Trapped between ILT20, SA20 and IPL, PSL gasps for significance

hoshiarpurexpress

First Class Captain
Runs
Trapped between ILT20, SA20 and IPL, PSL gasps for significance

On a hazy Wednesday morning at Lahore's Jilani Park, the PSL unveiled its trophy for the ninth season. The PCB chairman Mohsin Naqvi met each of the six captains as well as the franchise owners. Perhaps there wasn't a set dress code, but it could perhaps best be described as mysterious-casual: Shan Masood, Babar Azam and Shadab Khan wore their team jerseys; Shaheen Shah Afridi showed up in a Lahore Qalandars hoodie; Mohammad Rizwan was dressed all right, while Sarfaraz Ahmed arguably presented as the sharpest of all, but there was no sign of the Quetta Gladiators logo on him. The Qalandars team owner Sameen Rana, in a tracksuit, seemed to have broken off a morning run to hand over the trophy to Naqvi.

It was far removed from the glitz and glamour of earlier years. The high-water mark for such ostentatious opulence was in 2017, when then-chairman Najam Sethi oversaw a similar event, which was, in truth, a gemstone craftsmanship convention disguised as a cricketing occasion. It included vivid descriptions of the 50,000 double-pointed Swarovski crystals that adorned the "Spirit Trophy". According to the PCB website, it took "its inspiration from the brilliance of the universe".

Maybe the most appropriate way to unveil a trophy lies somewhere in the middle of these two, but if 2017 encapsulates the heady optimism Pakistan felt about the PSL at the time, 2024 reveals the eventual direction of travel. The PSL's early seasons managed to bottle the hope and excitement a newer, fresher audience felt about Pakistani cricket. The biggest names in T20 cricket, from Chris Gayle, Andre Russell and Kevin Pietersen to Brendon McCullum, Sunil Narine and AB de Villiers, regularly featured. Every year, the tournament took another significant step towards helping end Pakistan's long drought of hosting cricket in the country, with the atmosphere the 2017 final in Lahore generated among the most electric in recent memory.

As the BBL lost some of its sheen in those years, the PSL unofficially began to brand itself as the second-biggest T20 league behind the IPL. And on a number of metrics, it was hard to argue. As the league returned to Pakistan in its totality, it regularly packed out stadia, particularly for evening games. Team loyalties and fan engagement was organically passionate in a way few leagues could rival. The frequent dominance of ball over bat - from 2016 to 2019, no league had fewer runs per match - meant it provided a product that was different to the run fests such leagues often throw up.

A cursory glance at the overseas participants this year, however, offers a sobering reminder that progress is not always linear, and the PSL's growth cannot be taken for granted.

The platinum overseas category picks this year were Jordan Cox, Daniel Sams, Kieron Pollard (well out of his prime), Rassie van der Dussen, David Willey, Noor Ahmad and Sherfane Rutherford. Noor has already withdrawn from the tournament, and the absentee list that balloons daily, with Rashid Khan, Reece Topley, Lungi Ngidi, Jamie Overton and Tim Seifert all unavailable, while van der Dussen and Tabraiz Shamsi are among those partially present. It is not exactly a list brimming with the sort of quality you'd expect at the second-biggest cricket league.

The dysfunction at the board level has not helped. Since the start of 2021, there have been three PSL seasons and five PCB chairmen. There was an ill-fated dalliance with the Pakistan Junior League and the PCB flirted with the idea of a women's league without ever seriously drawing up plans for it, eventually throwing together three women's exhibition matches and then scrapping it altogether.

But several factors outside the PCB's control also make this a particularly precarious moment for the PSL. The general elections held on February 8 in a bitter political atmosphere captivated the attention of most Pakistanis, as well as the media platforms which would normally have pivoted fully from politics to cricket by now. The PSL has, by contrast, slipped under the radar with almost negligible mainstream media coverage as the fallout from the elections continues with no discernible end in sight.

However, the PSL has greater problems than unfortunate timing. When the league was inaugurated in 2016, the February-March window the tournament has normally occupied was wide open in a calendar that was still relatively uncluttered. Players could use the event as a tune-up ahead of the IPL in April, while those not part of the IPL could push their cases for the T20 Blast and the CPL further down the line. Hosting the tournament in the UAE allowed the PCB to soft-launch the concept with those who would inevitably take coaxing to come to Pakistan, and when the switch was eventually made, the reception was (James Faulkner notwithstanding) universally positive.

But the recent emergence of two leagues, the SA20 and the ILT20, has pushed the PSL into something of a corner. The owners of those teams range from IPL owners to Adani and Glazer, with the PSL's financial abilities paling in comparison. It has resulted in the late winter window becoming among the busiest of the year, hemming the PSL into an ever-tighter sliver of the calendar from mid-February to mid-March.

This has deprived the tournament of the flexibility it was able to deploy as recently as 2022, when it began in late January to accommodate a home series against Australia. This year, the PCB had originally designated the PSL's window to begin on February 8, but with the ILT20 running till February 17, sought to minimise a clash by announcing that as its starting date.

This forced the tournament to run until March 18, well into the month of Ramzan, when religious rituals prohibiting food and drink from sunrise to sunset make it a less desirable window for players and match-going fans alike. The month is determined by the lunar calendar and starts about 11 days earlier each year, which means for at least the next half decade it clashes directly with part or all of the PSL's current slot. Initially, the PCB had assumed moving the tournament into January was the obvious solution, but the current scenario suggests a three-way tie with those two leagues looms large.

Scheduling inconveniences aside, the advent of those leagues means players have much greater choice in where they wish to ply their trade during this time. The SA20 and the ILT20's highest salary bands are significantly higher than the PSL's and both South Africa and the UAE remain more attractive destinations than Pakistan. Despite improvements in Pakistan's safety concerns, player movements still require security to pull out all the stops, and a relatively less permissive social culture makes it difficult for Pakistan to compete with those two countries on non-cricketing factors too. For the best players, the PSL becomes an easier league to skip if they have an SA20 or ILT20 contract before it, and/or an IPL deal to follow.

Simply put, the PSL has gone from being the second-biggest T20 league in the world to the third-biggest in February in the span of 14 months.

The consequence of the IPL immediately following the tournament is that players are likelier to err on the side of caution when it comes to making themselves available for the PSL. Topley was pulled out of the tournament by his board because of a slight niggle sustained in the SA20, with the player eager to play in the IPL and the board keen to ensure he remains fit for the T20 World Cup that follows. Rashid decided to skip the PSL as he nurses a back injury with a view to ensure he can play the IPL.

If the PCB saw these problems coming, there isn't yet a sign of how they planned to deal with them. Naqvi, in fairness, is barely a week into his job, though it's worth remembering that he also currently holds the position of caretaker chief minister of the Punjab province, a side gig that puts him in charge of governing 120 million people.

The financial realities are hard enough to contend with for a cricket board that is willing and able to confront them, and the PCB has of late shown no signs that it is serious on either front. The PSL appears to have drifted into turbulence without a captain at the helm, and as the high winds buffet it from either side, all it can do for now is ride out the waves.

And suddenly, the PSL captains' sartorial choices don't seem like much of a problem after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good article. The PCB needs to move fast and find a better window.

IMO, the obvious solution is for BD, SL, and Pak to pool their resources and launch an Asian Premier League. Three teams each from BD and Pak, with two from SL. It means fewer opportunities for local players, but a much better chance of attracting international talent.

As things stand, BPL and SLPL are non-entitites, and the PSL is headed that way.

This is one of the worst takes I have seen and I feel cricket journalist are peddling this same take without giving any context the PSLs situation. With Pakistan's economy in tatters, its country reeling from a rigged election and security being a huge issue, the PSL was obviously not going to be hyped as much this season. Even with these setbacks, the PSL is still well above these leagues in almost all measurable ability of quality. It's worth more, has more people following it and arguably has bigger and better superstars (Mostly their own domestic superstars).

PSL 9 is yet to begin and we will see how this tournament holds up against the others when it finishes and really see if it is as insignificant as Danyal Rasool thinks it is.

Good article. The PCB needs to move fast and find a better window.
The PSL window is good but the busy ICC fixtures in same period just make things ugly. You wont see such fixtures during IPL window because ICC ~BCCI are now the same thing now.

IMO, the obvious solution is for BD, SL, and Pak to pool their resources and launch an Asian Premier League. Three teams each from BD and Pak, with two from SL. It means fewer opportunities for local players, but a much better chance of attracting international talent.

As things stand, BPL and SLPL are non-entitites, and the PSL is headed that way.

This is the best solution . Hosting cricket in the Caribbean is also expensive. Cricket West Indies should join these 3 nations as well and together - WI/SL/BD/PAK can take a window and have a league with a proper profit sharing model

This will also reduce the number of leagues being played.

What did you expect? The new leagues were deliberately set up by IPL investors to try and drive the PSL out of the market. They have more money and can pay more for top-end players. If Pakistan had a solid functioning economy and balance of payments situation, they wouldn't have dared challenge the PSL. Let PSL continue for now and fix the rest of the economy-these challengers will get destroyed when the alternative is playing before huge passionate crowds in Pakistan.

It’s unfortunate that this is the only Pakistan centric writer they have. Rarely has anything good to say and this article just completely misses the mark.

ILT20 has no following in its own country, and whatever following it does have is relegated to hardcore Indian viewers who would any and every T20 league. SA20 is another one whose existence is dependent on the Indian audience. The PSL is the only league outside of the BBL and the Hundred that can survive without the Indian audience.

As far as the foreign talent available to the PSL, that’s never been its selling point anyway. And once the economy picks back up, the quality of foreign players will pick back up as well.

PSL is compared with IPL, that has to be something worth noticing. People regard IPL as the best league out there so getting a comparison is an achievement on its own.

I was really impressed with the SA20 this year, really was high quality stuff with great players involved. Could definitely seeing it being #2

The PSL window is good but the busy ICC fixtures in same period just make things ugly. You wont see such fixtures during IPL window because ICC ~BCCI are now the same thing now.

IPL is played in Late March to May.

Except England no other team has its home season then.

Right now SA NZ and Aus have their home season going on.

Are you saying that 3 countries should shift their home season for PSL?

The new leagues were deliberately set up by IPL investors to try and drive the PSL out of the market.

Okay let us assume the world revolves around you for a second.... Why would those investers try to "drive PSL out of the market"? I mean what do they have in it for them?

It’s unfortunate that this is the only Pakistan centric writer they have. Rarely has anything good to say and this article just completely misses the mark.

ILT20 has no following in its own country, and whatever following it does have is relegated to hardcore Indian viewers who would any and every T20 league. SA20 is another one whose existence is dependent on the Indian audience. The PSL is the only league outside of the BBL and the Hundred that can survive without the Indian audience.

As far as the foreign talent available to the PSL, that’s never been its selling point anyway. And once the economy picks back up, the quality of foreign players will pick back up as well.

SA20 has very good crowds. The most viewable league.

The Hundred is in talks with Indians to buy teams. Its not doing well and needs Indian money.

PSL is now a also run league. ILT20 offers twice the salary and SA20 1.5 times.

These things won't change anytime soon.

What did you expect? The new leagues were deliberately set up by IPL investors to try and drive the PSL out of the market. They have more money and can pay more for top-end players. If Pakistan had a solid functioning economy and balance of payments situation, they wouldn't have dared challenge the PSL. Let PSL continue for now and fix the rest of the economy-these challengers will get destroyed when the alternative is playing before huge passionate crowds in Pakistan.

Ok. So now what?

Rameez Raja said if PSL removed salary cap, players will choose PSL over IPL. When will that happen?

SA20 has very good crowds. The most viewable league.

Agree. Comfortably the second best T20 league in the world right now.

Everyone went after them for having IPL team-names and rightly so but in hindsight it turned out to be a masterstroke as that has made it possible for a pretty big section of Indian fans to have some kind of connection to these franchises and also the quality of cricket is pretty good as well.

It's at a stage where the Big Bash league was back in the 2016-18 period.

Given the political and economic situation in Pakistan, Cricket is secondary at this time.

Not in SA it isn't. Quality is good but the crowds are small

Widely followed based on what metrics?

South Africa, the SA20 Season 1 was the most watched sport event on average on SuperSport Premium during the period, with a cumulative viewership of 8.96m. India, which is a key strategic market given the six IPL-linked local franchises, reported 5 billion viewing time minutes, 131 million people reached and 104 million digital video views

It's very popular here in India because of the franchise connections.

South Africa, the SA20 Season 1 was the most watched sport event on average on SuperSport Premium during the period, with a cumulative viewership of 8.96m. India, which is a key strategic market given the six IPL-linked local franchises, reported 5 billion viewing time minutes, 131 million people reached and 104 million digital video views

Im not sure what things like viewing time minutes and people reached really mean.

Im not sure what things like viewing time minutes and people reached really mean.

Okay I'll use simpler words..

SA20 league was the most viewed sporting competition in South Africa during it's run time last season.

And it's the second most viewed franchise T20 league in the biggest cricketing market i.e India.

Okay I'll use simpler words..

SA20 league was the most viewed sporting competition in South Africa during it's run time last season.

And it's the second most viewed franchise T20 league in the biggest cricketing market i.e India.

i would expect it to be the most viewed in South Africa, I mean I don't think they had much else on.
What does the second move viewed franchise T20 league in India translate to in terms of numbers. Usually when a writer shifts metrics they are trying to be a bit creative. They mentioned 8.96 cumulative viewership in South Africa and random numbers with viewing minutes in India. What does those random numbers translate to in viewers?

Feel free to use words that are complex. I can understand them.

i would expect it to be the most viewed in South Africa, I mean I don't think they had much else on.
What does the second move viewed franchise T20 league in India translate to in terms of numbers. Usually when a writer shifts metrics they are trying to be a bit creative. They mentioned 8.96 cumulative viewership in South Africa and random numbers with viewing minutes in India. What does those random numbers translate to in viewers?

Feel free to use words that are complex. I can understand them.

Cumulative is same as the "people reached" term they used for India. It's a norm in press to not use a word twice in succession even if they want to express the same meaning.

In addition to all these numbers, by virtue of living in India, I can certainly say that SA20 is widely followed and is comfortably the most viewed foreign league currently. Same kits, same team names and a lot of players playing for the same franchise group plays a role.

Ofcourse PSL will be the second most popular league in the world based on some other metrics like domestic viewership, presence of bigger local stars (Babar, Shaheen etc being much more popular in Pakistan than Markram, Rabada etc in South Africa) due to the size of Pakistani fanbase.

But as a whole, SA20 edges out comfortably just like BBL did until about 2019.

Cumulative is same as the "people reached" term they used for India. It's a norm in press to not use a word twice in succession even if they want to express the same meaning.

In addition to all these numbers, by virtue of living in India, I can certainly say that SA20 is widely followed and is comfortably the most viewed foreign league currently. Same kits, same team names and a lot of players playing for the same franchise group plays a role.
I don't think it's the same, it seems like the people reached could be people who had minimal engagement via a digital platform.

I literally said PSL would appear to be the second best league based on the metrics I gave.

I literally said PSL would appear to be the second best league based on the metrics I gave. Read the full post.

On what basis then SA20 edges it to you?

I dont really care about PSL or IPL or which is better or worse. These are corporate entities I dont have any affiliation to them no matter what countries initial they put infront of them.

I am interested in the overall franchise bubble and whether its sustainable.

I dont really care about PSL or IPL or which is better or worse. These are corporate entities I dont have any affiliation to them no matter what countries initial they put infront of them.

I am interested in the overall franchise bubble and whether its sustainable.

All T20 leagues suck. T20 leagues are for women, kids, and casual fans who don't understand cricket well.

Real cricket is Test and ODI.

In SA it hardly gers a murmur. Even their national team gets little interest.

All T20 leagues suck. T20 leagues are for women, kids, and casual fans who don't understand cricket well.

Real cricket is Test and ODI.
Real cricket is only sustainable when India tours.

Pakistan can't rely on a big bucks India series and so, therefore, needs to explore other options to generate cash, or they will quickly become isolated in cricket, especially as Indians buy up all the leagues.

Based on better overall cricketing quality, players , broadcast and overall viewing standards. Obviously I'm saying this from an Indian POV so take it for what you may.

What was spot on to me is that PSL fails to get A-grade foreign talent. The truth is that many good foreign players don't really want to spend a month in Pakistan especially right after a turbulent election cycle, and that PSL cannot afford to spend as much as other leagues on foreign players. If this doesn't change, PSL could fall deeper into the abyss as the years go by.

What has been impressive, though, is that we have managed to attract some great coaches this year, with Shane Watson, Mike Hesson and Catherine Dawson, etc. I'm also excited to see Michael Clarke in comms.

What was spot on to me is that PSL fails to get A-grade foreign talent. The truth is that many good foreign players don't really want to spend a month in Pakistan especially right after a turbulent election cycle, and that PSL cannot afford to spend as much as other leagues on foreign players. If this doesn't change, PSL could fall deeper into the abyss as the years go by.

What has been impressive, though, is that we have managed to attract some great coaches this year, with Shane Watson, Mike Hesson and Catherine Dawson, etc. I'm also excited to see Michael Clarke in comms.

PSL should focus on Sri Lankan, Afghans and Bangladeshis for the bulk of the overseas. They need to find a window when these guys are definitely available.

Sprinkle in some junior lesser-known players from Aus and England ( players like Harry Brook, Will Jacks, and Tim David were a few years ago).

The stadiums were mostly packed whenever I watched the SA20. It's also brought more casual fans into the sport, at least it looks like that.

White ball cricket is still somewhat popular in SA

Test cricket is virtually dead.

PSL does need to attract some bigger names like it used to in its initial few years with the likes of Pietersen, Watson, Sammy, Gayle etc coming over.

However, the quality is still there and it is probably the second most watched league after the IPL.

I highly doubt the other leagues pull the same number of viewers as the PSL does, with a 200 mil population in Pak and from foreign Pakistani's around the world also tuning in.

PSL doesn't need a merger or anything - it's fine by itself.

I was really impressed with the SA20 this year, really was high quality stuff with great players involved. Could definitely seeing it being #2
Yes SA20 is very good quality. Great player investment, competitive pitches, very good crowd, probably the best quality of telecast ( in my opinion better than IPL), makes it a huge attraction. It also falls nicely in India prime time.

SA20 was a surprise for me. I never thought it would have any success. But from my memory since 2007 world T20, i always loved any competition in SA. Even 2003 world cup was really nice. They pitches, grounds, coverage, atmosphere everything is usually top notch. There was one edition of IPL happened in SA. That was a huge success too.

I don't know why certain posters are getting so defensive. I don't disagree with any of the views expressed in this article. The T20 League market is getting very saturated, very fast. And high-quality foreign talent is the lifeblood of any T20 league. If you have two T20 leagues taking around the same time frame as the PSL that may much higher then obviously players will be more inclined to participate in them.

The PSL needs to evolve or it will get left behind. The quality of foreign talent this time around is just not that great. And honestly having seen alot of SA20, I have to say that the product is very solid. Everything from the coverage, to the quality of cricket was top-notch.

This is one of the worst takes I have seen and I feel cricket journalist are peddling this same take without giving any context the PSLs situation. With Pakistan's economy in tatters, its country reeling from a rigged election and security being a huge issue, the PSL was obviously not going to be hyped as much this season. Even with these setbacks, the PSL is still well above these leagues in almost all measurable ability of quality. It's worth more, has more people following it and arguably has bigger and better superstars (Mostly their own domestic superstars).

PSL 9 is yet to begin and we will see how this tournament holds up against the others when it finishes and really see if it is as insignificant as Danyal Rasool thinks it is.
Good post. I think people think that all t20 leagues are the same and need the same level of razzmatazz as the IPL. THIS psl year was bound to be different from the last few but it is always an evolving concept anyway and there is no objective measure of what is the 2nd or 3rd best league. Yes other leagues will have more money and are largely batfests with the glitz and showmanship but it’s obvious they are hyped up.

The PSL is a a uniquely Pakistani affair and the best measure is how
A) local talent is nurtured
B) how profitable it is for the sponsors and franchises.

Every year you see real competition for places in a way that you don’t see in any other aspect of Pakistan cricket. I realise it’s not for test fans but still it’s the one arena where you can see a step up for local cricketers. There is real attachment by the fans to the regions that are represented and even the international players seem to be wedded to their teams (hales and weisse in particular)

It just remains to be seen if the franchises run their little units better than the PCB itself is run which may be the only learning experience for the dysfunctional PCB. HOPEFULLY they can learn from a privatised franchise system.

According to reports, some of the PSL franchise owners are appealing to the PCB to find another window for the PSL because the competition from Big Bash, BPL, ILT20, SAT20 has now dented the PSL and most marque foreign players want to rest during the PSL Window so that they can participate in the IPL.

Forget about other leagues, even women's ipl is better than psl.psl have to be reinvented and rebrand itself
All tickets in women's ipl are sold now.

According to reports, some of the PSL franchise owners are appealing to the PCB to find another window for the PSL because the competition from Big Bash, BPL, ILT20, SAT20 has now dented the PSL and most marque foreign players want to rest during the PSL Window so that they can participate in the IPL.
Best move for the PSL would be to hold it's auction after the IPL auction. Second, move the PSL to when the IPL is played. This will improve overseas player participation and also have guaranteed window.

Best move for the PSL would be to hold it's auction after the IPL auction. Second, move the PSL to when the IPL is played. This will improve overseas player participation and also have guaranteed window.

Moving the PSL to when the IPL is played will be suicide for the PSL, all major broadcasters, sponsors and players will prefer the IPL to the PSL in a heartbeat.

The best bet for the PCB to find a spot in October November when the weather in Pakistan will be decent for playing cricket and to swap their local T20, ODI tournament or some other international series to the February March Window.

And yes the PSL auction definitely needs to happen after the IPL auction

Moving the PSL to when the IPL is played will be suicide for the PSL, all major broadcasters, sponsors and players will prefer the IPL to the PSL in a heartbeat.

The best bet for the PCB to find a spot in October November when the weather in Pakistan will be decent for playing cricket and to swap their local T20, ODI tournament or some other international series to the February March Window.

And yes the PSL auction definitely needs to happen after the IPL auction
Every T20 league has it's own unique audience. They do not overlap. So broadcasters will show up. Also, the broadcaster bidding for IPL is not the same as the one bidding for PSL.

Every T20 league has it's own unique audience. They do not overlap. So broadcasters will show up. Also, the broadcaster bidding for IPL is not the same as the one bidding for PSL.

In an ideal world I would like all T20 leagues to support each other, sign non competition clauses and discuss scheduling with each other to avoid overlap.

Yes and No.

In Pakistan, PSL may get more viewers but outside of it, because most audience will be attracted towards the IPL because of their country's players involvement in the IPL.

Then there is the question of sponsors and advertisers.

These are what top players are getting in various leagues around the world:

IPL: USD 2 million
IL T20: USD 450k
South Africa: USD 400k
BBL: USD 300,000
PSL: USD 170k
BPL: USD 80k

Foreigners in Pakistan are mainly confined to their hotels due to security concerns, they are also hesitating to being their families over. So to spend 1 month in Pakistan, frankly is not particularly fun for them. And they arn't paid too well either. As such, we will always struggle to attract good foreign players. Something needs to change, otherwise we will continue to only attract 'has-been' players.

Just look at the difference here. Even WPL has a higher prize money than PSL let alone IPL.

-------------------------------

How Pakistan Super League Prize Money Compares To WPL And IPL

The Pakistan Super League (PSL) 2024 concluded with Islamabad United taking home the title for the 'record' third time in the league's history. The joyous moment for the franchise came just a day after Royal Challengers Bangalore won the Women's Premier League (WPL) 2024 title, for the first time in their history. While the two T20 leagues have concluded, the gigantic Indian Premier League (IPL) is set to begin, with its 17th campaign kicking off on March 22.

Islamabad United, who won the PSL 2024 title, earned a prize money of 14,00,00,000 Pakistani rupees (INR 4.13 crore approx) while the runners-up Multan Sultans bagged a sum of Rs PKR 5,60,00,000 (INR 1.65 crore approx).

When it comes to the IPL, the Chennai Super Kings (CSK) bagged a prize money of a whopping Rs 20 crore for winning the IPL 2023 campaign. Gujarat Titans, who were beaten in the final, pocketed Rs 13 crore last season.

In the WPL 2024, RCB were given a prize money of Rs 6 crore for winning the title while the Delhi Capitals, the runners-up in WPL 2024, earned Rs 3 crore as prize money.

IPL 2023:
  • Winners: Chennai Super Kings (INR 20 crore)
  • Runners-up: Gujarat Titans (INR 13 crore)
WPL 2024:
  • Winners: Royal Challengers Bangalore (INR 6 crore)
  • Runners-up: Delhi Capitals (INR 3 crore)
PSL 2024:
  • Winners: Islamabad United (INR 4.13 crore)
  • Runners-up: Multan Sultans (INR 1.65 crore)
As can be seen from the figures, the Indian Premier League is leaps and bounds ahead of the rest in the tally. While the Pakistan Super League is considered as a lucrative league, it isn't as financially evolved as the Women's Premier League is.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is the richest cricketing body in the world, and hence, the financials involved in the IPL and the WPL stand much ahead of their counterparts.

NDTV

I suppose a question I would have is: is it necessary for all of league cricket to be significant? As long as players have the opportunity to make good money and some viewers enjoy the show I suppose it’s serving its purpose. I don’t find any of them very important and certainly not as important as international cricket. My opinion is to see them for what they are which is just fun cricket that is not as serious as international cricket.

Just look at the difference here. Even WPL has a higher prize money than PSL let alone IPL.

-------------------------------

How Pakistan Super League Prize Money Compares To WPL And IPL

The Pakistan Super League (PSL) 2024 concluded with Islamabad United taking home the title for the 'record' third time in the league's history. The joyous moment for the franchise came just a day after Royal Challengers Bangalore won the Women's Premier League (WPL) 2024 title, for the first time in their history. While the two T20 leagues have concluded, the gigantic Indian Premier League (IPL) is set to begin, with its 17th campaign kicking off on March 22.

Islamabad United, who won the PSL 2024 title, earned a prize money of 14,00,00,000 Pakistani rupees (INR 4.13 crore approx) while the runners-up Multan Sultans bagged a sum of Rs PKR 5,60,00,000 (INR 1.65 crore approx).

When it comes to the IPL, the Chennai Super Kings (CSK) bagged a prize money of a whopping Rs 20 crore for winning the IPL 2023 campaign. Gujarat Titans, who were beaten in the final, pocketed Rs 13 crore last season.

In the WPL 2024, RCB were given a prize money of Rs 6 crore for winning the title while the Delhi Capitals, the runners-up in WPL 2024, earned Rs 3 crore as prize money.

IPL 2023:
  • Winners: Chennai Super Kings (INR 20 crore)
  • Runners-up: Gujarat Titans (INR 13 crore)
WPL 2024:
  • Winners: Royal Challengers Bangalore (INR 6 crore)
  • Runners-up: Delhi Capitals (INR 3 crore)
PSL 2024:
  • Winners: Islamabad United (INR 4.13 crore)
  • Runners-up: Multan Sultans (INR 1.65 crore)
As can be seen from the figures, the Indian Premier League is leaps and bounds ahead of the rest in the tally. While the Pakistan Super League is considered as a lucrative league, it isn't as financially evolved as the Women's Premier League is.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is the richest cricketing body in the world, and hence, the financials involved in the IPL and the WPL stand much ahead of their counterparts.

NDTV

Indian market is totally different and one of a kind.

Pakistan's more realistic competition are the other remaining nations

PSL needs to move away from the Feb window as that's crowded by betting-heavy, vermilionized SA and ILT leagues. This year was bad for PSL dominance, and it'll decline further if they decide to sandwich themselves again.

I enjoyed this podcast and discussion b/w Dr Nauman, Rashid Latif and Salman Sarwar Butt. Watch from 18:00 onwards on their tips and suggestions to both the PCB and the Franchises on how to move the PSL forward

I will summarize their discussions below

1) Both the PCB and the PSL Franchises need to stop treating the PSL as an event to hold for the sake of it and actually treat it like a proper professional franchise league i.e. just hold the draft at this date, book the event in a certain time period and get it over with. They need to both have a combined vision for the league which should complement each other

- Both the PCB and the PSL Franchises need to identify their target market inside Pakistan i.e. cricket loving local population and Outside Pakistan i.e. cricket loving Pakistani expatriate population, foreigners and keep thinking of ways on how to tap into them.

- Both the PCB and the PSL Franchises need to think in terms off the audience is watching a 4 hour movie, how do we make the 4 hour movie a memorable experience from an entertainment, fan engagement, stadium quality point of view where they will keep wanting to come back for more

2) Seperate the PSL affairs, management from the PCB so that changes in the PCB management have no impact on the PSL ownership. My recommendation is to see if the PSL can be listed on the Karachi Stock Exchange where the PCB can be the majority shareholders but can invite investment from the general public, this can be a good source for the PSL to attract, generate capital, finances and to generate fully audited financial statements for the general public. A PSL BOD od Directors, CEO can be appointed by the Shareholders to run the affairs of the PSL professionally and independently from the PCB

3) Once the 10th season is over and the contract with the existing franchises is over, there is a need to massively overhaul the contracts b/w the PCB and the Franchises and to improve, professionalize it. Both the PCB and the PSL Franchises should work in partnership, co-operation and the PCB should step in to help the franchises as much as possible and help them with the cricketing side of things to the maximum extent. The PCB should definately give away the existing PSL franchises to the existing owners in Perpetuity provided they meet certain conditions and standards. Perpetuity doesn't mean they now own the Franchise forever and they can do whatever they want with the Franchise without any accountability or questions asked. Mcdonald's for e.g. gives away rights to a Franchise to a Franchisee but if the Franchisee doesn't meet standards or doesn't deliver then Mcdonalds reserves the right to take back the Franchise rights. Franchises need to be educated and encouraged to do away from their rent seeking behavior i.e. i have paid this much in the franchise fee for the year, how much return am i getting this year? They need to be encouraged to treat their franchise as a proper business and cricket development venture as oppossed to treating it as a side kick, part time hobby to their other main business activities. The EPL Franchises in England or NBA Franchises in the US don't shut up shop once the English Football season or the North American Basketball season is over, they operate 24/7/365.

- The PCB is now facing very stiff competition from SA T20, ILT20, Big Bash, BPL, Hundred, CPL, American T20 League let alone IPL. PSL in terms of remuneration is at number 6 which is not good enough and this is now having an impact on the quality of players coming to the PSL and the fact that the PSL is being held before the IPL further diminishes the chances to attract top tier quality players who prefer to rest, rejuvenate for their $1-2 million IPL contracts. Salman Sarwar is suggesting the following measures

1) Both the PCB and the PSL Franchises have to co-operate and work in partnership as far as the Salary Caps, remunerations are concerned, if a PSL franchise is contributing $1 million to the salaries of the players, officials, the PCB should bite the bullet and loan an additional $1-$1.5 to the Franchise in the short term to boost the chances of attracting top tier foreign talent

2) There has to be standards as far as foreign players are concerned as well, having foreign players who are working as coaches, assistants in other leagues will only dilute the PSL.

3) Have a diverse strategy i.e. consider auction/direct signings for foreign players, top Pakistani players, pay the foreign players in USD and the Pakistani players in PKR and only have a draft for the local Pakistani players.

- The Franchises have to provide an annual business plan, management plan i.e. the management you hire has to be professional, qualified, revenue generation plan i.e. you need to earn a minimum amount of revenues every year, cricket development plans i.e. you have to put aside a certain amount of money for academies, talent hunt programs through your city/region throughout the year, scouting to the PSL authorities annually and there has to be a monitoring committee which ensures all the conditions are being met and it these conditions are not met then the PSL authorities should warn the franchises that the PSL authority reserves the right to strip away the ownership rights.

The PCB as the regulator should educate the Franchises in this regard in terms of how to make the most of their commercial partnerships for e.g. if Islamabad United strikes a commercial partnership with Tim Hortons or Food Panda, IU should be encouraged to go all out to recruit fans to sign up as members with them i.e. basic members, gold members, platinum members e.t.c. and in exchange they will get good deals, discounts with Tim Hortons/Food Panda or a major airline and this way Tim Hortons/Food Panda as a reward will increase their investment, sponsorship with Islamabad United. Now imagine if IU strikes similar partnership with 10 other commercial enterprises in different sectors, think about the joint benefits that both IU and these commercial entities will enjoy. If IU goes to a commercial sponsor and demands $3 million for the year, they will have to justify their demands to the target sponsor i.e. we have a very active passionate fanbase who actively uses your products and will give you this much visibility, increased market share. Big commercial sponsors are not going to be interested in investing big amounts in a franchise if they see the Franchise shuts up shop for 10-11 months in the year and only becomes active during the PSL season. If a Franchise complains they can't afford to run their activities for the whole year, tell them that they have to be creative with their sponsors i.e. look sponsor my cricket academy, talent hunt programs for the whole year, this will give you increased visibility and publicity. Ask a Commercial partner, sponsor to fund an internal U-19, Emerging player, Women's team competition for that franchise televised and the commercial partner will benefit.

Similarly Karachi Kings should leverage the ARY platform or partner up with their commercial partners and hold a Karachi School or College Cricket competition. All these things are possible with out of the box thinking.

Alternatively, the franchises could hold charity games or welfare games where they raise funds for many different causes

- Franchises should be told to provide their Marketing/Branding strategies for the Franchise which will cater to the local audience and external audience every year to the PCB

- In terms of the Management and Professionals the Franchises hire for their affairs, they need to be educated that running cricketing operations, coaching, talent hunt programs is exclusively the domain of cricketers but they need to hire proper qualified, experienced professionals for the other roles i.e. CEO, COO, Head of Marketing/Branding, Finance/Accounting, Media e.t.c. The CEO of Kolkatta Knight Riders (KKR) is Venky Mysore and he is known as the Insurance Guru in both Asia and North America. He has appointed the best possible people in KKR for Marketing/Branding, Finance/Accounting, Media, Legal e.t.c and he always gives his business team a vision, target i.e. we need to take KKR's Commercial and Brand Value from X to Y by this time period. Similar level of professionalism and passion is needed for the management teams in the PSL Franchises. The problem with the PSL Franchise Owners is that they have a Seth mindset where they don't want to delegate power, authority to others, in fact some owners even interfere in the cricketing affairs i.e. the captain and coaches for which they are not qualified (Rashid Latif has apparently witnessed this many times while working with Karachi Kings). Their present approach is to just appoint one or two blue eyed people to run the entire franchise and thats it which is another reason why the franchises have stagnated and are not growing. Gautam Gambhir once narrated that when he took on the role at KKR, he had a very frank meeting with Shahrukh Khan which didn't last for more than 7 minutes where he told him to leave the cricketing affairs to him, i will not interfere in your showbiz, acting domain and you don't interfere in the cricketing side of things.

- There is a very high risk that the existing PSL Franchise owners are deliberately under investing their resources in the PSL out of fear that they will be forced to pay much higher fair market values once their rights are up if they wish to retain their franchise. This is also why they are hessitant to encourage more franchise teams and are even more hessitant to encourage foreign buyers for franchises because they know all these activities will increase the pressure on them to increase their resources, drive up the value of the franchises.

4) Every team should be assigned a home ground by the PCB i.e. National Bank Stadium/Rafi Stadium for Karachi Kings, Qadhaffi Stadium for Lahore Qalandars, Rawalpindi Stadium for Islamabad United, Multan Stadium for Multan Sultants, Arbab Niaz Stadium for Peshawar Zalmi, Bugti Stadium for Quetta Gladiators. Every team should get the right to earn 100% of the gate receipts, commercial sponsorships from their home grounds, this will serve as incentive to drive up their fan engagements and to increase their promotional, membership drives to push fans to watch the games in the stadiums

4) He doesn't agree with the complaints that the National T20 Domestic Cup, Sindh Premier League, Kashmir Premier League e.t.c. are cannibalizing the share of the PSL in the market. The PSL's quality, eye balls and vision are way superior to these leagues and in fact these leagues can serve as a feeder to the PSL. The Tamil Nadu Premier League or Karnataka T-20 League did not harm IPL in India.

Foreigners in Pakistan are mainly confined to their hotels due to security concerns, they are also hesitating to being their families over. So to spend 1 month in Pakistan, frankly is not particularly fun for them. And they arn't paid too well either. As such, we will always struggle to attract good foreign players. Something needs to change, otherwise we will continue to only attract 'has-been' players.
What is Ilt20? Also wow at South Africa..

Both Mitchel Starc and Cummins are above 2 million USD..

Salman Sarwar Butt addresses the complaints from the excuses the Franchise owners make with regards to developing merchandising, clothing products, brands where they blame the weak piracy, counterfeit practices in Pakistan for not wanting to invest heavily in the franchises retail activities.

He responds these are just lame excuses because there are so many high end, popular clothing brands in Pakistan who are unaffected by counter feit products where their target market will always buy their products because of originality, quality, brand name, you have to identify your target market and go after them with a quality product.

Just saw what it is, lol wow do ppl watch that, does have many INTL stars.

All franchisees bar one are owned by Indians, some by IPL owners. Last season wasn't a hit. This season was popular in India.

Need to move the league window to mid oct to mid Nov at the start of the t20 cycle. After the English season and before the start of BBL. Weather will be acceptable. Also need to increase marquee player payments. Even if it means less payments for younger players/umpires/commentators etc.

ILT20 is financially unsustainable but being done solely for the purpose of hurting PSL.

Now we have a lot of cricket leagues in line. I'm not sure how bilateral series will survive and find a window in the future.

Need to move the league window to mid oct to mid Nov at the start of the t20 cycle. After the English season and before the start of BBL. Weather will be acceptable. Also need to increase marquee player payments. Even if it means less payments for younger players/umpires/commentators etc.

ILT20 is financially unsustainable but being done solely for the purpose of hurting PSL.
lets say everyone is out to hurt PSL and Pakistan cricket..They are enemies of Pakistan. What is PCB doing about it?

Back