The UFC/MMA Thread

Charles Oliveira claimed the undisputed UFC lightweight title with a thrilling second-round TKO of three-time Bellator champion Michael Chandler.

Brazilian Oliveira extended his winning streak to nine on a dramatic night in Houston, Texas.

The bout formed the main event of UFC 262 at the Toyota Center, where the capacity crowd of 16,000 fans saw Oliveira, 31, produce a thrilling come-from-behind performance to capture the title vacated this year by the retiring Khabib Nurmagomedov.

Before the bout got under way, there was a moment of respect between the pair as Oliveira approached Chandler's corner and embraced his rival before greeting each of Chandler's cornermen.

When the action got under way, the momentum swung back and forth as both men threatened to claim a stoppage victory in a wild opening round.

Chandler connected with a big left hand, which forced Oliveira to shoot for a takedown, but the American immediately locked up a guillotine choke that Oliveira did well to escape from.

Oliveira then switched positions, took Chandler's back and looked to work his way to a rear-naked choke submission. But Chandler exploded his way out of the position and returned to his feet as the crowd roared its approval.

With the fight back on its feet, Chandler loaded up and let fly with his hands as he came close to scoring a first-round TKO finish.

Two big punches hurt Oliveira, who took to the mat in a bid to escape the American's punching power, but Chandler followed him to the canvas and continued landing heavy ground strikes to close out a back-and-forth opening round.

At the start of round two, the bout turned on its head again when Oliveira stepped into striking range and dropped Chandler with a huge left hand.

Chandler quickly got back to his feet, but was clearly still rocked, and Oliveira followed up with more punches that forced Chandler down to the canvas again, where a flurry of ground strikes forced referee Dan Miragliotta to stop the fight 19 seconds into the round.

An elated Oliveira hurdled the cage fence and, after an excited exchange with the UFC commentary team, charged into the crowd to celebrate with the fans before eventually returning to the cage receive his championship belt.

"I told you I was going to knock him out, and I came and knocked him out," said Oliveira after his victory, which gave him the record for the most finishes in UFC history with 17.

"I'm proving to everybody, I'm the lion of lions.

"Michael, you're a great champion, but today was my day. Michael said I couldn't take pressure, and he hit, hit, hit. And I'm still here. Here's the belt!"

Chandler was classy and magnanimous in defeat as he paid tribute to the newly crowned champion, before promising to return to the octagon and win the title within the next year.

"We saw one of the toughest dudes on the planet come back from some adversity - Charles Oliveira is the real deal," said 35-year-old Chandler.

"I take nothing away from him. I will be back. I promise you I'm going to win that UFC strap within the next 12 months. This was a great opportunity. I thank the UFC for this opportunity.

"Charles Oliveira showed how he's a consummate professional. He's showed up for the last 10, 11 years here inside the UFC octagon.

"We'll get this one back. We're gonna run this one back, eventually."

BBC

Olivera vs Chandler fight was insane to watch. it had so many twists n turns wowww

The fight between Edson Barbosa and Shane Burgos was even better, it had the crowd on their feet at the end of the first two rounds.

On the headliner, I'm glad that Chandler didn't win the title. There's some great fighters in the lightweight division, it didn't sit right with me that Chandler skipped straight through to a title fight after beating one guy because they wanted to fast track a Bellator big name. He says he's be fighting again for the title within a year, but I don't think so. The likes of Dustin Poirier and Justin Gaethje would be pretty formidable obstacles before that. I think UFC wanted to fast track him because he is 35 and time is running out, but there's too many other genuine contenders who deserve that shot first.

Faisal Malik: 'I want to take the UFC to Pakistan' says British-Asian MMA fighter looking to make history

Malik's grandfather was a wrestler in Pakistan
There has never been a UFC champion of British-Asian heritage - but Faisal Malik hopes to change that.

Newly signed to European MMA circuit Cage Warriors and with a 5-0 win record in the sport, the 27-year-old comes from a Pakistani background and dreams of one day headlining a UFC title fight in Lahore.

Once overweight and caught up with the wrong crowd, he is a rising star waiting for his first Cage Warriors fight - but is already confident of adding his name to the list of more than 100 fighters to have progressed from the promotion into the UFC.

"It's clearly the path I want to take," he tells BBC Sport. "It's a step up, but it's a step up that I wanted for quite a while.

"I'm ready to jump into Cage Warriors and show what I'm made of. Since I went pro, I've finished all my fights in one minute. I'm looking to keep that going."

Where did it all begin?
Malik trained in boxing until he was 15, and started to learn Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at 16.

He developed a fearsome reputation and says he was so prolific in tournaments that coaches of other fighters would wait outside for him.

"They'd be like: 'Show us your ID. Who are you? You can't be doing this'," he says.

"Pretty much from 16-19 I didn't concede a point."

It was also a period of his life when he could have got into trouble - until he discovered MMA.

"My older brother and a couple of friends were like 'why are you wasting time on the road when you can channel that energy into a sport?'" he says.

From there, he came across the UFC.

"I was Googling places to learn," he says. "My brother found a place and so did my friends. So I went, tapped out millions of times and I was like 'damn, I need to learn this.'

"When I was about 22, I went pro. My whole life is dedicated to MMA because this is not a joke."

Having a good role model helps too - Malik's grandfather enjoyed notable success in combat sports.

"He was wrestling back in Pakistan, in Kashmir," says Malik. "That's always been a motivation and I still believe that it's genetics.

"He was a champion so I always grew up hearing stories. He did inspire me."

Faisal also grew up watching former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson, but it is the two men painted behind him as he sits in his gym that give inspiration now.

"In MMA it's George St-Pierre and Khabib Nurmagomedov," he says. "That's why I've got them in my gym. My biggest inspiration are these two and how they approach defining themselves as a human being, the way they carry themselves - in the cage and outside."

Being a British-Pakistani Muslim
One of Malik's big goals is to take the UFC to Pakistan.

"That's where my roots are," he says. "So just to go back there... imagine how crazy that would be.

"By promoting MMA in Pakistan it will promote the whole MMA scene and guys will start coming through."

Malik's faith - as well as his heritage - is also very important to him.

"That's the first thing, sport comes after," he says.

"Everything happens for a reason. I'm just grateful that I came off the road, I'm into the gym and I believe that that's a blessing from Allah."

Malik says his family were initially anxious about his fighting, but are supportive of him.

"What they didn't like was when I started to get more and more serious, but my dad always had my back," he says.

"At first they thought I'm just doing this to lose weight because I was overweight until about 19 - about 110 kg," says Malik, who now fights at bantamweight, eats better and lives a healthier lifestyle.

"They support me. They don't like me getting punched in the face, but they always back me."

Opening a gym
Malik is still early in his career but already has plans to open a gym in Luton and offer free sessions for underprivileged young people to get into MMA.

"MMA is fairly new and around where I'm from there's not really a gym," he says.

"I've got seven coaches for different disciplines. I want to bring everything in-house so those kids won't need to travel up and down the country."

Malik says his goal is to show "anything is possible".

"I was overweight and I was from the streets and now I'm a professional fighter, 5-0 and on the verge of firing into the UFC Insha'Allah," he says.

"I want to help the kids suffering with mental health, even adults. I believe physical fitness is the number one medicine.

"My goal from the gym is pretty much to create high-level fighters, I'm talking UFC world champion.

"I want to show that if I can do it, they can do it too, and I want to help as much as I can along the way."

An Animal uncaged

So how would Malik describe himself in one word?

"Animal," he says.

"I reckon in about two to three fights I'll be in the UFC - it could happen. There's so much more to my game than anyone's ever seen because I've been smashing through this lot in one minute.

"I've seen the champion in Cage Warriors, I've seen all these guys. I'll smoke him.

"I've got to stay humble and not waste my time. But it will come soon. I'll be ready."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/mixed-martial-arts/57257712

UFC middleweight champion Israel Adesanya cruised to victory over Marvin Vettori as he retained his undisputed 185-pound title in the main event of UFC 263 in Glendale, Arizona.

The pair had previously met, when Adesanya claimed a split-decision victory over Vettori in April 2018 in the Nigerian-born Kiwi's second UFC bout.

But in Saturday night's rematch Adesanya, 31, showed his class with a virtuoso performance as he picked apart the Italian over the full five-round championship duration at the Gila River Arena.

Vettori started the bout in aggressive fashion and landed an early takedown, but Adesanya soon settled into his work and dominated the striking exchanges, using repeated kicks to Vettori's lead leg to punish the challenger from range.

Adesanya's control of the bout caused plenty of consternation in Vettori's corner between rounds, as coach Rafael Cordeiro implored his man to be more aggressive in his pursuit of the takedown.

But Vettori simply had no answer for the champion, who looked in complete control as he cruised to a shutout decision victory with all three judges scoring the bout 50-45 in Adesanya's favour.

After the result was officially announced, Adesanya dedicated his victory to his teammate Fau Vake, a promising up-and-coming fighter who died in May from injuries sustained in an alleged attack in Auckland, New Zealand.

"I just want to say Fau Vake, Fau Vake, Fau Vake, I love you, man... This fight I dedicate to you, Fau," he said.

Adesanya then said he wanted his next title defence to come against Australia's former champion Robert Whittaker, but on the condition that the fight takes place in Adesanya's hometown of Auckland after Adesanya dethroned Whittaker in Melbourne in their first meeting at UFC 243.

"We need to run that back in my territory this time," he said.

BBC

Very excited to see islam makhachev's career progress.He is gonna get that belt soon.Most skilled fighter in the UFC right now.

Ciryl Gane became the first French fighter to capture a UFC world title when he won the interim heavyweight title at UFC 265 in Texas on Saturday night.

Gane, 31, claimed the vacant interim title by defeating hometown favourite Derrick Lewis in the main event in Houston.

It was only his 10th fight as a professional mixed martial artist.

"I'm happy, I'm proud," said Gane after he won via TKO in the third round.

Gane utilised a smart gameplan as he fought knockout artist Lewis from distance, continually switching stances, using a plethora of leg kicks to keep Lewis on the back foot.

Those kicks started to add up heading into the third round and, after Lewis stumbled backwards following another thumping Gane leg kick, 'Bon Gamin' moved in looking for the finish.

Gane unloaded a flurry of strikes that forced Lewis to cover up against the cage. And, although Lewis gamely tried to fire back with punches, he was eventually sent to the canvas and stopped with ground strikes at the 4:11 mark as Gane completed a comprehensive victory with a TKO finish.

Gane dedicated the win to his coach Fernand Lopez and his team in Paris.

"This is for the whole team. This isn't just for me," he said.

"It's for my coach, for MMA Factory, for my friends, my family, for the fans and my country. I'm very happy."

Gane's title-winning performance improved his perfect MMA record to 10-0, with seven wins coming inside the distance.

It also set up a mouth-watering title unification bout with his former team-mate and training partner, the current undisputed UFC heavyweight champion, Cameroon's Francis Ngannou.

When asked whether he had a message for his former colleague, Gane said simply: "The fight will happen, so let's go. Just let's go."

Two-time Bellator middleweight champion Gegard Mousasi defended his title in style on Friday night.

Fighting in the main event of Bellator 264, Mousasi, 36, nullified the wrestling threat of number-one contender John Salter.

Ground strikes at the 2:07 mark of the third round finished Mousasi's opponent to register the 48th win of his decorated MMA career.

The first round saw Salter score an early takedown in Connecticut.

In the event at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Salter was looking to grind down the champion, but Mousasi defended smartly to stay out of trouble before scoring with some big knees to the body in the closing moments of the round.

Mousasi came back strongly in Round 2, using his boxing to out-strike the challenger on their feet.

Then, after Salter attempted to drag the action to the mat again, the champion defended well and turned the tables before hammering Salter with ground strikes, with only the bell saving the American at the end of the round.

With Mousasi firmly in the ascendancy, Salter desperately shot in for an early takedown at the start of Round 3, but the Dutch champion easily stuffed the attempt and ended up on top.

Mousasi then unleashed a non-stop salvo of ground strikes that forced referee Dan Miragliotta to step in and stop the fight mid-way through the round.

The victory gave Mousasi the 26th KO/TKO of his career, and his 39th stoppage victory overall as he successfully defended his title for the first time since he recaptured the belt in October last year. It was also the Dutchman's 11th win from his last 12 bouts.

"I told you from before, I'm way stronger than people think," Mousasi told Bellator co-commentator John McCarthy after his victory.

"Maybe I look skinny, but I'm a lot stronger. So physically I was the stronger guy there.

"On top I felt like I'd just pressure him, put my weight on him, hurt him with punches, make him feel the pressure.

"It was a five-rounder, so in my mind I'm saying, 'Yeah, OK. Don't do everything now, because you can go five.'"

Mousasi's next title defence was confirmed immediately after his post-fight interview as he took part in a good-natured face-off inside the cage with undefeated American, Austin Vanderford.

"He's a legend in the sport," said 11-0 contender Vanderford.

"I thought he went in there and took care of business, and I'm excited to get out there and test myself."

Koreshkov stakes his claim
In the co-main event of the evening, former welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov returned to the Bellator cage for the first time in almost two years and claimed a dominant decision win to put himself back into the championship picture in the 170-pound division.

Russia's Koreshkov, 30, showcased his striking against Sabah Homasi as he scored throughout the fight with power strikes and drew gasps from the Connecticut crowd with a pair of spectacular flying knees that found their mark.

Homasi exhibited remarkable toughness as he soaked up the former champion's strikes to stay in the fight. But "The Spartan" dominated the action throughout the three five-minute round duration to claim a shutout win on the judges' scorecards.

All three scorers were in agreement, with Koreshkov earning scores of 30-27, 30-26, 30-26 to improve his record to 24-4 and announce his return as a legitimate threat to the welterweight title currently held by undefeated Ukrainian Yaroslav Amosov.

Stots calls for bantamweight Grand Prix
Bantamweight contender Raufeon Stots claimed a huge scalp as he proved his championship credentials with a unanimous decision victory over Russian contender Magomed Magomedov.

Stots, 32, joined former UFC bantamweight champion Petr Yan as only the second man to defeat Magomedov as he claimed scores of 29-28, 30-27, 30-27 on the judges' scorecards after three action-packed rounds.

Stots used his defensive wrestling skills to nullify Magomedov's vaunted ground game, and threatened to hand the Russian the first finish of his career when he locked up a rear-naked choke in the final round.

Magomedov used his grappling smarts to escape Stots' clutches, but was unable to prevent the American from claiming a huge win to improve his career record to 17-1 and extend his winning streak to nine fights.

With his Roufusport gym teammate Sergio Pettis currently holding Bellator's 135-pound title, Stots called on Bellator to create a $1 million bantamweight Grand Prix tournament.

"What I would love is, what do you all think about a bantamweight million-dollar tournament?" he said.

"Let me fight Magomed again. Let's do a tournament, because I want all the smoke.

"If I have to fight Sergio [for the title], Sergio, you know I love you. We just gotta do it. But if not, let's do a bantamweight tournament."

Franklin's fast finish
Earlier on the main card, undefeated heavyweight prospect "All Day" Davion Franklin blasted his way to a 21-second knockout victory as he handed Everett Cummings the first defeat of his 16-fight career in emphatic fashion.

An oblique kick to the knee from Franklin, 27, put Cummings in big trouble early, and Franklin stepped into punching range and dropped his man with a big right hand before finishing him on the ground to improve his perfect professional record to 4-0.

After his victory, Franklin issued a challenge to France's No.3-ranked heavyweight contender Cheick Kongo.

"I heard Cheick Kongo [was] commenting on Everett Cummings' Instagram post, saying that Everett's going to tap me out," he said.

"Hey, Cheick Kongo. Step up! You'll get done the same way, if not worse!"

BBC

Bellator light heavyweight champion Vadim Nemkov survived an early scare before retaining his title in dominant fashion at Bellator 268.

The fans inside the Footprint Center in Phoenix, Arizona briefly thought they were about to witness a shock when Julius Anglickas - a short-notice replacement for quarter-final winner Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson - dropped the champion with a big right hand inside the opening 90 seconds of the fight.

But it was one-way traffic for the remainder of the fight as Nemkov, 29, recovered well and went on to dominate the action until he forced Anglickas to submit to a Kimura armlock with 35 seconds remaining in the fourth round.

"He caught me, but I wasn't knocked down. I just kinda fell," he explained after the fight.

"The reason I went more to grappling was because he's got a hard head. I hit him with a few good shots and realised it's not going to happen, so I decided to go with submissions."

Nemkov then revealed the secret behind his submission finish as he switched techniques on his opponent after unsuccessfully attempting to force the tap with armbars.

"I tried for a few armbars, and he was slipping and kind of getting on top of me," he said.

"So I decided that, OK, next time I'm going to pretend to go for an armbar, then switch to a Kimura."

Nemkov's victory improved his record to 15 wins, two losses and cemented his status as the man to beat in Bellator's talent-stacked 205lb division.

It also saw the Stary Oskol native advance to the final of the Bellator light heavyweight grand prix, where he will take on former UFC contender Corey 'Overtime' Anderson for the tournament title.

Nunes lost but am not surprised, many calling it an upset and what not but the less specialist nature of the sport ought to reflect a higher number of ‘upsets’ I’d think. Those who have been dominant for a sustained enough period or managed an unbeaten record deserve praise, especially Khabib.

Michael 'Venom' Page will face Yaroslav Amosov for the Bellator welterweight title in London on 13 May.

The 34-year-old is the first British fighter to challenge for a Bellator world title on home soil while Amosov defends his belt for the first time.

Page said London was the logical venue for the bout, which will be broadcast on the BBC iPlayer.

"Everyone knows what I can do in my country. It just makes sense," he told BBC Sport.

"I don't think he has a choice but to come to London. It doesn't matter who has the belt - it matters who has the biggest reputation. You're not going to sell that fight anywhere else."

There have only been two British world champions in the USA's two biggest mixed martial arts promotions. Michael Bisping achieved the feat in the UFC in 2016 and Liam McGeary enjoyed a reign as Bellator's light heavyweight champion in 2014.

Yet even when offered the chance to become only the second Briton to win a Bellator title, Page had to be convinced to accept the fight.

That was because he had set his sights on a trilogy decider against Douglas Lima, who he lost to in 2019 and then beat last October. That defeat was his only loss in 21 contests.

But his team believed that the best option was to fight Amosov for the belt and then pursue another fight with Brazil's Lima as champion.

"It was me that was trying to go away from the title, but now, it makes sense," Page said.

"I've always said from the beginning, I'm not here for the title. It'll come. If you keeping winning, you'll end up with a title.

"That's never been my goal. My goals have been to entertain and draw more eyes to the industry and make changes. I feel a lot of things needs to change.

"You have to be in a certain position to make changes but those things are way more important than just the bling."

Amosov is a formidable champion - unbeaten in 26 pro fights, and an elite wrestler and grappler. The 28-year-old swept aside swept Lima via a unanimous decision at Bellator 260 last June, in what was predominantly a wrestling contest.

Page said many would consider his opponent the "best guy in MMA right now" because of his undefeated record.

"The guy is amazing," Page said. "If you actually think about it, he's technically the best guy in MMA right now. In terms of his winning record I think he's at the top.

"The only person who was ahead of him was Khabib [Nurmagomedov], and he's retired now. He's very good everywhere. Very dangerous, great wrestler, good with his submissions.

"I don't think he's that dangerous standing up, but his understanding of stand-up makes him dangerous.

"It means he's hard to hit and he sets up his takedowns so well. He is a very dangerous person. It's a great fight for me to test where I am."

BBC

Former UFC champion and WWE star Cain Velasquez arrested on suspicion of attempted murder

Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

The San Jose Police Department confirmed the 39-year-old was taken into custody on Monday following a shooting in the Bay Area of California.

The incident resulted in one male being taken to hospital with what have been described as “non-life threatening injuries”.

Velasquez is due to appear in court in California on Wednesday to face charges.

“Cain Velasquez was the suspect arrested yesterday in connection with this incident,” San Jose Police said on Twitter.

“He was booked into Santa Clara County main jail for attempted murder. The motive and circumstances surrounding this incident are still under investigation at this time.”

Velasquez was a former star of the UFC and a two-time champion.

He won his first nine mixed martial arts contests and became UFC champion in the highest weight category by stopping Brock Lesnar in the first round of their October 2010 bout.

He dropped the title to Junior Dos Santos in his next bout 13 months later but rebounded to beat the Brazilian in December 2012.

He made two successful defences, including coming out on top of a trilogy bout against Dos Santos.

https://talksport.com/sport/mma/1053973/cain-velasquez-ufc-shooting-arrested-wwe/

<b>Israel Adesanya: UFC champion on fame, freedom of expression and boycotting New Zealand</b>

A world-class striker, an elite entertainer and an enigma on the mic - the mention of the name Israel Adesanya elicits a number of opinions from MMA fans.

But for the 32-year-old UFC middleweight champion, the reaction he would like from people when they hear his name is far more simple.

"I'd like them to smile. Like a good feeling. Yeah, I just want people to have a good memory when they hear my name," he tells BBC Sport.

Meeting Adesanya at a hotel in London for this interview, he reveals a side to his personality only those closest to him get to see.

Here he tells BBC Sport about the difficulties of being famous, why he believes in freedom of expression and why he will never fight in New Zealand again.

Adesanya, who was born in Nigeria but lives in New Zealand, says one of the most important lessons he has learned during his rise to stardom in the UFC is to protect his personal space and energy.

"Nobody writes a book on how to be famous and how to deal with it, so you have to write your own," Adesanya says.

"I've watched the pitfalls of a lot of famous athletes, actresses, actors and musicians, and seen how they have dealt with it, so I've avoided being one of those tabloid stories.

"People don't care - they just want to take your peace and your time.

"Everyone needs their peace. I am a social butterfly, I'm extroverted when I want to be, but there's times I need to be with my own thoughts and be at peace with myself."

Adesanya is one of the most dominant fighters in the world.

Nicknamed the Last Stylebender in reference to an anime character, he has held the middleweight title since 2019 and defended it five times, convincingly dispatching the finest talent the division has to offer.

His most recent win was a unanimous decision over great rival Robert Whittaker.

In the aftermath of previous fights, Adesanya has revealed he suffers from bouts of depression once the initial buzz and elation of victory dies down.

Asked if he was worried about any decline in his mental health again when he goes back to New Zealand, Adesanya insisted he was not.

"I know how to deal with those things now," he says.

"It's kind of like drinking coffee, it's a stimulant and then you have a crash.

"I was surrounded by so much stimulation that when I went home and was eventually by myself, for about two weeks, I was really depressed and I was like 'what's this about?'

"It was all these negative feelings and self-talk. But I did therapy and that helped. One tool is having the right people around me who keep it real with me, that's paramount."

"It's also knowing this is just temporary and this will pass, and knowing who I am."

Ever since his UFC debut in 2018 Adesanya has stood out from other fighters on the roster.

He is as sharp on the microphone as he is with his striking, illustrated by the mental and physical dismantling of Paulo Costa in their fight in 2020 - a performance Adesanya rates as his best in the UFC.

He is as flamboyant inside the octagon as he is out of it, his mastery of kickboxing mirrored by his desire to express himself in everyday life.

Before his fight against Whittaker last month, Adesanya revealed another side to his personality by painting his nails - a trait he encourages other people to embrace.

"I implore you to just do you - it [doesn't matter] what anyone thinks," he says.

"If someone is pressed with you because you paint your nails, that says more about them than it does about you.

"It's not hurting anyone, disrespecting anyone, it's just expressing yourself. Don't let people rule how you wanna live your life.

"What you see is always the real me. People when they meet me say 'man, you're a lot different to what you're like on TV' and I'm like 'well, you're not trying to fight me!'"

Adesanya says his open-mindedness comes from growing up with strict parents.

"I hate being controlled, I hate being told what to do, being manipulated and people trying to tell me how to live my life," he says.

"I like freedom of thought, freedom of expression, and I guess that's where my rebellious streak comes from."

Adesanya's rebellious streak and fierce loyalty to those close to him was evident when he criticised New Zealand's governing bodies in September.

Angered at how his team-mate Dan Hooker had been treated by authorities during lockdown, Adesanya said he would never fight in New Zealand again.

"They were giving the netball teams and the All Blacks special privileges to train, so we were like 'oh cool, we'll train in our facility', but then the police came and said 'no you can't do that'," he explains.

"Dan got contacted by the police over a dozen times and they said 'if we catch you at the gym again, we're going to arrest you'.

"So I was like 'you don't need me - you have rugby, netball - you'll never see millions of tax revenue from my fights', that was my way of protesting."

Adesanya claims Hooker's treatment by the governing bodies reflects how they view MMA compared to other sports in the country.

"If they did it to me [threatened to arrest] I had a built-in excuse that I'm too brash or too loudmouth or whatever.

"But when they did that to Dan I realised it wasn't even about me anymore - it's about our sport.

"It's these old heads who prioritise traditional sports and I'm like 'what is tradition?' Tradition is what you make it."

After turning his back on New Zealand, Adesanya has set his sights on taking the UFC to Africa.

Despite currently boasting three African-born champions in Adesanya, Kamaru Usman and Francis Ngannou, the series has never held an event on the continent.

"Fighting in Africa is a dream we have which is going to be actualised. Somehow by hook or by crook, we'll make it happen," Adesanya says.

"Only last night I saw a mural of me being painted on a wall in some village in Nigeria. The fact someone took their time out to paint a big mural, on a wall in some village is just amazing to me.

"For them to want to express art like that, makes me feel all the good feelings and humbled."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/mixed-martial-arts/60550218?presentid=webnews&ocid=msedgntp

Kamaru Usman claims Jorge Masvidal 'has the tools to steal the fight away' from Colby Covington, but Gilbert Burns and Chael Sonnen tip 'Chaos' to win... MMA stars give their verdict on UFC 272's headline clash

Almost everyone watching Colby Covington vs Jorge Masvidal will be desperate for one of them to win.

This is not a shrug-your-shoulders and enjoy it kind of fight and the protagonists - especially Covington - are marmite fighters: you love them or hate them.

Masvidal has enjoyed an Indian summer to his career with big wins over the likes of Ben Askren and Nate Diaz but will his versatile striking game be able to keep off Covington's relentless pressure and wrestling ability?

One fighter who knows very well what it is like to share an octagon with these fighters is Kamaru Usman.

Usman told ESPN: 'I think [Masvidal] could potentially win the fight because one thing about him is he's one of the only guys who in his stance, he's so tall in his stance – but he's able to defend takedowns from some of the best wrestlers.

'He's very, very good at striking – so relaxed – and is so fast and he's able to touch you. He might not feel as hard, but he can touch that button to be able to shut the lights off.

'I mean, being able to run across the octagon in five seconds, land a knee like that (against Ben Askren) just shows a different level of athleticism.

'He's a skilled fighter, and he definitely has the tools to be able to land that shot to steal this fight away from Covington.'

And light-heavyweight Anthony Smith agrees, telling MMA Crazy: 'Colby has taken so much damage recently because of the way he fights, and I would expect him to take the same approach as Kamaru Usman did against Masvidal.

'Those two trained together for a long time - they know each other's secrets. The mental edge goes to Masvidal, he's more of a G, I think Masvidal finishes him.'

But fellow welterweight Gilbert Burns sided with Covington, saying: 'I think that is going to be a freaking drama show.

'I do believe Colby Covington wins with his pace and wrestling.'

Even though the bookmakers are tipping Covington to win, putting him as a 1/3 favourite, a number of fighters opted for the big-fight pedigree of Masvidal.

Michael Chiesa said: 'That's a tough fight for both guys.

'Jorge Masvidal has shown what he's capable of - what he does against Usman on short notice was so impressive.

'Colby brings a lot of different things to the table, he's got a lot of volume and strikes from range.

'I wouldn't be surprised if Colby got the better of Masvidal in training sessions, but I think Masvidal is a gametime fighter and that's a huge x factor - I'm going with Masvidal.'

But Jack Hermansson added: 'I really love Masvidal, but Colby Covington is special - he has insane pace and wrestling.

'I believe Covington takes that one.'

British star Lerone Murphy struggled to decide but eventually landed on Masvidal: 'I'm going Colby. It's a tough one, Masvidal took that Usman fight on six days notice - actually, I'm going Masvidal.'

Retired two-weight champion Henry Cejudo told Helen Yee Sports: 'I'm going with Jorge but if he's not working his wrestling, different transitions to get out from underneath, he'll be in for a bad night.

Covington is an all-American wrestler. Masvidal is going to have to go for broke. When Colby stays on the leg he is like a dog with a bone.

And it is too close to call for Sean O'Malley, who added: 'Jorge has more power in his shots, you don't really see him gas out, Colby has an insane gas tank.

'It is a coin flip to me, I have no idea how it will play out. The bad blood makes it more interesting.'

Chael Sonnen deliberated for some time but eventually came down on the side of Covington, but thinks it will be a long night's work.

'This is as close to a true super-fight as you can possibly bring us, ' he told his YouTube channel.

'There's no part of me telling you this is going to be easy. But I'm giving you a prediction and I predict at the end of the night, the victor is going to be Colby Covington.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/m...e-Masvidal-vs-Colby-Covington-main-event.html

Just bought the PPV for Masvidal vs Colby Covington. Two former best friends turned bitter rivals and enemies.

True to his form - Covington did not mind crossing all lines by attacking Masvidal where it hurts him - his former wife, his kids among other things.

While Covington is still playing his WWE style heel character - Masvidal I suspect is not that - he is an OG from streets of Miami and he has a point to prove after getting knocked out by Usman in his last fight.

Covington is odds on favorite but of course this is MMA and Masvidal could put Covington to sleep.

One of the very rare times that UFC scheduled a 5 round non-title fight. And this fight deserves it.

Oh wow Spivak destroys Hardy in the very first round. Pretty easy victory. Hardy was almost 40 lbs heavier but that was not in consideration against superior technique of Spivak. Spivak got Hardy down 3 times.

An anti-climax - the very match of the PPV.

There's just been an announcement that KHABIB NURMAGOMEDOV will soon be induced into Hall Of Fame. Is there a better fighter who is more deserving than Khabib for his honor? No. Khabib the goat.

What a stunning turnaround for Kevin Holland after losing first round of the fight. Fantastic fight.

Awesome victory for Kevin.

One of the most one sided fights I've seen in the recent times. Bryce Mitchell demolishes veteran Barboza.

A very humble religious man - Bryce Mitchell.

He just said 45% of his prize money will go to underprivileged children - to a round of massive applause from the crowd.

What a fight for Dos Anjos but what an unbelievable warrior Moicano is. On another day with another referee this fight could have been stopped much before the 5th round. But it was not and it turned out into an absolute dog fight.

I do feel though Dos Anjos went a bit easy on Moicano in the 5th round out of respect for him after the horrendous damage suffered by Moicano through the fight.

What a dominating performance by Colby - and to be honest expectedly so. If not for Kamaru Usman - Colby would have been the champion in this division. Wrestling/grappling proving to be Masvidal's Achilee's heel.

Tough loss for Masvidal given his rivalry with Colby.

Colby looked miles better than Masvidal as expected. Colby has another level of wrestling & cardio.

RDA looked good and strong. He’s well rounded but I think he would struggle against someone like Islam.

Bryce Mitchell is impressive. Been following him since TUF. He has good pressure and top game. He struggles with his boxing and he looks a bit slow with his kickboxing as well.

Hardy is not impressive at all. I understand he’s just gotten into the sport but he’s well behind many HW’s currently on the roster.

Umar looked great. His kicking is ELITE. Extremely fluent and light on his feet to go along with a strong grappling background. He’s definitely a champion in the future.

Overall, a decent night of fights. Main event was a bit of a bummer especially with Masvidal hurting Colby and not following up.

UFC London: Heavyweight Tom Aspinall beats Alexander Volkov in first round

Britain's Tom Aspinall needed just one round to submit Russian Alexander Volkov at UFC London.

The heavyweight was thrust into the spotlight this week as the headline attraction for the first time and came up with the biggest win of his career.

Aspinall, 28, is now targeting a showdown with number-three-ranked heavyweight Tai Tuivasa.

"I've been telling you all week, I'm born for this. I'm ready," Aspinall said.

"We drink beer in the UK, not just Australia. Next time you're in the UK, Mr Tai Tuivasa, let's do it bro."

Aspinall has been tipped as a future UFC champion and showed no signs of nervousness in his first UFC main event slot.

The Manchester native was up against a seasoned contender in Russian Volkov, but was clinical in his approach and was happy to compete on the ground.

Volkov was in trouble with Aspinall on top and escaped a kimura attempt early on and got back to his feet. But Aspinall managed to take Volkov down again and this time made no mistake as he secured a straight armlock.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/mixed-martial-arts/60810282

Kamaru Usman v Leon Edwards: 'I'll prove Britons can be UFC champions from home'

Leon Edwards says his title fight against Kamaru Usman will prove Britons do not have to move abroad to become UFC champions.

UFC president Dana White said last week that Edwards, who lives and trains in Birmingham, will fight for welterweight gold at a date yet to be confirmed.

Should Edwards win, he will follow Michael Bisping in becoming only the second British UFC champion in history.

Bisping won the middleweight title in 2016 but lived and trained in America.

"When I was younger I started believing that you have to move to America," Edwards, 30, told BBC Sport.

"But apart from Bisping, I can't name one other fighter who's left the UK and moved to America and been successful."

"So where is the blueprint to say this works? It doesn't. You just need the right team around you, believe in yourself, work hard and dedicate yourself where you need to."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/mixed-martial-arts/60865327

The UFC is set to return to London on July 23 and the event could clash with Anthony Joshua’s rematch against Oleksandr Usyk for the WBO, WBA (Super), and IBF heavyweight titles.

The MMA leader returned to the UK for the first time in three years in March and was a huge success. In his post-event press conference, UFC president Dana White announced they will return to the British Isles sooner rather than later.

After weeks of speculation, it was confirmed on Thursday that the UFC will hold another event at the O2 Arena this summer, with July 23 being the chosen date.

It remains to be seen if the UFC’s return to the UK will impact Usyk vs. Joshua 2.

An event stacked with British talents such as Darren Till, Tom Aspinall, Arnold Allen, Paddy Pimblett, Molly McCann, Paul Craig, Muhammad Mokaev and Jack Shore will surely pull people who would usually watch big boxing fights away from what promises to be an epic bout between Usyk and Joshua.

There is a sense of anticipation in Phoenix, Arizona.

UFC 274 takes place in the city known as the Valley of the Sun on Saturday (03:00 BST, Sunday) with a stacked fight card, headlined by Brazil's Charles Oliveira, who faces Arizona's own Justin Gaethje.

There was drama on Friday as Oliveira was stripped of his lightweight title for failing to make the weight, meaning only Gaethje can win the belt.

In the co-main, Rose Namajunas faces fellow American Carla Esparza for the strawweight title in a rematch eight years on from their first encounter, which Esparza won to become the UFC's first 115-pound champion.

And on the undercard, Michael Chandler takes on Tony Ferguson in a fight many fans believe will steal the show.

Justin Gaethje, 33, has a formidable reputation across MMA.

His nickname is the 'Human Highlight Reel' in reference to the number of spectacular knockouts on his resume, which features 20 stoppages in 23 fights.

Once branded a reckless fighter, Gaethje is now as merciless as they come. His savagery is complimented by his technical mastery and discipline.

However, the American has yet to become undisputed lightweight champion, falling short in his previous opportunity against Khabib Nurmagomedov in 2020.

Now, against Oliveira he gets the chance again, and has told BBC Sport how it would feel to win the title in front of his fans in Arizona.

"The only thing I envisage, and I've envisaged this four times - is him [Oliveira] falling asleep," said Gaethje.

"I want it [winning the title] to feel as pure as possible and it's going to feel amazing."

Although the attraction for fans in Arizona is the presence of Gaethje, Oliveria is one of the biggest names in the sport.

The 32-year-old won the belt a year ago against Chandler before successfully defending it in December by choking out Dustin Poirier.

He has 10 consecutive wins, with finishes in all but one, and 15 submissions throughout his UFC career - the most in the promotion's history.

Chandler has fought both fighters recently, and believes it will be Gaethje who gets his hand raised.

"If anybody is going to wilt, it's going to be Oliveira, although we have seen a tougher and more resilient Oliveira in the last couple of fights," Chandler told BBC Sport.

"I still think Gaethje has the edge in the striking, the power, the punches and bunches, the chin, the cardio plus the toughness.

"So, if I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Justin Gaethje but one thing we've learnt about Oliveira is you can't count him out."

It is eight years since Esparza submitted Namajunas to become the UFC's first strawweight champion.

Since that fight however, both fighter's careers have followed different trajectories.

Namajunas, 29, rebounded quickly and has established herself as one of the best 115-pound fighters in the world, becoming a two-time strawweight champion.

Esparza meanwhile, has had an up-and-down career since.

She lost her next fight to Joanna Jędrzejczyk in 2015 and subsequently struggled to put a run of victories together until 2019. The 34-year-old now enters the rematch with Namajunas on the back of a five-fight win streak.

"There are so many emotions, but I'm like, 'finally the fight's here'," said Esparza.

"I think stylistically we're both similar to what we were back in the day. But when we originally fought, she [Namajunas] was a lot greener to the sport.

"She's more comfortable on the big stage now and that will play a big factor - she was dangerous back then and she is now."

Chandler v Ferguson has all the ingredients to be a classic but both fighters are in desperate need of a victory.

Chandler, 36, has proved to be an entertaining acquisition for the UFC since making his debut in January 2021 but has suffered defeat in two of his three fights.

Meanwhile, Ferguson - once considered one of the best lightweights on the planet - is coming off three lopsided defeats.

Many now believe Ferguson's best days are behind him but Chandler disagrees.

"He's probably going to be at his most dangerous," Chandler told BBC Sport.

"The thing that makes Tony so scary is that he's so unpredictable, there isn't a man alive that can help you prepare for him.

"That's why everyone is going to be on the edge of their seat and that's why we are going to steal the show."

BBC

UFC 274: Charles Oliveira claims exhilarating win over Justin Gaethje

Charles Oliveira's dominance in the lightweight division continued with an exhilarating first-round submission win over Justin Gaethje at UFC 274.

But the belt is vacant after Oliveira failed to make the weight at 155lbs, which meant the Brazilian became the first reigning UFC champion to be stripped of a title before the bout.

American Gaethje would have taken the belt if he had won and he came close.

He twice knocked Oliveira down but was forced to submit in a frenetic contest.

Five things we learned at UFC 274
Oliveira, 32, who was half a pound over the limit at Friday's weigh-in, recovered quickly from both knockdowns and then dropped Gaethje with a crisp right hand.

He then locked in a rear naked choke which forced the American to tap in a relentless fight in Phoenix, Arizona.

The Brazilian extended his winning streak to 11 and will now fight for the vacant title.

"There's something wrong here," Oliveira said in his post-fight interview.

"The champion's name is Charles Oliveira. I made weight Thursday and you took my belt away. I'm a problem for the entire division. I am the champion. This is my title. It should be here."

Oliveira then called out former UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor, saying: "You coming up or you're going to run away?"

Gaethje is now 0-2 in undisputed world title fights having lost to Khabib Nurmagomedov for the lightweight title in October 2020.

Esparza claims gold in upset
Carla Esparza defeated Rose Namajunas with a split-decision victory to become a two-time strawweight champion.

The fight was largely uneventful with minimal activity throughout the five rounds and generated plenty of negative reviews from fans online for a lack of action.

However, Esparza did just enough to earn scores of 49-46 and 48-47 from two judges. Namajunas won 48-47 on the scorecard of one judge.

Neither fighter seemed interested in taking any risks in the fight.

Esparza, 34, did score two takedowns in the fourth round but was never close to finishing Namajunas.

The new champion and Namajunas are the only women strawweight fighters with multiple title reigns in the division.

Chandler brutally knocks out Ferguson
Michael Chandler secured one of the greatest knockouts in UFC history, stopping Tony Ferguson with a front kick to the face early in the second round.

The fight was fast paced from the start.

Ferguson, who was a heavy underdog, was able to land a knockdown in the first round and looked impressive.

But it took only 17 seconds of round two to end the fight in stunning fashion.

The former Bellator lightweight champion then also called out McGregor.

"Conor McGregor, you've got to come back and fight somebody. I am the most entertaining lightweight on the planet." Chandler said.

"But I want to up the stakes, Conor. I want you at your biggest, I want you at your baddest and I want you at your best. You and me at 170 this summer, this fall, this winter. Holler at your boy."
https://www.bbc.com/sport/mixed-martial-arts/61369053

Everyone calling out Mcgregor for a pay day BUT the UFC really need to make Charles V Islam asap. I can't see anyone else living with this version of Do Bronx.

The changing of the guard has been in motion over the last year or so but the rankings are a joke.

Chandler, Poirier, Gaethje and Ferguson will get mauled by the likes of Islam, Beneil, Arman and Fiziev.

Do Bronx is just too good at the moment.

Charles was oustadning, made a mockery of Justin! Islam v Charles has to be the fight to make. Connor is done but I wouldnt mind seeing him taking another hiding.

Tony should move into a retirement home! Great KO kick but nobody should be out cold unless they have taken a lot of damage recently, as Tony has.

Rose was a joke, happy she lost, worse fight Ive seen in years.

I don't think Connor can even make the weight but it will be an nice pay day for Charles who deserves it as well as an easy victory. It's crazy how much he has progressed, his striking is so crisp and no one dares going into his guard...Islam will.

I legit feared the worst when Tony crashed down and didn't move for a few seconds...I thought he was gonna win the way he started but he's a complete shell of his former self...glad he's ok but yeah he really needs to call it a day.

The Rose fight was the worst I've ever seen...what the hell were they doing and capped off by Roses emphatic "Yes!" at the end of it like she put in a great performance LOL.

Feels sad to see the demise of Tony Ferguson, he was looking almost unbeatable a few years ago, but age has caught up with him, and his punch resistance is shot. He's lost a few fights in a row now, maybe just needs to call it quits. This same fight in 2017 Chandler wouldn't have been able to live with him.

Oliveira is on his way into the Hall of Fame. Shame Khabib is retired, that would have been the one big match Khabib never made, he's faced all the rest and won. At the time Oliveira's star was still rising.

Tony of 5 years ago would have destroyed Chandler, Gaethje etc. He would put on such a pace that they wouldn't be able to keep up. Shame we never got the Tony V Khabib fight back in the day.

I hope UFC don't mess up and prevent Charles and Islam from fighting, the stylistic nature of it makes it very interesting.

Bellator London: Logan Storley dominates Michael 'Venom' Page to claim interim welterweight title in London

American Logan Storley claimed the interim welterweight belt at Bellator 281 beating Britain's Michael 'Venom' Page in London.

Page, the home favourite, was dominated by Storley over five rounds as the new champion executed a measured wrestling gameplan.

Storley was a worthy winner via split decision despite one judge giving it to Page, 48-47.

"The fans are mad at me, I appreciate it," Storley said.

"Boo me all you want, that guy is talented. Don't boo me for winning.

"I've trained with a lot of people but I have never felt that speed and distance. It is so awkward. He is playing basketball in the middle of the ring and hitting you at the same time. That guy is unbelievable and I had to do what I had to do.

"Boo me all you want, I am a world champion."

A historic night for British MMA and MVP was in the end not meant to be as Storley upset the odds in London.

The crowd hated the action, but Storley's decision to stick to his gameplan was in the end the right decision. MVP will feel Storley did no damage with his wrestling, but the 35-year-old's inability to get back to his feet was no doubt a big factor in the second defeat of his career.

Storley, on the other hand, returns home with an interim title and can now look forward to an undisputed clash with absent champion Yaroslav Amosov, who is currently fighting in Ukraine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/mixed-martial-arts/61445702

UFC 276: Results: Israel Adesanya, Alexander Volkanovski Wins Highlight Card

Israel Adesanya and Alexander Volkanovski both walked out of UFC 276 with their respective belts in hand.

The Last Stylebender left the main event from Las Vegas with a unanimous decision victory over Jared Cannonier. His pinpoint accuracy, movement and use of range once again set him apart from an opponent.

The usually explosive Cannonier looked much more plodding against the champion. While he found some success in the middle rounds with the clinch, it wasn't enough for him to put the champ in danger or convince the judges he won the fight.

Overall, it won't go down as one of Adesanya's most exciting fights, but it is a great example of the hold he has on the division.

The 32-year-old continues to pile up the title defenses at middleweight. He has five, including wins over Robert Whittaker, Marvin Vettori and Paulo Costa.

Adesanya wasn't the only big winner on the night, though. Volkanovski's title defense was special, and several fighters made statements. Here's a look at the complete results.

UFC 276 Results

Main Card

Israel Adesanya def. Jared Cannonier via unanimous decision (50-45, 49-46, 49-46)

Alexander Volkanovski def. Max Holloway via unanimous decision (50-45, 50-45, 50-45)

Alex Pereira def. Sean Strickland via KO (punches), 2:36 of Round 1

Bryan Barberena def. Robbie Lawler via TKO (punches), 4:47 of Round 2

Sean O'Malley and Pedro Munhoz ended in a No Contest (eye poke), 3:09 of Round 2

Prelims

Jalin Turner def. Brad Riddell via submission (guillotine choke), 0:45 of Round 1

Jim Miller def. Donald Cerrone via submission (guillotine choke), 1:32 of Round 2

Ian Garry def. Gabriel Green via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Dricus Du Plessis def. Brad Tavares via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)

Andre Muniz def. Uriah Hall via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Maycee Barber def. Jessica Eye via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)

Julija Stoliarenko def. Jessica Rose-Clark via submission (armbar), 0:42 of Round 1

UFC London: Paddy Pimblett sensationally submits Jordan Leavitt in second round

Paddy Pimblett sensationally submitted Jordan Leavitt in the second round of their lightweight bout at UFC London.

In a close fight, Pimblett, 27, locked Leavitt in a rear-naked choke, sparking jubilation inside the 02 Arena.

Liverpool's Pimblett used his post-fight interview to raise awareness of mental health after he lost a friend to suicide earlier this week.

"If you're feeling the weight of the world on your shoulders, please speak to someone," he said.

"I woke up on Friday morning at 4am to a message that one of my friends had killed himself. So, Ricky lad, that's for you.

"Listen, if you're a man, please speak to someone, speak to anyone. I'd rather my mate cry on my shoulder than go to his funeral next week."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/mixed-martial-arts/62280856

UFC Fight Night is such a poor production. We had three "experts" commenting on the night, Paul Felder, Michael Bisping and John Gooden and not one of them understood why Brit heavyweight rising star Tom Aspinall collapsed clutching his leg during his fight with Curtis Blaydes. Just watch the replay, he tried a leg kick and caught Blaydes knee with his own at an awkward angle. None of those dopes spotted it because they are not students of the game, they are retired fighters which is a different skill set.

This is why Joe Rogan commands such a huge audience and is still the main man when it comes to official UFC contests. I like Felder and Bisping generally, but when it comes to analysis you really do need experts.

Tom Aspinall will have knee surgery this week after suffering a freak accident at UFC London last month.

Leon Edwards says he will "humble" welterweight champion Kamaru Usman in their rematch at UFC 278 because "the fame has gone to his head".

UFC 278: Leon Edwards shocks Kamaru Usman to win UFC welterweight title

Britain's Leon Edwards sensationally knocked out Kamaru Usman to win the welterweight title at UFC 278 in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Behind on points in the fifth, Edwards, 30, landed a left high-kick to stun Nigeria's pound-for-pound number one fighter.

Edwards becomes the first British champion since Michael Bisping in 2016 and only the second in history.

"You all doubted me, saying I couldn't do it - look at me now," said Edwards.

"I'm from the trenches. I'm built like this. I've been doubted my whole life but look at me now."

In beating Usman, Birmingham's Edwards avenges his defeat in 2015 and ends the 35-year-old's 15-fight unbeaten streak in the UFC.

Jamaican-born Edwards, who was a big underdog with bookmakers going into the bout, extends his winning streak to 10 following the defeat to Usman seven years ago.

Usman won the first fight by using his wrestling to control the majority of the contest - a tactic Edwards says opened his eyes to weaknesses in his own grappling game.

Following that bout Edwards worked hard on his wrestling and the improvements made were evident from the start of the rematch.

In the first round he tripped Usman, becoming the first fighter in UFC history to complete a takedown on the Nigerian.

Usman responded strongly in the second and third round, pressuring Edwards with flurries of strikes and controlling much of the contest with his grappling.

At the end of the round Edwards' corner loudly urged their fighter to up his game and "get his hands moving".

Edwards started to show signs of fatigue in the fourth, brought on by the relentless grappling from Usman, as the champion landed an effortless takedown and continued to control the fight.

With Usman likely ahead on points going into the fifth Edwards needed something special - and the Briton delivered.

With a feint he lured Usman's head to the side, before landing a clean left high-kick, leaving the Nigerian stunned on the canvas.

Edwards jumped on the cage in celebration as the enormity of what he had achieved started to sink in.

UFC commentator Joe Rogan said the kick which ended the fight was potentially the best he's seen in the UFC, with Edwards shocking Usman in the fifth while behind on points being arguably the sport's biggest ever upset.

BBC

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">LEON EDWARDS IS THE NEW UFC WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPION <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/UFC278?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#UFC278</a> <a href="https://t.co/HSmG1Co3PV">pic.twitter.com/HSmG1Co3PV</a></p>— DarrenRawDogTill (@raw_till) <a href="https://twitter.com/raw_till/status/1561215897750183937?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 21, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Usman needs to get an immediate rematch. Congrats to Leon that was one of the best comebacks in UFC history. This is Usman's first loss in the UFC but I think he wins the rematch. Usman was dominating rounds 2-5 he just got too casual and left an opening that Leon exploited.

This will delay Khamzat's title shot assuming he gets past Daiz easily.

That was wild. Usman had that won all ends up but because he wanted to dominate and refused to coast in the final round, he got caught by a counter. Rocky is a worhy champion though, he showed some real skills and fortitude in this fight. I rhink this might be the passing of the guard. Kumaru is looking older with every fight.

That was wild. Usman had that won all ends up but because he wanted to dominate and refused to coast in the final round, he got caught by a counter. Rocky is a worhy champion though, he showed some real skills and fortitude in this fight. I rhink this might be the passing of the guard. Kumaru is looking older with every fight.

I wouldnt count out Usman yet, after the first round he was dominating both stand up and the ground. He just laid back , relaxed in the last round expecting Leon to fade more but forgot Leon was still believing and wanting to win.

The headkick was incredible, the power and precision was perfect.

So happy for a fellow Brummie to be only the 2nd Brit to win a UFC world belt! He's a great chap, very friendly and gets on with all in Brum.

Re-match is a certainty and in England. Usman will reclaim the belt imo and then lose to Khamzat before retiring.

I wouldnt count out Usman yet, after the first round he was dominating both stand up and the ground. He just laid back , relaxed in the last round expecting Leon to fade more but forgot Leon was still believing and wanting to win.

So happy for a fellow Brummie to be only the 2nd Brit to win a UFC world belt! He's a great chap, very friendly and gets on with all in Brum.

Re-match is a certainty and in England. Usman will reclaim the belt imo and then lose to Khamzat before retiring.

This bloke was on a 10-11 fight winning streak, that’s outstanding in MMA, what a win for the second city. Birmingham has now produced world champions in both Boxing and the UFC! plus we have a reigning Boxing Olympic Gold Medalist / future champion in Yafai

This bloke was on a 10-11 fight winning streak, that’s outstanding in MMA, what a win for the second city. Birmingham has now produced world champions in both Boxing and the UFC! plus we have a reigning Boxing Olympic Gold Medalist / future champion in Yafai

Birmingham will be the future of combat stars from the UK bro!

Not sure if you watched it live but they cut to his gym in Brum, kids from all races, backgrounds and class were shown jumping for joy.

Birmingham has a strong Jamaican community as you know. So many kids grow up with lack of opportunities, Im hoping this amazing success from Leon will pave the way for more gyms, more facilities and more inspiration.

A truly genuine chap, his speech after claiming the belt was one of the best. Even I had a tear in my eye when he was on the phone to his mom, who I believe is still in Jamaica. Coming from a slum in Jamaica, moving to an estate in Brum but ending up as World Champ is a unique and incredible story.

I will be watching him live when he defends his title in London!

Birmingham will be the future of combat stars from the UK bro!

Not sure if you watched it live but they cut to his gym in Brum, kids from all races, backgrounds and class were shown jumping for joy.

Birmingham has a strong Jamaican community as you know. So many kids grow up with lack of opportunities, Im hoping this amazing success from Leon will pave the way for more gyms, more facilities and more inspiration.

A truly genuine chap, his speech after claiming the belt was one of the best. Even I had a tear in my eye when he was on the phone to his mom, who I believe is still in Jamaica. Coming from a slum in Jamaica, moving to an estate in Brum but ending up as World Champ is a unique and incredible story.

I will be watching him live when he defends his title in London!

That's pretty cool, I didn't get to watch it live but that raw emotion and feel good factor is amazing here (I loved the feint with the jab drawing Usman into the slip that was beautiful), whatever we want to say about our communities, in the second city we are very close to our mothers and for him to share that moment with her, reflects nicely on what the city stands for and you're right, god willing it will be a hot bed for combat stars in the future. I've already heard that Birmingham ABC is seeing a new wave of interest and the same will happen at the gym Leon trains in, MMA is extremely popular in Brum, in fact I would say it's more popular in Brum then anywhere else in the country imo and this was bound to happen

I'm not counting Usman out, I expect he'll win the rematch, but I'm noticing he's not as dominant as he was, even in the last Covington fight he looked less destructive. Also Leon has the tools to give him trouble, I would think this would give him a real boost of confidence for the rematch. Usman will still win, he'll just overwhelm him, but I imagine Rocky will land a few heavy leg kicks before he succumbs, he seemed to be giving Usman some discomfort with those in the early rounds.

Bellator Dublin: Melvin Manhoef faces Yoel Romero in rescheduled bout after injury stopping burglars

Melvin Manhoef was in Paris promoting an upcoming bout against Yoel Romero when he heard some worrying news - men could be planning to burgle his home.

His wife and children at his house in the Netherlands had found sheets of paper pushed under his front door - a trick used by thieves who assume if the paper is not picked up within days, then nobody is home.

After his family checked footage on their neighbour's camera, they discovered a man who they didn't recognise placing the paper, and a car waiting around that they had never seen before.

Manhoef immediately rushed home.

"At that moment my wife and children didn't feel safe, because they didn't know what could happen. I was scared for them, so I came back from Paris," Manhoef, 46, tells BBC Sport.

After arriving home, while his family were out, Manhoef decided to wait in his car outside his house in hope of questioning the man if he arrived again.

More than an hour later, three men turned up in the car Manhoef had seen on the camera footage. They spotted Manhoef and drove off.

Manhoef sped after them, rammed their car off the road and apprehended all three men before the police arrived.

"What I did was very dangerous but to protect my family I did what I had to do," he said.

"I got out of the car shouting, going crazy saying 'my family' and this and that, and I went over to their car and threw one punch through the window, opening all my hand.

"I got the guys, I was shouting and pulled them out. I didn't hit them, but I had to say it, I was going out of my mind."

Manhoef says he drove at "about 120km/h" (75mph) down residential streets to catch the men.

He is not facing any charges for the incident, which occurred in March.

"I know it is a risk [to speed] but it was to protect the family. It isn't good, but the adrenaline takes over. This is who I am and I want to protect my family," he said.

"I said to them [while he waited for the police to arrive] 'listen, do something with your life, but not this, man. Don't steal from people. I know life is hard but don't do this'."

Manhoef injured his hand punching through the car window which forced his bout against Romero to be postponed.

The rescheduled light-heavyweight fight, which will be the 51st and final bout of Manhoef's 27-year MMA career, will take place at Bellator 285 in Dublin on Friday.

'It's an honour to fight Romero'
Since Manhoef made his debut in 1995 he has won 32 of his fights, lost 15, drawn one with two ending in no contests.

His last was a defeat against Corey Anderson in 2020.

Manhoef has experienced a lot of change throughout his career in MMA, where a sport and its athletes once marginalised in most places around the world now flourish.

Manhoef remains grateful that he was able to turn his passion for fighting into his profession.

"What is crazy is we get good pay now. Back then it was a lot less," he said.

"The sport is really accepted now, and people see you as a true sportsman.

"Of course, you don't do the sport for the money, you start as a hobby, so then you put in work, and then it is a job.

He continued: "We put our lives in danger and do a lot of things. This year I've broken my jaw, my thumb, my shin is split open, so many things, but you get paid well for it and I like it.

"It is my passion so I'm very glad I could turn my passion into my job."

In Cuba's Romero, Manhoef faces an opponent who like himself, is a veteran of the sport.

Romero, 45, is a former UFC middleweight title challenger who made his debut in 2009 following a background in wrestling.

His last fight was a dominant victory over Alex Polizzi at Bellator 280 in Paris, in May.

"He [Romero] is one of the greatest fighters I have fought against," said Manhoef.

"He is also a guy who did a lot in the sport, especially wrestling. It is a great honour to fight him.

"We can do our thing and see who is the best. This is the most interesting for a fighter because it's what you want to know. You want to be the best so you have to fight the best."

BBC

Benson Henderson outclassed Ireland's Peter Queally to earn a unanimous decision victory at Bellator 285 in Dublin.

Queally, 33, had no answer to American Henderson's grappling as the 38-year-old controlled the majority of the fight against the cage.

The victory puts Henderson on the verge of a lightweight title shot.

For Queally, it caps a disappointing 10 months which have produced back-to-back defeats.

He lost to the division's current champion Patricky 'Pitbull' Freire last November in Dublin, before pulling out of a bout in February with injury.

Queally had said pre-fight that a win over Henderson, who is third in the Bellator lightweight rankings and a former UFC champion, would go a long way to securing a title shot and trilogy bout with Pitbull.

Queally beat Brazil's Pitbull last May before losing the rematch five months later.

UFC 280 next saturday!

I'm so hyped for this card, it's one of the best cards I've ever seen and the main event between Charles Oliveira and Islam Mackachev is so intriguing to say the least!

I think Charles is going to come out all guns blazing and try to overwhelm Islam like he has done to the last few killers he put away. The confidence, forward momentum and variety of attacks are on another planet at the moment. Eeven when he's striking he constantly looks to clinch a neck or an arm to submit you.

Can Islam stifle him?

I think Islam plays it safe and defensive for the first 2 rounds, I doubt Charles can fight at the pace he does for more than 10 minutes, especially with Islam ontop of him and clinching. Islam will be hoping to find the takedowns pretty easy even if he runs into trouble standing.

I don't think Charles can submit Islam unless he rocks him first, I'd be surprised. I believe in Islam's cardio, I think he finishes it in round 4 on the mat sub or tko.

If Charles can fight at his recent frenetic pace for 4-5 rounds Islam might be in trouble (even then Islam's top game just may be too dominant).

This could be one of the greatest fights in the LW history but much will depend on Islam surviving the early blitz.

UFC 280 next saturday!

I'm so hyped for this card, it's one of the best cards I've ever seen and the main event between Charles Oliveira and Islam Mackachev is so intriguing to say the least!

I think Charles is going to come out all guns blazing and try to overwhelm Islam like he has done to the last few killers he put away. The confidence, forward momentum and variety of attacks are on another planet at the moment. Eeven when he's striking he constantly looks to clinch a neck or an arm to submit you.

Can Islam stifle him?

I think Islam plays it safe and defensive for the first 2 rounds, I doubt Charles can fight at the pace he does for more than 10 minutes, especially with Islam ontop of him and clinching. Islam will be hoping to find the takedowns pretty easy even if he runs into trouble standing.

I don't think Charles can submit Islam unless he rocks him first, I'd be surprised. I believe in Islam's cardio, I think he finishes it in round 4 on the mat sub or tko.

If Charles can fight at his recent frenetic pace for 4-5 rounds Islam might be in trouble (even then Islam's top game just may be too dominant).

This could be one of the greatest fights in the LW history but much will depend on Islam surviving the early blitz.

This is an incredible card for next Saturday in Abu Dhabi. Cant remember a card so good in recent times.

Imo Charles will not be so aggressive early on as he knows Islam will take him down quickly if coming forward. Imo Charles will want to strike Islam, hurt him, make him worried , less confident.

While Islam will want to be somewhat robotic, follow his game plan, stay balanced and dominate on top position.

I cant see Islam losing this unless he is knocked out, making a defensive mistake.

Other predictions.

Dillashaw to beat Sterling.

Yan to beat OMalley

Dariush to beat Gamrot.

This is an incredible card for next Saturday in Abu Dhabi. Cant remember a card so good in recent times.

Imo Charles will not be so aggressive early on as he knows Islam will take him down quickly if coming forward. Imo Charles will want to strike Islam, hurt him, make him worried , less confident.

While Islam will want to be somewhat robotic, follow his game plan, stay balanced and dominate on top position.

I cant see Islam losing this unless he is knocked out, making a defensive mistake.

Other predictions.

Dillashaw to beat Sterling.

Yan to beat OMalley

Dariush to beat Gamrot.

Yeah, even the prelims are quite spectacular. Belal Muhammad and Sean Brady should be a great fight and think Muhammad Mokaev has a bright future.

I think at Abu Dhabi there will be a lot of pressure on Islam and still have a sneaky feeling Charles is going to try and take advantage and put a lot of pressure on Islam. I wouldn't be surprised if he initiates the first takedown - the guy is a killer and possibly the most dangerous finisher in UFC history. Islam is great as the hammer, maybe this is the first time he is the nail and we have to see how he responds. I back him to battle adversity and find a way back but it's going to be tough imo.

I agree on Dillawshaw and Yan, hoping Yan decimates OMalley but I fancy Gamrot over Dariush, moreso if it was a 5 rounder. It should be a great fight but think Gamrot has a crazy gas tank and Dariush does sometimes fade.

Bring it on!

Yeah, even the prelims are quite spectacular. Belal Muhammad and Sean Brady should be a great fight and think Muhammad Mokaev has a bright future.

I think at Abu Dhabi there will be a lot of pressure on Islam and still have a sneaky feeling Charles is going to try and take advantage and put a lot of pressure on Islam. I wouldn't be surprised if he initiates the first takedown - the guy is a killer and possibly the most dangerous finisher in UFC history. Islam is great as the hammer, maybe this is the first time he is the nail and we have to see how he responds. I back him to battle adversity and find a way back but it's going to be tough imo.

I agree on Dillawshaw and Yan, hoping Yan decimates OMalley but I fancy Gamrot over Dariush, moreso if it was a 5 rounder. It should be a great fight but think Gamrot has a crazy gas tank and Dariush does sometimes fade.

Bring it on!

Not sure Charles will be able to negate Islam's wrestling and grappling. I feel Charles will want to keep this on the feet and go toe to toe. Charles will get hit a few times standing up but feels he can walk through Islam to land bigger knockout shots himself. On the floor, the Dagastanis are on another level.

280 may be the beginning of the Muslim takeover of the UFC. Islam should win, InshaAllah but then we also have Ankalaev, Askarov, Khamzat, Periera and Belal on the cusp of title shots. Kamaru of course, will be getting a rematch soon.

The next generation is also coming up strong with Umar and Usman Nurmagomedov are both killers and there are several other supremely talented guys that even I'm aware of from the caucusus.

Great to see.

Having said that, Charles is an absolute monster. This is the first time in a long time where the real fight starts once Islam gets the takedown, rather than my friends and I breathing a sigh of relief that the fight is over.

Not sure Charles will be able to negate Islam's wrestling and grappling. I feel Charles will want to keep this on the feet and go toe to toe. Charles will get hit a few times standing up but feels he can walk through Islam to land bigger knockout shots himself. On the floor, the Dagastanis are on another level.

He probably won't but he's a submission threat standing and on the bottom. This is not an easy fight for either guys but Islam is less battle-tested at the top and we are probably about to find out how much heart he has in this fight. I hope he pulls it off!

Having said that, Charles is an absolute monster. This is the first time in a long time where the real fight starts once Islam gets the takedown, rather than my friends and I breathing a sigh of relief that the fight is over.

He's a legend of the sport without a doubt!

He's likely going to be very aggressive and will pressure. Islam has to circle to make Charles Oliveira impatient. He will eventually throw a kick or come in with flying knees to create chaos to take clinch by taking the head and push it down in the clinch. You can predict what Charles will do as he does this EVERY fight. This is how he eventually wins each fight.

Islam will have to wait for the right moment and try not to fight Charles' fight and then eventually take him down and land in a fixed position on top of him.

If he is on top of Charles he will have to make sure Charles hips won’t move and when they do get back up Charles is exhausted.

That’s how I see the fight is going if Islam can weather the blitz.

The longer it goes on I think that Charles might get impatient and start gassing out if he can’t control the position from button. he usually uses his jiu jitsu to buy himself time with his legs. Islam won’t allow him to do that by controlling his hips. The beauty with Islam is he tends to grow stronger in fights and is a seriously underrated submission specialist.

Man, such an intriguing fight, as a huge fan of Khabib and all his guys to say I'm nervous is an understatement.

Best card in a long long time.

Islam and Charles pretty much speaks for itself. Such an intriguing matchup.
I really hope Islam can win. He needs to be very careful attempting a single leg or double leg.
If he goes for it without setting it up, Charles can wrap around that neck and pull him into guard with a guillotine.

Islam needs to get up close and clinch and use his Judo to get Charles down. Once down he needs to wrap his legs sorta like Khabib does and get his head under the chin of Charles to prevent any elbows from Charles off of his back.

Secondly, I hope Sean can pull this off against Yan. Yan is a great fighter but coming off of a loss to Aljo, his confidence will not be 100%.

I don’t see a way for BD to beat Gamrot. Gamrot is so so good.

I hope Belal can beat Sean Brady but it’ll be tough with his wrestling. Although, after training with Khabib and his team for this camp, belal will never be more ready for wrestling.

Looks to be a great night of fights fellas!

Islam Makachev rightly put Charles Oliveria in his place. Was overrated for far too long and it was so good to see him get destroyed without even putting up a fight.

UFC 280: Islam Makhachev submits Charles Oliveira to win lightweight title

Islam Makhachev masterfully submitted Charles Oliveira to win the lightweight title at UFC 280 in Abu Dhabi.

Russian Makhachev, 31, finished Brazil's former champion Oliveira with an arm triangle in the second round after dominating throughout.

In winning the title, Makhachev follows the achievement of his coach and former champion Khabib Nurmagomedov.

Nurmagomedov, who retired in 2020, was joyous as he embraced Makhachev in the post-fight celebrations.

Makhachev was joined in the octagon by featherweight champion Alexander Volkanovski after the fight, who UFC president Dana White says is next in line to compete for the lightweight title.

In the co-main event, Aljamain Sterling stopped TJ Dillashaw in the second round to retain his bantamweight title.

Sterling controlled the fight throughout against former champion Dillashaw, who dislocated his shoulder in the first round but bravely fought on, before ending the fight with ground strikes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/mixed-martial-arts/63360473

Islam Makachev rightly put Charles Oliveria in his place. Was overrated for far too long and it was so good to see him get destroyed without even putting up a fight.

Don’t think he’s overrated at all. He didn’t dominate, but edged out the likes of Poirer, Gaetje, Chandler because he is well versed in grappling and striking. Those 3 are the cream of the crop of LW.

Maybe once is a fluke, but three times is no fluke, regardless of him barely winning them.

Makhachaev is just a better striker and grappler overall. Charles is still #2 of what is an insanely packed division.

Don’t think he’s overrated at all. He didn’t dominate, but edged out the likes of Poirer, Gaetje, Chandler because he is well versed in grappling and striking. Those 3 are the cream of the crop of LW.

Maybe once is a fluke, but three times is no fluke, regardless of him barely winning them.

Makhachaev is just a better striker and grappler overall. Charles is still #2 of what is an insanely packed division.

When I say that Oliveira was overrated, I don’t mean to say that he isn’t #2 of a great bunch of fighters.

I just don’t think he’s as great as some people make him out to be. I recall people calling him the GOAT leading up to this fight and what not when frankly, he can’t even come close to beating a peak McGregor, a retired Khabib and as we just saw, Makachev.

When I say that Oliveira was overrated, I don’t mean to say that he isn’t #2 of a great bunch of fighters.

I just don’t think he’s as great as some people make him out to be. I recall people calling him the GOAT leading up to this fight and what not when frankly, he can’t even come close to beating a peak McGregor, a retired Khabib and as we just saw, Makachev.

Spot on .

Charles is a warrior , brilliant BJJ & a great striker . His victories since becoming champion have been phenomenal but in sport you are only as good as the opponents you face . This is even more relevant in MMA.

Islam was never in trouble, almost total control. After knocking down Charles , he finished him like Charles was some amateur! This is the brilliance of Dagestanis!

Incredible evening of mma in Abu Dhabi!

Meanwhile Khamzat kicks off with Khabibs cousin. lol

Pakistani fighter Asim Khan defeats Indian fighter Hevish Reddy: Mixed Martial arts

Pakistani fighter Asim Khan defeated Indian fighter Hevish Reddy in the first round of the Mixed Martial Arts Championship and also won the title of the fastest finisher.

Pakistani fighter Asim Khan made a great debut in the MMA Championship, in his first fight Asim Khan defeated Indian fighter Pratik Sadashiv. Pakistan’s Shahzeb successfully defended his title in the Asian Pacific MMA Championship.

Pakistan’s well-known mixed martial arts player Shahzeb retained his Asian title by defeating his Indian rival Prateek Sadashiv in the ongoing championship.

https://mmnews.tv/pakistani-fighters-asim-khan-and-shahzebs-winning-entry-in-mma-championship/

^ Ive said this before MMA could be a huge sport in Pakistan. It doesnt require a lot of equipment or funding.

Pakistan also have a huge wrestling culture and the best art of martial arts is wrestling.

Congrats to the Pak fighter, seems a great win.

^ Indian promotions will now ban future Pak MMA figthers.

Would like to watch this fight, will search for it. :)

He definitely isn’t GOAT level, if that’s what you read then yes those were some delusional opinions of others on Charles.

At the same time I think Makachev was mad underrated. A lot of people said he hadn’t “earned” the right to face Charles yet which is ridiculous.

UFC 286 will take place at London's O2 Arena on 18 March, the MMA promotion has confirmed.

The show will be the organisation's first numbered event to take place in Britain since 2016 and only the second in history.

It will also be the UFC's third show in London inside 12 months following events in March and July.

It is speculated Britain's Leon Edwards will defend his welterweight title against Kamaru Usman in the main event.

Edwards, 31, stunned Usman in a rematch in August to become only the second British UFC champion in history.

Michael Bisping was the first when he beat Luke Rockhold for the middleweight title in 2016 before defending it against Dan Henderson in Manchester at UFC 204 a few months later - the last numbered event to take place in Britain.

Kamaru Usman may not be fit to face Leon Edwards in their mooted UFC welterweight title fight on 18 March in London, says Stephen Thompson.

Britain's Leon Edwards will defend his welterweight title in a trilogy bout against Kamaru Usman at UFC 286 in London on 18 March.

Fedor Emelianenko's distinguished 23-year career ended in defeat as Ryan Bader secured a first-round stoppage to retain his heavyweight title at Bellator 290 in Inglewood, California.

Britain's Michael 'Venom' Page will face Japanese welterweight Goiti Yamauchi at Bellator 292 in San Jose, California on 10 March.

On Paper one of the biggest fights in UFC history. Volk seems a great chap, mentally strong with good skills but this is a step too far for him imo

My prediction.

Islam submits Volk round 2 or 3 .

IslamVolk.jpg

Back