"The top-four at the World Cup is a small goal for us. We want to come out as winners": Babar Azam

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Pakistan captain Babar Azam held a press conference at Gaddafi Stadium ahead of the team’s departure to India for the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023.

The following is the transcript of the media conference:

Babar Azam: “We are leaving for the World Cup tonight; the morale of the team is high and we are very confident. We will try to come back with a win, we request you all to back us and pray for us.”

Q: Most of you are touring India for the first time. How is the team feeling about that?

BA: All of us are proud of travelling for the World Cup. Although we have not played in India before, we are not taking too much pressure. We have done our research and we have heard the conditions are similar to how they play out in other Asian countries. It is quite an honour for me to travel as the captain this time around, I hope we come back with a trophy this time.

Q: Asia Cup ended on a sour note for Pakistan. What will be the strategy moving forward?

BA: Before the last two games in the Asia Cup, we were doing really well with the same team. Although we could not deliver the way we could, but we have learnt from our mistakes, as individuals and as a team. We have discussed all our mistakes as a team with the support staff. Asia Cup was a different tournament, World Cup is entirely different, so we will plan accordingly. We cannot comment on combinations without assessing the conditions first. We will go with whatever works best for the Pakistan team.

Q: Are you envisioning Pakistan finishing the World Cup in the top-four?

BA: The top-four is a small goal for us. We want to come out as winners. We did not have enough time to put together a camp before the World Cup because we had been playing for too long continuously. We wanted to give the players a break so they come back refreshed and with the hunger to win. You play well when you have that hunger.

Q: Pakistan has made mistakes in the Asia Cup. How will you be dealing with them?

BA: It is a process, you can never be satisfied with your performance 100%. You recover as professionals, as a team. We know we have lapsed in fielding and in our wicket-taking abilities in the middle overs but we are going to work on it and hopefully will not be repeating them as we have made plans accordingly … The more you play cricket, the more you learn. When you are playing well and are in-form, you wish to keep playing. But when you are making mistakes, it is different. You assess that differently, you have to work on it especially if a key player is struggling. You need to back your struggling player more because they are being criticised from the outside. Giving them confidence in the dressing room becomes even more important because these are the same boys who have won you consistently. I believe in my 15 men more than I believe in myself. Whatever team you make, you should know what your core is. I know who my players are – the ones who would be willing to put a fight – and I believe in them blindly. They are capable of winning you matches singlehandedly … We don’t get results as individuals, we get results as a team. There are ups-and-downs always but making changes does not help the team unity. As a team, we play match-to-match and we are eying the World Cup. We have nine matches to win before we can win the World Cup.

Q: There have been a lot of distractions for Pakistan leading up to the World Cup, how has the team dealt with that?

BA: We try our best to block out the noise and play with our 100% attention. I try to make sure that the noise does not get to the team and I handle them all outside of the [dressing room]. The visas are here, as far as I know, so we should be good to go. As far as the contracts are concerned, they still being negotiated, but we are hopeful they will work out as the PCB always has our interests at heart.

Q: Can you comment on Naseem Shah missing out on the World Cup?

BA: Of course we will miss Naseem Shah as Shaheen [Afridi] and Naseem bowling together gave us a different edge. It was not easy to pick his replacement, but we all sat together and got input from [chief selector] Inzamam ul Haq. We went with Hasan Ali because he has experience. He has played the World Cup before. I cannot comment who will bowl the new ball or the old ball, as we cannot reveal our strategies right now. But we have not made any concrete plans right now, it will become more clear to us when we travel to India and assess the conditions.

Q: Can you comment on the dressing room environment?

BA: There is no ill will in the dressing room. There are discussions after every loss but they get twisted into something else entirely. The entire team is like a family and there is love and respect there.

Q: How much will the team miss Pakistan fans in the stadium?

BA: Unfortunately, we will be missing the fans. However, as far as I know, the games are all sold out so we will be playing in jam-packed stadiums. Although our fans will not be there, I know they will make sure their love is heard on social media. I have heard that the fans in India also show their love, although I have not experienced that as of yet but I am excited to play in India as well.

Q: Can you comment on the performances of spinners?

BA: There has been a lot of criticism on the spinners. They have had a few bad days but they are not ordinary players. It is not easy to play for the Pakistan team—they have gotten here on the back of their performances. I have full faith in them.

Q: What are your personal goals for the World Cup?

BA: I am excited to play in Ahmedabad as it will be jam-packed. I will try my best to perform up to my potential. I am not worried about my individual accolades, I want to make sure whatever I do helps the result for the team … Whenever there is a tour coming up, I spend some time planning for it. I prepare according to [the teams I have to face] and make goals for myself. I try to set targets for myself and then I give my 100% in the ground. The rest I leave up to God, as the results are in His hand … Whenever you are playing a big tournament, it is a very exciting opportunity. It is a chance to become a hero as every World Cup performance gives you a different kind of confidence. Everyone is at their best during the World Cup, so whenever you perform there, it is an altogether different feeling. Performances come when you do not take pressure so that is also important.

It's good to see that Skipper is confident and is looking to win this world cup. But he needs to come out of his comfort zone and take bold decisions if he really wants to win this.

Atleast Babar talks the right things. Traditional problem with Pakistani players and skippers have been they speak out of turn and often something controversial at best or stupid at worst. I like the fact that Babar is much more matured that way.

Watched the presser live and I was impressed by some of the answers that Babar gave.

Yes, we can make changes if the team doesnt perform in the WC but one of the oldest issues with PCT was the dropping of players only after a couple of matches which has been solved under Babar. In the PCT of old, Rauf would have been dropped ages ago when he used to get smacked all around the park and probably Shaheen as well after the hammering against England.

Its finally good to see a captain standing up for the team and not giving into the media pressure. I remember the days we used to give a call up to Hafeez and Malik before every WC. The media tried their best to do the same this time around by getting a call up for Sarfraz, Imad and Amir but thankfully Babar didnt give in.

I'm backing Agha and Mir to come good in the WC. These guys have toiled in the domestic circuit and the time to show is finally here. Hoping for the best.

Usual stuff for a press conference. Whats important is that Babar and co tune out all the nonsense from the Pakistani media and many fans, stay in their bubble and play according to the conditions and the situation.

Pakistan captain Babar Azam held a press conference at Gaddafi Stadium ahead of the team’s departure to India for the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023.

The following is the transcript of the media conference:

Babar Azam: “We are leaving for the World Cup tonight; the morale of the team is high and we are very confident. We will try to come back with a win, we request you all to back us and pray for us.”

Q: Most of you are touring India for the first time. How is the team feeling about that?

BA: All of us are proud of travelling for the World Cup. Although we have not played in India before, we are not taking too much pressure. We have done our research and we have heard the conditions are similar to how they play out in other Asian countries. It is quite an honour for me to travel as the captain this time around, I hope we come back with a trophy this time.

Q: Asia Cup ended on a sour note for Pakistan. What will be the strategy moving forward?

BA: Before the last two games in the Asia Cup, we were doing really well with the same team. Although we could not deliver the way we could, but we have learnt from our mistakes, as individuals and as a team. We have discussed all our mistakes as a team with the support staff. Asia Cup was a different tournament, World Cup is entirely different, so we will plan accordingly. We cannot comment on combinations without assessing the conditions first. We will go with whatever works best for the Pakistan team.

Q: Are you envisioning Pakistan finishing the World Cup in the top-four?

BA: The top-four is a small goal for us. We want to come out as winners. We did not have enough time to put together a camp before the World Cup because we had been playing for too long continuously. We wanted to give the players a break so they come back refreshed and with the hunger to win. You play well when you have that hunger.

Q: Pakistan has made mistakes in the Asia Cup. How will you be dealing with them?

BA: It is a process, you can never be satisfied with your performance 100%. You recover as professionals, as a team. We know we have lapsed in fielding and in our wicket-taking abilities in the middle overs but we are going to work on it and hopefully will not be repeating them as we have made plans accordingly … The more you play cricket, the more you learn. When you are playing well and are in-form, you wish to keep playing. But when you are making mistakes, it is different. You assess that differently, you have to work on it especially if a key player is struggling. You need to back your struggling player more because they are being criticised from the outside. Giving them confidence in the dressing room becomes even more important because these are the same boys who have won you consistently. I believe in my 15 men more than I believe in myself. Whatever team you make, you should know what your core is. I know who my players are – the ones who would be willing to put a fight – and I believe in them blindly. They are capable of winning you matches singlehandedly … We don’t get results as individuals, we get results as a team. There are ups-and-downs always but making changes does not help the team unity. As a team, we play match-to-match and we are eying the World Cup. We have nine matches to win before we can win the World Cup.

Q: There have been a lot of distractions for Pakistan leading up to the World Cup, how has the team dealt with that?

BA: We try our best to block out the noise and play with our 100% attention. I try to make sure that the noise does not get to the team and I handle them all outside of the [dressing room]. The visas are here, as far as I know, so we should be good to go. As far as the contracts are concerned, they still being negotiated, but we are hopeful they will work out as the PCB always has our interests at heart.

Q: Can you comment on Naseem Shah missing out on the World Cup?

BA: Of course we will miss Naseem Shah as Shaheen [Afridi] and Naseem bowling together gave us a different edge. It was not easy to pick his replacement, but we all sat together and got input from [chief selector] Inzamam ul Haq. We went with Hasan Ali because he has experience. He has played the World Cup before. I cannot comment who will bowl the new ball or the old ball, as we cannot reveal our strategies right now. But we have not made any concrete plans right now, it will become more clear to us when we travel to India and assess the conditions.

Q: Can you comment on the dressing room environment?

BA: There is no ill will in the dressing room. There are discussions after every loss but they get twisted into something else entirely. The entire team is like a family and there is love and respect there.

Q: How much will the team miss Pakistan fans in the stadium?

BA: Unfortunately, we will be missing the fans. However, as far as I know, the games are all sold out so we will be playing in jam-packed stadiums. Although our fans will not be there, I know they will make sure their love is heard on social media. I have heard that the fans in India also show their love, although I have not experienced that as of yet but I am excited to play in India as well.

Q: Can you comment on the performances of spinners?

BA: There has been a lot of criticism on the spinners. They have had a few bad days but they are not ordinary players. It is not easy to play for the Pakistan team—they have gotten here on the back of their performances. I have full faith in them.

BA: I am excited to play in Ahmedabad as it will be jam-packed. I will try my best to perform up to my potential. I am not worried about my individual accolades, I want to make sure whatever I do helps the result for the team … Whenever there is a tour coming up, I spend some time planning for it. I prepare according to [the teams I have to face] and make goals for myself. I try to set targets for myself and then I give my 100% in the ground. The rest I leave up to God, as the results are in His hand … Whenever you are playing a big tournament, it is a very exciting opportunity. It is a chance to become a hero as every World Cup performance gives you a different kind of confidence. Everyone is at their best during the World Cup, so whenever you perform there, it is an altogether different feeling. Performances come when you do not take pressure so that is also important.
Good luck skipper bring the cup home 👍

All talk but same old plan fpr last 4 years. This guy is not made for captain plus not very honest when its comes to selection. Achieving 6th spot will be a great achievement.We will loose to Eng, Aus and Ind will big margin. NZ, SA, SL have edge over us. Will be competitive against Ned, BD and Afghan. Maximum 4 wins.

The main issue for the pak team has been no planning in 4 years!!! Now who is to blame I dont know but every body else plan yet we dont. We are taking Abdullah no doubt I like him but how many one days has he played in the last 4 years...same with Saud shakeel have we given them chances the answer is no. Bowling so called hyped up now without Naseem it will be toothless. We will get spinning wickets over there anyways and name me ONE match winner.

Anyways inshallah we do well but i have no hopes of this team at all.

The main issue for the pak team has been no planning in 4 years!!! Now who is to blame I dont know but every body else plan yet we dont. We are taking Abdullah no doubt I like him but how many one days has he played in the last 4 years...same with Saud shakeel have we given them chances the answer is no. Bowling so called hyped up now without Naseem it will be toothless. We will get spinning wickets over there anyways and name me ONE match winner.

Anyways inshallah we do well but i have no hopes of this team at all.
Lack of planning stems from constant changes in personnel especially at the top. Since the 2019 World Cup we've had:

- Four Chairmen (Mani, Ramiz, Sethi and Zaka)
- Three Chief Selectors (Misbah, M Wasim, Inzamam) with two interims in Shahid Afridi and Haroon Rashid.
- Three Head Coaches (Misbah, Saqlain, Bradburn)
- Three Batting Coaches (Younis, Yousuf, Puttick) with a brief stint from Hayden.
- Three Bowling Coaches (Waqar, Tait, Morkel) with a brief stint from Philander.

In addition, two major revamps of our domestic system. No wonder Pakistan cricket is a byword for instability and chaos ! Most teams don't even go through half that number of changes in a four year cycle !

However there's been one constant and that's Babar's captaincy. His lack of vision is as disappointing as his tactical inadequacies. He's wasted countless opportunities to build a bench. I remember a home T20 series vs Bangladesh in 2020 and he still played Hafeez and Malik. Even against the Dutch last summer we played full strength teams. If Pakistan flops he cannot escape accountability.

Lack of planning stems from constant changes in personnel especially at the top. Since the 2019 World Cup we've had:

- Four Chairmen (Mani, Ramiz, Sethi and Zaka)
- Three Chief Selectors (Misbah, M Wasim, Inzamam) with two interims in Shahid Afridi and Haroon Rashid.
- Three Head Coaches (Misbah, Saqlain, Bradburn)
- Three Batting Coaches (Younis, Yousuf, Puttick) with a brief stint from Hayden.
- Three Bowling Coaches (Waqar, Tait, Morkel) with a brief stint from Philander.

In addition, two major revamps of our domestic system. No wonder Pakistan cricket is a byword for instability and chaos ! Most teams don't even go through half that number of changes in a four year cycle !

However there's been one constant and that's Babar's captaincy. His lack of vision is as disappointing as his tactical inadequacies. He's wasted countless opportunities to build a bench. I remember a home T20 series vs Bangladesh in 2020 and he still played Hafeez and Malik. Even against the Dutch last summer we played full strength teams. If Pakistan flops he cannot escape accountability.
And this is the frustrating thing. Of all the things we could have stability with, it had to be Babar’s captaincy!

Another systemic by product of chaos and instability.

In all of this mess, it would have been good if the one constant had some vision. Unfortunately he has none and his only vision is to promote a culture that even kids cringe about.

Team full of friends
cutting cakes and saying happy birthday
Smiling
Blowing kisses

Seriously these guys need to grow up

Talk is cheap, let's see what happens when it is time, with such great team selection and half the guys out of form, i think the goal should be, to not be in the bottom 4.

Skipper I highly doubt your leadership skills on the field, you did say reasonable things in this interview but you just aren't meant to lead. Regardless of my personal opinion hope the magic happens and you come back with the trophy. Play with the intention of only going there for that trophy, leave the bunny attitude back home and be hungry for the runs and for the trophy

BA: I am excited to play in Ahmedabad as it will be jam-packed. I will try my best to perform up to my potential. I am not worried about my individual accolades, I want to make sure whatever I do helps the result for the team …

Every Pakistan always says this and nearly always, it’s a lie

This kind of confidence is hollow. He knows it very well , that he will return before semis.

True but the question wasn’t even asked about the team. Just say how you prepare!
The questions were clearly rehearsed and filtered

He was asked one tough question at a tyre launch last week. As if he knew how to answer that question

Damn if you do damn if you don't case for Babar. He says he wants to win, people aren't happy. If he says he doesn't want to win, people won't be happy either.
As a Pak fan, I just want my team to win regardless of who captains or who coaches.

The fans will not forgive or forget.

They didn’t forgive or forget captains before Babar. Babar will be no different.

What goes around, will come around.

Babar talks a good game but he's too timid to take the big decisions and drop his mates. Most the team is in such bad form that any win in any game at the world cup will be an achievement.

yes i agree and look at the England and India's bench strength. I wouldnt be surprised their B teams will beat us harsh reality
Boss just 2 matches ago we had India by the jugular at 66-4. Despite two heroic innings they still got bowled out for a subpar score. They were playing their full strength A team.

Why we have such recency bias.

Boss just 2 matches ago we had India by the jugular at 66-4. Despite two heroic innings they still got bowled out for a subpar score. They were playing their full strength A team.

Boss @Syed1, there's no evidence that the chase was on. You could have just as easily been bowled out for 150 if there was any swing/seam/spin. :srini

Only way babar is winning to do what he doesn't do, and that's rotate players and be innovative.

What a sad life for Pak haters. They are even offended by press conference. Relax guys, wait for team to fail to prove your personal agendas against each player.
What the haters do not understand is that EVERY sportsman from F1, to Golf, to Football, and to Cricket, are guided by the PR teams.

The hate is real, Pakistan live rent free in their useless grey matter.

Remember, some of the haters want convicted corrupt players to return to the Pakistan team. Nuff said.

Inshallah Babar and the team will do us proud!

D to the I to the L - DIL DIL PAKISTAN!

This feels like a lifetime ago.

It was the brutal slap in the face we recieived in the matches afterwards that sent this happy memory to the shadow realm.

They were not chasing 260 that day. Any pitch Indian batsmen struggle on to score a middling score, you can bet their Pakistani counterparts would not reach half of it.

Backing Babar and his team to do well. He's assembled the strongest squad we've had for an ODI WC since years.

What the haters do not understand is that EVERY sportsman from F1, to Golf, to Football, and to Cricket, are guided by the PR teams.

The hate is real, Pakistan live rent free in their useless grey matter.

Remember, some of the haters want convicted corrupt players to return to the Pakistan team. Nuff said.

Inshallah Babar and the team will do us proud!

D to the I to the L - DIL DIL PAKISTAN!
but but but we want to be entertained and pak should either score 120 in 10 overs or get bowled out for 100 in an ODI. And Amir, Sarfraz, Umar and Shehzad are the saviors of Pak cricket.

Backing Babar and his team to do well. He's assembled the strongest squad we've had for an ODI WC since years.
By all means back Babar and the team - but the strongest squad for a WC for years? You have no hitters and your first choice batting line up consists of THREE specialist batsmen who are not even bought in to the modern brand of cricket!

Yes, not true at all.

If we had Naseem, that would have been the case and maybe Saim Ayub.
Yes - Naseem’s loss is big, because with him and potentially a decent spinner (options are limited I know) you can at least argue that our strategy is based around our bowlers.

We know our batsmen are not good enough to post 300/350 type scores, but our bowling will ensure we don’t need to.

We don’t even have that any more - I mean the replacement is Hasan Ali of all bowlers! Even a wild card bowler like Amir or Arshad Iqbal) would have increased some anticipation.

Add to that Shaheen is good but nowhere near his best and I have my doubts that Rauf can last the whole tournament with his injury, it is very very hard to realistically see how we have any chance at all.

And the lack of thinking in selection is mind blowing. You know you’re now weakened with your bowling line up and you don’t look to draft in some wild card hitters?

Does anyone between the team management, captain, CS have any brains? What is wrong with these people?

We didn't have Waqar in 1992, and won.

History repeating itself? I think so.
I really hope that it happens but the 1992 team had legends playing then. Miadad, imran wasim, SUch caliber is not yet present in the current Pakistani team. It is a good squad considering the last few world cup squads but still, 1992 and 1996 were something else.

I really hope that it happens but the 1992 team had legends playing then. Miadad, imran wasim, SUch caliber is not yet present in the current Pakistani team. It is a good squad considering the last few world cup squads but still, 1992 and 1996 were something else.
I would say Wasim wasn't a legend before the 1992 WC, yes certainly after, and I have a feeling Shaheen Shah will repeat the feats of Akram in the upcoming WC.

Pakistan just need the jazba and importantly the unity.

Reaching the semi finals for this team would be like Afghanistan winning the world cup - not gonna happen- so I don't understand why Babar's treating reaching the semi's as not a big deal.

Ultimately it looks like this will be his final tournament as captain so I guess a bit of bravado is not a bad thing :afridi

What are the chances ?

We have:
Afghanistan
South Africa
Bangladesh
NZ
England

Assuming we need to win at least 3 out of the next 5 games.

Might be a bit of a challenge I would imagine but am always remaining positive :)

PCT always does well when they start as underdogs, starting as #1 got them inflated.
Now when it will come down to NRR individual heroics will come into play again.

What are the chances ?

We have:
Afghanistan
South Africa
Bangladesh
NZ
England

Assuming we need to win at least 3 out of the next 5 games.

Might be a bit of a challenge I would imagine but am always remaining positive :)
We need to win 4 out of 5 to be fairly sure of a spot.

Winning two out of England, SA and NZ is going to be necessary and to not slip against the rest. It’s not looking great.

5 games to go

Lose one and you will be in NRR territory I recon

It's not a bad goal for Pakistan. Pakistan has made it to the top 4 only once in the last 20-22 years in the ODI WC.

In the next 22 years, I would think making it only once to the top 4 will be a disappointing outcome.

Pakistan should try to do better. Starting with not relying on fake all rounders.

In all honesty, finishing 5th was a massing overachievement from Pakistan, they should be proud

In all honesty, finishing 5th was a massing overachievement from Pakistan, they should be proud
Why? It may have been 6th(Eng playing poorly) otherwise Pakistan should finish in 5-6 the spot. SL, Afg and BD shouldn't be coming ahead.

Pakistan should target semis specially when WC is in Asia. Lack of spinners just killed the chance for Pakistan.

Apart from England all team below Pakistan were Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Netherlands .so finsihed at 5 is not a great achievements.

Back