The UFC/MMA Thread

Yeah, she was savagely knocked out by the ferocious puncher Amanda Nunes. After losing to Holly Holms, Ronda Rousey is just not the same anymore; she has lost that aura of invincibility which scared her opponents before the fight had even begun and now she has found out that when she gets hit in the face or is hurt it's something which she doesn't respond to quiet well and goes into her shell. If she manages to overcome this mental barrier maybe she can be champion again

No combat fighter is ever the same after a heavy knockout.

Back to this.

Interesting to hear Bob Arum about the Ali exhibition as he was the promoter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMnkLMjTBJ0

No combat fighter is ever the same after a heavy knockout.

Back to this.

Interesting to hear Bob Arum about the Ali exhibition as he was the promoter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMnkLMjTBJ0

These guys ought to be salty when their palm is not in the golden pot, there is no skum that compares to these promoters. Arum only recently was entertaining the idea of Manny facing Conor:

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/05/bob-ar...-conor-mcgregor-floyd-mayweather-negotiations

Arum is also known to exploit his fighters, he has Manny in a slave contract at the moment and god knows what other leverage because you just know the man wants to be free. Were it not for Arum, Manny v Khan would have happened and he'd not have been screwed by the judges in his fight against Horn, on top of that Manny would have earned a lot more money over his career. Floyd bought out his contract with top rank, paid a million and it was only after getting out of that slave contract that he became the richest man not just in boxing but sport in general.

These guys ought to be salty when their palm is not in the golden pot, there is no skum that compares to these promoters. Arum only recently was entertaining the idea of Manny facing Conor:

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/05/bob-ar...-conor-mcgregor-floyd-mayweather-negotiations

Arum is also known to exploit his fighters, he has Manny in a slave contract at the moment and god knows what other leverage because you just know the man wants to be free. Were it not for Arum, Manny v Khan would have happened and he'd not have been screwed by the judges in his fight against Horn, on top of that Manny would have earned a lot more money over his career. Floyd bought out his contract with top rank, paid a million and it was only after getting out of that slave contract that he became the richest man not just in boxing but sport in general.

Agree Arum is the silent version of Don King, gets away with so much. Pure greed from these types of promoters. I have no idea why Manny stuck with and continues to do so for so long.

I had Holly winning despite the shocking lack of points deduction, I was so furious because Holly would have become the first multi weight UFC female world champion. UFC generally are a lot more transparent when it comes to the judging compared to boxing and it's one of things I've always loved in MMA so that seriously caught me off guard. Don't think we can get 0% corruption in any combat sport am afraid and with the retirement of Tate and semi-retirement of Rousey the roster has looked think at bantaweight so there's an argument to be made that the promoters are looking to a big bantamweight bout between Holly and Nunes eventually and Holly has returned there ironically.

JJ is a lot more sound technically, but what will be against him in this fight is his inactivity and a ? with regards to his mental state; I'd still have him as a favourite but DC is no mug at all, exceptional fighter. It's going to be a great fight.

Yar I am a big fan of holms. She is one of the best female strikers i have seen and i have been following female mma since strikeforce days. I was so sore after her loss , she was going upwards but after that fight she has had to work hard again back from zero. I wanna see her as bantamweight champion.

Regarding the JJ vs DC fight, the reason i favor DC is because he is very good plus JJ has had a long period of inactivity and will be rusty. But wouldn't rule him out completely cos anything can happen in MMA.

I remember there was this heavyweight guy 6 years back called Shane carwin and he was so good especially in KO's that they started calling him baddest man on the planet. I myself started copying his beard style at the time. He was interim HW champion and then he had a big match with brock lesnar for the HW championship. Lesnar had not fought over a year after ufc 100 due to some serious medical issues. and then he got shane carwin as his next contender. That was the worst thing that could happen to lesnar in that period of his career. I too was on carwin's side. Yet lesnar won the fight due to his cardio & mental toughness. To this day, i remember that bout because of the excitement before the match and during the match. It taught never to under-estimate anybody in MMA cause anyone can win even when heavily out-skilled provided they do the right things at the crucial time of the bout & capitalize on it like lesnar.

Yar I am a big fan of holms. She is one of the best female strikers i have seen and i have been following female mma since strikeforce days. I was so sore after her loss , she was going upwards but after that fight she has had to work hard again back from zero. I wanna see her as bantamweight champion.

Regarding the JJ vs DC fight, the reason i favor DC is because he is very good plus JJ has had a long period of inactivity and will be rusty. But wouldn't rule him out completely cos anything can happen in MMA.

I remember there was this heavyweight guy 6 years back called Shane carwin and he was so good especially in KO's that they started calling him baddest man on the planet. I myself started copying his beard style at the time. He was interim HW champion and then he had a big match with brock lesnar for the HW championship. Lesnar had not fought over a year after ufc 100 due to some serious medical issues. and then he got shane carwin as his next contender. That was the worst thing that could happen to lesnar in that period of his career. I too was on carwin's side. Yet lesnar won the fight due to his cardio & mental toughness. To this day, i remember that bout because of the excitement before the match and during the match. It taught never to under-estimate anybody in MMA cause anyone can win even when heavily out-skilled provided they do the right things at the crucial time of the bout & capitalize on it like lesnar.

That inactivity is defo a big factor but look double J had a longer lay off before the Saint Preux fight and while he didn't get the stoppage he won a big decision, if there was an instance where DC manages to defeat JJ I think it will be on this night otherwise I don't see it happening; JJ is just too sound technically, DC is one of the best fighters in UFC history but it's his unfortunate luck that arguably the greatest MMA fighter ever happens to campaign in his division.

DC is an Olympic wrestler who was out manoeuvred by JJ in that department during their first encounter as well and his best chance is to take the fight to the ground, but it's so hard to keep JJ there. The other problem for DC is he is too one dimensional and linear in his movement, JJ can easily out work such an opponent with his unorthodox striking and get maximum benefit out of his reach. They are saying that DC has put a big focus on his striking on this fight but JJ has been hit by bigger punchers in the past and his chin has stood up. But, if DC manages to cut off JJ off, continuously apply pressure for the duration of the fight he may stand a chance; but also remember he is no spring chicken himself at nearly 40 yeas of age I think.

And same here bro am a huge Holms fan, besides Ronda she was one of my first exposures to the womens division in the UFC because I had been acquainted with her Boxing career. Was absolutely gutted, that same cheat who hit her after the bell with blows which would have knocked fighters out vacated her title rather then facing Cyborg; I really wanted Holly to be the first 2 weight world champion. Do you think she can defeat Nunes ?

Lesnar had diverticulitis, it makes his achievements even more unreal because the man wasn't 100%. And I do agree with you on that part with regards to mental toughness and capitalising on those key moments in a fight so am not writing DC off at all and in fact it would not surprise me if he pulls off an upset because he is an extremely talented fighter.

I remember when Amir Khan had the spotlight on him from day one in his pro career and destined for big things, then he was KO'd in round 1 within 60 seconds by a Cuban dude named Prescott everyone wrote him off but a year later he was world champion; then when he became world champion the chinny label was still there, I saw his biggest weakness as defensive lapses but bought into the popular view and completely wrote him off in his world title fight against ferocious puncher marcos maidana, Khan almost KO'd him in round 1 with a savage body shot but maidana was saved by the bell and then on pure guts, heart and determination Khan some how managed to survive a savage beating in round 10 before going on to win on points. I wouldn't mind DC winning and to b honest I want it to happen as well, it would be great for the LHW division and create super duper hype for their 3rd fight, plus UFC needs these two with Rousey gone and Mcgregor pretty much edging towards retirement given the big pay day he will receive in the floyd fight, so they'll be banking on JJ to be that next big PPV star for them and a fight with Lesnar also ought to be a big step being taken in that direction

That inactivity is defo a big factor but look double J had a longer lay off before the Saint Preux fight and while he didn't get the stoppage he won a big decision, if there was an instance where DC manages to defeat JJ I think it will be on this night otherwise I don't see it happening; JJ is just too sound technically, DC is one of the best fighters in UFC history but it's his unfortunate luck that arguably the greatest MMA fighter ever happens to campaign in his division.

DC is an Olympic wrestler who was out manoeuvred by JJ in that department during their first encounter as well and his best chance is to take the fight to the ground, but it's so hard to keep JJ there. The other problem for DC is he is too one dimensional and linear in his movement, JJ can easily out work such an opponent with his unorthodox striking and get maximum benefit out of his reach. They are saying that DC has put a big focus on his striking on this fight but JJ has been hit by bigger punchers in the past and his chin has stood up. But, if DC manages to cut off JJ off, continuously apply pressure for the duration of the fight he may stand a chance; but also remember he is no spring chicken himself at nearly 40 yeas of age I think.

And same here bro am a huge Holms fan, besides Ronda she was one of my first exposures to the womens division in the UFC because I had been acquainted with her Boxing career. Was absolutely gutted, that same cheat who hit her after the bell with blows which would have knocked fighters out vacated her title rather then facing Cyborg; I really wanted Holly to be the first 2 weight world champion. Do you think she can defeat Nunes ?

Lesnar had diverticulitis, it makes his achievements even more unreal because the man wasn't 100%. And I do agree with you on that part with regards to mental toughness and capitalising on those key moments in a fight so am not writing DC off at all and in fact it would not surprise me if he pulls off an upset because he is an extremely talented fighter.

I remember when Amir Khan had the spotlight on him from day one in his pro career and destined for big things, then he was KO'd in round 1 within 60 seconds by a Cuban dude named Prescott everyone wrote him off but a year later he was world champion; then when he became world champion the chinny label was still there, I saw his biggest weakness as defensive lapses but bought into the popular view and completely wrote him off in his world title fight against ferocious puncher marcos maidana, Khan almost KO'd him in round 1 with a savage body shot but maidana was saved by the bell and then on pure guts, heart and determination Khan some how managed to survive a savage beating in round 10 before going on to win on points. I wouldn't mind DC winning and to b honest I want it to happen as well, it would be great for the LHW division and create super duper hype for their 3rd fight, plus UFC needs these two with Rousey gone and Mcgregor pretty much edging towards retirement given the big pay day he will receive in the floyd fight, so they'll be banking on JJ to be that next big PPV star for them and a fight with Lesnar also ought to be a big step being taken in that direction

Agreed with every word and yeah i back holms to knock out nunnes.

Just a random question. What got you into female MMA? Me, i was hooked when i saw Gina Carano in Strikeforce. She was pretty but also very tough. Was devastated when she lost to cyborg. Cyborg also made me a fan in her early days

Agreed with every word and yeah i back holms to knock out nunnes.

Just a random question. What got you into female MMA? Me, i was hooked when i saw Gina Carano in Strikeforce. She was pretty but also very tough. Was devastated when she lost to cyborg. Cyborg also made me a fan in her early days

I was a fan of Gina Carano to and was gutted when she wasn't casted as WonderWoman she was heavily rumoured for that role but it went to Gal Gadot; besides her I vaguely followed the Tate v Rousey feud in Stike Force which deserves credit for that spark when it came to female MMA. But then I began to follow the batamweight division more closely in UFC when Rousey was taking out fighters within seconds and doing amazing numbers in the process, it made for a great spectacle.

I loved Rousey but was always a Tate guy and when she made the switch to the UFC the Rousey fight was inevitable, Tate was the only fighter during that period who never let Rousey's aura of invincibilty consume her and gave her a tough fight every time; if the two fought now I think Tate would win. Holly made the outrageous decision of making her first defence against Tate! she gave up a potential 1 million pay day down the line and it was a tough fight to go into, I was sad she lost but so happy for Tate who's hard work paid off. I really think she switched of mentally vs Nunes because once she had won the world title, there was nothing left to achieve for a woman who had been in the game a long time but I give Nunes a lot of credit for the scary power.

In the backdrop of these ladies have closely followed Joanna Champion who I wouldn't step in the Octogan with even if I had a gun!!!

So the women I credit for getting me interested:

Carano
Joanna
Holly
Rousey
Tate
Holly

Current favourites:
Joanna
Holly Holms
Paige Van Zant :ksi (she needs to be away from all the spotlight for a long time and just focus on her MMA career)

I was a fan of Gina Carano to and was gutted when she wasn't casted as WonderWoman she was heavily rumoured for that role but it went to Gal Gadot; besides her I vaguely followed the Tate v Rousey feud in Stike Force which deserves credit for that spark when it came to female MMA. But then I began to follow the batamweight division more closely in UFC when Rousey was taking out fighters within seconds and doing amazing numbers in the process, it made for a great spectacle.

I loved Rousey but was always a Tate guy and when she made the switch to the UFC the Rousey fight was inevitable, Tate was the only fighter during that period who never let Rousey's aura of invincibilty consume her and gave her a tough fight every time; if the two fought now I think Tate would win. Holly made the outrageous decision of making her first defence against Tate! she gave up a potential 1 million pay day down the line and it was a tough fight to go into, I was sad she lost but so happy for Tate who's hard work paid off. I really think she switched of mentally vs Nunes because once she had won the world title, there was nothing left to achieve for a woman who had been in the game a long time but I give Nunes a lot of credit for the scary power.

In the backdrop of these ladies have closely followed Joanna Champion who I wouldn't step in the Octogan with even if I had a gun!!!

Carano
Joanna
Holly
Rousey
Tate
Holly

Current favourites:
Joanna
Holly Holms
Paige Van Zant :ksi (she needs to be away from all the spotlight for a long time and just focus on her MMA career)

How could i forget tate. One of the best fighter. Probably the best female chin in MMA, could take ridiculous punishment and still stand her ground. I always supported her in her bouts against rousey. But i was happy for her to win the belt against holms. She deserved it since a long time

And yeah my current favorite ufc fight of the year was by Joana champion where she just counter-punched jessica andrade throughout the 5 rounds. Her leg kicks were brutal and her striking was so awesome. Man, ufc's women division are so stacked with quality fights. Let us see how cyborg's new challenger fares against her. Am so excited

And yeah my current favorite ufc fight of the year was by Joana champion where she just counter-punched jessica andrade throughout the 5 rounds. Her leg kicks were brutal and her striking was so awesome. Man, ufc's women division are so stacked with quality fights. Let us see how cyborg's new challenger fares against her. Am so excited

The biggest concern I had was that she can be overly aggressive, her performance against Evinger last night was her most sound from a technical stand point; she gave a lot of respect to Evingers wrestling ability and rightly so; the patience paid of and in the end she finished her off in brutal fashion. Have immense respect for Evinger, she took on Cyborg on short notice and didn't even have a full training camp behind her yet she fought like a world champion being the current invicta bantaweight champion; she was also moving up in weight and you'd have though at the very least she'd get finished the moment she got caught clean but man her chin and toughness were incredible. You got to respect Evinger even more so when you have cowardly world champions get handed a belt thanks to shady reffing and judging before deciding to vacate their belt then face Cyborg, I think Evinger will have done the division a world of good because perhaps her showing will encourage more fighters to take on Cyborg on the newly formed Featherweight womens division.

Anyhow excellent performance from Cyborg and P4P has been amongst the best in female MMA for a long time alongside Joanna.

Jones expectedly got the win over DC, didn't expect him to Knock him out but he finished him off in sensational fashion; he repeatedly attacked the body kicks and strikes, that lowered DC's hands and eventually left him open for that kick which caught him flush after he moved towards the left after a feint from Jones. DC looked even better then he did in the first fight ! I had him win the first 2 rounds but at the back of my mind felt that 3rd round would be so important because Jones always finds a way to adjust, both are all time greats and Jones proved once again that making a case for him as the best ever isn't far off.

Jones called out Lesnar at the end as well, interesting fight I'd love to see it! even though I know Jones would be an overwhelming favourite despite the huge weight advantage Brock would have.

The biggest concern I had was that she can be overly aggressive, her performance against Evinger last night was her most sound from a technical stand point; she gave a lot of respect to Evingers wrestling ability and rightly so; the patience paid of and in the end she finished her off in brutal fashion. Have immense respect for Evinger, she took on Cyborg on short notice and didn't even have a full training camp behind her yet she fought like a world champion being the current invicta bantaweight champion; she was also moving up in weight and you'd have though at the very least she'd get finished the moment she got caught clean but man her chin and toughness were incredible. You got to respect Evinger even more so when you have cowardly world champions get handed a belt thanks to shady reffing and judging before deciding to vacate their belt then face Cyborg, I think Evinger will have done the division a world of good because perhaps her showing will encourage more fighters to take on Cyborg on the newly formed Featherweight womens division.

Anyhow excellent performance from Cyborg and P4P has been amongst the best in female MMA for a long time alongside Joanna.

Jones expectedly got the win over DC, didn't expect him to Knock him out but he finished him off in sensational fashion; he repeatedly attacked the body kicks and strikes, that lowered DC's hands and eventually left him open for that kick which caught him flush after he moved towards the left after a feint from Jones. DC looked even better then he did in the first fight ! I had him win the first 2 rounds but at the back of my mind felt that 3rd round would be so important because Jones always finds a way to adjust, both are all time greats and Jones proved once again that making a case for him as the best ever isn't far off.

Jones called out Lesnar at the end as well, interesting fight I'd love to see it! even though I know Jones would be an overwhelming favourite despite the huge weight advantage Brock would have.

I feel so bad for DC though. Man he was starting to hit jones really well. Jones just set him up for a beautiful kick at the right time. Kudos to him for the win

I feel so bad for DC though. Man he was starting to hit jones really well. Jones just set him up for a beautiful kick at the right time. Kudos to him for the win

He was doing really well and then just got caught, feel for him he worked really hard. Thought it was uncalled for of Joe to interview him, think he was concussed as well. Dana may have put pressure on DC to do the interview and remain in the Octogan.

He was doing really well and then just got caught, feel for him he worked really hard. Thought it was uncalled for of Joe to interview him, think he was concussed as well. Dana may have put pressure on DC to do the interview and remain in the Octogan.

Yeah dana did pressure him. When rogan was interviewing jones, i could make his bald head saying something at the gate and making gestures with his hand. I guess he was telling dc's camp to get him in octagon for interview.

Great job from rogan though, he respected dc's position and didn't pressure him much though. All in all an excellent event.

All matchups were very good except the woodley vs maia fight. Boy did that test my nerves. I don't get frustrated in a technical fight in mma as i believe that fighters ahiuld be given time to execute their respective strategies especially when title is on the line but man that fight was crap.

It made me remember another title fight by maia which happened in abu dhabi in 2010 against anderson silva. These two have to be the worst title fights ever and both had maia in it.

Yeah dana did pressure him. When rogan was interviewing jones, i could make his bald head saying something at the gate and making gestures with his hand. I guess he was telling dc's camp to get him in octagon for interview.

Great job from rogan though, he respected dc's position and didn't pressure him much though. All in all an excellent event.

All matchups were very good except the woodley vs maia fight. Boy did that test my nerves. I don't get frustrated in a technical fight in mma as i believe that fighters ahiuld be given time to execute their respective strategies especially when title is on the line but man that fight was crap.

It made me remember another title fight by maia which happened in abu dhabi in 2010 against anderson silva. These two have to be the worst title fights ever and both had maia in it.

Yeah don't blame Rogan he was just forced to do his job it was Dana's fault to be honest, Rogan even offered an public apology to DC after the fight. I was a great card but given that am unable to watch the even live I tend to pre-select fights when I get hold of the replay so thankfully did not have to go through the woodley v maia horror show.

I think there's a big chance Jones v Lesnar will occur next year, good for Jones; honestly speaking outside DC there's not anyone in the LHW who can draw a huge number and he's a cut above the rest. Next big step would be to look for someone by moving up and there is no bigger name then Lesnar, his drawing power is up there with Mcgregor if not better and definetly better then Ronda Rousey now so UFC must be eager to put on a spectacle with Mcgregor working with Floyd and Rousey on the decline (am not really sure if she will be the same again) but I suppose there is always intrigue when it comes to a Rousey fight, I hope if she does make a return Dana is not thick enough to stick her in with a ferocious puncher from the word go after she suffered a devastating KO; it was madness booking your golden goose in a fight with Nunes.

I would have booked her with a Sara McMahon or someone, test the waters etc before throwing her in at the deep end again

If she ever comes back, i wanna see her fight cyborg. Both had similar aura. I remember when cyborg hit the scene back in 2009-2010 she had the same hype as ronda.

Never thought anybody could match that until ronda came along and owned everybody. However i am pretty disappointed in ronda. For all the trash stuff she used to say even when in strikeforce and talk about skills/physical superiority/toughness, all it took was two knockouts for her to be exposed and give up. As a former champ and olympian, this was the time when she should been resolute and worked even harder to prove she is the best. But she didn't. That is not how athletes react to defeats especially the elite ones.

This is why i respect tate. She took worse beatings and had more injuries than ronda has ever received but she never gave up. Mentally the toughest female fighter i have seen

If she ever comes back, i wanna see her fight cyborg. Both had similar aura. I remember when cyborg hit the scene back in 2009-2010 she had the same hype as ronda.

Never thought anybody could match that until ronda came along and owned everybody. However i am pretty disappointed in ronda. For all the trash stuff she used to say even when in strikeforce and talk about skills/physical superiority/toughness, all it took was two knockouts for her to be exposed and give up. As a former champ and olympian, this was the time when she should been resolute and worked even harder to prove she is the best. But she didn't. That is not how athletes react to defeats especially the elite ones.

This is why i respect tate. She took worse beatings and had more injuries than ronda has ever received but she never gave up. Mentally the toughest female fighter i have seen

I don't know if I want to see her face Cyborg now because Rousey is no longer at the elite level and the fight would end in a matter of minutes the other issue is weight, Cyborg kills herself just to make 145; going to 140 is impossible, it was one of the reasons she used PED's to drop the weight quick; then you had a lot of opposition use that as an excuse not to face her even when it made little sense even more recently. There are some disturbing videos online of Cyborg crying in a bathtub before weigh in trying to cut like 30lb in 2 days ! although I sympathise with her it's also important from her teams perspective to manage the weight cut better but I understand it's a challenge for someone who probably walks around at 160-165lb.

Miesha Tate I absolute love her, wrestlers tend to be so damn tough and were the timing right perhaps Tate would have won a gold medal in the Olympics because that's how good she is on the ground, am pretty sure she defeated Sarah who had a silver in wrestling at the olympics. And her chin is unreal, I have seen her take unreal punishment although it's a negative to because she doesn't move her head a lot but is happy to walk threw everything to take you down.

True, adversity measures a fighter; how you respond when the going gets tough, but I find it bizzare; this isn't the first time Rousey has been hit in the face right? she must have been hit quiet often in Strikeforce but in the Nunes fight she got caught once and after that she sought of just froze? as if to say what's going on, became a damn punching bag. The game plan was poor to, she's not a striker! she's a judoka! why trade with a striker! and on top of that your movement be it your feet or head was poor to. She can't just hunt fighters like a linear bull it's very on dimensional. From a technical stand point Ronda is very talented and there are many things which she can improve on but am not sure if her heart is in it especially when she gets hit, and if your heart is not there then the fight is over before it has begun.

Has Ronda ever been hit prior to the UFC to the point where you could say she was legit hurt but overcame it? Victor Ortiz has suffered from the same issue, so much damn talent; he has all the tools in the world and even a decent chin but when you put him on his back, he's like alright am done for the night. In Ronda's case she just completely freezes as if to say "where am I guys, why are you hitting me for?" I don't know what to say. I definitely respect Nunes power though and she put away the durable Miesha as well but in Miesha's case if my memory serves me correctly she didn't Freeze like Ronda and still attempted to get something out the fight? although I admit it seemed to me she had lost hunger/desire after having achieved her life long goal of becoming UFC world champion and after that loss not surprisingly announced her retirement.

So unless she gets back to the world level I don't want to see her Cyborg and also remember Ronda would have to agree to the 145lb weight limit.

I don't know if I want to see her face Cyborg now because Rousey is no longer at the elite level and the fight would end in a matter of minutes the other issue is weight, Cyborg kills herself just to make 145; going to 140 is impossible, it was one of the reasons she used PED's to drop the weight quick; then you had a lot of opposition use that as an excuse not to face her even when it made little sense even more recently. There are some disturbing videos online of Cyborg crying in a bathtub before weigh in trying to cut like 30lb in 2 days ! although I sympathise with her it's also important from her teams perspective to manage the weight cut better but I understand it's a challenge for someone who probably walks around at 160-165lb.

Miesha Tate I absolute love her, wrestlers tend to be so damn tough and were the timing right perhaps Tate would have won a gold medal in the Olympics because that's how good she is on the ground, am pretty sure she defeated Sarah who had a silver in wrestling at the olympics. And her chin is unreal, I have seen her take unreal punishment although it's a negative to because she doesn't move her head a lot but is happy to walk threw everything to take you down.

True, adversity measures a fighter; how you respond when the going gets tough, but I find it bizzare; this isn't the first time Rousey has been hit in the face right? she must have been hit quiet often in Strikeforce but in the Nunes fight she got caught once and after that she sought of just froze? as if to say what's going on, became a damn punching bag. The game plan was poor to, she's not a striker! she's a judoka! why trade with a striker! and on top of that your movement be it your feet or head was poor to. She can't just hunt fighters like a linear bull it's very on dimensional. From a technical stand point Ronda is very talented and there are many things which she can improve on but am not sure if her heart is in it especially when she gets hit, and if your heart is not there then the fight is over before it has begun.

Has Ronda ever been hit prior to the UFC to the point where you could say she was legit hurt but overcame it?
Victor Ortiz has suffered from the same issue, so much damn talent; he has all the tools in the world and even a decent chin but when you put him on his back, he's like alright am done for the night. In Ronda's case she just completely freezes as if to say "where am I guys, why are you hitting me for?" I don't know what to say. I definitely respect Nunes power though and she put away the durable Miesha as well but in Miesha's case if my memory serves me correctly she didn't Freeze like Ronda and still attempted to get something out the fight? although I admit it seemed to me she had lost hunger/desire after having achieved her life long goal of becoming UFC world champion and after that loss not surprisingly announced her retirement.

So unless she gets back to the world level I don't want to see her Cyborg and also remember Ronda would have to agree to the 145lb weight limit.

Not too much because her strategy was always to cut the distance and clinch fight. She though could trade heavy blows if she was in the mood as you can see in her early ufc wins but in strikeforce her game used to be more heavy on ground offense. I never saw anybody challenge her on the feet too much before holms did except miesha tate and even tate had to cope a lot of blows & judo flips in the process. Ronda was like an anaconda in that once she got a grip of your body, it would be impossible to dislodge her. A ronda fight was just two options, either you tap out or she breaks your arm and i have seen good wrestlers like tate & kaufman struggle to get up after ronda has had them on the ground.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jon Jones tests positive for steroids and is stripped of his UFC light-heavyweight title <a href="https://t.co/jSYcjVnpSZ">https://t.co/jSYcjVnpSZ</a></p>— Indy Sport (@IndySport) <a href="https://twitter.com/IndySport/status/900152656085123073">August 23, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Man i am so ****** at this guy. Just came here to post about the same thing.

His comeback was one of the best mma comeback stories and now he gets tested positive again

Lol damn I was looking forward to Lesnar vs Jones superfight, I guess that can still happen both are juiced to their eyes.. Pretty shame really when your top guys who are the face of your entire sports get caught for doing the sport gets a big hit.. Same happened with Tour de France and now UFC..

lol this is hilarious, he got caught again.

Looking forward to connor mcgregor getting embarrassed by mayweather this saturday

Man this is utterly embarrassing. It is almost as if in cricket sachin is caught doping in cricket, that is how good this jon jones is but he has gotta man up and take the responsibility for this.

He has ruined the legacy of the two all time great fighters in light heavyweight division in UFC right now. His own and Daniel cormier's.

Can't help but feel sorry for DC

DC will feel better because his defeat to JJ will be turned to a no contest now. The saving grace in all of this is that it will send a message that you simply can't get away with PED's, credit to the UFC's anti-doping programme ! I take my hat off to them. As for the JJ and his team what a damn shame, JJ should now come to the WWE and have steroid on a pole match with Broid Lesnar.

Did you see the video in that article of Khabib punching one of his fans :))) hilarious lmao Russian's are crazy.

And as for the remainder of the article don't know what to say, this is like Sugar Ray Robinson failing a Test. Jones is a repeat offender, we've been sympathetic towards him because of his talent; but the fact is once a PED taker, always a PED taker; it also doesn't reflect well on the MMA world either when a top guy not only taints his legacy but his sport to which people tend to look upon very judgmentally as it is

[MENTION=142288]TQ89[/MENTION] Legit question, how mentally disabled were JJ's team ? after everything that happened in the past I'd have thought they would do a better job making sure this would not happen. A sad truth is that majority of fighters take PED's but some are better at covering their tracks then others, perhaps his team and JJ decided to take certain substances but were convinced they covered their tracks well enough to avoid failing a Test. I can't believe that JJ and his team unknowingly took a substance which was on the list of prohibited substances.

DC will feel better because his defeat to JJ will be turned to a no contest now. The saving grace in all of this is that it will send a message that you simply can't get away with PED's, credit to the UFC's anti-doping programme ! I take my hat off to them. As for the JJ and his team what a damn shame, JJ should now come to the WWE and have steroid on a pole match with Broid Lesnar.

This is what americans are good at in sports despite all their other flaws. If this was a south asian sport and had south asian administrators, he would never be caught, would be forgiven next sunday and his fans would paint it as conspiracy theory and parade him in the streets like a hero. Hell he could even go to Ekta kapoor and make a dodgy film about his career in which he is portrayed as innocent as a child

[MENTION=142288]TQ89[/MENTION] Legit question, how mentally disabled were JJ's team ? after everything that happened in the past I'd have thought they would do a better job making sure this would not happen. A sad truth is that majority of fighters take PED's but some are better at covering their tracks then others, perhaps his team and JJ decided to take certain substances but were convinced they covered their tracks well enough to avoid failing a Test. I can't believe that JJ and his team unknowingly took a substance which was on the list of prohibited substances.

I don't know man. Literally this is a black spot for them too. So far they have refused to comment on this

I don't know man. Literally this is a black spot for them too. So far they have refused to comment on this

From the UFC's perspective, Conor will need to put on a good show more then ever this Saturday; it will overlap the negative P.R

Conor will most likely retire soon enough or continue fighting as a boxer given the potential to earn bigger pay days.

No Ronda Rousey

No Jon Jones

Wow, UFC are in serious trouble with regards to a lack of depth when it comes to drawing power; need to create new stars asap and not belittle the opportunities of deserving talent like khabib at the expense of short term thrills because they'd find themselves in the current situation which is not ideal.

Jones reportedly failed this test for the anabolic steroid turinabol, though that has yet to be confirmed. Should the prove true, turinabol carries with it a two year suspension though Jones’ previous failures mean he could face up to four years away from the sport. [MENTION=47617]Red Devil[/MENTION]

And that is just the USADA punishment. White suggested the UFC may impose a separate punishment on Jones, depending how the situation plays out.

Jones reportedly failed this test for the anabolic steroid turinabol, though that has yet to be confirmed. Should the prove true, turinabol carries with it a two year suspension though Jones’ previous failures mean he could face up to four years away from the sport. [MENTION=47617]Red Devil[/MENTION]

And that is just the USADA punishment. White suggested the UFC may impose a separate punishment on Jones, depending how the situation plays out.

So his career is possibly over? What a shame really, could have gone down as the undisputed greatest of all time.

He's a big pro wrestling fan, I can see him crossing over if he gets a lengthy ban.

So his career is possibly over? What a shame really, could have gone down as the undisputed greatest of all time.

He's a big pro wrestling fan, I can see him crossing over if he gets a lengthy ban.

If he attempts a comeback he'd be around 33-34 and lost his prime pretty much, I didn't know he was a wrestling fan? Vince could position him to replace Lesnar who's coming towards the end of his run with the company

Conor will most likely retire soon enough or continue fighting as a boxer given the potential to earn bigger pay days.

No Ronda Rousey

No Jon Jones

Wow, UFC are in serious trouble with regards to a lack of depth when it comes to drawing power; need to create new stars asap and not belittle the opportunities of deserving talent like khabib at the expense of short term thrills because they'd find themselves in the current situation which is not ideal.

The only legit draw they right now have is Joanna champion. Tyrone woodley was supposed to be one also but he has done himself no favors by fighting boring matches and Dana is notorious for not rewarding boring fighters no matter how good they are. He after all has a business to run

The only legit draw they right now have is Joanna champion. Tyrone woodley was supposed to be one also but he has done himself no favors by fighting boring matches and Dana is notorious for not rewarding boring fighters no matter how good they are. He after all has a business to run

I agree, the womens division is so stacked full of quality and it's a draw in itself for the UFC; the likes of Holly, Cyborg, Joanna Champion, Nunes etc tend to be involved in exciting and intriguing match ups which ought to do 700K+ PPV buys on a high profile UFC event. As far as the guys are concerned I don't know ? Jones was supposed to be their next mainstream star but he screwed up, there's potential with Khabib but he has issues making weight and Bisping / GSP are both too old. Woodley as you say does himself no favors either. Wow, who'd have thought it's the women keeping that flag up high

I agree, the womens division is so stacked full of quality and it's a draw in itself for the UFC; the likes of Holly, Cyborg, Joanna Champion, Nunes etc tend to be involved in exciting and intriguing match ups which ought to do 700K+ PPV buys on a high profile UFC event. As far as the guys are concerned I don't know ? Jones was supposed to be their next mainstream star but he screwed up, there's potential with Khabib but he has issues making weight and Bisping / GSP are both too old. Woodley as you say does himself no favors either. Wow, who'd have thought it's the women keeping that flag up high

Yeah there was a time when UFC thought they didn't need women's division because they had GOATS holding title belts in every division like GSP, BJ Penn, Lesnar, Anderson silva who is by they way my favorite UFC fighter. And now they have got to start over again in every men's division barring few.

Of course if connor continues his MMA career after his boxing match , he will make things easy for dana otherwise I see a lot of work for the ufc management in terms of finding elite talent & then nurturing them.

Nunnes vs shevchenko part 2 coming up next saturday. Your predictions [MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION]?

Nunnes vs shevchenko part 2 coming up next saturday. Your predictions [MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION]?

I expect her to get knocked out / submitted , there are also reports that Conor / Diaz 3 could occur in December. I think Conor will return to the UFC an even better fighter, going through a Boxing training camp would have done his endurance and striking abilities a world of good. With UFC needing a big PPV bump in 2017 I can see the fight happening in December

[MENTION=142288]TQ89[/MENTION] I also think am in love with Paige Van Zant :ksi when is she fighting next ?

[MENTION=142288]TQ89[/MENTION] I also think am in love with Paige Van Zant :ksi when is she fighting next ?

Hahaha lot of guys like her. I think she is talented and if spent time, can be contender for title matchup with joanna in future. But she's has got a bit distracted because of her outside the octagon activities. It is good for her financially doing all the reality shows and earning dollars through a less risky approach.

However she needs to put her head back in the game and schedule a fight this year. Realistically, I don't see it happening soon as she is not eager to push for a fight plus is outside the top 10 of women's strawweight division.

I expect her to get knocked out / submitted , there are also reports that Conor / Diaz 3 could occur in December. I think Conor will return to the UFC an even better fighter, going through a Boxing training camp would have done his endurance and striking abilities a world of good. With UFC needing a big PPV bump in 2017 I can see the fight happening in December

Yeah after the Jon jones screwup, Ufc will definitely prioritise this december event to be stacked with draw fighters.

Hahaha lot of guys like her. I think she is talented and if spent time, can be contender for title matchup with joanna in future. But she's has got a bit distracted because of her outside the octagon activities. It is good for her financially doing all the reality shows and earning dollars through a less risky approach.

However she needs to put her head back in the game and schedule a fight this year. Realistically, I don't see it happening soon as she is not eager to push for a fight plus is outside the top 10 of women's strawweight division.

Yeah after the Jon jones screwup, Ufc will definitely prioritise this december event to be stacked with draw fighters.

In 2017 the UFC have been doing the following numbers:

UFC 208: 200K buys
UFC 209: 250-300k buys
UFC 210: 300k
UFC 211: 300k buys
UFC 212: 200k buys (estimated)
UFC 213: 125-150k buys (estimated)
UFC 214: 860k buys

On the other hand in 2016 they crossed 1 million PPV buys 5 times and averaged 644k buys per PPV; it was a record breaking year and 2017 has not been strong with not even 1 PPV crossing a million which is why Dana wants to close 2017 with a high profile event. There have also been some whispers of various financial struggles which plague the promotion and concern with regards to having peaked with a decline looming but I think they have the resources to rebound in 2018. The publicity from the Floyd/Conor event would also have helped a fair amount, Dana needs to go all out securing the services of Conor in the long run and also doing his bit to build new draws; Jones is a huge loss :facepalm:

And yeah, I get that the publicity benefits paige and the UFC but she needs to focus 100% on her fighting career first and foremost, she has immense potential but needs to be more dedicated

Last edited:
In 2017 the UFC have been doing the following numbers:

UFC 208: 200K buys
UFC 209: 250-300k buys
UFC 210: 300k
UFC 211: 300k buys
UFC 212: 200k buys (estimated)
UFC 213: 125-150k buys (estimated)
UFC 214: 860k buys

On the other hand in 2016 they crossed 1 million PPV buys 5 times and averaged 644k buys per PPV; it was a record breaking year and 2017 has not been strong with not even 1 PPV crossing a million which is why Dana wants to close 2017 with a high profile event. There have also been some whispers of various financial struggles which plague the promotion and concern with regards to having peaked with a decline looming but I think they have the resources to rebound in 2018. The publicity from the Floyd/Conor event would also have helped a fair amount, Dana needs to go all out securing the services of Conor in the long run and also doing his bit to build new draws; Jones is a huge loss :facepalm:

And yeah, I get that the publicity benefits paige and the UFC but she needs to focus 100% on her fighting career first and foremost, she has immense potential but needs to be more dedicated

You gotta thank connor for that. He broke all PPV records in 2016. His absence in the octagon has now hurt UFC which is why i am very optimistic dana will get him and nate diaz for match in december

You gotta thank connor for that. He broke all PPV records in 2016. His absence in the octagon has now hurt UFC which is why i am very optimistic dana will get him and nate diaz for match in december

The women did a great number at UFC 200 as well although that PPV was also helped by the booking of Brock Lesnar, if only Ronda could find a way to come back :facepalm: but it seems the game could not be for her, although it was moronic to match her with Nunes in her comeback. It was like stepping in the ring with Mike Tyson right after being systematically broken by Ali

[MENTION=142288]TQ89[/MENTION] I am most excited for Joanna Champion vs Rose Namajunas at UFC 217, Joanna has ran through the entire division best names with Claudia giving her some tough fights but outside the names she has already beaten Rose is the last one amongst the elite whom she is yet to beat, she's one real tough cookie and I expect one hell of a fight. Rose is beyond her years when you look at the level of inexperience just 9 fights and only 25 years of age. Has also been unbeaten since 2015 outside that loss to Karolina on points which could have gone either way, was a close and competitive fight. More excited for this then GSP / Bisping and the Nunes fights.

Am also reading reports Diaz wants 20 million for a trilogy with Conor :))

If Joanna defeats Rose she should be rated no.1 amongst the P4P fighters male or female.

News from back in May this year but worth pointing out that the UFC confirms a 125 pound women’s flyweight division which is fantastic ! first champ to be crowned on the The Ultimate Fighter 26.

Paige Van Zant recently said she had been killing herself to make 115lb so she will be moving up to flyweight, think it would be a good move for her career at this stage; she will challenge Jessica Eye at UFC 216 in her debut at 125lb.

[MENTION=142288]TQ89[/MENTION] I am most excited for Joanna Champion vs Rose Namajunas at UFC 217, Joanna has ran through the entire division best names with Claudia giving her some tough fights but outside the names she has already beaten Rose is the last one amongst the elite whom she is yet to beat, she's one real tough cookie and I expect one hell of a fight. Rose is beyond her years when you look at the level of inexperience just 9 fights and only 25 years of age. Has also been unbeaten since 2015 outside that loss to Karolina on points which could have gone either way, was a close and competitive fight. More excited for this then GSP / Bisping and the Nunes fights.

Dana said Conor will only fight Khabib
Also, Conor wants this fight at 155 which is not suited for Diaz

Dana said Conor will only fight Khabib
Also, Conor wants this fight at 155 which is not suited for Diaz

Regardless of who his opponent is, one thing is certain; Conor will be fighting in december. Dana would want to give khabib the shot but will be concerned with regards to him making weight.

For the right money fighters would cut an arm to make a weight limit but 155 is overly tough on Diaz when he probably walks around at 185-195. I can see a catchweight bout being agreed upon. Anyhow Conor is a big draw in itself, match him with a top 10 ranked fighter and he will get you a big ppv bump so dana will not be too upset if the diaz trilogy does not happen

Hell yes. Joanna and Holms are my current favorite fighters in UFC. Joanna's earlier fight with jessica andrade was an excellent one.

Not excited for GSP/Bisping fight because i dont think GSP can fight like he used to plus bisping has been real sharp since the middleweight top guns faded out like GSP, Henderson etc. I predict KO victory for Bisping over GSP.

Diaz brother's amaze me. As intelligent as they are in the octagon, they make really stupid comments on the outside

Regardless of who his opponent is, one thing is certain; Conor will be fighting in december. Dana would want to give khabib the shot but will be concerned with regards to him making weight.

For the right money fighters would cut an arm to make a weight limit but 155 is overly tough on Diaz when he probably walks around at 185-195. I can see a catchweight bout being agreed upon. Anyhow Conor is a big draw in itself, match him with a top 10 ranked fighter and he will get you a big ppv bump so dana will not be too upset if the diaz trilogy does not happen

Conor has demanded that if trilogy ever happens, it be at 155. He lost at 170. He made sure to fight again at 170 so that Diaz doesn't complain. Now he wants it to be 155.

Also Diaz has too many losses to his name. 155 will mean a sure loss again.

Khabib needs to guarantee that he will make the weight come December. I can see a lot of Russians supporting Khabib. Plus the 24-0 will be a big draw.

Conor has demanded that if trilogy ever happens, it be at 155. He lost at 170. He made sure to fight again at 170 so that Diaz doesn't complain. Now he wants it to be 155.

Also Diaz has too many losses to his name. 155 will mean a sure loss again.

Khabib needs to guarantee that he will make the weight come December. I can see a lot of Russians supporting Khabib. Plus the 24-0 will be a big draw.

Diaz won't make 155 and it's moronic to expect that, am not sure if people can comprehend how tough it is to drop down compared to moving up. Conor had life/death with Diaz in his last fight and many felt he lost as well, demanding he fight at 155 is just another way to say I don't want to face Diaz for a third time. But with fights like these with so much money to be made there's always a potential for a middle ground, e.g a catch weight if there is genuine interest to fight.

Khabib team botched his weight cut the last time round and he naturally fights at 155, just think how much of a challenge it would be for a guy that walks around at 200lb to drop down to 155; they'd have to kill themselves trying it and it would be very dangerous and on fight night most likely would be drained to; who wants to see a fight like that where the opponent is completely handicapped because like you say it's a guaranteed win for Conor due to an unethical stipulation.

I hope Khabib does get the shot and makes weight to, it's the biggest fight possible outside Dias for Conor.

Hell yes. Joanna and Holms are my current favorite fighters in UFC. Joanna's earlier fight with jessica andrade was an excellent one.

Not excited for GSP/Bisping fight because i dont think GSP can fight like he used to plus bisping has been real sharp since the middleweight top guns faded out like GSP, Henderson etc. I predict KO victory for Bisping over GSP.

Diaz brother's amaze me. As intelligent as they are in the octagon, they make really stupid comments on the outside

There is also talk of Holms moving up to featherweight again to challenge Cyborg for the featherweight title, it has been offered to her. Recently she dropped back to bantamweight so am not sure what her goals and ambitions are but am still gutted she was robbed the last time she fought at FW because she would have made history

The next ufc 217 is gonna be good one. Ferguson vs lee plus wardum is also in that one

Carano
Joanna
Holly
Rousey
Tate
Holly

Current favourites:
Joanna
Holly Holms

She is making her return at ufc 217

News from back in May this year but worth pointing out that the UFC confirms a 125 pound women’s flyweight division which is fantastic ! first champ to be crowned on the The Ultimate Fighter 26.

Paige Van Zant recently said she had been killing herself to make 115lb so she will be moving up to flyweight, think it would be a good move for her career at this stage; she will challenge Jessica Eye at UFC 216 in her debut at 125lb.

[MENTION=142288]TQ89[/MENTION] She is moving up in weight, new division in the UFC. I thought the fight woupd be at 216 ? Anyhow look forward to the 217 event should be a great card, december isn't it? Also, how did you score Nunes fight recently

[MENTION=142288]TQ89[/MENTION] She is moving up in weight, new division in the UFC. I thought the fight woupd be at 216 ? Anyhow look forward to the 217 event should be a great card, december isn't it? Also, how did you score Nunes fight recently

To be honest with you. that was one fight where i didn't know who was winning each round. A lot of mma websites are giving the final round to nunnes because she had two takedowns but still she didn't do any damage to Shevchecko. Shevchenko on the other hand outpunched nunnes with significant strikes to the head but threw less strikes than overall. Confusing as hell to score

And because it was boring and both fighters weren't eager to engage the other, i don't see Dana eager for a third fight between the two.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The end of Jon Jones' <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/UFC?src=hash">#UFC</a> career?<br><br>A confirmed failed drugs test from <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/UFC214?src=hash">#UFC214</a> could mean a hefty suspension <a href="https://t.co/46K9dYkPIX">https://t.co/46K9dYkPIX</a> <a href="https://t.co/hH7YmbYpU0">pic.twitter.com/hH7YmbYpU0</a></p>— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) <a href="https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/907982221004365829">September 13, 2017</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The end of Jon Jones' <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/UFC?src=hash">#UFC</a> career?<br><br>A confirmed failed drugs test from <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/UFC214?src=hash">#UFC214</a> could mean a hefty suspension <a href="https://t.co/46K9dYkPIX">https://t.co/46K9dYkPIX</a> <a href="https://t.co/hH7YmbYpU0">pic.twitter.com/hH7YmbYpU0</a></p>— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) <a href="https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/907982221004365829">September 13, 2017</a></blockquote>

He will be back but he'd have lost the prime years of his career unfortunately, such a damn shame but he and his team only got themselves to blame

Honestly i have not been this disappointed in any athlete that i have seen in my lifetime. Tyson and maradona are prime examples but i didn't see them in their lifetime although i am sure they caused equal amount of grief to their respective sports fans.

Folks who dont watch MMA don't know how good he was. He wasn't some guy that was division champ. He was the greatest fighter and the most naturally talented fighter in the sport. Such a Damn shame where he ended up. DC summed my feelings perfectly in his interview to kenny florian that Jones had everything a fighter asks on his side. Age, Reach advantage and extremely well rounded game in grappling as well as striking. Why did he have to resort to this stuff? He has got no sympathy for me.

Honestly i have not been this disappointed in any athlete that i have seen in my lifetime. Tyson and maradona are prime examples but i didn't see them in their lifetime although i am sure they caused equal amount of grief to their respective sports fans.

Folks who dont watch MMA don't know how good he was. He wasn't some guy that was division champ. He was the greatest fighter and the most naturally talented fighter in the sport. Such a Damn shame where he ended up. DC summed my feelings perfectly in his interview to kenny florian that Jones had everything a fighter asks on his side. Age, Reach advantage and extremely well rounded game in grappling as well as striking. Why did he have to resort to this stuff? He has got no sympathy for me.

There's a lot more sympathy with Tyson though, he had one of the most unfortunate lives as a child growing up in the inner city but things would improve when Cus D'Amato took him under his wing, Tyson had literally no one on this earth and Cus was his only father figure. When he passed, Tyson fell off and began to be exploited by various managers and promoters; it all culminated in his conviction on the backdrop of evidence which would make the current case against Sharjeel seem like the most cohesive ever seen; then he returned and was never quiet the same, he deserves some blame to for his conduct but Tyson is also one of the most misunderstood people there has ever been and there tends to be a stereotype against him because of how ferocious he was in his prime and the fact that he was a fighter, people don't look at how this innocent youth was abused as a child, then was all alone and stricken by poverty; such individuals tend to make mistakes when it comes to trying to survive but at the same time he loved Cus and especially his pigeons :yk, when some aim/direction came into his life he was incredibly dedicated and relentless in his pursuit of his goal of becoming the HW champ, during this time we saw nothing but excellence from Tyson in and out of the ring. I hope the new biopic will change people's perceptions of him because they don't know his story, despite his troubles Tyson still did enough during his career to be rated as an ATG HW while there was still potential which was left unfulfilled.

Jon Jones on the other hand has repeatedly made the same mistake, his legacy is also tainted by his use of PED's; there is no fighter who is more complete and he has beaten the best at LHW and there is no doubt that he'd be rated as an ATG MMA fighter but these failed tests seriously put a big ? next to his resume and leave us a lot more unfulfilled then Tyson's career because there was so much more for Jones to be done when he was truly coming into his own. Plus the UFC could do with a star with his aura because there is no Rousey and Conor will be on his way out soon, it's all so disappointing.

Jones win over DC has now been overturned, DC has been reinstated as the world champion.

There's a lot more sympathy with Tyson though, he had one of the most unfortunate lives as a child growing up in the inner city but things would improve when Cus D'Amato took him under his wing, Tyson had literally no one on this earth and Cus was his only father figure. When he passed, Tyson fell off and began to be exploited by various managers and promoters; it all culminated in his conviction on the backdrop of evidence which would make the current case against Sharjeel seem like the most cohesive ever seen; then he returned and was never quiet the same, he deserves some blame to for his conduct but Tyson is also one of the most misunderstood people there has ever been and there tends to be a stereotype against him because of how ferocious he was in his prime and the fact that he was a fighter, people don't look at how this innocent youth was abused as a child, then was all alone and stricken by poverty; such individuals tend to make mistakes when it comes to trying to survive but at the same time he loved Cus and especially his pigeons :yk, when some aim/direction came into his life he was incredibly dedicated and relentless in his pursuit of his goal of becoming the HW champ, during this time we saw nothing but excellence from Tyson in and out of the ring. I hope the new biopic will change people's perceptions of him because they don't know his story, despite his troubles Tyson still did enough during his career to be rated as an ATG HW while there was still potential which was left unfulfilled.

Jon Jones on the other hand has repeatedly made the same mistake, his legacy is also tainted by his use of PED's; there is no fighter who is more complete and he has beaten the best at LHW and there is no doubt that he'd be rated as an ATG MMA fighter but these failed tests seriously put a big ? next to his resume and leave us a lot more unfulfilled then Tyson's career because there was so much more for Jones to be done when he was truly coming into his own. Plus the UFC could do with a star with his aura because there is no Rousey and Conor will be on his way out soon, it's all so disappointing.

Jones win over DC has now been overturned, DC has been reinstated as the world champion.

Tyson is my favorite boxer. I was introduced to him when he was enforcer at wrestlemania 1998. Later when i developed interest in boxing in 2008 after watching pacquaio fight. I started watching mohammad ali fights and then foreman and frazier as well.

Later I started sugar ray leonard, duran & marvin hagler fights. I also watched Larry holmes fights and consider him to be a tough champion and someone who is unfairly judged.

Then I started watching tyson and watched till buster douglas beat him. Mind you i loved to experience fights without knowing their results so i would always place my hand on win/loss section in wikipedia whenever i wanted to check any boxer or MMA fights. Watching fights this way gave me alot of joy and i experienced shock/jubilation like I was watching them live. Can you believe I was so slick in this that i didn't know that who won Ali vs Frazier 2 & Ali vs Frazier 3, Ali vs Foreman.

As soon as I would see any pic or description of result of fight, I would immediately scroll down and when i would watch Youtube Fights, i would restrain myself to not scroll down & read comments. When Ali stopped Frazier in Manila, I was as jubilated & entertained as the people in manilla were back in 1975. It heightened my joy of watching the sport.

Which brings me back to tyson. I didn't any of his fight after he lost to douglas. The only two or three i saw were against holyfield where he bit his ear and one when lennox lewis dismantled him in 2002. I will never forget the rush of watching tyson from 1986-1990. He was Flawless in offense as well as defense. the feels i got when i used to watch him, I did not even get those when i was watching Ali or Foreman. This guy was a monster.

In my mind that was the most complete boxer ever. Had he remained the same afterwards, he would have been not only the greatest boxer but perhaps the greatest athlete of the last century. I have never seen anybody that gifted. Till date when folks in US see a hard hitting dude, they call him the baddest man on planet. Iron mike was the man that invented that moniker.

It is because of mike tyson that I became a shane carwin fan before his loss to brock lesnar. Shane carwin used to have the same left hook to the body followed by vicious uppercut combo that tyson used to annihilate his opponents.

Of course my boxing knowledge is nowhere as good as yours and I am led by my emotions when i judge tyson the best since there have been many boxers since the 70's that have attained so much more success than him ( Floyd, Duran, leonard, Julio caesar and many others). But to this day I can't forget tyson in his peak & believe nobody was better than in history of combat sports than he was. That guy could have knocked out any heavyweight in history. That is the dude i wanted to be if i ever became a boxer.

My comparison of Jones with tyson was solely due to this reason even though I am well aware that tyson's troubles were more psychological. Both guys were complete fighters & freak athletes. They had extraordinary talent, the likes which other ATG's of their sports wished they had. I don't think I will ever get to see complete fighter like Jones in octagon ever again & complete boxer like the peak tyson. It makes me sad

Tyson is my favorite boxer. I was introduced to him when he was enforcer at wrestlemania 1998. Later when i developed interest in boxing in 2008 after watching pacquaio fight. I started watching mohammad ali fights and then foreman and frazier as well.

Later I started sugar ray leonard, duran & marvin hagler fights. I also watched Larry holmes fights and consider him to be a tough champion and someone who is unfairly judged.

Then I started watching tyson and watched till buster douglas beat him. Mind you i loved to experience fights without knowing their results so i would always place my hand on win/loss section in wikipedia whenever i wanted to check any boxer or MMA fights. Watching fights this way gave me alot of joy and i experienced shock/jubilation like I was watching them live. Can you believe I was so slick in this that i didn't know that who won Ali vs Frazier 2 & Ali vs Frazier 3, Ali vs Foreman.

As soon as I would see any pic or description of result of fight, I would immediately scroll down and when i would watch Youtube Fights, i would restrain myself to not scroll down & read comments. When Ali stopped Frazier in Manila, I was as jubilated & entertained as the people in manilla were back in 1975. It heightened my joy of watching the sport.

Which brings me back to tyson. I didn't any of his fight after he lost to douglas. The only two or three i saw were against holyfield where he bit his ear and one when lennox lewis dismantled him in 2002. I will never forget the rush of watching tyson from 1986-1990. He was Flawless in offense as well as defense. the feels i got when i used to watch him, I did not even get those when i was watching Ali or Foreman. This guy was a monster.

In my mind that was the most complete boxer ever. Had he remained the same afterwards, he would have been not only the greatest boxer but perhaps the greatest athlete of the last century. I have never seen anybody that gifted. Till date when folks in US see a hard hitting dude, they call him the baddest man on planet. Iron mike was the man that invented that moniker.

It is because of mike tyson that I became a shane carwin fan before his loss to brock lesnar. Shane carwin used to have the same left hook to the body followed by vicious uppercut combo that tyson used to annihilate his opponents.

Of course my boxing knowledge is nowhere as good as yours and I am led by my emotions when i judge tyson the best since there have been many boxers since the 70's that have attained so much more success than him ( Floyd, Duran, leonard, Julio caesar and many others). But to this day I can't forget tyson in his peak & believe nobody was better than in history of combat sports than he was. That guy could have knocked out any heavyweight in history. That is the dude i wanted to be if i ever became a boxer.

My comparison of Jones with tyson was solely due to this reason even though I am well aware that tyson's troubles were more psychological. Both guys were complete fighters & freak athletes. They had extraordinary talent, the likes which other ATG's of their sports wished they had. I don't think I will ever get to see complete fighter like Jones in octagon ever again & complete boxer like the peak tyson. It makes me sad

Really enjoyed reading your post bro, I can feel the passion you have for Tyson's incredible skill and I share it as well and totally agree with you. Many will also dispute the fact that I have him in my top 10 all time P4P list and I see where they're coming from but his career is often judged out of context, this is a post of mine from the floyd thread which was my attempt at summing up his career and a response to whether or not he'd beat Frazier:
Yeah many people don't realise that Ali had lost 3-4 years of his peak when he beat Foreman which is why that win is rated so highly, but from a purely performance and technical stand point he was at his best against Cleveland Williams.

Tyson's career was that of two phases, one under Cus D'amato and Kevin Rooney, then the second phase under... his own demons. Tyson at his peak was invincible despite being handicaped as a HW by his lack of height he made incredible use of Cus D'amato's peak a boo style which revolves around placing your hands in front of your face, improving your protection with the forearms in front of the face and the fist at nose-eye level whilst Tyson moved his head side to side, bobbing, weaving and blind siding his opponents with counters. During this period Tyson was invincible and undefeated then in 1988 (prior to the Douglas defeat) many of his problems outside the ring were starting to come to light, for one his marriage to Robin Givens was heading for divorce, he was abusing various substances, did not train properly and it all culminated in one of his greatest mistakes in allowing Don Satan King and Bill Bagarut Cayton to buy out his contract; these mentally inept fools were instrumental in getting Kevin Rooney fired who was instrumental in honing Tyson's craft and Peek-a-Boo style; when he was fired Tyson was no longer effective, he completely dropped the peek a boo style, there was zero head movement and he relied mostly on his freakish power to win fights because he never got into the ring with a proper training camp behind him or game plan, his only goal would be to make weight so he wouldn't lose his title on the scales and get paid. It all would culminate in that defeat to Douglas who should have been counted out in the 8th round were it not for incompetent reffing.

Then in the 90's the less said the better, the issues I point out in 1988 would be magnified x10 and he was past his prime anyway but given his raw talent, still managed to win the undisputed HW Championship. So 3 times out of 3 Frazier beats the Tyson from 1988 and 1990's, but at the very least 2 times out of 3 the Tyson from 85-87 beats Frazier in my opinion. Floyd Patterson also deserves a shout to when it comes to all time great HW's would easily make a top 20 HW list, he was another student of Cus's Peek-a-Boo style and remains the youngest undisputed HW champion in history.

Here is where it gets even weirder given how the Jones and Tyson comparisons are not too far apart, both were the youngest undisputed world champions in history ! and after claiming their first world title belt both made 8-9 defences of their title. Tyson is a once in a generation talent, will be a long time before we see another like him; the way he dispatched his opponents was unreal, his best win for me was over Michael Spinks who was rated no.1 in the P4P list and their encounter I believe at that time was the biggest and most lucrative, Tysons purse was 20 million ! that's is a big purse even in this era just imagine what that 20 million would be equivalent to in 2017, it still amazes me how he had to file for bankrupts, the senile folk who exploited him mostly got away, but more recently one of the fellas was successfully sued and has to pay out around a million to Tyson.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed reading your post bro, I can feel the passion you have for Tyson's incredible skill and I share it as well and totally agree with you. Many will also dispute the fact that I have him in my top 10 all time P4P list and I see where they're coming from but his career is often judged out of context, this is a post of mine from the floyd thread which was my attempt at summing up his career and a response to whether or not he'd beat Frazier:

Here is where it gets even weirder given how the Jones and Tyson comparisons are not too far apart, both were the youngest undisputed world champions in history ! and after claiming their first world title belt both made 8-9 defences of their title. Tyson is a once in a generation talent, will be a long time before we see another like him; the way he dispatched his opponents was unreal, his best win for me was over Michael Spinks who was rated no.1 in the P4P list and their encounter I believe at that time was the biggest and most lucrative, Tysons purse was 20 million ! that's is a big purse even in this era just imagine what that 20 million would be equivalent to in 2017, it still amazes me how he had to file for bankrupts, the senile folk who exploited him mostly got away, but more recently one of the fellas was successfully sued and has to pay out around a million to Tyson.

Joe rogan used to routinely remind everybody of this fact when Jones became champion. And regarding the banlruptcy thing, apart from floyd, i really have not seen a boxer who is doing well although my boxing knowledge is pretty limited. Some years back Evander holyfield also filed for bankruptcy and he was also a very highly paid fighter. Same goes for Riddick bowe, James tone. It makes me depressed. These are some of the aspects which turned me off boxing although i do watch when my current favorite fighters fight but other than that I hate the boxing sleazy promoters, they have destroyed so many boxer's life.

You know when i watched holmes vs Ali, I could not complete the whole fight. I could not bear to see Ali corner refuse to let him fight after several rounds of punishment. I still have not completed that fight & probably never will. I wanna remember Ali as the guy who fought all odds an could never be beat. This is what promoters did to arguably boxing's biggest draw & the guy who is considered the sportsperson of century. No wonder tyson was screwed & sucked dry by promoters

Joe rogan used to routinely remind everybody of this fact when Jones became champion. And regarding the banlruptcy thing, apart from floyd, i really have not seen a boxer who is doing well although my boxing knowledge is pretty limited. Some years back Evander holyfield also filed for bankruptcy and he was also a very highly paid fighter. Same goes for Riddick bowe, James tone. It makes me depressed. These are some of the aspects which turned me off boxing although i do watch when my current favorite fighters fight but other than that I hate the boxing sleazy promoters, they have destroyed so many boxer's life.

You know when i watched holmes vs Ali, I could not complete the whole fight. I could not bear to see Ali corner refuse to let him fight after several rounds of punishment. I still have not completed that fight & probably never will. I wanna remember Ali as the guy who fought all odds an could never be beat. This is what promoters did to arguably boxing's biggest draw & the guy who is considered the sportsperson of century. No wonder tyson was screwed & sucked dry by promoters

It's a big shame in that regard, Floyd learned from the experiences of fighters he looked up to and understood that it was better for him to put his own team together and self-promote his fights. During the 'pretty boy' years Floyd was a KO artist and multi weight world champion that was severely under paid / exploited by Bob Arum who'd milk every last drop of blood from his fighters. Floyd wanted around 20 million to fight Oscar but was not willing to give him that, then he would pay him 1-2 million to get out of his contract and a year later he would make around 20-30 million from his fight with Oscar. Floyd for me is the greatest promoter of all time hands down, I still have him in my top 10 P4P list but when it comes to promotion he is the greatest.

Bob Arum as it stands has Manny in a slave contract, he has dictated his opponents largely and that is why we saw him face Horn recently and not Khan. Horn was meant to be Manny's final obligation to Bob, but with the defeat they may not be done yet. Prior to the Horn/Manny fight, Bob being senile signed Horn to a contract and then used his influence to make sure Horn would get the decision in Melbourn. Now Bob Arum has the WBO title on a fighter in his stable regardless of whether or not Manny works with him again, and if Manny does choose to fight again he will have no choice but to work with Bob given his need to beat Horn; but am afraid Manny will need a KO because even if he out box's horn emphatically, he will not get the points victory. Bob will do all he can to make sure the WBO title stays in his house, he will then match his star Terence Crawdford who recently unified hte 140 division with Horn at 147 for the WBO world title.

These promoters are the biggest vermin in sport, that's one thing I've always loved about the UFC you rarely got as much corruption but over the past year or two I've seen some extremely questionable judging...

Don't watch that Holmes v Ali fight but do watch Tyson v Holmes, Ali whispers in Tyson's ear get him for me and Tyson was out to get Holms back for what he did to his hero ;)

It's a big shame in that regard, Floyd learned from the experiences of fighters he looked up to and understood that it was better for him to put his own team together and self-promote his fights. During the 'pretty boy' years Floyd was a KO artist and multi weight world champion that was severely under paid / exploited by Bob Arum who'd milk every last drop of blood from his fighters. Floyd wanted around 20 million to fight Oscar but was not willing to give him that, then he would pay him 1-2 million to get out of his contract and a year later he would make around 20-30 million from his fight with Oscar. Floyd for me is the greatest promoter of all time hands down, I still have him in my top 10 P4P list but when it comes to promotion he is the greatest.

Bob Arum as it stands has Manny in a slave contract, he has dictated his opponents largely and that is why we saw him face Horn recently and not Khan. Horn was meant to be Manny's final obligation to Bob, but with the defeat they may not be done yet. Prior to the Horn/Manny fight, Bob being senile signed Horn to a contract and then used his influence to make sure Horn would get the decision in Melbourn. Now Bob Arum has the WBO title on a fighter in his stable regardless of whether or not Manny works with him again, and if Manny does choose to fight again he will have no choice but to work with Bob given his need to beat Horn; but am afraid Manny will need a KO because even if he out box's horn emphatically, he will not get the points victory. Bob will do all he can to make sure the WBO title stays in his house, he will then match his star Terence Crawdford who recently unified hte 140 division with Horn at 147 for the WBO world title.

These promoters are the biggest vermin in sport, that's one thing I've always loved about the UFC you rarely got as much corruption but over the past year or two I've seen some extremely questionable judging...

Don't watch that Holmes v Ali fight but do watch Tyson v Holmes, Ali whispers in Tyson's ear get him for me and Tyson was out to get Holms back for what he did to his hero ;)

I have watched it when i was watching tyson fights although I did not know the backstory behind it. In the comments below the youtube video everybody was saying how jubilated they were in 1988 when tyson got revenge. That is so unfair according to me. I am very sympathetic towards Larry holmes. I rank him in my Top 5 favorite boxers for his mastery of the jab.

He got unfairly judged throughout his career and got taunted by his opponents for the ali fight. If anybody wanted to exact vengeance for what happened to Ali, they should take it on doctors who cleared him for fight & don king. Poor holmes just was an easy scapegoat

I have watched it when i was watching tyson fights although I did not know the backstory behind it. In the comments below the youtube video everybody was saying how jubilated they were in 1988 when tyson got revenge. That is so unfair according to me. I am very sympathetic towards Larry holmes. I rank him in my Top 5 favorite boxers for his mastery of the jab.

He got unfairly judged throughout his career and got taunted by his opponents for the ali fight. If anybody wanted to exact vengeance for what happened to Ali, they should take it on doctors who cleared him for fight & don king. Poor holmes just was an easy scapegoat

I don't think Larry had to take the fight though, it wasn't some promotional obligation but more of business choice which is why the sentiment towards him is negative in that instance but he is highly respected as a fighter and what he accomplished. Similarly Enzo fought a past it Roy Jones recently who has not been cleared to fight so he obtained a liscense in Russoa, Enzo brutally KO'd him and a lot of his peers and fans lost their respect for him having pursued the fight.

A fighter will always step in the ring and when he is clearly not equipped to be there but clearly facilitated by corruption one should avoid stepping in the ring with them but money talks I suppose, personally I wouldn't be able to live with pummelling a defenceless legend like Ali or Roy Jones jr

I don't think Larry had to take the fight though, it wasn't some promotional obligation but more of business choice which is why the sentiment towards him is negative in that instance but he is highly respected as a fighter and what he accomplished. Similarly Enzo fought a past it Roy Jones recently who has not been cleared to fight so he obtained a liscense in Russoa, Enzo brutally KO'd him and a lot of his peers and fans lost their respect for him having pursued the fight.

A fighter will always step in the ring and when he is clearly not equipped to be there but clearly facilitated by corruption one should avoid stepping in the ring with them but money talks I suppose, personally I wouldn't be able to live with pummelling a defenceless legend like Ali or Roy Jones jr

I saw one of his videos on youtube. He was in tears after the fight while giving post fight press conference. I know I would be in tears too If i had to beat Ali

Bisping says he might retire aftet ufc 217. There are rumours right now that whitaker will be considered the ufc middleweight champ.

Right now that division is pretty ripe with lukehold and yoel romero in the ranks. Also weidman still has some fight in him and will for sure make an attempt at moving up and grabbing the belt

Anyone watch yesterday's event? I didn't realise Tony Ferguson was in the same weight division as Conor McGregor now, I think he'd beat the Irishman to be quite honest. Even the defeated guy Kevin Lee would be really tough opposition. It's time McGregor got back in the Octagon and showed he's still got what it takes for the serious stuff. What do you reckon [MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION]?

Last edited:
Anyone watch yesterday's event? I didn't realise Tony Ferguson was in the same weight division as Conor McGregor now, I think he'd beat the Irishman to be quite honest. Even the defeated guy Kevin Lee would be really tough opposition. It's time McGregor got back in the Octagon and showed he's still got what it takes for the serious stuff. What do you reckon [MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION]?

I've not watched the recent fight yet but heard it was really good, I was banking on Khabib to really test Conor because he's a great all round fighter. Conor always manages to find a way to neutralise all these names so I'd never write him off even in fights that are stylistically awful for him. Can't wait for Joanna Champion v Rose Namajunas that could potentially be fight of the year ! and if JC wins she deserves to be P4P no.1 male or female

Tony was absolutely brilliant and so was lee. Good cardio plus excellent ground game & striking. I think he has got the tools to really challenge connor in the lightweight division.

I've not watched the recent fight yet but heard it was really good, I was banking on Khabib to really test Conor because he's a great all round fighter. Conor always manages to find a way to neutralise all these names so I'd never write him off even in fights that are stylistically awful for him. Can't wait for Joanna Champion v Rose Namajunas that could potentially be fight of the year ! and if JC wins she deserves to be P4P no.1 male or female

Only way rose can beat jc is if she takes it to the ground. If not, I see JC picking her apart & neutralizing her like she did to jessica andrade earlier in ufc 211

Tony was absolutely brilliant and so was lee. Good cardio plus excellent ground game & striking. I think he has got the tools to really challenge connor in the lightweight division.

That's my view as well. Two things which I think will make it really hard for Conor is Ferguson has a good chin so isn't going to be vulnerable to Mcgregor's striking which is his main strength. Secondly, he's got good reach so will also be able to match him punch for punch. I think that's what Conor found hard to deal with in his fights with Diaz, only Diaz is a shot fighter these days so he could get away with it. I have a feeling McGregor is going to avoid both Ferguson and Lee at this weight for a while yet because there's every chance he'd get beat and he won't want to risk losing the ride on the gravy train.

Did you guys check out tony's interview where he started a fight with fabricio werdum. Seems like tony's success is getting to him. Was acting like a total douche

Good to see Khabib back in the Octagon hopefully he makes weight this time.

Back