to playing some positive cricket. But if that 300 chase against Sri Lanak in the dark doesn't make u believe i am not sure what will.

Final point misbah and management have to become one, get a unit that can take 20 wickets we clearly have seen todays united could not get 20 wickets. Talha seems like a lovely person, and like i said i have not seen the entire 5 days but i never thought id see the day an opening bowler for Pak in test cricket is bowling 120 with no movement no nothing, at times he looked half hearted at best.

And iMO i want another batsmen in the team id move Ali to open because for me he has not kicked on at all, i understand the blocking approach but for a number 3 you have to block see off the danger and then capitalise. He's plays with a straight bat and has a good technique id move him to open bring in a young gun for the number 3 spot. I am not sure Fawad technique is perfect but he has scored runs, its between him Harris or Umar. Umar has brain shut downs and can be a liability but none is perfect and its time we start planning for the future. And Harris scores year on year in domestic circles.

My rant done for the day, very disappointing performance but the manner in which we are going down is harder to swallow. (Could still win) at this moment

Last edited:
need to put his thinking cap ASAP field placing should be accurate no let offs this time :corleone

This Guy cannot think outside to make tough decisions nor will we ever try to change his negative mindset. Keeps on persisting with Rehman and Wahab even if they are contributing zero for the team.

One of the Worst captaincy era Pakistan ever had.

Worst captaincy era where Pakistan

Defeated England 3-0 in tests
First subcontinent team to defeat South Africa in ODI 2-1
Chased 300 in two sessions to draw a series against Sri Lanka being the first team to chase 300 in two sessions.
Drew 1-1 against South Africa in tests in UAE (one of the top teams of the world in tests).
Helped Pakistan reach highest ever test ranking of 3.
Won the Asia Cup.
Reached the Finals of the Second Asia Cup.

Hmm, perhaps not the best, worst? :13:

Blind hatred can only go so far.

Chased 300 in two sessions to draw a series against Sri Lanka being the first team to chase 300 in two sessions.
Drew 1-1 against South Africa in tests in UAE (one of the top teams of the world in tests).
Won the Asia Cup.

He is one of Misbah haters and you can't get anywhere with them.

Won the Asia Cup.

No reply to this post as expected.

Back