The threat to Pakistan's cricket from USA and Canada?

Savak

Test Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
A few sports reporters are reporting that many of the Pakistani players who are fearing that the PCB will come down hard on them finally for the team's poor performances for the past year have been trying to reach out to the Canadian and US Cricket authorities and are hoping they will get offers to come and play Cricket in Canada, USA in exchange for permanent residency in these countries. This will also give them the freedom to play Free Lance in various T-20 leagues around the world and also to be considered as a domestic player in the GLT20 and MCL.

Canada and the US aspires to have a competitive international team filled with expatriates from India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, West Indies and are apparently offering decent money, housing.

Pakistan already lost the likes of Ehsan Adil, Sami Aslam, Hammad Azam, Ramiz Raja Jr to the US and could potentially lose plenty of other domestic players as well given the poor economic situation in Pakistan.

The PCB better come up with a counter plan to thwart this from happening in the long run.

I have played league cricket here in Canada for 5 years. Many great cricketers are coming here from Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, West Indies etc.

USA and Canada are bound to get stronger with these imported players.

They should be banned until they can produce a team of homegrown players. Add UAE and Hong Kong to that too.

It's a travesty to the sport that teams like Ireland,Scotland and Netherlands who field native players do not get to participate in the super 8s. USA and Canada should not be in the tournament in their current state.

It will keep happening until we doesn't come up with a sound selection committee.

They should be banned until they can produce a team of homegrown players.

Some of the desi cricketers were born in USA/Canada. They are homegrown.

White Canadians/Americans don't seem very interested, however. I have only seen one white Canadian dude in Toronto District Cricket Association (Toronto league). He quit very quickly.

Some of the desi cricketers were born in USA/Canada. They are homegrown.

White Canadians/Americans don't seem very interested, however. I have only seen one white Canadian dude in Toronto District Cricket Association (Toronto league). He quit very quickly.
1718827444744.png

Just 3.

They should be banned until they can produce a team of homegrown players. Add UAE and Hong Kong to that too.

It's a travesty to the sport that teams like Ireland,Scotland and Netherlands who field native players do not get to participate in the super 8s. USA and Canada should not be in the tournament in their current state.
Scotland was quite unlucky to not get to play that full match vs. England-they surely would have had a strong chance at winning.
But no one forced Ireland to get spanked by Canada, and I'm sure that we would have beaten them too had we played. They weren't going to make it even if we weren't in the tournament after getting spanked by India and beaten by Pakistan.

And no, enough with this nonsense. Four of the US players were born right here in the states-Taylor, Jones, Kenjige, and Jessy Singh. All four of them have contributed in this tournament (although we could surely use a little bit less "contributing" from Singh LOL)

Besides, ICC isn't going to agree with you anyway. They enabled this pathway to grow the game in the States.
The players who want to come here now-they'd best be ready to compete and work hard. There are 200,000 players playing some form of cricket in the United States. Don't expect it's just a path to a free green card in the United States. You can be a Netravalkar, a Khan, or a Gous-but none of these players should be expect to just be handed a spot in the side like Aslam probably thought he was getting. This is a meritocracy.

The National team gets played $60k a year to play. It's not amateur cricket anymore.

I remember reading threads on this forum few years ago on Ramiz Raja jr. hyped as next big thing in Pakistan cricket. I have never seen him play but its sad to know he left Pakistan. I hope he plays for USA one day so that Indian cricket fans like me could see his skills on play.

Scotland was quite unlucky to not get to play that full match vs. England-they surely would have had a strong chance at winning.
But no one forced Ireland to get spanked by Canada, and I'm sure that we would have beaten them too had we played. They weren't going to make it even if we weren't in the tournament after getting spanked by India and beaten by Pakistan.

And no, enough with this nonsense. Four of the US players were born right here in the states-Taylor, Jones, Kenjige, and Jessy Singh. All four of them have contributed in this tournament (although we could surely use a little bit less "contributing" from Singh LOL)

Besides, ICC isn't going to agree with you anyway. They enabled this pathway to grow the game in the States.
The players who want to come here now-they'd best be ready to compete and work hard. There are 200,000 players playing some form of cricket in the United States. Don't expect it's just a path to a free green card in the United States. You can be a Netravalkar, a Khan, or a Gous-but none of these players should be expect to just be handed a spot in the side like Aslam probably thought he was getting. This is a meritocracy.

The National team gets played $60k a year to play. It's not amateur cricket anymore.

200,000 players in the US? That is some serious competition. In Pakistan you probably are competing with garbage cricketers in comparison.

England won th world cup under Irish guy with the help of NZ born Stokes. People are used to it. We are talking about a country that created this sports. USA has no choice but to rely on others given the fact even Soccer is not that famous here.

200,000 players in the US? That is some serious competition. In Pakistan you probably are competing with garbage cricketers in comparison.

keep in mind some of these are "just for fun" leagues with no serious competitive plans. It's no different than guys going out to play tape ball matches after work in Pakistan.

There's a significant ground about an hour south of where I live. Shivnarine Chanderpaul (at least in the past post-retirement) was playing there regularly for fun. One of the Pakistani uncles got lucky and got him out once. Chanderpaul has been one of the great ambassadors of the game in this region. He supported the US College Cricket tournament as well.

A few sports reporters are reporting that many of the Pakistani players who are fearing that the PCB will come down hard on them finally for the team's poor performances for the past year have been trying to reach out to the Canadian and US Cricket authorities and are hoping they will get offers to come and play Cricket in Canada, USA in exchange for permanent residency in these countries. This will also give them the freedom to play Free Lance in various T-20 leagues around the world and also to be considered as a domestic player in the GLT20 and MCL.

Canada and the US aspires to have a competitive international team filled with expatriates from India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, West Indies and are apparently offering decent money, housing.

Pakistan already lost the likes of Ehsan Adil, Sami Aslam, Hammad Azam, Ramiz Raja Jr to the US and could potentially lose plenty of other domestic players as well given the poor economic situation in Pakistan.

The PCB better come up with a counter plan to thwart this from happening in the long run.
Rubbish.

These leeches will look to use Pakistan as much as they can. Playing for USA is only an option for cricketers who probably have little to no chance of making the team.

keep in mind some of these are "just for fun" leagues with no serious competitive plans. It's no different than guys going out to play tape ball matches after work in Pakistan.

There's a significant ground about an hour south of where I live. Shivnarine Chanderpaul (at least in the past post-retirement) was playing there regularly for fun. One of the Pakistani uncles got lucky and got him out once. Chanderpaul has been one of the great ambassadors of the game in this region. He supported the US College Cricket tournament as well.

Chanderpaul played in Toronto league too I believe.

You are right. Most of these leagues are not very serious. Anybody can play.

Toronto league (known as "Toronto District Cricket Association") is the top league in Canada. National players play in the top division of this league. Those "just-for-fun" guys play in lower divisions.

Chanderpaul played in Toronto league too I believe.

You are right. Most of these leagues are not very serious. Anybody can play.

Toronto league (known as "Toronto District Cricket Association") is the top league in Canada. National players play in the top division of this league. Those "just-for-fun" guys play in lower divisions.
It's still a good thing. You have to start from somewhere. How many players are there playing first class/List A in Pakistan?

Dont blame them. I would suggest this to all our good cricketers.

We always have Azam Khan who can be made captain in all 3 formats.

there is zero threat. Look at the guys who migrated, none of them even made it to the squad, Sami Aslam, etc.
if anything Pakistan should consider importing from more associate countries as we dont have enough talent. Tried Usman from UAE who doesn't seem good enough.

Somehow find a way to get someone like Gous to replace Rizwan.

It's still a good thing. You have to start from somewhere. How many players are there playing first class/List A in Pakistan?

I made my debut in 2010. Also, played from 2012 till 2015. After that, I quit. I am not in touch anymore.

I played in 4th division (for fun division; amateur cricketers).

Back then, there were hundreds of Pakistanis and Indians. I think there are far more now. I see they have added newer divisions now.

I feel like everyone is underestimating Club cricket in Us, I have been consistently talking about it in US games. We are far off but best chance due to state of the economy and look at the coaches and management of MLC teams for this season.

Cummins has 4 yr deal with SF..Travis head Steve Smith Racin Ravindran, all stars
Its given List A status by ICC

I made my debut in 2010. Also, played from 2012 till 2015. After that, I quit. I am not in touch anymore.

I played in 4th division (for fun division; amateur cricketers).

Back then, there were hundreds of Pakistanis and Indians. I think there are far more now. I see they have added newer divisions now.
It sucks for Canada that unlike States they can’t play 12 months.

Texas Cali play for 12 months

I feel like everyone is underestimating Club cricket in Us, I have been consistently talking about it in US games. We are far off but best chance due to state of the economy and look at the coaches and management of MLC teams for this season.

Cummins has 4 yr deal with SF..Travis head Steve Smith Racin Ravindran, all stars
Its given List A status by ICC
T20 Status

List A is for 50 overs domestics

It sucks for Canada that unlike States they can’t play 12 months.

Texas Cali play for 12 months

Indeed. We have snow here for like 6 months a year. Cricket can be played from May till September.

During winter, teams generally do indoor net practices.

Indeed. We have snow here for like 6 months a year. Cricket can be played from May till September.
The weather by July itself becomes weird, Nithin Kumar(Scarborough born) was Canadian captain but even he moved to US.

Thanks for sharing this article. My previous post was partially correct and partially incorrect. While the MLC matches are recognized as T20s, they also hold a List A status. I was previously unaware that all domestic white ball matches are classified as List A, although only one dayers are officially recognized as List A when it comes to statistical tracking.

Thanks for sharing this article. My previous post was partially correct and partially incorrect. While the MLC matches are recognized as T20s, they also hold a List A status. I was previously unaware that all domestic white ball matches are classified as List A, although only one dayers are officially recognized as List A when it comes to statistical tracking.
Yes, I had to read up too..seems like a very recent thing, I think even women’s games are classified as same

Exactly, USA and Canada are cheating by having ex pats in there teams, they should all have there players be born in Canada and US or been living in that country since they were small

Exactly, USA and Canada are cheating by having ex pats in there teams, they should all have there players be born in Canada and US or been living in that country since they were small
lol all this time it didn’t matter English had Kiwis and Irish but one loss and its cheating rofl

The English literally steal players, in Us most are part time and still doing well, blame your superstars for losing to them.

If US ever gets series about cricket it could be a big sport at college level like they have college basketball and football.

No other country would have a similar set up or system. It could be what propels them to the top.

If US ever gets series about cricket it could be a big sport at college level like they have college basketball and football.

No other country would have a similar set up or system. It could be what propels them to the top.
Hard to though, baseball is huge but definitely will be among Desis Carribbeans and others.

One never knows we can see people playing 2-3 sports and cricket being one.

They can attract a lot of under 19 age talent from India pakistan Bangladesh Sri Lanka Afghanistan Nepal, and some other countries also on sports scholarships. They would play ncaa cricket , feeding into mlc while also getting degree during their time with both career options open. A friend of mine played Davis cup tennis for Pakistan came to college to US, had a tennis sports scholarship, played tennis at college level then went on to investment banking after graduating.

I have never developed an affinity for American sports even while being here around 25 years. But if we had a local mlc team I wouldn't mind going to some games and/or following it a bit more closely than any of the American local sports.

Bhai on those grounds, even England would have been banned! :p
Half of the gulf countries and many European nations will not have a football team or players for Olympics.
Netherlands has fielded plenty of Foreign players over the years.

We will be sidelined by indian government as IPL will take over. Everyone BUT pakistan players will be allowed to play in it. Well, we deserve it as we cant even beat USA :LOL:

We will be sidelined by indian government as IPL will take over. Everyone BUT pakistan players will be allowed to play in it. Well, we deserve it as we cant even beat USA :LOL:
Its a scary thought and worse, the probability of this happening is not zero. We have seen declines of many sporting powers, it takes decades but it has happened like hockey.

Talented players from Pakistan, Westindies and South Africa will be the biggest imports.

Good.

If the likes of Rizwan want to leave this way then it makes PCB's job easier. They don't need to conform to blackmail anymore.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I can see USA cricket continuing to grow at a healthy clip. They have the $, infrastructure and population to support a cricketing ecosystem. MLC is going to be a game changer. Canada will always be second, we don’t have the big bucks, and outside of Toronto interest isn’t as strong. There are leagues in other cities but not to the extent of what you see in Toronto. Also, there isn’t a proper cricket ground in the entire country. I think Brampton was trying to build a real stadium but that fell through. Having said that, Canada could be a great case to build the world’s first indoor or retractable roof cricket stadium. Nonetheless, Canada will still field a decent team and it will get better as there is some real up and coming talent in the system, not just expats.

They can attract a lot of under 19 age talent from India pakistan Bangladesh Sri Lanka Afghanistan Nepal, and some other countries also on sports scholarships. They would play ncaa cricket , feeding into mlc while also getting degree during their time with both career options open. A friend of mine played Davis cup tennis for Pakistan came to college to US, had a tennis sports scholarship, played tennis at college level then went on to investment banking after graduating.

I have never developed an affinity for American sports even while being here around 25 years. But if we had a local mlc team I wouldn't mind going to some games and/or following it a bit more closely than any of the American local sports.
Have been here 25+ years as well and i dont even understand American football, baseball , golf and find them so boring. Basketball is so repetitive and tiring...cricket is what we have the passion for. Cricket it is all the way ! Nothing comes close to a game of good exciting cricket contest- maybe the world cup soccer games but thats about it.. 🙂

Also an FYI. The USA cricket future growth is not dependent on foreign players but local born players. I know Kuljit Nijjar well who is on the USA cricket board and had a convo with him a few.months back in Dallas and he had mentioned that the future for USA cricket is the local born players and he believes the talent is definitely there and I totally agree. I have seen the local born upcoming players in the cricket league here and the future is very bright.

So- all you Pak residents - you don't need to worry about any pak player exodus to the USA. The USA success seems to be a flash in the pan performance but it's actually a concerted effort put in for the past few years.

There is no threat. The people who are thinking about it are the guys who are not loyal enough to this country. The players from the current team have been on paid vacations for so long without any performance and now when PCB is thinking about a major action against them and kicking them out from the team, they are trying to get away with this Canada and USA hoax.

If anybody wants to go, then Tata bye bye...

No threat. If it were upto me I would happily give babar, rizwan,chacha iftikhar, Azam khan, hack Usman khan, premier allrounder shadab khan, Abbas trundler Afridi.

Both the country can equally divide these players. They are not needed here.

No threat. If it were upto me I would happily give babar, rizwan,chacha iftikhar, Azam khan, hack Usman khan, premier allrounder shadab khan, Abbas trundler Afridi.

Both the country can equally divide these players. They are not needed here.
and imagine if they start spanking Pakistan for their new nation? How will it feel?

Not just USA and Canada, but even the UAE and basically any part of the world- just to get rid of Pakistan. Some are doing it directly, as mentioned in the OP and some may do it indirectly i.e. Hassan.

It's understandable that it is because of poor economy, but I will blame it largely on the PCB governance which isn't fair with it's player management and selection and takes them for granted, thereby getting politicized in the process.

Not just USA and Canada, but even the UAE and basically any part of the world- just to get rid of Pakistan. Some are doing it directly, as mentioned in the OP and some may do it indirectly i.e. Hassan.

It's understandable that it is because of poor economy, but I will blame it largely on the PCB governance which isn't fair with it's player management and selection and takes them for granted, thereby getting politicized in the process.
Is Usman Khan's career over now?

Depends on how hard-line the Emirates Cricket Board deals with him.
UAE is going to make an example out of him. They spent too much resources and time for him. Why will they accept him after failing at world stage and being discarded by Pakistan.

Also an FYI. The USA cricket future growth is not dependent on foreign players but local born players. I know Kuljit Nijjar well who is on the USA cricket board and had a convo with him a few.months back in Dallas and he had mentioned that the future for USA cricket is the local born players and he believes the talent is definitely there and I totally agree. I have seen the local born upcoming players in the cricket league here and the future is very bright.

So- all you Pak residents - you don't need to worry about any pak player exodus to the USA. The USA success seems to be a flash in the pan performance but it's actually a concerted effort put in for the past few years.
I have been following some US journos and fan comments on FB.

A decent cricketing infrastructure has been built by desi ( mainly Indians) who want to see their kids play cricket. Stadiums, grounds and clubs were built up privately over many years. These people are ambitious but genetically they know their kids will never be playing football or basketball. Cricket is a way to try and give their kids an all American experience.

They don't plan on importing players. The initial batch was to try and get their leagues up and running and embed cricket at club level. I suspect that will decrease as time goes on.

UAE is going to make an example out of him. They spent too much resources and time for him. Why will they accept him after failing at world stage and being discarded by Pakistan.
What money or resources did they spend on him?

At most he got a visa for a few months to play club cricket and work as a security guard.

BCCI must enhance this threat by helping American cricketers learn by giving them opportunities in India leagues.
We can have another Ranji team called United Desi's of America and give them exposure.

At most he got a visa for a few months to play club cricket and work as a security guard.
A chance for him to play for UAE. A vacancy some other player could have used. and mostly an open disrespect shown to UAE administration. There will be new clauses added to Pakistani players hoping for UAE future now.

Quite possibly one of the worst opinions ever posted here.

They should make a new rule that the player and their parents must be both born in the country they want to play for.

As a purist this will be good for the game long term. Organic growth.

They should make a new rule that the player and their parents must be both born in the country they want to play for.

Am OK with the player being born here or even say when they came here young less than 10 yrs old maybe but why the parents ?? That way , it will take another 30 yrs to get there LOL !:)

Am OK with the player being born here or even say when they came here young less than 10 yrs old maybe but why the parents ?? That way , it will take another 30 yrs to get there LOL !:)

Exactly, or work with the ones that do qualify and get them up to standard.

It would be better to lose in a world cup qualifier like this and one day when they do qualify it will be well earned. However long that takes, 5 years, 10 years so be it.

Indian players who don't have scope in India will start moving to US in the coming years now that we have MLC. Unmukt Chand already played for USA. They rejected him this time around. This guy won under-19 world cup final against Australia with a brilliant century and he was the captain the lost his way. We can see more people moving to USA.

Indian players who don't have scope in India will start moving to US in the coming years now that we have MLC. Unmukt Chand already played for USA. They rejected him this time around. This guy won under-19 world cup final against Australia with a brilliant century and he was the captain the lost his way. We can see more people moving to USA.
I remember Ian Chappel had a lot of praise for Unmukt Chand. He just fell off the radar , couldnt compete at the international level for Ind. And you see him now in the Lexus ads on Willow TV :D!

Why are they playing MLC matches in NC? There is no cricket stadium there?

I remember Ian Chappel had a lot of praise for Unmukt Chand. He just fell off the radar , couldnt compete at the international level for Ind. And you see him now in the Lexus ads on Willow TV :D!
He released a book evne before his career started. It was a non starter to be frank. It is mind boggling this guy just could not take his game to next level when so many players worked hard find their way into an IPL team. Shashank this season worked hard for 7 or 8 years before making a name for himself in the IPL.

USA is the powerhouse in world politics and their dollar is enticing.
MLC is the biggest pull actually. Everything is earned or played out in USD.
If USA builds more cricket infrastructure, then it can tip the balance from India a little.

I'm personally not a fan of all these various t20 leagues popping up. It is power dynamics at play even in cricket.

China is actually one country which can force its way to making a sport popular but looks like they're not interested in cricket at the moment.

UAE dodged a bullet, they won’t take Usman Khan back now even if they could. He’s a terrible player, I’m sure they’re relieved they didn’t waste any more time on that guy.

If England can return the T20 and WC first then USA ll think about it.

USA is the powerhouse in world politics and their dollar is enticing.
MLC is the biggest pull actually. Everything is earned or played out in USD.
If USA builds more cricket infrastructure, then it can tip the balance from India a little.

I'm personally not a fan of all these various t20 leagues popping up. It is power dynamics at play even in cricket.

China is actually one country which can force its way to making a sport popular but looks like they're not interested in cricket at the moment.
All MCL teams are almost owned by Indians or Indian americans.

Indians are pouring money into it..

All MCL teams are almost owned by Indians or Indian americans.

Indians are pouring money into it..
I guess it's time for me to get the Pakistanis here moving. It's not as if we don't have money in the Pakistani community.
Even if Shad Khan isn't getting involved there's money out there. Raise $40-50 million and back a couple of teams and smaller stadiums.

The community here is mostly in LA, Chicago, NYC, Houston, plus South Florida and DC have significant populations. We also have a decent base here central Florida but nothing compared in the other regions.

I guess it's time for me to get the Pakistanis here moving. It's not as if we don't have money in the Pakistani community.
Even if Shad Khan isn't getting involved there's money out there. Raise $40-50 million and back a couple of teams and smaller stadiums.

The community here is mostly in LA, Chicago, NYC, Houston, plus South Florida and DC have significant populations. We also have a decent base here central Florida but nothing compared in the other regions.
My post was just meant as a reply to ‘remove India’s influence in cricket by making US big
I know many Pakistanis that have money but Indians already have cricketing business knowledge due to IPL riches which makes it easier for them to invest across.

Lol what ? I thought List A was only for 50 overs ?

My post was just meant as a reply to ‘remove India’s influence in cricket by making US big
I know many Pakistanis that have money but Indians already have cricketing business knowledge due to IPL riches which makes it easier for them to invest across.

I don't hate the approach but it's going to take years before USA cricket can wield the type of influence BCCI has. Major League Cricket is still in its infancy. There's quality to be had in the league for sure, but here's the issue:

1. Not enough American sponsors
2. The matches are split between Texas and North Carolina (not even getting florida matches)
3. They don't have stadiums for each franchise.
4. YOu have to get American investors and businessmen involved who understand the US market.

Right now cricket is still a bit of a niche market for the USA. Willow TV is heavily involved and has invested in MLC, so they're not going to be removing their paid access. It's the same problem cricket has in the UK-it's not on free-to-air TV. But the UK has hundreds of years of history to make up for that.

The wins in this World Cup have woken people up significantly. It would have been better if they could have beaten SA, but we're facing a do-or-die game vs. WI today. I'm pleased that this finally targets the US market a bit by putting it at 8:30 PM Eastern on a Friday night-that will help viewership.

But you need to get bigger sports entities involved. You need ESPN to start covering it but there's little to cover after this weekend unless the USA beats WI and England to make the semis. Sports is all about eye-balls, and cricket has an opportunity to fight for a share of the pie here. They just need to do it right. Heck, start with getting the South Asians here watching-there are 5.4 million of us here and just 10% watching each MLC game will draw major sporting attention and likely get the MLC a real TV contract (at least $4-5 million a year if we're using college football as an example). Outside of baseball, there's not a ton of sports to watch here in July. Basketball and ice hockey are done. American football won't be starting until August/September.

Well obviously they would. This is what happens when you play a team surrounded by nepotism and Seniority Bias and use newbies as scapegoats.

Why wouldn't players like Usman Khan want to choose usa and avoid being made scapegoats.

The more I see this World Cup, the more I think we just selected the wrong team.

A Shan Masood or Abdullah Shafique would have been mighty useful here.

Back