The NFL Thread

Super Bowl 58: Kansas City Chiefs beat Baltimore Ravens to earn shot at title defence

The Kansas City Chiefs will play in the Super Bowl for a fourth time in five years after beating the Baltimore Ravens 17-10 in the NFL's Conference Championships.

The defending champions have had to play on the road during this season's play-offs but have still shown their championship quality by winning at Buffalo and Baltimore to return the NFL's big game.

The Chiefs now have the chance to cement their dynasty by winning a third NFL title in five years and becoming the first back-to-back champions since the New England Patriots in the 2003 and 2004 seasons.

The Ravens earned the top seed in the AFC Conference having had the NFL's best record in the regular season (13-4) and their quarterback Lamar Jackson is favourite to be named this season's Most Valuable Player.

He was up against reigning MVP Patrick Mahomes for a spot at Super Bowl 58, and they looked set for a quarterback shootout after both threw a touchdown pass in the first quarter.

Tight end Travis Kelce, again watched by his superstar girlfriend Taylor Swift, claimed the opening score and continued to be a vital target for Mahomes.

He caught all 11 passes to him for one touchdown and 116 yards to pass San Francisco 49ers legend Jerry Rice for most receptions in NFL play-off history.

BBC

The San Francisco 49ers produced a thrilling fightback to set up a Super Bowl rematch with the Kansas City Chiefs in Las Vegas.

Defending champions Kansas City won the first of Sunday's Conference Championship games, beating the Baltimore Ravens 17-10 to reach the NFL's big game for a fourth time in five years.

The Detroit Lions, one of just four NFL teams never to play in the Super Bowl, then led 24-7 at half-time against five-time winners San Francisco.

But the 49ers scored 17 points in a dramatic eight-minute span to draw level, before going in front for the first time with just under 10 minutes left.

The hosts then held on to win 34-31 and set up a repeat of Super Bowl 54, when Kansas City beat San Francisco 31-20 in Miami.

After winning Super Bowl 57 last year, the Chiefs now have the chance to cement their dynasty by winning a third NFL title in five years and becoming the first back-to-back champions since the New England Patriots in the 2003 and 2004 seasons.

49ers beat Lions to set up Super Bowl meeting with Chiefs - reaction

San Francisco have been favourites to win Super Bowl 58 since late November because of their star-studded roster while Kansas City were playing in the AFC Championship game for a sixth straight year.

But in the last two weeks of the play-offs both teams have both had to dig deep to book their spot on the Strip on 11 February.

The 49ers, the top seed in the NFC Conference, had to come from behind to survive a scare against Green Bay in the divisional round before recovering from an even bigger deficit against Detroit.

The Chiefs, meanwhile, had to play on the road in the play-offs for the first time during their recent spell of dominance, yet they have still shown their championship quality by winning at Buffalo and now Baltimore, the AFC's top seed.

Source: BBC

Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson has been named the NFL's Most Valuable Player for a second time.

The 27-year-old received 49 of the 50 votes, with the other going to Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen.

The award goes to the standout player of the NFL's regular season, in which the Ravens had the best record (13-4).

BBC

The Super Bowl is a sporting and cultural phenomenon, as much about the spectacle as the game itself.

Now the show is set to be bigger and better than ever as - for the very first time - the NFL's championship game is taking place under the bright lights of Las Vegas.

Sin City has been transformed into a sports city over the past decade and now the biggest annual event in American sport will be staged on the Strip.

Defending champions Kansas City will play in their fourth Super Bowl in five years and 'Chiefs Kingdom' has gained a legion of new fans this season as music superstar Taylor Swift has been a regular at games since she began dating tight end Travis Kelce.

They face one of the NFL's most popular teams in the San Francisco 49ers, who have won five Super Bowls but lost on their last trip to the big game - to the Chiefs in 2020.

There is normally lots of speculation about the half-time show but it seems casual fans are more interested in whether Swift will be there than who might join Usher on stage.

Either way, dozens of music and screen stars will be at Allegiant Stadium for all the glitz and glamour of a Vegas Super Bowl.

The game starts at 23:30 GMT on Sunday and you'll be able to follow live text commentary on the BBC Sport website and app, plus live commentary on BBC Radio 5 Live, followed by post-match video highlights.

The Kansas City Chiefs fought back to beat the San Francisco 49ers 25-22 in overtime and win their third Super Bowl in five years.

The 49ers came into the first Super Bowl held in Las Vegas as the slight favourites and were twice on the brink of victory at Allegiant Stadium.

A last-gasp field goal by the Chiefs made it 19-19 to send the game into overtime, and although the 49ers edged back in front, Patrick Mahomes' touchdown pass to Mecole Hardman meant defending champions Kansas City cemented their status as the first NFL dynasty since the New England Patriots.

The Chiefs have reached four of the past five Super Bowls and became the first team to win back-to-back titles since the Patriots in the 2003 and 2004 seasons.

At just 28, Mahomes has become the sixth quarterback in NFL history to win three or more Super Bowls, while Andy Reid has become the fifth coach to win three or more. Tight end Travis Kelce labelled Reid "the greatest coach this game has ever seen" afterwards.

Mecole Hardman started the season with the New York Jets but returned to Kansas City to seal his third Super Bowl win with the Chiefs

While Kansas City's win over the Philadelphia Eagles last season was a high-scoring epic, this will be seen as a classic by anyone who likes to see defences get on top, with San Francisco leading 10-3 at half-time.

But Mahomes still proved the difference, steering the Chiefs within range to make their game-tying field goal before keeping alive the nail-biting drive which resulted in Hardman's touchdown.

That condemned the 49ers and their coach Kyle Shanahan to another painful defeat. The Chiefs began their Super Bowl streak with a fourth-quarter fightback against San Francisco in 2020 and their latest win came in the second Super Bowl to go to overtime - the first saw the Patriots produce a record comeback in 2016 before beating the Atlanta Falcons, whose offensive coordinator was Shanahan.

The 49ers remain five-time Super Bowl winners but have now lost in the big game three times since their last NFL title in 1995.

Source: BBC Sports

Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce says his behaviour towards head coach Andy Reid during Sunday's Super Bowl was "definitely unacceptable".

Kelce bumped into Reid, 65, and shouted in his face in the first quarter of the game against the San Francisco 49ers, which Kansas City won in overtime.

The 34-year-old was unhappy about being taken off when Isiah Pacheco fumbled the ball eight yards out.

Both Kelce and Reid downplayed the incident after the game in Las Vegas.

Kansas City shooting: One dead and 21 injured near Super Bowl parade

One person has died and 21 people were wounded in a shooting in Missouri at the end of the Kansas City Chiefs' Super Bowl victory parade.

Officials said they treated eight victims who were in immediately life-threatening condition and seven others who had suffered injuries that could prove life-threatening.

Nine children were among the wounded - all are expected to recover.

Police said they have arrested three suspects in connection to the shooting.

The shots were fired west of Union Station, the train station in downtown Kansas City, which was where the parade ended at around 14:00 local time (20:00 GMT) and thousands of fans had gathered to watch the festivities.

Local reports said Kansas City Chiefs players were still on a stage there when the first shots rang out.

The gunfire caused the watching crowd, including the city's mayor and his family members, to run for cover.

Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves said officers responded immediately after the gunshots broke out and detectives who were on the scene quickly opened an investigation. The Fire Department also sprang to action, administering aid to the injured.

More than 800 police officers were already on the scene to monitor the parade, officials said. The city's fire department was also present to provide medical attention if needed.

At a news conference on Wednesday, Chief Graves said a total of 22 people were struck by gunfire - one of whom is dead - and three individuals were arrested.

A local radio station said one of its DJs, Lisa Lopez, was killed in the shooting.

The surviving victims were transported to three local hospitals, officials said, with the immediately life-threatening cases taken to hospital within 10 minutes of the shooting.

Nine children aged six to 15 with gunshot wounds are being treated at Children's Mercy Hospital, chief nursing officer Stephanie Meyer said.

"The one word I would just use to describe what we saw and how they felt when they came to us was fear," Ms Meyer added.

Local hospitals said they were also treating people who were not shot but who had suffered other injuries in the sudden stampede that followed the shooting.

City officials did not release the names of any of the victims. They also did not share any information about the suspects who were arrested, including what might have led to the shooting.

A law enforcement source told CBS News, the BBC's US partner, that the shooting appeared to be the result of an argument that turned violent. The source said it was not terrorism related.

Police said they are investigating a motive and gathering physical as well as digital evidence. They asked for any witnesses or individuals with information to contact law enforcement.

A city 'heartbroken'

The shooting broke out as the city was celebrating a second straight Super Bowl win by the Kansas City Chiefs. But this lesser-known American city was robbed of its exhilarating and unifying moment.

Kansas City's mayor Quinton Lucas said he was inside the Union Station when he and others heard the sound of gunfire. He and members of his family started running.

"We went out today like everyone in Kansas City looking to have a celebration," Mr Lucas said at Wednesday's news conference.

"I was there with my wife, I was there with my mother. I never would've thought that we, along with Chiefs players, along with fans, hundreds of thousands of people, would be forced to run for our safety today."

In a statement, the Kansas City Chiefs organisation said it was "truly saddened" by Wednesday's violence. It added that its players, coaches and staff - as well as their families - were accounted for and safe.

Travis Kelce, the star tight end of the team whose relationship with Taylor Swift became a cultural phenomenon, wrote on social media that he was "heartbroken over the tragedy that took place today."

Marquez Valdes-Scantling, a wide receiver for the Chiefs, also took to social media after the tragedy. He said he wanted to get in touch with the young victims of the shooting.

"I want to make sure they're doing ok," Mr Valdes-Scantling said. "But would love to help them out any way I can and get them some stuff from the team to help with the recovery."

The mayor emphasised that the city had security measures in place, and it should make the public think deeply about a path forward. Despite hundreds of law enforcement present, he said, this incident still occurred due to the presence of bad actors with guns.

In a statement, US president Joe Biden also reflected on the issue of gun violence in the country.

"Today's events should move us, shock us, shame us into action," he said, as he called for gun reform and a ban on assault rifles in the US.

BBC

Two teenagers charged over shooting at Kansas City Super Bowl parade

Two teenagers have been charged over a shooting at a Super Bowl victory parade in Kansas City that left one person dead and 22 others injured.

The two suspects, both aged under 18, are being held on gun and resisting arrest charges, a court statement said.

Police earlier said the shooting was the result of an argument and was not connected to terrorism.

A third person who was detained after the shooting has been released.

A statement from the Jackson County Family Court on Friday said that additional charges were "expected in the future as the investigation by the Kansas City Police Department continues".

The names of the juvenile suspects have not been released. Juvenile court cases are kept private under Missouri law, and hearings are not open to the public.

Kansas City Police have continued to appeal for information about the shooting, which occurred near the city's Union Station just after a parade and rally for the Super Bowl champions.

On Thursday, Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves said the injured victims ranged in age from eight to 47 years old and that at least half were under 16.

The deceased victim was identified as Lisa Lopez-Galvan, 43, a local DJ.

Ms Lopez-Galvan hosted Taste of Tejano, a Tex-Mex music show, on community radio station KKFI.

Her son was shot in the leg but has been discharged from hospital. Two other family members were also injured in the shooting, according to the radio station.

Ms Lopez-Galvan was hailed as a community leader who used her media profile to fundraise for Latino community events and organisations, toy drives for children with cancer and college scholarships.

An online fundraiser in support of the DJ's family raised more than $230,000 (£180,000) - including $100,000 from Taylor Swift.

Further details have also emerged about the reaction of the crowd and the Kansas City Chiefs players, who were celebrating their second straight NFL championship.

The parents of a 13-year-old who got separated from his father during chaos following the shooting praised a player who helped shelter their son.

Zach Cotton got separated from his father inside Union Station and found himself behind the station, near where buses were waiting to pick up players after the victory rally.

Chiefs' running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire and other members of the team sheltered the teenager before he was reunited with his family.

Responding to a thank you note posted by Zach's mother on Facebook, Mr Edwards-Helaire wrote: "Sorry the family and all of Chiefs Kingdom had to experience this. Just wanted to thank Zach for trusting me and knowing I'll protect him."

Another teenager, Gabe Wallace, told the Kansas City Star that he and others were comforted by the Chiefs' head coach in the panic after the shots rang out.

"Andy Reid was trying to comfort me, which was nice," Gabe said. "He was kind of hugging me, just like, 'Are you OK, man? Are you OK? Just please breathe.' He was being real nice and everything."

BBC

Two charged with murder in shooting at Super Bowl rally in Kansas City​

Feb 20 (Reuters) - Two men were charged with murder on Tuesday in connection with a shooting in Kansas City, Missouri, that killed one person and wounded 22 near a Super Bowl victory rally for city's NFL Champion Chiefs, prosecutors said on Tuesday.

The two suspects, identified as Dominic Miller of Kansas City and Lyndell Mays of nearby Raytown, each face charges of second-degree murder and two counts of armed criminal action and unlawful use of a weapon, according to a statement from the Jackson County Prosecutor's Office.

"According to court records, the defendants attended a Super Bowl parade and rally on Feb. 14, 2024, and were armed with firearms," the statement said. It added: "A verbal altercation occurred and gunfire broke out with no regard for thousands of other individuals in the area.

The woman who died in the shooting was a popular radio disc jockey, her station and friends said.

REUTERS

Matt Araiza: Super Bowl winners Kansas City Chiefs sign punter after he is dropped from civil case

Super Bowl winners Kansas City Chiefs have signed punter Matt Araiza who was removed in December from a civil case that had alleged his involvement in the gang rape of a 17-year-old girl.

Araiza, 23, was originally drafted by the Buffalo Bills in April 2022 but has never played in an NFL game.

The Bills released Araiza in the summer of 2022, shortly after he was named in the alleged rape case.

Prosecutors said they would not press criminal charges in December 2022.

"I am thrilled to be able to continue my NFL career," Araiza said in a statement.

"I want to thank my family, who have been my rock and my many friends who have been unwavering in their support. I am proud and honoured to sign a contract with the Chiefs.

"I am excited to begin the next phase of my career with the Super Bowl champions."

Araiza has always denied the allegations and released a statement when the original civil case was filed saying he would "look forward to quickly setting the record straight".

Legal representatives of the alleged victim, identified in the civil case as Jane Doe, dropped Araiza from the suit that was filed in August 2022, and Araiza agreed to dismiss a defamation suit against Doe filed in July 2023.

Araiza earned the nickname 'Punt God' for his high, lengthy kicks at San Diego State University and set an NCAA record with a 51.19-yard punting average.

NFL: Jason Kelce confirms retirement after 13 seasons with Philadelphia Eagles​

A tearful Jason Kelce confirmed his retirement on Monday after 13 seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles.

The 36-year-old spent his entire career with Philadelphia, helping them win their first Super Bowl in 2018 and reach the NFL showpiece again in 2023.

Kelce was a sixth-round draft pick by the Eagles in 2011 but is now regarded as one of the NFL's best-ever centres.

He cried as he began a statement lasting more than 40 minutes and continued to hold back tears.

"I am very proud knowing where I was once was and the legacy I have left behind," he said.

Kelce denied that he had decided to retire in January, in the wake of the Eagles' exit from last season's play-offs, saying he needed time to consider his future.

A seven-time Pro Bowl selection, he played 205 games and holds the franchise record for consecutive starts.

He will be remembered as a Philadelphia legend, securing that status with a passionate speech during their Super Bowl parade in 2018 - on the steps made famous by the Rocky movies.

The Eagles returned to the Super Bowl to take on the Kansas City Chiefs in 2023, with Kelce facing his brother Travis.

Saquon Barkley looks set to become an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his NFL career with the New York Giants reportedly opting against using the franchise tag on their star running back for a second season in a row.

SKY

The Denver Broncos have released quarterback Russell Wilson - just two years after signing him in one of the most valuable trades in NFL history.

The 35-year-old had previously spent 10 seasons with the Seattle Seahawks, leading them to Super Bowl victory over the Broncos in 2014.

He was the NFL's fifth-highest paid player in terms of annual salary but won just 11 of his 30 Denver games.

"God's got me," said Wilson. "I am excited for what's next."

BBC

Rory Beggan, Charlie Smyth and Darragh Leader have taken a step closer to securing American football contracts after signing with an NFL agency.

Monaghan GAA goalkeeper Beggan and Down youngster Smyth have signed for ProStar Sports after impressing at the NFL Combine as kickers.

Former Connacht full-back Leader has also been signed to the agency.

The trio are looking to earn lucrative contracts as punters through the NFL's international player pathway (IPP).

From the new season, which begins in September, all 32 NFL teams must have at least one international player on their books. The IPP aims to discover new talent and expand American football's global reach.

BBC

Aaron Donald, one of the NFL's greatest defensive players, has announced his retirement with immediate effect.

The defensive tackle, who turns 33 in May, spent 10 seasons in the NFL, all with the Los Angeles Rams franchise.

He helped them win the Super Bowl in 2022 and is one of three men to be named the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year three times.

BBC

The Pittsburgh Steelers have traded for Chicago Bears quarterback Justin Fields - just a day after signing former Super Bowl winner Russell Wilson.

After leaving Denver, Wilson, 35, was set to be Pittsburgh's new starter after they traded the incumbent Kenny Pickett to the Philadelphia Eagles.

But now the Steelers have also brought in Fields, the Bears' starter since being a first-round draft pick in 2021.

BBC

NFL: Praise Olatoke swapping athletics for shot at American football​

Born in Nigeria. Bred in Glasgow. Bound for the NFL?

Praise Olatoke has walked the unconventional path in life before, so when the opportunity arose to swap the running track for the American football field, the decision came quicker than a 100m sprint.

The 23-year-old finds himself in the final weeks of the NFL's International Player Pathway, in which 16 athletes from the around the world who may never before have known the brown leather of a football are given the opportunity to step on to the sport's biggest stage.

Some would be daunted by ditching their successful career in athletics to pursue a notoriously cut-throat and gruelling new discipline, going from short-distance sprinter to wide receiver.

But, when asked if he can envisage a scenario where he catches the winning touchdown in a Super Bowl, it is clear Olatoke has taken that Scottish gallus streak stateside.

"1000%," he tells BBC Scotland. "Crazier things have happened, so I wouldn't say this is out of the ordinary. I think it's bound to happen - and it will happen. It's only a matter of time."

Bold. But this dream isn't one that recently sprung into the young man's mind. While he was representing Scotland in athletics, scorching out the blocks and climbing the world rankings, his finish line looked different.

An arrest warrant has been issued for Detroit Lions defensive back Cameron Sutton who is wanted in connection with an alleged domestic violence incident.

Authorities in Florida have asked the public to contact them if they spot Sutton, 29.

Sutton joined the Lions last year after spending his first six NFL seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Detroit Lions issued a statement on Wednesday and said "we will continue to monitor the situation".

ESPN reported that a warrant for Sutton's arrest had been issued on 7 March after police responded to a call at a house.

Sutton started all 17 regular-season games with the Lions as well as three play-off games.

BBC

Taylor Swift phenomenon everywhere, I wouldn’t be shocked if NFL asked her to date a player.

NFL owners vote to ban 'hip-drop' tackle at Annual League Meeting​

NFL owners officially voted to ban the 'hip-drop' tackle during the annual league meeting in Orlando, Florida on Monday.

It comes after the 'hip-drop' tackle was cited as a reason for multiple player injuries, resulting in a unanimous vote from owners.

The ban is, however, likely to divide opinion given the impact it will have on how defenders approach the game, with many deeming it a step away from football's physicality.

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Patrick Queen, Miami Dolphins safety Jevon Holland and former NFL pass rusher JJ Watt were among the multiple players to voice their disapproval over the ban on social media.

The hip-drop tackle is defined as a technique in which a player "unweights himself by swiveling and dropping his hips and/or lower body, landing on and trapping the runner's legs at or below the knee."

With the ban, any player found to have made a 'hip-drop' tackle will lose 15 yards and surrender an automatic first down.

Owners also adopted a change to challenges, approving a third challenge for coaches after one successful challenge, instead of two. Also approved was the enforcement of a major foul by the offense prior to a change of possession.

NFL executive VP of football operations Troy Vincent said last week the tackle was "something we want to get out of the game."

Baltimore Ravens tight end Mark Andrews was a notable example of the 'hip-drop' tackle last season when he suffered a cracked fibula and ligament damage after being tackled by Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Logan Wilson, resulting in him missing multiple games before his return in the AFC Championship Game.

Source: SKY

NFL star Sauce Gardner says he had good intentions when he said Jews ‘run the world’​

New York Jets cornerback Sauce Gardner says his “intentions were positive” when he echoed an antisemitic trope in a video clip on Monday.

Gardner, 23, the fourth overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, had joined a livestream with online influencer Adin Ross, who is Jewish and has his own history of inflammatory comments. In a 29-second clip circulating online, Ross and Gardner are sitting in a room with several other people when Ross says, “A Jew sold it to me because I’m Jewish.”

What he was referring to was unclear, but Gardner jumped in: “Imma be honest, like no funny weird ****,” he said, before pausing and putting his hand over his face.

Gardner continued, “Y’all run the world. They got so much motion throughout the whole world. Y’all gotta see how they be walking in the airport.”

Three of the men in the room laughed at Gardner’s remark, along with Ross. One of the men can be heard saying, “That’s facts.”

On Tuesday, following accusations of antisemitism, Gardner posted a statement on X, formerly Twitter, claiming he was unaware of the negative connotations of his comments.

“I love all people,” he wrote. “While my intentions were positive, I just learned that people use those exact words I shared for hate towards Jewish people. That is not what I am about and I appreciate those who took the time to educate me on that fact.”

A few hours prior, in a post that has since been deleted, Gardner had also written: “I love all people; Including Jewish people. The majority of my agency/marketing team are Jewish. You probably just took what I said the wrong way but what I said was meant to be a good thing.”

The New York Jets did not return a New York Jewish Week request for comment.

Gardner is the latest in a string of athletes in recent years to face accusations of antisemitism following social media posts. In 2020, NFL star DeSean Jackson posted antisemitic quotes attributed to Adolf Hitler, and later apologized. The following year, NBA player Meyers Leonard used an antisemitic slur on the gaming platform Twitch, and later apologized and engaged with the local Jewish community. The year after that, 2022, NBA star Kyrie Irving ignited a firestorm when he promoted an antisemitic film and initially declined to apologize.

Gardner has at least one defender — Ross, who has millions of followers across TikTok, the livestream app Kick and other platforms, and who came to Gardner’s defense in a reply to his X post.

“Bro I’m Jewish,” Ross wrote. “You did and said nothing wrong you said Jews run the world in a good way which is true, I said you were fine so ima defend you. Don’t give in, f— these fake woke ppl.” He added a middle-finger emoji at the end.

Ross, 23, has been surrounded by controversy in the past, including in 2022 when he initially offered to interview rapper Kanye West, who now goes by Ye, after West’s string of antisemitic comments. Ross has also been banned from the popular streaming platform Twitch multiple times for racist, homophobic and antisemitic speech from him and his followers. Ross has also been close with Andrew Tate, the far-right misogynist influencer who was arrested for human trafficking.

Louis Rees-Zammit: Former Wales rugby union wing joins Kansas City Chiefs

Former Wales rugby star Louis Rees-Zammit has joined back-to-back Super Bowl champions the Kansas City Chiefs.

The 23-year-old drew interest from several NFL franchises, and also had meetings with the New York Jets, Cleveland Browns and Denver Broncos.

Rees-Zammit, who was part of the 2024 international player pathway (IPP), joins the Chiefs just 10 weeks after quitting Welsh rugby on the eve of this year's Six Nations tournament.

In a video posted on X, Rees-Zammit said he "can't wait" to see Chiefs fans at the team's Arrowhead Stadium.

Rees-Zammit signed a three-year contract with the Chiefs - typifying the faith shown in the Welshman by Andy Reid's team as IPP players aren't guaranteed any length of contract.

He has also been given a guaranteed salary in addition to a signing bonus.

He has targeted a hybrid role playing at both wide receiver and running back, and his next task will be to try to earn a regular-season roster spot.

He was one of 16 players to take part in the 2024 IPP, a 10-week crash course designed to teach the required skills to succeed in the NFL.

The ex-Gloucester player - who has won 32 caps for Wales, scoring 14 tries - showcased his skills at University of South Florida's Pro Day earlier this month, with scouts from all 32 NFL teams in attendance.

While he did not test at an extremely high level in all metrics, his pace was impressive and up to the standard of NFL wide receivers.

Now with the Chiefs, Rees-Zammit will be competing with the rest of the off-season squad to earn a place on Kansas City's final 53-man active roster for the 2024 season, which begins in September.

If he does not make it, Rees-Zammit is likely to spend his first season on Kansas City's practice squad.

This year, for the first time, all 32 NFL franchises will be given an additional place in their practice squads specifically for international players, including those who have come through the IPP.

Teams who have an international player on their practice squad will also be allowed to promote them to their active roster, up to three times during the season.

As well as the hybrid role Rees-Zammit has talked about wanting to play, in the short term he may have a greater chance of being utilised as a kick returner.

NFL rule changes have been implemented to encourage teams to return a greater number of kick-offs, an area where the Chiefs could look to use him.

He has previously said he "would love" to return kicks on special teams, and his size, strength, speed and agility are attributes teams look for at the position.

SOURCE: BBC

Vontae Davis: Two-time Pro Bowl cornerback dies aged 35​

Two-time Pro Bowl cornerback Vontae Davis has died aged 35.

Davis, who played for Miami Dolphins, Indianapolis Colts and Buffalo Bills, was found dead at his grandmother's house in Southwest Ranches, Florida.

The police report confirmed no foul play was involved and the investigation was still open.

Davis, who played in back-to-back Pro Bowls in 2014 and 2015, retired mid-match while playing for the Bills against Los Angeles Chargers in 2018.

His 10-year career saw him finish with 22 interceptions, 97 passes defended and 395 tackles.

"Extremely saddened to hear of the passing of Vontae Davis," Colts owner Jim Irsay posted on X. "A great guy, team-mate, player. My prayers to Vontae's family."

The Dolphins, who drafted Davis as a first-round pick in 2009, said: "We are heartbroken by the sudden passing of former Dolphins CB Vontae Davis and extend our deepest condolences to his family & loved ones during this difficult time."

The Bills added: "We are saddened to learn of the passing of Vontae Davis. We are thinking of his friends, family, and loved ones during this difficult time."

Charlie Smyth says "this is where the real work starts" after signing a three-year contract with the NFL's New Orleans Saints.

The 22-year-old, who has come from Gaelic football, secured a deal last week after impressing at trials.

Smyth hopes to make the Saints' roster before the start of the 2024 NFL season in September.

BBC

An arrest warrant has been issued for Detroit Lions defensive back Cameron Sutton who is wanted in connection with an alleged domestic violence incident.

Authorities in Florida have asked the public to contact them if they spot Sutton, 29.

Sutton joined the Lions last year after spending his first six NFL seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Detroit Lions issued a statement on Wednesday and said "we will continue to monitor the situation".

ESPN reported that a warrant for Sutton's arrest had been issued on 7 March after police responded to a call at a house.

Sutton started all 17 regular-season games with the Lions as well as three play-off games.

BBC

Former Detroit Lions player Cameron Sutton has handed himself in to Florida police to face domestic violence allegations, more than three weeks after an arrest warrant was issued.

BBC

Tom Brady: Five-time MVP 'not opposed' to NFL return as emergency quarterback​

Tom Brady says he is "not opposed" to coming out of retirement for a second time to play in the NFL if called upon.

The 46-year-old quarterback retired in 2022, before reversing his decision only six weeks later in order to play a 23rd and final season in the NFL.

While seven-time Super Bowl winner Brady ruled out a full return, he said he would be open to playing again if a team needed an emergency quarterback.

"I'm not opposed to it," he told the DeepCut podcast, external.

In May 2023, Brady - who played for the New England Patriots for 20 years before spending his last three seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers - reached an agreement with the Las Vegas Raiders to become part of the organization's ownership group.

The NFL is yet to approve the agreement, and the league's approval could scupper any hopes of Brady returning.

"I don't know if they are going to let me [return as a player] if I become an owner of an NFL team," Brady said.

"I'm always going to be in good shape. I'll always be able to throw the ball.

"So, to come in for a little bit, like MJ [basketball legend Michael Jordan] coming back, I don't know if they would let me but I wouldn't be opposed to it."

Brady is the NFL's all-time regular-season leader in pass attempts (12,050), completions (7,753), passing yards (89,214) and touchdown passes (649).

His five most valuable player (MVP) awards is the most for any player in NFL history.

How does the NFL draft work?

The NFL features more than 2,200 players across the league's 32 teams and most are recruited via the NFL Draft each April.

Every year thousands of players in the US collegiate system become eligible for the draft but the total number of selections is limited to about 250.

Although players who go undrafted can still be signed later, most future stars are picked up during the three-day event.

But early draft picks can often flop in the NFL while some chosen late become greats - Tom Brady was selected 199th overall in 2000 yet went on to win a record seven Super Bowls.

The draft is divided into seven rounds - the first taking place on a Thursday, rounds two and three on Friday and four to seven on Saturday.

All 32 teams have one pick in each round, going in the reverse order of the previous season's standings - so the team with the worst record goes first and the Super Bowl winners last - but previous trades mean that is not strictly the case.

Instead of paying transfer fees, NFL teams trade future draft picks to acquire players from other teams or move up in the draft.

The Kansas City Chiefs, for example, traded away three picks in 2017 to climb into position to select current star Patrick Mahomes.

And previous trades mean that the Chicago Bears have two picks in the first nine this year while the Cleveland Browns' first pick is the 54th overall.

NFL teams scout players at college and then assess them during the NFL Combine, a week-long event in February featuring physical and mental tests where teams can also interview prospects.

Each college/university holds a Pro Day, where draft hopefuls have another chance to showcase their skills, and they may also visit teams for more tests and interviews.

Then comes the draft.

Each pick will not necessarily be the best player still available, they may be the player that team feels best suits their needs.

This year 257 players will be selected. The figure varies each year as teams are awarded compensatory picks for players they lost in free agency and rewarded with picks for developing minority candidates for head coach/general manager positions, while teams may also have to forfeit picks for breaching NFL rules.

BBC

Matt Ryan, who was named the NFL's most valuable player in 2016, has announced his retirement aged 38.

The quarterback, who played for the Atlanta Falcons and the Indianapolis Colts, called his 16-year career "a hell of a ride".

BBC

The NFL on Tuesday reinstated Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Isaiah Rodgers Sr. from his yearlong suspension for violating the league's policy on gambling.

Rodgers was with the Indianapolis Colts when he was suspended on June 29 but was released by the team later that day. He then signed with the Eagles in August.

ESPN

Titans select Sweat on day two of NFL Draft

The Tennessee Titans chose defensive tackle T'Vondre Sweat in the pick of the selections on day two of the NFL Draft.

After quarterbacks dominated the picks on day one, teams shifted their focus to defence on day two.

The Titans had the sixth pick on Friday in Detroit, selecting the 22-year-old Sweat from the University of Texas.

Sweat, who is 6ft 4ins and weighs 366lbs, said: "I can play good at 366lbs. My coach said this past season, ‘Yeah, you played great, but you could have played better at 355lbs or 350lbs.' If I go to 355lbs, 350lbs, most likely I'll be a Hall of Famer."

The Titans' decision to select Sweat came after the American was arrested on 7 April on suspicion of drink-driving, external. He was later released on bail.

Elsewhere, the Buffalo Bills used the first pick of the second round to select Keon Coleman, a wide receiver from Florida State.

The Los Angeles Chargers, who had the second pick, chose wide receiver Ladd McConkey while the Atlanta Falcons went for defensive tackle Ruke Orhorhoro in the third slot.

BBC

Houston Texans wide receiver Tank Dell was shot on Saturday night and suffered minor injuries, his team have announced.

The 24-year-old NFL player was treated in hospital for his injuries and has already been released.

The incident happened in a nightclub in Sanford, Florida, with local media reporting he was caught in the crossfire of an altercation that did not involve him.

BBC

Tight end Kelce signs new deal with Chiefs​

Travis Kelce has signed a new two-year contract with the Kansas City Chiefs that makes him the NFL's highest-paid tight end.

The 34-year-old helped his side to an overtime Super Bowl victory in February over the San Francisco 49ers.

In a video announcing the deal, Kelce said: "I remember coming here 12 years ago. It's an honour and a pleasure.

"I can't wait to get after it. Just got out on the field with the boys - we're back at it again."

Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes celebrated the news by writing: "I told y'all I'll never let him leave!! Congrats my guy!" on X, external.

The NFL Network and ESPN have reported Kelce's deal adds $34m (£27m) to his existing contract, which now ends in 2027.

Kelce joins Chiefs head coach Andy Reid - with whom he had a high-profile spat during the Super Bowl - and general manager Brett Veach in committing their futures to the Chiefs this month.

"A special day and moment in this organisation," Veach said.

Mahomes, regarded as the best player in the NFL, signed a 10-year deal in 2020.

Kelce led the Chiefs with 93 receptions for 984 yards and five touchdowns in 2023.

Free agent wide receiver Tyler Boyd is signing with the Tennessee Titans on a one-year deal worth up to $4.5 million, a source told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler on Tuesday.

The move reunites Boyd with new Titans coach Brian Callahan, who was Boyd's offensive coordinator with the Cincinnati Bengals since 2019.

Source: ESPN

Back