The UFC/MMA Thread

Brett Johns makes return at PFL Dublin after 'toughest year'​

Two-time world champion Brett Johns is "euphoric" to return to the cage after a "tough year" of family loss and fight pull-outs that left him contemplating retirement.

The Swansea native, 31, returns to action at PFL Dublin on 8 December against David Tonatiuh Crol - 15 months after his last bout with Jordan Winski.

Johns, a bantamweight champion with Cage Warriors and Titan FC, had to pull out of Bellator 296 in May with illness. That same day, his wife suffered a miscarriage.

The situation made Johns "contemplate retirement".

"Back in May we had some bad news where we lost our baby," Johns told BBC Sport.

"That was really tough to deal with and on the same day had to pull out of the fight, which in the big scheme of things wasn't big news really, but we're just happy to be back and in the swing of things.

"It seems like a few months ago everything was stacking on top of each other.

"That's why it's important for us fighters to have a strong community around us."

Johns credits the support of friends, family, coaches and colleagues in the gym for helping him stay mentally tough.

"I can understand why men wouldn't speak about those difficult times," he said.

"I've just got such a close relationship with my family and my team that I was able to talk about it and feel OK about talking about it.

"At the end of the day, this fight coming up is huge, in regards to just getting back out there and fighting.

"This is a lot more than just that for me; this is getting back to the old ways of training and being back happy.

"I have to give a special mention to [my coaches] Richard Shore and Carl Parker for being able to keep me in the gym in that tough time.

"The guys go unheard of in the grand scheme of things but they're massive figures in the gym and they're considered to be father figures in the gym to everybody.

"I'm just grateful to have people around me that kept me focused these few months."

Johns is moving up from bantamweight to featherweight to take on Frenchman Tonatiuh Crol.

"Obviously it's new territory for me," said Johns.

"I've been training with the bigger guys at the gym such as newly signed UFC fighter Oban Elliot.

"Being one of the bigger guys in the gym, they're not easy rounds with Oban, but it will get me in fight shape."

The fight marks Johns' third straight appearance in Dublin after registering back-to-back wins against Khurshed Kakhorov and Jordan Winski to improve his career record to 19-3.

"The 3Arena is a magical place when it's fight night and I'm looking to put in a really dominant performance at featherweight," Johns added.

"This is just an adventure for me to find out where I'm at, whether I will go to featherweight [permanently].

"I'm happy to be back, I've kind of found my mojo back for this camp.

"I was contemplating retirement after May, and all of a sudden now we're with a big promotion, PFL, and we're going to Dublin and looking to put a big performance on.

"This year is all about taking the step into the cage, and don't be surprised on fight night when you see me step into that cage that you'll see floods of emotion.

"That's my home, that's my office, that's what I was born to do - step foot in that cage and perform, and I've done it for the last 10, 11 years.

"It's going to be super nice to be back in there, feeling the nerves, the crowd and the excitement."

Following the most difficult year, Johns has since announced on X, formerly know as Twitter, that he and his wife Carys are expecting again.

Regardless of the result in Dublin, Johns will be looking to the future with renewed happiness.

Source: BBC

UFC Leaked Emails Of Nate Diaz, Jon Jones Reveal 'Nasty' Negotiation Tactics​

• UFC executives, including Joe Silva, used lowball offers to intimidate fighters like Nate Diaz and force them to extend their contracts.
  • Emails and text messages revealed the "cutthroat, nasty business" tactics used by UFC owners Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta to retain fighters.
  • The UFC possibly extended Jon Jones' contract after he declined a fight with Alexander Gustafsson, suggesting strategic matchmaking and career events influenced contract decisions.
Amidst the ongoing antitrust lawsuit between Cung Le and Zuffa, certain emails and text messages containing discussions among UFC executives regarding fighter negotiations have been disclosed. These correspondences unveiled strategies employed by executives, including Joe Silva, to intimidate fighters like Nate Diaz with lowball offers and compel others such as Jon Jones to extend their contracts. In a particular exchange, UFC owners Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta expressed satisfaction in utilizing "cutthroat, nasty business" tactics to retain fighters within the UFC roster.

Source: The Sportster

Well, don’t really interested in leaks but more interested in pound to pound matches between these guys.

UFC 296: Leon Edwards says he and Colby Covington are 'total opposites'

It is the end of November and Leon Edwards is taking part in the final wrestling class of his training camp before flying to Las Vegas.

Edwards is dressed in his training gear and a beanie hat - it's cold in Birmingham, and steam is billowing from each fighter as their sweat touches the chilly air.

Edwards runs through a training drill with his partner, before sitting and listening attentively to coach Kamby Banger.

Banger tells Edwards, the UFC welterweight champion, that he could have shifted his weight more efficiently during the former exercise.

Edwards takes it on board, and in the next drill gains back control of his partner, before submitting him with a rear-naked choke.

At 32, it is Edwards' humility and willingness to continue to adapt and learn, which is driving him on to greatness.

"I think once you become a champion it cements the confidence you had in yourself and your team," Edwards tells BBC Sport.

"I think that's what it is, my confidence has grown leaps and bounds. It all confirms it, what you're doing in the gym is right, the team you're with is right and everything you've been thinking over the years, that you're going be world champion, it confirms it all, so I feel that's the difference."

Edwards is just over two weeks away from making the second defence of his welterweight title at UFC 296 against American Colby Covington at the T-Mobile Arena on 16 December.

As the training session comes to an end, the gym applauds Edwards and wishes him good luck.

"I'm on an 11-fight win streak - one of the longest in the UFC in general," said Edwards.

"So I feel if I go out there, keep adding these new guys to my reign, when it's all said and done I think I'll go down as one of the best of all time."

UFC 296: Ian Garry out of Vicente Luque fight because of pneumonia - Dana White​

Ireland's Ian Garry has been ruled out of his welterweight bout with Vicente Luque at UFC 296 in Las Vegas on Saturday after contracting pneumonia, says UFC president Dana White.

Garry, 26, did not show up for his pre-fight media obligations on Wednesday.

Garry was hoping to continue the 13-fight unbeaten start to his career against American Luque, 32.

"Ian Garry started with the flu that turned into pneumonia, so that fight is off," said White.

Garry told TNT Sports last week he was a "little bit cautious" about going to the US for the "safety of his family" after middleweight champion Sean Strickland verbally attacked his wife online.

Garry last fought in August, defeating Neil Magny by unanimous decision.

The card at the T-Mobile Arena is headlined by a welterweight title fight between British champion Leon Edwards and American Colby Covington.

Briton Paddy Pimblett is on the undercard, taking on fellow lightweight Tony Ferguson.

Colby Covington: UFC fighter provokes pre-bout row by saying Leon Edwards' dead father is 'in hell'

Two UFC fighters have had to be separated at their pre-bout news conference in Las Vegas after one told the other his dead father was in hell.

American challenger Colby Covington, 35, told his British opponent Leon Edwards "I'm bringing you to the seventh layer of hell [in Saturday's fight]. We'll say 'what's up' to your dad when we're there."

Edwards, 32, reacted by throwing a water bottle in Covington's direction. The pair, who both jumped up from their seats, were quickly separated by security staff. Jamaica-born fighter Edwards' father was shot dead in a nightclub when he was just 13.

Covington, nicknamed "Chaos", wore a colonial-era outfit with a wispy white wig and a "Make America Great Again" cap to the event and made patriotic references to the American Revolution, which went down well with US fans present.

Referencing his clothes, he said: "1776 baby, this is the American revolution. General Washington started it, general Covington ends it."

Edwards, who is based in Birmingham, was booed by most of the audience as he walked on stage at the start, while fans cheered and stood up to film Covington as he bowed after making his entrance.

Source : The Sky News

Former UFC star Nate Diaz gives big update about next fight during Karate Combat broadcast

Nate Diaz has not been in action since August.However, the former UFC fighter hopes to change that and have a fight on the cards before February next year. He was in attendance at the latest Karate Combat event, Karate Combat : Pettis vs. Henderson and mentioned on the broadcast that he would like to have a fight booked by early next year.

Jake Paul and Nate Diaz's boxing matchup went the social media star's way but there was numerous talks before and after the bout to do the whole thing again in Diaz's forte, a mixed martial arts setting.Paul addressed the rematch in a recent interview with Dan Rafael on Fight Freak Unite and mentioned that despite a $10 million offer on the table, Diaz and his team have not responded:
"I wanted to run it [back] in MMA. But you had the $10 million offer to him and there's still silence on his end other than some, you know, tweets that he's clearly high... I think he got the paycheck from our fight like, 'Wow, that's big. That's massive.' And then wants to do it again but is just not willing to risk it in MMA."

Paul continued that he was confident of a dominant victory once again and that Diaz was trying to avoid a similar fate as their boxing bout.

Source : Sportskeeda

UFC 296: Leon Edwards and Colby Covington face-off at emotionally charged weigh-in​

An emotionally charged Leon Edwards was held back by security as he faced off with Colby Covington before the pair's welterweight title fight at UFC 296 in Las Vegas on Saturday.

British champion Edwards weighed in at 170lb with American Covington 169.5lb.

The build-up to the bout has been marred by Covington's repulsive comment on Thursday that Edwards' late father is "in hell".

"That man [Covington] is as good as dead tomorrow," said Edwards.

"Make sure he keeps everything he said about my dad just… tomorrow, we settle it."

Edwards gave Covington a cold stare as soon as he walked on stage for the weigh-in before walking straight up to the former interim champion.

Covington goaded Edwards but the Birmingham fighter didn't say a word, instead choosing to continue staring at the American.

Edwards' body language was different to previous fights, where the 32-year-old often cuts a relaxed, reserved figure.

Angered by Covington's crass comment on Thursday, Edwards' emotions appeared to be close to boiling over as the pair faced off for the final time before their bout.

This should be a great fight where the unbeaten record for one of the fighters is very likely to be ended.

UFC 296: Leon Edwards cruises to victory over Colby Covington to retain welterweight title

Leon Edwards retained his welterweight title, cruising to victory over Colby Covington at UFC 296 in Las Vegas.

In a fight with few significant moments, Edwards out-struck the American and nullified many of the grappling exchanges.

An emotional Edwards then criticised Covington, who had made a crass comment about the Briton's late father in the fight build-up.

"This guy used my dad's murder as entertainment," said Edwards.

"It took a lot for me to calm down. I spoke to my mum and my team and shut it all down.

"After the press conference, I was crying backstage because of the rage. You can't use my dad's death."

UFC: Scotland's Casey O'Neill 'can't quit' after successive losses

Scotland's Casey O'Neill insisted she is still "one of the best in the world" after suffering successive UFC losses.

O'Neill, 26, suffered her second defeat in a row at flyweight to Ariane Lipski at UFC 296 last Saturday.

Lipski won via armbar submission in the third round and O'Neill said losing "sucks".

"Two losses is a hard swallow," she said on Instagram. "I am one of the best in the world and I did not prove that."

O'Neill has seen her perfect record wiped out in the space of nine months.

The Scot, who relocated to Australia as a kid, was 9-0 at the start of the year before defeats to Jennifer Maia and Lipski.

O'Neill released a statement addressing the loss and said she was stunned early in the fight and struggled to recover.

She insisted she will continue moving forward despite the losing streak.

Dustin Poirier admits career is in a 'weird spot,' waiting for UFC offer that gets him nervous

LAS VEGAS – Dustin Poirier will be the first to say his fighting career is in a weird place.

Coming off a knockout loss, but still being one of the most known and exciting fighters on the UFC roster, Poirier (29-8 MMA, 21-7 UFC) is unsure what is the appropriate next step for his trajectory in the UFC. From title fights to blockbuster pay-per-views, Poirier has been through it all. This makes his standing in the UFC’s lightweight division a difficult one to map out.

“I’m in a weird spot,” Poirier told MMA Junkie. “This is the first time I’m in this position in my whole career: still at the top but kind of waiting for something big to happen.

“I kind of just always fought, fought, fought to try to climb and claw my way to big fights, and I feel like now I’m here. I’m also running businesses outside of fighting. I have a wine market in Louisiana, I have the hot sauce company, the bourbon company. I have a lot of things going on, me and my wife full time always setting goals and working with the foundation. So just really busy outside of the cage, too, but waiting for something to really pop out that I know. I was kind of in this position before the Gaethje fight, but when they called and said Gaethje, it got me nervous and excited to fight. When I hear a name that does that to me, then I’ll know.”

Source : MMA Junkie

UFC: Lerone Murphy returns to action against Dan Ige in February​

Briton Lerone Murphy will aim to extend his undefeated record when he takes on Dan Ige at UFC Vegas 86 on 10 February

The Manchester fighter has 13 wins and one draw in his MMA career and is 15th in the featherweight rankings.

An impressive win for the 32-year-old could fire him into the top ten for the first time as a UFC fighter.

American Ige, also 32, sits two places above Murphy but lost his last fight against Bryce Mitchell in September and will compete in his 16th UFC fight.

Ige celebrates six years in the UFC in January and has 17 wins and seven losses on his overall record.

Expecting a really good fight between these two excellent fighters. I think Murphy has enough class to keep his unbeaten record in tact after this fight but it won't be straightforward.

Islam Makhachev Has Heated Exchange With Old UFC Rival​

UFC lightweight champion Islam Makhachev continues to be in a war of words with an old foe.

Makhachev has had his share of verbal exchanges. As of late, he's been taking aim at UFC welterweight champion Leon Edwards following "Rocky's" successful title defense against Colby Covington. While Makhachev wants to move forward with his career, an old foe continues to garner his attention.

Joe Rogan hosting a UFC ceremonial weigh-in event.UFC lightweight Dan Hooker recently made a thread on X to prove his point that fighters from City Kickboxing are clean athletes. He then poked fun at Russian fighters, saying the next thread should be about their history with drug testing.
Makhachev and Hooker shared the Octagon back in October 2021. Makhachev emerged victorious in the first round via submission.

Since that time, Hooker hasn't been shy on how he feels about Makhachev, calling him a "cheating dog." He even accused the 155-pound titleholder of using an IV to rehydrate following the UFC 284 weigh-ins earlier this year.

Makhachev has denied any wrongdoing. In fact, despite once being flagged by USADA in 2016, Makhachev said he was upset by the news that the anti-doping agency and the UFC parted ways. In regards to the 2016 ordeal, Makhachev was cleared by USADA and his provisional suspension was lifted after they determined his innocence.

Source : Fan Nation

Islam Makhachev is not a hot headed guys but when he is speaking something foul then surely something is cooking beneath.

UFC boss Dana White has promised to "figure something out" with Conor McGregor about his fighting return.

McGregor hasn't fought since breaking his leg in his trilogy fight against Dustin Poirier over two years ago but is now poised to make his UFC return against Michael Chandler. The fight was expected to take place this month but was delayed as McGregor was not enrolled in the promotion's drug-testing pool.

UFC 300 in April was then being discussed as a potential date but that was off the table when White insisted that McGregor won't return until the summer. White has now given an update about McGregor's return as he said on Instagram Live: "We talked tonight. I'm in Abu Dhabi, he's in Dubai. We're gonna figure something out. We're talking."

Source : Mirror.co.uk

UFC 300 News: Alex Pereira Shuts Down Rumors of Third Title Bid​

Following a successful light heavyweight debut against Jan Błachowicz at UFC 291, Pereira met former champion Jiří Procházka for the division’s vacant belt in the main event of UFC 295. “Poatan” stopped Procházka with strikes late in the second round, and the victory put the Brazilian on the short list of fighters that have held UFC titles in multiple weight classes.

A recent social media post from the former middleweight champion prompted speculation that Pereira might be eyeing a meeting with interim heavyweight titleholder Tom Aspinall at UFC 300, but the 36-year-old was quick to dismiss that suggestion during a recent interview with The Mac Life.

“Well, fought at middleweight and then had to listen to [my] body to go up and fight at light heavyweight,” Pereira said through his translator. “[I’m] a fighter bro, [I’m] willing to fight. [I’ll] fight anybody, anywhere. But, this kind of thing – [I have] the height and [am] basically the size of a heavyweight, but this is the kind of thing that has to be programmed, put some work in, it’s not something to just jump in on an adventure like that.”

Pereira and Procházka headlined UFC 295 after Jon Jones was forced to pull out of his heavyweight title defense against Stipe Miocic, and Aspinall ended up claiming the interim heavyweight belt in the card’s co-main event when he knocked out Sergei Pavlovich in the first round.

There have been a few champion-versus-champion matchups rumored for UFC 300, but even if Pereira won’t challenge for a third UFC title at that event the Brazilian didn’t rule out a possible move to heavyweight somewhere down the line.

Chael Sonnen claims to know who Israel Adesanya is fighting at UFC 300 in 2024​

Losing by decision against Sean Strickland hit Israel Adesanya hard, he even stated he would be taking a long break until 2027. But when he spoke to the media during the 'Day of Reckoning' boxing event, he hinted that was only a joke. That opens the window of many different possibilities that could also include him as part of the historic UFC 300 event. A show in Las Vegas in which every major star in the company wants to be featured. But President Dana White will only select a limited number of fighters to be part of that card. He just revealed that he would be making announcements soon, possibly this Friday. Still no news on who might Israel Adesanya fight but someone claims to know the answer to that question.

The former UFC star said this on his Youtube channel: "The reason that Strickland and Du Plessis was rushed to the marketplace is because the winner is going to take on Izzy at UFC 300. That isn't done, which I have also made very clear, but that is the option that is tempting to be preserved the most. Izzy has spoken on this, Izzy hasn't given us a commitment but he has come close. One thing that I do prefer is that Izzy goes first. I would prefer that Izzy prior to Strickland vs. Du Plessis goes first and says I'll be waiting for you in April at 300."

He added: "The reason is because while I know that is the match they are trying to procure, if Izzy goes second, which means we've established who the winner is and then Izzy makes his choice it gives the perception that it's a favorable matchup in Izzy's opinion. I will agree to it after I know specifically who it is. That isn't how Izzy operates. That is not part of the Israel Adesanya story, he takes on anybody, he takes on the hardest guys, so I would just prefer that he went first." Could Chael Sonnen be on the money with this?

Source : Marca

Conor McGregor says he will make UFC return against Michael Chandler in June​

Ireland's Conor McGregor says he will make his UFC return against Michael Chandler in Las Vegas on 29 June.

Former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion McGregor has not fought since breaking a leg against Dustin Poirier in July 2021.

In a video on social media, 35-year-old McGregor said it would be the "greatest comeback of all time".

He said the fight will be at middleweight, which neither he nor Chandler has fought at.

The UFC has not commented on McGregor's announcement.

"Ladies and gentleman, a Happy New Year to you all. I would like to announce the return date for myself," said McGregor.

"The Notorious Conor McGregor. For the greatest comeback of all time will take place in Las Vegas for International Fight Week on June 29th. The opponent, Michael Chandler. The weight, Mr Chandler. 185lb."

Chandler responded by saying: "I always said I wanted you at your biggest, your baddest and your best. 185 would look good on me."

McGregor and American Chandler were coaches on the UFC's reality TV series The Ultimate Fighter this year.

Traditionally, the coaches fight each other, but the bout was delayed after it emerged McGregor was not part of the United States Anti-Doping Agency's (Usada) testing pool.

McGregor returned to the pool in October, but the UFC has since said it is ending its partnership with Usada to launch a new anti-doping programme.

Chandler also lost to Poirier in his most recent fight, beaten by third-round submission in New York in November 2022.

UFC is so much better to watch when he is competing. He is such a showman.

Jorge Masvidal comes out of retirement: Nate Diaz, Gaethje, Covington and Jake Paul possible opponents

But now, the two-time UFC welterweight title challenger has written a very clear message on social media simply reading, "Not retired".

Since leaving the octagon he showed interest in participating in some boxing match that would bring him a big purse and his name has been linked to Jake Paul. He also noted in MMA Fighting that he would only return to UFC for "something crazy".

Who could he fight?
Masvidal, a Latino representative in the UFC, also reacted when Justin Gaethje knocked out Dustin Poirier at UFC 291 in July 2023 and challenged 'The Highlight' after he won the BMF (Baddest Mother F**ker) title in that fight.

"If I come back, he [Gaethje] would have to defend this title to me," said 'Gamebred,' who had been the holder of such a singular distinction.

Although Nate Diaz is currently no longer tied to UFC, fans have embraced the idea of a Diaz-Masvidal rematch at UFC 300 on April 13.

There are currently three fights scheduled for this event (Jii Prochazka-Aleksandar Raki / Aljamain Sterling-Calvin Kattar / Bo Nickal-Cody Brundage), but the lineup is in its infancy and lacking in names with much more hooks.

Another rumored option should Masvidal return to the UFC is Colby Covington, to add more spice to the veterans' rivalry.

Masvidal holds a full MMA record of 52 fights, 35 wins (16 KOs/17 by decision) and 17 losses (two Kos/13 by decision) and retired on the back of losing four consecutive fights from 2020-2023, including two to Kamaru.

Source : Marca

Ufc star Bryce Mitchell will not participate in any contact training for the next several months as he continues to recover from a devastating knockout.

Mitchell suffered a brutal knockout during a Dec. 12 bout with Josh Emmett. The knockout made rounds across the internet partly due to the brutality of the right hand landed by Emmett.

Mitchell's body went into convulsions just second after he fell to the ground. The featherweight was eventually able to regain consciousness, although he did need assistance to make his way out of the Octagon. Mitchell now says he will miss training for at least six months.

I'm on my own concussion protocol," Mitchell told ESPN. "I'll consult with my coaches, too, and we're basically just saying, 'You know, don't spar for six months.' I've got to [build a new house] and [expecting my first child], but then I'm right into my next training camp after that. The good thing is that I don't have to rush into it."

Mitchell only agreed to the bout after Emmett's original opponent, Giga Chikadze, was forced to drop out to deal with an injury. He revealed that he also sometimes goes into convulsions when he is resting.

Source : UFC

Farid Basharat fears that he won't be allowed to carry the Afghanistan flag on his walkout

Farid Basharat is certain that the UFC will bar him from walking out with an Afghanistan flag for his next fight. He believes this to be the case given that his older brother, Javid Basharat, was stopped from carrying out an Afghan flag despite the UFC flag ban being overturned.

The surging bantamweight is also English, having moved to England as a refugee with his mother and brother. Regardless, the 26-year-old would like to represent his ancestral homeland. While the UFC hasn't outright denied him the chance, he has more than enough reason to believe it will.

"I would love to walk out with the flag, but I don't think they're allowing the Afghanistan flag. Not the Afghanistan flag. We tried in Abu Dhabi for Javid, and they said no. Because they don't recognize the current government flag, and the old one is not an official flag. So what flag are you going to bring out? The Afghanistan flag I still a no-no."

It is worth noting that Afghanistan is currently under the rule of the Taliban, whose government is yet to be globally recognized, which may very well be a major reason behind the UFC's reluctance. Basharat said as much during his interview with MMA Fighting, while also touching on whether he's representing his people well.

"I'm always thinking am I doing right by my people? Am I reflecting on my community correctly? Me and Javid are always going to represent our people, but it's a shame we're not allowed to just carry our flag."
Unfortunately, he and his brothers aren't the only ones who have run into flag-related issues. Edmen Shahbazyan once courted controversy for carrying the flag of the Republic of Artsakh, an unrecognized breakaway state that has since collapsed.

What are Farid Basharat and Javid Basharat's UFC records?

Farid Basharat competes at bantamweight and has been identified as a high-potential prospect, with a record of 11 wins and no losses. He stormed his way into the UFC after an impressive unanimous decision win on Dana White's Contender Series. Thus far, he has won two UFC fights.

Check out Farid Basharat submitting Kleydson Rodrigues in the clip below:

Meanwhile, Javid Basharat, his older brother of two years, also competes at bantamweight. He is unbeaten as well, with a record of 13 wins, one no-contest and no losses. The no-contest stemmed from an accidental groin kick that left his opponent Victor Henry unable to continue.

Thus far, the older Basharat brother has won three of his four UFC fights.

Source : Sportskeeda

Belal Muhammad will head across the world ahead of his potential UFC title fight vs. Leon Edwards and hopes to pick the brains of one of the all-time greats.

It won’t be the first time, but Muhammad (23-3 MMA, 14-3 UFC) will travel to Dagestan to get work in with notables from the region. He hopes to once again get advice from Khabib Nurmagomedov, whom he’s become close with over the years as the two share the same manager.

“I’m planning for sure to go to Dagestan and train with those guys, like you said, to get a new look, to get different feels,” Muhammad recently told MMA Junkie Radio. “Those guys don’t let you take any days off or any easy rounds. That’s always perfect for me. Last time I trained with those guys, we got a dominant finish and I plan to do the same thing.”

When asked if Nurmagomedov has ever led him astray, Muhammad said never. He takes the advice given to him by “The Eagle” as invaluable, a great compliment to the unique training environment Nurmagomedov has established in his team’s training sessions.

“A lot of their stuff that we do when we go live or we go hard is like we’re working,” Muhammad said. “Over here, I do a lot of specific drilling with my team, my guys here. When it’s over there, I’ve got to be ready to go. I’ve got to be ready to be in shape. It’s an uncomfortable feeling. A lot of these guys, they’re not who I’m with every single day. So every round is a lot harder. Every round feels like it’s a new fight. I think that’s an advantage for me because with a lot of these fighters, you don’t get that uncomfortable feeling until you get to fight night where it’s like, ‘Alright, now it’s finally here. I’ve been thinking about this guy for a month.’ You’ve had looks, but you haven’t had the specific guy who’s in front of you right now.

“For me, when I’m over there with those guys, every single one of those guys is a beast and they all have their own style. Every round, you have that uncomfortable feeling of butterflies in your stomach. Here, when I go with my guys, my teammates, you know who’s a hard round. You know what they do. You see them every day. You know what they’re good at. You know what they’re not good at. It’s more of a calm feeling. But when you go with somebody new, somebody different, a new training partner, it gives you that ‘all right’ in your chest a little bit. It makes you go that much harder. It makes you go that much harder. It makes you get a little bit more tired. It makes you have to think more on your feet.”

Source: USA Today

Dana White announces huge UFC 300 fight with major title implications as former champion returns

MMA fans across the globe are expecting the UFC brass to make the Sin City card chock-a-block with thrilling fights worthy of the historic number.

And White's latest public addition to the eagerly-anticipated event has gone some way to doing just that.

Early on Monday morning, the promotion's president and CEO announced the eagerly-anticipated return of former lightweight champion Charles Oliveira.

Oliveira will be welcomed back to the octagon by surging 155lbs contender Arman Tsarukyan, who is riding a three-fight win streak.

Taking to Instagram to announce the fight, White said: "For UFC 300, No.1-ranked lightweight Charles Oliveira is taking on the No.4-ranked Arman Tsarukayn in a No.1 Contender fight."

The winner of Oliveira vs Tsarukyan will face current lightweight champion Islam Makhachev in the summer.

White added: "Oliveira was supposed to fight the champ Islam Makhachev but Islam is still recovering from an injury.

"Tsarukyan is coming off a vicious knockout of Beneil Dariush.

"The winner will face Islam when he returns this summer."

Oliveira vs Tsarukyan is only the FOURTH fight to be officially announced for UFC 300.

Former men's bantamweight and light-heavyweight champions Aljamain Sterling and Jiri Prochazka will be action on the card, taking on Calvin Kattar and Aleksandr Rakic respectively.

Middleweight prospect Bo Nickal will also feature on the card, locking horns with veteran Cody Brundage.

The announcement of Oliveira vs Tsarukyan came just days after White revealed he's set to confirm more UFC 300 fight news on Tuesday.

During a recent Instagram Live, the UFC's president and CEO said: “I’ll have more fights for you on Tuesday.

“I get home Sunday, and I’ll have more fights for UFC 300 on Tuesday.”

He added: "UFC 300, I know everyone is waiting for that. I'm on vacation, I get home on Sunday.

"Tuesday is matchmaking and I'll start ripping off some fights for 300 and making some announcements.

"Maybe I'll do one while I'm here [in Bali]."

Source: The Sun

Jon Jones: Injured UFC heavyweight champion has elbow surgery

UFC heavyweight champion Jon Jones has had elbow surgery while he continues his recovery from a pectoral injury.

The American, 36, tore a pectoral muscle in October, causing his fight against Stipe Miocic at UFC 295 to be cancelled.

Britain's Tom Aspinall replaced Jones, stepping in on 17 days' notice to beat Sergei Pavlovich for the interim belt.

In a video on Instagram, Jones said he has used his recovery period to "kill two birds" and also fix his elbow.

"We had a two-hour surgery shaving down some bone spurs. The good news is it's about a 10-week healing process, and I'm out for months anyway, because of this pec surgery," said Jones.

"So I thought I'd just kill two birds and get this elbow taken care of once and for all.

"I appreciate all the support. Your boy's back in the sling, back on this recovery journey. Still on this recovery journey. Sometimes you have to take a small step back in order to move forward, and I'm patient. I will be back."

Jones' elbow operation is not expected to affect the eight-month recovery period from his pectoral injury.

Jones is a former light-heavyweight champion. With 27 wins in 29 bouts over a 15-year career, he is widely regarded as the best MMA fighter of all time.

UFC president Dana White has said Jones will face former two-time champion Miocic, 41, when he returns, much to the dismay of Aspinall, who voiced objections to the plan on social media last week.

"Surely if you're interim champ, your next fight should be to fight for undisputed? Come on," said Aspinall., external

"Stipe is one of my favourites. Loads of respect to him. His resume is far superior to mine right now. That being said, the UFC has never been about this. It's about who's the best right now, and I believe that's me and it's only right I get to prove it."

BBC

UFC 300: Khabib Nurmagomedov's Coach Clears Air on Possible Blockbuster Return

With UFC 300 exactly three months away, MMA fans still eagerly anticipate the promotion's plan for a blockbuster headliner.

With champions Sean O'Malley, Alexander Volkanovski, and Sean Strickland headling their respective cards, the UFC has few suitable options to create a main event with star power potential.

One of those possibilities that won't come to fruition is a long-awaited return from former UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov, who retired in Jan. 2021 after putting together a 29-0 (13-0 UFC) run.

In a tweet posted by MMA journalist Helen Yee, Nurmagomedov's former coach, Javier Mendez, clarified Nurmagomedov's recent training videos and his purpose for visiting him.

MMA: Bellator champions to fight PFL champions on 24 February in Saudi Arabia

The Professional Fighters League has announced the first champion versus champion card against Bellator since acquiring their rival MMA promotion.

Saudi Arabia will host the card in Riyadh on 24 February.

A heavyweight fight between Bellator champion Ryan Bader and PFL champion Renan Ferreira headlines.

The card also features three more champion versus champion fights at middleweight, featherweight and welterweight.

Bellator's middleweight champion Johnny Eblen faces PFL champion Impa Kasanganay in an all-American contest.

At welterweight, Bellator's Jason Jackson will fight Russian PFL champion Magomed Magomedkerimov, and at featherweight, Bellator's Patricio 'Pitbull' Freire will face Jesus Pinedo.

The PFL purchased Bellator in November and said Bellator would continue as one-off events, as well as on champion versus champion fight cards.

The event in Saudi Arabia will also see a string of the two promotions' best contenders go toe-to-toe.

Former Bellator featherweight champion AJ McKee will fight PFL contender Clay Collard in a lightweight contest.

McKee, 28, has only ever fought under the Bellator banner having made his professional debut with the company.

Two-weight undisputed boxing champion Claressa Shields will also feature in her third pro MMA fight against Kelsey DeSantis.

Shields, 28, has one win and one loss in her MMA career and competes at lightweight against fellow American DeSantis, who has one win and two losses on her record.

Bellator fighters Vadim Nemkov, Yoel Romero and Aaron Pico will also appear on the card.

The event represents a crucial moment for MMA after the two biggest promotions outside the UFC joined forces last year.

It also sees MMA join boxing in staging massive fights during Saudi Arabia's Riyadh Season - one of the world's largest winter entertainment events.

Oleksandr Usyk and Tyson Fury's undisputed heavyweight fight will take place on 17 February in the Gulf kingdom, before Anthony Joshua faces former UFC champion Francis Ngannou in a boxing match on 9 March.

Saudi Arabia has ploughed millions of dollars into staging huge sporting events, with critics saying the unprecedented spending is being used to enhance the oil-producing kingdom's international reputation and deflect from its human rights record and environmental impact.

However, in a recent interview with the BBC, Saudi Arabia's sports minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al Faisal said claims of 'sportswashing' were "very shallow", insisting the investment is boosting the country's economy, opening it up to tourism and inspiring people to be more active.

Morning Report: Sean Strickland says he hasn’t watched Israel Adesanya win, doesn’t watch opponents’ fight​

2023 was the year of the underdog in MMA and arguably none proved that more than MMA Fighting’s Fighter of the Year, Strickland. The reigning UFC middleweight king won three bouts in a row after looking like he was tumbling down the rankings into gatekeeper status with back-to-back losses to close out 2022. Here we are in the first month of 2024 and “Tarzan” will defend his title for the first time against Dricus Du Plessis in UFC 297’s main event this Saturday night.

Strickland’s crowning moment came in Sydney, Australia at UFC 293 in September when he dethroned Israel Adesanya by unanimous decision. With the former two-time champion as his opponent and the performance he put on in consideration, it was inarguably the best Strickland has ever looked as he won four rounds to one across the judges’ scorecards. Even though it was the highlight it was, Strickland hasn’t watched it yet and likely won’t.

“I actually haven’t even watched that fight yet,” Strickland told ESPN.

The matchup with Du Plessis quickly appeared to become a grudge match of sorts after the pair’s initial encounters. For “Stillknocks,” he’s unbeaten in the UFC with six straight wins (eight overall, 20-2 record) and can make history as South Africa’s first UFC champion. Stylistically, Du Plessis is an entertaining finisher with only one decision in his winning streak (five KO/TKOs, two submissions).

Source: MMA FIGHTING

Authenticity can be hard to come by in the mixed martial arts game.

During the UFC's 30-year existence, there has been no shortage of brash characters. Some manage to back up their talk with performances inside the octagon, but many fall short under the bright lights.

UFC featherweight Arnold Allen is quite the opposite.

Ipswich's Allen regularly delivers in the cage, having won 19 of his 22 fights, and rarely opts to engage in verbal jousting with his rivals.

"I feel like the first half of my career, I got flak," Allen tells BBC Sport.

"I got people telling me that I've got no character and that I don't say anything. It's just because I'm a humble guy. I'm a fighter - I don't need to talk.

"I just do my training and believe in my skillset. I don't feel I need to go out there and ruffle any feathers. It's not me."

Instead, the 29-year-old reserves his talking for YouTube.

Allen, who goes by the nickname Almighty, started posting videos two years ago, primarily featuring his dad Pacer, a former British strongman, before moving on to make predictions on upcoming UFC events.

He has since branched out with his content, rating 'meal deals' from various supermarkets across the UK, showing his skills, or lack of, in the kitchen with a series called 'Almighty Cooking Blighty' and spending time with Fish, his cat.

"I'm trying to be my authentic self," Allen, ranked number four in the featherweight division, says.

"The joke is that I'm a bad chef. I love eating - that's a passion for sure.

"A fight career is only short, it's not the longest and it doesn't really come with a retirement plan. I'm trying to build something up. I have my own brand and I push things through YouTube.

"It lets people know that you're a bit of a character. It also keeps your name out there. It goes hand in hand and helps with the fights. Maybe you're more relevant and you're more likely to get opportunities than if you stay quiet and do nothing."

Allen was on the verge of earning a title shot when he last stepped into the octagon in April 2023, but a unanimous decision defeat by former featherweight champion Max Holloway in Kansas City halted a 12-fight win streak - the final 10 of those in the UFC - and put that dream on hold.

He struggled with mental and physical health in the aftermath and admits to feeling frustrated at the length of time he has been inactive.

Speaking about what he has been working on since his defeat by Holloway, Allen says: "I don't think it was technical issues, more like mental things and health and injuries.

"Life gets you sometimes and it's not even career related or training related. I dedicate my life to doing this sport and it sucks when you can't compete or, even when you're ready to compete, you're not offered fights.

"It's [mental health] something I dealt with internally. I have a real solid team, a team of world champions, Olympians, doctors, friends and all sorts. There is a great team around us, knowledgeable people that have been there and experienced things before."

Allen has the opportunity to return to the win column this weekend at UFC 297 in Toronto, Canada, when he faces number nine-ranked featherweight Movsar Evloev, 29, who is yet to lose in 17 fights.

Allen has spent the past 12 weeks in his "second home" Montreal, where he has family and has visited often since 2015, training at Tristar gym, which boasts retired former two-weight UFC champion Georges St-Pierre as a coach.

"I've done the longest camp of my life for this one - I've been ready for four months," says Allen.

"I'm ready to go, fully prepared and all bases covered.

"I want to put my name in the hat [for a title shot]. I want to have a good performance and make myself eligible for that title shot. I had a 10-fight win streak [in the UFC] before losing a close decision to one of the best in the division of all time.

"If I go out and make a dominant performance, I think I make a good claim for it."

BBC Sport

Don't expect UFC fighter Sean Strickland to face discipline for homophobic tirade in Toronto​

Wednesday afternoon, Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight champion Sean Strickland responded to a series of questions from a journalist named Alexander K. Lee with a string of insults.

Among the lowlights:

"You're an infection."

"You're the definition of weakness."

"Everything that is wrong with the world is because of f***ing you."

Strickland, who defends his title Saturday night in the main event of UFC 297 at Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, said some things we can't print here, and other stuff we'll address later. Vile, bitter, bigoted stuff that, if it had come from an MLB or NFL player, would have generated headlines, and led to some combination of fine and suspension.

But if you're waiting for the UFC to discipline Strickland for the outburst ... don't.

Sometime between 2013, when the company suspended Nate Diaz for a homophobic twitter post, and last September, when a pair of athletes punctuated post-fight interviews with anti-gay slurs without sanction from the company, the UFC seems to have exited the business of policing fighters' speech.

When it comes to monetizing their time in the spotlight through apparel deals and kit sponsorships, athletes have next to no leeway. The UFC has a strict set of rules regarding what athletes can wear, and fighters fall in line, even if it costs them money.

But when fighters get near a microphone, they can say what they want and apologize for it later. Or not. I expect minimal official blowback for Strickland here — he's the A-side of the main event of the UFC's first event in Toronto since 2018. He's no Georges St-Pierre in terms of mainstream appeal, but he's the face of Saturday's fight card.

And in his exchange with Lee, he's also the clear loser.

Source : CBC Sports

The UFC has its first champion from South Africa.

Dricus Du Plessis dethroned Sean Strickland in an entertaining, bloody, back-and-forth fight Saturday night in the main event of UFC 297 here at Scotiabank Arena. The final result was a split decision (48-47, 47-48, 48-47) for Du Plessis. It very easily could have gone Strickland's way, too.

"When they said, 'and new,' it felt like 15 years of work, dreaming and sacrificing came together in one single sentence," Du Plessis said. "It was incredible, it feels surreal. Amazing."

Upon the scorecards being read, Du Plessis called for the South African flag.

"This is history," Du Plessis said in his postfight interview.

Strickland had a lot of success early in the fight with a nasty, piston-like jab. Du Plessis not only struggled to defend it but had trouble getting off his own offense due to that. Du Plessis called Strickland's jab "super, super, super" good.

"It feels like somebody hits you with a rock," he said. "It's very deceptive when he throws the jab, and he can turn it into a left hook. He does that really, really well."

In the third and fourth rounds, Du Plessis turned things around in a major way, cutting Strickland near his left eye and hurting him with a big right hand. Du Plessis said that was by design, that his game plan was to play Strickland's game in the first two rounds and turn it on in the third. Strickland closed well in the fifth, but Du Plessis proved his mettle in a championship fight, silencing critics of his cardio.

"Who says I'm not a five-round fighter?" Du Plessis said.

UFC CEO Dana White said he thought Strickland won the hotly contested bout. Strickland actually landed more significant strikes, 173-137.

"I had it 2-2 going into the last round and I thought Strickland won the last round," White said. "Guys who were sitting at the same table [as me] had it going the other way. ... But I'm also a guy who believes you have to take it from the champion."

Du Plessis said in the postfight news conference that any thought that Strickland won was "bulls---."

Judges Derek Cleary and Eric Colon had Du Plessis winning the second, third and fourth rounds. Judge Sal D'Amato, the lone judge scoring it for Strickland, had Strickland winning the first, third and fifth rounds.

Saturday marked the fourth straight UFC middleweight title fight in which the belt changed hands. Alex Pereira beat Israel Adesanya in November 2022 and Adesanya won the title back from Pereira last April before dropping the title to Strickland last September. Du Plessis vs. Strickland was the first UFC middleweight title fight without Adesanya since November 2017.

Afterward, Du Plessis called for a matchup against rival Adesanya, who has said he will be taking time off from the Octagon.

Adesanya and Du Plessis had a confrontation in the cage in July. The two were supposed to fight in September, but Du Plessis suffered a foot injury. Du Plessis said fighting Adesanya at UFC 300 on April 13 "sounds amazing."

White said Du Plessis "absolutely, positively can be the guy" to headline the UFC's first card in Africa, which White and company have been working on for years.

Coming in, ESPN had Du Plessis ranked No. 2 and Strickland ranked No. 5 in the world at middleweight.

Du Plessis (21-2) has won nine straight and is 7-0 in the UFC. The Pretoria native was coming off a TKO win over former champion Robert Whittaker at UFC 290 in July. Du Plessis, 30, is a former two-division EFC champion and KSW champion. Du Plessis was +900 to win by decision on ESPN BET.

Strickland (28-6), 32, won the middleweight title by shocking Adesanya via a dominant unanimous decision at UFC 293. The California native, who lives and trains in Las Vegas, had a three-fight winning streak snapped but has won eight of 11 since moving up to 185 pounds in 2020.

Strickland posted on X that a headbutt during the fight caused the cut near his eye and made it difficult for him to see. Du Plessis said he didn't recall a clash of heads. Both men were bloody and banged up after the bout. Du Plessis came to the postfight news conference on crutches and with two swollen eyes.

"You remember how handsome I was before the fight?" Du Plessis said. "I look like a cauliflower now."

Source: ABC

Sean Strickland’s headbutt claim after losing UFC belt

American UFC villain Sean Strickland claims an illegal tactic cost him the middleweight belt to South African rival Dricus du Plessis.

Sean Strickland claims he was illegally headbutted by Dricus du Plessis during his narrow loss at UFC 297 on Sunday.

Du Plessis made history in the octagon, becoming the first ever South African-born UFC champion after claiming the middleweight title from the American.

Strickland shocked the world with his last fight when he defeated Israel Adesanya in one of the promotion’s all-time boilovers.

But his reign has lasted just one fight after the 30-year-old won via split decision to get his first taste of UFC glory.

The 48-47x2, 47-48 victory was as close as it could possibly be with the third round the swing round as two judges gave it to du Plessis while the other gave it to Strickland.

It’s often said damage gets you wins in UFC and that proved to be the case as a nasty cut opened up around Strickland’s left eye midway through the fight.

Strickland was constantly wiping blood from face and he later claimed on social media a headbutt affected his vision.

He wrote on Twitter: “Well f*** haha... man that headbutt really made it difficult to see but I thought we got the job done. Blood and all!!! Onto the next one!!! Thanks everyone who supported me!!!!!!”

Replays show Strickland starting bleeding from his face in the fourth round, and the cut got worse when he tangled with du Plessis against the fence.

Du Plessis was just as battered and sported a gruesome eye injury that bulged over.

The result goes into the book as a win and du Plessis is the newest UFC champion.

A lot of folks feel Sean was robbed and I agree. Could be that UFC doesn’t want him as champ because being this unfiltered as a person in this day and age means less endorsements and sponsors because everyone has to be politically correct.

Deserves a rematch for sure. Du Plesis (Faf’s distant bro) had considerable damage on him compared to Sean.

Take downs should be given less weightage if after taking someone down you don’t really do anything. This is cricket’s version of stat padding and hitting 100 SR 40s in t20s

Open scoring: Oktagon fighters' opinion split after system used at Newcastle show​

Before British mixed martial artist Stuart Austin starts the second round of his heavyweight fight against Adam Palasz, he looks up and sees something which changes the dynamic of the bout.

Austin, 35, notices on the big screens inside the Utilita Arena in Newcastle that the judges have awarded the first round to his opponent.

The concept of open scoring between rounds - allowing fighters to see how judges are assessing a fight - is rare in MMA, with European promotion Oktagon adopting it for the first time in December before bringing it to the UK.

Realising he's losing the fight, Austin ups his aggression, knocking Palasz down with an elbow before submitting him with an arm triangle.

"I liked the open scoring. I looked up and there were the scores and I was like 'Oh flipping heck I lost that round - I better go and throw a few more punches and kicks and try a bit harder'," said Austin.

"I liked it. It actually affected my strategy a bit and I pushed a bit harder."

Czech-Slovak promotion Oktagon held their first UK show in Manchester in November, but the event in Newcastle marked their debut on British soil using open scoring.

US-based promotion Invicta Fighting Championships has trialled the system in the past, but the majority of organisations such as the UFC, PFL and Bellator stick to the more traditional format of judges' scorecards being revealed after the fight.

In a close bout this prevents fighters from coasting at the end as they cannot be sure if they are ahead on the scorecards, and it builds anticipation and excitement for fans around the announcement of the winner.

The case against open scoring
But there are people opposed to the traditional format, with some questionable judging decisions prompting discussions about open scoring in recent years.

Following Ketlen Vieira's split decision win over Holly Holm in May 2022, MMA journalist Ariel Helwani advocated for open scoring,, external writing it would help hold judges more accountable for their decisions and give fighters a better understanding of where they stand.

UFC commentator Jon Anik welcomed the discussion, but warned open scoring could lead to fans putting too much pressure on fighters in the latter rounds.

Jack Cartwright, who lost by decision to Jonas Magard in the main event in Newcastle, suggested open scoring takes excitement away from fights.

"I want to finish the fight. I'm not in there to play the point scoring game. I don't like the open scoring - I don't like it as a fan, I don't like it as a fighter," said Cartwright.

"Say you're up two rounds but you don't know, you might have to risk a little bit more which lets the other guy back into the fight, and I think that makes a fight more exciting."

Oktagon co-owner Pavol Neruda says he has received mostly positive feedback on open scoring, and had opted to implement it to provide more transparency for fighters and fans alike.

"We believe it's the right thing to do. Why doesn't it exist? It should exist because it's fair," said Neruda.

"It's more entertainment for fans and I'm super-curious why it's not in the sport since day one."

UFC Fight Night 239: McKenna feeling '100%' and ready to bring back 'the good old Cory'

Welsh strawweight Cory McKenna says she feels "100%" and is ready to bring back "the good old Cory".

After a year plagued with health issues, McKenna is preparing to return to action at UFC Fight Night 239 on 16 March.

The 24-year-old will fight Brazil's Jaqueline Amorim in Las Vegas.

It marks the Cwmbran fighter's first bout since December 2022, when she beat Cheyanne Vlismas by unanimous decision.

McKenna picked up respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) during fight week, the first of many health problems she experienced in the 12 months thereafter.

The RSV was the first of three back-to-back viral infections for McKenna, who also suffered from long Covid and a couple of concussions.

"It was a tricky year, a lot of adversity and really rough from a health standpoint," McKenna told BBC Sport Wales.

"From a life standpoint, I got a lot done, bought a house, got married so there were a lot of perks."

But from a training point it was a frustrating time for McKenna, who says she could not even walk up stairs without her heart rate hitting 200 beats per minute.

"There was a point where I didn't know how my recovery was going to go or if I was going to recover," she said.

Bellator: Karl Moore to face Corey Anderson for light-heavyweight title in Belfast​

Ireland's Karl Moore will face American Corey Anderson for the vacant Bellator light-heavyweight title in Belfast on 22 March.

Moore, 32, beat Alex Polizzi in June for his fourth successive win and will compete for his first world title.

Russia's Vadim Nemkov vacated the belt earlier this month to move up to heavyweight.

It is the first Bellator-branded show since the MMA promotion was acquired by the Professional Fighters League.

The organisation has not held an event since Bellator 301 in Chicago in November, one week before the deal with the PFL was finalised.

In the co-main event, Leah McCourt will fight Sinead Kavanagh in a rematch of their fight in 2022.

Dublin's Kavanagh, 38, won that fight on points despite a horrific knee injury and comes into the contest off the back of a defeat to American Sara Collins.

McCourt, 31, has the chance to avenge the defeat, fighting in front of her hometown fans for the first time as a pro MMA fighter.

The Belfast fighter was originally slated to take on featherweight champion Cris Cyborg, before Kavanagh was drafted in as an opponent.

After Nemkov vacated the title, 39-year-old Anderson was next in line to fight for the belt, having beaten former world champion Phil Davis last June.

Moore, who first fought in Bellator in 2019, is aiming to become the first Irish champion in the promotion's history.

Peter Queally (lightweight) and Kavanagh (featherweight) have both failed in recent attempts to achieve the feat.

Moore has won 12 of his 14 fights since making his professional debut in 2011.

UFC 298 has an unexpected opening.

“TUF 29” middleweight runner up Tresean Gore is out due to a shoulder injury, he revealed in a series of Instagram stories Wednesday.

One of the stories featured Dr. John Tokish, of the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix, who explained Gore’s injuries, which include a labral tear, paralabral cyst, and likely Grade 2 AC joint separation.

“I don’t think he’s going to be ready in 12 days to be able to protect himself,” Tokish said.

Gore (4-2 MMA, 1-2 UFC) was expected to fight AJ Dobson (7-2 MMA, 1-2 UFC) on the Feb. 17 preliminary card at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

“Gutted posting this, but the UFC didn’t clear me to fight. I initially was gonna fight anyway, but my Coach made me (get) a MRI because he didn’t want me fighting with one Arm!” Gore wrote. “Man I don’t understand why some things happen

Source: MMA Junkies

MMA: Fabian Edwards faces Aaron Jeffery in number one contender fight​

Fabian Edwards will make his return to action against Aaron Jeffery at Bellator 302 on 22 March in Belfast.

The Englishman, 30, lost to middleweight champion Johnny Eblen in his most recent fight in September.

But Edwards can fire himself right back into title contention by beating Canada's Jeffery to become the number one contender to Eblen's belt.

Edwards has 12 wins and three losses in his career compared to Jeffery's 14 victories and four defeats.

Bellator 302 will be headlined by Karl Moore's light-heavyweight title bout against Corey Anderson.

Belfast fighter Leah McCourt is also in action against Sinead Kavanagh in a rematch of their 2022 encounter, which the Dublin fighter won.

It is the first Bellator event since the MMA promotion was acquired by the Professional Fighters League (PFL).

The PFL intend to hold as many as eight Bellator-branded fight nights in 2024, but some of their biggest stars are expected to cross over to compete in the PFL's regular season in America or in the PFL Europe series.

Bellator's middleweight champion Eblen is scheduled to fight his PFL counterpart Impa Kasanganay on 24 February in Saudi Arabia in the first event where PFL pit their champions against Bellator's.

Edwards is a very good fighter and I think he has a very good chance of beating Jeffery.

he is already finished and should do something else​

====

UFC News: Conor McGregor's Comeback 'Not As Easy' As It Looks, Says Dana White​

White details the issues that are holding up McGregor.

There's a lot of working cogs that come with making Conor McGregor's next fight... UFC CEO Dana White would know.

By the time he does return, it will have been about three years since the UFC superstar was in the heat of battle– with his last fight ending due to a brutal leg injury at the hands of Dustin Poirier at UFC 264.

Fast forward to 2024 and the recovered McGregor is gunning for a fight, which still hasn't been booked despite his desires to get back in the Octagon ASAP.

UFC 298: Ilia Topuria shocks Alexander Volkanovski to win featherweight title​

Ilia Topuria stunned Alexander Volkanovski with a second-round knockout to win the featherweight title at UFC 298 in Anaheim, California.

Georgian-Spaniard Topuria, 27, floored Australia's Volkanovski with a crushing right hook to claim his maiden championship.

The win ended 35-year-old Volkanovski's glittering featherweight reign of five title defences over four years.

"They say you can't do it, but trust yourself, work hard," said Topuria.

"Anything is possible. Look at me now."

Victory at the Honda Centre extended Topuria's unbeaten record to 15 fights and realised his potential as the world champion many pundits have predicted.

On the undercard, Irish welterweight Ian Machado Garry earned a split decision win over American Geoff Neal.

Machado Garry, 26, displayed a patient approach to out-strike Neal, 33, over three rounds and extend the unbeaten start to his career to 14 fights.

Following the event, it was announced that Brazil's Alex Pereira will defend his light-heavyweight title against American Jamahal Hill in the main event of UFC 300 in Las Vegas on 13 April.

Leah McCourt has withdrawn from her rematch with Sinead Kavanagh in Belfast because of an injury.

The Belfast fighter was due to face Dubliner Kavanagh at Bellator 302 on 22 March.

But McCourt announced she had suffered a "broken rib and torn oblique" in a sparring accident and may now require surgery on her abdominal muscle.

"All I ever wanted to do was have the chance to fight in Belfast so this is especially devastating," McCourt said.

McCourt, 31, was aiming to gain revenge over Kavanagh, who beat her on points in their first fight in Dublin in 2022.

The featherweight has fought three times since then, losing once.

Francis Ngannou: Cameroon fighter to make PFL debut against winner of Ryan Bader and Renan Ferreira​

Francis Ngannou will make his Professional Fighters League debut against the winner of Saturday's bout between Ryan Bader and Renan Ferreira.

The 37-year-old joined the PFL last year but is set to box Britain's Anthony Joshua in Riyadh on 8 March.

Ngannou lost narrowly to Tyson Fury on his boxing debut in October.

PFL chief Peter Murray told BBC Sport earlier this month Ngannou's debut in the MMA promotion would likely be "in the second half of the year".

American Bader, 40, and Brazil's Ferreira, 34, are fighting in Saudi Arabia on Saturday in a PFL v Bellator Champions event.

Murray said: "Francis is a true combat sports icon with a global fanbase and appeal. We, along with the rest of the MMA world, will be watching to see who his first opponent will be, Ferreira or Bader."

The show in Riyadh, which Cameroon's Ngannou will be attending, is the first featuring both brands since the PFL acquired Bellator in November in a "transformative deal".

The event continues Saudi Arabia's investment in sport such as boxing and football, although the nation has long been criticised for using sport to deflect conversation away from its poor human rights record.

Former UFC heavyweight champion Ngannou has not fought in MMA since defending his title against Ciryl Gane in January 2022.

A knee injury then kept him out for a year and he was stripped of the title upon his departure from the UFC, before later signing a contract with the PFL.

PFL v Bellator: Renan Ferreira stops Ryan Bader but Bellator dominate in Saudi Arabia​

Renan Ferreira stopped a Bellator clean sweep over PFL's best fighters by beating Ryan Bader in the champion v champion event in Saudi Arabia.

Bellator were 5-0 ahead on a largely one-sided main card before heavyweight Ferreira's crushing right hand floored his rival champion inside 21 seconds.

Ferreira's win means he is likely to fight Francis Ngannou after his boxing match with Anthony Joshua next month.

"I am the real problem," said Ferreira, 34, before calling out Ngannou.

"I am the record breaker, the record setter. Francis, where you at? I'm waiting for you."

The Professional Fighters League (PFL) were in danger of being steamrolled before the 6ft 8in Ferreira stepped in the cage to deliver Bader, 40, his first defeat at heavyweight.

American lightweight AJ McKee's expert first-round submission of Clay Collard kicked off the Bellator dominance with middleweight champion Johnny Eblen and welterweight champion Jason Jackson also victorious.

The fight night was the first major MMA event in Saudi Arabia as the region continues to plough money into sport, although the country has long been criticised for using sport to deflect conversation away from its poor human rights record.

Just trash talk so far but no fight.
====
Former UFC champion-turned-pundit Daniel Cormier has entered a verbal spat with fan-favourite fighter Nate Diaz.

The feud was sparked when Cormier, in a YouTube video on February 28, brushed aside the idea of Diaz returning to headline UFC 306 at the Vegas Sphere.

"While the name value is exciting, Nate Diaz the fighter isn't that guy anymore," Cormier remarked. "And he might get mad at me and he might say something to me when I see him --- I don't know, I don't really care."

Cormier's prediction was correct as Diaz posted a scathing Tweet the day after, alleging that Cormier "is not a fighter."

Cormier responded with a video dedicated to the matter on March 1. The former double-champion went in on Diaz, explaining that they "are not in the same stratosphere in terms of fighters."

"The reality is, one thing we will not do is compare myself to Nate Diaz," Cormier explained. "Because it's different levels --- Much different, I'm a champion. Two weight classes. I lost three times in my career. .... We are not in the same stratosphere in terms of fighters. We're not, and it's time for me to stop allowing people to attack or come at me in these ways when I'm doing my job.

Source: Sports Illustrated

Britain's Muhammad Mokaev beat Alex Perez by unanimous decision in Las Vegas to move closer to a UFC flyweight title opportunity.

Mokaev, 23, out-struck American Perez, 31, and landed more takedowns over three rounds at the UFC Apex.

Following the bout, Mokaev called for a title fight against Brazilian champion Alexandre Pantoja.

"I'm 6-0 in the UFC, four finishes. [UFC] 301, 10 weeks, I'm ready to fight for the belt," said Mokaev.

Mokaev knew heading into the fight that a convincing victory would elevate him into title contention, and while he did not get the finish he had predicted, the triumph over former title challenger Perez represents the most notable win yet of his unbeaten 13-fight career.

BBC

Just trash talk so far but no fight.
====
Former UFC champion-turned-pundit Daniel Cormier has entered a verbal spat with fan-favourite fighter Nate Diaz.

The feud was sparked when Cormier, in a YouTube video on February 28, brushed aside the idea of Diaz returning to headline UFC 306 at the Vegas Sphere.

"While the name value is exciting, Nate Diaz the fighter isn't that guy anymore," Cormier remarked. "And he might get mad at me and he might say something to me when I see him --- I don't know, I don't really care."

Cormier's prediction was correct as Diaz posted a scathing Tweet the day after, alleging that Cormier "is not a fighter."

Cormier responded with a video dedicated to the matter on March 1. The former double-champion went in on Diaz, explaining that they "are not in the same stratosphere in terms of fighters."

"The reality is, one thing we will not do is compare myself to Nate Diaz," Cormier explained. "Because it's different levels --- Much different, I'm a champion. Two weight classes. I lost three times in my career. .... We are not in the same stratosphere in terms of fighters. We're not, and it's time for me to stop allowing people to attack or come at me in these ways when I'm doing my job.

Source: Sports Illustrated
DC is absolutely right. As much as Nate Diaz tries to be gangster, he’s a pretty sensitive guy.

His past it retired butt wants to headline UFC 300? Is he good in the head lol?

He wants to punk out DC who is an ATG of the sport, a former double champ at that. He would rag doll Nate all over the place if they were to run it.

But for what it’s worth, everyone would love a DC Vs Nate grudge match.

UFC-only fans usually dog on pro wrestling, but won’t admit that the drama and story that is a cornerstone in pro wrestling when added to MMA takes it to the next level

UFC 299: Michael 'Venom' Page beats Kevin Holland in entertaining debut​

Britain's Michael 'Venom' Page outpointed Kevin Holland in an entertaining welterweight debut at UFC 299 in Miami, Florida.

Londoner Page, 36, combined his signature kickboxing, distance control and showboating to beat American Holland, 31, by unanimous decision.

Former Bellator star Page was competing in the UFC for the first time in his 23-fight career.

"This is where I'm supposed to be," said Page.

"I've got a little more - well, a lot of work to do - but anyone who doubted I'm supposed to be here can see that for themselves."

Page, nicknamed MVP, was a slight underdog heading into the bout at the Kaseya Centre, but Holland had few answers to his elusive footwork and slick in-and-out striking style.

Page signed with the UFC in December after his contract with Bellator came to an end, where he earned 16 wins in 18 fights.

He opted to join the UFC while declining offers from multiple promotions, adding pre-fight he wanted to grow his legacy in the organisation before targeting an all-British bout with welterweight champion Leon Edwards.

Page displayed the showmanship he is known for during his walkout, paying tribute to former WWE star The Undertaker and appearing in a hooded black robe, before dancing the rest of the way towards the octagon.

With his hands-down, bouncing stance, Page delivered an array of strikes on Holland in the first round, including a big straight right hand, a body kick and a spinning back elbow.

Between rounds Holland could be heard telling his corner "he's faster than we thought" as he continued to struggle to land on Page, with his best moment coming from a takedown midway through the contest.

With Page continuing to find a home for his attacks while moving in and out of danger, his confidence grew and he started to showboat, much to the annoyance of Holland who mimicked Page's demeanour late in the fight out of frustration.

But the fighters would embrace, shaking hands and sharing words as the final bell rang, before Page was declared the winner.

Brett Johns: Welshman to compete in 2024 PFL season​

Britain's Brett Johns will compete in the 2024 PFL (Professional Fighters League) regular season.

Johns, 32, has been named for the featherweight mixed martial arts (MMA) tournament, with the winner of each division set to earn $1m (£790,000).

His first bout will be against Russian Timur Khizriev in Chicago, Illinois, on 19 April.

"This is a big step up in competition - I'm not naive," the Welshman told BBC Sport.

"It's a chance for me to set me and my family up."

Johns is on a three-fight winning streak having beaten David Tonatiuh Crol in December.

He says he has missed the "activity of fighting regularly", something the PFL tournament will allow him to do.

"I feel like as a fighter, the last few years, or since signing to the UFC, I've been a very inactive fighter," Johns added.

"Going back to 2012, I think I've had about eight fights and then last year one, so I'm happy to be back active again."

Johns, from Swansea, could potentially fight four times between April and December.

Fellow Briton Dakota Ditcheva has already been named as competing in the women's flyweight tournament.

"With the way that the tournament is formatted, I think featherweight will be a good decision," Johns said.

"In mixed martial arts there are some big weights that you cut to make contracted weight.

"Cutting that weight will be a big factor and I feel like being a smaller guy this time round might favour me in the long run."

Illinois will become the eighth US state Johns has fought in during his storied MMA career and he is relishing the prospect.

"I love the US, I love going there, there's one hell of a buzz when you go out there to fight," he said.

"I'll be up against the best featherweights in the world outside the UFC so it's going to be a difficult task."

Conor McGregor has received the green light to return to MMA

The former dual-weight champion hasn’t fought since breaking his leg during a trilogy bout against Dustin Poirier at UFC 264 in July 2021.

‘Notorious’ has been ready to return for some time and his comeback bout against Michael Chandler has been in the diary since February 2023.

Unfortunately, issues behind the scenes with UFC CEO Dana White have meant McGregor has not been given a date for his return fight, until now.

“We got confirmation a few days ago that it’s all systems go,” McGregor told ESPN. “And ‘The Mac’, ‘The Notorious’ will be returning to the UFC Octagon this summer.”

The Irishman went on to confirm Chandler as his comeback opponent before sending a message to the man who recently called him out on WWE's Monday Night Raw.

He added: “Shut up, Michael, you f***ing imbecile.

“The man doesn’t shut up. I saw him on Raw. I like Mike. I'm going to bust him up. I'm going to bust Mike up, yeah?

“If I say it, I do it. If I say it, it gets done. End of.

“I got great news. It's all systems go. Thumbs up. Thumbs up.”

McGregor’s happy update comes just days after he vented his frustration at the UFC during an exclusive interview on talkSPORT’s new MMA YouTube channel.

“I hope we’ll get some clarity with a date, and I can push towards it,” he said.

“I’m sure we will get something in before year-end. I would love that [International Fight Week]. If they give me that and then we can go ahead straight away.

“June 29th and then the Sphere. What happens then? I wonder if they know. There’s been no talk about anything.”

"Obviously, I’ve got the [Nate] Diaz trilogy, and that’s what I had said for the Sphere.

“You know, there was cold water put on that public off the bat and I wasn’t happy with that. I need discussion or conversation because If I’m not getting anything back, I’ll just drift off.

“So, I hope I can get something in and get dialled in.”

Conor McGregor claims UFC comeback against Michael Chandler is ‘all systems go’ for summer

Conor McGregor has claimed that his UFC comeback against Michael Chandler is “all systems go” for this summer, just days after hitting out at the promotion.

McGregor has not fought since July 2021, when he suffered a broken leg against Dustin Poirier, and his planned return against Chandler has faced numerous delays since its announcement in February 2023.

McGregor, 35, is currently promoting the remake of Road House, which stars the Irishman and will be released on Amazon Prime on Thursday (21 March). During a string of media appearances relating to the film, the former dual-weight champion has criticised the UFC over a “lack of transparency” around his return – but McGregor has now shared “great news”.

Conor McGregor: Irishman tested twice more than any other UFC fighter this year​

Conor McGregor is the most drug-tested fighter under the UFC's new anti-doping regime as the Irishman continues to tease his return to fighting.

McGregor has been drug tested five times, external since January 1. No other fighter has been tested more than twice.

The former UFC champion has spoken at length this week about his desire to return this summer having not fought since 2021.

But the UFC are yet to officially announce his return.

McGregor has been promoting his acting debut in the film Road House this week and has used the tour as an opportunity to appeal to the UFC to officially confirm a fight date.

The 35-year-old is expected to face American Michael Chandler on his return.

McGregor caused a stir when it emerged he had removed himself from the United States Anti-Doping Agency's (Usada) testing pool following his defeat by Dustin Poirier in 2021.

The Dubliner suffered a broken leg in that fight but he returned to the anti-doping program last year.

The UFC has since ended their anti-doping partnership with Usada and have now teamed up with Drug Free Sport International.

Combat Sports Anti-Doping (CSAD) oversees the anti-doping program and on Thursday heavyweight Walt Harris, of the USA, became the first UFC athlete to be given a ban in the new era.

Harris has been given a 48-month suspension for two separate anti-doping violations, occurring in July and August last year.

Bellator Belfast: Karl Moore's journey from sleeping on a mattress at his gym to fighting for a world title​

Three years ago, the future looked bleak for Karl Moore.

After a run of injuries resulting in cancelled fights, the Irishman was released by Bellator as the promotion cut costs during the Coronavirus pandemic.

At the time, Moore was sleeping on a mattress on the floor of his gym in Dublin, while working five nights a week as a security guard.

"If I think too much about it I'll probably start crying, mate," the 32-year-old tells BBC Sport.

"I was making about 200 euros [£170] a week. I was earning just enough to get diesel to fill my car and buy myself food. I had no options, I didn't know where I was going."

Moore says his strongest attribute is his mental strength, and this is what kept him positive during difficult moments. He never slacked and stayed committed to his training, waiting patiently for his next fight opportunity.

Eventually it would come in September 2022 in the form of Bellator's then fifth-ranked light-heavyweight Karl Albrektsson, with Moore triumphing in a contest he says he was "never supposed to win".

"I was just determined to get a fight. I knew getting a couple of good wins can fix everything. In our sport if you keep winning you're going to get recognised, no matter what's going on," said Moore.

The victory would kickstart his career, with two more wins to follow.

On Friday he will face American Corey Anderson for the vacant light-heavyweight title at the Bellator Champions Series at the SSE Arena in his hometown Belfast.

"No matter what happens in this fight, I'm going to be financially secure for a long, long time," said Moore.

"If you'd have told me this two years ago I'd be like 'No, you're full of it, it's impossible'. But it's happened, it's crazy when I think about it, it's a mad story.

"It feels like the stars have aligned for me. I'm not really superstitious but this feels like it's meant to be my night. Taking in everything that's happened, it almost feels too good to be true."

Moore started his professional career in 2011 and has won 12 of 14 fights, including his past four.

If he beats 34-year-old Anderson, he will become the first Irish champion in Bellator history and his nation's first title holder in a global MMA promotion since Conor McGregor captured the UFC lightweight belt in 2016.

Moore says he gets nervous speaking to the media, adding "it's something he'll have to get used to" should he win the title, amid the extra attention champions receive.

"I get more nervous doing this than fighting. You can put me in a cage in front of 20,000 people but if you put me on camera, in front of a microphone, I start to sweat," said Moore.

"It's weird, I just don't like it. But it's something I'll have to get used to because the position I'm in now in my career it's going to be more and more common, so I need to get used to it and keep doing it."

Despite his nerves, Moore appears confident, and is kind and down to earth throughout the interview, citing his father as the biggest influence on his career and personality.

"From a kid, my dad's always gone to the gym. He's always been in shape and watching him train and how he lived is the type of man I wanted to be," said Moore.

"Anyone who knows my dad says he's one of the nicest and best guys you'll ever meet. I just followed in his footsteps, and tried to be like my dad. If I can he half as good as him I'm doing something right.

"And it's not even just fighting but my mannerisms, the way I treat people. Even in the smallest decisions I make I think 'what would my dad do? How would he react'?"

Anderson is a former Bellator light-heavyweight title challenger, suffering a defeat by Vadim Nemkov in 2022.

Before signing with Bellator he was in the UFC, and has won 17 of his 24 professional fights.

Moore's bout with Anderson was set up when former champion Nemkov vacated the title to move up to heavyweight.

Moore glows when he visualises winning the belt in front of his home crowd.

"It'll be amazing. The first Irish guy to be a Bellator world champion. These are things I can show my kids, my grandkids what I was like one day," said Moore.

"When I'm fat and out of shape, that was me one day."

Bellator Belfast: Corey Anderson beats Karl Moore to become new light-heavyweight champion

Karl Moore's bid to become Ireland's first Bellator champion ended in heartbreak at the hands of American Corey Anderson in Belfast on Friday.

Anderson, 34, cruised to an unanimous points victory to claim Bellator's light-heavyweight title.

Moore's chances hinged on a stoppage victory but the local fighter was largely dominated over five rounds.

All three judges scored it for Anderson, who ended a near 11-year wait to win a world title in MMA.

UFC Fight Night: Igor Severino disqualified for biting Andre Lima

Brazilian Igor Severino was disqualified from UFC Fight Night in Las Vegas after biting Andre Lima on the arm during their flyweight bout.

Severino, 20, bit Lima on his bicep as they stood in a clinch against the cage in the second round.

Referee Chris Tognoni stopped the fight and the incident was reviewed before the win was awarded to Brazil's Lima.

Severino has reportedly been released from the UFC by president Dana White.

"Those were two up-and-coming undefeated fighters," White told journalist Kevin Iole., external

"If you get frustrated and want out of the fight, there are plenty of ways to do it, but the worst thing you can do is bite your opponent.

"Now you get cut and lose the biggest opportunity of your life. Not to mention, he's going to have real problems with the NSAC (Nevada State Athletic Commission)."

Lima, 25, later posted pictures of himself getting the bite mark tattooed, after which White said he would double his fight bonus to $50,000 (£40,000).

Speaking in the octagon after the fight, Lima said: "I was able to hit him really hard, but then he bit me when I was trying to take him down. That's why I yelled."

In the main event, American former strawweight champion Rose Namajunas beat Brazilian Amanda Ribas by unanimous decision in their flyweight encounter.

On the undercard British heavyweight Mick Parkin defeated Nigeria's Mohammed Usman - the brother of former welterweight champion Kamaru Usman - by unanimous decision.

BBC

Brazilian Andre Lima got a tattoo of the teeth marks left by opponent Igor Severino after he bit him during their UFC fight in Las Vegas on Saturday.

Severino bit Lima on the biceps as they stood in a clinch against the cage in the second round of their flyweight bout.

Referee Chris Tognoni stopped the fight and the incident was reviewed before Brazilian Severino was disqualified and the win awarded to Lima.

hVTxUV0.png

BBC

MMA: Fabian Edwards faces Aaron Jeffery in number one contender fight​

Fabian Edwards will make his return to action against Aaron Jeffery at Bellator 302 on 22 March in Belfast.

The Englishman, 30, lost to middleweight champion Johnny Eblen in his most recent fight in September.

But Edwards can fire himself right back into title contention by beating Canada's Jeffery to become the number one contender to Eblen's belt.

Edwards has 12 wins and three losses in his career compared to Jeffery's 14 victories and four defeats.

Bellator 302 will be headlined by Karl Moore's light-heavyweight title bout against Corey Anderson.

Belfast fighter Leah McCourt is also in action against Sinead Kavanagh in a rematch of their 2022 encounter, which the Dublin fighter won.

It is the first Bellator event since the MMA promotion was acquired by the Professional Fighters League (PFL).

The PFL intend to hold as many as eight Bellator-branded fight nights in 2024, but some of their biggest stars are expected to cross over to compete in the PFL's regular season in America or in the PFL Europe series.

Bellator's middleweight champion Eblen is scheduled to fight his PFL counterpart Impa Kasanganay on 24 February in Saudi Arabia in the first event where PFL pit their champions against Bellator's.

Fabian Edwards fired himself back into title contention by beating Aaron Jeffery at Bellator Belfast on Friday.

All three judges scored the fight 29-28 for Edwards, who stuck to his gameplan and landed some eye-catching elbows.

The Englishman was fighting for the first time since being stopped by middleweight champion Johnny Eblen last September.

BBC

It will be one hell of a fight. Bring it on UFC. Make it happen.

-------------------------------

Daniel Cormier: Islam Makhachev should become villain, fight Dustin Poirier next

Add Daniel Cormier to the list of fighters who think Dustin Poirier should get the next shot at Islam Makhachev.

Poirier is just the kind of name that Makhachev needs to cement himself as a bonafide octagon star, the former two-division UFC champ said Wednesday on his video podcast.

“For Islam to get to where he truly needs to be as a champ, he’s got to have those familiar names on his resume, or at least have competition with them,” Cormier said.

Cormier, of course, is not entirely unbiased in his pick for the next lightweight title fight. Lightweight champ Makhachev is a former training partner at his longtime gym, American Kickboxing Academy, and Poirier is from his hometown of Lafayette, La.

Prior to his big UFC 299 win over Benoit Saint Denis, Poirier said one big win could qualify him for a title shot. Afterward, he called out Makhachev, who brushed him off as his next challenge contender in a way that many champs do to their next contenders.

Cormier thinks Makhachev may be more interested than he let on.

“When Conor McGregor was Conor McGregor, he knocked out Jose Aldo to be the champion. It was an amazing tool to spring him into superstardom. Because by that point, it didn’t matter who he fought at lightweight. He was already a star because he had just beaten the greatest featherweight of all time in the manner in which he did it.

Then when he left, the [featherweight] belt needed to be contested. Who did they put out there? Frankie Edgar, former champion, Jose Aldo, former champion, because the names are recognized. [Max] Holloway beat Jose Aldo. It meant much more for Max Holloway, in terms of becoming a star, to beat Jose Aldo than some random guy for the belt.”

Picking Poirier over other potential lightweight contenders could complicate things for others, such as Justin Gaethje, who knocked out Poirier in his previous fight and is now set to face Max Holloway at UFC 300. Another, former champ Charles Oliveira, is also booked for the April 13 mega-event against Arman Tsarukyan.

But according to Cormier, Poirier is “1000 percent a win-win situation for the UFC.”

“Because if Dustin Poirier wins, Dustin Poirier’s right back at the forefront of fighting by beating one of the more dominant champions. And if he loses, now you’re got a champion who just put two title defenses over Alexander Volkanovski in front of a win over Dustin Poirier, with Charles Oliveira or Arman Tsarukyan waiting in the wings, or Justin Gaethe if he can get past Holloway.

“Think of the run Makhachev could have if he’s able to put all these fights behind each other.”

Cormier said Makhachev’s diss of Cormier works perfectly as the spark for a pre-fight promotion cycle.

“I would steer into that if I’m the champion,” he said. “I would try to become the evil empire. I would try to become the villain. ‘The Rock’ right now is doing it in the WWE. That’s essentially what every one of these champions is when they work their way to the top. You’re the guy they have to get through in order to reach a goal they’ve dreamed of their entire lives.

“Islam needs to tell Dustin, ‘You’re never going to do it. You don’t belong on my level. You got here because there was no one else.’ That would make the people where he would fight hate him. That would make people run to support Dustin Poirier. But that would also make people care more. ... And ultimately, that’s what’s important – nothing else.”

SOURCE: https://www.mmafighting.com/2024/3/...ould-become-villain-fight-dustin-poirier-next

UFC: Khamzat Chimaev v Robert Whittaker to headline in Saudi Arabia on 22 June

Chechen-born Khamzat Chimaev faces Robert Whittaker in a middleweight title eliminator bout in Saudi Arabia on 22 June.

The middleweights will headline the UFC's first fight night in the Kingdom.

Chimaev, 29, is undefeated in 13 fights, but faces his toughest challenge yet against Australian former champion Whittaker.

The winner will face reigning champion and South Africa's Dricus du Plessis later this year.

Also on the undercard is an all-Russian heavyweight contest between Alexander Volkov and Sergei Pavlovich.

The UFC were due to hold their fight event in Saudi Arabia in March.

It will be the second major MMA event in the region in 2024 after the Professional Fighters League (PFL) held their first fight night there in February.

The investment in MMA events sees Saudi Arabia continue to plough money into sport, although the country has long been criticised for using sport to deflect conversation away from its poor human rights record.

BBC

UFC: Caolan Loughran wins but Rhys McKee loses in Atlantic City​

Tyrone's Caolan Loughran secured his first UFC win with a unanimous points victory over American Angel Pacheco.

A dominant Loughran made good use of his right hand throughout the three rounds of the bantamweight bout in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

He improved his overall MMA record to nine wins and one loss, which came on his UFC debut in September.

After the fight, Loughran called out 19-year-old American Raul Rosas Jr, the youngest fighter to compete in the UFC.

The UFC is in the process of finalising its next trip to the UK, with Manchester a possible host, but Loughran said he would be prepared to fight Rosas Jr in Las Vegas on 16 September.

"We can do it on the pay-per-view in Manchester or we can do it on [McGregor] versus Chandler, or we can go to the Sphere on Mexican Independence Day and have 15m Mexicans booing me on the way out," he said.

On the main card, Ballymena welterweight Rhys McKee suffered a split-decision defeat by American Chidi Njokuani.

It was McKee's second straight loss since returning to the UFC last year, and his fourth overall in the promotion.

Ronda Rousey: Ex-UFC bantamweight champion 'hid concussions and neurological injuries'​

Ronda Rousey says she hid "concussions and neurological injuries" for years during her trailblazing run as UFC bantamweight champion.

American Rousey, 37, became the first woman to join the UFC in 2012, defending her title six times before defeat by Holly Holm in 2015.

Rousey says the loss caused her to "self-assess" her career for the sake of her long-term health.

"It's hard to look at footage of that match," Rousey told BBC Sport.

"Because I can literally see in my eyes I'm suffering from a neurological injury decades in the making.

"It [ticks] me off when people see that and say, 'this is Ronda being outclassed'. That's me with my brain not properly working."

Rousey, speaking following the release of her new book Our Fight, revealed how a decade's worth of concussions suffered during her judo career, where she won Olympic bronze for the USA in 2008, affected her UFC run.

Rousey stops and takes a deep breath as she describes her wellbeing going into the Holm fight, which she lost via a head kick knockout in the second round.

"I was concussed going into that fight - I fell down the stairs and knocked myself out two weeks before," she recalled.

"But I had been hiding concussions and neurological injuries for so long that it just became part of it. And that was the point I was forced to really self-assess and be like, 'your brain has taken too much damage for too many years'."

Rousey would fight once more in a stoppage defeat by Amanda Nunes 13 months after the loss to Holm, before retiring and later joining the WWE.

Rousey had previously dominated her opponents until the defeat by Holm.

During her 14-fight career, she earned nine armbar stoppages, with 11 of her wins coming in the first round as she deliberately pressured opponents to limit damage received.

"When I came into MMA I couldn't take any hits so I had to develop a style of fighting that I believe is the most efficient that's ever been made with the express objective of avoiding damage," she said.

"It forced me to be really quick and efficient and try to finish off people very quickly. It wasn't an accident or luck, it was something I was doing very much on purpose."

Rousey paused with a solemn expression before adding: "Now removed from it, I can be proud of myself and be like no-one could even get close to me until it got to the point where even being touched put me out.

"Even though it feels like everyone will always define me by my failures, I know I created the most efficient fighting style that ever existed and I'm proud of that."

UFC champion Jon Jones summoned over alleged threats to kill​

UFC heavyweight champion Jon Jones has been summoned to court following allegations he verbally threatened to kill a female anti-doping officer in Albuquerque.

The incident is alleged to have taken place at Jones' home on 30 March and was reported to the police on Friday.

In a police department report seen by the BBC, the complainant said Jones was intoxicated, threatened to kill her and took her phone after he was asked to give a urine sample in the presence of two anti-doping officers.

In response, Jones posted a video on Instagram which he says shows both drugs test officers "leaving my home after the testing session, where we exchanged a high five and a hug".

The athlete, who accused one of the testers of breaching standard protocols and health insurance laws, added: "Although I was frustrated with the unprofessionalism and used profanity out of frustration it ended friendly and amicably, nothing threatening at all."

Jones, 36, has not fought since March 2023, when he beat France's Ciryl Gane via submission.

Nicknamed Bones, he has won world titles in both the light-heavyweight and heavyweight divisions, and is regarded as one of the sport's greatest fighters of all time.

He is unbeaten since his only loss against Matt Hamill in 2009.

In 2018, Jones was handed a 15-month backdated ban for violating the UFC's anti-doping policy. The American was stripped of his light-heavyweight title, having tested positive for a banned substance before his bout at UFC 214 in 2017.

But the United States Anti-Doping Agency (Usada) found Jones "was not intentionally cheating".

In 2023, Jones said he felt he had been cleared of being a "steroid cheat" after changes to the threshold levels for certain prohibited drugs in 2019.

When Jim Miller walks out at a sold out T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas to face Bobby Green at UFC 300 on Saturday, he will set a unique record.

The American lightweight is the only athlete who also fought at the UFC's landmark 100 and 200 events.

The 40-year-old was victorious at both, beating Mac Danzig in 2009 and Takanori Gomi in 2016.

How did people find UFC 300, a huge landmark for MMA and especially the UFC, from putting on shows in dingy basements to going mainstream.

I haven’t watched it but running the names who have been booked, there seems to be a lack of star power and I don’t think it was stacked?

Why couldn’t they book the following or at least prepared to do it:

- Leon Edwards

- Islam Makachev

- Khazmat Chimaev

- Dustin Poirier

And one of the following at least, seeing they are still under contract

- Jon Jones

- Conor Mcgregor

Women

- Miesha Tate (Maybe booked her with Holly Holms for old times sake?)

- Amanda Nunes (She retired but maybe Dana reached deeper in his pocket to lure her out?)

Other names that would have been harder to get

- Ronda: She isn’t really doing anything these days, why not have the conversation?

- Lesnar: There has been some bad PR around him, maybe Dana could say hey screw that, this would be perfect for you to replace that negativity

It’s just a number at the end of the day, but there doesn’t seem to have been an effort to attract new fans or the casuals, at least bring in the charismatic individuals at your disposal. Even UFC 200 was a little better in that regard.

UFC 300: Alex Pereira knocks out Jamahal Hill to retain light-heavyweight title​

Brazil's Pereira, 36, dropped American Hill, 32, with a left hook before finishing the fight with repeated ground strikes.

Pereira has now won seven of his eight UFC bouts in a remarkable two and a half years.

"When I step into the octagon I don't see myself as champion," said Pereira.

"I do the same thing in my personal life. I don't let this belt go to my head ever."

Max Holloway delivered the moment of the night at the T-Mobile Arena as he stopped fellow American Justin Gaethje in the final seconds of the pair's lightweight bout for the symbolic BMF title.

Holloway, 32, pointed to the ground with 10 seconds to go, inviting Gaethje to stand and trade punches, before knocking him out with one second remaining as the pair swung wildly.

In the co-main event, Zhang Weili retained her strawweight title by unanimous decision against compatriot Yan Xiaonan in the UFC's first all-Chinese championship bout.

Following the event, the UFC announced Ireland's Conor McGregor would fight for the first time since July 2021 when he takes on American Michael Chandler at UFC 303 in Las Vegas on 29 June.

The landmark 300 event boasted a strong card top to bottom, with 12 current or former champions in action, including two in the first fight of the night in former flyweight champion Deiveson Figueiredo, who beat former title holder Cody Garbrandt by submission in the second round.

The UFC's efforts in producing a star-studded show are synonymous with past centenary events, with WWE star Brock Lesnar fighting at both, while McGregor and Jon Jones were in contention to appear at UFC 200 before their bouts were cancelled.

The headlining bout between Pereira and Hill was finalised following weeks of negotiations between the UFC and various fighters which did not come to fruition, including Leon Edwards, Israel Adesanya and Dricus du Plessis.

But former middleweight champion Pereira was granted the prestigious headlining slot against Hill and he once again made the most of his opportunity in the spotlight.

Pereira beat Jiri Prochazka in November to become only the ninth fighter to win titles in two weight classes in the UFC, and he achieved that feat in record-breaking time - seven fights.

Hill, meanwhile, was fighting for the first time in 14 months after recovering from a ruptured Achilles sustained in July which forced him to vacate the title.

After the pair traded leg kicks in the opening stages, Pereira started to come forward, applying pressure to Hill.

With Hill retreating, Pereira then dropped the challenger with a left hook before delivering repeated blows on the canvas, forcing the referee to halt the contest.

Following his victory, Pereira hinted at a move up to heavyweight and an attempt to become the UFC's first three-division champion.

"I want to keep continuing defending this belt, and I know there needs to be a lot promotion around this fight, but I want a fight at heavyweight," he said.

UFC president Dana White announced in Thursday's press conference that fighters would be awarded $300,000 (£239,000) performance and fight-of-the-night bonuses at the event, up from the standard $50,000 prize.

And Holloway, stepping up to lightweight from featherweight to contest for Gaethje's BMF title, delivered a moment befitting of the prize.

After largely outclassing the 35-year-old over five rounds and heading for a decision win, Holloway risked defeat by inviting Gaethje to stand and trade punches with 10 seconds remaining.

But, with the final bell looming, Holloway cemented victory, connecting with a left hook which sent Gaethje crumbling to the canvas and wowing the sell-out crowd.

Former heavyweight champion Mark Coleman, who was treated in hospital last month after saving his parents from a house fire, then wrapped the commemorative belt around Holloway, awarded to the UFC's 'baddest' fighter.

"Give it up to Gaethje - he's the real BMF. He had so much to lose and nothing to gain from this fight," said Holloway.

Double Olympic judo gold medallist Kayla Harrison was victorious on her UFC debut as she dominated fellow American Holly Holm, forcing the former bantamweight champion to submit in the first round to a rear-naked choke.

Former two-weight champion Amanda Nunes, who retired last year, then teased a potential return and match-up with Harrison by responding to footage of Harrison's post-fight interview on social media.

MMA: Brendan Loughnane takes stoppage win in 86 seconds at PFL 3 on return after 10 months out​

Manchester's Brendan Loughnane returned to winning ways with victory over Pedro Carvalho at PFL 3 on Friday in Chicago.

Loughnane, 34, had not fought since his shock defeat by Jesus Pinedo in June.

A crunching right hand was the start of Carvalho's downfall, before the referee stepped in to halt the contest after just 86 seconds.

The win marks Loughnane's 29th victory of his career and gives him six points in his first fight of the Professional Fighters League's (PFL) 2024 season.

Loughnane is a former PFL featherweight champion, winning the 2022 tournament and making history as the PFL's first English champion.

But his dream of defending the title was taken away in 2023 as Peru's Pinedo handed him his first knockout loss in 32 fights.

Loughnane took 10 months out to recover, only rediscovering his confidence in a sparring session with former UFC champion Conor McGregor.

And on Friday night, Loughnane showed no signs of uncertainty in the cage, engaging with Carvalho in the opening 10 seconds and landing a sharp right after catching a kick from his opponent.

MMA: Sam Creasey defeats Aaron Aby to become Oktagon's first English flyweight champion in Birmingham​

Sam Creasey is the new Oktagon flyweight champion after outclassing Welshman Aaron Aby at Oktagon 56 on Saturday in Birmingham.

Creasey, 36, is the first Englishman to win an Oktagon belt.

The former Cage Warriors champion won every round, repeatedly tagging Aby with left hands and painful leg kicks.

"The feeling is unmatched," Creasey said of the win. "Pure elation to confirm myself as a world-class athlete."

Creasey improved his record to 19 wins, with five defeats, while Aby slipped to his ninth career loss.

Aby was the man with the most vocal support inside the Resorts World Arena and was aiming to win the title having overcome cystic fibrosis as a child and cancer later in life.

Creasey was full of praise for his opponent, who he also beat in 2021 on points, paying tribute to his resilience inside and outside the cage.

Aby promised himself he would win a MMA title after his health issues.

"I couldn't have lost to a better person," Aby said.

"I haven't won again tonight. I'm not coming away as a world champion. It hurts. It hurts a lot but maybe I am a winner because of all those people up there [in the stands].

"For all those people that support me, that makes me a winner as well."

Ireland's Hughes to make Bellator debut in Dublin on 22 June​

Irish fighter Paul Hughes will face Bobby King in a lightweight bout on his Bellator debut in Dublin on 22 June.

The 26-year-old announced this month he had signed with the Professional Fighters League (PFL) after leaving Cage Warriors.

Hughes, with 11 wins and one loss on his record, will fight at PFL's Bellator Champions Series event at the 3Arena against 40-year-old American King, who is on a two-fight losing streak.

The Derry fighter was heavily linked with a move to the UFC, but signed for the PFL and will compete in the their $1m (£800,000) lightweight tournament in 2025.

After becoming a featherweight champion in Cage Warriors, Hughes will fight for the third time in a row in Dublin.

Hughes is on a five-fight winning streak since his only career loss to Jordan Vucenic in 2020, a defeat he avenged in 2022.

Bellator Dublin is headlined by a welterweight title fight between champion Jason Jackson and Russian challenger Ramazan Kuramagomedov.

Dubliner Sinead Kavanagh is also in action, in a rematch against Australian Arlene Blencowe.

'Like a job interview in front of 10,000 - I hate fighting'​

"Imagine something that really matters, like having a job interview, but in front of 10,000 people. It's horrible."

When Britain's Stuart Austin faces Germany's Hatef Moeil for the heavyweight title at Oktagon 57 in Frankfurt on Saturday, he will do so with mixed emotions.

On one hand, Austin, 35, is relishing the prospect of competing in front of the largest crowd of his 14-year career at the 13,500-capacity Festhalle Frankfurt arena.

But on the other is the elephant in the room; an elephant Austin says many mixed martial artists are accompanied by, but refuse to acknowledge - he hates fighting.

"I love training, I love martial arts, I’ve done it since I was five years old. But it’s a horrible experience getting into a cage and fighting somebody," he says.

"Most of the people who say they enjoy it, don’t. From walking out, to standing in front of each other while they do the announcements. Getting in a cage and have someone try and knock my head off... it’s awful man, it really is awful.

"I’m not scared of being hurt, it’s just a horrible experience. It’s the stress of the situation. You’re not fighting for your life but that’s how your body reacts to it and, as I get older and wiser, I just don’t enjoy it at any more."

It's rare for fighters to admit their dislike for competing, but Austin points to former UFC star Nick Diaz as an example of one who has., external

"Nick Diaz is the biggest fighter’s fighter there is, he's the coolest guy to have ever done it. But he has plenty of interviews where he says he hates doing it, he doesn’t want to do it," said Austin.

"Sometimes you don’t want to do something but if you’re good at it and can make money… there’s plenty of people out there who don’t want to go to work on a rainy day."

Echoing Diaz, Austin's reasoning for fighting, despite not enjoying it, is because he's good at it.

Austin has won 18 of his 26 professional fights, including an eye-catching victory over UFC interim heavyweight champion Tom Aspinall in 2015.

He is also on a three-fight win streak, triumphing in two fights since signing with European-based promotion Oktagon last year.

"The funny thing is the less I like it, and the less I want to do it competitively, I become detached and it has given me clarity of mind - I’m much more able to make smart decisions and good choices," Austin added.

"No-one is forcing me to fight and go out there but I’ve got to a point where I can make reasonable money. And when you’ve done something a long time and you’re starting to see the rewards, suck it up and go with it a little bit - there’s nothing worse than wasted talent.

"I’m better than I’ve ever been - it’s a bit of a double-edged sword I guess."

The irony is not lost on Austin when he visualises the dilemma he might face in Frankfurt, fighting for a world title in front of of 13,500 fans, with the London fighter joking "oh, I can't wait to get in there".

But there is also some truth to what Austin is saying, despite his dislike for competing.

"My brother is a sport psychologist and obviously, until very recently, I never bothered to utilise his skills. But I’ve worked with him a little bit over the last three fights," said Austin.

"So as I walk out to compete I’m aware of people around me, but I’m very tunnel vision now. I picture me across from my opponent in the gym, and I think that’s helped me in terms of performance anxiety.

"But the the downside is, it’s an oxymoron... fighting in front of 13,000 people, the excitement, it's all kicking off - and I’m going to ignore them, basically. I guess it’s all coping mechanisms."

If Austin defeats Moeil, 37, he will become Oktagon's second British champion after Sam Creasey last month, and the promotion's first British heavyweight title-holder.

Karolina Kowalkiewicz and Iasmin Lucindo will set a record for the largest age gap between two women in a UFC bout when they meet in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on Saturday.

There will be 16 years (5929 days) between Poland's Kowalkiewicz, 38, and Brazil's Lucindo, 22, when the strawweights fight at the Jeunesse Arena at UFC 301.

BBC

Free agent Aldo hints at re-signing with UFC​

Jose Aldo says he could re-sign with the UFC after becoming a free agent on Saturday following his win over Jonathan Martinez in Brazil.

Aldo, 37, came out of retirement to see out the final fight on his contract at UFC 301 and, despite his age, immediately becomes one of the hottest free agents in the world.

Aldo confirmed the UFC have the right to match any offers he is made and said he was open to extending his 13-year stint with the MMA promotion.

There are plans for talks with UFC president Dana White as Brazilian Aldo examines his options.

"First we have to sit with Dana and see what is the best path we can take," Aldo said.

Martinez was seven years Aldo’s junior and on a six-fight winning streak, but he was outpointed by the former UFC featherweight champion over three rounds.

It proved Aldo was still able to compete at a high level, and the veteran also revealed he was offered the chance to fight on the undercard of Jake Paul’s boxing fight against Mike Tyson on 20 July in Texas.

There is also the possibility of switching to another MMA promotion, with the PFL making a point of trying to lure some of the UFC’s big names to their outfit.

Ex-UFC fighter Till to make boxing debut

Former UFC fighter Darren Till will make his boxing debut against former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr on 20 July.

The bout is on the undercard of Mike Tyson v Jake Paul at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

The fight will be over six rounds and at a catchweight of 190lbs.

Till, 31, was released by the UFC in March 2023 after eight years with the promotion.

"I’m very happy with my opponent," Till said.

"He is a great fighter who I respect, but make no mistake about it, I am coming to knock him out in the first round."

Till lost his final three fights with the UFC and has been inactive since a defeat against middleweight champion Dricus du Plessis in December 2022.

The Liverpudlian competed at welterweight and middleweight during his time as a mixed martial artist.

BBC

Doumbe wins on return from glass-in-foot Paris defeat

Cedric Doumbe stopped Jaleel Willis in the first round at the Bellator Champions Series in Paris, bouncing back from the controversial defeat he suffered in the same arena two months ago.

French welterweight Doumbe, 31, dropped American Jaleel Willis with a huge right hand before finishing the fight with a flurry of strikes in front of a raucous crowd at the Accor Arena.

It was in contrast to the scene in March, where Doumbe lost to Baysangur Chamsoudinov with the referee stopping the fight after he complained of glass in his foot.

After his win on Friday, Doumbe was joined in the cage by former UFC champion Anthony Pettis, setting up a potential bout between the pair later in the year.

The pair shook hands before American Pettis said he wanted the fight to take place in Paris.

Back