The Misbah-ul-Haq Captaincy Analysis Thread

questionable bowling changes but decent so far. I have very low expectations from his captaincy so to me he looked good. Was more attacking when it came to field set.

Last edited:
Or they are probably tired of repeating things that have been said 1000k times before resulting in no change whatsoever. .

We are all broken records here, but that isn't the point.

The captaincy has been quite alright. Only decision I didn't like was that he pushed the fielders back after just a couple of hits from Haddin.

Or they are probably tired of repeating things that have been said 1000k times before resulting in no change whatsoever. .

True!! No matter how bad he performs Or how pathetic his captaincy is, He has big hands in PCB to safeguard his position. So complaining again and again for the same awfulness he makes , doesn't change a thing in this mediocre set up.

On field Captaincy was definately good in the test match, he attacked with his bowling resources and had slips for the batsmen

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

What is Misbah thinking spreading the field with a lead of over 250, a new batsman on the crease and to top it off half an hour before lunch. Just when our spinners were beginning to settle Misbah for whatever reason started giving away easy runs by pushing out the field. Really poor strategy. Also taking Zulfi out when he was looking the most threatening is really baffling.

just noticed your signature?

huh? what is tha tall about?

Misbah was good after lunch, kept positive field and gave the bowlers some leeway, I think the talk with the coaching staff really set him straight. Good day overall for Misbah and Pakistan.

The only negative note in the afternoon session was immediately spreading the field as soon as Haddin hit a couple of boundaries. Needs to trusts his spin bowlers more.

Last edited:
Misbah' style of captaincy is suited to the runs on board approach he would have been tested had we scored 280 odd

Shakaiti tattoo. :shaq

Were you one of those annoying guys in class who'd tell the teacher that this/that kid is cheating?

well if he did tell the teacher it would be a good thing: cheating should never be encouraged!

he rather seems the type to remind the teacher to take the quiz 5 minutes before the lecture is off :D

well if he did tell the teacher it would be a good thing: cheating should never be encouraged!

he rather seems the type to remind the teacher to take the quiz 5 minutes before the lecture is off :D

Both types of students are annoying. :tyrion

On field Captaincy was definately good in the test match, he attacked with his bowling resources and had slips for the batsmen

This post is so rare. I think I should make it my signature :yk2

Captain Pakistan #Respect...

What can we say about him ?

Now that the time of his retirement draws near,I am already missing him.His record and official achievements are not really what he deserved.He should have got better,probably let down somewhat by factors beyond his control.

Misbah`s story is closer to real life-a romance,a tragedy,full of highs and lows and a fighting spirit behind the cool and calm facade.He is not your typical lived-happily-ever-after-and-was-supremely-talented kind of ATG but he is a remarkable personality.His career demonstrates what it is to be just like one of the nameless,nothing-special kind of players and use your mental strength to grind it out,to rise above your limitations and give your best.This,folks,is true courage-not swinging like a rusty gate:afridi2 or placing 'aggressive' fields.True,he is not the sharpest tool in the box but he is one who quietly impresses friend and foe alike.

He will remain unfazed by whatever you throw at him.Fate dishes him out a loss and he takes it well,fate gives him a win,he takes it more modestly than any other.You bowl at him a half volley or an in-swinging yorker , he shrugs it away with a Tuk :misbah.

When Pakistan`s batting would collapse like a deck of cards,Misbah the Cool would walk in, anchor the ship and give the score some respectability-all would go thanklessly down the drain as Pakistan faced defeat after defeat.That was when he was in form.Recently he lost it and was having a bad patch,which did jeopardize Pakistan`s chances of winning some matches.He has worked hard to regain it in the Test series and I am impressed how he came back.The true worth of a person only shines by how well he behaves in adversity.

Speaking of adversity,Misbah stepped up as captain after that great scandal in Pak cricket.Their captain and two strike bowlers were guilty of spot fixing and hence banned and the team was thrown into turmoil and disgrace.It was his steady hand that gave Pakistan cricket some respectability and kept it realistically in competition with stronger sides.

Misbah earns a lot of flak for his captaincy and most of it is justified as well but let me remind you that in this case there is no good guy or bad guy.Ego and favoritism are the last things on his mind-he simply does what he feels to be right and that is more honorable than any 100m six some 16 year olds can hit. Captaining Pakistan is not a walk in the park-uneasy lies the head that wears the crown.Coach,former captain,players,PP analysts... are all out to get you-it is a wolf pack.Yet Misbah stands firm.
No flamboyance and last second heroics from this guy-these are simply not his forte.He is the quite,unthanked performer who can very conveniently be made the scapegoat. Remember that T20 vs Eng in UAE ? Last ball,6 runs needed to win (KP had hit a last ball 6 off cheema in their innings).Misbah was on strike and Jade Dernbach bowled I don`t remember what but Misbah had a hoick at it and clittry clattry went the stumps and up went the stadium.Such an incident is morally crushing but Misbah rose above it and I doubt if anybody even thinks about it any more.

And he still has to score his maiden century.His best score of 96 vs the Windies was in a lost cause.He could even have got himself a century and posted a better score which could have won us the match,but fate was not with him.He was batting with a guy who like this with a bat in his hand ::irfan Pak were bowled out for ~170 and Misbah remained not out on 96.

All stories are not fairy tales and all men are not born heroes.No one is perfect and there is no concept of good guy and bad guy in reality.It is your honesty and quite determination and your goodwill of heart that sets you apart form others.cricket will have a hard time producing another Misbah-ul-Haq.

Truly worthy of being called captain...Captain Pakistan.

I can't see how you could possibly attack him for his captaincy this match

Hilarious isn't it? His captaincy has been spot on, weather the storm and then take the opportunity when it presents. Has protected the confidence of his young spinners by giving them cover in the field and juggled what is by Pakistan standards a C grade attack with skill. And Pakistan are winning the game.

So PP starts a hate thread ::J

Surprisingly enough, has shown aggressive intent with his fielding positions and didn't go over the top either. Hopefully he can translate his success here into his ODI captaincy as well, if he wants to finish on a high.

need to up the scoring rate today

Pakistan have to start scoring quickly to be able to have a good total and have enough overs to bowl at Australia. This pitch is not unplayable so we will need at least 120 overs or 4 sessions to bowl at Australia. So have to score at at least 4 runs per over to give them a target of 400 or over.

Hilarious isn't it? His captaincy has been spot on, weather the storm and then take the opportunity when it presents. Has protected the confidence of his young spinners by giving them cover in the field and juggled what is by Pakistan standards a C grade attack with skill. And Pakistan are winning the game.

So PP starts a hate thread ::J

Lol this is a online forum not everyone will have the same opinion, this is a captaincy analysis thread it doesn't have to be all negative or positive its created so people can share their views on Misbah's captaincy throughout the series like you have here. I am anything but a fan of Misbah but this is far from a hate thread.

see.gif

Misbah on his way to conquer another #1 side.

England, SA and now Aus.

And now this is with a completely inexperienced bowling attack.

I agree. Very different approach from Misbah.

Off topic but where the did [MENTION=2344]W63L35[/MENTION] go? He and his colourful stats have completely disappeared from PP. :))

Off topic but where the did [MENTION=2344]W63L35[/MENTION] go? He and his colourful stats have completely disappeared from PP. :))

It's just one test match. We won the first test against SA to last year, we all know how the proteas responded in the second test. I expect a no less reaction from the Aussies

It's just one test match. We won the first test against SA to last year, we all know how the proteas responded in the second test. I expect a no less reaction from the Aussies

I agree with you there.

He's been posting on PP today, he's just forgotten that there is a cricket section.

Don't worry, I'm sure he will remember that Pakistan are playing once Australia win the second test.

He has led a 3-0 sweep against No. 1 side, 1-1 next year again No. 1 & on his way to 1-0 (may be 2-0) again No. 1 side. Also, has won ODI series in IND & SAF - must be ticking a lot of correct box. However, his general approach is safety first - most of his Test wins are on absolute result wicket - you play 5 days, better side 'll win. I don't see Misbah forcing lot many results. I don't expect anything out of box from Misbah, extremely predictable, but a good steady head, tremendous personality & a role model off the field & in front of media.

Apart from leading the side after the August '10 events, Misbah's greatest contribution to the team had been the introduction of new players. It was unthinkable that a PAK side 'll have so many new faces - KAkmal, Malik, Farhat, Hafeez were almost given a free ride. This was one major reason why there had been hardly any accountability among the players. Another contribution is the new found fitness & fielding regime - Misbah himself a fitness fanatic & making life difficult for training bunkers.

Schooled Michael Clarke in the captaincy department.

Aggressive captaincy is overhyped.

His captaincy has been good this series, but it was due because he has been extremely flat for more than a year.

i, for one, think he made the right decision not to enforce the follow on as we all know Australia will fight till the last ball of the match

This is great, you don't need to load up cricinfo to check how the team did when you have this thread.

If it's at the top of the front page, Pakistan had a poor day. :moyo

If it's hidden away on page 7 then you know Pakistan had a great day. :misbah

yxi.gif

[MENTION=865]Big Mac[/MENTION] , you're not wrong.

The bold declaration today giving a bit of hope to NZ, and then taking out 8 wickets within a single day on a motorway.

Impressive.

On his way to become Pakistan's most successful Test Captain tomorrow.

Thank you Misbah-ul-Haq for your sincere leadership and dedication to our nation.

In future Misbah-ul-Haq's name will be taken along with the likes of A.H Kardar and Imran Khan.

Didnt take him long to show his true colors today.
The intention to win was NEVER there.
Draw was not a desirable result but oh well, better than losing the game when the massiah gets out on a big fat zero.

[MENTION=865]Big Mac[/MENTION]

The thread has been bumped!!! :))) FreeBird is here :p

And we didn't even lose! :))

Was a decent effort from the team and King, restricted NZ in both innings. Sadly lost quick wickets else would've won. Taufeeq and Shan significantly affected our batting strength.

clueless captaincy in the chase and then pathetic excuses that they were looking for win until the wickets fall. yeah we could clearly see the intent in the 3rd wicket partnership. game was long drawn in that partnership.

Draw was not a desirable result but oh well, better than losing the game when the massiah gets out on a big fat zero.

Wow. I didn't think you thought so highly of him. o.o

Not on the pro or anti-Misbah brigade, but I would like this thread to be bumped the day we win as well.

I'm not a anti-Misbah'ite but, how he reacted in NZ's second innings was all but giving up.

Great Captains don't let their shoulders sag and or fold their arms and become reactionary.

It was a case in how not to lead a side.

i hope you have a good night sleep knowing that he got out for zero and we din't win another test game under his captaincy

Misbah-ul-Haq's Captaincy in the last couple of games

We just lack the relentless that you need for a top test side.We too often can go on to have days where we look extremely flat and drop off our intensity level. At 280/3 we assumed that we will either win/draw this game and give NZ an opening back in the game which to their credit they have accepted with both hands.

Misbah captaincy in last couple of games

Looks totally different to the skipper that demolished Aus. Since taking the first test seems he is happy to sit on the 1-0 cushion and let NZ dictate the pace of the game. Even while batting on the first day Apart from Hafeez who is naturally aggressive batsman the rest of the batsmen seemed happy to bat at a slow tempo. Credit to McCullum for realizing this defensive stance by Misbah and taken this opportunity with both hands.

He has always captained like this , its all upto the players to put their hands up and perform. He cant tell a 29 years old bowler to where to pitch the ball or zulfi the 36 years old to how to avoid phaintee. He can not teach asad shafiq the 30 years old to not to throw his wicket away. The whole team is responsible for the bad performance.

NZ is a more competent side than Aus in these condition, they aren't going to be rolled over and hand an easy win to Misbah on a silver platter.

Got to give credit to NZ batsmen as well, they realised they need a win so are batting very aggressively. This has caught Misbah on the hop and now he is unsure how to respond. Great to see positive cricket being rewarded from a neutral POV.

pakistan while batting looked like they were playing a friendly match....now look at new zealand making merry....
records are set to tumble with players like rahat and talha....they will be getting smacked by bazz ...anderson and taylor. ...
I think our defeat is certain...coz we have superstars like shan masood and asad shafique....in the next innings. ....

Got to give credit to NZ batsmen as well, they realised they need a win so are batting very aggressively. This has caught Misbah on the hop and now he is unsure how to respond. Great to see positive cricket being rewarded from a neutral POV.

I am loving tge good positive cricket by the Kiwis. Misbah thought it's impossible to score @4 in two test sessions if you can win the game.here Kiwis skipper is batting along his team at a 7 runs per over. A lession that Misbah and his fanboys will never forget. A win is and should be akways better than a draw.

This is not Misbah's captaincy. It is the issue of a typical Pakistani cricket trait of stepping off the pedal when the going's good; getting complacent; not finishing a task; throwing away good start because one's position is confirmed a few more matches and so on.

Age is getting to him , can't take high pressure in back to back test matches. Looks mentally quite drained.

How can we simply discard the brilliance of McCullum? easy to blame Misbah when the opposing guy's playing a stunner

Apart from Hafeez with the bat the body language of the rest of the team in this game has been one of safety 1st which was always asking for trouble.

Funny to see Pakistani posters/fans, Not giving credit to opposition player. Just blaming own skipper as he is the one due to which Kiwi batters are doing well.

Yeah Misbah captaincy made batsman's to play bad shots and get out and also helped McCullam turn into a monster and smash the bowlers apart.

He it too easy a target for PP.

Yeah Misbah captaincy made batsman's to play bad shots and get out and also helped McCullam turn into a monster and smash the bowlers apart.

Why didn't he go after the chase in the last game and seal series? You should be ready for criticism if your decisions backfire.

I've noticed that his captaincy in Aus tour was the same. But people were praising him from everywhere.

I reckon tomorrow it will be more which way this test is going.

Looks like a repeat of Sharjah test, Pak vs SL but this time Pak is in SL shoes and NZ is in Pak.

Nothing to do with Misbah's captaincy!!! After we got whitewashed the win against Australia was just a fluke!!! We should not be too excited about our team. Our team's actual test ranking is 6-7 and ODI ranking 7-8. You will see it when we will be out in the first round with bunch of hack players. Most of our players are hit and miss types ( can't play spin/seam/swing/fast bowl even in flat tracks) and our best batsman Younis is not capable of playing a quality spin.

Also we are not ready to play 3-4 tests series. Seeing the quality of our players 2 test series are perfect.

Nothing to do with Misbah's captaincy!!! After we got whitewashed the win against Australia was just a fluke!!! We should not be too excited about our team. Our team's actual test ranking is 6-7 and ODI ranking 7-8. You will see it when we will be out in the first round with bunch of hack players. Most of our players are hit and miss types ( can't play spin/seam/swing/fast bowl even in flat tracks) and our best batsman Younis is not capable of playing a quality spin.

I think we are higher than 6-7 in tests, probably 4-5, but I agree with ODI ranking. We just are not selecting the deserving players. Dynamic batsman such as Fawad, Maqsood, Haris, Babar Azam etc. are being left out for Younis, Shafiq and co.

But I disagree with the bolded part, Younis along with Sanga is the best player of spin in the world and there is no two ways about that. There is no argument.

Well we have been struggling with injuries
Too much burden on the spinners to topple the opposition.
I think these five test matches give a fair reflection of our team's caliber. 3 out of 5. Coz we are not winning this game.
Seems the team has relaxed after the 2nd test match was a draw.
They been playing for a draw from day 1.
The break in between didnot help either. It gave the bowling side a bit of a rest, and our batsmen became even more complacent.
No ome was expecting the onslaught from Mccullum.
He has taken the team by surprise.
Now we have a situation on our hands and Newzealand can win this from here if the team keeps on playing like this.

He has always captained like this , its all upto the players to put their hands up and perform. He cant tell a 29 years old bowler to where to pitch the ball or zulfi the 36 years old to how to avoid phaintee. He can not teach asad shafiq the 30 years old to not to throw his wicket away. The whole team is responsible for the bad performance.

He is responsible for his own batting approach and the batting approach adopted by the entire team. If he can take credit for everyone's success then he should face the music as well. The overall approach of the team has been disgraceful

He is responsible for his own batting approach and the batting approach adopted by the entire team. If he can take credit for everyone's success then he should face the music as well. The overall approach of the team has been disgraceful

Azhar's approach is the same from day 1 and so is asad's. Sarfraz shows if you have the ability you can rotate the strike around well. Younis khan plays with 50 SR without much effort. In the end it is down to an individuals mental and physical ability how he goes about his batting and bowling.

Azhar is already punching above his weight and asad is only just justifying his ability.

Pakistan's batting would have not been suffering this much if umar akmal had a brain.

Pakistan missed a trick by not playing haris sohail though , he should have been tested. By the look of things its quite evident he likes to start very slow (hovering around 30 sr for his first hundred deliveries).

Babar Azam is not ready yet.

Fawad Alam has been ignored once again, he should have been playing for pakistan for last 5 years.

For the 1st three tests (2 vs OZ and 1 NZ) Misbah wasn't tested we were in a dominant position all the way hence everybody called it brilliant captaincy but from the last test games have been tight therefore misbah's captaincy is tested and exposed again

Age is getting on to him. He can't handle short deliveries anymore. Scored 38 off 120 balls that includes five 4s and one six. 26 runs on 6 deliveries and just 12 runs in between, on 114 balls.

That's why he is called tuk tuk. Has two modes of either hit or block , nothing in between.

And on topic I feel Misbah has been a good strategist but not a great leader of men, he gets frustrated and his shoulders drop far too easily.

Honestly, I think age has caught up to the King. Even in that fastest 100, he was dropped early on playing an Afridi-esque slog. Hasn't played a quality knock for a while now.

I really do hope he starts playing well (nothing against him as I speak), but really, there comes a point when age catches up and you can't do much about it.

Should quit all forms of cricket after the World Cup. This Test is probably his last Test, and let's hope we can avoid a loss.

As for his captaincy, it's not been too bad of late.

I support Dean Jones's suggestion.
Make Afridi captain in the Test.

This will help us in two ways,
1. An experienced captain taking over from another experienced captain.

2. Excitement factor in every game. It will become a roller coaster ride and a memorable return that will be enjoyed for years. :)

Back